PDA

View Full Version : Reading Time Round 2

Matchstick
08-28-2008, 08:01 AM
I decided to go ahead and just rework the previous poll and let everybody revote. I dropped the book we've already done and those that got a low number of votes so that we can narrow the field a little and hopefully get a better view of what people want to read. I'll leave this open for a few days and then we'll give everybody a week or so to get the book. In the intervening time, we can work out a schedule for dividing up the book into discussable chunks. If that all goes smoothly, I'll post the first discussion thread on Tuesday, September 9, 2008.

I made all the options in the poll links to the Amazon entries for each book in case people want to get a better idea of what they're in for with each choice.

tungwene
08-28-2008, 12:16 PM
I picked Cloud Atlas and Monte Christo. The former intrigued me in the first round and Monte Christo I can read on Project Gutenberg which means I can do it while I'm at work!

Dizzy
08-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Ah, dammit! I messed up again. Voted for one damn thing. FUCK.

Little Sampson
08-28-2008, 02:46 PM
I voted A Game of Thrones and Monte Cristo. I already own both, and I'm two hundred pages into GoT.

Eusis
08-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Exact same as last time, a Game of Thrones and Choke.

PapillonReel
08-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Game of Thrones and Monte Cristo for me, since I own the former and really want to read the latter sometime.

Violentvixen
08-28-2008, 03:55 PM
The Long Goodbye because a TON of people have told me to read it, and If On Winter's Night a Traveler because it's my favorite book.

Pombar
08-28-2008, 04:30 PM
Cloud Atlas because it's the only one on there that's less dense than our last choice. I think a change of tone from the academic style would be most welcome!
But I also voted Monte Cristo because I can't get enough Dumas.

keele864
08-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Cloud Atlas because it's the only one on there that's less dense than our last choice. I think a change of tone from the academic style would be most welcome!
But I also voted Monte Cristo because I can't get enough Dumas.

The Long Goodbye is hardly dense...

Not sure if I'll vote in this - I've read all but two of these (Heck, I suggested some of them), and I own all but one book on the list.

Monte Cristo is fantastic, but really long. Still, one of my favorite books.

Pombar
08-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Maybe not so much dense as dreary on that one. I found it stoppy-starty and just generally uninvolving. Felt more like the whole thing was trying to make points rather than tell a story.

EDIT: I just realised that I've only read it at college for study purposes, which probably coloured my opinion of it that particular shade of unfair. If it gets voted in, I'll get an opportunity to give it a fair go.

keele864
08-28-2008, 05:47 PM
EDIT: I just realised that I've only read it at college for study purposes, which probably coloured my opinion of it that particular shade of unfair. If it gets voted in, I'll get an opportunity to give it a fair go.

It's so hard to find assigned reading fun. As for the stoppy-starty quality... well, Chandler wasn't the best plotter. The Big Sleep, for example, is great, but while lots of things happen, the plot is kind of incoherent. Chandler used to "cannibalize" his short stories to create scenes for his novels, and sometimes it shows. But I think The Long Goodbye is really good.

Matchstick
08-28-2008, 07:25 PM
The Long Goodbye because a TON of people have told me to read it, and If On Winter's Night a Traveler because it's my favorite book.

You're on the road to being my favorite person ever.

ravinoff
08-28-2008, 08:10 PM
I haven't read If On Winter's Night a Traveler but I've read Calvino's Invisible Cities and two books of his short stories and they were all fantastic so he gets my vote.

Edit: Cloud Atlas would have gotten a vote if I hadn't read it fairly recently. Count of Monte Cristo would if for both a) I hadn't read it a year or two ago and b) it wasn't around 1100 pages long. Both good books though.

Eusis
09-02-2008, 11:52 PM
I guess a lot less people are interested this time. Did people just lose interest in the idea period after the first one?

Pombar
09-03-2008, 01:12 AM
The first one became sorta hard to follow at times, but then I only found a copy quite late into it. Or maybe people just aren't into the books listed? I assume popularity will wax and wane on these things.

Lumber Baron
09-03-2008, 01:16 AM
I gave up on "If on Winter's Night a Traveler" after the first sentence, but I might be willing to give it another shot!

The Dread Cthulhu
09-03-2008, 01:18 AM
Picked one by mistake, A Game of Thrones. I've had it for ages, I just haven't managed to struggle through the first bit yet. If I had picked two, I would have gone for Monte Cristo.