PDA

View Full Version : Recommend some audio books

Red Hedgehog
08-04-2008, 11:23 AM
So on Thursday, I'll be taking a two week vacation. About 12 hours of that will involve me driving with no one else in the car (unless you count my dog, but he doesn't make great conversation).

I'm not looking for books in general, but more for books you know that have made a good transition from the written word to the spoken word. Thanks for any advice!

Wolfgang
08-04-2008, 11:27 AM
John Hodgman's The Areas Of My Expertise, which in a lot of ways is better than the original book, in terms of improv commentary and music by Hodgman and Jonathan Coulton. You know him, he's the Portal Song Guy.

Even if you've read the original, I still can't recommend the audiobook enough. You all should already own it. Shame on you if you don't.

Edit: free samples! (http://www.areasofmyexpertise.com/audiobook.html)

Phat
08-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Speaking of Hodgman, Jon Stewart and the writers of the Daily Show present: America: The Book: The Audiobook: A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction is a good audiobook.

It's humorous.

Wolfgang
08-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Speaking of Hodgman, Jon Stewart and the writers of the Daily Show present: America: The Book: The Audiobook: A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction is a good audiobook.

It's humorous.

Similarly, Colbert's I Am America And So Can You.

And while we're going down that road, Wigfield. It's basically a hilarious radio drama by the cast of Strangers With Candy.

Red Hedgehog
08-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Similarly, Colbert's I Am America And So Can You.

This was one of the audio books I listened to on my last long car trip.

Wolfgang
08-04-2008, 01:05 PM
This was one of the audio books I listened to on my last long car trip.

Then you pretty much can't go wrong with any of the suggestions! That must be good to know, right? Unless you hated it, in which case, fuck.

Sven
08-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Who knows if you can find it, but Jim Lovell's Lost Moon (which I think was officially re-named Apollo 13) was in my old car for a long, long time. It's even more involving than the movie, which takes some doing.

Sprite
08-04-2008, 04:28 PM
David Sedaris.

Tavir
08-04-2008, 05:35 PM
David Sedaris.

This this this. All of Sedaris' short stories read like mini-essays that were designed for spoken word. Honestly, after my sister first introduced me to his stuff via his audio books, I can barely go back and read his material in written form. They were meant to be delivered in Sedaris' trademark fashion.

dwolfe
08-04-2008, 08:59 PM
David Sedaris.

Not this. I can't stand his writing. Mostly because I utterly, utterly cannot relate to the people he writes about. Ever.

Go for some science fiction. Dune or Ringworld, maybe.

alexb
08-05-2008, 11:16 AM
I find him irritating in large doses. My wife said she enjoyed the audio book of World War Z quite a bit. I read the actual book and I found it very entertaining, so it seems logical the audio book should be good too. It has a multi-person cast that includes Mark Hamill, so that speaks well for it, too.

ringworm
08-05-2008, 11:40 AM
David Sedaris.
I just listened to the audiobook for When You Are Engulfed In Flames on my most recent road trip and it was fantastic.

Red Hedgehog
08-05-2008, 11:54 AM
My wife said she enjoyed the audio book of World War Z quite a bit.

This was the other book I listened to on my last road trip and I found it to be pretty amazing. Much more than what I expected. Looks like I chose well last time. Hopefully I'll do equally well this time.

Add to Queue's VsRobot
08-05-2008, 05:40 PM
I just listened to the audiobook for When You Are Engulfed In Flames on my most recent road trip and it was fantastic.

I've been listening to this for the past few days -- it's excellent. Sedaris deserves all the praise he's been getting in the thread. :P

Jakanden
08-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Henry Rollins has a lot of good spoken word stuff. It ranges from comedy, to poetry, to essays about life when he was with Black Flag.

dwolfe
08-05-2008, 08:02 PM
I've been listening to this for the past few days -- it's excellent. Sedaris deserves all the praise he's been getting in the thread. :P

No. Stop it people. What do you see in his writings? Seriously. I'd love to enjoy it. I read two books of his when a really cute redhead I liked loaned them to me a couple years ago.

I could barely muster a 'it wasn't my thing' and i really liked the girl too.

Red Hedgehog
08-05-2008, 09:13 PM
So I made my choices this evening.

I'm glad I was reminded of Sedaris. I've liked his stuff on This American Life for awhile and thought Me Talk Pretty One Day was hilarious. So I picked up When You Are Engulfed in Flames.

Also, I picked up Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle (which I think I haven't read before - I'll be disappointed if I have) and Kitchen Confidential.

w00t, road trip!

jeditanuki
08-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Also, I picked up...Kitchen Confidential.

Ooh, yeah! That's a good one!

Sven
08-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Although Tony isn't quite as lively in it as he is when narrating No Reservations.

(Which was great this past week, FWIW - Alice Cooper AND Ted Nugent!)

Jakanden
08-06-2008, 05:59 PM

It's humorous.

I listened to this today (audible) and dear gods this was awesome. When they got to the media and Jon went off on a tirade and had to restart the chapter, I lost it.

Meditative_Zebra
02-03-2017, 02:30 PM
So apparently Bronson Pinchot from Perfect Strangers is now an acclaimed audio book reader (http://www.audiofilemagazine.com/narrators/bronson-pinchot/). That's wild because this is what I imagine most people remember the guy for.

GfPg5LjGYz8

Peach
02-03-2017, 08:39 PM
I've always meant to listen to some of Peter Marinker's* audiobook stuff. Guy's got a beautiful voice, and is essentially the sound of my youth:

BxP8v3sGjR4

*People round these parts probably know him as Kingseeker Frampt, if not Captain Gotoh.

Meditative_Zebra
02-04-2017, 03:26 AM
I always enjoyed listening to the late Tony Jay. It's a shame that he never narrated any audio books. Oh, jeepers! Tony Jay did narrate (https://www.simplyaudiobooks.com/audio-books-narrator/Tony+Jay/nrt/7584/) a couple of audio books. It might be worth listening to The Castle of Otranto just for Jay's narration.

Tony Jay is best known, of course, as Claude Frollo in Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame but I remember him fondly as the artfully menacing mutant leader in the original Fallout.

8U9T8Z_Ayhw

Meditative_Zebra
02-25-2017, 04:01 PM
Got the eAudioBook of The Maltese Falcon from the library and it turns out it's not just a narration but basically a radio drama. And the cast includes the gravelly-voiced Michael Madsen (who I remember as the cruel leader of survivors from Telltale's The Walking Dead Season 2) in the leading role as Sam Spade and Deep Space Nine's Quark, i.e., Armin Shimerman as Wilmer. It's pretty great!

Although, even though I've never seen film version of The Maltese Falcon, it still seems a little off to not hear Peter Lorre voicing Joel Cairo.