PDA

View Full Version : Pineapple Express is pretty funny guys.

AJR
08-08-2008, 09:39 AM
I honestly didnít know what to expect when I saw this, but I was laughing pretty hard the whole way through. Iíd put it up there with Superbad. If youíre not a fan of the current string of Apatow comedies I donít know if it would do anything to change your opinion, but Iíll be damned if I wasnít almost in tears near the end.

Kishi
08-08-2008, 10:28 AM
I agree!

You know those old movies from the '70s and '80s where two unassuming stoners get caught up in some convoluted crime web far beyond their understanding and experience crazy predicaments trying to get themselves out of it?

Not only is this a rare modern example of that type of movie, but it's also one of the best I've ever seen.

Paul le Fou
08-08-2008, 11:34 AM
I agree. I think it also inadvertently raises some interesting ethical questions regarding cinema and violence. But more importantly, it is, indeed, pretty funny.

Sprite
08-08-2008, 12:04 PM
I don't know how this guy manages to keep making movies that look horrible in previews but end up being good. Maybe he needs a new publicist?

Ben1842
08-08-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm gonna watch it because I love Freaks and Geeks, but I didn't really like Super Bad, so hopefully I'll like this one better.
I did however like Knocked Up (which also had many Freaks and Geeks cameos).

Badinage
08-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Superbad was one of the Apatow-produced comedies I was fond of. Since I read that Pineapple Express was done by the same writing team, Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, I was definitely willing to believe it might be at least okay. I really have to hand it to them: they took a stoner movie and made it more ridiculous and rather violent. I don't know if I'd say it's "good," but it definitely made me laugh. I don't know why I seem fine with Seth Rogen in this and other movies but was annoyed by him in Knocked Up.

Heh heh. James Franco in pajamas.

O..O~
08-08-2008, 11:39 PM
God this movie made me want to get high, I used to smoke a lot last year but I really cut back and smoke maybe once every 2-3 months. This made me wax nostalgic for those high school moments hanging out with my douchebag stoner friends.

Evil Dead Junkie
08-08-2008, 11:54 PM
FUCK THE POLICE!!!

Calorie Mate
08-09-2008, 12:38 AM
How'd this compare to Forgetting Sarah Marshall? Because I thought that was pretty awful.

Kishi
08-09-2008, 01:10 AM
A tepid, stock title like "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" should throw up all kinds of red flags. I never saw it, but I can guarantee this movie is at least nine million times its superior.

AJR
08-09-2008, 01:41 AM
How'd this compare to Forgetting Sarah Marshall? Because I thought that was pretty awful.

I actually enjoyed Forgetting Sarah Marshall, but I enjoyed this movie more. In any case, itís definitely a very different movie to what FSM was.

Calorie Mate
08-09-2008, 11:51 AM
A tepid, stock title like "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" should throw up all kinds of red flags. I never saw it, but I can guarantee this movie is at least nine million times its superior.

That was my initial reacion, but when you have people gushing about how it's the funniest movie to be released in years and years, you can't help but at least be a little curious.

I think I'll take the "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" approach and skip this one. Not really a big Appatow fan in generally, anyway.

Matchstick
08-09-2008, 04:15 PM
I enjoyed it overall, but I would rate Forgetting Sarah Marshall slightly ahead of this one and Superbad decidedly ahead of both.

spineshark
08-09-2008, 10:59 PM
I saw it earlier tonight (pretty much the most social thing I've done all summer =( ) and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm not going to pretend to rank it or anything while I'm still coming off of the...err...high. I would say I liked it more than Superbad, but most of the comparisons I come up with between the two favors Superbad, so that can't be right. Or can it?

I would've preferred less graphic violence though. It was still within my range of tolerance but it really kind of killed a couple scenes for me. I also don't really know what Paul's getting at and would be happy if he explained a bit more for my thick head.

Ganietzsche
08-10-2008, 05:29 AM
Well, it goes onto the fairly illustrious list of films that include a Moondog song on the soundtrack. I haven't seen it yet, but I plan to.

Adrenaline
08-10-2008, 07:09 AM
That was my initial reacion, but when you have people gushing about how it's the funniest movie to be released in years and years, you can't help but at least be a little curious.

Really? I thought it was decent, but that's a crazy thing to say.

jeditanuki
08-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Man, you all owe me six bucks...not much funny.

Adrenaline
08-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Shut up. That was terrific.

standing8
08-10-2008, 05:14 PM
I haven't even seen one Apatow comedy yet. I've had Superbad in my possession for like 6 months but haven't gotten the urge to watch it. Hey, you guys know we landed on the moon? Crazy.

Savathun
08-10-2008, 05:16 PM
I was actually very dissapointed when I learned this movie didn't somehow involve a train. I'm not kidding.

And I'm not sure if these kinds of movies are really for me, since I've never gotten high. I mean, it's still funny, but it feels like I missed something. Sorta like people who go to see Serenity without seeing Firefly first. You can still have fun, but there's, like... a whole background you're missing out on.

Adrenaline
08-10-2008, 05:20 PM
I haven't even seen one Apatow comedy yet. I've had Superbad in my possession for like 6 months but haven't gotten the urge to watch it. Hey, you guys know we landed on the moon? Crazy.

I doubt that. Have you seen the list of movies he's produced?

Paul le Fou
08-10-2008, 08:16 PM
I've never gotten high either and still appreciated Pineapple Express.

Stiv
08-11-2008, 12:08 AM
This movie came from some parallel universe where Shane Black was a massive stoner, I swear.

Alastor
08-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Sorry guys, I thought it was terrible. There are so many reasons for this that I wouldn't know where to start. The last scene tried so hard to kill its own humor by going on for several minutes longer than it should have, it would make Family Guy blush. My thought process for the entire movie was basically "Okay, guys, we get it. You're stoned. Next scene please." I would say it's the Cars of the Apatow movies, but even Cars wasn't aggressively bad.

Dizzy
08-12-2008, 05:00 PM
You'd think Kickboxer 4: The Aggressor (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110255/) was aggressively bad.

zonetrope
08-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Loved the stoned buds on the lam, hated it when it turned into a boring action comedy. Why is every Apatow movie fucking 20 minutes too long? His movies are funny enough for me to buy into the hype, but it takes a comedic mind of rare talent to be able to pass the 1:35 threshold without things getting tedious.

Phat
08-12-2008, 07:06 PM
I watched it today and there were four old ladies sitting in front of me. As we were leaving, one of them said "Any of you ever see Half Baked?"

Apparently all of them had.

Adrenaline
08-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Sorry guys, I thought it was terrible. There are so many reasons for this that I wouldn't know where to start. The last scene tried so hard to kill its own humor by going on for several minutes longer than it should have, it would make Family Guy blush. My thought process for the entire movie was basically "Okay, guys, we get it. You're stoned. Next scene please." I would say it's the Cars of the Apatow movies, but even Cars wasn't aggressively bad.

I thought it was kind of the point. Why are you watching a movie about stoners not expecting to see a lot of people acting stoned?

reibeatall
08-16-2008, 08:34 PM
I've never gotten high either and still appreciated Pineapple Express.

This. Man, the movie was really funny.