PDA

View Full Version : Weapon of Choice... is what you've got!

ArugulaZ
11-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Soooo... I turn on my Xbox 360 to mess around with the new desktop environment, when lo and behold, I stumble upon a series of "Community Games" which I never knew existed before. The most recent of these titles is Weapon of Choice. I'd never heard of it, couldn't find reviews of it, and didn't even know what the heck it was, so I decided to give it a try.

It turns out that Weapon of Choice is the product of a hot 'n heavy love triangle between Contra, Smash TV, and any given Amiga game (take your pick). The basic gameplay is very Contra-esque, with a side-view perspective and macho, well-armed soldiers spraying down gruesome aliens with imaginative weaponry. However, the control owes a great deal to Smash TV and its predecessor Robotron: 2084. You know the drill... one analog thumbstick moves your character around, and the other controls the direction of your fire. Pressing the left trigger jumps, while the bumpers switch weapons. The Amiga game influence is apparent in the graphics, which are surreal and vibrant to the point of being gaudy. The enemy design is just as bizarre too, with giant scrotums on spider legs being one of the game's most common foes.

So far I don't know what to make of the game. After a way too brief demo, I decided to shell out the five bucks for the full game. It seems interesting enough to make it worth the investment, although I have no idea if the game's various novelties (a backpack that lets you cling to walls and hanging vines, the ability to rescue your fallen comrades) will wear out their welcome after repeated play.

Did anyone else try this game, and if so, what did you think of it?

ArugulaZ
11-19-2008, 05:45 PM
Maybe a YouTube video will spark some conversation about this game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNaxdG2m60w

Balrog
11-19-2008, 06:07 PM
I've been watching the development of this one for a while but the visual style of the game is a gigantic turn off. One good thing about the community games is that I think it will be a good avenue for indie developers doing small 2D projects but sifting through it all is going to be a task.

Shadax
11-19-2008, 06:08 PM
That is so charmingly ugly. I might have to pick up a 1600 point card for this, Hardwood Hearts, and SFIIXCEHDSP

Ben1842
11-19-2008, 06:24 PM
the visual style of the game is a gigantic turn off.

Don't you know "exquisite hand drawn art" when you see it?

cortbassist89
11-19-2008, 06:27 PM
It doesn't look bad.

I'll dl the demo later. And am I the only one who likes the art? :(

Kevin
11-19-2008, 06:53 PM
This game is awesome. I'm going to pick it up as soon as I can put together some time for it.

I'll dl the demo later. And am I the only one who likes the art? :(

I'm really surprised at all the hate the art has been getting. Don't we like unique visual styles and things that aren't brown?

Octopus Prime
11-19-2008, 07:10 PM
It's fugly-as-hell, but in a beautiful way.

Odin
11-19-2008, 07:11 PM
It looks like fun to play, but the art style puts me off. I think the "hideous aliens" are a little too grotesque and not quite "cool" enough for my unique tastes. As mentioned above, the color choice is a bit gaudy at times.

The run-and-gun gameplay and control scheme as described sound good to me, and I might learn to love the art, but alas, I don't have a 360 so I can't play it. :(

EDIT: here's a different trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frl1woD-j2U). It might just be the video, but it looks like the color saturation was tweaked slightly, this one looks a little cleaner and easier on the eyes. I like the look of the gameplay systems (death-dodging!?). The backgrounds are GORGEOUS. That rainbow bubble/shield looks like it'll make it harder to place my character precisely though. Maybe it works better in actual gameplay on a large TV than it looks on a 3x4in. YouTube video.

Shadax
11-19-2008, 07:39 PM
that second trailer, particularly the high quality version, has sold me on at least picking up the demo. It's charming ugly in the same way that Doom Troopers was, and you are a liar if you say those weapons don't look fun.

Kevin
11-19-2008, 09:23 PM
I haven't spent too much time with this so I may be missing something obvious, but you don't have to start from the first level every time you play, right? I got to the mine, quit, and continued, but I didn't seem to be able to select it again from the conflict map.

In exchange for help, I will preemptively offer this tip: You can go left at the beginning! I didn't get too far, but it looks like there are whole other levels over there.

Shadax
11-20-2008, 08:54 AM
I didn't see this game on the Community Games menu. I wonder what I am doing wrong this time.