PDA

View Full Version : VH1 Classic, make my video!

ArugulaZ
08-08-2008, 02:28 AM
After a month of suffering with crummy basic cable, I've got the full complement of channels, minus those dumb overpriced premium networks and a few stray digital channels (Green TV? You're really making this a network? No sale).

One of my favorites among the new networks I'm getting is VH1 Classic, which is essentially the resurrection of the old VH1 and MTV. Music videos dominate the programming schedule, with the remaining hours reserved for music-themed films and concert specials. In short, it's a delight for fans of classic rock, who have long been deprived of this content on the mainstream "music" networks.

Here are some random thoughts and observations about what I've seen on VH1 Classic:

* This is Spinal Tap is a pretty good film, although slightly dry considering the subject material. Also, the band has to be based at least partially on Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. I remember Jeremy telling me about some of the literally self-satisfying stunts at an ELP concert that would have been right at home in this film. Also, Spinal Tap Mark 2 (the reformed band after one member leaves) plays instrumental music that's a close match for some tunes by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.

* Speaking of self-satisfying, Van Halen has to be the most self-important band on the face of the earth. The video for Dreams was shot outside one of their concerts, where fans professed their undying love and loyalty for the band. Uh, you guys have heard their music, right? They can't even keep a lead singer for more than five years because Eddie's ego is the size of Jupiter.

* Some of these videos are pretty lame. I've seen at least two that were little more than slideshows. I could have done this shit in Windows Movie Maker! Others have slightly better production values, with members of the band performing in concert or on a sound stage. And here I was thinking that every video was as innovative and high-concept as A-Ha's Take on Me, or Cyndi Lauper's She-Bop!

* I really like the station breaks, which quickly flash an image that represents a popular song. For instance, a trio of hot women sitting on top of a film reel is "Girls on Film" by Duran Duran. I always seem to figure these out just as the break ends and VH1 cuts to commercial.

* 120 Minutes is probably my favorite programming block. Alternative and punk music from the 80s seems to be the focus here, with tunes from New Order, Oingo Boingo, Joy Division, and other leaders of the new age music scene. Too bad they almost never air it!

* There's very little run-off from VH1, or rather, the mess that VH1 has become. This is fantastic because those shows were incredibly snarky and wore on the nerves in a hurry. You do get the occasional top one hundred list from VH1, but they're all about music so they feel right at home on the network.

* Ronnie James Dio is a very ugly man.

ArugulaZ
08-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Nobody gets this channel?

Jeanie
08-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Sorry, it's on the "pay extra" set of channels for me. I would like it though, I actually like music videos for the most part and I am rather sad that there are THREE freaking music channels that don't play music.

pence
08-08-2008, 11:09 AM
On the other hand, the title of this thread got me thinking about the possibilities of a youtube-powered Make My Video game. Feed it a music video, and it randomly selects two other videos which you can crossfade, or add crazy effects to. The game's characters would IM you with requests, 'Dragonforce is so metal, I want my video to have someone falling off a treadmill, a leather daddy smoking a cigar and lots of star wipes~'

Digital Pictures: Get back to me, let's work something out. VH1 could be attached to the project, if that makes it relevant to the thread.

ArugulaZ
08-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Oh man, this is too good. I'm watching a block of Rush, capped off with a new video that looks like it was pulled straight out of the 1980s. Wait, here it is!

http://www.vh1classic.com/view/artist/15472/149199/Rush/Far_Cry/index.jhtml

Is Snakes and Arrows their latest album, or was it Vapo(u)r Trail? I don't remember.

taidan
08-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Its Snakes and Arrows

ArugulaZ
08-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks. Wow, the lead singer from Heart has gotten big! Wasn't expecting that at all...

Sheana
08-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Man I love VH1 Classic to bits. I don't get it in my cable package, but my family did/does, and I watched it all the time when I was home from college. Music is a big part of my life, and I tend to automatically match visuals with it all, so a channel that was pretty much entirely classic music videos and music movies was manna from heaven.

I miss it. :( Youtube fills in the gaps here and there when the longing gets bad, but it ain't the same.

ArugulaZ
08-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Well, they do have a web site...

http://www.vh1classic.com/browse/video/17278/featured-playlists/index.jhtml

They've got all the videos that are currently in rotation on the network. I prefer the random selection that television offers, but if you don't have VH1 Classic, the web site is an adequate substitute; far better than anything you'll find on YouTube.