PDA

View Full Version : Listening Time

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

ScrambledGregs
07-22-2008, 07:24 PM
Don't you think we ought-a have a master thread for discussing the musics we are currently consuming?? S..sure we do!!

Please come back.
Note that these don't have to be new albums. Just talk about whatever you're enjoying at the moment, offer a description or critique...whatever you feel like.

My current listenings:

Beck- Modern Guilt: I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. It can best be described as 60s rock meeting modern day hip hop production and looping/sampling goodness. This is probably Beck's best album since Midnite Vultures in my opinion.

PJ Harvey- Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea: I often feel male guilt for neglecting female artists, but PJ Harvey is the kind of artist you can set your watch to. I haven't heard a bad album from her yet, and this piece from 2000 is her self described "melodic/pop" album, though from her usual skewed musical vision. Come for the duet with Radiohead's Thom Yorke, stay for the...well, everything else. 'The Whores Hustle and the Hustlers Whore' is one of the best songs she's ever written, and it almost makes me want to grant her the title of the female Nick Cave. Yeah, I know they dated, shut up.

Comets on Fire- Avatar: Surprise, they went even further away from spastic noise-rock and more toward late 60s/early 70s classic rock/power trio this time out!! Funny story: when I bought their Blue Cathedral album, a female record store employee with crazy huge green punk hair told me she loved the band and asked if this one was as noisy as their early stuff (of which I had Field Recording From The Sun). I told her that no, apparently it was a little more reserved and classic rock-y. She looked genuinely sad about it. It was the first time a girl liked music that was more crazy and/or noisy than me.

Belle & Sebastian- Tigermilk: I don't know if this album will ever shake its reputation as the band's hard-to-find debut. I kind of feel like it's been overrated as a result of its former scarcity, but now that it's easy to find I hope more people realize that the band has gotten better since. If You're Feeling Sinister is still probably their best 'classic' twee-pop album, but you'd be remiss if you didn't give their newer, more overtly power-pop albums a try, especially Dear Catastrophe Waitress and The Life Pursuit.

Guided By Voices- Live From Austin, TX: A double disc affair that condenses their performance on Austin City Limits before their break-up at the end of 2004. Or something like that; I'm none too clear on the particulars. Still, this may make you a believer in ex-school teacher Bob Pollard's band, a ridiculous prolific man inside and out of Guided By Voices. He really is (or maybe was; I don't follow his new stuff) the kind of artist who writes and throws out more good songs in a day than most bands release in their lifetime, and the band's scattershot, album hopping, booze soaked, banter filled live sets are the stuff of legend. Please go buy their The Electrifying Conclusion DVD, which is the full 4-hourish last concert they ever played, and a testament to a man who made a career out of being a drunk genius who turned a 4-track/lofi loving indie rock band into an arena rock, beer fueled, swaggering force to be reckoned with by sheer force of will.

Dizzy
07-22-2008, 07:31 PM
I don't think so. We have several threads devoted music, recently one devoted to classical. I am currently listening the sounds of screaming children. :mad:

KCar
07-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Apparat - Walls: I've been seriously digging this Icelandic band lately. It's pretty trippy electronic stuff that fans of Radiohead can certainly get behind, and the single-strength track, "Hailing from the Edge," is definitely MTFT.

Sarcasmorator
07-22-2008, 08:30 PM
Aw, I thought this was going to be a mix-exchange revival. Oh well.

Been listening to a lot of Flight of the Conchords, Spoon and and since I just saw "The Dark Knight" a bit of the "Batman Begins" soundtrack as well until I can pick up the new movie's score.

pence
07-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Seeing as I consume more music than video games, I wholly endorse this thread. Oh, and the thread dedicated to new music where I posted some release dates and stuff has fallen off the first page.

But holy crap what am I listening to get to the point pence!!

Be Your Own Pet - Get Awkward
Scuzzy punk kids who have food fights and stay out late every night drinking. Lead singer gets two songs about ditching her boyfriend, more about dissing her peer group in general, and her male bandmates shout things like UNLEASH THE BEAST! and SUCKS TO BE THE JANITOR! Catchy as hell, too.

DJ Yoda - Fabriclive 39
It's a mix cd, a bit of a mashup even; the Violent Femmes, old school hip-hop, grime, drum and bass, calypso. Like Girl Talk if he'd relax and let the songs do the work, or DJ Shadow in a world of hypersaturated colorful party people.

Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
I can't really make an informed judgement because I just heard it for the first time, but I'm still buzzing from the first listen. So it merits special mention. Standout moment: hardcore blastbeats, Elvis, and Bad Brains in the same song.

nunix
07-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Apparently the new Sigur Ros album is out, so I need to pick that up here sometime this week and then probably listen to that nonstop.

Secret Punch
07-23-2008, 09:02 AM
I have been trying to get into hip-hop more because the blinding whiteness of my usual tastes got boring. As such I am pretty deep into Saul Williams' back-catalogue (it's awesome, you pretty much need Amethyst Rock Star) and I have tried some other things but they haven't tended to work out as well. The Nicolay/Kay collaboration Time:Line is only interesting as long as you can pretty much ignore the rhymes and focus on the production, for instance, and I am extremely disappointed by Tribe.

Also I just got the new Bodies of Water album. No verdict yet as I haven't actually gotten to listen through it. But you see what I mean? So fucking white.

nunix
07-26-2008, 02:03 AM
UPDATE: Yes the new album is great. I read something about Gobbledigook being poppy and "betraying the sound" or whatever, but I freakin' love that song, empowers me to want to go out and DO things.

EDIT: Also I'm back to listening to Newsom's "Ys" regularly again. You! Yes, you. You were going to make a trite comment about her singing voice. Please come over here so I can gut you like the stupid flesh-blob you are. Everyone else who either had nothing to say, which is fine, or who wanted to also express appreciation, you may now do so!

Secret Punch
07-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Joanna Newsom is the best and fuck anyone who makes fun of her voice right in the ass.

I have this big long rant about how much it infuriates me that people turned me off on Milk-Eyed Mender for years by dismissing it as "cute" when in fact a lot of it is really caustic and cutting and cruel. They were all like, "A girl with a harp, LOL, let's not pay attention to anything she says."

standing8
07-26-2008, 10:42 AM
This past week I've been listening to a few albums.

The Bake Sale by The Cool Kids: All of the Hip Hop I really get into nowadays is from Chicago. Oh and VA too. When is NY Hip Hop gonna wake up and kick the Souths ass? It's like the Mid West is the new East Coast and The South is the new West Coast.

Purple Rain by Prince: I don't like a couple songs on this but I'm merely nitpicking. Just the two, everything else, absolutely classic. I wish "I Wanna Be Your Lover" and "Soft and Wet" were on this in place of "Computer Blue" and "Darling Nikki". Still an amazing album.

Game by Perfume: My friend spent about $200 on J-Pop on Yesasia and bought this. $200 for like six albums. I love the packaging of Japanese audio CD's but they just cost too much. Even singles are more than whole albums here. Perfume is very bubbly techno, I like it.....alot.

Veni, Vidi, Vicious by The Hives: Love this album. Why did you guys go and have to work with Timbo? Just take it back to VVV.

taidan
07-26-2008, 11:49 AM
I never feel cool enough in these threads.

I mean shit, the only thing I can write in these is that I listened to OK Computer for the first time ever last month, which isn't a joke.

Phat
07-26-2008, 12:06 PM
"Introducing" by Foxy Shazam which is holy wow just watch. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwByaOiorZ0&feature=related)

TEN MINUTES LATER OPINION: This is not very good.

mr_bungle700
07-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Joanna Newsom is the best and fuck anyone who makes fun of her voice right in the ass.

And Ys is a masterpiece.

I discovered Clammbon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn0T2MT-DWs) - and by extension, Ikuko Harada (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrLPVEEtvVc) - today! I'm excited.

Mightyblue
07-26-2008, 08:59 PM
Hirano Aya - MonSTAR: It's J-Pop yeah, but not your bog-standard-all-synthwork J-Pop either. While there's a number of her past singles on the CD,there's also a number of original songs that cover a gamut of musical influences, mostly involving some form of guitar work. It's definitely on the better side of the genre though, even if I could probably live without hearing Hare Hare Yukai again.

Pooch
07-27-2008, 07:01 AM
Hey! Only one of these records features music recorded after 1980! I'm so current!

Funkadelic - One Nation Under a Groove
Great funk rock record, or greatest funk rock record? Songs like "One Nation Under a Groove" and "Who Says a Funk Band Can't Play Rock?!" make even this uncoordinated white boy want to get up and groove.

The Who - Live at Leeds
Rock Band's Who pack got me listening to this again. I still don't care for the meandering jams at the end of the record, but it's still the best live album to come out of the '60s (even if it was released in 1970). Even the lesser-known tracks like "Heaven and Hell" will rock you out of your seat.

Shoko Suzuki - love, painful love
A concept record about the dark side of love (hence, the title). Suzuki tackles a number of styles here, including loud guitar rock, gentle folk, harpsichord-driven '60s pop, and blazing synth rock, and it all works. What makes this record even more amazing to me is that she wrote, performed, and produced everything by herself (the record's obi proclaims it the first entirely self-performed record by a major female artist in Japan).

Simon & Garfunkel - Best of...
I have all of their records as well, but this compilation has appealed to me a lot lately for some reason. Maybe it's because, aside from Bookends, most album filler on S&G albums isn't as good as the singles.

Ethan
07-27-2008, 07:15 AM
I bought and listened to the new Melvins. It's... ehhhhhh. I'm going to see them in about a week, though, which is awesome.

Mr_Nuts
07-27-2008, 08:45 AM
I've been on a big Rush kick for months now. I can't get enough.

I'm also a big fan of the Anonymous album by Tomahawk. It's all native-american themed music. Mike Patton fans should listen to this.

I've started listening to Thin Lizzy recently as well. Whiskey in the Jar is quality.

blitzchamp
07-27-2008, 09:18 AM
I've been listening to the Final Fantasy V OSV by Nobuo Uematsu, "Fates in Haze" has become one of my favorite songs. The soundtrack is excellent just like every other album, and I'm still feeling out which songs I will want to listen to more consistently.

KCar
07-27-2008, 09:35 AM
I've been on a big Rush kick for months now. I can't get enough.

I'm sorry - I think you were looking for the "Guilty Pleasures" thread. It's okay - we all make mistakes.

mr_bungle700
07-27-2008, 09:42 AM
First you slight the obviously beautiful and desirable women who play Diablo II, and then you tarnish the name of Rush?

I believe this calls for a round of fisticuffs, sir!

Matchstick
07-27-2008, 09:57 AM
First you slight the obviously beautiful and desirable women who play Diablo II, and then you tarnish the name of Rush?

I'll proudly act as your second, sir.

Stephen
07-27-2008, 10:07 AM
Aw, I thought this was going to be a mix-exchange revival. Oh well.

We should definitely bring that back.

KCar
07-27-2008, 10:13 AM

Subdivisions? In our Talking Time?

Conform or be cast out!

Seriously though. I love to hate Rush. How could such talented musicians make such consistently bad decisions?

Dizzy
07-27-2008, 10:44 AM
I like Rush. Working Man is my only favorite song from them though. I'd rate them on the same level of AC/DC and Boston. I can only tolerate that music for so long before I must listen to Hannah Montana.

Secret Punch
07-27-2008, 10:45 AM
Destro: The new Melvins is awesome. Listen to those fucking drums!

Relatedly: Recently I've been really in the mood for albums where people just go insane on some drums. I'm particularly interested in African/Indian/Middle Eastern stuff but I'm open to any crazy awesome drum records. Suggestions?

Dizzy
07-27-2008, 10:49 AM
Is this (http://www.stickam.com/viewMedia.do?mId=173905219) to your own taste, Punch?

KCar
07-27-2008, 10:50 AM

Relatedly: Recently I've been really in the mood for albums where people just go insane on some drums. I'm particularly interested in African/Indian/Middle Eastern stuff but I'm open to any crazy awesome drum records. Suggestions?

Hella. Get anything by Hella. Zach Hill is a MONSTER. He also drums on Marnie Stern's "In Advance of the Broken Arm." Hella can be a little tough to listen to, but Marnie's got a little more traditional musicality to carry you through.

Also: Don Caballero, especially "American Don." They're seriously groov-alicious math-rock (it can happen!). Check out "Fire Back About Your Baby's New Sex" if you doubt me. This is one of the best examples of what can happen when the drummer is the band leader.

O..O~
07-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Someone explain the appeal of Joanna Newsom to me, please. I have talked to so many people who don't give me good reasons for liking her that I am convinced people they say they like her so they sound cool. "I like joanna newsom" me: "but her voice sounds like she is killing kittens" fan: "yeah it does but...I just like her". I don't get why she is so critically acclaimed. After reading so much about her being awesome throughout the years I finally listened to y's and I didn't get it. It made my ears scream for blood.

The new Sigur Ros- I don't think I like this....put me in the sounds too poppy and fast camp. Their songs on their earlier albums actually had distinct sounds, they sounded like their own band (even disregarding the crazy language). Now it sounds like this crazy language band doing covers of popular songs. Still looking foward to seeing them in september though

The Hold Steady- Stay Positive- The hold steady is one of those bands that took me 3 or 4 listens of one to really get. At first the lead singers voice just didn't work with me, the lyrics did but not the vocals. Somewhere between the 3rd and 4th listen I got it, and I love the band now. The new album is nothing too different from their earlier stuff, but it is still great catchy rock with lyrics that make you wish you were still in high school.

KCar
07-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Someone explain the appeal of Joanna Newsom to me, please. I have talked to so many people who don't give me good reasons for liking her that I am convinced people they say they like her so they sound cool. "I like joanna newsom" me: "but her voice sounds like she is killing kittens" fan: "yeah it does but...I just like her". I don't get why she is so critically acclaimed. After reading so much about her being awesome throughout the years I finally listened to y's and I didn't get it. It made my ears scream for blood.

Keep trying. Are you a lyrics man? Nobody, but nobody, strings words together musically like she does. "The meteorite is the source of the light and the meteor's just what we see. And the mereorite is a stone thrown that's devoid of the fire that propelled it to thee." Use of "thee" not withstanding, that's just fucking outstanding.

Bear in mind - I hated the milk-eyed mender when I first heard it. However, on hearing Ys, I was able to go back and enjoy it. her voice really is maturing from release to release (have you heard the Ys Street Band EP?), and it sort of makes her earlier stuff make more sense. You've still got to have some stomach for twee, but I can't get enough of her.

tl:dr - acquired taste worth acquiring.

nunix
07-27-2008, 11:45 AM
A) I don't care if you like her. Why should I convince you? It's either something that clicks with you, or not. And why the fuck do I need a "good reason"?

B) I DO like her voice. It's unique, it's not really "trained", it's heartfelt and simple.

C) I'm a harpist.

Also, please present yourself tomorrow for the promised gutting. I said I'd do it!

EDIT: Like KCar said, "Emily" is just fucking incredible. The whole thing. Favourites include the meteor set, the intro verse, and "Come on home now / all my bones are / dolorous with vines". How good are the lyrics?

The meadowlark and the chim-choo-ree and the sparrow
Set to the sky in a flying spree for the sport of the pharaoh

Horse racing is the sport of kings. Pharaohs are kings, the birds are up and racing through the sky. But that is 100x more poetry for that idea than you will hear anywhere else in modern music. It is the first two lines of the song. (Chimchooree's kinda goofy, even to me, but it's kinda fun and childlike, so I can dig it)

pence
07-27-2008, 12:04 PM

I don't have any crazy drum record suggestions, but I have, so far, made a single venture into the world of Afropop.

Orchestra Baobab (http://youtube.com/watch?v=g1qknbe0QtI).

Not crazy, but so good.

Aquadeo
07-27-2008, 12:13 PM
The Weakerthans - Reunion Tour The album's been out for ten months, and I'm still addicted to it. The music is great as always, and the lyrics are classic John K. Samson: there's a story about a bus driver that gets choked up driving past his ex-girlfriend's house every hour, a story about a young CEO that loses everything in the dot-com crash, a story about a cat that ran away from home... it's funny where it's romantic, it's romantic where it's sad, and it's heart-breaking where it should be whimsical. The crowning moment, though, is "Sun In An Empty Room", inspired by the Edward Hopper painting (http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/hopper/interior/hopper.sun-empty-room.jpg) and turned into a song about a couple that finally move out of their apartment into a house. These lyrics are just beautiful:

"Take eight minutes and divide/
by ninety million lonely miles/
and watch its shadow cross the floor/
we don't live here anymore"

It's hard enough to avoid clichés in songs, but to come up with something fresh and thoughtful when singing about the sun? I love these guys.

standing8
07-27-2008, 12:20 PM
http://www.djouls.com/groove/images/Sharon_Jones_and_the_Dap_Kings-100_Days_100_Nights_b.jpg

"Answer Me" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptpcNHC40o8) by Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings

Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings are arguably one of my favorite bands of all time. Only three albums deep and they seem to have captured a sound in soul not seen since the late 60’s/mid 70’s. The key seems to be not only their strict use of instruments and analogue recording equipment from the 70’s, but also their natural understanding of music from that era of funk/soul. I had no idea it was Sharon herself playing the piano on this. One of my favorite songs. No other band cooler than the Dap-Kings.

"Tell Me" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB69Ij5X6AE) is amazing as well.

Mr_Nuts
07-27-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm sorry - I think you were looking for the "Guilty Pleasures" thread. It's okay - we all make mistakes.

If enjoying Rush is a crime, then I'm serving a life sentence.

blitzchamp
07-27-2008, 01:17 PM
The "Guilty Pleasures" thread now has me listening to the Sonic R soundtrack.

Sanagi
07-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Subdivisions? In our Talking Time?

Conform or be cast out!

Seriously though. I love to hate Rush. How could such talented musicians make such consistently bad decisions?
There is a level of badness that only true genius can achieve. See also: Pink Floyd, Ummagumma.

Tatoom (http://www.amazon.com/Tatoom-Andy-Narell/dp/B000MGVCKO) has some of my favorite drumkit work.

Secret Punch
07-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Re: Hella, I think their drumwork is actually really annoying unless I'm in just the right mood. Sure it's insane but without emphasis or negative space it all sounds really samey and dull.

Dizzy's link was more along the lines of what I've been looking for.

KCar
07-27-2008, 05:39 PM
There is a level of badness that only true genius can achieve. See also: Pink Floyd, Ummagumma.

See - there is a kind of logic here that I almost understand.

And Punch: basically agreed. I don't really listen to Hella, but goddam I'd really like to be able to. But don't discount Don Caballero by association - do check out that song I mentioned.

Ah hell. Here's a link. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_BNOTypxGA) Bonus: Optimus Prime! Actually, the drumming here is half subdued, but tech as fuck.

taidan
07-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Listening to Endless Wire. I think it is damn good after you get over the shock that its not "classic" Who and just enjoy the music. The rock opera part is a bit too short but its still fun. I'll take Townshend's music over something from Rent any day.

ravinoff
07-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - My favorite band. Draws from extreme metal, 20th Century avant-guard classical, industrial, and performance art. Uses no synths or samplers for their variety of odd sounds and textures but instead a wide variety of instruments they have built (such as a 7 foot long table mounted bass guitar thing strung with piano strings they play with both mallets and a bow). Very polyrhythmic percussion (they have both a drummer on kit and a percussionist on a wide variety of percussion...things...they have built). As far as the more traditional instruments go the violin is typically just as prominent as the guitar. The lead singer has a tremendously rich, deep, operatic voice. Of Natural History is their best album.

Battles - KCar already recommended Don Caballero so I'll suggest the band former Don Cab guitarist Ian Williams is now in. Weird, wild wonderful math rock, a lot of fun live. Its quite common for members of the band to be playing both a guitar and a keyboard at the same time, tapping a guitar part with the left hand while playing a keyboard part with the right.

Comus - Somewhat proggy folk from the early 70's. The most wonderfully evil sounding folk band I've ever heard, they do folk with the musical and lyrical intensity of metal. Guitars, violin, flute, bass, hand drums (all acoustic but the bass). Their initial album First Utterence is the one to hear and is fantastic, not a bad song on it; the second album is kinda meh (reportedly even the band doesn't care for it).

Also I fully agree with all the love for Joanna Newsom, she played here last year with the Atlanta Symphony and it was such a great show. My favorite response to people who dislike her is <a href="http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=3434">this</a> post on Warren Ellis's blog. I like her voice.

ajr82
07-29-2008, 09:40 PM
The Weakerthans - Reunion Tour The album's been out for ten months, and I'm still addicted to it. The music is great as always, and the lyrics are classic John K. Samson: there's a story about a bus driver that gets choked up driving past his ex-girlfriend's house every hour, a story about a young CEO that loses everything in the dot-com crash, a story about a cat that ran away from home... it's funny where it's romantic, it's romantic where it's sad, and it's heart-breaking where it should be whimsical. The crowning moment, though, is "Sun In An Empty Room", inspired by the Edward Hopper painting (http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/hopper/interior/hopper.sun-empty-room.jpg) and turned into a song about a couple that finally move out of their apartment into a house. These lyrics are just beautiful:

"Take eight minutes and divide/
by ninety million lonely miles/
and watch its shadow cross the floor/
we don't live here anymore"

It's hard enough to avoid clichés in songs, but to come up with something fresh and thoughtful when singing about the sun? I love these guys.

Personally, I think Night Windows is the crowning moment on the album, though Sun is definitely a standout. I haven't listened to Reunion Tour as much as any of the past Weakerthans albums, though. For my money, Left and Leaving is still their masterpiece.

blitzchamp
07-29-2008, 11:53 PM
I'm listening to Australia (The Live iTunes Session Version) by The Shins, its pretty great and much better than the real version of the song. I got it for free through Apple's facebook promotion they had going on for awhile for the last two years where you won free music downloads for being a member.

standing8
07-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Listening to "The Beautiful Ones" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StHjki4u45w) by Prince. Can't get enough of this song.

taidan
07-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Amazon MP3 store had a $9 album with 39 Chicago tracks.

I'm set for a while.

Dizzy
07-30-2008, 10:33 PM
I was listening to that Paper Planes M.I.A song because of those stupid Pineapple Express ads.

Egarwaen
07-31-2008, 12:12 AM
Recent discoveries:

Abney Park (http://www.abneypark.com/). Particularly "Airship Pirate", but I think I'm going to buy Lost Horizons, and I just don't listen to much music, much less buy it.

Zoe Keating (http://www.zoekeating.com/). Alas, I missed her live performance at FOO Camp '08, but she's awesome. She plays the cello and basically plays a stretch of music, then uses foot pedals to loop it, start another track on top, and play into that. The final effect is awesome.

pence
07-31-2008, 05:12 AM
I was listening to that Paper Planes M.I.A song because of those stupid Pineapple Express ads.

All I wanna do is *bang bang bang bang*
and *cha-ching*
and take your money.

On that note, Rump Shaker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKKONgfNONU).

Will E
07-31-2008, 05:17 AM

I love that song. It's the only hip hop I can stand

Dizzy
07-31-2008, 07:05 AM
Outside of Immortal Technique and Cormega? BLASPHEMY!

pence
07-31-2008, 07:44 AM
I've got a hard-on for N.E.R.D. - Anti Matter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYlKxrGIQ2g). Sure, everyone (mostly N.E.R.D. themselves) makes a big deal about how genre-transgressive they are, but the rock songs usually come off a bit MOR. This, on the other hand, is pure awesome fuzzbox riffs and cut-up booming DnB drums.

What's this on your iPod? / Tell me what you listenin' to

You, obviously.

Edit: Immortal Technique - Harlem Renaissance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZx10NpcKiU)

Super Edit: http://pence.muxtape.com/
Because everyone wants listen to music I like! I'd like to see some kind of social networking something-or-other that integrates with muxtape, thereby facilitating Listening Time 2.0!

Will E
07-31-2008, 11:05 AM
Outside of Immortal Technique and Cormega? BLASPHEMY!

I've never heard them, I'll give em a listen

blitzchamp
07-31-2008, 01:03 PM
Weezer's album Pinkerton has been getting my attention lately, especially Tired of Sex.

Jeanie
07-31-2008, 01:07 PM
I'm listening to George Carlin's final album, It's Bad For Ya, and it's pretty good. A lot less angry then his last couple, but still a little bit. Oh and the opening is kinda wierd as he talks about removing people from his roladex when they die.

mopinks
07-31-2008, 11:20 PM
I've been listening to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_m5UqW3zr4) an awful lot and crying because I still have to wait a month for the actual single's release! I need to hear the b-sides god damn it all

also, Dir en grey announced a new album today, along with a preorder-only limited edition $120 five-disc version of said new album. I can't afford that, you jerks! what the hell are you even filling five discs with?

standing8
08-02-2008, 05:29 PM
I've been loving the hell out of The Virgins latest which is absolutely fantastic. The video for "Rich Girls" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13CIzmy6bM4) came out about a week ago. Good stuff.

ravinoff
08-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Followup to my earlier post:

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum music video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX67nl-esFg)

Battles music video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LLAN29W-4w)

Live footage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix6Xh252Fgk) from the first concert Comus has played in like 30 years. The song starts about 2:50 into it.

Putting aside how much I love their music I think both the SGM and Battles vids are fantastic for the visual delights alone. Also I would love to see Battle score a 2d side scrolling game.

blitzchamp
08-02-2008, 07:29 PM
I've been loving the hell out of The Virgins latest which is absolutely fantastic. Good stuff.

ScrambledGregs
08-07-2008, 04:44 PM

Hey budd-ay, fuck you, I liked Ummagumma. Yes, the studio bits as well.

Just bought 3 records today.

Guided By Voices-Propeller (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propeller_(album)): While I have neither the time nor the money to listen to everything Robert Pollard has ever recorded, it's a guarantee that everything you get from him will have at least one song that sticks in your head for days. Propeller comes before the band's "classic" mid 90s era, which saw them release the masterpieces Bee Thousand and Alien Lanes. Anyway, Propeller is really awesome, a good old fashioned rock album that sounds like a bunch of ex-school teachers drinking heavily, getting stoned, and trying to be The Who. Which it is. On a side note, 'Exit Flagger' is ridiculously catchy.

Panda Bear- Person Pitch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person_Pitch): Imagine Beach Boys-style vocal harmonies set to electronic loops, samples, and hypnotic drum beats, and you've pretty much got the recipe for Person Pitch. Most things being more than the sum of their descriptions, though, let me state forthwith that the Animal Collective released my favorite album of 2007 but this, a solo album from a band member from last year as well, is just as good for entirely different reasons.

No Age- Nouns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nouns_(album)): 2008 is slowly becoming the year when noise rock comes to roost. I didn't think nearly as much of that Times New Viking album as everyone else, but the No Age album is, in the parlance of our times, right corkin'. Noisy but never in an "unbearable walls of feedback" kind of way, Nouns is a great mid-afternoon album, all hazy guitars, dreamy instrumentals, and surprisingly decent songwriting. Not so much shoegazer as wall-gazer. Noise rock that's more "rock" than "noise", etc.

ravinoff
08-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Hey budd-ay, fuck you, I liked Ummagumma. Yes, the studio bits as well.

Panda Bear- Person Pitch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person_Pitch): Imagine Beach Boys-style vocal harmonies set to electronic loops, samples, and hypnotic drum beats, and you've pretty much got the recipe for Person Pitch. Most things being more than the sum of their descriptions, though, let me state forthwith that the Animal Collective released my favorite album of 2007 but this, a solo album from a band member from last year as well, is just as good for entirely different reasons.

I too like Ummagumma, certainly not one of my favorite Floyd albums but its good.

Panda Bear's Person Pitch is fantastic, I liked it better than Animal Collective's Strawberry Jam (which overall I didn't care for) but not as much as Sung Tongs or Feels.

DemoWeasel
08-08-2008, 01:34 AM
I'm always currently listening to Random Spirit Lover from Sunset Rubdown and We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank by Modest Mouse. Those two are probably my favorite albums of all time; Random Spirit Lover's songs are just so incredibly awesome and there's some nice piano in it as well :D. WWDBTSES just feels nautical to me with all the brass and "Spitting Venom" has some of the best, if minimal, trumpet toots in a song that I've heard.

Oh, also listening to At Mount Zoomer by Wolf Parade. "Kissing the Beehive" is like, 10 minutes long and an awesome finale to a great album.

pence
08-08-2008, 01:54 AM
No Age- Nouns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nouns_(album)): 2008 is slowly becoming the year when noise rock comes to roost.

If these albums were Ninja Turtles, No Age would be Leonardo, and Ponytail - Ice Cream Spiritual (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iITgIyB4W7w) would be Michelangelo. It's so fun that the word 'ebullient' popped into my head without the aid of a thesaurus. For some unknown reason they remind me of personal favorite Les Georges Leningrad, but prettier, with the sense to cut the parts that aren't working.

ScrambledGregs
08-08-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm always currently listening to Random Spirit Lover from Sunset Rubdown and We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank by Modest Mouse. Those two are probably my favorite albums of all time; Random Spirit Lover's songs are just so incredibly awesome and there's some nice piano in it as well :D. WWDBTSES just feels nautical to me with all the brass and "Spitting Venom" has some of the best, if minimal, trumpet toots in a song that I've heard.

Oh, also listening to At Mount Zoomer by Wolf Parade. "Kissing the Beehive" is like, 10 minutes long and an awesome finale to a great album.

Between Wolf Parade, Sunset Rubdown, and that Swan Lake album, Spencer Krug is probably my favorite songwriter of this generation. I don't think At Mount Zoomer gets nearly the love it deserves because everyone went into it expecting another pop album packed with songs like 'Shine A Light', 'Fancy Claps', and 'I'll Believe In Anything.' Instead it's more like that Sunset Rubdown album you mentioned: more complex and nuanced, with the best bits hidden inside sections of the album rather than as the chorus centerpieces of songs.

KCar
08-08-2008, 07:30 PM
I've been listening to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_m5UqW3zr4) an awful lot

On the video: who the hell made it the mid-90s again? Did they recruit the director for Metallica's "Until it Bleeds?"

And why is AFI Japanese now? WHAT'S GOING ON?

At Mount Zoomer is a shelf album. Give it time, and it's pleasures unfold. Sort of like the National.

Everyone should love the National.

ajr82
08-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Between Wolf Parade, Sunset Rubdown, and that Swan Lake album, Spencer Krug is probably my favorite songwriter of this generation. I don't think At Mount Zoomer gets nearly the love it deserves because everyone went into it expecting another pop album packed with songs like 'Shine A Light', 'Fancy Claps', and 'I'll Believe In Anything.' Instead it's more like that Sunset Rubdown album you mentioned: more complex and nuanced, with the best bits hidden inside sections of the album rather than as the chorus centerpieces of songs.

I really liked Shut Up I Am Dreaming, and both Wolf Parade albums, but I just couldn't get into Random Spirit Lover. I think it may just have been too cacaphonous and sprawling for me. Anyway, I think Krug's at his best when he has someone more straightforward like Boeckner to play off of, I think the tension between their approaches is really what powers the best Wolf Parade stuff.

I still don't think that any of the various albums produced by the Wolf Parade extended family have any song to top 'Sons And Daughters of Hungry Ghosts', though 'Shut Up I Am Dreaming of Places Where Lovers Have Wings' is pretty damn close.

mopinks
08-08-2008, 08:43 PM
On the video: who the hell made it the mid-90s again? Did they recruit the director for Metallica's "Until it Bleeds?"

time travel

they just got back from the mid-80s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0oFvWPVlPU)

blitzchamp
08-08-2008, 09:19 PM
I've been listening to a lot of Jan Wayne songs such as Only You (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D077euYu-0). I like it when they go ba da da da.

I found his songs when I was looking up Mad World by Gary Jules.

DemoWeasel
08-08-2008, 10:16 PM
stuff

I liked Shut Up I Am Dreaming a whole lot, and Apologies to the Queen Mary as well. Plague Park is a good listen, but not one of my favorite albums. One big problem I had with At Mount Zoomer though is that 'Kissing the Beehive' is the only song where I feel Boeckner and Krug worked together in perfect harmony. Maybe that's why it's my favorite song off the album.

oh, and 'The Mending of the Gown' and 'The Taming of the Hands that Came Back to Life' from Random Spirit Lover are aweeeeeeeeeeesome.

ScrambledGregs
08-09-2008, 03:15 PM
I really liked Shut Up I Am Dreaming, and both Wolf Parade albums, but I just couldn't get into Random Spirit Lover. I think it may just have been too cacaphonous and sprawling for me. Anyway, I think Krug's at his best when he has someone more straightforward like Boeckner to play off of, I think the tension between their approaches is really what powers the best Wolf Parade stuff.

I still don't think that any of the various albums produced by the Wolf Parade extended family have any song to top 'Sons And Daughters of Hungry Ghosts', though 'Shut Up I Am Dreaming of Places Where Lovers Have Wings' is pretty damn close.

I see where you're coming from. The Swan Lake album is a great example of this; he's got a more pop/classicist singer/songwriter like Dan Bejar to play off of, and it results in one of his best songs in 'Are You Swimming In Her Pools?' That said, I also wish he would make more of his appearances on Frog Eyes albums. I mean, I love Frog Eyes, and that band is Carey Mercer's show, but if all you're going to do with Krug is have him play keyboards and maybe some back-up singing, it's kind of a waste.

@Shinji: I'm hoping in the future that Krug and Boeckner do more stuff like 'Kissing The Beehive.' Not in an epic song kind of way, but in a "trading off on verses, writing a song together, and/or dueting" fashion. Their voices and styles are distinctive and yet sympathetic enough to work really well together.

Phat
08-09-2008, 03:24 PM
The last album I listened to was Anthony Green's solo-ish deal, which I was told was an acoustic album. It is mostly acoustic, but he is backed by a full band on the far-and-away best song on the album.

The actual acoustic songs are okay.

ravinoff
08-09-2008, 10:32 PM
The past two or three days I have been obsessively listening to Love's Forever Changes (as I tend to every month or two). Love is a slightly folky '60s psychdelic rock band and Forever Changes is their masterpiece. The only psych rock that I feel surpasses this album is the Beatles, but really comparing to the Beatles is almost cheating. One interesting thing to note is while the album has an upbeat feel overall if you actually listen to the lyrics they are paranoid and actually quite doomy.

Love live (fairly recently (not sure how recently) performing material from Forever changes):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKIdYrHyC0w (part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGQMfNTW9zM& (part 2)

wumpwoast
08-09-2008, 11:22 PM
I just grabbed Estradasphere - Palace of Mirrors and Supergrass - In It For The Money. And this might just be the luckiest record-buying trip I make all year -- two albums that I can't find hardly anything to bitch about.

ravinoff
08-10-2008, 05:35 AM
I just grabbed Estradasphere - Palace of Mirrors and Supergrass - In It For The Money. And this might just be the luckiest record-buying trip I make all year -- two albums that I can't find hardly anything to bitch about.
Palace of Mirrors is wonderful, I mean, I love all of Estradasphere's stuff, but that album is a standout even for them. They also have a really good live DVD of Palace of Mirrors material (sample (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv0-95ltk3M) of said on youtube).

Ganietzsche
08-10-2008, 06:33 AM
Love - Forever Changes

I'd rank this among essential 60s albums and essential albums period. Something about the arrangements is so unique. It's catchy, it's melancholy. You're forced to return to it.

ajr82
08-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Guys, the new American Music Club album is great. I'd highly recommend it, particularly to anyone who loved The National's Boxer. It's more laid-back and less intense than that one, but it also swings a bit more.

TheSL
08-11-2008, 09:13 AM
So I got to hear one of Metallica's new songs at Ozzfest ("Cyanide") and while its definitely leagues better than St. Anger its still far from being Master of Puppets. Its interesting to see how much different bass feels with a song Rob actually had any input on.

KCar
08-11-2008, 09:15 AM
I mean, I love Frog Eyes, and that band is Carey Mercer's show, but if all you're going to do with Krug is have him play keyboards and maybe some back-up singing, it's kind of a waste.

True story: Carey Mercer worked the till at a Salvation Army down the road from where I lived in Victoria. One time I left my mp3 player at a friend's while travelling, so I had to buy some tapes for my car; he was working that day, and I was a little worried he was silently judging me.

The tapes were the first Crash Test Dummies album and the Reality Bites sdtk. Judge away.

I think the sad thing here is what it says about the feasibility of living off of a semi-successful indie band.

Ample Vigour
08-11-2008, 09:19 AM
True story: Carey Mercer worked the till at a Salvation Army down the road from where I lived in Victoria. One time I left my mp3 player at a friend's while travelling, so I had to buy some tapes for my car; he was working that day, and I was a little worried he was silently judging me.

The tapes were the first Crash Test Dummies album and the Reality Bites sdtk. Judge away.

I cannot judge such concentrated early 90s; I am battered back by waves of pure Doc Marten.

I think the sad thing here is what it says about the feasibility of living off of a semi-successful indie band.

Poor indie rockers. =(

KCar
08-11-2008, 09:26 AM
I cannot judge such concentrated early 90s; I am battered back by waves of pure Doc Marten.

You say... I only hear what I want to...

And you say... I talk so all the time... so...

The question is: do I love Lisa Loeb despite her craziness, or do I love her because she's crazy? Perhaps WoW Spambot will show me the way.

Jeanie
08-11-2008, 09:27 AM
So I got to hear one of Metallica's new songs at Ozzfest ("Cyanide") and while its definitely leagues better than St. Anger its still far from being Master of Puppets. Its interesting to see how much different bass feels with a song Rob actually had any input on.

Well that's good then but I'll wait until I hear it first. St. Anger had some ok songs (let me finish first before you get mad), just none that were on the St. Anger disc. It sounded like it was recorded by two monkeys with a trash can.

standing8
08-11-2008, 01:05 PM
I was driving in my car and had it tuned to the local oldies(of the Soul and R&B variety) station and heard this song and completely flipped out. I had to find out who sang it. I wished really, really hard that the DJ's would say who it was when the song ended but to no avail. I had to resort to memorizing a few lines of the chorus and try my luck online. Through a little googlekata(or google-fu?) and not much time at all, I found out the song was “Magic” by Robin Thicke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKgQhudADr0). Man who would’ve thought that Alan Thickes son would be an R&B singer who could’ve doubled for a younger Pierce Brosnan?

I like Robin Thicke over Pharrell but I think type of beat fits him much better. As far as soul singing white boys go, Robin Thicke is definitely making his way up that ladder. I don’t think he’s quite at Jon B’s level yet but he easily surpasses Justin Timberlake in my eyes. Oh and I haven’t done any sort of research on it but I’m gonna take a guess that this song samples Curtis Mayfield. The horns sound very Mayfield-esque. Can anyone confirm?

Matchstick
08-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Guys, the new American Music Club album is great. I'd highly recommend it, particularly to anyone who loved The National's Boxer. It's more laid-back and less intense than that one, but it also swings a bit more.

Are you talking about The Golden Age or is there a newer one than that?

DemoWeasel
08-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Sharpen Your Teeth - Ugly Casanova - I love this album because the sounds are so odd, and it actually sounds different from the usual Modest Mouse stuff. "Things I Don't Remember" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgAEnNjRhGw) is my favorite song on the album.

Neon Bible - The Arcade Fire - I heard that a lot of other fans argue about which Arcade Fire album is better, Funeral or Neon Bible, but I can safely say that both albums are equally excellent for their own reasons. Neon Bible's overall "darkness" is what made me love it; "My Body Is a Cage" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyp34v6Lmcc) and "Ocean of Noise" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qf2lnp9sco) are my favorites here, with "Black Mirror" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Kre4K6sKo) coming up close behind those two.

ajr82
08-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Are you talking about The Golden Age or is there a newer one than that?

Yeah, I was talking about The Golden Age. It's new to me, but looking into it more I guess it came out back in February.

ScrambledGregs
08-17-2008, 02:17 PM
*Greg casts Regen on the thread*

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/01/Fleet_foxes.jpg
Fleet Foxes- s/t
What if the dude from My Morning Jacket led a band that had the vocal harmonies of bands like CSNY, the Beach Boys, and Animal Collective?? The answer is Fleet Foxes. Not every song is a vocal harmony orgy, so suffice it to say that I was determined to hate this album because of the ridiculous praise its gotten, but it's really damn good. This band has a real gift for intricate arrangements and soaring, memorable hooks.
'White Winter Hymnal'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrQRS40OKNE)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e0/Bon_iver_album_cover.jpg
Bon Iver- For Emma, Forever Ago
Imagine you retreated to the northern expanses of Wisconsin for a few months, your heart full of doubt, loss, heartbreak, pain, and longing. During that time, you record an album alone. Instead of it being incredibly bleak, there's a winter's beauty about it, with equal parts snow landscape chill and fireside drinkin' and wound nursin'. The result of all of this would sound a lot like For Emma, Forever Ago.
'Blindsided' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy3lJIxyZ60) (note: you might have to turn this up, since it's mixed pretty quietly)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3d/Shearwater_rook.jpg
Shearwater- Rook
While I like this album a lot, I knew it sounded really similar to another band, but I couldn't remember who. No, it's not Okkervil River, who the main dude of this band used to belong to. It took a Tiny Mix Tapes review to point out how similar this album sounds to Talk Talk, specifically their Laughing Stock and Spirit of Eden albums. It really is startling how close they sound; even the dude's voice is really similar. Regardless, I'm not sure how to feel about this, other than I like Laughing Stock a lot, and if you're going to borrow from any album, there are many, many worse choices.
'Rooks' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6WX69BlESY) (note: couldn't find any YouTube videos from the new album, so this's a live bit with semi-decent sound)

mr_bungle700
08-17-2008, 03:32 PM
Next week's playlist includes Omodaka album Cantata No. 147, which is named for the Bach piece and features a pretty fun arrangement of it. You can check that out here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB3KVSBz4Ls). This song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SoZzlgQzHM) is a lot more in line with what the rest of the album sounds like though.

Recommended for, uh...people who like the melding of house music, 8-bit instrumentation and traditional Japanese vocals, I guess. I get a Daft Punk vibe from some of these songs, so Daft Punk fans might like it too.

KCar
08-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Gregs - I think I love you. Let's have musical babies.

ScrambledGregs
08-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Gregs - I think I love you. Let's have musical babies.

Only if I get to be the woman in the relationship.

Wait, no...!!

Ganietzsche
08-18-2008, 04:19 AM
Wow, thanks for the link to the Fleet Foxes video. Just whoa. I really wish I would bother searching YouTube for videos of the bands I like...

Matchstick
08-18-2008, 10:22 AM
The Bon Iver video reminds me of Mark Kozelek's work. Is the rest of the album in a similar vein?

KCar
08-18-2008, 10:55 AM
The Bon Iver video reminds me of Mark Kozelek's work. Is the rest of the album in a similar vein?

The Bon Iver album is one of the most seamless and atmospheric listening experiences I've had in a long time. I'd be hard pressed to think of an album from last year that I liked more, honestly. If you like sad, country tinged navel gazing (and who doesn't!), you owe it to yourself to own the album.

My only regret is not owning it on vinyl. I think it's an album that would benefit from that scritch-scratchy format.

MCBanjoMike
08-18-2008, 10:59 AM
You say... I only hear what I want to...

And you say... I talk so all the time... so...

The question is: do I love Lisa Loeb despite her craziness, or do I love her because she's crazy? Perhaps WoW Spambot will show me the way.

Alls I know is that Lisa Loeb is hella short. I once walked past the Much Music (Musique Plus) station in Montreal while she was playing a studio show. There's a big plate glass window right behind the artist that looks out on the street, so I came within about 10 feet of her, and she's one of the smallest human beings I've ever seen.

Pooch
08-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Alls I know is that Lisa Loeb is hella short. I once walked past the Much Music (Musique Plus) station in Montreal while she was playing a studio show. There's a big plate glass window right behind the artist that looks out on the street, so I came within about 10 feet of her, and she's one of the smallest human beings I've ever seen.

That's what it was like for me when I met Shonen Knife after a concert last year. I'm pretty tall, so obviously they were going to be shorter than me, but you don't realize just how short until you're standing a foot away from them. The drummer (Etsuko), in particular, is under five feet tall, which just made me feel like some kind of monstrous giant while I was talking to her and getting her autograph.

On topic: I just picked up two Thee Michelle Gun Elephant albums for like $5, and my speakers are rocking out in glee.

ScrambledGregs
08-18-2008, 02:57 PM
The Bon Iver album is one of the most seamless and atmospheric listening experiences I've had in a long time. I'd be hard pressed to think of an album from last year that I liked more, honestly. If you like sad, country tinged navel gazing (and who doesn't!), you owe it to yourself to own the album.

My only regret is not owning it on vinyl. I think it's an album that would benefit from that scritch-scratchy format.

I agree completely. Certain types of albums just "feel" more "correct" when listened to on vinyl, and this's definitely one. Maybe I'm imagining things, but it also seems like the album gets more alive--perhaps we could say, it thaws--during the second half a.k.a. side two.

Ganietzsche
08-20-2008, 05:51 AM
Its difficult to explain it, but I see what you mean ScrambedGregs. This B side thawing seems to be particularly appparent on Dirty Three LPs (to me at least). Oh, and this is a musical recommendation thread, right? I recommend Dirty Three.

ScrambledGregs
08-20-2008, 08:44 AM
You ever heard the Dirty Three/Low contribution to the 'In The Fishtank' series?? I've got it on vinyl and it's quite good.

Zarathustra
08-21-2008, 03:38 AM
ROBBLEROBBLEROBBLE

So, i don't know if you guys are as smitten with Bradford Cox as i am, but if you haven't heard the leak of Deerhunter's Microcastle yet, you should really really check it out. Whether you liked Cryptograms or not (or even Fluorescent Grey EP) you WILL LOVE THIS. I've evangelized it in another thread, but while I hear like 3 new albums a day this one has stuck with me since i got it.

Anyway, there's been some recent drama concerning his unwitting unleashing of the unmastered companion LP that was apparently going to be a surprise bonus on the disc's actual release date of October 28th. It's called Weird Era Cont., and it is also exceptionally badass heartrending. It's unmastered-unmastered, but you can hear the magic that's going to be. Buying 2 or 3 copies, no doubt. Also in the leak was an unmastered and possibly tentative version of the potential next Atlas Sound LP, which is also wonderful as fuck.
I don't mean to be all ARRR IMMA PIRATE about this, but seriously, shit is crucial. ALL OF YOU MUST BUY MICROCASTLE ON OCT. 28th.

ARRRRRRRRRRR TOO MUCH AWSOME MUSIC EVERWHAR

Edit: Also YES FOREVER to Frog Eyes, one of the best bands on the last decade. HOLY SHIT KCAR.

Ahem Phil Elvrum/Elverum/PM ELVERUM AND SONS whatever th MICROPHONES guy he releases like 15 eps and bedroom recordings a year GOD JUST MAKE ANOTHE MICROPHOENS ALBUM but they're all really good even if they aren;'t always the beautiful songs he's best at. He's always been kind of a mercurial dude in a cabin in winter, but the packaging and notes and pictures and books he puts out are liek a great extended mood piece. Anyway there's a new album(plus 144 page book plus photos) coming out NOv. called Dawn under the Mt. Eerie that is FUCKING GREAT and probably or definitely the best thing since The Glow Pt 2. WHOOOOO There are surprises for Microphones fans./

And also, check this out. (http://www.myfoxny.com/myfox/pages/InsideFox/Detail?contentId=7230779&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=5.2.1)

edit: now i am reading back through the thread. The No Age album is another favorite this year. WITH PAAASSION IT'S YOU DAAANANANANANAAAA or whatever he says.

ScrambledGregs
08-21-2008, 09:52 AM
I guess Cox said it was his fault that stuff got leaked and that he's more mad at himself than anything. I really need to go buy the Deerhunter album/EP and his Atlas Sound album, since I've been enjoying them pirate-ly for months now.
'Strange Lights' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wpc1lhFfMA)

Seconding/thirding Frog Eyes love. 'Bushels' is like listening to a band running down the credits on Western Civilization. When it gets to the part where he's wailing "I was a singer, I sang in your hoomeeee" it gives me chill bumps.
'Idle Songs' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1yORDkfjok)

I like the Microphones, though something bothers me about bands/artists who change their name all the time. I think it's the whole "how do I file this on my shelf?!" issue.
Some song, I don't think it's the one the title claims it is (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOsVriZAhks)

I've been listening to a lot of Tortoise lately as I'm currently going through their discography on my blog. They're the sort of band I love but I don't run and get their albums the day they come out. Their last album was also the weakest in their career, but it's still good.
Here's a 30 minute set of their's at some festival. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sps7YxLeYM) This was the first time I had seen the band members, and it nicely displays how they switch instruments.

Zarathustra
08-21-2008, 05:04 PM
That Microphones track is a variation on another of theirs, can't remember the name, but it isn't I felt Your Shape.

New Walkmen is excellent.

Elverum is probably the most frustrating of my favorite artists, but i appreciate him all the more for it. He's definitely following his muse, and he's creating beautiful, idiosyncratic art, but his whimsical release schedule of DVDs, CDs and 7/10/12 inches that are sometimes coupled with cds that have different tracks on them that are then accompanied by books or foldouts... I feel like i lost the plot a bit, cause i just can't keep up with it, and torrenting the vinyl rips doesn't give anything near the complete experience. That's a big part of why it's valuable, and it's a good strategy for keeping the physical you-have-to-pay-for-it product from being a relic in "the digital age" but so much of it, in varying quality, is exhausting.

To wit-

""MOUNT EERIE pts. 6 & 7 : book/10”
132 huge pages, plus a 3 panel fold-out, of natural light in the natural world, distorted and brought to life by ambient moonlight, expired film, antique cameras, and long night exposures. The photos are the visual counterpart to pretty much the entire catalog of the Microphones and Mount Eerie, spanning almost a decade. Bound within the pristine white silver foil-stamped hardcover is the new Mount Eerie EP, featuring 4 long songs: “Known World”, “Unknown World”, “Blue Light on the Floor” and “Mount Eerie Revealed”. This vinyl only release is intended to be a sequel to “Mount Eerie” by the Microphones (K records, 2003), picking up where that ambiguous myth left off and returning to firm ground to wander into the backyard in the middle of the night.
Here are the environmental statistics: it was printed on 10,000 lbs. of FSC certified 50% recycled, 35% post-consumer “Endeavor” paper (“savings”- 20 full grown trees, 60 lbs of water-borne waste, 9000 lbs solid waste, 1000 gallons of water, 1900 lbs of greenhouse gases, 14870 (000) BTU’s of energy). Now for sale!"

BRRRRWROBBLE!

Stereolab (http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/stereolab/chemicalchords), man, i need to catch up with that shit. There's just too much of it. Seriously, look at this (http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=STEREOLAB&sql=11:fxftxql5ldde~T2) all those compilations are mostly non-album material, btw. I love them, but it's hit or miss with all those songs running on just a few key themes.

I'm excited for the new Fujiya and Miyagi album. (http://stereogum.com/archives/video/new-fujiya-miyagi-video-knickerbocker-glory_014691.html)

Anyone heard that new Oneida (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umu0jOegQEo) joint? I've been lazy about checking it out.

ALSO, this (http://community.livejournal.com/postrockxchange)is a GREAT SITE.

There's a new Max Richter album. it's also great. Blue Notebooks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rluU6BGpKw&feature=related) is my jam. In a quiet classical apocalypse way.

This is still song of the year (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiK2un_2LAM&feature=related), even though it's form last year. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW2gvO6icJA&feature=related) They've kind of been assholes about their visual appropriations (http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/50168-crystal-castles-caught-up-in-artwork-controversy) (and those "we hate videogames" comments WTF), but i fucking love Crystal Castles.

Guess what? G. Love sucks! Goddamn!

I'm worried about the new Of Montreal album; what i've heard through live stuff and streams is kinda... i don't know. I have hope!

KCar
08-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Musclewomen notwithstanding, this is a great song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngd45o-M_M4)

Also check out "Let if Fall." I like that song better, but I couldn't find a high quality video to post.

Wolfgang
08-21-2008, 09:13 PM
I couldn't tell you why, but I'm on my fourth listening of Firehouse's "Love Of A Lifetime" in a row right now. Oh, 1991 - we'll never see a year like that again.

Phat
08-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Any 65daysofstatic album I can get my hands on.

Also The Horse, the Rat and the Swan by Snowman which is good so good extra good pick it up, friends.

Mightyblue
08-21-2008, 10:51 PM
Listening to the Vesperia OST + the accompanying Bonnie Pink single (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp6ZdYziOz8&feature=related) for the game. The remix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU5_V52QTR8) of A Perfect Sky is pretty good too, though I've never heard the original. They're both really good, especially the chiptune-esque songs on the Vesperia OST's 4th disc. It was like playing PSIV & Gunstar Heroes on the Genesis all over again!

Zarathustra
08-24-2008, 02:15 AM
Holy shit guys i just threw down some stream of consciousness shit about the new Of Montreal and Bloc Party albums. They're both disappointing! BUT IN SPECIAL WAYS. Now i throw it to you, unwisely unedited. Whatever, you don't know me ! You will notice i repeat myself in different ways. That is called honing the craft. I can't promise you entertainment, but there are words in there.

Of montreal- skeletal lamping

Overindulgent in the worst ways, sacrificing songcraft and entertainment value for coked up sassiness.

like a prince/andre3k musical. Not as arcade-synth-pop as last 2. speak-sing, lots of changeups, lots of songs leading into others suddenly, fieryfurnaces-like, and similarly hit and miss. Not always focused enough, sometimes too ADD in a bad way. Keeps running out of steam and picking back up.

some good choruses, but a lot of nice mini-melodies that often frustratingly don't flesh out and fulfill themselves.

groovy, but leans into kind of thin and tinny territory, not enough real deep muscle, sometimes feels kind of noncommittal instead of admirably varied in an accomplished way. sometimes too fey and airy and like the lite casio tunes all those myspace queens go for. Better than that by a huge margin, but uncomfortably close to that feel.

good, but disappointing. Harmony overdubs are the best part, like Brian may's multitrack guitars.

Half awesome, half aggravating. Not enough YEAHHHH in italics.

Feels scattered, uncertain. Kevin Barnes sounds like he's just playing around in a makeup case being catty for the hell of it. Very little of the passion and pathos, the heart. Not fun enough or moving enough or catchy enough. Be alright in a club, but very little of it makes me feel UP. a couple alright throwbacks to satanic panic and pre.

still want to hear it a few times to make sure, but doesn't feel like it'll click too muc more.

In the ways that it succeeds and fails, it's A LOT like The LOve Below. lyrics, in this case, though, seem like they might be kind of important to a full appreciation. What i've made out is kinda silly and "Mmm-hmm, girrrrl" like mo'nique, weirdly. Maybethere's something compelling there. Lots of lines with lots of syllables that overstep the bounds of the measure and bleed into the next, like a funky fastforward willie nelson. Tries to cram too many words, sort of climbs above the music and does his own thing. cadence is herky jerky, takes me out of it.

obviously inspired by something, but still sort of uninspired.

New Bloc Party-----

1st two tr4acks, rhythmy raveups, kinda lame. nothing special or catchy.

3rd- acceptable... for a generic emo/nu hardcore band. Or a Bloc Party ripoff band.

4th- simple guitar pick, plaintive vocal, muffled callback, bluestline-esque, not as good. bass bumps in slowly after a while, ohhhhkay that wans't much of a sendup, plods a bit more. drum machine taps in. song is 3/5 over... goddamnit. OK little vocal melody comes in as counterpoint. synths swell, another vocal thing, peters out with guitar picking. lame.

5th- Hey hey neat maybe. Hmm. staticky melody line. vocals, drums come in, steady beat, very very boring basic bloc party template. Alriiiiight, bridge time. It's alright, not bad chords change. no chorus. guitar noodles back to verse with extra oomph. bridge that is a chorus comes back. insistent, but flat. doesn;'t spike interestingly, but some good guitar solouing. HOLY SHIT MEGAMAN for a second. that was cool. then it kinda ends. ehhh.

6th- jesus christ, it's like, so competent but uninspired. I am not feeling anything. blah blah ballady fast beat. Damn, bloc party, you are the coldplay version of bloc party now. wtf happen?

7th- HMMMM. Ok< beat like a silent alarm remix, some fat guitar, crunhcing around, yeahhhh this is ok... and then it flattens out again. GODDAMNIT WRITE AN EXTENDED CHORUS THAT THRILLS ME JESUS FUCK. there's one. Ok, this is ok. Not great, but... yeah, this is solid. Album could still be 2/5ths really good. Potentially. 3 more tracks.

8th- midtempo standard electronic beat, kele vocal ohh-ohh background calls, kele plaintive up front. cool 80s synth comes in, some ahhhhhhs like church in movies. deep bass thumps, exorcist-fast church calls. kele is singing about something. never goes anywhere. 1 minute left, no time to save it. more fucking fuzzy background talking. I'm not buying what he's selling.

9th- All these tracks start with the same kind of groove. thum-BA-thum-ba-PA tkatkatkatka, repeat. This is a fucking formula, holy shit. the vocals, synths keep doing the same fucking thing. here;s more speaksing about some bullshit. This album was written while asleep. I guess it's kind of pleasant if it's what you're looking for. Oh hell, 3/4 through, there's big drum bam and the guitar woke the fuck up. HEY MAN TIME TO ROCK. YEAH A LITTLE BIT OF WHEEDILY WHEE THOSE NOTES< YEAH PASSIONATE... 1 mintue later, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ/

10- Last track. 6.5 mintues long. Little faster, same formula, piano dingdingdigndingcont. drum comes in sounds happy, still mechanical. Sort-of chorus, louder, but same stuff, some extra of everything. Beat adds some fast hihat. Do they have a drummer anymore? He said something about something when he's fucking you. ok, we're still slowly building, 2.5 minutes left. This is alright, i guess. Feels liek a good last track. HEY SOME EXTRA MELODY LIKE A CHORUS. A little. Yes, this would be a fine last track, if it didn't need to compensate so bad for what came before. Thumbs up, cool guitar, bass interpolay, OOOH_AHHHHH yeah kele that is pretty alright. AH_AHHHHHHHHH CRASH CYMBAL, stuttering sample, instruments leave one by one, shut the door, you forget everything you just heard.

UNINSPIRED AND FORGETTABLE. FUCK IT!

edit- OK, Skeletal Lamping has sort of grown on me a bit. Everything i said still holds, but the good parts do work pretty well, and the not-so-good parts aren't a deal-breaker unless you're listening by yourself with headphones, concentrating on it. This'd fit in great at any party. I kind of wish, though, that they'd tripled the number of tracks by cutting up the existant ones. There aren't really any dud tracks, just a constant ebbing and flowing of quality.

KCar
08-24-2008, 07:36 AM
You've summed up how I feel about the Bloc Party in general very nicely. Thank you sir.

Shame about the Of Montreal, though I think my favourite is still Satanic Panic in the Attic. Does that make me a blasphemer?

ScrambledGregs
08-24-2008, 04:18 PM
Bloc Party are a disgustingly overrated band, and always have been. I don't hate them, because it takes a lot these days to get my dander up, but I do hate the praise and press they get.

Also, I really don't get what the big deal about Crystal Castles is. They sound like every other synth-pop/chip tunes band that I ignore the shit out of, and I think the only reason half of their fans know who they are is because of Pitchfork or the controversies they've gone through. Reading their interviews and watching their videos, they strike me as opportunistic dilettantes at worst and a very average synth-pop/chiptunes sampling band at best.

Dizzy
08-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Also, I really don't get what the big deal about Crystal Castles is. They sound like every other synth-pop/chip tunes band that I ignore the shit out of, and I think the only reason half of their fans know who they are is because of Pitchfork or the controversies they've gone through. Reading their interviews and watching their videos, they strike me as opportunistic dilettantes at worst and a very average synth-pop/chiptunes sampling band at best.

I got curious and decided to listen to some of their songs now.

What... the hell?

People like listening to music that makes them feel they're trapped in an Atari game? Hahahaha. Their wiki also shows the game and no band info. This is definitely guilty pleasure material. The stuff that makes me put on my 3D goggles and dance around my room with the digital disco ball that projects pixel animations of Donkey Kong and Pac Man.

Ganietzsche
08-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Don't Crystal Castles supposedly steal their instrumentals from Chiptunes artists?

Edit: and not in a sampling sort of way. That is to say, wholesale appropriations without looping/manipulating. I've never listened to them so I don't know where this is really coming from.

Zarathustra
08-24-2008, 09:22 PM
They might be snotty kids, but who knows? They have a kind of image and music that works well in urban clubby environments; Every act in these scenes gets interviewed by some aspiring blogger, but the good-to-great ones are pummeled with attention, good and bad. Some in the chiptune community have blasted CC for distancing themselves from anything "videogames" and divorcing the sounds they use from their og context (Forgetting that this is how music works, changes and evolves). Maybe they, like a million other young musicians, aren't very good at being personable and friendly in the face of such scrutiny. It seems very unlikely that their art-asset appropriation is innocent, but the issue of sample-stealing seems a lot less clear (like, two minor samples on two unfinished songs on myspace), and the fact that their fame and visibility have rocketed so high in such a short amount of time gives me pause to consider how much of this would be far less of a problem is they weren't all of a sudden so high-profile. How many punk bands of all kinds use shared riffs, imagery, flyer photos, sentiments, etc? You don't hear a lot of bitching there because it's kind of why people love the genre, the shows, the sense of familial belonging to a shared element. Crystal Castles have taken chiptune sounds coupled with bits of noise rock, goth pop, a little dub, a lot of dark electronica and made a couple dozen excellent fucking original songs and more than a few fantastic remixes (If you don't love this track (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbcd3ClWuM), there's no hope for you. Listen to that fucking loping bass!). If you don't like that stuff, you won't like this, and seriously, less than half of the album tracks rely heavily on identifiably "videogamey" sounds. I guess i understand if their image turns you off, but there's no denying their talent and mastery of this particular form. I love chiptunes, but it's a niche delight informed by nostalgia and very personal proclivities. CC are universal and accomplished as music-makers, not just fetishistic techheads.

Damn it, i guess this makes me a fanboy.

Zarathustra
08-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Shame about the Of Montreal, though I think my favourite is still Satanic Panic in the Attic. Does that make me a blasphemer?

It's my second-favorite. Hissing Fauna is a better album, but they're going for different things. SP is druggy and fantastical, HF is darker and more unified musically and thematically. SP is like the best culmination of all their albums up til then, and HF is just a perfect step into something else. Sunlandic Twins was pretty great but a little flat, and Skeletal Lamping just doesn't succeed at what it's attempting. It reaches, though. IT REACHES.

Ganietzsche
08-24-2008, 11:30 PM
You ever heard the Dirty Three/Low contribution to the 'In The Fishtank' series?? I've got it on vinyl and it's quite good.

I don't own anything with Low's name on it, unfortunately. They're on the 'to check out list'. A collaboration with the Dirty Three? Well that bumps them up the list considerably.

ajr82
08-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Bloc Party are a disgustingly overrated band, and always have been. I don't hate them, because it takes a lot these days to get my dander up, but I do hate the praise and press they get.

I loved Silent Alarm a lot, I thought (and still do) that it was the best album of 2005, and I got excited and fanboyish about them more than any band since Radiohead. A Weekend In The City was just such an incredible crushing disappointment. I'll give the new one a try, but I'm not expecting much.

ScrambledGregs
08-25-2008, 02:52 PM
They might be snotty kids, but who knows? They have a kind of image and music that works well in urban clubby environments; Every act in these scenes gets interviewed by some aspiring blogger, but the good-to-great ones are pummeled with attention, good and bad. Some in the chiptune community have blasted CC for distancing themselves from anything "videogames" and divorcing the sounds they use from their og context (Forgetting that this is how music works, changes and evolves). Maybe they, like a million other young musicians, aren't very good at being personable and friendly in the face of such scrutiny. It seems very unlikely that their art-asset appropriation is innocent, but the issue of sample-stealing seems a lot less clear (like, two minor samples on two unfinished songs on myspace), and the fact that their fame and visibility have rocketed so high in such a short amount of time gives me pause to consider how much of this would be far less of a problem is they weren't all of a sudden so high-profile. How many punk bands of all kinds use shared riffs, imagery, flyer photos, sentiments, etc? You don't hear a lot of bitching there because it's kind of why people love the genre, the shows, the sense of familial belonging to a shared element. Crystal Castles have taken chiptune sounds coupled with bits of noise rock, goth pop, a little dub, a lot of dark electronica and made a couple dozen excellent fucking original songs and more than a few fantastic remixes (If you don't love this track (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbcd3ClWuM), there's no hope for you. Listen to that fucking loping bass!). If you don't like that stuff, you won't like this, and seriously, less than half of the album tracks rely heavily on identifiably "videogamey" sounds. I guess i understand if their image turns you off, but there's no denying their talent and mastery of this particular form. I love chiptunes, but it's a niche delight informed by nostalgia and very personal proclivities. CC are universal and accomplished as music-makers, not just fetishistic techheads.

Damn it, i guess this makes me a fanboy.

Yeah, you're sounding like Shane all of a sudden. If I really liked chiptunes I might think they were god's gift to listeners, but eh...I've never been super into bands who are involved in a single, ultra-specific sub-genre.

Zarathustra
08-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Yeah, you're sounding like Shane all of a sudden. If I really liked chiptunes I might think they were god's gift to listeners, but eh...I've never been super into bands who are involved in a single, ultra-specific sub-genre.

That's the thing, though, it's really not that specific. They're associated with chiptunes because that sound stood out as a relatively unique influence at their live shows and on the first few released tracks. The music is partly informed by the genre (if not the personal nostalgia for its sources) but it's just one of many influences they weave (pretty deftly!) together to make SOME OF THE BEST ELECTRONIC POP THIS YEAR.

Ok, i'll stop. Hey, what's this?

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/39/img9200bcy6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

He's mocking you, Greg.

ScrambledGregs
09-14-2008, 04:32 PM
CONTINUE??

INSERT COIN

Wolf Parade- At Mount Zoomer: I may be alone in this opinion, but thus far this album is on my shortlist for 'album of the year.' Granted, there are a lot of great albums I still need to hear from this year, and a few still on the way (Of Montreal!! Deerhoof!! Deerhunter!!), but...this one is damn good. Canadian indie rock at its finest. See: Language City (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziPJxj72QTs)

Olivia Tremor Control- Music From The Unrealized Film Script: Dusk At Cubist Castle: I just kind of assume everyone's heard of this album, so powerful is its cult, that it rarely occurs to me to talk about it. I recently reviewed it on my blog (plug plug (http://whiskeypie.blogspot.com/2008/09/album-of-week-olivia-tremor-control.html)) and it's better than I remembered. Try some 'Opera House' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTz5OpBwZ3U) on for size. NOTE: they are definitely a headphones kind of band. Also, as I said in my review, I like their second (and final) album better, which is weirder and darker, and therefore cooler.

The Jesus and Mary Chain- Psychocandy: I know that you think you know this album even if you've never heard it, but no, you don't. 'Just Like Honey' is a really fucking good song, yeah, but save for one song the rest of the album is both deader and noisier than the Velvet Underground at their druggy best. I've struggled with Psychocandy for awhile, but recently came around to it once I realized it wasn't noise-pop like everybody has been saying for years. Check out 'Never Understand' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtyGXwWs89c) to see what I was going on about (http://whiskeypie.blogspot.com/2008/09/jesus-mary-chain-psychocandy.html).

Herbie Hancock- Head Hunters: Whaddya mean you've never heard Head Hunters?! You haven't lived until you've shaken something to 'Chameleon' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EesxRIm1lPQ), the perfect fusion of jazz and funk. (The video for this sucks but it's the actual version from the album, so...)

Evil Dead Junkie
09-14-2008, 04:41 PM
I bought more albums last week then I bought in the last six months.

Arcade Fire - Funeral: I always feel slightly poserish when I talk about Arcade Fire. Hey if it's good enough for Bowie and Springsteen it's good enough for me OK? I don't need to sport a neckerchief to like it. Even though Neon Bible had more great tracks I think Funeral's the better Album. I like how the whole thing is basically the sound of a reasonably bright sensitive kid losing his mind. I'd compare it to The Wall if that wouldn't make half the board hate it automatically.

Drive By Truckers - Decoration Day: Songs about Murder, Incest, Foreclosure, Adultry, Suicide, Drug Addiction, and countless other happy topics backed by some of the best pure song craft I've heard in a long time. Lord do I love DBT.

Tom Waits - Closing Time: Waits first album, and his most tender.

Steve Earle - I Feel Alright/ Jerusalem: If you don't listen to Steve Earle, you really should. The gulf between what Country is and what it should be is never more apparent then on his records.

Metallica - Death Magnetic: Fuck Yeah.

Ganietzsche
09-14-2008, 08:25 PM
The Jesus and Mary Chain- Psychocandy: I know that you think you know this album even if you've never heard it, but no, you don't. 'Just Like Honey' is a really fucking good song, yeah, but save for one song the rest of the album is both deader and noisier than the Velvet Underground at their druggy best. I've struggled with Psychocandy for awhile, but recently came around to it once I realized it wasn't noise-pop like everybody has been saying for years. Check out 'Never Understand' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtyGXwWs89c) to see what I was going on about (http://whiskeypie.blogspot.com/2008/09/jesus-mary-chain-psychocandy.html).

I was given this album and Darklands on vinyl by my cool neighbour, and was thus introduced to the band. Perhaps only them and Captain Beefheart are the two artists whose albums I actually fault on being too long (or at least too long with too little stylistic changes). In bite size chunks though, they're both great! And yeah, JAMC were nothing like what all press/radio/friends gave me the impression of all these years.

Herbie Hancock- Head Hunters: Whaddya mean you've never heard Head Hunters?! You haven't lived until you've shaken something to 'Chameleon' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EesxRIm1lPQ), the perfect fusion of jazz and funk. (The video for this sucks but it's the actual version from the album, so...)

Kudos on mentioning this classic jazz-funk album in this thread. It certainly has its place, but personally I prefer Herbie's Mwandishi (http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/herbie_hancock/mwandishi/).

Phat
09-14-2008, 08:30 PM
MADE OUT OF BABIES -> THE RUINER

noise-rock/post-hardcore holy shit rock and roll

Sarcasmorator
09-14-2008, 08:51 PM
The Walkmen, "Everyone Who Pretended to Like Me is Gone" and "Bows & Arrows."

Or at least, I would be listening to "Bows & Arrows" except it's stuck in my crapass car CD changer that's broken and sucks.

Be that as it may, two great albums from my favorite band lately. Now to buy the rest!

mopinks
09-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Kinniku Shojoutai - EVERYTHING THEY HAVE EVER RELEASED

Kenji Ootsuki is probably (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfQOeaOcA5U) the greatest guy in the world.

ScrambledGregs
09-15-2008, 04:09 PM
I bought more albums last week then I bought in the last six months.

Arcade Fire - Funeral: I always feel slightly poserish when I talk about Arcade Fire. Hey if it's good enough for Bowie and Springsteen it's good enough for me OK? I don't need to sport a neckerchief to like it. Even though Neon Bible had more great tracks I think Funeral's the better Album. I like how the whole thing is basically the sound of a reasonably bright sensitive kid losing his mind. I'd compare it to The Wall if that wouldn't make half the board hate it automatically.

I never thought of that interpretation, but I see what you mean. The David Bowie and Springsteen comparisons are blown way out of proportion, though. I could swear that at some point every other indie rock hipster band I listen to has been compared to Bowie.

Phat
09-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Number Girl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDoNX0lRL1g)

NUM-HEAVYMETALLIC

Japanese indie rock with math and punk influences

How have I gone this long liking the Zazen Boys but have never listened to a Number Girl album?

pence
09-15-2008, 06:41 PM
I never thought of that interpretation, but I see what you mean. The David Bowie and Springsteen comparisons are blown way out of proportion, though. I could swear that at some point every other indie rock hipster band I listen to has been compared to Bowie.

I think he was referring to the fact that they have supported (and been supported by) Bowie and Springsteen on separate occasions.

Bergasa
09-15-2008, 07:27 PM
The album "Oh, My Darling" by Basia Bulat. She is based out of my city, so she gets a lot of airplay on the indie station. Really good stuff, sort of a Feist vibe-- just fun, melodic tracks.

ajr82
09-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Man, how come nobody told me about Los Campesinos! before now? This is some great shit!

I'm also really enjoying the latest Elbow and Cut Copy albums.

pence
09-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Man, how come nobody told me about Los Campesinos! before now? This is some great shit!

I'm also really enjoying the latest Elbow and Cut Copy albums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHt2CveSXqE&fmt=18

Secret best Los Campesinos! song. Well, the one that introduced me to the band, at least.

ajr82
09-15-2008, 09:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHt2CveSXqE&fmt=18

Secret best Los Campesinos! song. Well, the one that introduced me to the band, at least.

It's really good, but I still think a few of the songs on the album beat it (particularly "Broken Heartbeats Sound Like Breakbeats" and "My Year In Lists")

JohnB
09-15-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm currently listening to the dulcet tones of Merrill Reese (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrill_Reese). The man is a fucking legend.

BEAT
09-15-2008, 10:16 PM
The ending theme to Terranigma just came up in shuffle.

And now I'm sad.

ajr82
09-18-2008, 11:56 AM
The new Bloc Party album is godawful. I've listened to it once, and that's all it's getting. The only album I've ever heard that was more horribly compressed was the last Flaming Lips album. Both gave me absolutely splitting headaches to listen to, and any dynamism they hoped to get with the electronic stuff just gets murdered by the compression and clipping. Otherwise, where the disc isn't filled out with oodles of awful Jock Jams guitar crunch it's just content to be flat and insipid.

Two things I want to know about Bloc Party:

1. Who convinced the singer that he was the center of the band and should be pushed up in the mix? Even on Silent Alarm, which I still love, he was the worst part of the band.

2. At what point did the band look at their first, awesome album alongside its terrible remix album and decide that, yeah, we ought to do the next albums more like the remix one?

pence
09-18-2008, 12:33 PM
The best part about Silent Alarm Remixed was the EP they tacked on the end with Always New Depths. I'd rock that song all day. Weekend in the City was pretty joyless, though.

Zarathustra
09-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Hey, now, Silent Alarm Remixed was fucking excellent.

ScrambledGregs
09-19-2008, 05:38 PM
I finally managed to get a copy of the Fiery Furnaces's live album, Remember, which is suitably fucking crazy as all get out. Imagine a live album that captures the band's ability to make medleys of their songs, sometimes from different albums, and usually in different forms than the album versions but also uses entirely different performances of songs to make them up. I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not because the fidelity seems to vary wildly.

ravinoff
10-10-2008, 10:19 PM
The past two days I've been listening to Department of Eagles In Ear Park a lot. It's baroque indie pop. Their strongest influence seems to be Van Dyke Parks, but some moments bring to mind late period Beatles or even Animal Collective.

Dizzy
10-12-2008, 04:44 PM
There's this music that plays during this scene:

At a luncheon later that day, however, Miranda announces that it is Jacqueline instead of Nigel who will leave Runway for Holt. Later, when the two are being driven to a show, she explains to a still-stunned Andrea that she was grateful for the warning but already knew of the plot to replace her and sacrificed Nigel to keep her own job.

In The Devil Wears Prada. Does anyone know the name of the song?

blitzchamp
11-13-2008, 11:45 AM
This is a thread that should have never died.

I'm listening to the Bubbleman Stage from Mega Man 2.

Matchstick
11-13-2008, 12:20 PM
I'm currently listening to The Sufferer and the Witness from Rise Against.

Knight
11-13-2008, 12:48 PM
I'm listening to Royksopp's Melody A.M..

Poooooor Leno,
Where you'll be, I'll goooooooooooo
Where you'll be, I'll knoooooooooow
Where you'll be, I'll find yooooooou

pence
11-13-2008, 01:08 PM
I just listened to Ponytail (from Japan, means they almost fall within the purview of this board!), and now I'm listening to The B-52's self-titled album because it's unflaggingly excellent.

blitzchamp
11-13-2008, 01:10 PM
I'm listening to Akujiki No Densetsu off of the Nightshade or Kuniochi soundtrack.

Sanagi
11-14-2008, 02:33 AM
I found, with surprising ease, a decent MP3 of a performance of Eric Whitacre's incredibly moving setting of Stopping By A Woods On A Snowy Evening for chorus. The estate of Robert Frost stupidly denied permission, so it ultimately turned into a different song called Sleep. I enjoy both versions immensely.

blitzchamp
11-14-2008, 09:10 AM
I've been listening to "Hard to Live in the City" by Albert Hammond, Jr.

ajr82
11-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Their last two albums may have been entirely medicore, but Built to Spill's There's Nothing Wrong With Love is still a phenomenal indie rock album.

Sheana
11-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Mozart's Dies Irae just shuffled on, and I'm convinced they're singing "Phil Rizzuto, Phil Rizzuto" in that one part.

demonkoala
11-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Why did this thread die?
Why is it only 5 pages long?

I'm currently listening to American Wedding by Gogol Bordello

Matchstick
11-14-2008, 10:51 AM
I'm currently listening to American Wedding by Gogol Bordello

I saw them on an episode of The Henry Rollins Show. They were interesting, but didn't quite click for me.

Now playing: angL by Ihsahn - still trying to figure out what I think of this one. I dig the song with Mikkael Akerfeldt, but that's probably because it sounds a lot like Opeth. When Ihsahn is not doing the full-on Black Metal thing, I enjoy it more.

KCar
11-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Lately, I can't get enough of The Avett Brothers. Their particular brand of lovingly earnest alt country never fails to make me feel a little hurt but basically okay with the universe.

ravinoff
11-14-2008, 11:20 AM
I am currently listening to the Henry Cowell's Piano Music, an album from 1963 where the composer plays 19 of his piano compositions. Cowell had an experimental approach to piano and several pieces on the album he is playing by reaching into the piano and plucking or strumming strings.

I love this: In Cowell's piece Anger Dance he instructs the pianist that each phrase "may be repeated many times, depending on how angry the player is able to feel."

blitzchamp
11-14-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm listening to the Sonic the Hedgehog 10th Anniversary Soundtrack.

Balrog
11-14-2008, 12:02 PM
NES music - I'm at C as in Castlevania and Clash at Demonhead.

Aquadeo
11-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Aye, this is a thread which should not die.

As a matter of fact, I've been listening to Neutral Milk Hotel's Aeroplane Over The Sea all week, specifically because of everything I heard about it in this forum.

blitzchamp
11-14-2008, 02:48 PM
I'm listening to the Sonic Adventure soundtrack. The songs that play in the level Lost World are pretty good. That level is also good.

Parish
11-14-2008, 02:56 PM
See: front page of website.

I'm sad, sometimes, that we didn't have technology like portable music players and gloriously remastered albums back when I was really into music. If I'd had a 16GB iPod and a pair of Sennheisers when I was growing up, I'd have ended up with headphones permanently fused to my skull.

But no. I had to go and be a teen in the dark ages of CDs, that five-year period where every album had to be 70-75 minutes of anything a band could crap out rather than 45 minutes of quality.

MCBanjoMike
11-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Man, Dancing Days is a fucking excellent song.

Parish
11-14-2008, 03:25 PM
About 2/3 of everything Zep ever put to vinyl was pretty much incredible.

mopinks
11-14-2008, 03:33 PM
one of the special bonuses that came with the special version of the new Dir en grey album is a pipe organ version of one of the album's tracks. it's like being in the coolest synagogue ever!

blitzchamp
11-14-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm sad, sometimes, that we didn't have technology like portable music players and gloriously remastered albums back when I was really into music. If I'd had a 16GB iPod and a pair of Sennheisers when I was growing up, I'd have ended up with headphones permanently fused to my skull.

I currently am without a portable music player and it's truly torture. Music just sounds better when you're not sitting at your computer listening to it or stuck sitting.

Wolfgang
11-14-2008, 03:44 PM
I currently am without a portable music player and it's truly torture. Music just sounds better when you're not sitting at your computer listening to it or stuck sitting.

This is true. 90% of my music intake is when I'm walking around the city or working out. Probably why most of my favorite music is fast-paced. When I'm at my desk working, I usually either have music turned off or am "listening" to some internet radio that I can ignore.

blitzchamp
11-14-2008, 03:56 PM
This is true. 90% of my music intake is when I'm walking around the city or working out. Probably why most of my favorite music is fast-paced. When I'm at my desk working, I usually either have music turned off or am "listening" to some internet radio that I can ignore.

This reminds me of this thread (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=237) by Calorie Mate.

Wolfgang
11-14-2008, 04:52 PM
This reminds me of this thread (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=237) by Calorie Mate.

Right now though, I'm listening to an all-Christmas station playing "Silver and Gold" by Burl Ives.

Mightyblue
11-14-2008, 05:36 PM
The Zegapain OSTs are love. More so if you like a mish-mash of classical and modern instrumental musics. Sadly, I can't really find anything on youtube, so I can't show you guys how good the music is. All of the non-combat music is great for reading or other passive stuff.

EDIT: Found a last.fm (http://www.last.fm/music/Otsuka+Ayako) station for the composer for the Zegapain OST, but ye need to be logged in.

wumpwoast
11-14-2008, 08:57 PM
I listen to music on CDs and vinyl. The trick is to do chores and menial tasks while listening to music, in addition to playing it at work and everywhere else.

I never miss having an iPod. It's all about albums, people. Albums!

blitzchamp
11-14-2008, 10:07 PM
I listen to music on CDs and vinyl.

That's so last century.

I'm currently listening to the Pokemon Gameboy Collection.

mr_bungle700
11-14-2008, 11:01 PM
It's all about albums, people. Albums!

I'm with you on this. I usually listen to my music in album form, and honestly, if a band can't put together an entire album worth of good music then they don't belong in my collection anyway.

Besides, I do most of my music listening while writing or driving, which albums are well suited for.

blitzchamp
11-15-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm currently listening to Mortal Kombat 2 goodness.

mr_bungle700
11-16-2008, 12:04 AM
So let's see here...

At the moment I'm listening to Buck Jam Tonic, which is a hard rocking jazz trio featuring John Zorn on sax, Bill Laswell on bass and Tatsuya Nakamura on drums. Is that radical? Yes. Yes it is.

Other music for this week has included the new 9mm Parabellum Bullet album Vampire. "Living Dying Message (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXx7VUe_Kzk)" is my favorite single from the album.

Next week I'll be listening to Clammbon, starting with their best of album and probably something else. Clammbon is freaking amazing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn0T2MT-DWs), in case you didn't know.

demonkoala
11-16-2008, 11:42 AM
Incubus - I miss you (a lot of Incubus in general, really)

blitzchamp
11-16-2008, 04:05 PM
I'm listening to the Sonic 3 & Knuckles Soundtrack, The Doomsday 2 Zone has a neat theme to it.

demonkoala
11-17-2008, 07:43 AM
Bump of Chicken - Hybrid Rainbow

pence
11-17-2008, 08:32 AM
I'm listening to the best album of 2008 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hold_On_Now,_Youngster...) for maybe the 20th time.

Broken down like the war economy / Father Führer don’t be mad at me / Peasant child you're into botany / Splitting necks and calling it dichotomy

Beware! The sign on the door suggests / I'm better off with artificial intelligence / I invented you / and I will destroy you

taidan
11-17-2008, 10:31 AM
It is easy to put albums onto an ipod. The Shuffle is particularly great for this, since if you don't put it on random you can just listen to two or so full albums just by hitting play.

Matchstick
11-17-2008, 10:52 AM
I'm digging on the latest Mogwai album, The Hawk is Howling.

Pooch
11-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Curtis Mayfield - Superfly

Temptations - Ultimate Collection

I'm in the mood for funk!

Balrog
11-18-2008, 11:54 AM
Curtis Mayfield - Superfly

Temptations - Ultimate Collection

I'm in the mood for funk!

*high fives

I've been listening to a lot of Parliament lately. Are you aware that the White House is a temporary condition?

pence
11-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Al Green - Lay it Down

Ever since I started holding your hand
I've never, I've never seen such a smiling man
you made me happy baby

Matchstick
11-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Knux to Pooch

For me, I'm listening to Feeding the Organic Computer by vonFrickle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5frL37Bd8k&feature=related).

ajr82
11-18-2008, 01:33 PM
I'm listening to the best album of 2008 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hold_On_Now,_Youngster...) for maybe the 20th time.

Broken down like the war economy / Father Führer don’t be mad at me / Peasant child you're into botany / Splitting necks and calling it dichotomy

Beware! The sign on the door suggests / I'm better off with artificial intelligence / I invented you / and I will destroy you

Yeah, I really love that album, though I'd only call it the 2nd best of 2008. The newer one (We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed) has some really good songs on it, but I don't like it as much overall.

ravinoff
11-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Earlier today at my desk at work I listened to a bunch of Johnny Cash.

Right now I am listening to Samla Mammas Manna, a great Swedish prog rock/jazz fusion band. Specifically I am listening to their self titled album from 1971.

Phat
11-18-2008, 03:40 PM
TED LEO AND THE PHARMACISTS
THE NUMBER 12 LOOKS LIKE YOU
SQUAREPUSHER
CONVERGE

That is all.

Pooch
11-18-2008, 04:49 PM
*high fives

I've been listening to a lot of Parliament lately. Are you aware that the White House is a temporary condition?

The only Parliament record I currently own is Mothership Connection (because "Give Up the Funk" is one of the greatest jams ever, though the rest of the record is awesome as well), and I have a couple of Funkadelic records. I always encounter the same problem when I want to expand my P-Funk collection: I never know where to begin because there's so many albums to get.

(Is that line from "Chocolate City"?)

blitzchamp
11-19-2008, 06:34 AM
I've been listening to Dashboard Confessional-Hands Down this morning.

shivam
11-19-2008, 09:23 AM
i'm listening to my entire library, trying to decide which video game songs are subversive enough to play at my wedding.

Balrog
11-19-2008, 12:53 PM
(Is that line from "Chocolate City"?)
I think so. It's spoken during one of the intros.

pence
11-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Gogol Bordello - Gypsy Punks: Underdog World Strike

60 revolutions per minute
this is my regular speed
So how do you want me to live with it?
How do you want me to live with it?
Without ringing all alarms!
Without overthrowing czars!
Without emptying the bars!
Without screwing with your charts!

BEAT
11-19-2008, 01:25 PM
I set up a playlist on my Ipod that basically contains everything I own from any artist who is, or ever was a part of hellcat records (http://www.hell-cat.com/). So basically I'm shuffling a metric ton of Rancid, with some Dropkick Murphys, Distillers, Unseen, Time again, Left Alone and Transplants mixed in for flavor.

And right now, It's playing Rigged on a Fix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-42fQOHStg), by Rancid, approrpiately enough. Or at least it was when I started typing this. The song's barely over a minute long. We're now on Motreal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBUDMRybllk) by Time Again. I can live with that.

EDIT: upon linking to the Hellcat Records Site, I discovered a band called Civet. I now need to go and buy some of their stuff. This is all your fault, Talking time. You make me do these things.

blitzchamp
11-22-2008, 11:50 AM
I'm listening to Zanarkand Ruins from the FFX-2 soundtrack, it's one of my favorites.

mr_bungle700
11-23-2008, 05:03 PM
My discovery of the day is Guernica, which is a group from the 80s that performed songs in a 20s and 30s cabaret style. It was the result of the combined forces of Koji Ueno (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koji_Ueno) and Jun Togawa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jun_Togawa), and was exactly as crazy as that pairing should be.

Like so (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn9UeO9NDHs).

Music makes me so damn happy sometimes.

blitzchamp
11-23-2008, 05:08 PM
The Mushroom Hill Zone 2 music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onjYGtkAWx4&feature=related) from Sonic and Knuckles is pretty awesome.

mopinks
11-23-2008, 05:48 PM
the new Gackt single is shockingly non-terrible!

I always secretly hope for him to make decent music someday, because the dude's got killer pipes.

Phat
11-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Every piece of music Gackt produces is a shining gem A SHINING GEM

demonkoala
11-23-2008, 06:16 PM
I liked his, Returner - Yami no Shuuen a lot
It's got the traditional stuff along with the rock...it's coo.
Not to mention, the kouhaku performance of it was pretty great too.

mr_bungle700
11-23-2008, 06:23 PM
the new Gackt single is shockingly non-terrible!

I always secretly hope for him to make decent music someday, because the dude's got killer pipes.

The solution here is to make your own Gackt songs (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-05-07/singer/actor-gackt-lends-voice-for-next-virtual-singer).

mopinks
11-24-2008, 05:58 PM
The solution here is to make your own Gackt songs (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-05-07/singer/actor-gackt-lends-voice-for-next-virtual-singer).

finally, my long-awaited Gackt rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody can become a reality!

SEMI-RELATED: Kanon Wakeshima (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWUxZ7LIUss) is a cute girl and she plays the cello. all of her songs sound exactly the same, but it's enjoyable for what it is!

Dizzy
11-24-2008, 07:14 PM
SEMI-RELATED: Kanon Wakeshima (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWUxZ7LIUss) is a cute girl and she plays the cello. all of her songs sound exactly the same, but it's enjoyable for what it is!

mopinks seems to have a thing for cute Asian girls and stringed instruments.

Peach
11-24-2008, 07:17 PM
I'm listening to Elvis Costello[ & The Attractions]'s Imperial Bedroom as I cook pasta. I need to listen to more of his stuff.

Balrog
11-25-2008, 12:31 AM
iTunes shuffle put this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NEE8oURdM0) and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHBwDYyyGxs) together. It's magic.

Zarathustra
11-25-2008, 08:16 AM
it's enjoyable for what it is!

And what it is... is Asian-fetishism.

mopinks
11-25-2008, 01:42 PM
http://zamora.zamomo.com/kamp/Copy%20of%201126301782767.gif

Mightyblue
11-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Which is better:

The OST for the first season of the Big O

or

The OST for the second season?

GO!

pence
11-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Outkast - The Love Below

I know you'd like to think your shit don't stank
But lean a little bit closer
Roses really smell like poo-poo
Yeah, roses really smell like poo-poo

UnChocolate
11-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Which is better:

The OST for the first season of the Big O

or

The OST for the second season?

GO!
your brain asplode

pence
11-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Shame I can't find a version of this without super-annoying interjections and ads for Empire Mixtapes.

Lil Wayne - The Drought is Over 2 (Carter 3 Sessions mixtape)

I am sitting on the clouds
I got smoke coming from my seat
I can play basketball with the moon
I got the whole world at my feet
Playing touch football on marijuana Street
Or in a marijuana field
You are so beneath my cleats
Get high, so high that I feel like lying
Down in a cigar
Roll me up & smoke me cause
I feel like dying

Phat
11-29-2008, 07:35 AM
mewithoutYou (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R8y4NxPdSs)

grawesome

philliam
11-29-2008, 07:39 AM
Bear Vs. Shark

*licks lips lovingly*

Phat
11-29-2008, 07:51 AM
Let us be married on a beach under the sun

Marfy
11-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Listening Time, I have fourteen songs left on my eMusic account for this month. Lately, I have been listening to the New Pornographers, Screeching Weasel and She & Him. What should I get with these fourteen remaining songs?

Little Sampson
11-30-2008, 11:21 AM
mewithoutYou (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R8y4NxPdSs)

grawesome

Listen to this man. He is so right.

I am currently going through most of Sonic Youth's discography for the first time. I'm up to Dirty, which I think is my most favorite.

Pooch
12-02-2008, 01:45 PM
The following albums have been getting air time in my CD player lately:

The Beatles - The Beatles
Chuck Berry - The Great Twenty-Eight
Elvis Costello & The Attractions - This Year's Model
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King and Red
MC5 - Back in the USA (I'll lose whatever cred I have by saying I like this much more than Kick Out the Jams)
Syoko Suzuki - Sweet Serenity

Also, Superfly still. I can't get enough of that album lately.

Dizzy
12-02-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm listening to some techno song where some gal is singing:

I am the beef injector. I am the beef injector!

Huh. Back to work!

gamin
12-02-2008, 09:43 PM
From playing LittleBigPlanet I have discovered my new favorite album:

Battles - Mirrored

The track Atlus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpGp-22t0lU) appears in one of the city stages I played a couple days ago and it really stuck with me. So I looked it up and got myself the whole album. And here I was thinking there's nothing new to hear in rock music.

mrbuu82
12-02-2008, 09:45 PM
MC5 - Back in the USA (I'll lose whatever cred I have by saying I like this much more than Kick Out the Jams)

Kick Out The Jams is really not their best song, but that album gets my vote over the Back in the USA for Borderline and Ramblin' Rose. Really though, any MC5 is good MC5.

ravinoff
12-03-2008, 12:00 PM
From playing LittleBigPlanet I have discovered my new favorite album:

Battles - Mirrored

The track Atlus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpGp-22t0lU) appears in one of the city stages I played a couple days ago and it really stuck with me. So I looked it up and got myself the whole album. And here I was thinking there's nothing new to hear in rock music.
Battles is a great band, especially live. I also recommend grabbing EP C/B EP, which is a compilation of two of their EPs. S Z 2, the first track of B EP is my favorite thing they have done.

If you like Battles you should check out Battles' guitarist Ian Williams previous band, Don Caballero. What Burns Never Returns and American Don are my two favorite albums of theirs. Don't bother with any Don Cab that came out after American Don because after that the band broke up and the drummer had rights to the name, he reformed the band with a whole other set of musicians and while he is still a fantastic drummer the music just isn't very good.

Edit:
Reasonably good fan made music video for the Don Caballero's
You Drink a Lot of Coffee For a Teenager (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xod_CrP-YQs)

Don Cabellero live (most of the stuff on youtube is the current incarnation of the band, these aren't)
That Badge Means You Suck (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlpfvr5MMls)
A Lot of People Tell Me I Have a Fake British Accent (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFp5jJ29T9U)

Sanagi
12-03-2008, 05:48 PM
Starlift Steel Orchestra - We Just Can't Go On Like This

Ray Holman's panorama tunes are like classical symphonies in fast forward.

BEAT
12-03-2008, 06:03 PM
The Gummibear of Candicornia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbnQZTQWpZc&feature=related).

By which I mean Austrian Death Machine.

Knight
12-04-2008, 09:36 AM
I've been on a huge Queens of the Stone Age kick all week. They're all I've been wanting to listen to and I've probably downloaded about 2 gigs of live bootlegs.

Paul le Fou
12-04-2008, 11:39 AM
I've had William Shatner's cover of Pulp's "Common People" stuck in my head for days and days,

pence
12-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

Music scene is crazy, bands start up each and every day
I saw another one just the other day
A special new band

Edit:

They Might Be Giants
Sonic Youth

It's like a college radio station on my playlist today.

Animate Nihilist
12-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Also Sprach Zarathustra

Love, love, love.

Phat
12-05-2008, 09:45 AM
As much as I love Ghostship, the Fall of Troy should probably shy away from their Mars Volta influence.

UnChocolate
12-06-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm really loving the Valkyria Chronicles OST. I'm a huge sucker for orchestral music.

Ilchymis
12-07-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm sad I skipped over this thread at its inception. :( I've been enjoying a lot of stuff lately, but if there's one artist I could mention, it would be Madlib and the majority of the Stones Throw Label. Beat Konducta Vol 5, the new Koushik record, Madvillain vol. 2; it's all just great!

Ilchymis
12-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Battles is a great band, especially live. I also recommend grabbing EP C/B EP, which is a compilation of two of their EPs. S Z 2, the first track of B EP is my favorite thing they have done.

If you like Battles you should check out Battles' guitarist Ian Williams previous band, Don Caballero. What Burns Never Returns and American Don are my two favorite albums of theirs. Don't bother with any Don Cab that came out after American Don because after that the band broke up and the drummer had rights to the name, he reformed the band with a whole other set of musicians and while he is still a fantastic drummer the music just isn't very good.

Really? I thought World Class Listening Problem was better than their older stuff, which is too sporadic and dark in comparison to the stellar American Don. At least we can agree on that album's pure awesome.

Also good mathy bands to check out are Dakota/Dakota, Tera Melos, Redneck Manifesto, Piglet, Russian Circles, and a boatload of others. Great stuff.

mopinks
12-08-2008, 09:02 PM
I decided to listen to the new Opeth single for the Alice in Chains cover, and hey, the two other non-Alice-in-Chains-related-songs included in the deal ain't half bad neither!

also listening to Metronome's COLLECTION 2, because one collection of borderline irritating nintendocore punk rock FROM THE FUTURE just isn't enough.

PatientBeast
12-08-2008, 09:22 PM
I've been listening to some Django Reinhart, Raymond Scott, Tipsy, and Booker T lately. A nice mix of jazz, funk, and latin lounge. =)

Kevin
12-09-2008, 08:40 PM
I don't normally say this about music, but I think I'm honestly just not high enough to fully appreciate Gong.

ravinoff
12-10-2008, 01:08 AM
I don't normally say this about music, but I think I'm honestly just not high enough to fully appreciate Gong.
I require no altered mental states to enjoy the hell out of Gong's Angel's Egg and You albums.

Matchstick
12-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Currently checking out Steven Wilson's latest release (and first full-length solo effort), Insurgentes.

Phat
12-10-2008, 05:09 PM
JOANNA NEWSOM

boners all around

mopinks
12-11-2008, 06:22 PM
I added A WHOLE LOT of MIDORI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaM5g1NcBro) to my playlist.

MY POWER TO DRAW HAS INCREASED TENFOLD
(SIDE EFFECT: AN INEVITABLE DESCENT INTO MADNESS)

Phat
12-11-2008, 06:46 PM
fuckin' midori bro

that's ballin'

that's so ballin'

Ganietzsche
12-11-2008, 11:47 PM
I require no altered mental states to enjoy the hell out of Gong's Angel's Egg and You albums.

Likewise; nor do I need said states to enjoy their albums Camembert Electrique, Magick Brother and Flying Teapot.

Kevin
12-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Likewise; nor do I need said states to enjoy their albums Camembert Electrique, Magick Brother and Flying Teapot.

I'm listening to You now, and it's actually really awesome. And I do definitely enjoy the earlier stuff, but I just kind of feel like I'm not getting everything out of it that the band put into it, you know? It's a little strange because I listen to a lot of weird music and I don't usually feel that way.

Marfy
12-14-2008, 12:10 AM
The Gaslight Anthem (http://www.gaslightanthem.com/) are absolutely incredible. You should listen to them.

Dizzy
12-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Hissing Fauna is a better album, but they're going for different things.

Whu...whu...WHOA. What was I missing here?

Roisin Murphy - Overpowered (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlFjf1pWk2c&feature=channel)

...sigh. :o

mopinks
12-15-2008, 11:14 PM
YES YES YES

I still had 500 yen sitting around doing nothing on my Japanese iTunes account, and I just found out they had Inugami Circus-dan's version of JINGLE BELLS on there!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/ranchuu/eb987f6c.jpg
A VERY EROGURO CHRISTMAS

Ganietzsche
12-16-2008, 05:54 AM
I'm listening to You now, and it's actually really awesome. And I do definitely enjoy the earlier stuff, but I just kind of feel like I'm not getting everything out of it that the band put into it, you know? It's a little strange because I listen to a lot of weird music and I don't usually feel that way.

To be honest I think I got this impression when I first heard Gong too, or something like it at least. Their albums on the BYG/Actuel label are what turned me around though.

redstuff
12-16-2008, 05:23 PM
don't you love impulse purchases that turn out to be amazing? I bought a copy of Love Psychedelico's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Psychedelico) first album at Book Off during a recent NY trip. I only got it 'cause it was 3 bucks and I was familiar with the name, but I'm in love with the album now and have been listening to it frequently for the past week.

mopinks
12-18-2008, 09:26 AM
I was worried about the new Merry single, because it contains a remix version of one of my favorite songs and their remixes uniformly blow and blow hard. but it turns out it's actually just an acoustic version! this is acceptable.

Phat
12-18-2008, 02:03 PM
Outkast, motherfucker.

Balrog
12-29-2008, 12:34 PM
"More, More, More" has the best bridge of any disco song around.

Dizzy
12-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Animal Collective (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Collective) - Merriweather Post Pavilion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merriweather_Post_Pavilion_(album))

Wow. I'm like scared and satisfied by this stuff at the same time. Summertime Clothes is great!

pence
12-29-2008, 01:42 PM
2008 No Age album makes my room sound cooler, after a week I might even start humming some of the tracks.

UnChocolate
12-29-2008, 02:47 PM
Animal Collective is weird. I like their stuff on album, but I tried going to one of their live concerts once and I ended up leaving early.

I've spent a good chunk of today listening to the new stuff that's been coming out of Comiket since yesterday. Two of my favorite circles put out good stuff already, so hopefully it gets better from here on out.

Phat
12-29-2008, 03:31 PM
NO AGE
NO AGE
WAAHH

No one can make me enjoy Mika Miko, however.

Or maybe they can.

Sanagi
12-29-2008, 04:21 PM
Castaways and Cutouts.

I like this.

Even if Colin Meloy seems to have a weird thing about deflowering virgins in a lot of his story-songs.

Balrog
12-31-2008, 07:17 AM
Star Shaped isn't my favorite blur song but it's pretty awesome when the shuffle gods decide to remind you of its awesomeness.

Matchstick
12-31-2008, 08:49 AM
I'm digging on my newly acquired copy of Carnavas from Silversun Pickups.

Sanagi
12-31-2008, 09:40 AM
The Passage, Andy Narell & Calypsociation.

Probably no one here is interested, but this is the best steelband album ever recorded.

Phat
12-31-2008, 12:52 PM
Folie a Deux is very good.

ravinoff
01-11-2009, 01:18 AM
Macchina Maccheronica by Stormy Six. Italian prog band from the '70s. Late period romanticism and atonal music filtered through late '70s progressive rock. Good stuff!

KCar
01-12-2009, 11:03 AM
A beautiful song with a ridiculous story/video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLw5b70OJH8)