PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Brickroad prescribes video LPs!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Brickroad
08-29-2008, 08:05 PM
I've been playing around with some video Let's Plays recently. They get made a lot quicker than the standard screenshot kind, so I don't want to make a new thread for each one; I'll just stick them all here. You can see all of them (plus some other random stuff) at my Youtube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/brickroadbrickroad).

I've split the long ones into playlists, so just cue up the first video in the playlist and you should be able to watch the entire thing in one sitting.

(I used to maintain a list of my LPs in this post, for some embarrassingly broad definition of "maintain", but I kept forgetting to update it. Instead, visit the playlist page (http://www.youtube.com/user/brickroadbrickroad/videos?view=1) of my YouTube channel.)

I blame eirikr for this madness; his stupid Ring Man (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc93Pdn5Dvw) challenge is what prompted me to get the recording rig set up, and from there it wasn't a great leap of logic to plug in a microphone.

If you know some cats what might like this stuff, please spread them around! I like comments!

Eirikr
08-29-2008, 08:40 PM
I just watched the Rescue Rangers one, it was terrific!

I really like this format and it's probably something I would do if my own computer wasn't so shitty. Metroid seems like it would be a good choice...

Though, you should put your money where your mouth is and do Super Metroid at some point. You could probably easily do a 1:30 run, leaving some room for error because of the speed.

Phat
08-29-2008, 08:47 PM
If I were to do a Let's Play, it would be in this format.

I'm actually on the list for Half-Life. I should do one where I see how far I can get in the game without dying.

It will be entertaining because I will scream like a girl every time I see anything remotely hostile.

fanboymaster
08-29-2008, 08:50 PM
We're Doctor Brickroad's Lonely Hearts Club Band, we hope you will enjoy the show. Doctor Brickroad's Lonely Hearts Club Band, sit back and let the evening go.

Sorry, I didn't have anything to actually say. Just felt like posting and that's what came to mind, glad to see more VLPs though.

SlimJimm
08-29-2008, 09:06 PM
I liked watching the Mega Man ones even if they only show me how terrible I am at that game. Good job on these and I hope you plan on doing more of them again.

Balrog
08-29-2008, 09:25 PM
I really liked the Mega Man 3 and the Chip and Dales ones, I haven't gotten around to watching the Crystalis one. May I suggest Ducktales or Little Nemo for the next one?

mr_bungle700
08-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Brick, these are amazing.

I typed this post at 150% speed in your honor.

McClain
08-29-2008, 10:03 PM
I dig. But I miss the interactive nature of let's play ... Perhaps a method where you have the normal thread, but your posts are just the youtube links, but we can still chatter between updates and give you advice/orders :).

Still, very well done.

Coinspinner
08-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Nice work on Rescue Rangers. Video seems to work better for action games and platformers, can't really imagine a screenshot LP for those.

Also, I love Crystalis. I've never beaten it because I always ended up overwriting my save somewhere near the end. So I guess I finally get to see the last segments. Thanks, haha.

Brickroad
08-29-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm glad you guys are digging on these. I'll field some questions now...

Though, you should put your money where your mouth is and do Super Metroid at some point. You could probably easily do a 1:30 run, leaving some room for error because of the speed.

Brother I could do a 1:30 Super Metroid run standing on my head in a pool of Jell-O. Might be tricky at super-speed, though... zSNES doesn't let you set the speed by percentage, only by dicking with the frameskip option, and my tests with ActRaiser ended pretty pathetically.

It's not like the internet needs another Super Metroid video, but yeah, I guess I have talked myself up on that particular game.

I really liked the Mega Man 3 and the Chip and Dales ones, I haven't gotten around to watching the Crystalis one. May I suggest Ducktales or Little Nemo for the next one?

You may indeed, I'm always open to suggestions, but keep in mind these super-speed videos are for games I've been demolishing since childhood. I've played Rescue Rangers probably 500 times, and Duck Tales maybe three or four times.

To put things into perspective, I totally tore up MM3 but when I tried MM4 I simply could not pull it out. The mad skills have a limit. =(

I dig. But I miss the interactive nature of let's play ... Perhaps a method where you have the normal thread, but your posts are just the youtube links, but we can still chatter between updates and give you advice/orders :).

Hmm... nature of the beast I'm afraid. I'll see if I can think of something that would work along these lines. The thing is the videos have to be recorded in ten minute blocks, and obviously I play for longer than ten minutes at a time. So one play session is usually good for four or five updates. Got anything in mind that might lend itself well to viewer participation? Anything interactive would have to be done through Youtube comments; I'm a little skittish about ever linking back to Talking Time from Youtube, as you all probably understand. =)

estragon
08-29-2008, 11:24 PM
Those were freaking awesome.

Could you go back and do the Rescue Rangers levels you skipped in a Rescue Rangers 150% Gaiden or something?

My completionist impulses want to see those stages.

Kishi
08-30-2008, 12:19 AM
From Crystalis part three:

Have you guys ever heard a Let's Play host cry during their video? That's something I have yet to experience. Maybe you guys know; if you know of one, let me know! I'd like to watch that. That'd be very interesting to watch, I believe.

Oh, it is (http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=3683950186308633978).

ringworm
08-30-2008, 12:23 AM
I watched the first hour of the Crystalis ones. I honestly have no idea how you were able to keep it interesting even while doing nothing.

Eirikr
08-30-2008, 12:26 AM
Brother I could do a 1:30 Super Metroid run standing on my head in a pool of Jell-O. Might be tricky at super-speed, though... zSNES doesn't let you set the speed by percentage, only by dicking with the frameskip option, and my tests with ActRaiser ended pretty pathetically.

It's not like the internet needs another Super Metroid video, but yeah, I guess I have talked myself up on that particular game.

That's what I mean, twice speed. I was once able to do a 1:15 game, and those particular runs are a dime a dozen online. But, if it's not technically feasible, the internet will just have to cry and man up.

Kishi
08-30-2008, 12:32 AM
I'd watch a Super Metroid run just for the commentary. How does Brick feel about that quivering mound of fish eggs before the Plasma Beam room? Does he take kindly to Etecoons? These are the questions I want answered.

Gredlen
08-30-2008, 01:26 AM
Have you guys ever heard a Let's Play host cry during their video? That's something I have yet to experience. Maybe you guys know; if you know of one, let me know! I'd like to watch that. That'd be very interesting to watch, I believe.

I feel like the Sonic 2006 LP was this close to coming to tears. That's sort of what happens when you get a bunch of guys together, determined to finish an awful game in one sitting. It was the 20-hour trainwreck that kept on giving.

McClain
08-30-2008, 02:01 AM
I'm a little over half-way through the Mega Man series, and I'm freaking loving it. Good work.

I guess if it's more of a "master class" kind of thing, this is a good way to do it. Really works well for action games like this, where there aren't a lot of options anyhow. Anything we could help guide is probably slow paced enough to do a normal LP. Just let us know when you start another series so we can follow it from the start!

mr_bungle700
08-30-2008, 03:44 AM

I just wanted to make people happy...

I just wanted to make people happy...

That poor bastard.

Brickroad
08-30-2008, 03:47 AM

Fantastic.

Gredlen
08-30-2008, 06:59 AM
What encoding program/codecs have you been using?
Really, there's only so much you can do as long as you're using Youtube. You could always try other fine video hosts. Like Viddler (http://www.viddler.com/explore/Gredlen/videos/5/?secreturl=41091616)!
Also: Viddler doesn't limit videos to 10 minutes. I'm not sure what the limit is, but I'm pretty sure I've seen at least 30-40 minute videos before.

PapillonReel
08-30-2008, 10:59 AM
One question: do you want me to link to them in the archive with the others, or keep them in a separate list/thread (maybe here?)? Great work, by the way.

Mazian
08-30-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm playing around with lots of different video and audio codecs trying to get the quality to look right... the raw avi files DO look fantastic, but they get mangled all to hell when I put them on Youtube, not sure what I can do about it.
Though I know absolutely nothing else about it, Daily Motion (http://www.dailymotion.com/us) appears to have more suitable video quality. Home of the video segments of one of my favorite LPs, La Pucelle: Tactics (http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/LaPucelle/).

Destil
08-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Hey Brick, awesome let's play.

One tip, though, in Crystalis you don't need to charge Crystalis or use the warrior ring, once you're in the final boss room every swing throws out that big energy blast.

Rai
08-30-2008, 02:59 PM

See also: La-Mulana Hell Temple. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q71G4WNaYdw)

The whole thing is fun to watch, but Deceased Crab descends into madness in Hell Temple. If one were to stare into Cthulhu's face without some sort of dimensional barrier, I imagine that's the sort of madness they'd face.

Kishi
08-30-2008, 03:04 PM
The video quality is just fine as long as you click "Watch in high quality."

Brickroad
08-30-2008, 04:47 PM
One question: do you want me to link to them in the archive with the others, or keep them in a separate list/thread (maybe here?)? Great work, by the way.

Maybe just a link to this topic that says "Brickroad's ridiculous video stuff"? If other people start making VLPs you could just add a section for them or... I dunno. Follow your heart.

What encoding program/codecs have you been using?

I settled on ffdshow for video and MP3 for audio, which makes for nice compact .avi files for my personal archives.

Really, there's only so much you can do as long as you're using Youtube. You could always try other fine video hosts. Like Viddler (http://www.viddler.com/explore/Gredlen/videos/5/?secreturl=41091616)!
Also: Viddler doesn't limit videos to 10 minutes. I'm not sure what the limit is, but I'm pretty sure I've seen at least 30-40 minute videos before.

I kind of like having them all in one place and, honestly, the ten-minute chunks are fine. Personally, sitting down to watch a 30-40 minute video is a daunting commitment, but if it's several ten minute videos I know I can walk away at any time and find my place later.

See also: La-Mulana Hell Temple. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q71G4WNaYdw)

The whole thing is fun to watch, but Deceased Crab descends into madness in Hell Temple. If one were to stare into Cthulhu's face without some sort of dimensional barrier, I imagine that's the sort of madness they'd face.

I've watched that! All 80-some videos of it! Then the crazy bastard went and played it AGAIN like a year later for some god forsaken reason. La Mulana looks like a cool game, but boy howdy I'm glad I never have to play it.

poetfox
08-30-2008, 11:45 PM
Hey Brick! The boyfriend and I wanted to say your videos are awesome! We also decided that though we enjoyed your most recent Crystalis series muchly, we considered the more scripted humor of the Mega Man 3 Let's Play to be an overall stronger entertainment experience. Just in case you wanted that kind of input. We'll keep watching whatever you do next however you do it, I'm sure. Keep being awesome, dammit!

Brickroad
08-31-2008, 12:19 AM
Hey Brick! The boyfriend and I wanted to say your videos are awesome! We also decided that though we enjoyed your most recent Crystalis series muchly, we considered the more scripted humor of the Mega Man 3 Let's Play to be an overall stronger entertainment experience. Just in case you wanted that kind of input. We'll keep watching whatever you do next however you do it, I'm sure. Keep being awesome, dammit!

Thanks for the input, I'll definitely keep it in mind.

I think both have their strengths and I'm learning what they are; scripted narration is better for games I know inside and out (so I can really point out everything cool in the game), but live narration is better for games I'm playing for the first time or the first time in years so we get all that "crap I'm lost" "how do I beat this fucker" "AARGH THIS GAME MAKES ME WANT TO DIE" flavor.

Gredlen
08-31-2008, 02:46 AM
live narration is better for games I'm playing for the first time or the first time in years so we get all that "crap I'm lost" "how do I beat this fucker" "AARGH THIS GAME MAKES ME WANT TO DIE" flavor.

I'm tempted to try something like this for Rondo of Blood sometime.

mr_bungle700
08-31-2008, 04:20 AM
I've been thinking of trying it with Shoot the Bullet. The video would be called "Let's Fail: Mr. Bungle Bungles Up Shoot the Bullet." The whole thing would be me yelling various permutations of "F**k!" every five seconds.

Balrog
08-31-2008, 04:27 AM
I've been thinking of trying it with Shoot the Bullet. The video would be called "Let's Fail: Mr. Bungle Bungles Up Shoot the Bullet." The whole thing would be me yelling various permutations of "F**k!" every five seconds.
I think an O'Reilly/Shoot the Bullet mashup would be fantastic.

SlimJimm
08-31-2008, 03:10 PM
I know it would be practically impossible, but wouldnt it be neat if there was a way for you to play a game live and have a bunch of us watching and commenting live on something like skype or some other program? We could cheer you on through a boss, laugh at you as you fall into bottomless pits, or talk about how much the spread gun rules.

Elfir
08-31-2008, 03:31 PM
I know it would be practically impossible, but wouldnt it be neat if there was a way for you to play a game live and have a bunch of us watching and commenting live on something like skype or some other program? We could cheer you on through a boss, laugh at you as you fall into bottomless pits, or talk about how much the spread gun rules.

I know there was something like that a while ago, linked from Penny Arcade, where these three guys played every Mario game in order without break for a weekend. With guest appearances by one guy's wife, the dog, and the baby. There was a chatroom the guys kept tabs on and responded to questions/requests. (Baby in Mario hat being the primary request I saw...)

blinkpen
08-31-2008, 04:04 PM
There was this guy from my WoW server a few days ago playing the Wrath of the Lich King beta live while people could talk in chat. It was also broadcasting our vent server so myself and some other people could talk live over it. I can't remember what the site was though.

Gredlen
08-31-2008, 05:19 PM

It's totally possible to do this via ustream and... some other similar site that I've forgotten the name of. A bunch of guys on Something Awful played through Resident Evil 4 this way and I thought it was pretty cool. This is yet another idea I've been toying around with, but I haven't bothered looking into the logistics of it, since I still haven't done SaGa Frontier II yet.

Phat
08-31-2008, 06:03 PM
I think webcam + teamspeak/ventrilo (for which we already have servers that we never use) would work just fine.

I mean, I don't see why they wouldn't.

Ben1842
08-31-2008, 06:10 PM
I don't understand why you play at 150% speed. Couldn't you just play at regular speed and then speed the video up to 150% after the fact? Assuming you do the audio after you record.

Good stuff Brick. I only got to check out the first part of Mega Man 3 but I'll be back for more when I have some more free time. :)

Ben1842
08-31-2008, 06:13 PM
It's totally possible to do this via ustream and... some other similar site that I've forgotten the name of.

Stickam (http://www.stickam.com/)?

Little Sampson
08-31-2008, 06:20 PM
I don't understand why you play at 150% speed. Couldn't you just play at regular speed and then speed the video up to 150% after the fact?

Brickroad loves to show off.

He makes good videos though.

Elfir
08-31-2008, 06:24 PM
I don't understand why you play at 150% speed. Couldn't you just play at regular speed and then speed the video up to 150% after the fact? Assuming you do the audio after you record.

I'd do it at 50% speed and speed up the video to 150% and never admit to it. But I suck at those kinds of games and would still die an unbelievable amount.

Brickroad
08-31-2008, 07:30 PM

I did the MM3 audio after the fact, Crystalis audio live. I COULD do it this way, sure, and actually I'm surprised I haven't been trolled yet by someone accusing me of "cheating". There's no practical way I can prove I played the games at super-speed except my word.

This would be how I would do a Super Metroid run. LIVE STUDIO AUDIENCE. Fuck yeah. Someone work the logistics of this out and then PM me or something and I'll make it happen.

Gredlen
08-31-2008, 08:18 PM
This would be how I would do a Super Metroid run. LIVE STUDIO AUDIENCE. Fuck yeah. Someone work the logistics of this out and then PM me or something and I'll make it happen.

I'll get on this right now.

Phat
08-31-2008, 09:51 PM
Oh my dogg sign me the heck up for that.

SlimJimm
08-31-2008, 10:51 PM
LIVE STUDIO AUDIENCE. Fuck yeah.

This is exactly what I wanted. I dont just want to heckle Brickroad through postings late at night about terrible people I want in his Suikoden party. I want to heckle him in real-time with terrible people I want in his Suikoden party.

Kishi
08-31-2008, 10:57 PM
If we'd done this for Crystalis, he never would have forgotten the Psycho Shield or walked into that swamp without the gas mask on.

IT'S ON US NOW, GUYS

Thinaran
09-01-2008, 04:08 AM
Backloggery.com sometimes has a live play of a game with a chat room attached.

Brickroad
09-05-2008, 02:51 PM
From some other topic...

I still think that Brick's video LPs were better when the narration was overdubbed after the fact. It takes longer, but your golden sense of humo(u)r has a better chance to shine with that extra polish and effort. And anyway, you're cranking out so many of them at this rate that I can't keep up with the watching, so slowing down on the output wouldn't be a problem for your adoring fans.

I'm still playing around with lots of different styles. The overdubbed narration was good for something like MM3 @150%, but it wouldn't work in a game I don't know that well, or even a game that short. I wouldn't have been able to script enough material to completely fill all Crystalis videos, for example. I was already stretching to fill time in some of those Doc Robot stages, and keep in mind each stage would have been 1.5x longer if I were playing at regular speed.

Scripted narration also loses that "real time" effect. I tried to do this in a few MM3 videos; my script actually says "dejected sigh" or "act surprised!" at a few lines, it takes a lot of work to get the timing exactly right, and it doesn't even sound authentic.

I'll probably go back to that style if I ever pick up a game I know perfectly (I don't lay that claim to Crystalis, obviously) and want to spend more time talking about the game than about my current experience playing it. (I've got a few in mind. Anyone know how I might get Cave Story to run at 150% speed? =))

As for cranking them out, well, that's only natural. If I sit down to play for an hour, that's five videos right there. I do most of my recording on Friday and Saturday nights in blocks of several hours. I've been limiting the amount I'm uploading in one day though.

When I first got into watching VLPs I was astounded at how, say, DeceasedCrab can manage to put something up every single day. Now I know: you spend a day or two playing a game, then a week or two uploading the videos for it.

Gredlen
09-05-2008, 03:01 PM
BRICKROAD STOP KILLING EVERY ENEMY IN SHANTAE ESPECIALLY THE ONES THAT TAKE 10 HITS ARGH

Brickroad
09-05-2008, 03:06 PM
BRICKROAD STOP KILLING EVERY ENEMY IN SHANTAE ESPECIALLY THE ONES THAT TAKE 10 HITS ARGH

I don't even think about this when I'm playing. It's just my natural gamer instinct to kill everything.

Gredlen
09-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Also: I'm pretty sure the enemies get stronger when it's night. And it looked like you could use monkey form to get that warp squid you missed by jumping out, turning around, and grabbing onto the wall on your left.

Brickroad
09-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Also: I'm pretty sure the enemies get stronger when it's night.

They do. An NPC I talk to in one of the videos says as much.

And it looked like you could use monkey form to get that warp squid you missed by jumping out, turning around, and grabbing onto the wall on your left.

You mean the one in Dribble Fountain? Nope, not possible. I go in to get it in a later video, with a new power. So my initial Metroid Sense was correct.

Red Hedgehog
09-05-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm tempted to do a Ninja Gaiden one life video, but

1) I'm not sure what my narration could add that I didn't already say in my pictures (http://www.cs.utah.edu/~goldberg/ngonelife/)

2) I have no idea what technology is required to do it.

Octopus Prime
09-05-2008, 04:22 PM
And it looked like you could use monkey form to get that warp squid you missed by jumping out, turning around, and grabbing onto the wall on your left.

You know how in bad sitcoms a character playing a video game will say something like this, and you cringe because it just sounds so stupid?

I've got that happening right now.

Gredlen
09-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Oh man, 50 more points and I'll beat level three! *beep beep boop*

Kishi
09-05-2008, 04:32 PM
By the way, Brick, I finished watching Crystalis a few nights ago. It was tres excellent.

*beep beep boop*

As you hold a PSP.

MCBanjoMike
09-05-2008, 04:43 PM
I don't even think about this when I'm playing. It's just my natural gamer instinct to kill everything.

Aren't you the guy who can speedrun Super Metroid in an hour?

Jeanie
09-05-2008, 04:48 PM
I have nothing to add other than every time I see this thread's title, I read it as "Dr. Horrible prescribes video LPs".

Brickroad
09-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Aren't you the guy who can speedrun Super Metroid in an hour?

My intense knowledge of Super Metroid overrides my gamer instinct to kill everything.

Brickroad is horrible.

=(

Sanagi
09-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Watching the MM3 run made me want to do one for my backwards run of MM2(worst possible stage order). But I'd really need a video capture card. Or a decent USB controller, I suppose.

Alixsar
09-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Watching the MM3 run made me want to do one for my backwards run of MM2(worst possible stage order). But I'd really need a video capture card. Or a decent USB controller, I suppose.

Yeah, how the hell do you get these things to work anyway Brick? Because if I can figure out how to get a video working, then a video LP of Starfox 64 is a guarantee. But I don't know anything about video capturing and stuff, so...yeah...

spineshark
09-05-2008, 11:20 PM
I've actually been contemplating trying to beat PCB, IN, or MoF on Hard and then recording a commentary for it once I was actually successful, but I wasn't sure anyone would want to actually watch it. (That's one of the reasons for Hard though, as opposed to Normal which really isn't a big deal by comparison) I'd need to work out things like actually recording the audio...and video. Somehow that doesn't seem like the biggest obstacle though =/

Although I'm not really that far from being able to beat PCB on Hard. Pretty sure I made it to Yuyuko once! Just need more practice after stage 3, like always.

Brickroad
09-06-2008, 01:33 AM
Yeah, how the hell do you get these things to work anyway Brick? Because if I can figure out how to get a video working, then a video LP of Starfox 64 is a guarantee. But I don't know anything about video capturing and stuff, so...yeah...

I use video capturing software called Camtasia, which comes with a 30-day trial you can stretch out indefinitely if you don't mind rolling your calendar back.

Google that up and play around with it some, it's pretty easy to use. It does take some fidgeting to get exactly right, but everyone's going to have different issues, so let us know what you end up having trouble with.

Gredlen
09-06-2008, 02:24 AM
Google that up and play around with it some, it's pretty easy to use. It does take some fidgeting to get exactly right, but everyone's going to have different issues, so let us know what you end up having trouble with.

Shameless self-advertisement (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=4443).

Maybe I should start editing my OP in that thread with some useful information. Possibly even tutorials!

Brickroad
09-07-2008, 02:19 AM
Okay, I polished up Shantae today. This game was a really, really poor choice! I hadn't played it in years and should have re-familiarized myself with it before LPing it. I ended up only remembering about 2% of the total game and so it came out looking like I'm a total Shantae newb.

Anyway I'm updating it three videos per day until it's done. It's at twenty-something now. Because it's so damn long and many of the videos don't accomplish much, I've built two playlists:

Let's play Shantae! (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=41D0DFF62BCAFA50) is the full playlist, which will eventually have 59 (!!) videos in it.

Let's play Shantae! (Platinum Edition) (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=DCC90498D7F86E60) excises all of the padding and running around, and just contains videos where actual progress is made.

So if you just want to see the game played, watch the second playlist. If you're dying to laugh at all my stupid mistakes and other assorted idiocy, the first is there for you.

One day I may do this game at 150% speed, but I'm going to have to devote some time to learning it first. And, uh, find a GBC emulator that 1) will run it and 2) can be sped up.

mr_bungle700
09-07-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm going all the way. I've watched the first 24 and I'm not stopping now. Plus, I admire your tenacity in putting together 59 freaking videos for one LP. Truly, you are a road of bricks.

I must say, though, that I prefer watching you play a game you're more familiar with. I don't really know Shantae but I'm still yelling at you constantly through each video because I can't stand watching someone figure out a game.

And yet I'm still entertained somehow!

Kishi
09-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Plus, I admire your tenacity in putting together 59 freaking videos for one LP.

I don't really know Shantae but I'm still yelling at you constantly through each video because I can't stand watching someone figure out a game. And yet I'm still entertained somehow!

If you finish Shantae and find yourself wanting more, I strongly recommend this man (http://www.youtube.com/profile_play_list?user=OverTheGun) "How to Successfully Fail" series -- particularly Resident Evil 4 (which runs a delightfully ludicrous 99 videos).

Makkara
09-07-2008, 10:54 AM
I must say, though, that I prefer watching you play a game you're more familiar with. I don't really know Shantae but I'm still yelling at you constantly through each video because I can't stand watching someone figure out a game.

Yeah, I felt the same way. It was fun, but it was also frustrating to see ol' Bricky bumble about without being able to tell him where to go next. I watched all 21 videos that were available at the time, and decided to just play the rest myself. I did so with far fewer deaths, too, I'll have you know!

I'll probably watch the rest of the videos later. It'll be interesting to see how different the experience will be now that I'm familiar with the game.

mr_bungle700
09-07-2008, 12:48 PM
If you finish Shantae and find yourself wanting more, I strongly recommend this man (http://www.youtube.com/profile_play_list?user=OverTheGun) "How to Successfully Fail" series -- particularly Resident Evil 4 (which runs a delightfully ludicrous 99 videos).

My first reaction was 99 VIDEOS OH GOD NO, but this guy is hilarious.

Brickroad
09-07-2008, 12:53 PM
I sat through all of Deceased Crab's 80-some La Mulana videos. The second half of those are pretty much just him sobbing as he's making his way through Hell Temple.

Then the crazy bastard went back and LPed it AGAIN later (only 50-some this time though).

I'm having a real hard time thinking of a game I know well enough to LP but would still stretch out to 50 videos. But then, I guess I don't know that many long games very well since I tend to not replay long games. Maybe Suikoden 1/2 would take 50 videos.

shivam
09-07-2008, 12:57 PM
huh. i should do a video LP for civilization =)

Brickroad
09-07-2008, 01:25 PM
huh. i should do a video LP for civilization =)

Too late. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cGsw1qaT5Y)

PapillonReel
09-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Too late. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cGsw1qaT5Y)

Doesn't mean that Shivam can't do one, too. The game can change dramatically from playthrough-to-playthrough, if I remember correctly.

Brickroad
09-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Doesn't mean that Shivam can't do one, too. The game can change dramatically from playthrough-to-playthrough, if I remember correctly.

Of course, I just read a "nobody is crazy enough to actually do a Civilization LP!" undertone into shivam's comment, when in reality the truth is there is ALWAYS someone crazy enough to do an LP of any game you can think of.

There's a video LP of Desert Bus floating around somewheres-like.

Kishi
09-07-2008, 01:41 PM
I have no idea how this actually works (http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/Desert%20Bus/), and I don't care to find out.

It looks like they made four substantial attempts, but never actually completed the eight-hour run you need to accrue one point.

PapillonReel
09-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Of course, I just read a "nobody is crazy enough to actually do a Civilization LP!" undertone into shivam's comment, when in reality the truth is there is ALWAYS someone crazy enough to do an LP of any game you can think of.

Oh. Oh! I see now. Well, just ignore me then. :P

Knight
09-07-2008, 02:43 PM
I've been enjoying the video LPs, but it is a bit frustrating to watch you stumble through Shantae without being able to offer some help, I had that color/magnet bit with the key boxes in the Golem Mine figured out fairly early on, and I wanted to help! But I'll still keep watching them all, because your commentary is entertaining, even when you're just wandering around.

Brickroad
09-07-2008, 03:04 PM
My next one is going to be an NES game at 150% speed, with scripted commentary. I just... haven't figured out what game yet.

GOTTA GIVE THE FANS WHAT THEY WANT.

Thanks for watching everyone.

PapillonReel
09-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, maybe?

Pombar
09-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Bucky O'Hare! ...or not!

Thinaran
09-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, maybe?
Swimming through electrified weeds and fighting jetpack ninja in 150 %? OH GOD NO

Brickroad
09-07-2008, 03:21 PM
I've never beaten TMNT, and no has any other mere mortal.

I have beaten Bucky O'Hare but I have to continue 12,000 times.

Kirin
09-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Just popping in to say I finally got around to watching your first two efforts (I think; MM3 and RR anyway) and they were pretty awesome. Good work! 150% definitely helps cut down on the potential tedium.

I'm not sure I'm gonna find time to watch things that are much more than a dozen videos, though... especially given the scary backlog of TAS videos I've already downloaded and been meaning to watch.

Makkara
09-08-2008, 09:47 AM
It'll be interesting to see how different the experience [of watching Brickroad suck at Shantae] will be now that I'm familiar with the game.

As it turns out, it's much better! Now that I know where everything is, I'm not impatient to see new things anymore. Instead, I can just sit back and enjoy the failure. I will admit that Brick figured out that he had to zap the antenna-bot much quicker than me, though.

SlimJimm
09-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Hey Brick, after playing Bionic Commando Rearmed (on Hard no less!) maybe you should go and play the original.

Brickroad
09-08-2008, 11:36 AM
As it turns out, it's much better! Now that I know where everything is, I'm not impatient to see new things anymore. Instead, I can just sit back and enjoy the failure. I will admit that Brick figured out that he had to zap the antenna-bot much quicker than me, though.

Believe it or not it really is harder to play a game while narrating at the same time. I did this in Crystalis too, where I would be halfway through a complete thought before I realized I was an inch away from death because I was killing unnecessary enemies for gold I didn't really need.

Hey Brick, after playing Bionic Commando Rearmed (on Hard no less!) maybe you should go and play the original.

I didn't actually beat BC:R on Hard, because I am not manly enough to kill the helicopter boss. =(

Makkara
09-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Believe it or not it really is harder to play a game while narrating at the same time. I did this in Crystalis too, where I would be halfway through a complete thought before I realized I was an inch away from death because I was killing unnecessary enemies for gold I didn't really need.

I do believe it. I usually have the same problem when I'm trying to hold a conversation while playing. I hope you don't take what I say as criticism - when I say you suck, I mean it in the most positive (non-sexual) sense of the word.

Brickroad
09-08-2008, 12:06 PM
I don't mind the criticism, I welcome it! I agree with most of the criticisms of the Shantae LP so far, but I feel I learned a lot of things from it I wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

Thinaran
09-08-2008, 12:23 PM
I didn't actually beat BC:R on Hard, because I am not manly enough to kill the helicopter boss. =(
Bring a friend, that way you don't need to restart the fight when you die.

Brickroad
09-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Bring a friend, that way you don't need to restart the fight when you die.

If only it had online co-op.

If only...

MCBanjoMike
09-08-2008, 12:26 PM
If only it had online co-op.

If only...

Seriously, I would pay them more money for a patch that enabled online co-op. Are you listening, Grin?

Red Hedgehog
09-08-2008, 03:03 PM
I've never beaten TMNT, and no has any other mere mortal.

Pfft, TMNT isn't so bad.

(I really and truly believe this. But then I guess I'm in that "no mere mortal" category).

Brickroad
09-08-2008, 03:05 PM
(I really and truly believe this. But then I guess I'm in that "no mere mortal" category).

Didn't you one-life Kid Icarus back during the forum's formative years?

Thinaran
09-08-2008, 03:14 PM
I beat TMNT on Commodore 64 using a really crappy joystick!

Falselogic
09-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Why would you want to beat TMNT? it's terrible...

blinkpen
09-09-2008, 07:38 PM

This. I went half insane watching you fight that first Phantoon boss and fail to recognize that you should try to hit the eye when it rotates to the side.

Sanagi
09-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Pfft, TMNT isn't so bad.

I've beaten it. It is that bad.

Makkara
09-10-2008, 12:53 PM
I don't think there was a monkey in the Donkey Kong games.

Dude...

Brickroad
09-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Dude...

I was talking about animal buddies, you nerd. Rambi, Enguarde, Squitter, etc.

Gredlen
09-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Donkeys aren't monkeys. Stop trying to confuse me!

Makkara
09-10-2008, 01:11 PM
I was talking about animal buddies, you nerd. Rambi, Enguarde, Squitter, etc.

Monkeys riding monkeys? That's just perverse!

fanboymaster
09-10-2008, 01:12 PM
I don't mean to be pushy, but, any progress on getting Cave Story to run at 150% speed? I'm really looking forward to it.

Brickroad
09-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Monkeys riding monkeys? That's just perverse!

Don't play DKC2 then! It's a pretty important gameplay mechanic.

I don't mean to be pushy, but, any progress on getting Cave Story to run at 150% speed? I'm really looking forward to it.

I've found a few programs that can alter the speed in games, but so far they either don't work at all, don't work with Cave Story, or won't let me set it to the speed I want.

I've got one I can tweak to any speed at all below 100%, but if I want to go upwards it's either 200% or beyond. And 200% is just craaaazy.

MCBanjoMike
09-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Don't play DKC2 then! It's a pretty important gameplay mechanic.

I've found a few programs that can alter the speed in games, but so far they either don't work at all, don't work with Cave Story, or won't let me set it to the speed I want.

I've got one I can tweak to any speed at all below 100%, but if I want to go upwards it's either 200% or beyond. And 200% is just craaaazy.

I don't mean to question your sanity, but Hell at 150% already sounds damn crazy. Do you really think you can do it?

Brickroad
09-10-2008, 01:29 PM
I don't mean to question your sanity, but Hell at 150% already sounds damn crazy. Do you really think you can do it?

Hell is muscle memory at this point. The hardest part is fighting off angels and avoiding falling bricks in that first corridor. The rest of it is knowing how to GO FAST and where the safe spots are to sit while waiting for the bomb-walls to explode. (And if you bring the Snake, not even that.)

Heavy Press is a matter of knowing what sound effect to listen for so you can dodge its laser. Jumping the buzzsaw things is trivial and the angels don't have time to close in on you between blasts. You have to pay attention to several things at once but it's really not badd.

Two of Ballos's four forms have set patterns they do not deviate from, and the other two are highly susceptible to missiles and don't live long enough to worry much about.

Red Hedgehog
09-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Didn't you one-life Kid Icarus back during the forum's formative years?

Yeah, but Kid Icarus is only difficult until you beat the first fortress. After that, it's cake.

Why would you want to beat TMNT? it's terrible...

TMNT is not terrible! It is merely medicore! I will defend it to my dying day.

Okay, the last level sucks donkey balls. But otherwise, it's not so bad.

Makkara
09-12-2008, 10:48 AM
So Shantae is a pretty damn kickass game. In celebration of that fact, I made this: http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/9933/shantaemonkeydanceva6.gif

Kishi
09-12-2008, 11:34 AM
http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/9933/shantaemonkeydanceva6.gif http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/rocketknight/rkaidlealeft.gif

Brickroad
09-12-2008, 12:10 PM
http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/9933/shantaemonkeydanceva6.gif http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/rocketknight/rkaidlealeft.gif

My office firewall is down for a few hours so, for this one magical moment, I am able to load Kishi's images. It's like the planets came into alignment.

Also I think all of those animated dances are up on shantae.com somewhere. I used her Egyptian belly-dance as my AIM icon for a while.

TheSL
09-12-2008, 12:47 PM
re: The First Wily Fight in MM3

Both the turret on the bottom and the cockpit are weak to hard knuckles. Its easy to hit the cockpit with them too because you can steer them up a little after its left your arm. Hard Knuckle also kills Gamma's tiny head hella faster than Shadow Blade if you don't mind Rush Coil'ing up to the platform.

blinkpen
09-14-2008, 03:27 AM
Question: Is watching the Shantae Let's Play the most frustrating thing in the world for anyone else? I'm practically shouting at the screen in the Golem Mine where Brick is just not getting the color mechanics through his head:

The lightning-blast enemies do NOT shoot you if you're the opposite color, they get flipped helplessly on their back.

The key boxes are attracted to you when you're the opposite color and repelled by you when you're the same, just like a magnet. Your color has absolutely nothing to do with breaking them open.

It's like... painfully obvious, man.

Brickroad
09-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Man inkpen you are gonna give me a complex.

SlimJimm
09-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Question: Is watching the Shantae Let's Play the most frustrating thing in the world for anyone else?

Im always like "watch out for those bullets" and then brick gets hit. Poor Brick. Ill admit, a few of those no progress videos have been hard to watch. ; ;

Egarwaen
09-14-2008, 01:55 PM
I just watched the last couple Mega Man 3 150% LPs. Great job!

Now I want to play that game again.

blinkpen
09-15-2008, 02:39 AM
Man inkpen you are gonna give me a complex.

You know I love you. It hurts me inside when you make me hit you. Now go get daddy a beer.

Makkara
09-15-2008, 03:36 AM
Question: Is watching the Shantae Let's Play the most frustrating thing in the world for anyone else?

Do what I did: play Shantae yourself, then watch the videos. It turns the frustration into amusement. Most of it, anyway.

Brickroad
09-15-2008, 08:11 AM
Maaaan I wanted to do Duck Tales 2, because I like it a lot more than Duck Tales 1 and am way more familiar with it anyway, but it can't be played at 150% speed. Well, the levels can, and it's still super easy, but the boss fights are impossible because the way they flash after being pogo'd causes them to be completely invincible when the game is sped up.

So I don't know if I should just record most the game at 150% but do the boss fights at normal speed, do everything at normal speed, savestate before the bosses and fight them blind then edit out the fights that didn't go my way, or scrap it entirely and look for a different game.

(And yes, everyone should go play Shantae.)

blinkpen
09-15-2008, 08:30 AM
I have no serious attachment to the 150% speed. I'd say play whatever you want and only use the speed increase when applicable.

Also: I want to play Shantae now, but mainly because I'm pretty sure there's a way to beat the robot boss using spider form but there's one FAQ on the ENTIRE INTERNET about Shantae and it doesn't confirm my suspicions.

Brickroad
09-15-2008, 08:39 AM
Also: I want to play Shantae now, but mainly because I'm pretty sure there's a way to beat the robot boss using spider form but there's one FAQ on the ENTIRE INTERNET about Shantae and it doesn't confirm my suspicions.

I'll confirm them for you then: there is.

blinkpen
09-15-2008, 08:49 AM
AH HA!

I am so awesome at that game I have never played!

Kirin
09-15-2008, 09:02 AM
I say go for 150% on the levels and 100% on the bosses and do DuckTales 2. I loved the first game but have never seen the sequel, so I"m excited for it.

Brickroad
10-01-2008, 01:53 PM
By the way guys, the next video LP is starting to go up, hopefully one video per day until it's finished. It's 150% speed with recorded narration.

It's on my Youtube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/brickroadbrickroad).

mr_bungle700
10-01-2008, 02:29 PM
You are a Let's Play machine, sir. I'll get on that right awaOHMYGODITSBIONICCOMMANDO

Animate Nihilist
10-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Need more Bionic Commando LP!

Need!

Destil
10-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Need more Bionic Commando LP!

Need!

shivam
10-10-2008, 01:57 PM
hey brick, i'm watching the MM3 one, and just had a note-- it's pronounced suPERfluous, not super-fluous.

keep up the good work =)

Brickroad
10-10-2008, 01:59 PM
hey brick, i'm watching the MM3 one, and just had a note-- it's pronounced suPERfluous, not super-fluous.

keep up the good work =)

Man I knew that and as soon as I said it I was like "someone is going to call me on that I should re-record that section" but then I was like "stop being a pussy just let it ride also you are lazy" so I just let it slide.

blinkpen
10-11-2008, 12:26 AM
He just doesn't learn (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?p=277395#post277395).

mr_bungle700
10-11-2008, 03:54 AM
You're a loose cannon, Brickroad! That kind of recklessness gets men killed!

SlimJimm
10-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Your badge. My desk. Now.

The mayors gonna have my ass for this.

Octopus Prime
10-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Your badge. My desk. Now.

The mayors gonna have my ass for this.

What about the VICTIMS rights, Jimm?

You ain't got no idea how it is on the STREETS, where people sometimes HAVE to mispronounce words and ignore obscure landmarks! It's the only way they'll survive.

Elfir
10-14-2008, 02:51 AM
*wipes brow* Six episodes of Shantae to go! I love this game so much. I must play it. Even though I'll suck at it.

mr_bungle700
10-14-2008, 04:21 AM
After all those Shantae videos I don't think I'll ever be able to get Brick's voice out of my head.

I actually need daily doses of it now, or else I get all jittery.

Knight
10-14-2008, 10:56 AM
After all those Shantae videos I don't think I'll ever be able to get Brick's voice out of my head.

I actually need daily doses of it now, or else I get all jittery.
Same here, I got spoiled by Shantae and I got used to having my daily dose of video LPs from Dr. Brickroad.

Brickroad
10-14-2008, 11:06 AM
Well you'll have to wait a couple days probably for the last episode of Bionic Commando... and I haven't decided what I'm doing next. The logistics of that Super Metroid thing didn't pan out at all (probably Vista's fault), I don't have a decent capture card to do anything off of a real console (or I could do something like MM9, Eternal Darkness, or some multiplayer Halo 3 or Carcasonne)...

I did some test videos for Nethack but I wasn't happy with them. Crystalis and Shantae prove I obviously can't talk and play games at the same time, and one mistake in Nethack would erase hours of play. Which might be amusing in a black comedy kind of way I guess. Also the game's not visually interesting and it's difficult to see after Youtube compresses the shit out of it. Plus I would have to add background music and my selection isn't very diverse. And if I did win it would run well over 50 videos, and honestly most of it would be really really boring (Nethack Part 33: Brickroad re-organizes his inventory again! Part 41: More sacrificing! Part 59: Three more identical Gehenna floors!)

djSyndrome
10-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Selfish Request: Bonk's Revenge at 150% speed.

Falselogic
10-14-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm for you playing which ever game you enjoy most, I've never played most of your VLP and I've enjoyed them immensely.

I think it's really more about you playing than the game itself...

Animate Nihilist
10-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Persona 3 50% speed.

Brickroad
10-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Persona 3 50% speed.

After the first 674 videos it would just be me saying "I hate ringworm. I hate ringworm. I hate ringworm." in a really course voice over and over again.

SlimJimm
10-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Do you like to do action games or RPGs?

Brickroad
10-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Do you like to do action games or RPGs?

RPGs I will do in screenshot format, and I'm not doing any of those for a long damn time. My next screenshot LP won't be an RPG.

I'd like to do some 150% runs for SNES games (ActRaiser and Disney's Aladdin spring immediately to mind), but zSNES sucks when it comes to speeding games up and I'm not familiar with any other emulators out there. If you know something I don't, please edjumacate me.

SlimJimm
10-14-2008, 11:39 AM
I wasnt going to suggest super speed, but how about Castlevania 4, Contra 3, or Cybernator?

If i was better at those games id give it a try myself, but I like watching you do these videos.

MCBanjoMike
10-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Or I could do Cybernator and then send the videos to Brick so that he could record snarky commentary tracks over my playing.

"Why are you going that way? There's nothing down there! You're just going to...oh, now you've fallen down the hole. Very clever."

Brickroad
10-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Or I could do Cybernator and then send the videos to Brick so that he could record snarky commentary tracks over my playing.

"Why are you going that way? There's nothing down there! You're just going to...oh, now you've fallen down the hole. Very clever."

This would be awesome, especially considering I've never heard of Cybernator or played it or even know what it is at all.

MCBanjoMike
10-14-2008, 12:27 PM
This would be awesome, especially considering I've never heard of Cybernator or played it or even know what it is at all.

Sir, you wound me (http://www.gamespite.net/toastywiki/index.php/Games/Cybernator).

SlimJimm
10-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Then we need Mike's directors commentary afterwards on Brick's comments.

Brickroad
10-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Sir, you wound me (http://www.gamespite.net/toastywiki/index.php/Games/Cybernator).

I read that. It must not have lodged itself in one of the ultra-rare non-Batman/non-porn sections of my brain.

Red Hedgehog
10-14-2008, 12:50 PM
I read that. It must not have lodged itself in one of the ultra-rare non-Batman/non-porn sections of my brain.

Yeah, you're lame.

A video LP of Cybernator would be pretty cool. Especially if it was done without getting the game-breaking Napalm weapon. (Since I've never beaten the game without that weapon).

MCBanjoMike
10-14-2008, 12:51 PM
I'm really excited about the possibilities of experimental LPs (hence the coolness of the 150% run), but I suppose it would work better if you knew the game I was playing as well as me, or even better than me. But if you think you can come up with entertaining commentary for a game that you don't know, I'd be willing to do it.

Yeah, you're lame.

A video LP of Cybernator would be pretty cool. Especially if it was done without getting the game-breaking Napalm weapon. (Since I've never beaten the game without that weapon).

I didn't even know that existed until shortly before writing the article. I have finished the game legitimately, although my odds of making it past the last boss before running out of lives are only around 50% in general. Obviously, having the Napalm gun would improve that by a significant margin.

Brickroad
10-14-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm really excited about the possibilities of experimental LPs (hence the coolness of the 150% run), but I suppose it would work better if you knew the game I was playing as well as me, or even better than me. But if you think you can come up with entertaining commentary for a game that you don't know, I'd be willing to do it.

I think it would alter the flavor of the commentary, but it'd be entertaining either way. Like, if you did some game I know real well I'd be more inclined to make fun of you and point out how badly you suck.

Either way we have crazy dorks in this thread who watched all fifty nine Shantae videos, and those were equal parts me getting lost and me bitching about being lost. These people will watch anything. I think I could probably release a blank black screen with ten minutes of pure silence and get five stars and a snarky comment from bloodyinkpen.

MCBanjoMike
10-14-2008, 01:02 PM
I think it would alter the flavor of the commentary, but it'd be entertaining either way. Like, if you did some game I know real well I'd be more inclined to make fun of you and point out how badly you suck.

Either way we have crazy dorks in this thread who watched all fifty nine Shantae videos, and those were equal parts me getting lost and me bitching about being lost. These people will watch anything. I think I could probably release a blank black screen with ten minutes of pure silence and get five stars and a snarky comment from bloodyinkpen.

Then it's settled. I'll send you part one tonight! Just as soon as I get back from voting...

Red Hedgehog
10-14-2008, 01:06 PM
I didn't even know that existed until shortly before writing the article. I have finished the game legitimately, although my odds of making it past the last boss before running out of lives are only around 50% in general. Obviously, having the Napalm gun would improve that by a significant margin.

That's hard core! I mean, I'm sure I could eventually finish the game without it, but I thought the game was sufficiently difficult even with the Napalm weapon (took me about as long to beat it as a typical Mega Man game does).

Knight
10-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Hey, I minimize the window after about 10 seconds of silence, in the vain hopes that there would be something hidden within. I'm not sure what I'd do after I realized I wasted 10 minutes listening to silence though.

MCBanjoMike
10-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Anyone want to suggest a name for our pilot? 7 letter maximum.

EDIT: Never mind, I'm going to be the hero!

Elfir
10-15-2008, 10:56 AM
There's a part of me that wants to do some kind of Harvest Moon VLP but I know it'd be boring as crap. I mean, I never even finished the first game! (Due to the savegames getting wiped every time I neared the end of the first year.)

I support colorful Disney platformers as VLP subject matter. Shantae proved the need for colorful to me.

Knight
10-15-2008, 11:30 AM
There's a part of me that wants to do some kind of Harvest Moon VLP but I know it'd be boring as crap. I mean, I never even finished the first game! (Due to the savegames getting wiped every time I neared the end of the first year.)

I support colorful Disney platformers as VLP subject matter. Shantae proved the need for colorful to me.
Yea, I don't think Harvest Moon would work as VLP. If you played it like me, episodes 2-6 would be all about spending your first free night clearing your farm's entire field of all the weeds, stumps and rocks.

I've thought about continuing my Boktai LP as a VLP once I get my computer into working condition again. I think seeing it in action would be cooler than in screenshot form, but I'm worried about being able to have interesting or funny commentary.

Elfir
10-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Yea, I don't think Harvest Moon would work as VLP. If you played it like me, episodes 2-6 would be all about spending your first free night clearing your farm's entire field of all the weeds, stumps and rocks

Is there any other way to play? XD Except it'd be one video at x8 speed.

Knight
10-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Is there any other way to play? XD Except it'd be one video at x8 speed.

Haha, super speed, it's so obvious now. But I'm inconstant with clearing the field. Sometimes I do a full clear, other times I just clear what I need to and settle for an unkempt farm. Keeping a stable full of cows is the way to go anyway.

Brickroad
10-15-2008, 05:05 PM
This Cybernator plan is going swimmingly and it's going to be pretty durn awesome.

Elfir
10-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Hooray! I finished the Shantae Let's Play!

If I were your Festivus match, Brickroad, you would be getting a plush squid and a pair of women's boots. With "Risky" written on them in hot-glued rhinestones or something.

Alas, I am not.
or am I??

Savathun
10-17-2008, 02:07 AM
Hooray! I finished the Shantae Let's Play!

If I were your Festivus match, Brickroad, you would be getting a plush squid and a pair of women's boots. With "Risky" written on them in hot-glued rhinestones or something.

Alas, I am not.
or am I??

...I hope you got me for festivus! I'm all about squids and Risky Boots.

Brickroad
10-19-2008, 01:13 AM
Jesus guys.

Before Date Night tonight I put a video on Youtube showing my problems getting SNES games to run at super-speed and asking for help. When I got home I had PMs here, on Youtube, and comments in the video pointing me to an emulator that will solve it.

Long story short: I've already recorded my first super-speed SNES LP and have started my second. So I've got the next couple weeks covered.

Animate Nihilist
10-19-2008, 01:14 AM
Jesus guys.

Before Date Night tonight I put a video on Youtube showing my problems getting SNES games to run at super-speed and asking for help. When I got home I had PMs here, on Youtube, and comments in the video pointing me to an emulator that will solve it.

Long story short: I've already recorded my first super-speed SNES LP and have started my second. So I've got the next couple weeks covered.

God bless you Brickroad.

Elfir
10-19-2008, 03:32 AM
Glee!

I wonder what it could be... :3

Ruik
10-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Hooray!

Adrenaline
10-19-2008, 11:51 PM
The second-to-last Mega Man 3 video is no longer available! OH NOOOO!!!!!!!

Brickroad
10-20-2008, 08:24 AM
I don't know what's up with that. I thought about re-uploading it, but I figure they removed it for a reason, and I wouldn't want a black van showing up at my place some night to whisk me away to wherever bad Youtubers go.

Adrenaline
10-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Could you email me the video or something?

SlimJimm
10-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Good job Mike on the Cybernator videos. Id always die at least once on the Arc Nova level.

I had no idea the missiles home in when upgraded, probably because I never got too many upgrades for it. Once I finished the Vulcan, I usually went with the Laser.

Egarwaen
10-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Good job Mike on the Cybernator videos. Id always die at least once on the Arc Nova level.

I had no idea the missiles home in when upgraded, probably because I never got too many upgrades for it. Once I finished the Vulcan, I usually went with the Laser.

Watching someone play this game properly makes me want to buy it on VC. I've always enjoyed it, but never been quite sure how it was "supposed" to be played - fast and loose or slowly and methodically. Apparently, the right answer is "get as many weapon upgrades as you can, then it doesn't matter." ;)

MCBanjoMike
10-20-2008, 02:32 PM
I hate to disillusion you, Jimm, but the next update will prove that I'm falliable after all. To compensate, though, I had my best-ever run of level 6 right afterwards.

As for which way to play the game, I'm pretty sure that plodding and methodical is the way to go. A prudent player can avoid taking almost all damage with well-timed blocking, but you need to use the terrain to your advantage. It helps to know where the enemies are in advance to avoid activating too many of them at once. I also think that scouring levels for powerups is fairly necessary, since you can't make up for missed power chips very easily. It's theoretically possible to power up all the weapons in one run, although doing so would probably require you to hold off upgrading your missiles or vulcan gun until the cave segment that I don't think Brick has published yet.

Also, I don't know if anyone realizes this, but the bit in Arc Nova where I'm being assailed by giant rockets (I'm pretty sure that they're supposed to be escape pods for the station's crew) is actually an awesome secret shortcut. You get extra risk, but a few extra power chips, if you go that way. You also get to feel way awesome, unless you get reamed by one of the shuttles and die, as I almost did.

I actually skipped a secret powerup area in the level 6 cave, because I couldn't use the powerups and there was a 50% chance that I would fall into a hole and die if I tried to get them. Since I'm trying to avoid cheating, throwing away a continue at that point was inadvisable.

Red Hedgehog
10-20-2008, 03:13 PM
As for which way to play the game, I'm pretty sure that plodding and methodical is the way to go. A prudent player can avoid taking almost all damage with well-timed blocking, but you need to use the terrain to your advantage. It helps to know where the enemies are in advance to avoid activating too many of them at once. I also think that scouring levels for powerups is fairly necessary, since you can't make up for missed power chips very easily. It's theoretically possible to power up all the weapons in one run, although doing so would probably require you to hold off upgrading your missiles or vulcan gun until the cave segment that I don't think Brick has published yet.

It is interesting seeing what you chose to level up (and what order). Since I generally just got the napalm weapon, I never bothered leveling up the missiles and just went with Vulcan Cannon and Punch (I think in that order).

Also, I don't know if anyone realizes this, but the bit in Arc Nova where I'm being assailed by giant rockets (I'm pretty sure that they're supposed to be escape pods for the station's crew) is actually an awesome secret shortcut. You get extra risk, but a few extra power chips, if you go that way. You also get to feel way awesome, unless you get reamed by one of the shuttles and die, as I almost did.

Dude, I always go that way. You get the upgrades and the rockets aren't that hard to avoid. I was actually a little disappointed that you kept getting hit.

MCBanjoMike
10-21-2008, 05:56 AM
It is interesting seeing what you chose to level up (and what order). Since I generally just got the napalm weapon, I never bothered leveling up the missiles and just went with Vulcan Cannon and Punch (I think in that order).

I consider the Napalm gun to be basically cheating, so I usually don't get it. The missiles are very powerful and overall more useful than the punch (if less entertaining), so they're totally worth upgrading in a regular run of the game.

Dude, I always go that way. You get the upgrades and the rockets aren't that hard to avoid. I was actually a little disappointed that you kept getting hit.

Go one-life Ninja Gaiden some more, Mr. Amazing. :p

Brickroad
10-21-2008, 07:53 AM
Go one-life Ninja Gaiden some more, Mr. Amazing. :p

If he records a video of it, I'll narrate.

Red Hedgehog
10-21-2008, 10:50 AM
I consider the Napalm gun to be basically cheating, so I usually don't get it.

I can see that. Though it isn't like the game isn't difficult even with the Napalm. You may have inspired me to try replaying it without that Napalm to see how I can do. I know I made it to level 3 without Napalm the first few times I played...

If he records a video of it, I'll narrate.

I'd love to do this, but don't see a feasible way - I have no way to record video from my television, and I can't imagine I'd be able to one-life it on an emulator, especially because I don't have any sort of game pad. Not to mention I'm on a Mac. I should renew my efforts to one-life Ninja Gaiden II, but it's so much easier to die to a little platforming mistake in that game.

Kishi
10-21-2008, 11:10 AM
I want Brick to comment on a run of Rocket Knight Adventures.

Brickroad
10-21-2008, 01:28 PM
I want Brick to comment on a run of Rocket Knight Adventures.

I've actually played and beaten that, but golly it's been years. I remember it being probably the most fun you can have with a Genesis, easily better than any of the Sonic games. (At least until I learned about Ristar.)

Alixsar
10-22-2008, 12:32 AM
I haven't been able to check TT much recently, so this is a little late. But I just want to say that I think what you are doing, Brick/Mike, are doing is pretty awesome.

MCBanjoMike
10-22-2008, 10:50 AM
I haven't been able to check TT much recently, so this is a little late. But I just want to say that I think what you are doing, Brick/Mike, are doing is pretty awesome.

Aw, thanks Alix. I'm just keen to push the boundaries of the format. I still think it would be better if I'd taken a game that he knew really well, though, so that he could critique what I was doing and offer suggestions other than "I'd be avoiding those lasers if I were you."

Thanks for that idea, though, I'll see if I can apply it during the last level.

Brer
10-23-2008, 10:33 PM
I still think it would be better if I'd taken a game that he knew really well, though, so that he could critique what I was doing and offer suggestions other than "I'd be avoiding those lasers if I were you."

That would be interesting. Where I run into a conflict of preferences is that the two things I like best are A) the player playing very well and throwing out detailed information about the game, trivia, backstory, etc, and B) player's response to seeing particularly neat bits of a game for the first time (like watching someone get to the big plot twist in Bioshock, for example). Unfortunately, I think the two are mutually exclusive.

StriderDL
10-24-2008, 07:46 AM
All this Assault Suits Valken makes me want to play some Assault Suit Leynos, a.k.a. Target Earth for the Sega Genesis.

Anyone know of a good Genesis emulator capable of catching video? I'm not very familiar with the whole process.

StriderDL
10-27-2008, 12:52 PM
I suppose I should mention that I was considering doing a quick LP of this, maybe in the stylings of BrickBanjo (if Mr. Road were so willing to supply his narrative skills again), but God Hand just arrived and I'm finding it to be much too fun. Also, I should be writing a thesis proposal. Ha.

Destil
10-28-2008, 11:31 PM
Brick you rascal, putting up Aladdin without advertising.

... man, now I need to go watch that movie too.

Brickroad
11-04-2008, 09:32 PM
This one's for Kishi. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50j2IZuQSpk)

Kishi
11-04-2008, 09:40 PM
What?

Brickroad
11-04-2008, 09:45 PM
I dedicated a video to you. You should be honored. I don't know why you're confused.

Kishi
11-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Well, thanks. But if you're going to dedicate something to me, I'd prefer it include at least two of the following:

1. Rockets
2. Knights
3. Rocket Knights

Alixsar
11-06-2008, 12:03 AM
I guess this is some sort of hipster irony-type LP or something, but it is so god damn boring to watch this terrible game. I could only make it three minutes before I gave up. Sorry, Brick.

spineshark
11-06-2008, 12:17 AM
That was awesome! I wish I had a PS3 now because of Barnstorming! Screw Valkyria Chronicles!

No seriously, I was lollin'.

When's Activision releasing Barnstorming 2 (and 3), anyway?

Brer
11-06-2008, 01:11 PM
I dedicated a video to you. You should be honored. I don't know why you're confused.

Like I said on Youtube, I'll be terribly disappointed if you dont' go the whole Andy Kaufman/Great Gatsby route now.

Adrenaline
11-07-2008, 10:30 PM
I know they're giant bunny rabbits because they're as tall as a man.

SlimJimm
11-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Big Bumpin

Hurry up and do another series you slacker!

Brickroad
11-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Big Bumpin

Hurry up and do another series you slacker!

Sorry, I took a break from these to make some LBP levels.

I wouldn't want to keep you in suspense, though; the next series is super speed Super Castlevania 4. Videos are done, just awaiting narration, I'll try to get to them over the long weekend coming up.

Also I would totally do Big Bumpin if I could get decent video from my Xbox. Alas, until I get a chunk of cash to drop on a decent capture card, that's not going to happen. =(

Shadax
11-24-2008, 11:01 PM
B..b..b.but Barnstorming is my favorite 2600, I mean, PS3 game

:(

Brickroad
02-21-2009, 10:50 PM
New twelve-part series. Click for awesomeness. (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=8C4BA629FB0983E5)

One video per day until it's all up. Enjoy, guy!

Adrenaline
02-21-2009, 10:57 PM
OH GOD YES

Kishi
02-21-2009, 11:28 PM
Someday, I'll commit every leg of this game to memory and one-life it properly. Until then, I can just watch Brick.

mr_bungle700
02-21-2009, 11:44 PM
Super-speeding the second quest?

Oh Brickroad, you beautiful man.

Kishi
03-04-2009, 04:02 PM
That was awesome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkYpKjq777Y&fmt=18). Good job, Brick! Now please do another, immediately.

PapillonReel
03-04-2009, 04:06 PM
That was awesome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkYpKjq777Y&fmt=18). Good job, Brick! Now please do another, immediately.

Hopefully involving Rockets, Knights, or Rocket Knights.

Knight
03-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Great job Brick! You make it seem so easy.

Ben1842
03-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Hopefully involving Rockets, Knights, or Rocket Knights.

Something to hold you over? (http://www.retrowaretv.com/home/HappyVideoGameNerd/HVGNEpisode8/tabid/204/Default.aspx)

Brickroad
03-04-2009, 04:59 PM
I've picked my next game. It was inspired by Ben! I hope to record it in the next week or so.

Ben1842
03-04-2009, 05:34 PM
I've picked my next game. It was inspired by Ben! I hope to record it in the next week or so.

Does this make me your muse?

Brickroad
03-07-2009, 11:21 PM
New series going up: Bionic Commando for Game Boy (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=99BD1E93FA3A6436). I would have never actually tried this game if not for Ben's glowing VGTO review. Thanks Ben!

The game after this is going to be 8 Eyes. I'll probably be playing it tomorrow. I've never heard of it before so I have absolutely no idea what I'm in for. You can thank the Banjoman for that.

Red Hedgehog
03-08-2009, 12:51 AM
The game after this is going to be 8 Eyes. I'll probably be playing it tomorrow. I've never heard of it before so I have absolutely no idea what I'm in for. You can thank the Banjoman for that.

It has good music!

(But is otherwise a poor Castlevania clone which rips off Mega Man's 8 robot masters idea. You do get a pet bird, though!)

Balrog
03-08-2009, 12:52 AM

Who is playing character 2??????

MCBanjoMike
03-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I picked that one because I had vague memories of what it was like from when I rented it as a kid, but I didn't want to play it myself to find out more. It is pretty cool that player 2 can be the guy's attack bird and fly around wrecking shit, though.

If it sucks too much, remember that there is always an alternative available to you.

Brickroad
03-08-2009, 03:06 PM
I played it and now I'm never speaking to the Banjoman again.

I can either wait two weeks for Bionic Commando to be over before putting it up, or I can alternate days. What do you guys think?

Indalecio
03-08-2009, 03:15 PM
I played it and now I'm never speaking to the Banjoman again.

I can either wait two weeks for Bionic Commando to be over before putting it up, or I can alternate days. What do you guys think?

Alternate. Its been years since I've played 8 Eyes.

McClain
03-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Mr. Brick, you should update your first post from time to time so we can keep up with all of your VLP greatness.

thanks!

Brickroad
03-17-2009, 10:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzgZtZJNXkg

BRICKROAD THAT IS NOT A LETS PLAY

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

MCBanjoMike
03-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Alternate. Its been years since I've played 8 Eyes.

Me too, but I don't remember it being very good. That's why I'm making Brickroad play it for me!

Knight
03-17-2009, 11:10 AM

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
WHY IS IT NOT IN SUPER SPEED

Dart Zaidyer
03-17-2009, 03:09 PM
brickroad, if you're going to be putting yourself in front of a camera, you need to do it right.

Buy some curtains to fix the light in the room, get a folding screen to set up behind you so it blocks out the image of your giant shelf full o' junk, wear a suit and tie, and dust that hat off.

And then edit the video so it runs at 150% speed.

Brickroad
03-17-2009, 03:21 PM
I can't really afford to do any of that stuff! Except I can find something to cover the window with.

Also the hat was totally dust-free until I put it on camera, what the hell.

Kishi
03-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Your two-thousand-yard stare (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousand-yard_stare) is kind of terrifying. Please look into the camera, not at your cue cards!

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/talking/twothousandyardbrick.png

SilentSnake
03-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Huh. I wasn't aware that Brick was a fedora type of a guy.

Thinaran
03-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Well of course he is. On The Internet!

Brer
03-17-2009, 10:39 PM
get a folding screen to set up behind you so it blocks out the image of your giant shelf full o' junk

I don't know, I like seeing people's rooms. It's interesting. For example, the first time I got a good look at at Spoony's bedroom I suddenly knew much more about him as a nerd. For example, a bunch of AD&D sourcebooks that ends with the last printing of 2nd Ed. you something.

Balrog
03-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Brick, your siren's song made me a subscriber.

MCBanjoMike
03-18-2009, 05:57 AM
I just subscribed so I could watch myself play Cybernator. And hey, how are those Rock Band 2 cymbals treating you?

Falselogic
03-19-2009, 01:16 PM
I was already a subscriber. For some reason I thought you were older... Maybe that only reveals my terribly stunted maturity level...

Video Blogs huh? As long as you don't cry in them defending what passes for a celebrity in the United States or turn it into some sort of psuedo sexual confessional manufactured to make yourslef a z-list celebrity. I'm all for it!

Oh, and where are you at with subscribers?

Little Sampson
03-19-2009, 03:30 PM

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

Needs more zombie head.

Gredlen
03-19-2009, 08:46 PM
One of the blogs should just be you zooming in on the zombie head dramatically.

Brickroad
03-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Oh, and where are you at with subscribers?

108. Think I should assign each one of you a Star of Destiny?

I'm curious -- how old did you think I was?

Red Hedgehog
03-19-2009, 10:23 PM
I'm curious -- how old did you think I was?

Until I found out your age, I always thought you were my age. But then that's the way I usually am: If I look up to and highly respect someone they're older than me, if I feel someone is my equal they're the same age as me, and if I don't respect someone they're younger than me.

Falselogic
03-20-2009, 11:19 AM
I thought you were in your early thirties... I think most of that came from how deep and thorough your knowledge of Final Fantasy was... Which in all actuality has no relationship to age whatsoever!

SpoonyBardOL
03-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Very well, I'll subscribe to your shenanigans, Dr. Road. Call me #109.

Pajaro Pete
03-20-2009, 12:04 PM
I thought you were in your early thirties... I think most of that came from how deep and thorough your knowledge of Final Fantasy was... Which in all actuality has no relationship to age whatsoever!

I guess that's why they call you falselogic!

kaisel
03-20-2009, 01:54 PM
I haven't subscribed (not having nor wanting a youtube account) but I have been following your LPs. The Bionic Commando one convinced me to buy the remake, since it reminded me that hey, I have a PS3 and can buy it on PSN.

Brickroad
03-22-2009, 02:21 PM
New series today. This one is all MCBanjoMike's fault: 8 Eyes (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=392D20E78177B025). Fittingly enough, it's eight parts.

Related topic: I hate MCBanjoMike.

Adrenaline
03-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Never make a bet if the outcome is completely in your opponent's hands.

Kishi
03-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Pea-Green Bionic Commando was awesome, by the way.

Balrog
03-22-2009, 07:54 PM
8 Eyes is pretty horrible but it was the only game my friend had for a while. Dude, you need to start using the falcon to attack.

Also, I like the spritework in this game.

Pombar
03-22-2009, 07:57 PM
I'm awful at watching these regularly, so I just watched the Aladdin one with my brother (since we owned a SNES with only 3 games, one of them being Aladdin). The Passwords do serve a purpose! Not so much as a save system but as a "skip ahead to bits you like" (ie, Genie level), and "skip past near-impossible bits" (ie, the lava-carpet-chase-scene)*.

*We first beat Aladdin all the way through without quitting after the lava and using a password about a year ago.

Oh, also, may have been mentioned, but the reason you were having trouble against Jafar's first form when he throws jar-chickens is that you're meant to bounce on the jar-chickens in order to hit him, rather than jumping straight at him (which can succeed, but it's much less reliable, as you discovered).

Brickroad
03-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Oh, also, may have been mentioned, but the reason you were having trouble against Jafar's first form when he throws jar-chickens is that you're meant to bounce on the jar-chickens in order to hit him, rather than jumping straight at him (which can succeed, but it's much less reliable, as you discovered).

I've never, ever had luck doing this. By the time the jar-chickens are low enough to bounce on Jafar will be near the side of the screen, too high up to land on. I usually just dodge that phase.

8 Eyes is pretty horrible but it was the only game my friend had for a while. Dude, you need to start using the falcon to attack.

It only goes downhill from here.

Pombar
03-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Without that stage in the fight, I probably wouldn't be able to beat him... he's certainly harder than the Snake boss.

Knight
03-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Man, that 8 Eye's game looks so bad. I would have chosen to play Little Nemo instead though. How many other games let you feed candy to animals to put them in a diabetic coma, and then you climb inside them and wear their skin as a suit.

DemoWeasel
03-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Holy shit, the zombie head did NOT disappoint, Brick.

Red Hedgehog
03-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Geez Brickroad, don't you read the instruction manual before you play a game? You've got to make better use of Cutrus!

MCBanjoMike
03-26-2009, 09:03 AM
So I've been watching the LP of 8Eye's, and I have to feel that any bad karma I earned by assigning the game to you has been paid in full by the pain that I've suffered in watching you play it. If it makes you feel any better, it was chosen not out of malice, but out of curiosity, since I only played it once and my memories of the game were very vague. Turns out that there's a good reason why I never went back to this game! I'm pretty sure that I actually finished a number of the stages when I rented this with my friend almost 20 years ago. I was playing as Orin, but I think I tried controlling Cutrus and found it to be very difficult.

Anyway, I don't feel too bad inflicting this game on you, since you're obviously a masochist - why else would you choose to play 8Eye's instead of Little Nemo?

Brickroad
03-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Anyway, I don't feel too bad inflicting this game on you, since you're obviously a masochist - why else would you choose to play 8Eye's instead of Little Nemo?

Because if I started an LP but didn't finish it nunix would want me to be banned from ever doing another LP ever again. =(

I might still do Little Nemo at some point. I haven't decided.

Octopus Prime
03-26-2009, 09:33 AM
I just find it uplifting that someone besides myself is playing 8 Eyes. You all know I would have eventually subjected myself to it.

Thank you Brickroad. So hard!

Balrog
03-26-2009, 09:44 AM
8 Eyes is meant to be a co-op experience. You're doing it wrong.

Brickroad
03-26-2009, 09:46 AM
8 Eyes is meant to be a co-op experience. You're doing it wrong.

There is no right way to play 8 Eyes.

Kishi
03-26-2009, 09:52 AM
If 8 Eyes personally baked Brickroad a birthday cake with that frosting he really likes, he would still smack it out of 8 Eyes's hands and slap 8 Eyes across the face.

Kirin
03-27-2009, 07:31 AM
You know, it occurs to me that Little Nemo could make a fun traditional text-and-pics LP.

But I say that knowing that I'm totally biased, because it's easier for me to sneak looks at those in at work than videos.

Pajaro Pete
03-27-2009, 11:24 AM
"What is that? A spray bottle?"
"...oh. Holy Water."

Adrenaline
03-27-2009, 11:49 AM
I'm pretty sure it was a molotov.

Pajaro Pete
03-27-2009, 12:10 PM
In my day, we called 'em FIRE BOMBS.

Also, holy shit this game is set after a nuclear apocalypse. Really?