PDA

View Full Version : Blood of Bahamut

Coinspinner
11-12-2008, 08:03 AM
http://www.bahamut.jp/

Alexander vs. Bahamut again? Hawt.

mopinks
11-12-2008, 08:16 AM
do we know anything about what this is? should I... should I be interested?

Zef
11-12-2008, 08:18 AM
Alexander looks like the Colossi decided to try their hand at turning into a Combiner Mecha. And then they added a volcano just for the laffs.

Castles-in-my-shoulders-stalactites-in-my-armpits Bahamut looks genuinely frightening, though. Whatever this turns out to be, I'm already stoked --Alexander is one of my favorite concepts from the franchise, and this version of it is just insane. My mind is already awhirl trying to figure out what the game will be about (gods of heaven and earth, maybe?)

Makkara
11-12-2008, 08:27 AM
Cities built on giant monsters? I approve.

Patrick
11-12-2008, 08:29 AM
Does the text say what game this is for?

Octopus Prime
11-12-2008, 08:29 AM
I don't know what this is, but I am intrigued.

Mayhap a sequel to Bahamuts Lagoon?

reibeatall
11-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Maybe it's finally that Final Fantasy IX spinoff I've been writing to Santa for!

PapillonReel
11-12-2008, 08:33 AM
I don't know what this is, but I am intrigued.

Mayhap a sequel to Bahamuts Lagoon?

I was just thinking that. There's just one point of contention, though: [Alexander's a multi-headed, oh-so very evil dragon in the game, not a colossus as depicted here.] Still, it'd be great if they did revive the IP, and maybe even brought it over to VC if they were feeling particularly generous.

nadia
11-12-2008, 08:55 AM
I would live on Bahamut's shoulder. In a nice semi-detached, maybe. What would the property values be like? I imagine sea sickness would be a regular problem...

Octopus Prime
11-12-2008, 08:56 AM
I don't think it's wise to live on something that appears to be made of 50% cloud.

Kirin
11-12-2008, 09:02 AM
What ho?

Considering "Bahamut" was my online handle for most of the early nineties, this is pushing my buttons.

(Man I hope it's not something else I can't get because it's on PSP or, god forbid, cell phones.)

Music's nice too.

Sporophyte
11-12-2008, 10:08 AM
That's some pretty slick artwork. Color me intrigued.

Alixsar
11-12-2008, 11:04 AM
(Man I hope it's not something else I can't get because it's on PSP or, god forbid, cell phones.)

Seriously. Hopefully it's not just some FF knock-off or something too. All I know is that those colossi-lookin' things are bad ass, and this hopefully won't be on the PSP. I dun have one anymores. :(

Sven
11-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Metroplex could totally kick that thing's ass.

Octopus Prime
11-12-2008, 11:06 AM

In fairness, Metroplex can kick damn near everythings ass, assuming his Transformation Cog is working.

Kishi
11-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Alexander is supposed to be a slick castle robot thing (with or without wings (http://wpshrine.com/uploads/wpshrine_Final_Fantasy_9_20_1280x1024.jpg)). That earthen thing looks more like Golem.

Parish
11-12-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm gonna be so annoyed if this is just a FFXI expansion.

Wolfgang
11-12-2008, 11:23 AM

I dunno, the chip on his shoulder is a mountain. But you know what could take it down? A lawsuit from Team Ico.

Coinspinner
11-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Eh, "supposed to". New game, new designs.

Coinspinner
11-12-2008, 11:28 AM

Doesn't really look like Bahamut's FFXI design.

Kishi
11-12-2008, 11:30 AM
I just think slick castle robot things deserve more exposure. Completely changing it to a rock giant because everyone liked Ueda's game? Not cool.

Zef
11-12-2008, 11:44 AM
I dunno, I'm cool with the design. FF6 and 7's "giant castle made out with the Gunbuster and then had a city built on top" design always appealed to me; the version in 9, looking like it's made entirely of ancient rock, just expanded on the concept. This one goes all the way and gives Lex legs and a[t least one] hand, but the basic concept of "giant earthen mecha with a city on its back" is still in full effect.

I think the only real issue is that he also has a face now, and one that looks way too similar to the Minotaur from SotC. I'd rather have the faceless helm with the single laser eye, but I'm OK with this too.

Sporophyte
11-12-2008, 12:19 PM

Now that you've said this I can't help but fear it is true.

Coinspinner
11-12-2008, 12:22 PM
I just think slick castle robot things deserve more exposure. Completely changing it to a rock giant because everyone liked Ueda's game? Not cool.

We're both assuming it's Alexander. It might not be! Especially not if it's a Bahamut Lagoon game like some people are hoping. So maybe we still get the colorful onion domes version.

Edit: Am I the only one who saw "Alexander" and the first thing that came to mind was White Knight Chronicles' city-beast, not SotC?

Parish
11-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Now that you've said this I can't help but fear it is true.

I have dinner with some SE people tonight. I'll see if they can at least assuage this fear.

Matchstick
11-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Doesn't really look like Bahamut's FFXI design.

Alexander is a large (stationary) robot in FFXI as well.

Swordian
11-12-2008, 01:28 PM
According to GAF: "Blood of Bahamut is a DS game, and it's in next week's Jump. But because there's a lack of Nomura involvement, that's about all I can tell you now. People on 2ch with the mag aren't interested!"

Octopus Prime
11-12-2008, 01:30 PM
According to GAF: "Blood of Bahamut is a DS game, and it's in next week's Jump. But because there's a lack of Nomura involvement, that's about all I can tell you now. People on 2ch with the mag aren't interested!"

It's on the DS and there is a lack of Nomura, that's 2 marks for it, in my eyes.

Kirin
11-13-2008, 07:38 AM
Shit yes. Now I'm twice as excited.

(Honestly, I'm not as totally down on Nomura as some folks, but with TWEWY, XIII, KH, etc, we've got enough of him. Something older-style Bahamut/FF-based done by other people on a platform I own? Very yes please.)

mopinks
11-13-2008, 07:41 AM
details and pictures! (http://gonintendo.com/?p=62842)

I'M INTRIGUED.

Zef
11-13-2008, 07:48 AM
The character designs look awfully familiar. Can anyone make out a name in those terribly dithered text boxes?

TheSL
11-13-2008, 07:53 AM
The character designs look awfully familiar.

Looks kind of like the FFXII character designs.

Or Soul Calibur.

Nobuyuki
11-13-2008, 08:47 AM
My interest completely died when I read the word "DS."

TheSL
11-13-2008, 08:49 AM

Whereas for most people here it doubled. I know I have a hard time keeping interest in console RPGs these days.

mopinks
11-13-2008, 09:01 AM
The World Ends With You has created an intense longing within me for more unorthodox handheld RPGs. I hope this one is neat.

Patrick
11-13-2008, 09:03 AM
Looks interesting, but we don't really know anything about the gameplay. I wonder what it means that the giant wakes up during battles?

http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/uploads/74061020081113_135138_0_big.jpg

SpoonyGundam
11-13-2008, 09:09 AM

That's weird. You're weird.

Calorie Mate
11-13-2008, 10:07 AM

I wouldn't say "completely" but I kind of agree. The DS is fine enough, but considering that first gorgeous image linked to, I kind of want this to be something I can really take in on my television.

alexb
11-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Ibuki and Yui, eh? They have a relatively small pool of names for protagonists over in Japan, don't they?

Paul le Fou
11-13-2008, 10:17 AM
It looks kind of like a regular old RPG with a nifty setting. I'll need more details than this.

Coinspinner
11-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Looks like an action RPG. Hmm... =/

nadia
11-13-2008, 02:08 PM
I, for one, am excited for Bahamut times.

nunix
11-13-2008, 02:15 PM
I could swear this isn't the first this has been shown...

In any case, I am down with it.

BEAT
11-13-2008, 02:17 PM
I don't really care for the fruity teenagers, but certain images have convinced that what we really need is a GTA-clone set in a city that's also a giant behemoth.

Zef
11-13-2008, 02:32 PM
I don't really care for the fruity teenagers, but certain images have convinced that what we really need is a GTA-clone set in a city that's also a giant behemoth.

GTA: Ankh-Morpork.

And I'm still trying to figure out why the designer's style looks so familiar. The girl, yeah, she could have come from Soul Calibur, but I'm not so sure...

alexb
11-13-2008, 02:37 PM
More pork?

Egarwaen
11-13-2008, 02:44 PM

That eventually culminates in you hijacking the city and smashing other cities? I can get behind that.

McClain
11-13-2008, 02:49 PM
details and pictures! (http://gonintendo.com/?p=62842)

I'M INTRIGUED.

"4-player local co-op"

That makes me think it's gonna be action-y. I just hope it's good to play alone for us poor, anti-social Americans, and isn't only fun if you play in groups on the bus every day in Japan.

Merus
11-13-2008, 03:19 PM

Funnily enough, I've been mulling over an idea like this for a while. I think crossing the adventure genre with other genres might well make something stronger than the sum of its parts.

BEAT
11-13-2008, 05:16 PM
That eventually culminates in you hijacking the city and smashing other cities? I can get behind that.Hell yes! The city of Leviathan Had it coming! They shoulda known better than to mess with the mean gangs of behemoth!

Zef
11-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Stop it! I'm actually picturing a game where the Espers are the countries themselves, carrying cities and mountains and lakes on their backs, and now I'm all depressed because that game will never exist :(

Octopus Prime
11-13-2008, 05:44 PM

Now that, you see, is an awesome idea.

nunix
11-13-2008, 06:05 PM
I'm just interested in a City Watch game.

* Crimes! Everything from theft-without-license (including protecting the thief from the Thieves Guild) to murder. The little domestic disputes and the big conspiracies.

* Need to get someone off the street but don't have evidence? Pull from a library of time-worn charges (Loitering With Intent), or construct your own (Attempted Savaging By Grapefruit What Is Probably Stolen Anyway). You'll need to convince the suspect of its legality, though.

* Move from a Lance-Constable, patrolling the streets, to an investigative detective, to a Watch House Commander. (nunix note: with mucking around and pulling strings if you want to stay at a particular job, no NEED to advance if you don't want to)

* Hurt? No problem! Igor will fix you right up. Of course, he's not so good at covering up scars...

* Play as a human, dwarf, or troll.

* Unlock special bonus missions where you can play as famous watchmen/women/people/things.

I also have sketches for a History Monks game and a Nac Mac Feegle game.

Octopus Prime
11-13-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm just interested in a City Watch game.

* Crimes! Everything from theft-without-license (including protecting the thief from the Thieves Guild) to murder. The little domestic disputes and the big conspiracies.

* Need to get someone off the street but don't have evidence? Pull from a library of time-worn charges (Loitering With Intent), or construct your own (Attempted Savaging By Grapefruit What Is Probably Stolen Anyway). You'll need to convince the suspect of its legality, though.

* Move from a Lance-Constable, patrolling the streets, to an investigative detective, to a Watch House Commander. (nunix note: with mucking around and pulling strings if you want to stay at a particular job, no NEED to advance if you don't want to)

* Hurt? No problem! Igor will fix you right up. Of course, he's not so good at covering up scars...

* Play as a human, dwarf, or troll.

* Unlock special bonus missions where you can play as famous watchmen/women/people/things.

I also have sketches for a History Monks game and a Nac Mac Feegle game.

I was with you right up until there. What if I want to play as a Zombie, Gnome or Vampire? Honestly, Human, Dwarf and Troll are the most boring races in Discworld.

Ooh! If you're a vampire, there is a side-quest where you have to join the Black Ribbon Society!

nunix
11-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Cos canonically those are pretty rare. I figured you could put those in the bonus missions (so you could just run Angua or Sally or Buggy missions).

Alternatively, you could go Bethesda-style and put zombification in there. if your Will or Belief or something stat is >X and you die, you become a zombie, maybe.

Octopus Prime
11-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Cos canonically those are pretty rare. I figured you could put those in the bonus missions (so you could just run Angua or Sally or Buggy missions).

Alternatively, you could go Bethesda-style and put zombification in there. if your Will or Belief or something stat is >X and you die, you become a zombie, maybe.

There are a fair amount of Gargoyles, though. Golems too, If I recall correctly.

Hell, I'd just hover around Reg and Constable Visit all the time anyway.

nunix
11-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Gargoyles are just stake-out. They sit, they watch, they eat pigeons. Not really compelling gameplay.

The goal would be a police procedural/detective game. I wouldn't want too many superpowers in it in normal gameplay. Just for bonus stuff.

Hell, I'd just hover around Reg and Constable Visit all the time anyway.

* Design your own pamphlets to distribute to fellow watchmen online!

BEAT
11-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Ok, you guys are now talking about simcity with stone birdmonsters.

I guess that's Almost like GTA with a vengeful mobile continent? Almost?

nunix
11-13-2008, 10:02 PM
It's not really anything like that, but that's because I don't care about GTA and anyway Zef started it.

Octopus Prime
11-14-2008, 03:42 AM
I'm just along for the ride since I like the concept.

mopinks
11-17-2008, 10:29 AM
trailer, you guys! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxAdm-QI9Ng)

this looks pretty cool.

O..O~
11-17-2008, 10:44 AM
So it is a diablo shadow of the colossus mashup, at least thats what the trailer seems to convey.

Alixsar
11-17-2008, 10:50 AM
I don't get it. You fight the giant colossus town, while standing on...the giant colossus town? What the hell? Eh, whatever. It's a Squeenix DS RPG. I'm sure it'll be at least decent and push the technical limits of the hardware.

Patrick
11-17-2008, 11:05 AM
That trailor is seriously impressive.

Zef
11-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Hmm. I thought the giant with the shoulder-mountain was supposed to be much bigger, judging from the artwork. In game, it looks smaller than the Third Colossus (and much more brittle, too.)

Can anyone translate the About, System, Characters and Story sections of the newly-launched website? :o

mugenkokoro
11-17-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm intrigued, but it's too early to really say anything definitively. I'm a little skeptical about how the hardware will handle the graphics, and playing Crystal Chronicles on DS left a bad taste in my mouth for Square DS RPGs that put the hardware, but it does sort of look like SotC on DS with a Square twist, which can't be bad, right?

Merus
11-17-2008, 04:25 PM
So it is a diablo shadow of the colossus mashup, at least thats what the trailer seems to convey.

I did not know I wanted this.

Zarathustra
11-17-2008, 06:50 PM
STOP KNOCKING ME OVER GODDAMNIT!

That's what i'm thinking, watching this guy on the screen, getting knocked over.

Fuck! On my top ten pet peeves in gaming. Knockdown. Fuck.

teekun
11-17-2008, 06:52 PM
This looks really impressive. Good on Square-Enix for making a game that isn't just a sequel or spin-off.

Sporophyte
11-17-2008, 10:49 PM
That trailer looks really neat. I'm excited for a new actiony rpg on ds.

Egarwaen
11-18-2008, 08:24 AM
STOP KNOCKING ME OVER GODDAMNIT!

That's what i'm thinking, watching this guy on the screen, getting knocked over.

Fuck! On my top ten pet peeves in gaming. Knockdown. Fuck.

This. :(

Sven
11-18-2008, 09:01 AM
I was with you right up until there. What if I want to play as a Zombie, Gnome or Vampire? Honestly, Human, Dwarf and Troll are the most boring races in Discworld.

Well, the Vampires always seemed like a token concession to the gothier fans out there. Plus, they're too powerful for a game. :)

FWIW, Discworld Noir is about as close as we're ever going to get to a Watch game, even if the Vimes there seems like the Mirror Universe version.