PDA

View Full Version : Estradasphere's Palace of Mirrors

wumpwoast
08-10-2008, 11:32 PM
I purchased "Palace of Mirrors" yesterday, and I'm really enjoying it -- if anyone remembers Mr Bungle on "California" where they mashed together genres underneath a single conceptual "sunny brightness", these guys do the same thing! Except replace sunshine with a Tim Burton-sort of "comically bizarre darkness".

Where do I proceed from here? I've tapped out Bungle, but this is my only Estradasphere album and I know there's other associated bands like Secret Chiefs 3...

ravinoff
08-11-2008, 06:37 AM
I purchased "Palace of Mirrors" yesterday, and I'm really enjoying it -- if anyone remembers Mr Bungle on "California" where they mashed together genres underneath a single conceptual "sunny brightness", these guys do the same thing! Except replace sunshine with a Tim Burton-sort of "comically bizarre darkness".

Where do I proceed from here? I've tapped out Bungle, but this is my only Estradasphere album and I know there's other associated bands like Secret Chiefs 3...
Definitely check out Secret Chiefs 3, good albums to start would be Book of Horizons or Book M.

Another band to look into would be Farmer's Market. Similar to Estradasphere but with a stronger emphasis on eastern european folk.

The next band is not really similar to Estradasphere but I would recommend them to any fan of Estrada or Bungle: Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. I am going to quote my comments on them from the listening time thread:
My favorite band. Draws from extreme metal, 20th Century avant-guard classical, industrial, and performance art. Uses no synths or samplers for their variety of odd sounds and textures but instead a wide variety of instruments they have built (such as a 7 foot long table mounted bass guitar thing strung with piano strings they play with both mallets and a bow). Very polyrhythmic percussion (they have both a drummer on kit and a percussionist on a wide variety of percussion...things...they have built). As far as the more traditional instruments go the violin is typically just as prominent as the guitar. The lead singer has a tremendously rich, deep, operatic voice. Of Natural History is their best album.
SGM stuff on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD_5Tp7W-Gg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX67nl-esFg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELyco68w5ks

Edit: Just thought I'd add that SGM's violinist, Carla Kihlstedt, played violin on Mr Bungle's California.

shivam
08-11-2008, 11:08 AM
estradasphere does the best version of the SMB2 theme song in the history of ever.

ravinoff
08-11-2008, 11:15 AM
estradasphere does the best version of the SMB2 theme song in the history of ever.
Their medley of Legend of Zelda music is pretty fantastic too.

wumpwoast
08-11-2008, 03:52 PM
I need to hear their Zelda stuff now. I heard the SMB2 swing-jazz arrangement years ago in college, which seeded a slow-burning incentive for me to perfect my own piano skills until I can play that song *perfectly*. I'm about 80% there.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. It shall make my future Amoeba trips much less boring.