PDA

View Full Version : So So Happy: SNES Multitap

wumpwoast
11-27-2008, 10:18 PM
I finally own one of these monsters, and 3-player Secret of Mana was everything I hoped it could be. Unfortunately the little tile-stepping glitches and invisible bounding-box issues lingered like that foul household odor you'll "deal with when you beat the next boss". :o

One appreciates the relative lack of these bounding-box issues in games like the original Crystal Chronicles. Too bad it made inventory and leveling and other things so much more complicated and tedious...

We'll see if four-player Puyo Puyo is similarly fun. After that and hmm... I only see Micro Machines and Bomberman. Well... ... perhaps I will get a Wii someday. :(

Odin
11-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Bomberman is worth the price of a multitap on its own. The same can be said for Mana. You win!

Sprite
11-27-2008, 10:25 PM
Are they that rare? I've got a third-party one held together with electrical tape. Now that I have Mana on Wii I don't need the multi-tap any more...

David Cartoon
11-27-2008, 11:47 PM
I picked one up at Game Crazy to play Mana with a while ago. Then it crapped out last year. Need to get Mana on VC still, actually.

wumpwoast
11-28-2008, 03:47 AM
You win!

Funny cause I recall my party (with geomancer and bard in tow) losing to you in FFIII.

I picked one up at Game Crazy... Then it crapped out last year

What parts are there to crap out in there? These multitaps are not terribly complex electronics... then again I also bought Ms. Pac Man the other day and it's the only SNES cartridge I've ever seen that just *doesn't work*. Nasty omens....

Sven
11-28-2008, 04:10 AM
5-per-team NHL ruled back in the day, although we only ever did it two or three times because it inevitably degenerated into a chaotic screaming match.

Phantoon
11-28-2008, 04:54 AM
Saturday Night Slam Masters with four players was some of the best fun I had on my SNES. Shame the sequel was so different (and never got converted to anything)

Edit: NBA Jam is great too.

MCBanjoMike
11-28-2008, 07:04 AM
I've had a multitap since back in the day, but outside of one year when I played a lot of 4-player Super Bomberman (so good), I've basically gotten no use out of it. Last year I found a copy of Secret of Mana for $20, which is awesome, but I don't have enough geeky friends locally to actually play it with 3 players. I has the sad.

AGStinger
11-28-2008, 08:47 AM
Saturday Night Slam Masters with four players was some of the best fun I had on my SNES. Shame the sequel was so different (and never got converted to anything)

Edit: NBA Jam is great too.

YES! NBA Jam and Bomberman are the reasons to have one. (personally I was always a bit of a shut-in about my RPGs and never got into multiplayer Mana).

Sven
11-28-2008, 09:04 AM
Oddly, I never got into four-player NBA Jam; the CPU in that game was competent enough that it was probably more fun to play with 2 players than four.

But I guess I was cured of that by the N64, since I loved playing 4-player on Showtime.

CaliScrub
11-28-2008, 11:37 AM
5-per-team NHL ruled back in the day, although we only ever did it two or three times because it inevitably degenerated into a chaotic screaming match.

For a couple years deep in the SNES' heyday, multitap NHL and Bomberman ruled the console room during family gatherings. I don't think we ever devolved into screaming, though.

Phantoon
11-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Saturday Night Slam Masters got a lot of laughing and shouting. Particularly when someone was pinned and was calling for his team mate.

wumpwoast
11-28-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm retarded -- I thought Slam Masters was basketball, not some fun excuse to beat the hell out of each other. And my brother would probably like NBA Jam. They are on "my list".

Sven
11-28-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm retarded -- I thought Slam Masters was basketball, not some fun excuse to beat the hell out of each other. And my brother would probably like NBA Jam. They are on "my list".

It's like the anti-Actraiser, though, in that it's a fusion of two genres that normally produce incredibly fun games (Capcom Fighters and Wrestling), but doesn't really approach the best parts about both, largely because it's pretty freaking unintuitive.

Phantoon
11-28-2008, 02:34 PM
It handles like Final Fight, but with dashes and special moves.

Sample gameplay:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vjBaLrg-ZH0

Not the most impressive display as he uses none of Haggar's moves (Spinning Clothesline / SPD) but it gives you the general idea. Four player is really good. It also has an early design for Blanka as a wrestler.

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/slammasters/slammasters.htm

Hardcore Gaming 101's take on it.

David Cartoon
11-28-2008, 03:54 PM
What parts are there to crap out in there? These multitaps are not terribly complex electronics... then again I also bought Ms. Pac Man the other day and it's the only SNES cartridge I've ever seen that just *doesn't work*. Nasty omens....

What part? I dunno, the multitap just stopped working, so I couldn't get my Mana on with two other people.

...man, that sounds kindy dirty, nevermind.

Kakizaki
11-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Natsume Championship Wrestling is also great 4 player fun on the SNES. It uses the exact same timing based system that Fire Pro uses.

Red Hedgehog
11-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Man, I offered to take advantage of my multi-tap with MoltenBoron for some 3-player Secret of Mana action, but he never took me up on it.

Torgo
11-29-2008, 10:45 PM
I would've come into this thread sooner had I known there was Saturday Night Slam Masters love going around.

High five, guys.

(P.S. Capcom, please get that rated for VC. And Nintendo, don't be retards and reject it like you did Bionic Commando.)

Alixsar
11-30-2008, 12:38 AM
Last year I found a copy of Secret of Mana for $20, which is awesome, but I don't have enough geeky friends locally to actually play it with 3 players. I has the sad.

It's times like these that I get upset that Nintendo has the shittiest online set up of all of the three consoles. It would be extremely easy to make SoM into an online capable game, but it'll never happen since it's only on VC and Nintendo has no desire to make a halfway decent network.

The other time I get upset about this is every time Smash Bros is mentioned ever.

Phantoon
11-30-2008, 01:34 AM
I would've come into this thread sooner had I known there was Saturday Night Slam Masters love going around.

High five, guys.

(P.S. Capcom, please get that rated for VC. And Nintendo, don't be retards and reject it like you did Bionic Commando.)

Wherever I go I bring Slam Masters love with me.

High five.

Red Hedgehog
12-01-2008, 07:40 PM
And Nintendo, don't be retards and reject it like you did Bionic Commando.)

Wha? Is this true? Can I get a source on this?

Torgo
12-02-2008, 02:18 AM
Wha? Is this true? Can I get a source on this?
Here you go (http://www.vc-reviews.com/news/2008/04/bionic_commando_not_coming_to_the_virtual_console) . The article links to both IGN interview with Ben Judd and a quote from Capcom's Christian Svensson.

(The link to the Svensson quote is broken, but I checked it back when the news first broke, and yes, it's legit.)