PDA

View Full Version : My name is Mud(way)

ArugulaZ
12-01-2008, 11:59 AM
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21298

Burdened with debt, Viacom CEO Sumner Redstone just sold his shares of Midway to an outside investor for $100,000. At the time of the sale, shares of Midway were worth 1/10th of a cent each, about the same value as a coupon you'd clip out of the Sunday paper. Man, I never realized that things were that bad for Midway...

Shadax
12-01-2008, 12:01 PM
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21298

Burdened with debt, Viacom CEO Sumner Redstone just sold his shares of Midway to an outside investor for $100,000. At the time of the sale, shares of Midway were worth 1/10th of a cent each, about the same value as a coupon you'd clip out of the Sunday paper. Man, I never realized that things were that bad for Midway...

...does this mean that we will not recieve Blitz 3, or Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Stryker? Sadness.

Bergasa
12-01-2008, 12:38 PM
I've never heard of Sumner Redstone until about two hours ago in my popular culture course. Now I read a post on Talking Time about him. Crazy how things like that happen.

alexb
12-01-2008, 12:40 PM
You probably did, but the name flew in one ear and out the other because you didn't know who he was.

Ample Vigour
12-01-2008, 12:44 PM
You probably did, but the name flew in one ear and out the other because you didn't know who he was.

Fact is, if you were born after 1980 you owe your entire pop-culture experience to that man. Viacom is the monster that ate the media, and he was the mad scientist who built the beast.

ArugulaZ
12-01-2008, 12:47 PM
He's what happens when Mr. Howell from Gilligan's Island has a baby with Howdy Doody.

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/12/1207_bestleaders/source/31.htm

He's also kind of a jerk. He sued YouTube for a billion (!!!) dollars when clips of The Daily Show popped up on that site, and has been in a protracted battle with his daughter over the fate of Viacom once he's gone (and as you can see from that picture, he doesn't have long before that happens).

P.S. And oh yeah, he screwed over the creator of Ren & Stimpy back in the early 1990s. If you ever wondered why R&S suddenly started to suck after the first six episodes, blame Sumner.

Lucas
12-01-2008, 12:56 PM
He looks like a Sumner Redstone. I couldn't tell you why, but the name just fits that face. Seriously, try to think of a better, non-joke name for him. Of course, now that I've said that, all the names people will think of will be, practically by definition, joke names, so it's impossible! MUAHAHAHA

Kishi
12-01-2008, 01:00 PM
My first exposure to Sumner himself was when Stephen Colbert started taunting him on his show. They even had a phone conversation once.

ArugulaZ
12-01-2008, 01:46 PM
He looks like a Sumner Redstone. I couldn't tell you why, but the name just fits that face. Seriously, try to think of a better, non-joke name for him. Of course, now that I've said that, all the names people will think of will be, practically by definition, joke names, so it's impossible! MUAHAHAHA

I always call him Sumner E. Doucette, because the word "douche" is automatically funny in every possible situation. Er, maybe not funerals.

The guy's name is actually Rothstein, by the way. I have no earthly idea why he changed it... it's not like he's some Hollywood heartthrob who needed to make himself sound less ethnic to give himself mainstream appeal.

Kishi
12-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Maybe he's enamored by the image of squeezing blood from a stone.

TheSL
12-01-2008, 01:51 PM
The guy's name is actually Rothstein, by the way. I have no earthly idea why he changed it... it's not like he's some Hollywood heartthrob who needed to make himself sound less ethnic to give himself mainstream appeal.

If I was to take a guess, just to sound more American-

Rot - German for Red
Stein - German for Stone

Hence, Redstone.

Kishi
12-01-2008, 01:51 PM
I remember this bit from Xenogears.

mrbuu82
12-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Those shares do not stand to do much. Unless some drastic action is taken, Midway is going to be delisted from the stock market. A stock can only stay below $1 for so long and Midway is trading for under a cent. I foresee some sort of IP auction in their future if they are not gobbled up by some other company.