PDA

View Full Version : That One "Bad" Game You Like

DemoWeasel
11-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Got the idea off of Kohler's admittance to liking Rule of Rose on the Survival Horror episode of Retronauts; what critically panned games do you like? Games that have received immense backlash since their day of release count here as well! I've got two to start with:

killer7 - The batshit insane plot, dialogue, and graphics made me love this game more than I ever thought I could.

Star Fox: Assault - The flight levels were awesome and were boosted by a kick-ass orchestral score. Also, after futzing with the controls for a bit, the on-foot parts seemed okay to me!

Adrenaline
11-30-2008, 10:54 PM
I enjoyed most of Enter the Matrix. Besides the terrible animations outside of combat and all the obvious shit wrong with it.

Brickroad
11-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure.

Yes, the pink is part of the spelling.

BEAT
11-30-2008, 11:00 PM
killer7 - The batshit insane plot, dialogue, and graphics made me love this game more than I ever thought I could.Hell Yes.

Aside from that, Gungrave. Both in original and OD flavors.

Savathun
11-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Obscure: The Aftermath. It's terrible and cheesy but.. man. I had some really good times with that game.

Bongo
11-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Either I have too good taste or too much faith in reviews. The only one that comes to mind is the Pokemon Trading Card Game Video Game, and I'm still not even sure that qualifies.

Torgo
11-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Battle Arena Toshinden.

You heard me.

Mightyblue
11-30-2008, 11:03 PM
Basically Gust's entire output, buuuut if I had to be specific probably the first Atelier Iris.

Torgo
11-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Oh yes, I almost forgot: Red Steel.

SilentSnake
11-30-2008, 11:08 PM
Basically Gust's entire output, buuuut if I had to be specific probably the first Atelier Iris.

I dunno. That one got legitimately good reviews and also happened to be the only legitimately good entry. Mostly because of the awesome item creation system, but the battles were pretty speedy and swell as well.

Also, Quintet is in the credits for some reason? Something about the items?

Sarcasmorator
11-30-2008, 11:10 PM
The Bouncer.

sfried
11-30-2008, 11:12 PM
P.N.03

I am still curious about this game conceptwise, and play it from time to time.

Guy
Castlevania 64. The villa was terrifying.

Sanagi
I played the entire Mega Man Battle Network series, including alternate versions, even though the only really good ones are 2 and 3. And for the most part, I enjoyed them.

I have a soft spot for Milon's Secret Castle even though it's a sadistic nightmare.

Torgo
11-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Games that have received immense backlash since their day of release count here as well!
If the discussion is backlashed games, Metal Gear Solid 2 is the only right answer. Maybe not having played the original works in my favor, but I love MGS2 to pieces. The haters are all wrong.

Oh, and I second The Bouncer.

Eusis
11-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Sonic R.

Does killer7 really count? That seems well enough liked in quite a few circles and got decent reviews for at least the GC version. Or can this be a game you view as pretty bad but like anyway?

DemoWeasel
11-30-2008, 11:18 PM
Or can this be a game you view as pretty bad but like anyway?

Sure, why not?

Warg
11-30-2008, 11:24 PM
I remember having quite a bit of fun with the fight sequences in Hybrid Heaven. And the game is actually quite playable in high-res mode after the first level.

Anonymooo
11-30-2008, 11:26 PM
Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball. I spent weeks playing this game and I honestly have no idea why (besides the obvious).

I also loved Nanobreaker to death.

Balrog
11-30-2008, 11:36 PM
P.N.03I am still curious about this game conceptwise, and play it from time to time.
Yeah, that game is on my list of games I really wish were better.
I also loved Nanobreaker to death.
Yeah, don't feel bad. I like it too.

Kid Kool is a big guilty pleasure, it's like Clash at Demonhead and Super Mario Bros. 2's retarded offspring. Also, Chaos Legion, best $3 I ever spent.

Animate Nihilist
11-30-2008, 11:37 PM
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle for the Gamecubed.

Is that bad? I really don't know anymore.

Eusis
11-30-2008, 11:41 PM
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle for the Gamecubed.

Is that bad? I really don't know anymore.
Circa 2002, sure! Nowadays, I'm pretty sure it looks like Super Mario Sunshine compared to what's followed (possibly exempting Sonic Unleashed?).

But what the heck, I'll throw in any 3D Sonic before Sonic Heroes. Sonic Adventure has not aged well, and I enjoyed playing as Knuckles.

UnChocolate
11-30-2008, 11:43 PM
I thought killer7 got pretty decent reviews.

Urban Reign is pretty mindless fun. I spent weeks doing 2v2 and free for all with some friends, and we even had a tournament.

nunix
11-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Legend of Mana. Only *Mana folk seem to know it, and they all loathe it.

Similarly, my brother loves Secret of Evermore.

I don't know, what's the criteria for this? Do you have to acknowledge that it is, in fact, a crappy game? If that's the case I'll have to think about and revise my entry (since I rather like LOM and don't think it's bad).

Adrenaline
11-30-2008, 11:53 PM
what critically panned games do you like? Games that have received immense backlash since their day of release count here as well!

nunix
11-30-2008, 11:58 PM
Psh, I can't remember what every podunk rag and site rated a game. And this is the internet; somewhere, every game has pages and pages of rants against it.

Mewd
12-01-2008, 12:04 AM
As stated by others already, Killer 7, Rhapsody, and Legend of Mana are guilty pleasures.

Arguably, most of Treasure's platforming lineup.

Also, I love Max Payne 1 and 2. Even though technically it is the same ten minutes of gameplay cycled for the duration of both games.

Bomberman 64. It hasn't aged gracefully, and wasn't very hot to begin with. But it is very charming in spite of being really very shallow and short.

Ingmar Bergman
12-01-2008, 12:07 AM
Bomberman 64. It hasn't aged gracefully, and wasn't very hot to begin with. But it is very charming in spite of being really very shallow and short.

I'll take your Bomberman 64 and raise you one Bomberman Hero.

Brer
12-01-2008, 12:22 AM
Man oh man, where to begin. Most of the entries on my list aren't -universally- regarded as bad games, they're the kind that weren't huge hits and have split audiences:

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth - Dated graphics, clunky shooting controls, inconsistent stealth mechanics, sadistically unfair difficulty, not entirely stable....and also incredibly immersive the first time you play through (the hotel escape sequence really got to me), extremely atmospheric, and with a healing and injury system and damage effects (Greying out from blood loss and some horrific broken bone movement sounds) that are to my mind the best in any game to date. I still love it.

Sierra Adventure Games - I love almost all of them, even Quest For Glory V (at least somewhat) and Gabriel Knight 3 (except for the fact that it feels too abrupt at the end. The first few chapters are GREAT.)

Fallout: Tactics - Yeah, it fucked with canon pretty badly, and it wasn't Van Buren, but you know what? It's a pretty decent turn-based tactics game, and there aren't enough of those.

Phantasmagoria 2 - It scared the shit out of me when it was brand-new, and I found Trevor's Death emotionally affecting.

Pathologic - Just...Pathologic (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=67124).

On a more general note, I -want- to like a lot of quirky, ambitious, but deeply flawed Russian and Eastern European games. I'm actually looking forward to White Gold and the Precursors, for example. One of my gaming dreams is that some rich venture capitalist will decide to invest millions in providing various Russian, Ukranian, Turkish, and so on developers with QA and Localization support to bring their visions to the world...

SpoonyGundam
12-01-2008, 12:29 AM
I say Mega Man X6 every time this topic comes up.

Come to think of it, I had a pretty decent time with plain old Mega Man 6 too.

I guess I just really like sixes.

Tavir
12-01-2008, 12:33 AM
It's widely agreed that all of the 90's Simpsons games aside from the arcade game are complete rubbish, but I actually kinda enjoyed Bart vs. the Space Mutants. Once you get used to the awful control scheme, weird physics, and punishing difficulty...it's kinda sorta almost fun.

Sami
12-01-2008, 12:39 AM
Suikoden IV - remember when Suikoden was fun? Oh, you've forgotten? Damn.

Neo Contra - too awesome for reviewers, and apparently, some Contra "fans".

Wii Sports - obviously soooo shallow, where are my real sports games? Still playing two years later.

Excite Truck - some reviewers even said how fun the game was - yet went on to degrade it on silly things like "no online play".

Helix - sounds to me like reviewers didn't bother learning their way up to "Hard" difficulty.

Flash Focus - it's a non-game, let's mark it down! Never mind the fun arcade gameplay.

Makkara
12-01-2008, 01:08 AM
Xenogears - shoddy localization and severe budget issues aside, this is a really cool RPG where really cool stuff happens. Flying cities, floating cities, buried cities, a couple of other cities and giant robots beating up dinosaurs. Also, excellent music.

Castlevania: Lament of Innocence - what can I say? I like Castlevania, and I like grinding. Also, excellent music.

Banjo-Kazooie - I'm replaying this emulated right now, and it's still pretty fun. Going into a level, collecting every last knick-knack, tchotchke and whatsit is really very satisfying. While it lacks Super Mario 64's finesse, level design and charm, it has one huge advantage: you only have to do each level once. Also, um, context-sensitive music.

`Hrist
12-01-2008, 01:34 AM
Oh good, nobody has said Final Fantasy VIII yet. (http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?publicUserId=5725436&bId=8920698)

ringworm
12-01-2008, 02:53 AM
Oh good, nobody has said Final Fantasy VIII yet. (http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?publicUserId=5725436&bId=8920698)
I used to think you were cool.

spineshark
12-01-2008, 02:57 AM
Anything by tri-Ace after Valkyrie Profile. Radiata Stories, Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean 3, and especially Silmeria.

Final Fantasy X-2, of course. Decent and good reviews, of course, but always a substantially negative fan reaction.

Maybe the general reviewer consensus on these is actually better than I think, but Shinobi and Nightshade on PS2 are quite awesome.

Senko no Ronde got terrible reviews, but I love the vs. mode and Story is reasonably entertaining as well. I agree that it's not worth $60 to most people, but at the same time "value" is a really slippery concept for games and it's cheap now.

Also on the shooter front, I'm really enjoying the extremely divisive Battle Garegga. One one side it's considered a masterpiece, while it's widely loathed for being extremely obtuse, complicated, and difficult. Both sides are right! If nothing else, the art design (a wonderfully coherent WWII-esque theme, though the setting and plot are complete fiction) and music make it well worth some time. Dimahoo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-eNBueHvQ0) is pretty much universally hated in the community though, and even though the mechanics are kind of cheap and ridiculous, I love the hell out of the game.

Phantoon
12-01-2008, 02:59 AM
Star Gladiator / Plasma Sword. It's like Street Fighter and Soul Calibur made sweet sweet love. Not very balanced, but I'm very fond of them for some reason.

Octopus Prime
12-01-2008, 04:11 AM
I don't know why I love P.N.03 as much as I do, but, By God, there it is!

`Hrist
12-01-2008, 04:17 AM
I used to think you were cool.

I'm still cool. I just happen to carry a dark and terrible secret.

Ganietzsche
12-01-2008, 04:36 AM
I know Lemmings is more maligned on the basis of things such as a single version being ubiquitious on zillions of consoles and double-dipped into infinty, as well as being part of that early 90s European glut of ugly (and mostly bad) games, rather than its actual gameplay. But yeah, most people don't think its crash hot. I on the other hand love delegating jobs to those Disney-false-stereotype perpetuators as I guide them through Roger Dean style landscapes.

Sprite
12-01-2008, 04:43 AM
Donkey Kong 64, if only because it finally gave us an authentic arcade port of Donkey Kong. Does that count?

It'll make me buy the game when it comes out on Virtual Console, so I think it counts.

Phantoon
12-01-2008, 04:43 AM
I know Lemmings is more maligned on the basis of things such as a single version being ubiquitious on zillions of consoles and double-dipped into infinty, as well as being part of that early 90s European glut of ugly (and mostly bad) games, rather than its actual gameplay. But yeah, most people don't think its crash hot. I on the other hand love delegating jobs to those Disney-false-stereotype perpetuators as I guide them through Roger Dean style landscapes.

I don't think that anyone dislikes Lemmings. I used to just hit the nuke button to make 'em all explode. Then load the level and then do it again.

OH NO!

taidan
12-01-2008, 05:36 AM
I can get on board with quite a few games mentioned. I'm going to add that I quite enjoy Bullet Witch.

mrbuu82
12-01-2008, 06:07 AM
I remember having quite a bit of fun with the fight sequences in Hybrid Heaven. And the game is actually quite playable in high-res mode after the first level.

I rented Hybrid Heaven once and really enjoyed it, but I could never find it for sale. It's good to know that their unique fighting system was appreciated by someone else.

Speaking of appreciating odd genres, I think the beat-'em-up/shoot-'em-up/drive-'em-up needs to make a return. I love The Adventures of Bayou Billy and would love to see more games like it (possibly with a reduced difficulty level).

Austintatious
12-01-2008, 06:09 AM

I agree. Did you play through the adventure mode? It's very bland, but strangely I didn't hate it, even for a second.

Alright, I have a new one to throw to the table.

*ahem*

Pit Fighter.

nunix
12-01-2008, 06:10 AM
I don't know why I love P.N.03 as much as I do, but, By God, there it is!

http://oc-gamer.moobaa.com/pix/P.N.03.gif

(skankiness aside, the gameplay is pretty solid)

mrbuu82
12-01-2008, 06:14 AM
Pit Fighter.

You're talking about the arcade game, right?

Loki
12-01-2008, 06:25 AM
Yeah yeah Legend of Mana, Banjo-Kazooie, etc etc.

I really love Herdy Gerdy, which as you may remember, was a game about chasing animals into pens. Everyone hates it except me.

MCBanjoMike
12-01-2008, 06:40 AM
I will absolutely back up Final Fantasies VIII and X-2 as totally sweet games. As for actual bad games that I like, most of them are probably from my PC days, before I read reviews (and when I would just pirate anything I wanted to play anyway). I loved The 7th Guest when it came out, although today it would be regarded as the worst kind of crappy FMV game. I'm also a staunch supporter of Wing Commander: Prophecy, which most people are pretty contemptuous of. But it isn't bad! The flight engine was smooth as silk, the combat was fast and fun and the enemy ships were shaped like fish; what's not to like? OK, the story was pretty awful, but you can say that about any Wing Commander game after the advent of Mark Hamill in the role of Bluehair.

Loki
12-01-2008, 06:46 AM
Oh! Speaking of Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy 2, when played on PSP or DS with the gameplay fixes, is pretty darn good and I will defend it till the end of time.

TheSL
12-01-2008, 06:47 AM
Oh! Speaking of Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy 2, when played on PSP or DS with the gameplay fixes, is pretty darn good and I will defend it till the end of time.

Its not terrible, just a time sink for how long you have to grind to get your spells to do any damage.

Loki
12-01-2008, 07:07 AM
I disagree. I played through the game this summer and beat it with no grinding what-so ever. The trick it to rely on elemental weaknesses and status spells.

Curse is love.

McDohl
12-01-2008, 07:33 AM
Battle Arena Toshinden.

You heard me.

Seconded. Toshinden is awesome, in its complete non-cohesiveness.

Also: Chrono Cross. Apparently it's all hip and cool to beat on this game now. I need to go replay it to see if it stands the test of time (no pun intended), but I definitely remember loving the game at the time.

And Secret of Evermore. Which is weird since I didn't like Secret of Mana very much.

Hughtron
12-01-2008, 07:50 AM
JOHN WOO'S STRANGLEHOLD

KNOW IT

LOVE IT

Adrenaline
12-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Banjo-Kazooie - I'm replaying this emulated right now, and it's still pretty fun. Going into a level, collecting every last knick-knack, tchotchke and whatsit is really very satisfying. While it lacks Super Mario 64's finesse, level design and charm, it has one huge advantage: you only have to do each level once. Also, um, context-sensitive music.

I'm fairly certain that game makes you return to a level with a new move as often as Mario 64.

Zodar
12-01-2008, 07:59 AM
gonna second MMX6. at least it had the best music of the PSX megamen!

Torgo
12-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Also, I love Max Payne 1 and 2. Even though technically it is the same ten minutes of gameplay cycled for the duration of both games.
Max Payne is fantastic. I didn't really like the second one's plot (the "Lords & Ladies" snippets were, by a wide margin, the most interesting thing in the game), but it refined the original's mechanics to a science and was a blast to play.

Similarly, stripper minigame aside, I love Dead to Rights. Gamecube version, please.

Yes, I also enjoyed X6. I'm not too sure how I managed it, but I did.

Excite Truck - some reviewers even said how fun the game was - yet went on to degrade it on silly things like "no online play".
Best Wii launch title, and one of the best racers I've played in years.

Makkara
12-01-2008, 08:52 AM
I'm fairly certain that game makes you return to a level with a new move as often as Mario 64.

It does so exactly once. You need a move from the snow level to get everything on the desert level and vice versa. Of course, the solution is to simply pop into either level, get the move and pop out. Takes about a minute.

But that's not really what I'm talking about. The main difference is that you can get all the jiggies from a level in one go, whereas you're thrown out of the level every time you collect a star in SM64.

Adrenaline
12-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Oh, yeah.

Tanto
12-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Baten Kaitos Origins is one of my favorite RPGs ever. Standard JRPG fare? Maybe, but I love it for some reason.

I also seem to like the Donkey Kong Country games more than most.

Pajaro Pete
12-01-2008, 09:33 AM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b291/ichigofrost/saga_frontier.jpg
(The entire SaGa series, actually)
:o

Also: Rhapsody and it's sisters, Legend of Mana

Traumadore
12-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Guys Secret of Evermore is officially a better single player game than Secret of Mana.

I'm gonna second Fallout Tactics. There is no game quite like it. If cruising around in a jeep pulling doughnuts on scavs while plugging away with a machine gun on full auto is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Also sneaking up on a guy and ripping him in half like a phonebook with your hands.

Bongo
12-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Huh. I didn't realize Banjo-Kazooie was not well-regarded.

Adrenaline
12-01-2008, 10:04 AM
It was liked just fine. Some people are Doing It Wrong.

Sven
12-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Every time we do this, I have the same answer:

Captain Skyhawk.

Patrick
12-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Huh. I didn't realize Banjo-Kazooie was not well-regarded.

I always thought it was, but recently I've seen a lot of hate for the series. I always saw Donkey Kong Country 2 as a timeless classic though, so what do I know.

Bongo
12-01-2008, 10:14 AM
I always saw Donkey Kong Country 2 as a timeless classic though, so what do I know.
Donkey Kong Country 2 is like a textbook of level design: bland but correct.

Patrick
12-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Donkey Kong Country 2 is like a textbook of level design: bland but correct.

But I like it!

Bongo
12-01-2008, 10:18 AM
But I like it!

Me too! Actually, I like that entire series. Go figure.

KCar
12-01-2008, 10:26 AM
I'm gonna second Fallout Tactics. There is no game quite like it. If cruising around in a jeep pulling doughnuts on scavs while plugging away with a machine gun on full auto is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Also sneaking up on a guy and ripping him in half like a phonebook with your hands.

Tell me more!

Sanagi
12-01-2008, 10:34 AM
It's not a bad game.

Stick-tongue-out-emoticon.

Admittedly, it'd be a lot better if you could skip the cutscenes. But so would every RPG.

Ingmar Bergman
12-01-2008, 10:36 AM

I'll take your X6 and raise you one X7! That's a game that I absolutely will acknowledge as bad but still find fascinating and weirdly enjoyable anyway.

Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2, Banjo-Kazooie - these games are not bad. They just aren't, okay? They're not "bad" games I like, they're "stupidly backlashed-upon" games I like.

Matchstick
12-01-2008, 10:46 AM
I really love Herdy Gerdy, which as you may remember, was a game about chasing animals into pens. Everyone hates it except me.

I don't hate it! (Neither does Dave Halverson :S ) I do, however, hate the fucking camera in that game.

I'm also a fan of FFVIII and X-2, Banjo-Kazooie and various others listed here already. I'm not sure what unique title I'd come up with that would fit the critera. This is not to say that I don't have any, just that I don't have one to offer off the top of my head.

Sven
12-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Admittedly, it'd be a lot better if you could skip the cutscenes.

The summons were more annoying than the cutscenes - I mean, at least the cutscenes provided story. The Summons were just lengthy excuses to show off their graphical wangs.

Really, the GAME isn't bad - the story's certainly no less ridiculous than any other in the series (even XII, after Vaan was shoehorned in there) - it's just that the whole magic system is borderline broken. And they could've handled the "difficulty proportionate to level" thing better.

JCDenton
12-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Games like DKC aren't bad, they were just undeserving of their popularity.

Bad games I like:

Legend of Kage NES: Maybe all I could see was the sequel potential, but I liked it.

Zone of the Enders 1: I had already played 2, so the original should have been super painful, but the basic mechanics were in place and I generally enjoyed the 3 hours it took to beat it.

Tomm Guycot
12-01-2008, 11:05 AM
the second N64 Castlevania

Andrew
12-01-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm going to include a lot of choices I've said over and over again.

Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness - much improved remix/prequel to Castlevania (N64). Loved the level designs, variety of characters, levels, play styles, and of course there's the Villa. I've beaten the game with each character, too. :)

Final Fight: Streetwise - the game got a really bad rep long before it came out. It doesn't really bring the original final fight home with it (the arcade mode is terrible, the emulated Final Fight arcade game is really really pathetic, too), but it's fun in its own right as a stupid, fun 1 player beat 'em up. I really dug the over-the-top dialogue, stupid mini-games, and hacking up schoolgirls with swords and shotgunning glow-headed zombies.

Anything by tri-Ace after Valkyrie Profile. Radiata Stories, Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean 3, and especially Silmeria.

I've actually just started to get into Infinite Undiscovery. Being a fan of Kingdom Hearts, I like real-time action in my RPGs. However, talk about crappy opening chapters... :p

Maybe the general reviewer consensus on these is actually better than I think, but Shinobi and Nightshade on PS2 are quite awesome.

Senko no Ronde got terrible reviews, but I love the vs. mode and Story is reasonably entertaining as well. I agree that it's not worth $60 to most people, but at the same time "value" is a really slippery concept for games and it's cheap now.

I didn't like Shinobi's ridiculous pit-i-ness, but Nightshade I found satisfying. Although Nightshade is hated among even the Shinobi fans who liked Shinobi PS2.

Senke no Ronde was well worth the 10 bucks I picked it up for. :)

Also, while I haven't finished it yet, I liked PN03, and the ass is not a reason why! Creative, unique gameplay. Too bad the enviros are mostly so bland and non-shooter controls are so iffy.

Loki
12-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Radiata Stories. I respect a game with an unique art style and this game has two. Plus, between run and walk there is the power walk.

Phantoon
12-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Every time we do this, I have the same answer:

Captain Skyhawk.

Wait, people say that's bad? Seconded.

Do people rate Snake Rattle and Roll? If not, that too.

Calorie Mate
12-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Has anyone else played Monster Party on NES? Because that's my answer.

Andrew
12-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning - I pretty much rented it because of "new spyro game" + "new developer" = hope for a good game.

The production values are good (Gary Oldman, Elijah Wood, and David Spade star, plus other excellent voice actors like Cree Summer, Phil Lamarr, Kevin Michael Richardson, and Corey Burton are in it), and pretty much made the game for me (I completed it on a rental). Too bad the gameplay is Spyro of War with plenty of tedious and repetitive deaths. =/

alexb
12-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Radiata Stories. I respect a game with an unique art style and this game has two. Plus, between run and walk there is the power walk.

Yeah, that made me laugh. The game just sort of ended, though, didn't it? Not much of an ending for all of that.

SilentSnake
12-01-2008, 11:23 AM

That's more along the lines of a decent game no one remembers.

Yes I own it.

Zef
12-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Now, I don't think they're bad, but popular opinion might say otherwise:

Final Fantasy VIII.
Final Fantasy X-2.
Chrono Cross.
Parasite Eve 2.
Zone of the Enders 1.
Tetris DS (infinite roll!)

Brickroad
12-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Games like DKC aren't bad, they were just undeserving of their popularity.

Is DKC even popular? I don't think I've ever seen a positive thing said about it anywhere on the internet.

Balrog
12-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Radiata Stories had moxie.
That's my best friend's favorite game, it's a mystery to me.

What's up with people putting Secret of Evermore on their list? I thought the hive mind liked it as a whole.

Sven
12-01-2008, 11:30 AM

I've heard stuff like "shitty knock-off of Afterburner mixed with shitty zaxxon knock-off", which is really missing the point.

Tetris DS (infinite roll!)

Well, that's stupid, but it certainly wasn't the GAME'S fault.

Traumadore
12-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Tell me more!

Busting into a tiny room with three guys high on super-drugs, pounding beastmen into pulp with gloves that fire shotgun shells point blank?

Running like hell through a boobie-trapped bomb shelter to kill a roach the size of a mercedes? ROACHOR!

Gibbing supermutants with appropriated anti-vehicle mines?

This game has it all!

Andrew
12-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Is DKC even popular? I don't think I've ever seen a positive thing said about it anywhere on the internet.

Yes it is. It's just that the haters have recently become more vocal and obnoxious. Plus, since Rare was sold to Microsoft, "they always sucked anyway" has been a common Nintendo fanboy utterance.

DKC3 is honestly a bloated mess of collect-ables and DK 64 is pretty bad, though, and probably tainted a lot of folks' memories of the original games.

Calorie Mate
12-01-2008, 11:38 AM
That's more along the lines of a decent game no one remembers.

Yes I own it.

Hmm, when was the last time you played it? I think it's too rough-around-the-edges to be considered "decent". I love it to death, though.

ArugulaZ
12-01-2008, 11:54 AM
I have an inexplicable fondness for Rambo on the NES. It's like watching the movie while sitting in a freshly painted room without windows. Rambo fights moths and flamingo skeletons with a combat knife. His most dangerous enemies have inflatable heads. When Rambo talks to his girlfriend, she dies, and when he returns from Vietnam, he has the power to turn his superior officers into toads. It's completely bizarre, and the game itself isn't even all that great, but it's still one of the defining moments of my early gaming career. The soundtrack in particular is still burned into my brain after all these years... it's catchy, has a driving beat, and fits the setting especially well.

Ample Vigour
12-01-2008, 11:59 AM

Do people rate Snake Rattle and Roll? If not, that too.

SR&R was the first game I thought of when Skyhawk was mentioned. The two must have been featured in the same Nintendo Power or something.

JCDenton
12-01-2008, 12:00 PM

I don't know if it still is, particularly amongst certain circles, but it sold extremely well and was considered one of the best games on the system for a while.

Ample Vigour
12-01-2008, 12:06 PM
I don't know if it still is, particularly amongst certain circles, but it sold extremely well and was considered one of the best games on the system for a while.

A widely hated game that was once lauded for its graphics and gameplay (neither of which have aged well?)

DKC is the SNES's Battletoads.

Phantoon
12-01-2008, 12:06 PM
I like DKC. I can't help but think a lot of the venom is due to sour grapes (and DK64. Man that game blew)

JCDenton
12-01-2008, 12:08 PM
At least DKC's music is good.

Oh, and I don't regret the 60 hours I put into DK64. Much.

taidan
12-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Wait, people say that's bad? Thirded!

Ingmar Bergman
12-01-2008, 12:11 PM
There's nothing wrong with the gameplay in DKC (and its sequel). It's a solid platformer with tight controls and good level design.

I agree about DKC3 and DK64 being pretty sub-par, though.

Tavir
12-01-2008, 12:16 PM
I'll never understand the DKC hate. Sure, it copied everything it does from other games, but at least it copied them pretty darn well. It's not a great game, but it is a good game, and still a lot of fun to go through. And DKC2 improved on the (admittedly copied) formula on every front and crosses the threshold to greatness, in my opinion. (DKC3 not so much, though)

Patrick
12-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2, Banjo-Kazooie - these games are not bad. They just aren't, okay? They're not "bad" games I like, they're "stupidly backlashed-upon" games I like.

I guess that's a whole different discussion then. The mass internet opinion seems to have turned on 90's Rare though.

I guess I haven't played that many bad games then. Most of the games that I would list as favorites are either widely recognized as classics, or are beloved cult classics.

KCar
12-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Busting into a tiny room with three guys high on super-drugs, pounding beastmen into pulp with gloves that fire shotgun shells point blank?

Running like hell through a boobie-trapped bomb shelter to kill a roach the size of a mercedes? ROACHOR!

Gibbing supermutants with appropriated anti-vehicle mines?

This game has it all!

Looks like GOG is getting more of my money.

I don't really mind though.

UnChocolate
12-01-2008, 12:33 PM
You people are weird. DKC2 is easily one of the finest 2d platformers out there.

Evil Dead Junkie
12-01-2008, 12:39 PM

I will say this your article did remind me that the opening is still pretty cool.

Balrog
12-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Has anyone else even played Kid Kool? :(

alexb
12-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Didn't he used to huff model airplane glue after school with Kid Chameleon and Kid Niki?

Sven
12-01-2008, 01:44 PM
I'll never understand the DKC hate. Sure, it copied everything it does from other games, but at least it copied them pretty darn well.

The main reason I hated it is that it always felt so needlessly over-animated, and therefore just slow. I think everyone who grew up on the Mario games sort of instinctively dislikes it for that reason.

(Just like Earthworm Jim in that regard, actually - as we were talking about, over-animation seems to have been a very European design element in the 90s, although it certainly wasn't confined to them)

Phantoon
12-01-2008, 01:59 PM
The main reason I hated it is that it always felt so needlessly over-animated, and therefore just slow. I think everyone who grew up on the Mario games sort of instinctively dislikes it for that reason.

(Just like Earthworm Jim in that regard, actually - as we were talking about, over-animation seems to have been a very European design element in the 90s, although it certainly wasn't confined to them)

Don't hate us because we're beautiful

cartman414
12-01-2008, 02:32 PM
My DKC angst at the time had to do with that game getting more attention than the sublime revamp of Donkey Kong for the Game Boy earlier that year.

Issun
12-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Conquest of the Crystal Palace for the NES and The Addams Family for the SNES weren't so much panned as ignored. I love them both, though.

Also, it's been ten years and we're still arguing over Xenogears and Final Fantasy VIII? I don't know if that says more about the games themselves or the internet that just won't let it go.

(Happy post #1000 to me. Am I cool now?)

Azar
12-01-2008, 02:42 PM
I haven't played DK64 in half a decade, but I will freely admit I ate that shit up when I was a kid. I think I got 100% twice. I guess I just really loved bananas.

Phat
12-01-2008, 02:46 PM
David Wise is a human giant.

P.N.03 is not just okay it is amazing.

killer7 is also not a guilty pleasure, some people just don't like things that are cool.

No, mine's Altered Beast.

DemoWeasel
12-01-2008, 02:48 PM
I haven't played DK64 in half a decade, but I will freely admit I ate that shit up when I was a kid. I think I got 100% twice. I guess I just really loved bananas.

The things we put ourselves through as kids are insane.

Phantoon
12-01-2008, 02:51 PM
I like Tuff E Nuff. A lot. Why couldn't they have kept the name as Dead Dance so that confession doesn't sound so shameful?

Guy
12-01-2008, 03:04 PM
I don't remember much about DK64 except the final boss battle was excellent. Nobody can take that memory away from me.

Ingmar Bergman
12-01-2008, 03:11 PM

No way, Mario games run deep in my veins. To the point where I've had trouble playing many other side-scrollers with different physics, such as Mega Man titles and Littlebigplanet. I haven't had any trouble with DKC games, though, possibly because they are also in my veins.

Calorie Mate
12-01-2008, 03:19 PM
No, mine's Altered Beast.

Oh, most definitely (and more specifically: the Genesis version).

CaliScrub
12-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Bad games I like:

Legend of Kage NES: Maybe all I could see was the sequel potential, but I liked it.

Seconded. I don't know what it is... maybe it had something to do with the fact that I didn't know back then that Kage was pronounced "ka-geh" and not "cage", and I just found it hilarious that some dude named Cage was going around killing ninja.

Rascally Badger
12-01-2008, 03:31 PM
P.N. 03 feels like a game that got its financial rug pulled out from under it when they were half done and they released it anyway. Its on my list of "games that do not deserve sequels but I wish would get them anyway."

I kinda like Breath of Fire 2, mostly because I can have a party with a monkey, a frog, and an armadillo. Who cares if no piece of dialogue makes sense, armadillos kick ass. My love of ridiculous parties also blinds me to the faults of Chrono Cross's too numerous cast.

Tavir
12-01-2008, 03:53 PM
I don't remember much about DK64 except the final boss battle was excellent. Nobody can take that memory away from me.

It really was a great final boss. It's such a shame that the rest of the game is so stupidly mediocre and boring.

Tomm Guycot
12-01-2008, 04:17 PM
DKC is the SNES's Battletoads.

This is the most ludicrous statement ever on Talking Time.

Battletoads was insanely challening.

A blind infant could eventually beat DKC on a weekend rental

Thraeg
12-01-2008, 04:52 PM

Nope. I always loved the Mario games, but had no problem enjoying DKC. It's not the best platformer on the system, but still worth playing.

I'll also second the mentions of Fallout Tactics. It often gets lumped in with that console action-RPG as a disastrous spin-off, but I had a great time with it. The story and atmosphere weren't quite on the level of the first two games, but the intricate turn-based squad tactics more than made up for it.

Kororinpa: Marble Mania got written off by most reviewers as a generic 6/10 Monkey Ball clone, but it's still on my shortlist for favorite Wii game. It just nails the controls and motion extremely well, and tops it off with excellent, truly 3D level design and pleasant aesthetics.

I also liked Blue Dragon way more than most, but that's kind of cheating because I only played it with the downloadable hard mode, which makes the combat almost SMT-like in parts, in terms of difficulty and requirement for smart tactics.

Oh, and Legacy of the Wizard is one that I don't recall ever seeing anyone say a kind word about, but its great music and proto-metroidvania exploration entranced me.

There's probably more, but I'll stop there.

UnChocolate
12-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Oh, most definitely (and more specifically: the Genesis version).
Wise fwom yo gwaaaaave.

I seriously think the guy was channeling Elmer Fudd.

ArugulaZ
12-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Has anyone else even played Kid Kool? :(

Sure have. I've played Psycho Fox and Decapattack with Chuck D. Head too. They're all essentially the same game with different levels and title characters.

Ample Vigour
12-01-2008, 05:37 PM
This is the most ludicrous statement ever on Talking Time.

Battletoads was insanely challening.

A blind infant could eventually beat DKC on a weekend rental

DKC was plenty hard for some of us. :(

Ingmar Bergman
12-01-2008, 05:39 PM
I think DKC is pretty average in its difficulty, but DKC2 gets quite challenging.

Dadgum Roi
12-01-2008, 06:22 PM
Lost in Blue. It's hard as fuck, tedious as fuck, and Jesus can those kids pack away the grub*. But the theme is so unique and cool, I put up with it.

*Once I had the boy eat an entire goddamn warthog, and that filled up half of his health meter! NOM NOM NOM The secret is figuring out recipes that make the food tastier and thus replenish more health.

Merus
12-01-2008, 06:32 PM
I'll tolerate people talking smack about DKC 1 and 3, but 2 was fantastic. Challenging, creative and something else that starts with C. Also it had pirates.

Battletoads was insanely cheap.

Fixed that for you, Tomm.

Alex Scott
12-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Has anybody mentioned Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest? Because that.

Also, I knew a guy who loved Final Fantasy II. Yeah, that Final Fantasy II.

Eusis
12-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Alright, since it's brought to mind I'm also going to chime in with a fondness for Final Fantasy VIII. I expected to hate it, asked for it for Christmas more out of some sense that I should have it, then after putting a few hours into it ignored it until the following summer at which point I tore through the game. Meanwhile I had gotten Final Fantasy Anthology immediately or shortly after it came out and was bored by Final Fantasy V, despite being really hyped up for it. The crappy porting job and translation could be just as much to blame as expecting too much from a lost 16-bit title.

Bongo
12-01-2008, 07:12 PM
I... also didn't know that Final Fantasy VIII was regarded poorly. Put me on that train as well.

Fer
12-01-2008, 08:01 PM
DK Jr Math

DemoWeasel
12-01-2008, 08:09 PM
DK Jr Math

I.. I don't understand.

Indalecio
12-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Has anybody mentioned Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest? Because that.

Yeah, I meant it wasn't terrible or anything, and the music was great.

I also liked Banjo-Kazooie, Final Fantasy VIII and DKC, but these have been mentioned already. So..

Unlimited Saga - Does something incredibly different from other games, and is pretty barebones at the same time, so I can see why this wasn't exactly popular. For some reason, I liked the fact that I didn't know what I was doing and every time I found some knew twist or tweak to make the party stronger was incredibly satisfying. The storylines were pretty original to boot in most cases, and gave just enough information to leave me curious for more. The item crafting got a little tedious at times, especially when forging damascus armors, especially needing to save scum if you wasted your hard-won materials, but it wasn't something you needed to do constantly.

Breath of Fire - Dragon Quarter - Once again, another hard game, which doled out story and powerups just often enough to keep it interesting. Plus you had limited inventory, so it was always tough balancing having to throw away stuff versus keeping it. As far as the storyline goes, there were a few plot holes here and there, but I genuinely cared for Nina, and wanted to keep her safe, and the time-limit gave my own character a stake in things as well.

sfried
12-01-2008, 08:43 PM
I think DKC is pretty average in its difficulty, but DKC2 gets quite challenging.
People are going to hate me for saying this.

But I absolutely love DKC2. Sometimes even moreso than Yoshi's Island. Perhaps it is because of the challenge in the main game.

Merus
12-01-2008, 08:50 PM
I liked how Mystic Quest had different animations depending on how hurt the monster were. It is a nice touch.

Ingmar Bergman
12-01-2008, 09:07 PM
But I absolutely love DKC2. Sometimes even moreso than Yoshi's Island.

http://www.rightcrazy.com/wp-content/uploads/jawdrop.jpg

I love DKC2 and all, but Yoshi's Island is my favorite game of all time.

DemoWeasel
12-01-2008, 09:09 PM

Where did you find this?

Riot.EXE
12-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Urban Reign isn't a masterpiece by any means...but everytime I break it out at a friends house when there's 4 or more of us...a good time is had.

ArugulaZ
12-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Urban Reign? That's the Namco beat 'em up, right? I thought that was really ambitious, and better than most of its competitors (particularly Final Fight Streetwise). The fighting system in particular is quite ingenious, letting you target specific areas of your enemies' bodies. I just wish Urban Reign had a little more meat to it... all you do is fight an endless procession of thugs, including several that keep popping up throughout the game.

sfried
12-01-2008, 10:23 PM

I love DKC2 and all, but Yoshi's Island is my favorite game of all time.
Y.I. just feels more guided by the hand for me.

I like just stumbling into secrets (especially the walk through walls portions) out of the blue. To me, it really enhances the experience of discovery, whereas Y.I. has it all laid before you (with numerous level exceptions, but they are usually treated as gimmick areas rather than something to be constantly on the lookout for, as if the developer were playing tricks).

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing like playing Y.I. It's just that DKC2 edges it out a little with a little bit more in the cleaver level design department. That, and the ambiance that the music brought. I played this game first without having built a mindset of a person who has played the previous DKC (which, IMO, feels rather flat compared to the grandness of DKC2).

mugenkokoro
12-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Lost Odyssey. Yes, the loading times are long, yes it blatantly rips off FFIV in so many ways, yes it feels like it should have come out in 2004, yes the kids are annoying as fuck, yes it's absurd that it comes on 4 DVDs, etc etc... But!

--Kaim is one of my favorite RPG protagonists in a long time. He starts out as a brooding Cloud/Squall-type Gooch stereotype, but between how he grows as a person during the game, what we see of him in the dreams, and his general attitudes about humanity after 1000 years of bullshit, I not only related with him really well, but I genuinely wanted to see good things happen to him.

--The music is solid, even though they repeat a lot of tracks.

--The Thousand Years of Dreams, while presented like something from a game from the 90s (or even the 80s), are incredibly moving. I found myself crying to several of these little vignettes, and they really fleshed out the game for me.

--Jansen. 'Nuff said.
Edit: Actually, relatedly, this game has some pretty good voice acting in general, for most of the characters anyway.

--The fact that they do the ballsy thing and kill off debatebly the coolest character in the game.

UnChocolate
12-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Y.I. just feels more guided by the hand for me.

I like just stumbling into secrets (especially the walk through walls portions) out of the blue. To me, it really enhances the experience of discovery, whereas Y.I. has it all laid before you (with numerous level exceptions, but they are usually treated as gimmick areas rather than something to be constantly on the lookout for, as if the developer were playing tricks).

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing like playing Y.I. It's just that DKC2 edges it out a little with a little bit more in the cleaver level design department. That, and the ambiance that the music brought. I played this game first without having built a mindset of a person who has played the previous DKC (which, IMO, feels rather flat compared to the grandness of DKC2).

I've been linking Sirlin articles waaay too often lately, but this is pretty relevant.
http://sirlin.dreamhosters.com/archive/hiding-secrets-in-platform-games/

Tomm Guycot
12-01-2008, 10:43 PM
re: DKC

If you didn't try to find all 101% the game was not difficult. Bosses all required the same strategy to beat, and the levels (again, not searching for hidden stuff) were not that hard. Unless you were a completionist, the game was not hard.

Battletoads, even using every warp zone to skip like half the game, was hard. Cheap maybe, but hard. So even if you are NOT a completionist, Battletoads will make you cry.

That's why saying they're "the same" is a big crazy.

Badinage
12-01-2008, 11:16 PM
I enjoyed The Bouncer when I played it. I thought it was at least a decent brawler.

Ingmar Bergman
12-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Where did you find this?

Google image search for "jaw drop".

sfried, I suppose I can see where you are coming from. My preference for Yoshi's Island has to do mostly with its immense wealth of creativity - the fact that pretty much every level is filled with clever new ideas.

Also, in the event that you haven't seen this amazing bit of DKC2 love: http://www.teamgenius.biz/boyfriends/index.php?v=10

Merus
12-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Sirlin's DKC2 article makes a lot of sense to me. Frankly, games can't be too hard and still appeal to a wide range of players. Not every gamer has the patience to dedicate to a Contra, say, and many particularly older gamers are keenly aware that they have other commitments, and so if they're held back by a game they'll simply quit and play something that won't waste their precious gaming time.

So games that have a relatively soft path of least resistance with lots of additional, substantial challenges on the side satisfy a wide range of players. (The one major type they don't satisfy are the masochists, who want to be held back by a game and want the challenge right up front. Your friend and mine GnaM was one of these guys, and this was his chief complaint about Mario Galaxy.)

Sanagi
12-01-2008, 11:55 PM
DK Jr Math
Due to the vs. mode, it wasn't the worst math game ever.

Except that no one will ever play it with you, so I guess it is.

Zodar
12-02-2008, 12:53 AM
Two Worlds is pretty much Oblivion: Poor People Edition, and i love it for that

Oblivion is a bland, aggressively mediocre game with ugly sweaty people, TW is a bland, aggressively mediocre game with a hilariously bad script and amazing bears and FORSOOTH, THE TAINT

Alixsar
12-02-2008, 12:55 AM
*truth*

I agree with all of that, but I wasn't aware that LO was considered a "bad" game. Well, if it is, then pretend I repeated everything Vlad just said.

I love SaGa Frontier 2. I LOVE IT. Yes, the way leveling up works in this game makes no sense. Yes, the game's difficulty is extremely uneven. Yes, there's that one battle late in the game that is un-winnable if you're not extremely careful.

But I still love it. It has a large cast of characters with distinct personalities, some amazing art, one of (arguably the) best soundtrack(s) to any game ever, and hands down the best story I've ever seen in an RPG. That's enough for me.

Sure, it's practically unplayable. But don't tell me that watching the surrealist sequence where we learn what led Johan to come under Gustave's service wasn't great. Or the scene where we learn that that girl (Nicolette? I forget, it's been a while) had organized a war between two countries just to get back at a guy who made fun of her at school. Old Man Kelvin's last stand. Wil Knights fleeing a sinking pirate ship. Gustave executing his half-brother. An 80 year old Wil Knights fighting alongside his 14 year old granddaughter to put an end to The Egg once and for all.

There were so many memorable scenes in that game that I can't even list them all. I could go on about how great the decades-spanning plot is, but I think you all get the idea of how much I love this game. (Let's also not forget SF2's rudimentary Gambit system and multiple battle modes either)

Gredlen
12-02-2008, 01:01 AM
SaGa Frontier 2 is awesome

Oh hey I should LP this game sometime.

EDIT: Also you forgot the part about Gustaf being a pimp.

Alixsar
12-02-2008, 01:08 AM
Oh hey I should LP this game sometime.

EDIT: Also you forgot the part about Gustaf being a pimp.

There's a lot of parts I forgot, mostly because there are so many great parts and I don't want to start gushing even more than I already have. But yes, Gustaf is a total pimp.

Shadax
12-02-2008, 02:14 AM
Although it appears to get no love, Dokapon Kingdom has been charming and frustrating me in equal measure. I imagine it would be even better if I had friends that would look at it without punching me and calling me a fag.

Indalecio
12-02-2008, 05:35 AM
I love SaGa Frontier 2. I LOVE IT. Yes, the way leveling up works in this game makes no sense. Yes, the game's difficulty is extremely uneven. Yes, there's that one battle late in the game that is un-winnable if you're not extremely careful.

But I still love it. It has a large cast of characters with distinct personalities, some amazing art, one of (arguably the) best soundtrack(s) to any game ever, and hands down the best story I've ever seen in an RPG. That's enough for me.

After playing Unlimited Saga, I went and got SF2. I think I liked US better, but SF2 was by no means a bad game. The one thing that kinda pissed me off is Cordelia(I think her name was Cordelia. Girl with a spear.), if you use her in battle at a certain point in the game, and if she loses, she's killed off permanently. Fortunately, I had a backup save, but that annoyed me.

I never actually beat SF2, but one of these days I'd like to, and if someone's starting a LP, I'd like to see it.

Fer
12-02-2008, 05:43 AM
Due to the vs. mode, it wasn't the worst math game ever.

Except that no one will ever play it with you, so I guess it is.
I played the animal xing version with a couple of friends for hours and hours and hours. The explanation for this is that they are both physicists and I'm an actuary.

ShakeWell
12-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Balloon Fight!

I don't know why people hate on it so much, I mean, Balloon Fight:Joust::Arkanoid:Breakout, by which I mean, yes, it's basically a clone, but it does the same thing SO MUCH BETTER.

Also, Tingle's Balloon Fight is awesome, if you can get over having to play as Tingle.

Riot.EXE
12-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Urban Reign? That's the Namco beat 'em up, right? I thought that was really ambitious, and better than most of its competitors (particularly Final Fight Streetwise). The fighting system in particular is quite ingenious, letting you target specific areas of your enemies' bodies. I just wish Urban Reign had a little more meat to it... all you do is fight an endless procession of thugs, including several that keep popping up throughout the game.

Yes, that is correct...

Final Fight: Streetwise, however...has an awesome soundtrack. I found this out when I was digging around on Beatsource.com (the Hip-Hop sister site to Beatport.com)

Alixsar
12-02-2008, 10:27 AM
*spoiler bit*

I never actually beat SF2, but one of these days I'd like to, and if someone's starting a LP, I'd like to see it.

Alternate plot lines! If Cordelia [dies, then Wil marries Labelle instead. Oddly enough, Rich is their kid either way.]

SabreCat
12-02-2008, 10:50 AM
My go-to in these conversations is Sudeki.

Critically panned? Yup. For good reason? Certainly. But did I get a total kick out of it? Hell yeah!

I cannot dislike a game where one of your characters' battle cries is "I'm going to kill you in the face!" in a silly fake accent. Plus, these days, a 20-hour gameplay time for an action-RPG is a positive feature for me.

Balrog
12-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Balloon Fight!

I don't know why people hate on it so much, I mean, Balloon Fight:Joust::Arkanoid:Breakout, by which I mean, yes, it's basically a clone, but it does the same thing SO MUCH BETTER.

Also, Tingle's Balloon Fight is awesome, if you can get over having to play as Tingle.

People hate on Balloon Fight? That's a damn shame.

Octopus Prime
12-02-2008, 11:02 AM
I cannot dislike a game where one of your characters' battle cries is "I'm going to kill you in the face!" in a silly fake accent.

That is the single best aspect of the game, right there.

mugenkokoro
12-02-2008, 11:20 AM
I love SaGa Frontier 2.

I have an interesting story about this game. So, when I was in 8th grade, we had this pod-wide project (the class was split into 4 groups of 4 teachers each, a "pod"...it's all the rage these days) where we all had to write to a company or organization and basically ask for a charitable donation. Looking back on it, I can't believe that any of us ever got anything, but I wrote to Square because I had just played Xenogears and Final Fantasy Tactics (which were, bizarrely enough, the first two RPGs I ever played). Shockingly, Square sent back FOUR games, which we auctioned off at a pod-wide giveaway using currency earned from doing well in class. The four games they sent were:
Xenogears
FFVIII
Saga Frontier 2
Chocobo Dungeon or Racing or some bullshit like that.

I hadn't played FFVIII yet, but something inside me didn't want to play it, so I spent my "money" on Saga Frontier 2.

I loved the watercolor backgrounds, they were beautiful, and one of the only other things I remember about the game is the excellent music. Unfortunately the combat system and flow of the story were completely incomprehensible to 8th grade me, so I never finished it and never really got very far at all, I think. In retrospect, I wish I had just picked up FFVIII, but I always hold a respect for the Saga series in my heart even though I couldn't figure it out at the time because of it's excellent visuals and music.

Thraeg
12-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Chocobo Dungeon or Racing or some bullshit like that.

Hey, thanks for reminding me, Chocobo's Dungeon 2 would be another good candidate for this thread. I picked it up recently, after Shiren left me itching for more roguelikes to play, and although it didn't measure up, it was still plenty fun. Definitely not bullshit.

demonkoala
12-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Legend of Mana. Only *Mana folk seem to know it, and they all loathe it.

Similarly, my brother loves Secret of Evermore.

I don't know, what's the criteria for this? Do you have to acknowledge that it is, in fact, a crappy game? If that's the case I'll have to think about and revise my entry (since I rather like LOM and don't think it's bad).

Man, whatever. Legend of Mana is like my favorite game ever.
Also, I love how there is a ton of love for this game here.

I have a ton of guilty pleasures that I need to go dig up. Eh.
I think I may need to look into P.N.03 now.

le geek
12-02-2008, 01:28 PM
My name is le geek.

(hi le geek!)

and I... I like Suikoden IV.

fanboymaster
12-02-2008, 01:55 PM
I like a lot of really terrible PS1 JRPGs, but I think I'll condense it to the essentials.

Shadow Madness- Terribly balanced, seemingly designed around the fact that a player could max their levels very early in the game. Also, one of the worst casualties of PS1-era 3D graphics.

SaGa Frontier- I've seen some defense for 2, but 1. I reallize it's terrible, but it has a sentai storyline, and an overall story that's charming in how incomprehensible it is.

Legend of Dragoon- Most opinions on this seem to range from "mediocre/inoffensive" to "utterly foul". I'm replaying it right now, and enjoying it.

Pajaro Pete
12-02-2008, 02:03 PM
SaGa Frontier- I've seen some defense for 2, but 1. I reallize it's terrible, but it has a sentai storyline, and an overall story that's charming in how incomprehensible it is.

Every time I play SaGa Frontier, I'm hoping this run through will be the game it could be, rather than the game it is.

mugenkokoro
12-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Shadow Madness- Terribly balanced, seemingly designed around the fact that a player could max their levels very early in the game. Also, one of the worst casualties of PS1-era 3D graphics.

I have a friend who swears by this game. She says it has one of the best stories and group of main characters in RPGs she's played.

Matchstick
12-02-2008, 02:21 PM
I'll be happy to sell anybody that wants them my copies of SaGa Frontier and Shadow Madness.

UnChocolate
12-02-2008, 03:03 PM
For all the crap Four Swords Adventure gets for the GBA-requiring multiplayer, it is by far some of the best 4-player fun I've ever had. Whoever it was at Nintendo that created Force Gems is an evil evil person.*Likewise with Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles to a slightly lesser extent.

sfried
12-02-2008, 03:07 PM
re: DKC

If you didn't try to find all 101% the game was not difficult. Bosses all required the same strategy to beat, and the levels (again, not searching for hidden stuff) were not that hard. Unless you were a completionist, the game was not hard.

I'm wasn't talking about DKC, mind you. DKC2 and DKC are two entirely different games altogether. Play DKC2 and go back to playing DKC. I'm pretty sure you'll find it hard to go back to the latter. It's too bad DKC3 justs didn't have that "depth" in level secrets and exploration, although some bosses were fairly memorable.

Torgo
12-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Play DKC2 and go back to playing DKC. I'm pretty sure you'll find it hard to go back to the latter.
Not at all. In fact, it was a sweet relief after subjecting myself to the sequel.

nunix
12-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Ohh, I've got a better one.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles.

Yes, the GameCube game.

I have no problem with holding a chalice (it even worked okay in single-player), I liked the character creation, liked the aesthetics, liked the magic system. It's a fun game!

sfried
12-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Ohh, I've got a better one.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles.

Yes, the GameCube game.
Hey, I liked that one pretty well. Single player wasn't bad.

Ben1842
12-02-2008, 03:43 PM
I've said it a lot, but one more won't hurt. I love Shadowrun on the 360. I like it better than Halo 3. (or any other shooter I can think of on the 360)
In fact it's one of my favorite games on the system. :)

(It's a sickness, I know)

Brer
12-02-2008, 03:45 PM
I love Shadowrun on the 360.

I have no words. Then again, I'm a huge fan of the setting, so my outrage stems from a different source than some, I guess.

Octopus Prime
12-02-2008, 03:50 PM
For all the crap Four Swords Adventure gets for the GBA-requiring multiplayer, it is by far some of the best 4-player fun I've ever had. Whoever it was at Nintendo that created Force Gems is an evil evil person.*Likewise with Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles to a slightly lesser extent.

I like FSA a lot too. While it definitely shined in multiplayer, it was a pretty decent SP game as well.

Heck, it was a Zelda game with absolutely nothing but dungeons. That's pretty much the fastest way to make me like a game, right there.

demonkoala
12-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Those games were awesome once you got all 4 people to play them. Well, all 4 GBAs. So many good memories.

I have no problem with holding a chalice
I'd like to play with you, so I never have to be chalice bitch.

UnChocolate
12-02-2008, 04:03 PM
The one holding the chalice is no bitch, for He contains the party's life and death within his hands.

DemoWeasel
12-02-2008, 04:07 PM
I think Mischief Makers is pretty fun.

Ingmar Bergman
12-02-2008, 04:55 PM
I think Mischief Makers is pretty fun.

People think it's bad? They must be the biggest idiots.

mopinks
12-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Also, Tingle's Balloon Fight is awesome because you play as Tingle (and also it is Balloon Fight).

also, Mischief Makers is grate by virtue of the boss battles alone.

Torgo
12-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Yeah, this was kind of my reaction. Mischief Makers is awesome.

Red Hedgehog
12-02-2008, 06:13 PM
I was going to say that I don't really have anything more modern to add since I've played relatively few modern game and those I choose to play are those that already have positive buzz. But then Graham reminded me of one:

Lost in Blue. Yes, I can see all its flaws, but I loved it (well, right up until the very end when I couldn't be bothered to do the final thing to finish the game).

Speaking of early DS titles, I got quite a lot of enjoyment out of Feel the Magic XY/XX - it was charming in its understated story and the minigames were pretty much all well done.

But most of my love for poor games comes on the NES:

Superman - This game is just awful. Some of the worst play control ever and ridiculously obtuse. There is one part of the game I have never been able to get past. Despite that, I find myself enamored by it.

Spider-Man - Return of the Sinister Six: This game is quite rough around the edges (grabbing onto stuff with webs is iffy and it's quite possible to get stuck so that enemies can kill you without you being able to move), but it did enough to capture the Spider-Man feel for me. I guess I'll nominate the Game Boy Spider-Man as well.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Again, pretty awful controls and the graphics are quite poorly defined, but I just totally grokked the challenge of this game and still find enjoyment in it.

Ninja Gaiden III - I like it more than II. Having limited continues is bullshit, but it plays the best of any in the trilogy.

Battletoads - It's still one the nicest looking NES games, the controls are smooth, and the variety of level design is outstanding. It may be cheap at times, but at least you always know what you need to do, so it's frustrating in a way that I can (and did) deal with.

UnChocolate
12-02-2008, 06:28 PM
I loved Metroid Pinball on the DS. It's practically the epitome of pick-up-and-play friendliness and there are few things better than destroying Ridley with a pinball. Even the multiplayer is loads of fun, though a bit limited.

Octopus Prime
12-02-2008, 06:30 PM
I loved Metroid Pinball on the DS. It's practically the epitome of pick-up-and-play friendliness and there are few things better than destroying Ridley with a pinball. Even the multiplayer is loads of fun, though a bit limited.

I honestly don't know why people don't like this game. It's one of my favorite pinball games.

The Ridley fight was kind of annoying though.

ShakeWell
12-02-2008, 06:36 PM
People hate on Balloon Fight? That's a damn shame.

Isn't it, though?

Patrick
12-03-2008, 08:44 AM
I was talking to a friend about this yesterday, and he reminded me of Star Wars Episode 1: Jedi Power Battles on Dreamcast. Yes, it was full of glitches, and it was basically a simple brawler, but I loved it! I probably played through it co-op 4 or 5 times.

ajr82
12-03-2008, 08:53 AM
Balloon Fight has the best physics ever in videogames.

tungwene
12-03-2008, 09:28 AM
My answer to this is Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (GBA). I remember it getting universally panned when it came out but I had a very fun Christmas break playing it. I think my fondness for it surpasses even the original Kingdom Hearts and technically makes it my favorite game in the franchise.

I liked it for three reasons: I didn't have to deal with KH's shitty camera, I didn't have to deal with KH's shitty controls, I didn't hate the card based battle system (it added an element of strategy to the game lacking in KH and faintly reminded me of Star Ocean 2).

Also, the story wasn't that bad and at least more coherent than KH2's though no one knew that at the time and I liked the Unknowns featured in the game better than the ones from KH2. I hope now that RE:Chain is out the general opinion of this game will improve, since I suspect many people skipped this entry and went straight from KH1 to 2.

I also like DK64. I spent way too many hours to say I hate it but the fact that my only exposure to the previous SNES games was from brief sessions at a Target kiosk may have something to do with that.

JCDenton
12-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Mischief Makers isn't the most technically impressive N64 game, but that doesn't detract from its pure awesome.

Put me down for another GC Crystal Chronicals fan. Never got the chance to play multiplayer, but the simple gameplay and fantastic production values were very soothing.

alexb
12-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Yeah, I guess I had a pretty good time with Crystal Chronicles, too. It had some wonderful music and graphics. I just wish I got to do a full 4 player game with some other good players. I felt like I was only getting half of the experience.

Tavir
12-03-2008, 10:56 AM

A lot of my friends back in middle school hated, but it was mostly by virtue of "it's not even 3d!! lolz!"

Dhroo
12-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Now that I think about it, a lot of the "bad" games I like are Square products. Xenogears, The Bouncer, anything Kingdom Hearts...it's like my secret weakness or something.

I could swear we've had this thread before

PatientBeast
12-03-2008, 08:29 PM
I liked Mega Man 4 & 5 as a kid. Probably going to be stoned for admitting that. =/

Also played a lot of Outrun 2019 and Virtual Racer on the Genesis.

Issun
12-03-2008, 08:33 PM
I liked Mega Man 4 & 5 as a kid. Probably going to be stoned for admitting that. =/

I've admitted to 4 being my favorite Mega Man game, and no one's batted an eye. I don't think you've got anything to worry about.

Healy
12-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Urbz: Sims in the City for the Gameboy Advance. Something about it just reminds me of those resource management sims I love so much (e.g. Harvest Moon series).

le geek
12-03-2008, 08:55 PM
A lot of my friends back in middle school hated, but it was mostly by virtue of "it's not even 3d!! lolz!"

We we're just getting NES when I was in middle school...
Holy Fuck, I'm old!

ecchi squirrel
12-03-2008, 09:13 PM
I finally picked up a 360 this past weekend. While I honestly only bought Infinite Undiscovery because I was in the mood for an action RPG and couldn't afford Tales of Vesperia, I've actually been enjoying the hell out of it.

Sure, the entirety of Infinite Undiscovery's first disc is a mess; bad level design, boring battles, stupid minigames, and the game has the gaul to have a stealth section within the first hour, but once you get past the first five hours, it picks up quite a bit. The battles become fun, the characters stop being annoying (well, mostly,) and the locales begin to offer something different than the usual RPG locales. Hell, even the graphics seem to get a miraculous improvement once you hit the later areas of the game.

Shame that it ends just as it starts to get interesting though. Nonetheless, I enjoyed it. I'm assuming that since it dropped in price relatively quickly that Infinite Undiscovery's sales were less than stellar? If so, that's a shame, because this game sets up an interesting framework that could evolve into something genuienly great with a little streamlining.

Octopus Prime
12-04-2008, 01:17 AM
I could swear we've had this thread before

Creating this thread is a rite of passage for Talking Time.

Phantoon
12-04-2008, 01:26 AM
I've admitted to 4 being my favorite Mega Man game, and no one's batted an eye. I don't think you've got anything to worry about.

Can you hear that noise? It's my eyes batting. Furiously.

Nah, any NES Mega Man's fine by me. Except the first one. Stupid GutsMan.

JoJo
12-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Star Trek: Conquest was a suprising hit for me. I would totally play a sequel, and I 'd love it if it was a little more fleshed out.

widdershins
12-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Just off the top of my head:

Solar Jetman (NES)
Distraega (PS1)
Assault Rigs (PS1)
FF: Mystic Quest (SNES)
Clayfighter and Claymates (SNES)
TMNT (NES)
TMNT: Fall of the Foot Clan (GB)
Dick Tracey (NES)
Batman (GB)
Spider-man (GB)

Discuss.

DemoWeasel
12-04-2008, 02:42 PM

Discuss.

I had this game; it certainly qualifies as not good!

widdershins
12-04-2008, 02:59 PM
I had this game; it certainly qualifies as not good!

All three of the old GB titles are crap, but I played 'em when I was young, so they're still near and dear.

Octopus Prime
12-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Wasn't one of them a metroidvania?

Ben1842
12-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Wasn't one of them a metroidvania?

The third game was a Metroidvania called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Radical Rescue. It's the only "classic" Turtles handheld game I have yet to cover on Video Game Take-Out.

As for the other two games for the gameboy: The first one is bad, the second one is much better but probably not really great without having played it as a kid.

MCBanjoMike
12-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Solar Jetman (NES)

Why is this in a list of bad games?

ArugulaZ
12-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Why is this in a list of bad games?

Who knows? I actually have a physical copy of this, and popped it into my NES shortly after disabling the lockout chip and replacing the power on light. It's great in the first round, but I have no earthly idea how to finish the second. The gravity makes it damn near impossible to pick up anything!

Luana
12-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Eh, I dunno. I guess I just kind of assumed that solar jetman wouldn't be well looked upon. There's not enough discussion of it on the net for me to gauge it at all, to be honest. The same is true of distraega and assault rigs -- I don't know that they're particularly hated because they're not really talked about.

EDIT: This is Rycar. Forgot this is my wife's profile.

Little Sampson
12-04-2008, 07:24 PM
I hear people don't like Meteos.

I love Meteos.

UnChocolate
12-04-2008, 07:28 PM

I love Meteos.
I've played both Meteos and Disney Meteos. I love both.

DemoWeasel
12-04-2008, 07:30 PM
I, too, love Meteos; who's been saying it's bad? All I've heard is love for it.

Alex Scott
12-04-2008, 07:32 PM
I like Mega Man 5 and 7. Not as good as 2, 3, or 9 by a longshot, but I still like 'em.

Ben1842
12-04-2008, 10:17 PM
I, too, love Meteos; who's been saying it's bad? All I've heard is love for it.

I've never said it before, but I actually don't like Meteos. It's not that I think it's necessarily a bad game, I just don't enjoy it personally. I prefer Planet Puzzle League. :)

DemoWeasel
12-04-2008, 10:23 PM
I've never said it before, but I actually don't like Meteos. It's not that I think it's necessarily a bad game, I just don't enjoy it personally. I prefer Planet Puzzle League. :)

We must play PPL over Wi-Fi.

sfried
12-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Guys, it's time for me to admit something that Shane seems to be very proud of.

I like Valis. Yes, I like simple sidescrolling games that run from left to right where you simply kill shit. No "super speed" nor dashing. No innocuous permanent upgrade. Oh, and don't forget to rely on the slide tackle for those long gaps. The very antithesis of Metroidvania - the "Classicvania" or rather classic action platformer game "genre". Simple, twitchy, stiff jumping and straightforward progression. Very easy to get into action game with only two buttons.

About the game itself: I played the PC-Engine version, and while its design might be showing its age, there was something about that enemy critter right at the beginning that popped out from behind the wall background. Something I've longed for in newer 2D games for years: The element of surprise. Also there something satisfying about an enemy running towards you, and then you just push a button...bam-it's-dead kind of gameplay.

Don't know what I mean? If you feel queezy about the series right now, go import/play Ghost Sweeper Mikami for the Super Nintendo. Same basic principle.

GoforBroak
12-04-2008, 10:59 PM
I remember my brothers loving the crap out of that movie-based Minority Report game, but only for the fact that you could throw people out of windows. That's probably the only part they enjoyed about it, though.

Octopus Prime
12-05-2008, 12:59 AM

Do you mainly hear from liars?

Issun
12-05-2008, 01:20 AM
I actually like Xenogears Disc Two. I find it poetic, in fact.
Suck on that.

TK Flash
12-05-2008, 02:05 AM
I will second Xenogears D2. I was glad that I didn't have to run bullshit fetchquests any more. Most RPGs are downright painful between the middle and the endgame (I'm looking at you P3). Xenogears was the only one that I felt cut the crap and just got on with it. I didn't notice the slow scrolling text when I was a kid, though, so if I played it now...

I'll also mention that I'm the best planet puzzle leaguer that can't get wifi to work ever. add your own damn hyphens

Phantoon
12-05-2008, 02:13 AM

Discuss.

I second Fall of the Foot Clan. I liked it then, I like it now.

The NES game can take a long walk off a short cliff.

Dhroo
12-05-2008, 04:02 AM
I actually like Xenogears Disc Two. I find it poetic, in fact.
Suck on that.

You and me, we are the same.

(poetic is stretching it a bit, though)

Tavir
12-05-2008, 10:35 AM
The third game was a Metroidvania called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Radical Rescue. It's the only "classic" Turtles handheld game I have yet to cover on Video Game Take-Out.

The third one is also pretty fantastic. Some of the bosses are a bit too difficult, but it's a pretty well thought out game and uses the special abilities of the turtles quite effectively.

Red Hedgehog
12-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Just off the top of my head:

Solar Jetman (NES)

No one says this game is bad. If they do, I take care of them.

Ben1842
12-05-2008, 12:20 PM
I also have an unhealthy love for Mario Party. I suppose that counts.

Ingmar Bergman
12-05-2008, 01:12 PM

You and me too, brother.

Mario Party 8 was pretty disappointing, though. At least Mario Party DS was pretty up to snuff. My favorite is 1, 4, or 5.

Burrito Al Pastor
12-05-2008, 01:14 PM
I deeply love Hellgate: London. I adore it. It was a magnificent game, and the greatest tragedy of current-gen gaming.

Issun
12-05-2008, 01:29 PM
(poetic is stretching it a bit, though)

Well, not the whole disc, but there were certain parts that came pretty close.

Ben1842
12-05-2008, 01:39 PM
I deeply love Hellgate: London. I adore it. It was a magnificent game, and the greatest tragedy of current-gen gaming.

I liked it but I could never get it to play without crashing every 20 minutes. :(

I defended it at first, but Hellgate needed more time in the oven. I hoped patches would fix it, but they never came and it died too early for the fixes to make it to us.

Nobuyuki
12-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Operation Darkness is the secret best strategy game on the 360. I'm 100% convinced that the people who don't like it don't understand how the cover system works. Setting up two snipers to cover ambush and watching them mow down every zombie who shambles their way may be the most ridiculous/fun thing I've experienced all year.

MikeDinosaur
12-05-2008, 02:54 PM
I'll go with Metroid 2, though I haven't played it in about ten years and might hate it now. But I didn't find the levels that much more obtuse than super metroid, it was something to do while I was sick for a week, and it let you turn into a ball, get eaten by Queen Metroid, and bomb her throat out. Also, the first Metroid that broke out of its shell made me go EEEEE!!

Oh, and while it's certainly not considered bad, I absolutely ADORED Mario Sunshine. I thought the water pack was great, and loved getting crazy altitude with wacky stuff like triple-jump wall hop jetpack combos. I might even like it better than 64. And it was hard! Being good at it felt like a cool accomplishment, like being good at a Treasure game like Bangai-O Spirits or Ikaruga. Being good was impressive-looking.

Gredlen
12-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Operation Darkness is the secret best strategy game on the 360. I'm 100% convinced that the people who don't like it don't understand how the cover system works. Setting up two snipers to cover ambush and watching them mow down every zombie who shambles their way may be the most ridiculous/fun thing I've experienced all year.

The first time I played the demo, it took a long time for things to click. But once they did, I thought it was really interesting. I should see about getting the game sometime.

widdershins
12-05-2008, 03:43 PM
I'll go with Metroid 2, though I haven't played it in about ten years and might hate it now. But I didn't find the levels that much more obtuse than super metroid, it was something to do while I was sick for a week, and it let you turn into a ball, get eaten by Queen Metroid, and bomb her throat out. Also, the first Metroid that broke out of its shell made me go EEEEE!!

I don't think folks' problem was that the levels were obtuse, just that samus took up too much screen real estate. Honestly, I get the vibe that people are really pissed that they don't like that game, because all it would take to make them love it is for the camera to pan out.

Remake, anyone?

Phantoon
12-05-2008, 03:53 PM
I don't think folks' problem was that the levels were obtuse, just that samus took up too much screen real estate. Honestly, I get the vibe that people are really pissed that they don't like that game, because all it would take to make them love it is for the camera to pan out.

Remake, anyone?

In the absence of an official remake... (http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/)

UnChocolate
12-05-2008, 05:28 PM
The first time I played the demo, it took a long time for things to click. But once they did, I thought it was really interesting. I should see about getting the game sometime.
I would have liked it more if the camera weren't atrocious. But other than that, I found the demo pretty fun.

Burrito Al Pastor
12-05-2008, 07:40 PM
I liked it but I could never get it to play without crashing every 20 minutes. :(

I defended it at first, but Hellgate needed more time in the oven. I hoped patches would fix it, but they never came and it died too early for the fixes to make it to us.

There WERE patches. (http://www.hellgatelondon.com/patches) By the time Flagship went under, the game was completely (as far as I know) stable, dramatically more balanced, not particularly buggy, included pretty much all the stuff it was supposed to have at launch, and they even had partial respecs in. (They were also into public testing on their second major content patch, which had a bunch of other interesting stuff in it.)

The problem is that the patches came after the game was released, and the greater gaming community never knew that those patches existed and to this day don't know what they missed out on.

Ben1842
12-05-2008, 07:49 PM
The problem is that the patches came after the game was released, and the greater gaming community never knew that those patches existed and to this day don't know what they missed out on.

I know what I was missing out on, about 130 dollar for the two copies I bought. :(

I wanted to love it, but the patches came too late IMO. I played it in February, 4 months after release, and it was still broken and crashed to desktop on all 3 of my PC's.

dussssstin
12-05-2008, 09:56 PM

me too.

Excalibrate
12-06-2008, 12:30 AM
There seems to be enough spite for Gears of War, so I suppose it counts. Maybe a screw is loose in my head, but I love the endless violence and over-the-top story. Sometimes a guy just needs to let loose and break some skulls, you know?

Besides, there aren't enough good split-screen co-op games these days.