PDA

View Full Version : AoE: Mythologies

Sven
11-26-2008, 01:55 PM
It's funny - in the interim between me calling the original "the closest we'll ever see to portable Civilization" and the sequel, we got, well, a portable Civ game which hurt quite a bit of the reason for this series to exist.

NEVERTHELESS! I remain excited - in spite of 1up's attempt to pigeon-hole this as a standard "tactics" game a la FFT, aspects of the game such as technology research and resource gathering / management make this far closer to a traditional TBS.

I know I wasn't the only fan of the original, so I'm curious who's picking up the sequel.

One downside that I can see is that they've cut the number of factions down from five to three, but really those were a minor influence on the game the last time beyond the "Joan of Arc = Win" thing.

Octopus Prime
11-26-2008, 01:58 PM
I picked it up, but I'm saving it for a Crimmus present.

But the first was super-awesome, and the sequel looks to be largely the same, so I'm A-Oh-Kay with it.

Little Sampson
11-26-2008, 02:18 PM
I always saw this a more Advance Wars than Civilization. Does Mythologies have any Wi-Fi play?

Sven
11-26-2008, 03:16 PM
I always saw this a more Advance Wars than Civilization. Does Mythologies have any Wi-Fi play?

Well, with Advance Wars, you don't have to worry about things like city placement / defence, economic development, research and resources. In terms of the gameplay (build city, create ability to expand territory, build next city, use spoils to research new techs) the overall arc of gameplay is much closer to Civ than anything else. The scope and pacing are much closer to Advance Wars, but the actual core game itself could have been turned into a very competent Civ clone with only minimal tweaking.

Dadgum Roi
11-26-2008, 03:31 PM
I'm kind of disappointed that this doesn't appear to have any historical grounding.

Red Hedgehog
11-29-2008, 07:35 PM
I will pick this up eventually since the original totally scratched my itch, but I have so many games I need to play, I won't be getting it any time soon. I did notice when I was in a game store the other that the new Tecmo Bowl game is out!