PDA

View Full Version : So ... The PS3. Does it still suck?

Thinaran
06-05-2007, 05:26 AM
Ok, so I've decided to get a PS3 imported from Canada. The main reason I want it now is the upscaling option that appeared in firmware 1.80, and then specifically for playing games like Odin Sphere and Vagrant Story. And of course DVDs. Most of my DVDs are region 1, and I imagine the same will be the case with blu-ray, because of Norwegian pricing (50 USD for Fantastic Four? No, fuck you!) .

Just waiting for my tax return ...

Oh, and no, there are no PS3 games I'm planning to get until Ratchet & Clank, unless Stranglehold turns out to be not crap. Not holding my breath on that one, though.

BEAT
06-05-2007, 07:30 AM
I'm sure those who own PS3s, much like those who own PSPs have plenty of nice things to say about them.

That said, there's still not enough reason for me to buy either.

TheSL
06-05-2007, 08:10 AM
I'm sure those who own PS3s, much like those who own PSPs have plenty of nice things to say about them.

That said, there's still not enough reason for me to buy either.

Who says nice things about the PSP? I mean, other than about how nice of a homebrew system it is.

djSyndrome
06-05-2007, 08:15 AM
Is it worth it?

As a Blu-Ray/DVD player? Very Yes.

As a game system? Not quite yet, although it probably will be by this time next year. I only own two BD PS3 games, although I've purchased about five from the online store, including Tekken:DR, which is quite good.

Be warned that there are some PS2 games that don't play well on the PS3, and you may or may not be getting one with software BC. Mine has the EE chipset and some games crash (SMT: Nocturne, both Digital Devil Saga games) or look funny (ZOE:2).

VsRobot
06-05-2007, 08:19 AM
I'm waiting for the inevitable price drop. Then I'll probably wait for another one. $349 is probably the magic number.

dangerhelvetica
06-05-2007, 08:21 AM
Who says nice things about the PSP? I mean, other than about how nice of a homebrew system it is.

There are quite a few good titles for the PSP, so that I totally would be all up ons if I had the cash for the system. Metal Gear Solid, Mega Man: Powered Up... uh, and then there are the ones coming later, like Castlevania and Tactics.

Plus I'm totally envious of the graphic quality that it appears to have over DS, at least in the still screenshots that I've seen.

ArugulaZ
06-05-2007, 08:21 AM

And a portable PSOne, too!

Have they really started taking out the Emotion Engine in American Playstation 3 units? That's news to me. Really, really bad news, because it'll be years from now before I work up the cash and the motivation to buy one.

JR

dangerhelvetica
06-05-2007, 08:27 AM
And a portable PSOne, too!

Have they really started taking out the Emotion Engine in American Playstation 3 units? That's news to me. Really, really bad news, because it'll be years from now before I work up the cash and the motivation to buy one.

JR

You make the Emotion Engine feel sad.

djSyndrome
06-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Have they really started taking out the Emotion Engine in American Playstation 3 units? That's news to me.

They can do so at any time. I haven't seen anything suggesting they have, but maybe that's the ones retailers in North America are selling now have been sitting on the shelves for weeks / months.

Jakanden
06-05-2007, 08:34 AM

I do. Admittedly, the homebrew is what kept me happy but now there are quite a few good games for it. The Mega Man games, Crush, Metal Slug Anthology come to mind with the aforementioned Castlevania being one of my highlights this year.

As far as the PS3, my sister has one and after the recent update, her and her husband are much happier with it. However, I am still waiting for a killer game before I get one myself.

Kishi
06-05-2007, 08:38 AM
Plus I'm totally envious of the graphic quality that it appears to have over DS, at least in the still screenshots that I've seen.

As far as graphics go, the PSP can either do beautiful 2D or ugly 3D. Guess which kind gets used more.

estragon
06-05-2007, 08:49 AM
$349 is probably the magic number.

So, you're planning to get a PS3 in 2012 or so?

. . .

Seriously, though, me too. It's not a bad plan, as far as I'm concerned. I just got a PS2 last Summer, and it was awesome. I've played through FFX, FFXII, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and both PS2 Katamari games since then. Games that are worth playing stay good even when the system is cheap, and you get to skip over all the stuff that isn't.

(Actually, in retrospect, I should have skipped FFX, but my completionist impulses wouldn't let me once I was a couple hours in. I've mentioned this before, but it was a huge mistake to play this after FFXII. . . At least I got it for under $20?)

But, yeah. Getting systems once they're cheap and you know what games are worth it is the way to go.

TheSL
06-05-2007, 09:02 AM
I do. Admittedly, the homebrew is what kept me happy but now there are quite a few good games for it. The Mega Man games, Crush, Metal Slug Anthology come to mind with the aforementioned Castlevania being one of my highlights this year.

But outside of Crush, Powered Up's level editor and an affordable version of Rondo of Blood, what can't you get an equivalent on another system with a better number of good games? I've had a PSP since launch, but it mostly just collects dust most of the year while I play legitimately new entires of franchises on DS that just get 2.5D ports of old games to PSP.

Edit: Of course I forgot MGS:PO, but its not really that essential to the overall MG mythos.

estragon
06-05-2007, 09:11 AM
But outside of Crush, Powered Up's level editor and an affordable version of Rondo of Blood, what can't you get an equivalent on another system with a better number of good games?

This is how I feel about a PSP. I want one to play Powered Up, Suikoden I & II, Megaman Legends, Final Fantasy Tactics, and SotN/Rondo of Blood. There are actually a lot of PSP games I want to play, but most of them I've played before. I just don't see myself buying just for ports, especially when I think about it in comparison to how awesome my DS is.

Also, I like that this pretty much immediately degenerated into a generalized "Sony has issues" thread.

Jakanden
06-05-2007, 09:31 AM
But outside of Crush, Powered Up's level editor and an affordable version of Rondo of Blood, what can't you get an equivalent on another system with a better number of good games? I've had a PSP since launch, but it mostly just collects dust most of the year while I play legitimately new entires of franchises on DS that just get 2.5D ports of old games to PSP.

Edit: Of course I forgot MGS:PO, but its not really that essential to the overall MG mythos.

I can understand that completely. I personally really like the PSP (I love playing PS1 games on the go) and I use it daily whether it be for games or movies (I watched the entire Basilisk series on the way to and from work).

However, I am aware most people here are PSP-haters (or at least PSP "meh"-ers) so I accept that I am a minority here =)

dangerhelvetica
06-05-2007, 09:39 AM
As far as graphics go, the PSP can either do beautiful 2D or ugly 3D. Guess which kind gets used more.

Is it really that bad? The screenshots I've seen make it look like it's just a step below PS2. DS floats a little below PS1.

Jakanden
06-05-2007, 09:55 AM
Is it really that bad? The screenshots I've seen make it look like it's just a step below PS2. DS floats a little below PS1.

It is getting better in my opinion. off the top of my head, Crush looks great and from what I understand, God of War and Silent Hill Origins look great as well.

djSyndrome
06-05-2007, 09:58 AM
The PSP a good system in need of some more good games. Also, there are some overseas-only titles that would probably do decently here, if publishers would just take a chance (I'm looking at you, Initial D and DJ MAX Portable).

Balrog
06-05-2007, 10:03 AM
I pretty happy with the PSP I just got...aside from the nub that made Katamari unplayable.

Kolbe
06-05-2007, 10:11 AM
However, I am aware most people here are PSP-haters (or at least PSP "meh"-ers) so I accept that I am a minority here =)

I've never said the PSP is a bad console. In fact, before the DS came out, it was what most of us thought was the next step in portable gaming. The GameBoy family was just portable versions of home consoles, with countless remakes and re-editions (particulary in Advance) in its library and very few stand-out games, not playable in any other plataform, just like the PSP is now.

The problem with the PSP is not the console per se, but its context. In one hand, the DS took portable gaming to a new dimension, where most of its truly good games can only be played in that machine, in that particular form. That because of the touch-screen and mic.

On the other, the marketing for the PSP tried to sell it as a fashion gadget, instead of a game machine (I remember seeing magazines articles where a bunch of pretty boys and girls where 'playing' PSP). They tried to compete with the iPod and Nintendo at the same time and, well, we all know what is happening. Besides that, it seems that Sony is actually abandoning the PSP.

So, yes, I'm a PSP "meh"-er, but it's not my entire fault. I actually wanted one, when they announced it. But, Sony let me lose interest. Right now I have one borrowed, and it's collecting dust. Should return it.

Jakanden
06-05-2007, 10:28 AM
The PSP a good system in need of some more good games. Also, there are some overseas-only titles that would probably do decently here, if publishers would just take a chance (I'm looking at you, Initial D and DJ MAX Portable).

Word. I love my Taiko no Tatsujin Portable =)

thomp538
06-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Lets see ... yep still $600, still sucks

djSyndrome
06-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Lets see ... yep still $600, still sucks

So it sucks solely because of the price?

estragon
06-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Umm, back on topic, are there any good games on the PS3 right now? I can't really think of anything I'd want to play on it at the moment.

thomp538
06-05-2007, 10:35 AM
So it sucks solely because of the price?
No, its a fabulous gaming machine, but since I won't go near it because of its price tag then yes it does suck. $400 I could probably swing, I did get an xbox, I just, no, $600 on ... no! Are you kidding me?

djSyndrome
06-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Umm, back on topic, are there any good games on the PS3 right now? I can't really think of anything I'd want to play on it at the moment.

Not at this moment, unless you're into American sports, 3D fighters or racing games. The best stuff is going to start hitting in a few weeks (Folks Soul, Ninja Gaiden Sigma), then another drought until the fall.

If you can live without these games, I'd wait for a price cut, which should be coming soon. Sony's already cutting the prices of their Blu-Ray players, so hopefully the PS3 shouldn't be far behind.

halverde
06-05-2007, 10:47 AM
I pretty happy with the PSP I just got...aside from the nub that made Katamari unplayable.

You mean the nub that you don't even use in the game? Cause Katamari was pretty damn playable on my PSP an hour ago.

Makkara
06-05-2007, 11:08 AM

Well, if you just count polygons per second, the PS1 may possibly trump the DS by a little bit. However, unlike the PS1, the DS uses actual Z-buffering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-buffering), and perspective corrected textures. Z-buffering means that if two polygons intersect, it's properly rendered. On the PS1, which used the painter's algorithm, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Painter%27s_algorithm) one polygon was always completely in front of the other. The perspective correction eliminates that wibbly wobbly effect you get on the PS1, especially on textures close to the camera.

JCDenton
06-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Most of the PS3's exclusive content is too far off for me to seriously care about it. Sure, I am going to have to play Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy XIII eventually, but who knows, they may end up ported to the 360. I don't have an HD TV, any interest in Blu-Ray, or $600. To me, yeah, it still sucks.

djSyndrome
06-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Hey, guys, I don't have the $50K needed for a BMW M3, so it sucks, okay?

Makkara
06-05-2007, 11:25 AM

The thing is, the PS3 is a Ford, sold at BMW prices.

Yes, I know Sony takes a hit on each console sold, but it's still comparable to the 360. Only more expensive.

shivam
06-05-2007, 11:26 AM
price point aside, the ps3 doesnt have the content i'd need to want to buy one yet. To be fair, the ps2 needed a few years to get to a point where it was worth getting as well.

personally, though, i'm totally in love with my PSP these days.

Jakanden
06-05-2007, 11:38 AM
price point aside, the ps3 doesnt have the content i'd need to want to buy one yet. To be fair, the ps2 needed a few years to get to a point where it was worth getting as well

That is my thoughts on the PS3 as well. I didn't personally want one until FFX and MGS2 came out, and oddly enough, those are the same franchises I am waiting for on the PS3.

Kolbe
06-05-2007, 11:38 AM

Comparing cars with games is the same as comparing blenders with books. Entertainment is not cheap, we all know this very well. But what good, in the case of games, can a product do to your company, or the industry, if only a few can get to purchase it?

djSyndrome
06-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Comparing cars with games is the same as comparing blenders with books.

But I'm not comparing cars in general - my example was for a high-end car that transcends the line between transportation requirements and automotive entertainment. No one needs an M3, just as no one needs a PS3. I can just as easily buy a VW Golf/Rabbit to get to work, just as I could buy a PS2 to play games. In both cases, I get what I pay for: the Golf isn't going to be nearly as fun to drive as the M3, and the PS2 isn't going to offer games with the level of AV detail that PS3 can.

I feel the PS3's price is fair price considering the technology included in the system. If the 360 included an HD-DVD drive, a decently sized hard drive, and HDMI, it might have cost more (see: Elite 360 + HD-DVD drive, which will currently set you back $680).

I'll concede that Sony's using the PS3 as a Trojan Horse to get Blu-Ray into your living room has definitely cost them market share (along with Kutaragi's big mouth). But for me it was a steal because I wanted a Blu-Ray player anyway. YMMV.

bobservo
06-05-2007, 11:49 AM
I can see myself getting a PS3 by 2009. Until then, I have too many PS2 games to play. I've always been an early adopter of consoles, but I've learned my lesson.

tungwene
06-05-2007, 11:56 AM
I can understand that completely. I personally really like the PSP (I love playing PS1 games on the go) and I use it daily whether it be for games or movies (I watched the entire Basilisk series on the way to and from work).

However, I am aware most people here are PSP-haters (or at least PSP "meh"-ers) so I accept that I am a minority here =)Since this thread seems to have I wandered this way...I've been meaning to ask this for some while but have been unsure if I'd get flamed for it. If I were to purchase a PSP now would I be able to run that PS1 emulator on it or has Sony done something to new PSP that blocks you from running emulators on them. Because I've been really seriously contemplating buying a PSP and one of the reasons that one really appeals to me is being able to play all the PS1 games I've missed that no stores carry anymore on it, but if the emulation option is available on models that were made after the system was cracked then I think I'll wait for the PSP v.2 details to be announced and decide then.

estragon
06-05-2007, 11:57 AM
But I'm not comparing cars in general - my example was for a high-end car that transcends the line between transportation requirements and automotive entertainment. No one needs an M3, just as no one needs a PS3. I can just as easily buy a VW Golf/Rabbit to get to work, just as I could buy a PS2 to play games. In both cases, I get what I pay for: the Golf isn't going to be nearly as fun to drive as the M3, and the PS2 isn't going to offer games with the level of AV detail that PS3 can.

I think the reason this analogy doesn't work right now is that, currently, the PS3 doesn't have any good games, as you said earlier in the thread. I think for the PS3=M3 analogy to work, the M3 would have to be on a deserted island where there is no gas.

It's expensive and theoretically enjoyable, but you can't actually use it right now.

Now, it's possible that, at some point in the future, there will be games worth buying on the PS3. But, it's also possible that, at some point in the future, the price will go down enough to make it worthwhile.

There is absolutely no way that I want a PS3 now. There is a pretty decent chance that I might want a PS3 in 3 or 4 years.

Also, yeah, I have way too many old games that I still haven't played.

alexb
06-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Speaking as one of those rare beasts who actually owns a PS3, I would say that no, it's still not worth it. There's still nothing to play on it. The only PS3 game I own is Oblivion. Everything else is an imperfect port of a mediocre XBox 360 game. If you don't have an HD monitor, you really have no reason to get one at this point. The upscaling on games does improve the look of PS1 games on an HD set, but due to the rather noticeable darkening effect that takes place when you upscale PS2 games, it's really a wash. They don't look terribly better and in fact may look worse than if you'd let your TV upscale them. More distressing, the games are still interlaced, so combing effects are still a major problem. Also, if you do have a game that can do progressive scan, like Valkyrie Profile 2, turning on progressive scan breaks out of the upscaling mode, so you're not seeing any difference over the pre-1.80 firmware.

Upscaled DVD movies do look good on it, though. It seems like they're using a different program to upscale the movies than they use to upscale the games and it doesn't exhibit black crush.

Zef
06-05-2007, 12:11 PM

Like you say, no one needs an M3, because a VW can perform the same tasks. A BMW and a VW can both get you to work. Then can both get you to the store. They can both get you to the theater. Both fulfill the ultimate and general need of transportation. When someone buys an M3, it's because of the added value in the method of transportation. But a console delivers highly specific forms of entertainment. When a game is defined by its entertainment content rather than its technical specifications, and the console is defined by its games, the analogy falls flat. A GameCube provides me with Metroid Prime, but I need a PS2 to play Katamari Damacy.

(On the other hand, the analogy works best with multiplatform games, where the form, and not the function, is what differentiates the console's performance.)

At the moment, the only game that a PS3 would provide to fulfill my very particular interests is White Knight Story, which itself is of unknown quality (we've only seen one gameplay teaser, after all.) Admittedly, I've bought entire consoles just for one game before (Chrono Cross, FFX, GRAW, the aforementioned Metroid Prime,) but the current price and complete lack of customer support in my country means that I won't invest in a PS3 until it has at least three games that fit my interests. HD isn't even an issue either --I can play XB360 games just fine on a regular TV, and I'm not too excited about my DVD collection becoming obsolete, so Blu-Ray is just a quirky add-on rather than a necessity.

shivam
06-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Since this thread seems to have I wandered this way...I've been meaning to ask this for some while but have been unsure if I'd get flamed for it. If I were to purchase a PSP now would I be able to run that PS1 emulator on it or has Sony done something to new PSP that blocks you from running emulators on them. Because I've been really seriously contemplating buying a PSP and one of the reasons that one really appeals to me is being able to play all the PS1 games I've missed that no stores carry anymore on it, but if the emulation option is available on models that were made after the system was cracked then I think I'll wait for the PSP v.2 details to be announced and decide then.

as long as you make sure to install custom firmwares before you do any official patching, you will be fine.

incidentally, i wrote a lengthy feature for the upcoming issue of PSM specifically on PSP homebrew, so if they don't edit the shit out of it, you might find it helpful.

tungwene
06-05-2007, 12:27 PM
as long as you make sure to install custom firmwares before you do any official patching, you will be fine.

incidentally, i wrote a lengthy feature for the upcoming issue of PSM specifically on PSP homebrew, so if they don't edit the shit out of it, you might find it helpful.Okay, thanks.

Maigo
06-05-2007, 12:33 PM
http://www.spinozist.us/wp-content/uploads/I%20want%20to%20believe%20small.jpg

I want to want a PS3. I want to want a PSP.

Jakanden
06-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Since this thread seems to have I wandered this way...I've been meaning to ask this for some while but have been unsure if I'd get flamed for it. If I were to purchase a PSP now would I be able to run that PS1 emulator on it or has Sony done something to new PSP that blocks you from running emulators on them. Because I've been really seriously contemplating buying a PSP and one of the reasons that one really appeals to me is being able to play all the PS1 games I've missed that no stores carry anymore on it, but if the emulation option is available on models that were made after the system was cracked then I think I'll wait for the PSP v.2 details to be announced and decide then.

Shoot me a PM and I can help you out with any questions you may have when I get a chance.

thomp538
06-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Don't take it so hard.

nadia
06-05-2007, 03:34 PM
incidentally, i wrote a lengthy feature for the upcoming issue of PSM specifically on PSP homebrew, so if they don't edit the shit out of it, you might find it helpful.

I'll be on the lookout for this. I've been rabidly curious about PSP homebrew, but don't even know where to start (when it comes to patching in general, I'm absolutely clueless).

Red Hedgehog
06-05-2007, 03:37 PM
After its most recent price drop, my interest in the PSP increased substantially. If the PSP were to drop to the price of the DS, I would pick it up with my next paycheck. The PSP currently has enough games that I would enjoy, plus the media and emulator stuff.

Currently, only a ridiculous price drop would get me to buy a PS3 ($100? $50?) It doesn't do anything I am interested in right now and even the announced stuff doesn't seem like it will push me over the edge.

I have, in my head, some sort of minimum enjoyment to price ratio that must be met before I'm willing to buy a system. The Wii had me once I played my first game of Wii Sports (and had already seen Zelda). The 360 passed that point around the time Crackdown reviews came out and the German board games were announced for live arcade. The PS3 is nowhere near that.

thomp538
06-05-2007, 03:40 PM
I'd love to get a PSP for the modding possibilities.

<general disclaimer>

Jakanden
06-05-2007, 03:44 PM
I'll be on the lookout for this. I've been rabidly curious about PSP homebrew, but don't even know where to start (when it comes to patching in general, I'm absolutely clueless).

Installation can be a pain in certain instances (certain firmware combined with certain motherboards), but generally It is pretty easy once you get it setup with a custom FW.

Deadguy2322
06-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Installation can be a pain in certain instances (certain firmware combined with certain motherboards), but generally It is pretty easy once you get it setup with a custom FW.

If you use the right downgrader it is a snap. I have personally installed OE firmware on 5 TA-082 PSP systems, as well as my own pre-082 model, and it is so simple I can crack a PSP in 5 minutes now.

As long as you use the downgrader that has the motherboard patcher/recovery console, and I don't know why anyone wouldn't, it's a snap.

Anybody with questions can feel free to PM me for links to FAQs and direct advice.

And the PS1 emulation is awesome, but some titles either don't work, or require bizarre hand contortions if they use all the shoulder buttons.

Portable Symphony of the Night? Yes, it is real, it is sweet, and it often resides in my pants.

Well, the pocket of said pants.

Get your minds out of the gutter.

Jakanden
06-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Ah - I haven't installed it on any TA-082, but I have done quite a few pre-TA-082. The process for the TA-082 used to be fairly convoluted so I might have to look into it again to see how easy it has become.

djSyndrome
06-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Portable Symphony of the Night? Yes, it is real, it is sweet, and it often resides in my pants.

Wow, way to make people not want to buy the new version coming for the PSP later this year.

Deadguy2322
06-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Ah - I haven't installed it on any TA-082, but I have done quite a few pre-TA-082. The process for the TA-082 used to be fairly convoluted so I might have to look into it again to see how easy it has become.

Using the HEN downgrader via LCS it is literally only one button press and about 15 seconds difference. The downgrader patches the motherboard and installs the recovery console, removing the booby-traps that made the TA-082 a nightmare in the beginning.

Deadguy2322
06-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Wow, way to make people not want to buy the new version coming for the PSP later this year.

Hey, I have my ripped copy from PS1, but I will still buy the Dracula X Chronicles version just to get Rondo of Blood.

On that note, anybody know how to rip an ISO image of a hybrid disc? (Data and redbook audio) [e]mulator for PSP can run ISOs for PC-Engine, but I have had no success ripping my Dracula X disc.

Oh, I'm on Mac OS X, if anybody knows of a tool, I can install Parallels if needed for a good Windows tool.

Calorie Mate
06-05-2007, 05:01 PM
I'm not hiding this fact at all - I'm waiting for MGS4, and will be unable to resist its siren song once it comes out. I'm still conflicted on whether we'll eventually see it on 360, but in either case I'll need it when it comes out.

I think, with both PS3 and 360, it's simply a matter of choosing which exclusives you like best, since 90% of third party games will be available on both.

Here's my question to you all: so most of my friends, having recently graduated college, are going to be spread far and wide next Fall (India, Costa Rica, Southern and Northern California, to name a few places). As I've said, I know I'll really be wanting a PS3 once MGS4 hits...but Xbox Live would make playing with them so much easier (one friend has 360 already, one wants one, and the others will cave if everyone else does). Do you think PSN will be robust enough in the Fall, with Home etc., to really stay connected? I'm thinking Xbox Live is awesome, and Nintendo's strategy is insufficient, so hopefully PSN will be somewhere in between.

thomp538
06-05-2007, 05:42 PM
I actually WANT a PS3, if only for upscaling old games and Blue Ray (recently got a new TV) I just can't justify spending that kind of money on something I know I won't be playing all that often.

alexb
06-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Do you think PSN will be robust enough in the Fall, with Home etc., to really stay connected? I'm thinking Xbox Live is awesome, and Nintendo's strategy is insufficient, so hopefully PSN will be somewhere in between.

I really doubt you will see anything approaching the level of integration that you see in XBox Live. The problem is that XBox Live is at this point a second draft. More importantly, the 360 was designed from the very beginning to be able to allow you to track and join your friends in games. PS3 is pretty much the Wild West, with different servers and friend lists for every game and no real underlying organization. Home may or may not fix this problem with games going forward. I kind of doubt it, though. The idea with Home seems to me more like an attempt to bite off of Second Life combined with the hope of selling fake t-shirts and hummers to the MTV set.

Kirin
06-06-2007, 08:30 AM
No one needs an M3, just as no one needs a PS3. I can just as easily buy a VW Golf/Rabbit to get to work, just as I could buy a PS2 to play games.

Hey, I love my Golf. At least use a genuinely cruddy car like the Aveo or something. Actually, wait, I love my PS2 also, so my complaint is totally invalid. Hmph.

Anyway, what I really want is a Z3. And FFXIII. Either way, I have some waiting to do.

(Yes, I know the Z3 is retired. The waiting in that case is "until I have stupid amounts of moneys".)

djSyndrome
06-06-2007, 08:44 AM
You could always get a 1-series (http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/country/gcf/spyphotoID/6070605.001/bmw/bmw-1-series-coupe-clearest-spy-shots-yet). I'm not thrilled that the hatchback is being left overseas - what is with America's fear of a fifth door? - but the fact that it's coming over at all is commendable.

blitzchamp
06-06-2007, 08:53 AM
After its most recent price drop, my interest in the PSP increased substantially. If the PSP were to drop to the price of the DS, I would pick it up with my next paycheck. The PSP currently has enough games that I would enjoy, plus the media and emulator stuff.

Currently, only a ridiculous price drop would get me to buy a PS3 ($100? $50?) It doesn't do anything I am interested in right now and even the announced stuff doesn't seem like it will push me over the edge.

I have, in my head, some sort of minimum enjoyment to price ratio that must be met before I'm willing to buy a system. The Wii had me once I played my first game of Wii Sports (and had already seen Zelda). The 360 passed that point around the time Crackdown reviews came out and the German board games were announced for live arcade. The PS3 is nowhere near that.

I completely agree. I hadn't thought about the PSP for years, and when I saw the price drop, it went back into my head.

Excitemike
06-06-2007, 09:01 AM
Do you think PSN will be robust enough in the Fall, with Home etc., to really stay connected? I'm thinking Xbox Live is awesome, and Nintendo's strategy is insufficient, so hopefully PSN will be somewhere in between.

That's a fair assessment. I think Sony will get their online together eventually, but not within the next six months. The bigger question: Will your friends who have just graduated college be able to afford a PS3? That price isn't going down for a long time.

Kirin
06-06-2007, 09:06 AM
You could always get a 1-series (http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/country/gcf/spyphotoID/6070605.001/bmw/bmw-1-series-coupe-clearest-spy-shots-yet). I'm not thrilled that the hatchback is being left overseas - what is with America's fear of a fifth door? - but the fact that it's coming over at all is commendable.

Intriguing (and how much is that series supposed to cost?). But yeah, hatchbacks are totally sweet. Turns a nice compact car (= good mileage and easy to park) into something with more storage space than a way-too-large sedan. What's not to love?

(Er, sorry for the car digression, guys.)

(Of course what I really want is this (http://www.teslamotors.com/). If I could just, you know, find a spare 100 grand lying around.)

Mightyblue
06-06-2007, 10:13 AM
You could always get a 1-series (http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/country/gcf/spyphotoID/6070605.001/bmw/bmw-1-series-coupe-clearest-spy-shots-yet). I'm not thrilled that the hatchback is being left overseas - what is with America's fear of a fifth door? - but the fact that it's coming over at all is commendable.Dang that looks purty. I wish I had a 100k or so to get it.

Balrog
06-06-2007, 11:33 AM
I've got a little formula I use to figure out when to get a console:

(number of good games X $40) > Total Price of the console

When that condition happens, I'll buy one, like my PSP I just bought. Unfortunately, I bought a Wii without this in mind and I shake my head just thinking about it. The PS3 has about 14 games to go in order for me to buy one.

djSyndrome
06-06-2007, 11:52 AM
I've got a little formula I use to figure out when to get a console:

(number of good games X $40) > Total Price of the console

By that logic, everyone on planet Earth should own a DS. Oh wait.

Deadguy2322
06-06-2007, 02:36 PM
By that logic, everyone on planet Earth should own a DS. Oh wait.

Except the DS game also needs this formula applied:

#of appealing games-# of games with pointless touch-screen crap shoehorned in that don't benefit gameplay-games where touchscreen actually hinders gameplay=too few

Sami
06-06-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm sure those who own PS3s have plenty of nice things to say about them.

So, because nobody bought a PS3, nobody says good things about it? I guess... that makes sense.

Anyways, this discussion is about the PSP now? Where I live, it's easy to get a PSP cheaper than a DSL. But the system is just not very appealing. Stores are discontinuing PSP sales, not just UMDs but the whole system, and nobody seems to want one anymore. Maybe it will still pick up with Castlevania and the like, but it's ridiculous that we haven't even gotten Crisis Core yet.

Ah, well. Every system has its fans, and players. Even GameGear, so why not PSP?

Calorie Mate
06-06-2007, 05:05 PM

#of appealing games-# of games with pointless touch-screen crap shoehorned in that don't benefit gameplay-games where touchscreen actually hinders gameplay=too few

Well that's just silly. If there are tons of good games, why can't you just ignore the rest? That's what most people did with the PS2. You don't HAVE to play those other games, especially when there are too many good games and too little time to play as it is.

ArugulaZ
06-06-2007, 05:17 PM
So, because nobody bought a PS3, nobody says good things about it? I guess... that makes sense.

Anyways, this discussion is about the PSP now? Where I live, it's easy to get a PSP cheaper than a DSL. But the system is just not very appealing. Stores are discontinuing PSP sales, not just UMDs but the whole system, and nobody seems to want one anymore. Maybe it will still pick up with Castlevania and the like, but it's ridiculous that we haven't even gotten Crisis Core yet.

What stores?! Vague statements like this drive me crazy. If you're going to make them, you ought to back them up with proof or at least a little more detail. None of the stores I visit in this town (GameStop, Target, Meijer, K-Mart, Wal-Mart, ABC Warehouse) have dropped the PSP, although I will concede that many of them have limited or even removed their stock of UMD movies.

JR

openedsource
06-06-2007, 05:41 PM

Your calculation is flawed. There's a plethora of appealing games that happen to have pointless touch-screen crap shoehorned in.

nadia
06-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Your calculation is flawed. There's a plethora of appealing games that happen to have pointless touch-screen crap shoehorned in.

Agreed, especially since there are plenty of games that do make good use of the touch screen. Hotel Dusk, plz.

Accusing the DS of shoehorned touch-screen crap is sooooo 2004.

blitzchamp
06-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Agreed, especially since there are plenty of games that do make good use of the touch screen. Hotel Dusk, plz.

Accusing the DS of shoehorned touch-screen crap is sooooo 2004.

I will third that. Even if some games don't completely use it, its incorporated in a logical way.

alexb
06-06-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm looking forward to the beginning of this era of properly designed interfaces for the Wii. I mean, if I get even half the great stuff on Wii that I get on DS, I'll be as close to content as my societal programming will allow.

Deadguy2322
06-07-2007, 06:46 AM

No, that is the whole point of my calculation. The shoehorned-in touch crap makes the game completely lose its appeal. A good example is Super Princess Peach. My daughter got it, and gave up due to the piss-poor design decision to only make the mood changes touch-activated. It was way too hard to trigger a mood change in mid-jump, and often the touch was picked up in the wrong spot, leading to the wrog mood being triggered.

Falselogic
09-06-2011, 06:58 PM
The question is now four years later, does the PS3 still suck?

It has certainly failed, in many ways, to distinguish itself from the 360... Either machine is just as good as the other for most people.

Belmont
09-06-2011, 07:04 PM
PS3 has no gaems.

TK Flash
09-06-2011, 07:18 PM
I just picked up my PS3 back in February and so far it's quite the disappointment. I just wanted to play some Japanese games! Instead they are all third-person action titles. It's like a poor man's Xbox!

With this and the whole "Do anything but play PSP games on your PSP" I think Sony is down for the count. Whatever happened to those halcyon PS2 days?

keele864
09-06-2011, 07:18 PM

It has certainly failed, in many ways, to distinguish itself from the 360... Either machine is just as good as the other for most people.

The PS3 doesn't have as many exclusives at the 360, but it does have Uncharted, and that's more than enough for me. The second game alone would have justified my purchase of the system.

Sapper Gopher
09-06-2011, 07:52 PM
My 360 has become the FFXI and Fable 2 machine. Oh, and From Dust too, since it apparently sucks on the PC. So I guess you can say I'm happy with my PS3. These days just about everything comes out for the PS3 anyways, and I've lost all interest in Gears of War and Halo: Ad Nauseum. I liked Infamous 2 and Uncharted, And there's some gems like Valkryia Chronicles.

Eusis
09-06-2011, 07:52 PM
The PS3 doesn't have as many exclusives at the 360, but it does have Uncharted, and that's more than enough for me. The second game alone would have justified my purchase of the system.
On the other hand the number of upcoming retail exclusives seems to be higher on the PS3. Most games that were 360 exclusive got cross platform sequels (Dead Rising) or they themselves were ported later on (Bioshock, ME2 as a combination of BOTH), and it doesn't help that Microsoft's own efforts seem to have been dialed back A LOT while most Western developers make their games PS3/360/maybe PC anyway. XBLA's a different story, but a good chunk of that may simply be publishers who want to be multiplatform but aren't really in the position to self publish or go with anyone but Microsoft, and end up having to deal with their rules. Hell, a good chunk of those get ported later on anyway.

Trent Dole
09-06-2011, 10:42 PM

DW7XL is a PS3 exclusive worldwide and that makes me a sad panda since I dun have a PS3. There's a few cool exclusives for it, I'd maybe get one on the cheap towards the end of this gen.

Alixsar
09-06-2011, 11:42 PM

Yeah. 360 is much more user friendly. IMO PS3 games tend to look a little better, but I have more fun with my 360.

Last Guardian should be awesome though.

Note: This has been my response every time this topic has come up since forever. And Last Guardian still isn't out.

ultimatt
09-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Oh, and From Dust too, since it apparently sucks on the PC.

hmm, i was going to grab it on steam. where did you read that?

VorpalEdge
09-06-2011, 11:59 PM
The PS3 has better exclusives (by my reckoning at least, I'll mention some if you want but I really don't feel like getting into a list wars) and hardware reliability. Since I don't play FPSs online it's easy to recommend a PS3 at this point, if the buyer doesn't already have a 360.

Sapper Gopher
09-07-2011, 12:08 AM
hmm, i was going to grab it on steam. where did you read that?

I skimmed articles similar to this (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/18/from-dust-pc-players-erupt-in-anger-over-port/), I also remember reading the Steam crew were offering refunds. It's a neat novelty game, seems kinda short though.

Adrenaline
09-07-2011, 06:12 AM
The PS3 doesn't have as many exclusives at the 360

lol wut

djSyndrome
09-07-2011, 06:21 AM
No, it doesn't suck, because in less than three months I get to play this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/djSyndrome/gex_00_transam1.jpg

TheSL
09-07-2011, 06:38 AM
I still hate that I have to manually sync my trophies every time instead of that shit being automatic. Also, that I have to exit a game and manually initiate update installations every time one comes up for the system firmware. Xbox 360 does both of these things automatically; Sony expects you to play for PS+ for these features.

upupdowndown
09-07-2011, 06:45 AM
We're really happy with our PS3. Like others have mentioned, most major releases at this point are dual-platform, and it turns out that Fable is the only remaining Xbox-exclusive series that I give a shit about. (not including XBLA stuff, and I will be playing ME3 on the 360 because of my game history.) If I were into online gaming at all, it'd be different. But I'm not, so.

also, I do prefer the PS3 controller and the overall design - the 360 dashboard has gotten awfully cluttered and advertising-filled.

I imagine next generation we'll echo what we did with this one: get the new PS platform first, then end up waiting until there's some Xbox exclusives that we absolutely "need" and getting a used X console.

ozacrot
09-07-2011, 08:10 AM
I picked up a PS3 on the ol' Craigslist about a month or two ago, since the price was right and it had PS2 compatibility (and seriously, if you live in a metropolitan area this is definitely the recommended method of getting this system.) I don't have very many games for it yet - currently slogging through MGS4 and Valkyria Chronicles. Well, in truth I'm mostly playing Legend of Mana. So, does the PS3 suck?

for PS1 games: nope! it rules! now release SaGa Frontier.

for PS2 games: pretty great! but the difference in visual quality between these and PS3 games is a lot more noticeable now that I've been on HD systems for a couple years.

the exclusives: I am ill-equipped to judge these, but FWIW I'm really enjoying both games. I'm not far into either, and I've heard so many bad things about where MGS4 is going, but I'm trying to think of it as a summer blockbuster movie-type game with a huge amount of pretense. Demon's Souls is probably next.

the exclusives for 360: Pretty great, with less caveats too. I'm still glad I went with the 360 first.

the shop and download interface: KILL IT WITH FIRE

Wolfgang
09-07-2011, 09:39 AM
BLUE RAYS

Patrick
09-07-2011, 11:11 AM
The PS3 has better exclusives (by my reckoning at least, I'll mention some if you want but I really don't feel like getting into a list wars) and hardware reliability. Since I don't play FPSs online it's easy to recommend a PS3 at this point, if the buyer doesn't already have a 360.

Yeah, basically. I wouldn't recommend it unequivocally to everyone, but I love mine. If you already own a 360 and are going to buy most 3rd party games for that system anyway, a PS3 would only be worth it if you really want the exclusives. If you aren't interested in 360 exclusives or XBL, it is a reliable system, plays 90% of the same games as 360, and has excellent exclusive games. It's one of my favorite systems ever, but it's extremely poor as a compliment to a 360.

DemoWeasel
09-07-2011, 11:31 AM
All Sony needed to do to get me to buy a PS3 was to confirm that Sly 4 would be coming out for it.

I'll need to get one eventually!

ZRofel
09-07-2011, 12:19 PM
I picked up a PS3 a few days ago, and as of right now I've got God of War III, Yakuza 3, Valkyria Chronicles, 3-D Dot Game Heroes, and Demon's Souls. I'll probably end up snagging Heavy Rain, Folklore, Disgaea 3, and maybe Uncharted 2. Are there any other worthwhile exclusives I'm forgetting?

TheSL
09-07-2011, 12:24 PM
I picked up a PS3 a few days ago, and as of right now I've got God of War III, Yakuza 3, Valkyria Chronicles, 3-D Dot Game Heroes, and Demon's Souls. I'll probably end up snagging Heavy Rain, Folklore, Disgaea 3, and maybe Uncharted 2. Are there any other worthwhile exclusives I'm forgetting?

Disgaea 4.

ajr82
09-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Given that I have a good gaming PC, there are very few reasons for me to own a 360.

DANoWAR
09-07-2011, 12:31 PM

Give me your things.

Oh wait. Finish buying the games.

Then give me your things.

ZRofel
09-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Give me your things.

Oh wait. Finish buying the games.

Then give me your things.

But I like my things... :(

DANoWAR
09-07-2011, 12:41 PM
But I like my things... :(

Less talking. More buying games.

Adrenaline
09-07-2011, 01:28 PM

Folklore wasn't a weird dream we all had?

Get Ratchet and Clank.

Wolfgang
09-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Get Ratchet and Clank.

Especially All 4 One, so there can be many fun TT R&C sessions. For reals, who all is picking this up? We need to set up a schedule for this, or something.

Sprite
09-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Especially All 4 One, so there can be many fun TT R&C sessions. For reals, who all is picking this up? We need to set up a schedule for this, or something.
What's All 4 One?
*googles*
H...HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME BEFORE?!

Adrenaline
09-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Because it looks shitty and no one wants to play it

Balrog
09-07-2011, 02:13 PM

StriderDL
09-07-2011, 02:16 PM
You don't need to pick up Folklore. No sirree.

Wolfgang
09-07-2011, 02:20 PM

Pshh - me and Sprite will have all the fun.

Thraeg
09-07-2011, 02:25 PM
The PC has pretty much supplanted consoles for me in the past year or so, but the PS3 is still worthwhile even if just for Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles.

Wheels
09-07-2011, 03:06 PM
I've enjoyed my time with Resistance 2 so far, but keep hearing people (not on hear) say that the first was better. I tried the first and thought it was awful, am I missing something?

Matchstick
09-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Because Balrog and I are giant dopes.

ZRofel
09-08-2011, 08:27 AM
You don't need to pick up Folklore. No sirree.

What was wrong with it? The descriptions I read sounded kind of quirky and interesting.

Wheels
09-08-2011, 09:15 AM
What was wrong with it? The descriptions I read sounded kind of quirky and interesting.

I kind of liked what I played of the demo, until running into stupid usage of the six-axis.

StriderDL
09-08-2011, 10:44 AM
It ends up being phenomenally boring. There are a lot of monsters to collect, sure, but you only end up using a handful of them, and many of them are more or less recolors from previous area. Even their souls end up with the same attacks at times.

And, as mentioned, the six-axis stuff. Somewhat interesting the first few times, but then mostly annoying.

Matchstick
09-08-2011, 07:36 PM
It ends up being phenomenally boring. There are a lot of monsters to collect, sure, but you only end up using a handful of them, and many of them are more or less recolors from previous area. Even their souls end up with the same attacks at times.

And, as mentioned, the six-axis stuff. Somewhat interesting the first few times, but then mostly annoying.

For me it was mainly the former and the fact that you had to go through a lot of the areas twice. I liked it a heck of a lot aside from the tedium. :p

le geek
09-09-2011, 07:25 AM
If/when Ni no Kuni is released in the US, I will have no choice but to get a PS3 (if I haven't caved already).

Refa
09-09-2011, 07:53 AM
What's so great about Ni No Kuni? The only good thing I know about it is that it's (art design and possibly story, I'm not exactly sure on the specifics) made by Studio Ghibli and has good graphics.

djSyndrome
09-09-2011, 08:20 AM
What's so great about Ni No Kuni? The only good thing I know about it is that it's (art design and possibly story, I'm not exactly sure on the specifics) made by Studio Ghibli and has good graphics.

That's pretty much it. Apparently the Japanese didn't fall over themselves to buy it either (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.siliconera.com%2F2011%2F01%2F 02%2Fni-no-kuni-prices-slashed-at-japanese-retail%2F&rct=j&q=ni%20no%20kuni%20bargain%20bin&ei=XiBqTvaHMYnjiAKnso2vDg&usg=AFQjCNF7o-fwxsITnvhssMWlgWfjPE2nSQ&cad=rja).

le geek
09-09-2011, 08:21 AM
That's pretty much it, Refa. I am hoping it's a good game as well, but I have no idea, other that it looks like an RPG and it looks like it has some Pokemon elements.

I already have a copy of 3D Dot Game Heroes and I want to play the PSN stuff, but have not caved yet. The price drop makes it more tempting, but one more game would do it. Being a big Ghibli nerd makes my choice for me...

It could totally be an average game though, or even stink, who knows?

EDIT: BAH! NINJAED!

djSyndrome
09-09-2011, 08:29 AM
I already have a copy of 3D Dot Game Heroes and I want to play the PSN stuff, but have not caved yet. The price drop makes it more tempting, but one more game would do it. Being a big Ghibli nerd makes my choice for me...

Have you tried Demon's Souls?

le geek
09-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Have you tried Demon's Souls?

I don't really have access to a PS3, so no. Also, its reputation as hard game scares me.

djSyndrome
09-09-2011, 08:40 AM
I don't really have access to a PS3, so no. Also, its reputation as hard game scares me.

It's hard but thoroughly rewarding. In three decades of gaming I have never felt so satisfied at every little accomplishment as I did while playing Demons Souls. The game absolutely grabs you into its world and does not let you go.

Also: on the lighter side, Katamari Forever is pretty great as well; it's a greatest hits collection of all of the best levels along with a few new ones, and the remixed tunes are fantastic.

Zef
09-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Also: on the lighter side, Katamari Forever is pretty great as well; it's a greatest hits collection of all of the best levels along with a few new ones, and the remixed tunes are fantastic.

How does it compare to Beautiful?

djSyndrome
09-09-2011, 09:20 AM
How does it compare to Beautiful?

Pretty favorably - framerate is much better and doesn't have $100 worth of obnoxious DLC.