PDA

View Full Version : What Comics Did You Buy This Week?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Evil Dead Junkie
12-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Judging by the WTF thread people here DO read comics, so it's pretty self explanatory what did you get?

Last week I grabbed

Batman #681: Despite all the bullshit this was a pretty entertaining comic, I mean it's Batman taking down the Illuminati how is that not entertaining? Still it just wasn't crazy enough for the rest of the series, or epic enough to seem like a real ending. Just disappointing.

Buffy #19: The series continues to be something special, but the art get's wonky without warning. There was a big reveal a couple of issues ago that one of the characters had turned evil and I swear to Christ until this issue I thought it was a different one. That's a problem.

Daredevil #113: Brubaker goodness, Lady Bullseye is a badass, great drunken master style stuff, Bru writes Iron Fist again, Ninja's Drunken Master Zatoichi. However it does highlight the problem with this being basically the only mainstream superhero book I read, I do occasionally miss the significance of things, there's a major character death at the end of this, and I have no idea who the person who died is.

Umbrella Academy: God Save The President: So fucking good.

Ultimate Spiderman #128: Leave it to Bendis to bring back Gwen Stacy in away that's not insulting or a cheat, and have it actually be her. I normally hate Comic Book Death, but in this case I'll make an exception.

Trades: Ultimate Spiderman Hardcovers 7, 9 (75% off at my comic shoppe):

I have no idea why this series doesn't get more love. Bendis made the clone saga entertaining.

THE FUCKING CLONE SAGA. It was a well written gripping read. And it was the Goddamn CLONE SAGA.

JDS
12-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Spiderman #128: Leave it to Bendis to bring back Gwen Stacy in away that's not insulting or a cheat, and have it actually be her. I normally hate Comic Book Death, but in this case I'll make an exception.

What? That's retarded. She got shanked and drained, old school. You can't get un-shanked and it not be retarded. And this is coming from someone who thought USM was the only super book worth reading for a long time.

Can you spoil it for me? I don't see how it could work -- frankly, I'm beginning to think all of this "normally I hate character resurrection, BUT..." business is dudes trying extra-hard to convince themselves.

Evil Dead Junkie
12-02-2008, 02:17 PM
The requested spoilers: Basically, Carnage didn't kill her it absorbed her, leaving her body dead but preserving her DNA and memories. Carnage chooses to merge with Eddie Brock and Venom, thus leaving Stacy behind.

But dear God sir you are unpleasant.

JDS
12-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Sorry dude, it's been a long week. There are certain things I'd like to think I can count on in these crazy world -- things like dead Gwen Stacies.

Brer
12-02-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm too cash-limited to afford to keep up my comic book habit (my limited entertainment funds have been going to books and the occasional video game instead), but when I had money I was following Fables, Planetary, and Powers.

Adrenaline
12-02-2008, 02:53 PM
I don't really read new books, I've been content to buy TPBs of acclaimed stuff down the line.

EDIT: Haha, I did technically pay for volumes 7+8 of Y this week.

Wolfgang
12-02-2008, 02:57 PM
I bought the PA Birds Are Weird collection and a few photocopied minicomics on Sunday. I never buy monthly books other than Shonen Jump. Superheroes are for fags who like seeing tightly wrapped buns and packages.

Octopus Prime
12-02-2008, 03:11 PM
The requested spoilers: Basically, Spider-Boy Prime punched reality until everything was fixed..

But dear God sir you are unpleasant.

That sounds... kind of gross.

Evil Dead Junkie
12-02-2008, 03:21 PM
The reason this resurrection doesn't bother me is because it does play by the rules of the universe rather then simply superboy smash. The Symbiote took a host, albietly in a different way then usual, then the Symbiote left the host, leaving it OK.

JDS
12-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Didn't the Venom/Carnage thing leave behind a graphic husk though? And didn't they make a point again and again of impressing on the reader from a dramatic standpoint that Gwen was dead? This seems like a pretty obvious cheat to bring back a character no one was banging at the gates to get back anyway. Comics just keep getting weirder, but rarely in a good way.

Evil Dead Junkie
12-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Right the basic idea is rather then the host absorbing the symbiote, the symbiote absorbed the host. The end result being the same when the symbiote left the host.

I for one am glad to see Stacy back. I like the way Bendis writes her, and I like the dynamic she adds to the group.

teekun
12-02-2008, 04:09 PM
Of note this week:

Umbrella Academy: God Save The President #1 - Agreed. So fucking good.

Runaways #3 - Terry Moore is no Brian K Vaughn, but he's still writing a pretty fun story, and Ramos seems to have tuned the wacky exaggerated art down a little bit, so I'm enjoying this issue much more than the last couple.

The Incredible Hercules #123 - This continues to be one of the best books Marvel puts out. Herc is a fantastic character, and every single issue is loads of fun. I hope the Hulk never comes back to reclaim his book :(

The Walking Dead #55 - The story is still trying to pick up the pace after the depressing end to the prison arc, but it's still a great read. I only wish each issue was a little longer. They always end up being such quick reads.

Guy
12-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Right the basic idea is rather then the host absorbing the symbiote, the symbiote absorbed the host. The end result being the same when the symbiote left the host.

I for one am glad to see Stacy back. I like the way Bendis writes her, and I like the dynamic she adds to the group.

I've liked Gwen Stacy better than Mary Jane in just about every version of Spider-man. Part of the reason I'm so in love with The Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon is how much attention she gets.

JDS
12-02-2008, 04:43 PM

I liked Bendis's Stacy, too (I mostly like Bendis's everybody), I just didn't imagine the demand was particularly high for her return. Are sales slipping on the Ultimate line or something?

Excitemike
12-02-2008, 06:18 PM
I bought the PA Birds Are Weird collection and a few photocopied minicomics on Sunday. I never buy monthly books other than Shonen Jump.

A.) Birds are what? Minis? You have a scanner? I love hearing about small press stuff.

B.) What's the line-up in SJ? It was the only regular comic I read for years but after they dropped Hikaru no Go my subscription mysteriously lapsed....

Figure Four
12-02-2008, 06:37 PM
B.) What's the line-up in SJ? It was the only regular comic I read for years but after they dropped Hikaru no Go my subscription mysteriously lapsed....

Currently:

One Piece
Yu Yu Hakusho (but this only has a few volumes left)
Slam Dunk (Only for one more month. Then it goes to trades.)
Naruto
BoBoBo
Yu-gi-oh GX (Ugh... At least it's only one chapter an issue)
Bleach

They've announced the replacement for Slam Dunk but I'm too lazy to look up what it is.

Merus
12-02-2008, 07:13 PM
A.) Birds are what?

It's the fourth Penny Arcade collection.

I just so happened to buy the third Sandman collection this week. It's so sad when crazy people want something, because you know they don't have the ability to get it any more. And Delirium is, after all, the epitome of crazy.

Sven
12-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Got Absolute Watchmen as a birthday gift, so buying anything else would sully it.

(Not that I'm complaining, but... goddamn, do I hate hardcovers.)

The gf got me a couple of Showcase volumes as part of my gift, which was neat.

As for the Gwen thing... it reversed Bendis' biggest sin on the book, namely killing her off in the first place (he'd written Gwen into being more interesting than MJ, which had to be a first) to put freaking CARNAGE over. It's like whenever the WWE beats up Rey Mysterio to put over their horrible big guy of the week. Sure, you can do it, but after it's done it's best to pretend that it never happened.

Badinage
12-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Got to go to Borders yesterday, so I got myself...

Ultimate X-Men Volume 5: Ultimate War - For the longest time, I've been hesitating to read Ultimate X-Men. I've heard and read so many mixed opinions on it, and while I knew it would be best to figure out how it is for myself, I've still waited for the longest time. I've decided to read Millar's, Vaughan's and Bendis's run. And after I started with Ultimate X-Men Ultimate Collection #1 and #2, I must say...concerning Millar's run, I'm truly enjoying it so far. I'm glad to have found this, as his stuff can usually be hit or miss. The art is definitely inconsistent, but I believe Millar has combined the Stan Lee and Claremont eras of the series together in a way that works. And I'm liking Ultimate War. Along with Millar's writing, Chris Bachalo's art can be beautiful to look at.

Batman #680 - Yes, I know. I'm behind. But I'm still enjoying Morrison's run on the series, despite what many are saying.

AJR
12-02-2008, 07:58 PM
The first Nextwave trade: Fun stuff, although Ellis’ dialogue irks me at times.

Captain America #whateverthelastonewas: I like the direction it’s going.

I’ve bought a lot of No.1 trades this year. I figure I should actually advance beyond the starting storylines for a few of the trades I’ve bought. But man, I still haven’t started on Planetary or Walking Dead or Scott Pilgrim or like a billion other books, and there’s just so much stuff out there that I want to try.

teekun
12-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Captain America #whateverthelastonewas: I like the direction itís going.try.

Shit, that reminds me. I bought that last week too and I haven't read it yet. What's wrong with me? :(

AJR
12-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Oh, and I also bought the Stupid, Stupid Rat-Tails: The Adventures of Big Johnson Bone trade and the complete Scud The Disposable Assassin collection for my brother. He loves Bone and Deadpool, so I think he’ll enjoy these as well (although I haven't read either myself).

liquid
12-02-2008, 08:07 PM
I just ordered Nana Vol. 13. I am very excited about this!

Man, Ultimate Spider-Man is really fucking good. I should start picking up the trades.

And while I'm at it, I need to collect the rest of Punisher MAX.

Bergasa
12-02-2008, 08:20 PM
All I read is Amazing Spider-man and Thor. Spider-man has been great since Brand New Day, and I really like how the story moves at three issues a month (at the same time, it makes for less titles in the budget). Thor is just f'ing great.

Ingmar Bergman
12-02-2008, 08:42 PM
ACME Novelty Library #19 - freakin' incredible. That's all that can be said about anything Rusty Brown-related.

Wolfgang
12-02-2008, 08:44 PM
A.) Birds are what? Minis? You have a scanner? I love hearing about small press stuff.

Neil Jam #15 (neiljam.com) and "Mine All Mine" which looks like a small compilation of strips about stealing/shoplifting

teekun
12-02-2008, 08:57 PM
All I read is Amazing Spider-man and Thor. Spider-man has been great since Brand New Day, and I really like how the story moves at three issues a month (at the same time, it makes for less titles in the budget). Thor is just f'ing great.

Spider-man has totally redeemed itself in the past few months. I wasn't initially very happy with where Brand New Day started out, but now it's absolutely fantastic.

onimaruxlr
12-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Sorry dude, it's been a long week. There are certain things I'd like to think I can count on in these crazy world -- things like dead Gwen Stacies.

if spectacular gwen stacy dies...i'm coming for you

this week i am looking forward to secret invasion finale, a Luke & Jessica-centric New Avengers, the coninuation of Mark Waid's really strong Amazing Spider-Man arc, the latest domestic volume of Berserk (in which the titular element of the story is finally introduced) and I will probably jack somebody's copy of the new Batman to read the epilogue to RIP

O..O~
12-02-2008, 09:55 PM
If I hear one thing from jds complaining about retcon stories not being able to be good stories I am going to shut his face.

I am looking forward to secret shitvasion finally being over tomorrow. Dear Marvel: Never ever let Brian Mendis right an event series again. NEVER. House of m failed and so does this.

Sprite
12-02-2008, 11:50 PM
I subsist mostly on webcomics and newspaper strip collections, with the occasional graphic novel.

I can't even remember the last time I bought a monthly comic...

onimaruxlr
12-03-2008, 08:46 AM
If I hear one thing from jds complaining about retcon stories not being able to be good stories I am going to shut his face.

I am looking forward to secret shitvasion finally being over tomorrow. Dear Marvel: Never ever let Brian Mendis right an event series again. NEVER. House of m failed and so does this.

Out of curiosity, did you actually dislike the House of M story arc or the fallout from it? I thought that all the "and now there's only like 300 mutants left or something" stuff was bullshit but the actual HoM story itself was a nice little Avengers/X-Men crossover in ye grande olde tradition

KCar
12-03-2008, 08:54 AM
I just bought the hardcover re-release of Paul Pope's Heavy Liquid. I've been loving on 100% for some time now, and this was a glaring hole in my collection. I didn't like it as much as the aforementioned, and the ending is kind of stilted, but man do I love that guy's brushwork.

ajr82
12-03-2008, 09:20 AM
The last monthly comic I picked up was the last issue of IDW's Transformers Spotlight: Revelations. The new All Hail Megatron books have been utter shit and have, so far, thrown away everything fun and interesting about the series so far in order to have multipage layouts of the Decepticons stomping on people. I'll buy the trade because they are (sigh) part of the continuity now, but I'll be damned if I'll pay for them twice.

Octopus Prime
12-03-2008, 09:24 AM
The last monthly comic I picked up was the last issue of IDW's Transformers Spotlight: Revelations. The new All Hail Megatron books have been utter shit and have, so far, thrown away everything fun and interesting about the series so far in order to have multipage layouts of the Decepticons stomping on people. I'll buy the trade because they are (sigh) part of the continuity now, but I'll be damned if I'll pay for them twice.

I thought All Hail Megatron, was a non-canon story, like Hearts of Steel, or Shattered Mirror (or whatever it was called, the one where the Bots were bad and the Cons were good).

And honestly, considering how Devestation ended, I'd be a bit more surprised if Revelations was anything BUT the bad guys winning, left right and center.

ajr82
12-03-2008, 09:32 AM
I thought All Hail Megatron, was a non-canon story, like Hearts of Steel, or Shattered Mirror (or whatever it was called, the one where the Bots were bad and the Cons were good).

And honestly, considering how Devestation ended, I'd be a bit more surprised if Revelations was anything BUT the bad guys winning, left right and center.

No, I'm pretty sure they've said it's canon. I'd be really happy if it turned out to be the mirror universe from Spotlight: Mirage, but I'm doubtful.

Devastation ended pretty terribly, but I thought Revelation was quite good for only having four issues to wrap up two years of plot. I'm just really irritated by how blatantly AHM has thrown out the premise, characterizations and even character designs that they spent the last 3 years putting together. They had the most interesting Transformers universe yet, and they're screwing it up completely in order to retread the awful first Dreamwave miniseries.

Sven
12-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Dear Marvel: Never ever let Brian Mendis right an event series again. NEVER. House of m failed and so does this.

Bendis just thinks that one really big battle at the end is a substitute for not much happening in the preceding issues - if you're going to write an event story, make it an EVENT. Not just a future TPB that happens to star a big cast, y'know?

That said, while I agree that House of M was an awful, awful story - and one that was made even worse once you realise just how badly they managed the thing - this isn't as bad. I don't think it rises to the level of "well, that was mostly decent" like Civil War did, but it's close. That could also be a function of hating Yu's artwork - he's all ugly lines and fuzzy detail. Not a good combination.

but the actual HoM story itself was a nice little Avengers/X-Men crossover in ye grande olde tradition

In ye grande olde tradition, something would've happened in the first six issues. Decompressed storytelling = evil, and that was the worst example. At least Secret Invasion had someone throwing punches within a couple of issues.

Octopus Prime
12-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Devastation ended pretty terribly.

You mean terribly as in poorly, or terribly as in "Things look grim for our heroes"?

Because if it's the former, I can reply that it was 6 issues of Things! That! Explode!, and toy robots delivering overly melodramatic dialogue while MAKING! THINGS! EXPLODE! And honestly, that's everything I look for in Transformers.

If it's the latter, I agree, since it's not many storylines that are based around Optimus running away saying "Sorry, the Earth is screwed, I'm leaving".

And I can't comment on the rest of your points since I didn't read Revelations yet.

Excitemike
12-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Decompressed storytelling = evil

Only in the wrong hands.

Sven
12-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Only in the wrong hands.

Fair point, although I generally equate "decompressed storytelling" to "bad pacing", which is something of a fundamental flaw.

I don't mind a six-part story; what I mind is a six-part story that you could have told in four, but stretched out to fit the TPB length. That's the hallmark of decompressed storytelling to me - the literal lack of enforcement of storytelling compression.

(Or to put another way: I'd rather read a four-issue story that feels like it had enough material in it to be stretched to five than a five-issue story that feels like a decompressed four.)

ajr82
12-03-2008, 09:57 AM
You mean terribly as in poorly, or terribly as in "Things look grim for our heroes"?

Because if it's the former, I can reply that it was 6 issues of Things! That! Explode!, and toy robots delivering overly melodramatic dialogue while MAKING! THINGS! EXPLODE! And honestly, that's everything I look for in Transformers.

If it's the latter, I agree, since it's not many storylines that are based around Optimus running away saying "Sorry, the Earth is screwed, I'm leaving".

And I can't comment on the rest of your points since I didn't read Revelations yet.

I did mean the former, but that's mainly because I thought the Reavers were boring as all hell, and the fights were stretched out far too long. I did like the "we're abandoning Earth now" stuff, that was neat.

Excitemike
12-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Fair point, although I generally equate "decompressed storytelling" to "bad pacing", which is something of a fundamental flaw.

I don't mind a six-part story; what I mind is a six-part story that you could have told in four, but stretched out to fit the TPB length. That's the hallmark of decompressed storytelling to me - the literal lack of enforcement of storytelling compression.

(Or to put another way: I'd rather read a four-issue story that feels like it had enough material in it to be stretched to five than a five-issue story that feels like a decompressed four.)

I associate decompressed storytelling with manga, but I see where you are coming from. In the silver age there were multi-issue sub-plots but each issue still had a beginning, a middle and an ending. Those 8-page stories in Tales to Astonish could fill an entire issue now.

mrbuu82
12-03-2008, 08:50 PM
I associate decompressed storytelling with manga, but I see where you are coming from. In the silver age there were multi-issue sub-plots but each issue still had a beginning, a middle and an ending. Those 8-page stories in Tales to Astonish could fill an entire issue now.

The reason those stories were short were because they needed to be. Stan Lee and company got to tell Spider-Man's origin in about eight pages because it was all they were allowed. Bendis and Bagley got as many pages as they wanted for Ultimate Spider-Man and got to tell the story in a more "epic" fashion. I couldn't tell you which one is better, but it's really just a matter or style. When that style adversely affects pacing, as you mentioned, is where the problem lies.

Evil Dead Junkie
12-04-2008, 01:42 AM
Personally I don't find Bendis slow. I like his dialogue and his scenes have time to breath in away that few comics do. I like having a comic I know isn't going to be a two minute "read" that consists mainly of people hitting one another with stones.

Mea Culpa I read him mostly in trades and have read neither of his "events".

onimaruxlr
12-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Now that it's said and done, I think Secret Invasion was pretty lame. But the new status quo for the next year or so almost justifies it, which I actually hear was the whole reason they went ahead with it anyway.

also i feel bad for jessica and luke :(

Excitemike
12-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Please spoil me. I bailed on SI after issue 3 and never looked back.

RAC
12-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Now that it's said and done, I think Secret Invasion was pretty lame. But the new status quo for the next year or so almost justifies it, which I actually hear was the whole reason they went ahead with it anyway.

Really? I know this stuff is all lost on me at this stage, but I was really hoping for a definitive happy ending complete with full-stop for once rather than setting up next year's story. I'm not sold on the setup either, but that's more because Marvel, I freely admit, can't do anything right in my eyes anymore. (Unless film is involved.)

Balrog
12-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Absolute Watchmen - I've never read any of it :o

The Walking Dead #1 - I read this over lunch, I don't know how crazy I am about it. Is there a zombie comic that's less emo and more machismo?

Excitemike
12-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Absolute Watchmen - I've never read any of it :o

I've heard good things about it.

nadia
12-04-2008, 01:58 PM
The Stand, #3. Here there be Nick Andros.

Comics comics comics

Hey Sven, where do you go to feed your comic habit?

Sven
12-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Hey Sven, where do you go to feed your comic habit?

Normally just stop by Silver Snail (basically three blocks' from my grandmothers' place), but even then... I don't actually BUY that much stuff. My read list (soon to be reduced significantly due to DC cancellations) is basically Batman, Tec, Manhunter, Blue Beetle, JLA, JSA, Nightwing, Robin, and the two Fables titles (... so it'll drop by at least four titles in a couple of months - and the only reason I keep buying JLA is because of loyalty to McDuffie). And Final Crisis whenever it comes out, I guess. I need to get back on DD and I moved Cap to "trade-only" status... and, really, that's about it.

And half the time, I just grab issues off other comic-reading friends to flip through (I don't know if I actually PAID for any of Morrison's Batman run other than the last issue and the Club of Heroes arc). I have no collector's mentality at all (weird), so most of the stuff I buy usually gets donated to Sick Kids or United Way sales or the like. Which is good, since as an apartment-dweller I sure as hell don't have room for any junk.

onimaruxlr
12-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Please spoil me. I bailed on SI after issue 3 and never looked back.

Wasp is dead, Skrulls are repelled, a bunch of Skrull-replaced people are back, the whole damn world is pissed at Tony and Norman Osbourne has replaced him as the government's leading superhero mucky muck. He disbands SHIELD and calls a meeting of what basically amounts to an evil version of the Illuminatti (sorta) with Emma Frost, Namor, the Hood, Dr. Doom, and Loki.

And Luke and Jessica's baby was taken by the Skrulls ;_;

Jeanie
12-04-2008, 08:00 PM
You forgot to mention that Mockingbird, Hawkeye's wife, is back from the dead too.

onimaruxlr
12-04-2008, 08:06 PM
yeah but she's been gone so long that it's like "what? why?" more than anything else

teekun
12-04-2008, 08:31 PM
The Walking Dead #1 - I read this over lunch, I don't know how crazy I am about it. Is there a zombie comic that's less emo and more machismo?

The Walking Dead is so good because it's about characterization and not just mindless zombie slaughter. It's more about people and what happens to them, and how they deal with it. If you're looking for hoo-rah zombie slaughter, it's definitely not the book for you.

Can't say I've come across any other zombie comic worth reading though.

Just got back from the comic shop and read Secret Invasion #8 on the way home. Goddamn am I happy with how things turned out. I just hope Bendis can keep it up in Dark Reign.

sraymonds
12-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Just got back from the comic shop and read Secret Invasion #8 on the way home. Goddamn am I happy with how things turned out. I just hope Bendis can keep it up in Dark Reign.

Really? REALLY?

Really?

onimaruxlr
12-04-2008, 08:41 PM
The Walking Dead is so good because it's about characterization and not just mindless zombie slaughter.

Yeah it's more about mindless survivor slaughter :cool:

teekun
12-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Yeah it's more about mindless survivor slaughter :cool:

Please don't make me think about the horrible shit that's happened in the past half-dozen issues :(

Really? REALLY?

Really?

Really!

I don't know, I liked it.

Nicholai
12-04-2008, 09:13 PM
This week I bought:

Justice Society of America #21: Awesome. I'm looking forward to the conclusion of this arc.

That was my only comic this week. I also picked up my comics from last week:

Superman #682: I'm really enjoying New Krypton.

Justice Society of America: The Kingdom: Wholly awesome.

Thor: Man of War (one-shot): Meh.

My pull list as it currently stands: Justice League of America, Justice Society of America, Brave and the Bold, Superman, Supergirl, Action Comics, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Manhunter, Secret Six, Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam!, and Thor. I'm also buying most of the Final Crisis stuff. While it feels like a lot, Final Crisis is wrapping up along with its related minis, Manhunter is canceled, and Billy Batson and Thor come out once every 6 to 8 weeks.

Sven
12-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Wait, JSA *still* isn't dome with the Gog arc? It feels like this thing started back in the single issues (never mind the specials, which I agree looked like they were very good). I'm honestly curious how they'll collect this - if the specials are included in a softcover, I'll probably pick that up.

But... c'mon, I want to get to the Black Adam story already.

O..O~
12-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Secret Invasion 8 is a fucking terrible non-ending. It ends way to conviently. A whole army of super heroes couldn't take out the queen but norman osborn can Oh some character no one gives a crap about is sacrifice and quickly forgotten. Oh and of course all the people the skrulls were impersonating are still alive and randomly appear back on earth. No need to make stories out of them actually being dead or heroes searching for them. What pisses me off the most is that the marvel universe shattering event the issue ends with had NOTHING to do with the event that just happended. We didn't need an 8 issue event comic for this event to occur, you could of had one issue of thunderbolts where Norman somehow rose to a higher power and it would of worked just as well. Fuck you Bendis, never write an event comic again. Never. I refuse to believe that such a terrible story was 5 years in the making.

Oh and I just now got that mocking bird and hawkeye= Black Canary and Green Arrow....is that sad?

dussssstin
12-04-2008, 09:52 PM
I want to pick up sandman mystery theatre.

Really badly.

sraymonds
12-04-2008, 09:55 PM
DC and Marvel need to stop it with this event shit.

Adrenaline
12-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Stop buying them.

AJR
12-04-2008, 10:03 PM
I've never read a crossover event. I don’t ever intend to.

Sven
12-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Fuck you Bendis, never write an event comic again. Never.

Fuck, people were saying that after House of M. He's good when it comes to talking heads, but he can't write action worth a damn (Daredevil), or when he does write it it takes far too long to get to far too weak a climax (his event books). He practically wrapped up all the big action beats off-panel; not that I'd ever encourage giving him MORE page space to fill up with blather, but there was a bunch of stuff that could've used more fleshing out. This one's actually closer to Avengers Disassembled, complete with the meaningless sacrifice of a long-time Avenger just to up the body count. At least Millar had the grace to kill off someone no one had heard from since the 70s to show Civil War was serious.

Marvel in general really has a problem with delivering satisfying finales to their big storylines, since they're always careening into the next one. I'll say this for DC: while I generally have issues with the set-ups of their big stories (hello, Infinite Changes of Direction At The Last Minute Crisis), they at least know how to end them on a note that makes you think "okay, I didn't agree with some of the stuff along the way, but it was worth the trip" (52 being the best example of that recently, but then again stacking Bendis or even Millar against the Waid / Johns / Morrison / Rucka / Giffen dream team is more than a little unfair).

Other weirdness since I just flipped through a copy again right now: I'm fairly sure none of Spidey, Wolverine, Cap or DD even said anything during the course of the entire issue. That's a... weird narrative choice...?

I've never read a crossover event. I don’t ever intend to.

You pretty much have to read the original Crisis, if only to stare at so much George Perez art in one place. As I was mentioning the other day, DC One Million was also staggeringly good.

Anonymooo
12-04-2008, 11:06 PM
I miss when an event was actually an event. While the X-books had big crossovers for a while (X-Tinction Agenda, Fatal Attractions), they were kept within the X-books, and it didn't feel like they were pushing it onto the other Marvel titles. It was only when Onslaught came around that everybody got involved and there were big (albeit kinda ridiculous) repercussions and then we got the events pretty much every year.

I had only read Avengers Disassembled and House of M as trade paperbacks, and I enjoyed them quite a bit. Same with Civil War, although I haven't had a chance to read World War Hulk yet--I'm a little hesitant to.

And now, with Secret Invasion done... I dunno. I mean, DC did Infinite Crisis recently, which was all right, and Identity Crisis before that (which I really liked), and they seem to have cooled down since I haven't heard about any new gigantic crossover. Why can't Marvel just take a year or two off from the massive blockbuster crossovers?

Edit: Infinity Gauntlet was an awesome crossover mini-series, too.

teekun
12-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Why can't Marvel just take a year or two off from the massive blockbuster crossovers?

I'm hoping that Dark Reign is more of a universe-wide status quo and not actually an event... but who knows. I haven't really read much about it besides the fact that theres a new Avengers book coming and apparently a stand-alone Dark Reign book.

But I know what you mean. Spider-man's One More Day/Brand New Day was the right approach to an event, even if the content itself wasn't quality. It was wholly contained within the SM books, and that was that. Even New Avengers readers didn't need to keep up with it, even though Spidey is on that team.

Excitemike
12-04-2008, 11:09 PM
I want to pick up sandman mystery theatre.

Really badly.

Do you mean the old series? Or is there a new series I don't know about?

DC and Marvel need to stop it with this event shit.

But first they have to tie up the loose ends of Atlantis Attacks.

Evil Dead Junkie
12-04-2008, 11:09 PM
I don't buy Bendis can't write action. US has some blisteringly intense showdowns DD had some nice moments too.

teekun
12-04-2008, 11:11 PM
I don't buy Bendis can't right action. US has some blisteringly intense showdowns DD had some nice moments too.

SI has been nothing but action, hasn't it? I mean, if you don't count the Mighty Avengers and New Avengers books.

Sven
12-04-2008, 11:12 PM
and they seem to have cooled down since I haven't heard about any new gigantic crossover.

They're in the middle of Final Crisis right now, but if anything they're playing it low-key with that one, since there's relatively few tie-ins to it (I think someone did an estimate and it's something like 1/3rd the size of Secret Invasion when you figure in all the tie-in material). It's been very good thus far, although you have to accept that you have to fill in a lot of the gaps yourself since Morrison's telling about eight stories concurrently and a lot of stuff happens off-screen. Assuming the supposedly revised ending isn't awful, it'll go in the category of very good events.

Edit: Infinity Gauntlet was an awesome crossover mini-series, too.

Indeed. That one's just plain fun; no pretensions about being high art, just an excuse for a MASSIVE, six-issue brawl.

Adrenaline
12-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Do you mean the old series? Or is there a new series I don't know about?

Do you mean the OLD old Sandman or the 90's revival (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandman_Mystery_Theater)?

Anonymooo
12-04-2008, 11:24 PM
I don't buy Bendis can't write action. US has some blisteringly intense showdowns DD had some nice moments too.I agree with this, too. Bendis and Bagley's (long) run on Ultimate Spider-Man is probably one of the few segments of monthly comics that I've gone back and read over and over again just for how exciting it is. Hell, he made the Clone Saga interesting to read.

Sven
12-04-2008, 11:36 PM
SI has been nothing but action, hasn't it?

But is it GOOD? That's the question - it's largely been a series of running fights with nothing really of consequence going on. Sound and fury signifying nothing, as it were. And he'll tell things that should be shown - you'd think that you might want to show Ares ripping a starship out of the sky and depositing it into the Atlantic, but instead that happens off-panel. He's always making very weird action choices like that.

O..O~
12-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Bucky is going to become a regular on the new avengers it seems. (http://comicsmedia.ign.com/comics/image/article/935/935702/dark-reign-event-20081204000101606.jpg) Am I the only extremely worried/hesistant about anyone other than Brubaker writing him? I am interested to see Bucky become more involved with the rest of the supes community though, here's hoping Bendis can pull it off.

Nicholai
12-05-2008, 08:21 AM
Wait, JSA *still* isn't dome with the Gog arc? It feels like this thing started back in the single issues (never mind the specials, which I agree looked like they were very good). I'm honestly curious how they'll collect this - if the specials are included in a softcover, I'll probably pick that up.

But... c'mon, I want to get to the Black Adam story already.

There is one more issue of the Gog storyline which comes out the last week of this month. While it has gone on for a while it has been interesting. All three specials were good, especially the Superman one, and it looks like it should wrap up nicely. I too am looking forward to a quality Black Adam arc though.

sraymonds
12-05-2008, 08:24 AM
But first they have to tie up the loose ends of Atlantis Attacks.

You obviously haven't read Maximum Carnage.

onimaruxlr
12-05-2008, 09:56 AM
A whole army of super heroes couldn't take out the queen but norman osborn can

Part of my dissatisfaction with the whole mess is that they never go into real specifics on what can kill a Skrull. Are they like Majin Buu, and able to regenerate blown off parts? Or are they more like cell, being able to regrow limbs and regenerate flesh as long as certain organs remain intact? This probably should've been addressed at some point

I'm really looking forward to Dark Reign. A cabal of shady no-goodniks running the Marvel U (effectively) is a lot more interesting as a "CHANGE THAT THINGS WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AFTER" than some poorly justified mutant depopulazation, or a series of confrontations that probably would never have happened if it wasn't for the fact that Mark Millar is dumber than a sack of hammers (and licks goats). I just hope that it really is that--a change to the status quo that interesting stories will be bourn out of, instead of some dumb event thing that will be undone in a few months (see: Spider-Man's outing his secret identity)

RAC
12-05-2008, 10:28 AM
I don't buy Bendis can't write action. US has some blisteringly intense showdowns DD had some nice moments too.

I imagine it's harder to try and plot an action sequence or series of sequences that involve most of the Marvel Universe at one time. Maybe Bendis handles small groups better?

sraymonds
12-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Maybe Bendis handles small groups better?

Maybe Bendis can kiss my ass. Grant Morrison too.

Anonymooo
12-05-2008, 10:51 AM
if it wasn't for the fact that Mark Millar is dumber than a sack of hammers (and licks goats).I find Mark Millar more inconsistent than impossibly stupid. I liked The Ultimates a whole lot mainly for the cues it took from The Authority, but Wanted and Ultimate X-Men were very hit-or-miss for me.

When I'd heard he was writing Civil War, I was more worried than interested, because on his off days (about half of Ultimate X-Men), he could churn out a lot of crap that seemed to be done "just 'cause," with dialogue that was more about characters one-upping each other instead of actually talking to each other. Civil War ended up being all right, but I do think a lot of the decisions that went into it were all about shock value (Spidey revealing his identity, "Thor") instead of being done in the name of good storytelling.

I mean, people were shocked when Beast died in Ultimate X-Men, and it actually hurt. But when Gambit decides to take on Juggernaut in a fistfight and also dies, it just felt completely unnecessary, like a major character death was thrown in just for the sake of having somebody die.

This is my problem with Mark Millar. Also, Wanted was too pretentious even for me, and I like openly pretentious stuff. It felt like an indie comic that was trying too hard.

Queen Possum
12-05-2008, 10:51 AM
There is one more issue of the Gog storyline which comes out the last week of this month. While it has gone on for a while it has been interesting. All three specials were good, especially the Superman one, and it looks like it should wrap up nicely. I too am looking forward to a quality Black Adam arc though.

I'm only still reading JSA until the Powergirl book finally comes out. And this whole "Kingdom Come is gonna be main Earth canon" crap is gnawing on my last nerve.

I'm also highly annoyed they're cancelling Nightwing for another Krypton book. Grr. Honestly, Booster Gold is about the only thing keeping me in DC right now.

mrbuu82
12-05-2008, 12:41 PM
You obviously haven't read Maximum Carnage.

Don't forget all the fallout from Assassin-Nation Plot.

@O..O~: Why does Cap have a gun?

@xScribble Hero: I had totally forgotten about that series. I wonder if my library has any volumes of it?

Evil Dead Junkie
12-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Say what you will about Mark Millar, but Kickass is a TON of fun.

reibeatall
12-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Walking Dead #54 and #55. Left 4 Dead has made me want more zombie action in my life.

Anonymooo
12-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Yeah, depressing zombie action. I do really love that about The Walking Dead--it doesn't show the zombie apocalypse as some cool "the parents are out of town" fantasy where people are free to live by their own rules.

It shows it as a bleak, post-apocalyptic world where really horrible shit happens, often without any warning whatsoever.

Nicholai
12-05-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm only still reading JSA until the Powergirl book finally comes out. And this whole "Kingdom Come is gonna be main Earth canon" crap is gnawing on my last nerve.

I'm also highly annoyed they're cancelling Nightwing for another Krypton book. Grr. Honestly, Booster Gold is about the only thing keeping me in DC right now.

I think the whole point of the Gog arc is that our world avoids the Kingdom Come events.

They're not canceling Nightwing because of New Krypton but because of Batman RIP. Robin and Birds of Prey got the axe too. Nightwing will most likely be attempting to become the new Batman. They're going to have "Kandor" Nightwing and Flamebird in Action Comics, but that wouldn't have canceled Nightwing without RIP.

liquid
12-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Guys, has Annihilation: Conquest been as fucking awesome as Annihilation?

Because that's the only crossover comic I've really given a shit about in a while.

Kyven
12-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Astounding Wolf-Man #10
Batman #682
Criminal Vol. 2 #7
Liberty Comics A CBLDF Benefit Book

Balrog
12-05-2008, 02:52 PM

Yeah, depressing zombie action. I do really love that about The Walking Dead--it doesn't show the zombie apocalypse as some cool "the parents are out of town" fantasy where people are free to live by their own rules.

It shows it as a bleak, post-apocalyptic world where really horrible shit happens, often without any warning whatsoever.

Can you point me in the direction of the "parents are out of town" fantasy comic?

Queen Possum
12-05-2008, 02:57 PM
I think the whole point of the Gog arc is that our world avoids the Kingdom Come events.

They're not canceling Nightwing because of New Krypton but because of Batman RIP. Robin and Birds of Prey got the axe too. Nightwing will most likely be attempting to become the new Batman. They're going to have "Kandor" Nightwing and Flamebird in Action Comics, but that wouldn't have canceled Nightwing without RIP.

Aah, my local comic book guy led me to believe the axe was dropped because they didn't want people getting him confused with Kandor!Nightwing. Silly comic book guy.

Octopus Prime
12-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Can you point me in the direction of the "parents are out of town" fantasy comic?

Well... Runaways.

O..O~
12-05-2008, 09:25 PM

I love the walking dead but I wish that kirkman wouldn't rely so much on the women in fridges philosophy. As my friend enlightened me, women in the walking dead represent hope hence why they are killed so much in it. Every time a women dies in it=loss of hope. A lot of men die in it too but it seems like their deaths are often overshadowed by the womens. It really bothers me.

AJR
12-06-2008, 03:28 AM
@O..O~: Why does Cap have a gun?

Unlike Steve Rodgers, Bucky isn't opposed to using a gun, although heís stated he wonít be using it to kill anyone. Actually, come to think of it, I can only think of one time that heís actually used it, and that was to take out some random badguy's kneecaps.

mrbuu82
12-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the answer, AJR. Geez, I really need to pick up those Captain America TPBs.

David Cartoon
12-07-2008, 04:26 PM
So I've really gotten into the idea of the Sentry this year; it's just a neat concept to me. I picked up his original miniseries, and I recently got a B&N gift card. Should I bother to pick up New Avengers 2: The Sentry?

Sven
12-07-2008, 08:23 PM
While it has gone on for a while it has been interesting. All three specials were good, especially the Superman one, and it looks like it should wrap up nicely.

I think my biggest complaint about it was that it just took too long. Johns is usually better about choosing the right length for his arcs, but because he started with the (first) Magog storyline in a prologue, then took a couple of issues off before actually starting into it, and then that led straight into Gog, it felt more like one giant, slow story than a pair of well-paced stories. Not necessarily a bad one, but it really felt as though Johns was doing subplot advancement in those middle chapters and just letting Gog's mission get stagnant (or he was trying for a seven issues = seven days thing). I think DC recognised that as well, as they basically put out the specials to speed up the endgame (aside from the Superman book, they were basically just full-team JSA stories).

Unlike Steve Rodgers, Bucky isn't opposed to using a gun, although he’s stated he won’t be using it to kill anyone.

Also, Bucky isn't as good with the shield, so he needs the extra help in certain situations. It's a nice subtle reminder that no matter how good he is, he'll never be as good as Rogers - even if he doesn't use the gun, the fact that he has to carry one is a good character bit.

teekun
12-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Also, Bucky isn't as good with the shield, so he needs the extra help in certain situations. It's a nice subtle reminder that no matter how good he is, he'll never be as good as Rogers - even if he doesn't use the gun, the fact that he has to carry one is a good character bit.

Yeah, I think it really hits home that although he is wearing the Captain America outfit, this isn't the same man. Brubaker certainly doesn't write him the same as he did Rogers, and I hope that carries on into the Avengers book.

The Dread Cthulhu
12-08-2008, 10:15 AM
Just got Watchmen for my birthday.

Sven
12-08-2008, 10:30 AM
and I hope that carries on into the Avengers book.

Consider it's being written by Bendis, I doubt that - he has one "voice" in his head for most characters, and he sticks to that even when it's not appropriate (EG, how Avengers Spider-Man sounds the same as Ultimate Spidey).

tungwene
12-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Oni Press is having a holiday sale through the 31st. 15-25% off of the first volume and free shipping for orders over $30. I'm thinking of getting these.

Courtney Crumrin (http://www.onipress.com/display.php?type=bk&id=47)
Labor Days (http://www.onipress.com/display.php?type=bk&id=355)
Salt Water Taffy (http://www.onipress.com/display.php?type=bk&id=338)
Whiteout (http://www.onipress.com/display.php?type=bk&id=113)

Any other suggestions?

Loki
12-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Picked up the complete Scud: The Disposable Assassin. I've been wanting to read this series for about ten years but the individual comics were too rare and too expensive to track down. Finally there's a trade.

It's strange though. The paperback version was $40 but the hardcover was $100. Talk about a weird discrepancy.

mrbuu82
12-08-2008, 06:44 PM
I loved the art, but I could never find the original series. I think I picked one or two of the Tales of the Vending Machine comics though.

Let me know what you think of it.

Kyven
12-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Oni Press is having a holiday sale through the 31st. 15-25% off of the first volume and free shipping for orders over $30. I'm thinking of getting these.

Courtney Crumrin (http://www.onipress.com/display.php?type=bk&id=47)
Labor Days (http://www.onipress.com/display.php?type=bk&id=355)
Salt Water Taffy (http://www.onipress.com/display.php?type=bk&id=338)
Whiteout (http://www.onipress.com/display.php?type=bk&id=113)

Any other suggestions?

From what I've heard Wasteland (http://www.onipress.com/display.php?type=bk&id=248) is pretty good.

mrbuu82
12-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Has anyone been following the most recent version of the JSA? Is it anywhere near the quality of '90s version?

tungwene
12-10-2008, 12:04 AM
From what I've heard Wasteland (http://www.onipress.com/display.php?type=bk&id=248) is pretty good.I checked out the 45 page teaser. Looks neat. I do like a well choreographed fight scene. Thanks for the recommendation.

teg
12-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Battle Angel Alita volume 1 came in today. Picking it up later.

Bought/recieved in the last month or so:
-Black Jack volume 1 (Osamu Tezuka)
-Dororo volumes 1-3 (Osamu Tezuka)
-Q-Ko-Chan volumes 1-2 (Hajime Ueda)
-Absolute Sandman volume 3 (Neil Gaiman)
-It's a good Life, If You Don't Weaken (Seth)
-Quimby the Mouse (Chris Ware)
-Persepolis (Marjane Satrapi)

Sven
12-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Has anyone been following the most recent version of the JSA? Is it anywhere near the quality of '90s version?

JSA or JLA?

JSA's been published fairly continually, written by Geoff Johns, and while slow recently (see above) it's still one of the best books on the market.

JLA right now... isn't. It's got a good writer in place in Dwayne "Justice League Unlimited Script Editor" McDuffie, but Ed Benes has turned into a GODAWFUL artist since he joined the series and Brad Meltzer saddled them both with a truly unworkable team lineup before he bailed out on the series. It's nowhere close to the Morrison / Waid / Porter / Hitch era of JLA.

sraymonds
12-10-2008, 06:16 PM
I have two comments on two comics released today.

1. Fuck Brian Michael Bendis and fuck Dark Reign.

2. Fuck Grant Morrison and fuck Final Crisis.

Thank you.

Sven
12-10-2008, 06:17 PM
2. Fuck Grant Morrison and fuck Final Crisis.

Really? I've had a couple of "holy shit, this was great" e-mails in relation to that one.

sraymonds
12-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Really? I've had a couple of "holy shit, this was great" e-mails in relation to that one.

The problem I'm having with FC is that I have no clue as to what's going on. Five issues in and everything still feels unconnected to me.

Sven
12-10-2008, 06:24 PM
The problem I'm having with FC is that I have no clue as to what's going on. Five issues in and everything still feels unconnected to me.

I had that problem until #4, but when I figured out that Turpin was brainwashed and let back into the wild to allow Darkseid time to manifest, everything up until that point made sense.

Morrison was ahead of me by a couple of steps regarding Hal (I'd jokingly suggested that his memory loss was because he was one of the hosts), if the preview was any indication. That was nice.

Kyven
12-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Astonishing X-Men: Ghost Boxes #2
Detective Comics #851
Final Crisis #5
I Kill Giants #6
Phonogram: The Singles Club #1 (http://www.phonogramcomic.com/blog/?p=108)

Evil Dead Junkie
12-10-2008, 06:32 PM
I Kill Giants #6

I love that series so fucking much. It's like Brazil, Pan's Labryinth and Calvin and Hobbes all rolled together in a fucking wounded heart.

sraymonds
12-10-2008, 07:00 PM
I had that problem until #4, but motherboxxxes are iPods for gods, everything up until that point made sense.

I've read every issue and I have no idea what you're talking about.

Sven
12-10-2008, 07:12 PM
I've read every issue and I have no idea what you're talking about.

Okay, remember how Turpin got captured in the first issue, but then turned up in the second issue, with his memory gone and interrogating the Mad Hatter about information he already knew? Although we don't know how it happened (and we don't really need to), we do know that the Fourth World characters are being reincarnated in humans. But Darkseid was reincarnated in a criminal, and needed "the ruin of a powerful, noble spirit" in order to really manifest. So Darkseid transfers himself into Turpin, allowing him to eventually become the full-on Darkseid when #4 ended.. Fairly simple, really. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how the Flashes fit into things, but that one's being slow-played.

liquid
12-10-2008, 07:16 PM
I just picked up book one of The Good Neighbors. The story is nothing special, but Ted Naifeh's art is every bit as gorgeous as you'd expect.

I'm thinking of picking up Death Jr, even though it's a videogame adaptation.

Red Hedgehog
12-10-2008, 07:17 PM
JSA or JLA?

JSA's been published fairly continually, written by Geoff Johns, and while slow recently (see above) it's still one of the best books on the market.

JLA right now... isn't. It's got a good writer in place in Dwayne "Justice League Unlimited Script Editor" McDuffie, but Ed Benes has turned into a GODAWFUL artist since he joined the series and Brad Meltzer saddled them both with a truly unworkable team lineup before he bailed out on the series. It's nowhere close to the Morrison / Waid / Porter / Hitch era of JLA.

Man, it sort of sounds like you just insulted Dwayne McDuffie, but I know I couldn't have heard that.

O..O~
12-10-2008, 09:32 PM
I can't believe I am saying this but I have really had my fill of Alex Maleev. His art just doesnt appeal to me anymore. I was really put off by his artwork in the dark reign one shot. I realized I can't stand that they rebooted Loki as a chick, osbourne looked like a 13 year old boy in a suit, emma looked like a baby faced teenager, and Namor looked like he was balding and going through a midlife crisis.

Why did they reboot loki as a chick again? Was it thor trying to get revenge on him or something? It really is one of those things that doesn't feel right at all and it makes you feel dirty reading it, you know what I mean?

teekun
12-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Just got back from the shop a couple of hours ago. Picked up a few things, Spider-Man, Invincible, Dark Reign. But the only book I've had the chance to read is the new issue of Terry Moore's new comic Echo. Fantastic stuff that I highly recommend just as long as you don't mind pure black and white line art.

onimaruxlr
12-10-2008, 09:52 PM
sray stop reading comics that make you so mad :(

Evil Dead Junkie
12-10-2008, 10:11 PM
But the only book I've had the chance to read is the new issue of Terry Moore's new comic Echo. Fantastic stuff that I highly recommend just as long as you don't mind pure black and white line art.

On a side note dose anyone else avoid The Essentials Collections because they've been decolorized?

I can't tell you how much that annoys me, it's almost worse then when Turner decided that It's A Wonderful Life would look much better with a puke color palate.

Sven
12-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Man, it sort of sounds like you just insulted Dwayne McDuffie, but I know I couldn't have heard that.

Well, I'm insulting his book, but it's like only 5% his fault that it sucks.

On a side note dose anyone else avoid The Essentials Collections because they've been decolorized?

Considering the colouring was easily the weakest element of the art... hell, no. As we were talking about earlier, artists like Romita and Aparo are much, much better in B&W (Aparo especially, as the colouring was the only thing he didn't do on his books - getting rid of it means whatever's on the page is his).

Figure Four
12-10-2008, 10:35 PM
The Employee Appreciation Week that I've been waiting for has finally arrived. (40% off everything!) Though I mostly bought DVDs and Christmas presents I did buy some comics I'd been sitting on.

-Knights of the Zodiac 23 & 24: I will never get tired of dudes in armor posing in front of elaborate backdrops while they shout out ridiculous move names. Never. I do kind of wished that the Bronze Knights did a bit more in these volumes though.

-Berserk 26: Man is Guts ever a badass.

-Monster 17: As much as I love this series I'm so stoked that we're really close to the release of 20th Century Boys and Pluto.

-Battle Angel Alita: Last Order 10: Supersonic Thumb Wrestling? Yesssssss!

-Bleach 25: Kind of slow as the big battle hasn't started yet. I like that they resolved the Evil Ichigo thing early rather than letting it drag on for eternity.

-Empowered 4: Featuring the Goddam Maidman. I love this book.

I also borrowed copies of Gotham Central Vol. 1 and the first volume of Matt Fraction's Iron Man run (sometimes working at a Borders has its perks) but haven't read them yet.

tungwene
12-10-2008, 11:00 PM
This going to be the Talking about Manga thread as well? In that case:

Mushishi 6 - Finally new stuff not covered in the anime. Really good volume (though aren't they all) and there's some plot related stuff, return of a minor reoccurring character and some new information about the nature of Mushi I never put two and two together about though now that it's occurred to me seems really obvious.

Aria 4 - God the cover art Tokyopop picks for this series really blows me away every single time. Undine training camp! Inexplicably at a beach! Inexplicably everyone wears (tasteful) swimsuits! And big bizarre cats! Everyone loves big bizarre cats!

Honey & Clover 4 - A Morita-less volume does not however mean a diminishing of the story's atmosphere. There was one really cute story not in anime that explained to me why the dogs all 'talk' that I really loved that also involved Rika and Rika is one of my favorite side characters so this was a plus for me.

Yakitate!! Japan 14 - The Monaco Cup arc comes to its exciting very epic conclusion. I have to say the ending was one of my favorite moments in the story so far and Hashiguchi is one sly bastard who's been planning this punch line from the very beginning of this arc starting from the creation of Pierrot's character. Supposedly things start going downhill, not just for the characters, but the entire series so I'll revel in my glow of euphoria while it lasts.

Badinage
12-10-2008, 11:04 PM

I can't tell you how much that annoys me, it's almost worse then when Turner decided that It's A Wonderful Life would look much better with a puke color palate.

I collect a few of them. While I do have Volume 1 of the Essential Dr. Strange, I definitely think that color was an extremely important part of that comic. Especially the Ditko years.

mrbuu82
12-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Bought/recieved in the last month or so:
-Black Jack volume 1 (Osamu Tezuka)

-Persepolis (Marjane Satrapi)

I re-read the first volume of Black Jack recently. It's nothing special, but I forgot how odd his assistant's origin was.

I grabbed Persepolis out of the library a few days ago. I hope to finish it in-between studying for finals.

JSA or JLA?

I could not get ahold of the Captain America TPBs, but I saw the first one for the new Justice Society series. I'll go back and grab it at some point. Thanks for the heads-up.

@Figure Four: Pluto is getting a U.S. release?!?

Octopus Prime
12-11-2008, 05:41 AM

Like Sven said, the coloring was usually AWFUL back then, so it looks a hell of a lot better in black and white.

teekun
12-11-2008, 05:53 AM
Like Sven said, the coloring was usually AWFUL back then, so it looks a hell of a lot better in black and white.

That said, the Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus looks fantastic in fully restored color.

sraymonds
12-11-2008, 05:54 AM
sray stop reading comics that make you so mad :(

I know :(

Nicholai
12-11-2008, 06:43 AM
I can't believe I am saying this but I have really had my fill of Alex Maleev. His art just doesnt appeal to me anymore. I was really put off by his artwork in the dark reign one shot. I realized I can't stand that they rebooted Loki as a chick, osbourne looked like a 13 year old boy in a suit, emma looked like a baby faced teenager, and Namor looked like he was balding and going through a midlife crisis.

Why did they reboot loki as a chick again? Was it thor trying to get revenge on him or something? It really is one of those things that doesn't feel right at all and it makes you feel dirty reading it, you know what I mean?

Loki is now a woman because when Thor started to release the Asgardians from the mortal bodies they inhabited Loki was in the body of a woman. The relevant plot point in that issue was that Thor thought that Sif would be in that body not Loki, but Sif is really trapped in a dying body by Loki.

I picked up:
Final Crisis #5: Outstanding
Final Crisis Revelations #4: Outstanding
Action Comics #872: Awesome
Secret Six #4: Haven't read yet.
Green Lantern Corps #31: Haven't read yet.
Justice League of America #27: Haven't read yet.

I know others that are on the other side of the fence, but I'm really enjoying Final Crisis and the fact that it is completely unlike any "event" ever done. The only thing I'm disappointed by is the art. JG Jones will really have to earn back some trust somewhere to be trusted with a big high-profile assignment again.

onimaruxlr
12-11-2008, 07:17 AM
Reading Final Crisis 5 really cemented to me how much I don't give a fuck about anyone in the DCU at the moment other than the Lanterns. Even Batman! I love Batman, in principal!

sraymonds
12-11-2008, 07:17 AM
I'm tired of EVENTS. That's where all my hate is coming from. Secret Invasion segued immediately into Dark Reign and DC had those 52 week series that led from one event to another.

I'm just tired, guys. I'm gonna go take a nap.

Nicholai
12-11-2008, 07:30 AM
I'm tired of EVENTS. That's where all my hate is coming from. Secret Invasion segued immediately into Dark Reign and DC had those 52 week series that led from one event to another.

I'm just tired, guys. I'm gonna go take a nap.

Then you're probably going to want to give up or move to a very few select titles that don't connect with most events. Final Crisis will wrap up in January and most likely by mid-summer they'll have Blackest Night going. While Marvel has been pushing that Dark Reign isn't an "event" there is something like 36 titles coming out with the Dark Reign banner by March. I hate the way Marvel has been doing it recently with Civil War, House of M, and Secret Invasion because they bleed their event into as many books as possible. Whether you like Final Crisis or not I think it is a different animal for DC as Final Crisis isn't bleeding into most of the ongoings beyond a couple random issues of JLA and the miniseries attached to Final Crisis.

sraymonds
12-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Blackest Night

Oh man I can't wait til Blackest Night! Zombie Lanterns! You can't go wrong! I eat up anything Green Lantern related.

Nicholai
12-11-2008, 07:57 AM
Oh man I can't wait til Blackest Night! Zombie Lanterns! You can't go wrong! I eat up anything Green Lantern related.

Well then on the upside you've got a lot to look forward to! I'm very excited for Blackest Night. GL and GL Corps have been extremely solid since the end of the Sinestro Corps War, and I think Blackest Night should be fantastic.

teekun
12-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Reading Final Crisis 5 really cemented to me how much I don't give a fuck about anyone in the DCU at the moment other than the Lanterns. Even Batman! I love Batman, in principal!

I've always loved Batman in principal, but with a few notable exceptions, I simply don't enjoy the comic. :(

Octopus Prime
12-11-2008, 04:13 PM
I've always loved Batman in principal, but with a few notable exceptions, I simply don't enjoy the comic. :(

Ditto.

teg
12-12-2008, 06:55 AM
Batman is a fantastic character, but -like most superheroes- is best handled by people with some sort of talent.

So, Battle angel Alita was interesting. It should be trite and clichť, given how standard most of the story elements are to science fiction. It comes together quite well, though. I'm interested in reading more sometime.

Currently reading Dramacon (borrowed from a friend). I would never have given this book a second glance if I hadn't read Svetlana Chmakova's excellent entry to the Flight anthologies ("On the Importance Of Space Travel"), and I'm very glad that I did. I may pick this up for myself.

Sven
12-12-2008, 11:48 AM
I picked up:
Final Crisis #5: Outstanding
Final Crisis Revelations #4: Outstanding
Action Comics #872: Awesome

I know others that are on the other side of the fence, but I'm really enjoying Final Crisis and the fact that it is completely unlike any "event" ever done. The only thing I'm disappointed by is the art. JG Jones will really have to earn back some trust somewhere to be trusted with a big high-profile assignment again.

Got FC#5 and... yeah, that was incredibly great. "WITH THREE BILLION HANDS!" And a God's iPod is certainly better than any other explanation of exactly what a Mother Box is than anything else I've ever read.

I'm not wholly loving the New Krypton story, since while it's very competently told from a storyline perspective, Supergirl's mom is a BITCH. You keep wanting Clark to just hit her already, but he's obviously not going to do that.

Going to get Revelations in TPB form, I think. Not a big fan of the art.

Also got Nightwing and 'Tec, both of which are pretty obviously treading water until Final Crisis is over. Harvey as Dick's arch-nemesis is a little weird, though - I liked totally sane guys like Blockbuster as Dick's bad guys, simply because you know you're not going into the "is he as crazy as the people he fights?" argument with Nightwing. Anyway, Nightwing was a nice throwback to the great "here's Dick's life in 22 pages" stories Dixon used to do every year or so. Who knows what the hell the symbolism of watching Seven Samurai was, though... Dick, Alfred and Tim are all "masterless", I guess, but if they really wanted to drive that home they should have had four other people in the room.

but -like most superheroes- is best handled by people with some sort of talent.

Grant Morrison and Paul Dini now. Denny O'Neil and Neil Gaiman next month. You find better writers, we'll talk.

Egarwaen
12-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Among other things, I picked up the first issue of the new Phonogram mini-series.

It is amazing. I think the concept - a series of one-shots about a bunch of different Phonomancers who just happen to be in the same club one night - is going to be a lot of fun.

I also picked up The War At Ellsmere by Faith Erin Hicks. I haven't read it yet (saving it for my flight back to Halifax next week), but it's about a couple of girls at a private boarding school. And some mythological animals. Hicks' work is generally very strong, and her greyscale artwork is amazing. Check it out!

mrbuu82
12-12-2008, 09:57 PM
I read through The Golden Age and Sandman Mystery Theater: The Vamp over the past two days. I liked the art from The Golden Age immensely, but Sandman Mystery Theater had a much better story. I need to find more Sandman Mystery Theater TPBs. Next up: Tatsumi's Goodbye.

On a side note, I have derailed from webcomics lately and most of the manga I follow online are at a standstill (no One Piece this week and D. Grayman is on hiatus for now). Eyeshield 21 continues to impress me though! I figured that this tournament would be a whole lot of fluff, but it appears to be more than just throw-away fanfic material. It might also be a build up to a new runner for the Deimon Devilbats. We shall see.

Anonymooo
12-12-2008, 10:24 PM
I like where the new Eyeshield arc is going. I'm just glad I haven't come across a Soviet Russia joke during the scanlations yet, although I can guarantee we'll have one before the end of the match.

liquid
12-12-2008, 10:59 PM
I also picked up The War At Ellsmere by Faith Erin Hicks. I haven't read it yet (saving it for my flight back to Halifax next week), but it's about a couple of girls at a private boarding school. And some mythological animals. Hicks' work is generally very strong, and her greyscale artwork is amazing. Check it out!
Man, I bought some Demonology 101 art off her when I was in high school. It's still on my wall!

I really need to pick this book up.

David Cartoon
12-12-2008, 11:34 PM
I picked up Moon Knight: God and Country. Pretty good, but man, I don't remember the last trade I picked up costing $20 bucks.

Nicholai
12-13-2008, 12:08 AM
Got FC#5 and... yeah, that was incredibly great. "WITH THREE BILLION HANDS!" And a God's iPod is certainly better than any other explanation of exactly what a Mother Box is than anything else I've ever read.

I'm not wholly loving the New Krypton story, since while it's very competently told from a storyline perspective, Supergirl's mom is a BITCH. You keep wanting Clark to just hit her already, but he's obviously not going to do that.

Going to get Revelations in TPB form, I think. Not a big fan of the art.

Also got Nightwing and 'Tec, both of which are pretty obviously treading water until Final Crisis is over. Harvey as Dick's arch-nemesis is a little weird, though - I liked totally sane guys like Blockbuster as Dick's bad guys, simply because you know you're not going into the "is he as crazy as the people he fights?" argument with Nightwing. Anyway, Nightwing was a nice throwback to the great "here's Dick's life in 22 pages" stories Dixon used to do every year or so. Who knows what the hell the symbolism of watching Seven Samurai was, though... Dick, Alfred and Tim are all "masterless", I guess, but if they really wanted to drive that home they should have had four other people in the room.

Grant Morrison and Paul Dini now. Denny O'Neil and Neil Gaiman next month. You find better writers, we'll talk.

Yeah, we definitely see eye to eye on FC. I think that this is the best Darkseid has been done since Kirby himself.

I'm enjoying New Krypton because, unlike others I know, I like the idea that they're showing what makes Superman great isn't his Kryptonian powers but Clark Kent and the man he is. The fact that they are being so harsh showing Alura's personality and the fact that Kryptonians were getting slaughtered in this weeks issue, I'm enjoying it. Don't get me wrong though, the #1 thing I'm looking forward to in terms of Superman is the Geoff Johns/Gary Frank Superman Secret Origin mini coming out this year.

I didn't read RIP or Heart of Hush as they came out, but I think I'm going to pick up both trades and definitely gotta pick up the Gaiman stuff when it comes out.

mrbuu82
12-13-2008, 12:10 AM
I like where the new Eyeshield arc is going. I'm just glad I haven't come across a Soviet Russia joke during the scanlations yet, although I can guarantee we'll have one before the end of the match.

You mean the "In Soviet Russia, ______ ________s you!" joke? I can see it happening, but I think they might try to do something more with the "Lord Chainsaw" nickname.

Now, I'm wondering what the heck the rookie is capable of doing.

Anonymooo
12-13-2008, 02:05 AM
They're just going to keep us waiting until Agon's secondary team gives out.

Or will they?

Evil Dead Junkie
12-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Batman 682: I kind of already like this better then all of RIP put together. That said, just what the fuck happened to Batwoman?

Angel #14-haven't read yet.

Ambush Bug 4-5: Even though I don't get half the jokes I love the crazy. The opening Dan Dido Dark Knight parody was golden complete with Jann Jones screaming "Why does he have to run!!!"

I Kill Giants 6: Still wonderful and kind of heart breaking.

Final Crisis 5: No sir, I don't like it.

The Age Of The Sentry: Good clean retro fun.

The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz: So beautiful looking it will melt your eyes.

Joker: Fucking Terrible.

David Cartoon
12-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the Sentry.

Sven
12-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Batman 682: I kind of already like this better then all of RIP put together. That said, just what the fuck happened to Batwoman?

Well, aside from the fact that it was all a dream sequence (this takes place while Batman's strapped in that torture chair during Final Crisis), that's the Batwoman from the early 50s (when she was added to the books to counter the post-Seduction-of-the-Innocent implication that Batman was a gay paedophile). Not the one from more recently. It's all part of Morrison's theory that EVERYTHING that's ever happened to Batman has actually happened to him, although from the looks of things it's a lot less literal than he was implying. More like it's concievable that everything's happened.

Yeah, we definitely see eye to eye on FC. I think that this is the best Darkseid has been done since Kirby himself.

I'm still slightly more partial to the JLU version, because they got the whole "you're not worth my time, but I'm going to kill you just as a demonstration of my power" tone so perfectly with him whenever he was used.

I'm enjoying New Krypton because, unlike others I know, I like the idea that they're showing what makes Superman great isn't his Kryptonian powers but Clark Kent and the man he is.

Hm. Good point. I'm actually a bit upset that they're not dragging this out, because Johns is throwing a LOT of stuff in there on an issue-to-issue basis (which is when he's at his best, like during his Flash run). But I'm not a big fan of the secret origin concept, because a lot of the stuff Johns is inevitably going to include (Superboy, the Legion, etc.) is stuff that I've always been perfectly happy that it was erased from history by Byrne and then Waid's versions.

Kinda weird how invisible Lois has been during all of this, though.

Evil Dead Junkie
12-14-2008, 12:11 AM
Well, aside from the fact that it was all a dream sequence (this takes place while Batman's strapped in that torture chair during Final Crisis), that's the Batwoman from the early 50s (when she was added to the books to counter the post-Seduction-of-the-Innocent implication that Batman was a gay paedophile). Not the one from more recently. It's all part of Morrison's theory that EVERYTHING that's ever happened to Batman has actually happened to him, although from the looks of things it's a lot less literal than he was implying. More like it's concievable that everything's happened.

Right but I'm referring more to the crazy thing that is eating her soul. Did she die in some horrible way I don't know about?

Sven
12-14-2008, 07:34 AM
Right but I'm referring more to the crazy thing that is eating her soul. Did she die in some horrible way I don't know about?

I *think* that was Morrison's way of dramatising what happened during Crisis (the "two souls" thing referring to multiple realities), but the timeline around that doesn't match up perfectly (since Dick wasn't Robin anymore at that point).

Come to think of it, I was actually surprised that he didn't try to explain away why Jason went from a kid with an almost identical origin to Dick to a street kid stealing tires off the Batmobile.

tungwene
12-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Currently reading Dramacon (borrowed from a friend). I would never have given this book a second glance if I hadn't read Svetlana Chmakova's excellent entry to the Flight anthologies ("On the Importance Of Space Travel"), and I'm very glad that I did. I may pick this up for myself.Dramacon is really awesome. I'm proud to say I own all three original volumes and the hard cover ultimate edition. This series alone validates Tokyopop's entire existence.

I also picked up The War At Ellsmere by Faith Erin Hicks. I haven't read it yet (saving it for my flight back to Halifax next week), but it's about a couple of girls at a private boarding school. And some mythological animals. Hicks' work is generally very strong, and her greyscale artwork is amazing. Check it out!Need to pick this one up. And glad to see a few fellow D101 fans in this thread.

Evil Dead Junkie
12-14-2008, 06:44 PM
I really disliked her first Graphic Novel Zombie's Calling.

Willing to give her another shot, just not one I have to pay for.

Evil Dead Junkie
12-14-2008, 06:45 PM
I *think* that was Morrison's way of dramatising what happened during Crisis (the "two souls" thing referring to multiple realities), but the timeline around that doesn't match up perfectly (since Dick wasn't Robin anymore at that point).

Come to think of it, I was actually surprised that he didn't try to explain away why Jason went from a kid with an almost identical origin to Dick to a street kid stealing tires off the Batmobile.

Oh so that was her getting erased from continuity (We're talking about the first Crisis yeah?)...

That's actually kind of cool... Fuck I need to stop this before I accidently end up liking Morrison.

Sven
12-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Oh so that was her getting erased from continuity (We're talking about the first Crisis yeah?)...

That's actually kind of cool... Fuck I need to stop this before I accidently end up liking Morrison.

I *think* so. But then Morrison's tossing in so much weirdly cool stuff recently that I have no idea what he's thinking.

EG: You know how people were riding motorbikes during FC#5? Well, they were motorbikes made from the Metal Men.

Egarwaen
12-15-2008, 03:11 PM
EG: You know how people were riding motorbikes during FC#5? Well, they were really Jimmy Olson.

Could that be him flipping the bird to DiDio? Scuttlebutt is that he has a serious nerd-on for the Metal Men.

Kyven
12-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Doktor Sleepless #10
Invincible Iron Man #8
Madman Atomic Comics #12

At least that's what I would be buying this week if my local comic shop wasn't closing down.

teekun
12-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Doktor Sleepless #10
Invincible Iron Man #8
Madman Atomic Comics #12

At least that's what I would be buying this week if my local comic shop wasn't closing down.

That is the saddest thing :(

teg
12-17-2008, 03:36 AM
Grant Morrison and Paul Dini now. Denny O'Neil and Neil Gaiman next month. You find better writers, we'll talk.Sure, (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103359/) loads. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/)
What I was getting at had little to do with who is writing the comics at any given time and everything to do with all superheroes in recent years being consistently more popular, acclaimed, and arguably just better in mediums outside of comics. I doubt that even Neil Gaiman is going to make me like Batman outside of animation and film, especially when one of the most -perhaps the most- acclaimed Batman comics out there (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Knight_Returns) is one of the worst pieces of fiction I've ever read, comics or otherwise.I also picked up The War At Ellsmere by Faith Erin Hicks. I haven't read it yet (saving it for my flight back to Halifax next week), but it's about a couple of girls at a private boarding school. And some mythological animals. Hicks' work is generally very strong, and her greyscale artwork is amazing. Check it out!My instructor was FEH's mentor. True story.
I asked for Zombies Calling for Christmas, since it basically looks like Shaun of the Dead if it were drawn by Bryan Lee O'Malley. I don't expect it to be great, but we'll see. I like to support semi-local talent.

Picked up Black Jack v.2 and Garfield Minus Garfield.

Battle Angel Alita is a lot better than it should be considering how painfully standard most of the plot elements are. There a lot of little quirks that just barely make it edge out into the "something to continue reading someday" pile.
Garfield Minus Garfield is short and cheap. The main reasons to buy it are for the foreword and afterword, Jim Davis' own G-G strips, and so that you don't have to wait for images to load.
Black Jack is amazing. No matter what the situation, Tezuka's stories are consistently sobering.

Egarwaen
12-17-2008, 02:50 PM
especially when one of the most -perhaps the most- acclaimed Batman comics out there (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Knight_Returns) is one of the worst pieces of fiction I've ever read, comics or otherwise.

I'm not fond of any of Miller's work. I've never tried TDKR in particular, but I really doubt I'll like it.

I asked for Zombies Calling for Christmas, since it basically looks like Shaun of the Dead if it were drawn by Bryan Lee O'Malley. I don't expect it to be great, but we'll see. I like to support semi-local talent.

Zombies Calling is fun and clever. It's not particularly great story. It's an amusing tale about a bunch of kids at a college that gets attacked by zombies.

Nicholai
12-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Sure, (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103359/) loads. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/)
What I was getting at had little to do with who is writing the comics at any given time and everything to do with all superheroes in recent years being consistently more popular, acclaimed, and arguably just better in mediums outside of comics. I doubt that even Neil Gaiman is going to make me like Batman outside of animation and film, especially when one of the most -perhaps the most- acclaimed Batman comics out there (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Knight_Returns)

Paul Dini, having just finished a run on Detective Comics and the seemingly good Heart of Hush storyline, was the man responsible for several of the most memorable episodes of the animated series.

teekun
12-17-2008, 04:53 PM
I'm not fond of any of Miller's work. I've never tried TDKR in particular, but I really doubt I'll like it.

Of all the Frank Miller works to overlook, that is not the one.

AJR
12-17-2008, 05:46 PM
I’m not a big fan of TDKR either, but I really enjoyed Batman: Year One. I think I can largely attribute it to the fact that it mostly stays grounded in reality and isn’t drawn by Miller. Plus, it's just as much about Gordon as it is Batman.

You know, thinking about it, those are the only two Batman trades I own. I’ll have to change that at some point in the future.

Guy
12-17-2008, 06:00 PM
There are two Miller Batmans: Year One's cool, collected novice Batman and TDKR's cold bastard Batman. As far as I know, Year One is the only time you ever see cool, collected novice Batman. I like this Batman! And I like Year One. Cold bastard Batman eventually evolved into brutal fucking tyrant Batman in whatever Miller has written since the Dark Knight Strikes Again. So I like The Dark Knight Returns okay, I just have a hard time appreciating Batman's Dirty Harry Callahan shit anymore.

O..O~
12-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Ex Machina issue 40 was a pure hillarity. I saw the cover on the stands and was like "what is bkv doing on the cover of his own comic?" and found a hilarious story about bkv and tony harris being audtioned to draw hundred's memoir. The ending bit with Ennis and Jim lee ending up being the ones chosen to do the memoir is great.

teg
12-18-2008, 09:22 AM
I have yet to see Frank Miller do anything interesting, myself.Paul Dini, having just finished a run on Detective Comics and the seemingly good Heart of Hush storyline, was the man responsible for several of the most memorable episodes of the animated series.Neato. I may or may not look into this eventually, but most likely not.Zombies Calling is fun and clever. It's not particularly great story. It's an amusing tale about a bunch of kids at a college that gets attacked by zombies.I hear her new book is an improvement and that the big draw of Zombies Calling is that her capacity to improve is pretty readily apparent.

So anyway, pre-orders:
-I am trying to get Viz's run of Phoenix. Why is it so expensive?
-Bryan Lee O'Malley is pencilling the last chapoter of Scott Pilgrim vs. The Universe as we speak (type). ARE YOU EXCITED I AM EXCITED
-Dark Horse's Astro Boy run is deceptively hard to come by. I am really disappointed that I only got three of them while I was in Maine (They had most of the series, but not number four and I'm a total nerd for keeping things in order. I really need to hurry up and get Fullmetal Alchemist volumes 8-13 so that I can get rid of the only hole on my shelf).

Nicholai
12-18-2008, 09:25 AM
This week I bought:

Supergirl: Good stuff and continuation of New Krypton.
Manhunter: Meh.
Thor: God-sized Special: Okay.

Not the best of weeks.

Sven
12-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Manhunter was reasonably good, but not what it could've been.

Fables, however, was awesome in terms of pure shock value, even if the main story was truncated. But talk about your shake-ups to a well-established status quo (as well as a nice explanation of exactly how everything worked... seconds before it all came crashing down.

Nicholai
12-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Manhunter was reasonably good, but not what it could've been.

Fables, however, was awesome in terms of pure shock value, even if the main story was truncated. But talk about your shake-ups to a well-established status quo (as well as a nice explanation of exactly how everything worked... seconds before it all came crashing down.

I guess I didn't like the future aspect of it though I can see how he'd want to end the series like this.

I agree with your earlier point that I actually think with all they are taking on New Krypton could probably stand to be a few issues longer. I like it when it is emphasized both that Superman is great because of Clark Kent and his upbringing and also how he inspires others (ie. the new Superwoman).

I sort of agree with the new Superman Secret Origin though while I can do without Superboy (or at least Clark being Superboy - I have no problem with Conner) I do like the refitting of his time with the Legion. I just would rather he had spent time with them early on in his career as Superman than when he was Superboy. I just think the Legion is a lot weaker without having him in their continuity. He (in boy or man form) doesn't necessarily need to be there, but so much was ruined when he was ripped from their continuity following CoIE.

MikeDinosaur
12-21-2008, 12:46 PM
So I'm reading Morrison's run of Doom Patrol; I'm about fifteen issues in and... I guess I'm running out of patience. I feel like every issue is 80 % exposition of plot points out of nowhere. I guess if I were being charitable I would call it very inventive, because every issue five hundred things happen and twelve hundred different looking bad guys emerge, but I feel like it is just flailing all the time. I want to shake this comic and say "Settle down!" It's very attractively drawn though, and I did like the painting that ate Paris storyline because I felt like the conclusion followed at least somewhat logically from the premise. I thought maybe he just needed to do more multi-issue stories, but then the De-Creator had all the problems of the shorter pieces. Does it ever settle down? I like the drawings, it's a neat premise, and I like some of Morrison's goofy stuff like Doom Force.

PatientBeast
12-21-2008, 11:57 PM
So I finally went and bought Vol 2 of Osamu Tezuka's "Buddha" (I already read the first one while waiting at a B&N). I always liked Tezuka's work but never went out and bought any of his books, except now, and I have to say I'm not disappointed. I wish there was a way to get all of the "Buddha" volumes into one edition because I already want to buy the rest. =/

keele864
12-26-2008, 03:29 PM
I bought the third volume of Manhunter and Batman 683.

Batman was good, though I wish Morrison didn't end it with "find out what happens in Final Crisis!" Good fun though; I really liked Morrison's Batman run, and am looking forward to the day it's all out in paperback.

Manhunter: Origins was fantastic - It makes me very sad there are only two trades left (and one isn't even published yet). I sometimes think Manhunter could make a really good movie with a few tweaks. Heck, it's even set in L.A.!

Badinage
12-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Due to Christmas, I obtained volume two of The Immortal Iron Fist. I have to say, Fraction and Brubaker have done amazing job, just as with the book's first story. A mystical martial arts tournament, an action, hard-boiled crime film and straight up adventured combined seamlessly? They have my respect.

Egarwaen
12-27-2008, 09:04 AM
Due to Christmas, I obtained volume two of The Immortal Iron Fist. I have to say, Fraction and Brubaker have done amazing job, just as with the book's first story. A mystical martial arts tournament, an action, hard-boiled crime film and straight up adventured combined seamlessly? They have my respect.

Damn, now I'm going to have to check this out.

AJR
12-27-2008, 09:17 AM
I bought the Daredevil vol 3 hardcover using Christmas money. I can see myself grabbing every hardcover over the next couple of months. It's just that good.

Badinage
12-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Damn, now I'm going to have to check this out.

Be sure to pick up volume one too. If you haven't.

Egarwaen
12-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Be sure to pick up volume one too. If you haven't.

I haven't, but now I must. Because it sounds vaguely like a modern comic book version of the Master Li Kao and Number Ten Ox stories, and those were so very, very good.

Sven
12-30-2008, 08:31 AM
Manhunter: Origins was fantastic - It makes me very sad there are only two trades left (and one isn't even published yet). I sometimes think Manhunter could make a really good movie with a few tweaks. Heck, it's even set in L.A.!

Just like Daredevil, it'd make for a better TV series than movie - Law and Order with superheroes, as it were.

Kyven
01-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Batman #684
Batman Cacophony #2
Northlanders #13
Incognito #1 (Five issue miniseries from Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips. Check out the nine page preview here (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=1591&disp=table))

Nicholai
01-02-2009, 07:14 PM
This week I had:

Justice League of America #28: Pretty good.
Justice Society of America #22: Very good.
Green Lantern #36: Good.
Final Crisis: Secret Files: Good background, but not essential (though I didn't expect it to be)
Batman #684: Okay with great moments.
Superman #683: Fantastic.

Good week all in all and January is shaping up to have a number of good comics for me.

keele864
01-03-2009, 12:02 AM
Just like Daredevil, it'd make for a better TV series than movie - Law and Order with superheroes, as it were.

I can see that too. Though I might drop the Law and Order format for slightly longer plot arcs. I maintain that Manhunter could work as a movie, though you would necessarily lose all the links between Kate Spencer and the DCU as a whole - There's simply too much plot and exposition required, especially as many of the stories deal with fairly obscure characters. Though I think you're right - it would be best as a TV show.

In other news, I ordered the fourth trade, but it has yet to arrive. I gather Batman has a cameo in this. Awesome.

cortbassist89
01-03-2009, 12:53 AM
okay so i remember reading about a justice league comic in which someone steals the batman's notes on how to kill each justice league member, and attempts to do so; can anyone help me with the name of this, because i want this.

keele864
01-03-2009, 12:54 AM
okay so i remember reading about a justice league comic in which someone steals the batman's notes on how to kill each justice league member, and attempts to do so; can anyone help me with the name of this, because i want this.

JLA Tower of Babel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/index.html?curid=8916705)? (Wikipedia article has spoilers)

cortbassist89
01-03-2009, 12:59 AM
JLA Tower of Babel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/index.html?curid=8916705)? (Wikipedia article has spoilers)
Ah yes, that even had a link to the article I first read mentioning this.

Thanks!

Now to half.com I go...

Psyael
01-03-2009, 01:48 AM
It's all part of Morrison's theory that EVERYTHING that's ever happened to Batman has actually happened to him, although from the looks of things it's a lot less literal than he was implying. More like it's concievable that everything's happened.

I have at theory based on how Crisis books have a lot of bizarre reality-distortion plot devices that cause fans to have to bite the bullet and accept someone's entirely new history or understand that the past 30 years issues suddenly didn't happen, such as Superboy-Prime punching someone and changing their origin story in an instance.

My guess was that Bats was dreaming up pre-Crisis stuff as total bullshit to throw off the creature probing his brain. It's been established as fact now that Darkseid's presence is completely ruining time and space and history, so it's possible that these red herrings Bats is dreaming up are going to become Things That Actually Happened when the Crisis is over and reality returns to normal. Not necessarily that Batman actually lived through these events, but because they leaked out of his head and into the tatters of history the entire universe will accept that some of these lies have happened by the time all is done. So, he can a 35 year old guy who has been fighting crime for 60 years because of reality's goofs.

Sven
01-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Ah yes, that even had a link to the article I first read mentioning this.

Thanks!

Now to half.com I go...

Trivia note: they wanted to do almost that exact story in the second season of JLU, but because Ra's was embargoed by Batman Begins, it was rejected.

So there's one negative about the Nolan movies after all. :)

My guess was that Bats was dreaming up pre-Crisis stuff as total bullshit to throw off the creature probing his brain. I

The thing is, there's been a lot of that stuff leaking into Batman prior to Last Rites, as well - most of the setup for RIP touched on some of the 50s whacky story stuff. A lot of that was admittedly when Bruce had been drugged, so your theory still works for the most part. It'd be neat if that had happened, but I think Morrison's going to pull something bigger out of the air for the FC conclusion.

re: Manhunter - I don't think you necessarily need to link Kate up with the rest of the DCU in order for the character to work. Just play the whole "she's a DA who takes the law into her own hands" angle out to its logical conclusion, sort of like a reverse Dexter.

Went through a lot of stuff this week for various reasons:

JSA - PRAISE JESUS THE ARC IS OVER! Ended well enough (although if all it took to kill, well, God was to behead him you get a kind of "wait, that's it?" sense), but now it's time for Black f'n Adam.

Superman - Yeah, this was *really* good. Robinson always did "epic" really well (even if Starman never went that far in that direction), and he smartly worked out a way to have the JLA / JSA (this lineup is close to the one leaked for his Justice League book) go toe-to-toe with the Kryptonians before the ending. Which was fun, because it's one of those great "oh, yeah, I should've thought of that..." plot points.

Got Teen Titans #66 for my Blue Beetle fix. I know, I know, the book's been horrible at times, but these "recruit new members" issues always work well. I like the idea of Cassie taking over as leader (McKeever probably had to do that), but given what happened in Final Crisis does it really make sense to use Calculator as the next bad guy? Anyway, McKeever's obviously just writing Jamie & Co. as Spidey & Co from his Mary Jane run, but... that works perfectly. But a really good issue overall, and Red Devil and Blue Beetle as the new version of Booster & Beetle works very well.

JLA - Well, it wasn't Benes' worst effort. But he's still about 1/10th the artist he was a couple of years ago, which is sad.

Flipped through Secret Files so I didn't need to bother buying it. About twenty pages too long on the Libra origin, but I like the idea of the new Aquaman costume. It'd be nice to actually SEE HIM, though. Morrison's set up about three or four potential characters to serve as the calvarly riding in for FC#7.

Octopus Prime
01-05-2009, 05:23 AM
I picked up Transformers: Spotlight Volume 3.

I have a bit of a love/hate thing with IDWs TF series. On the one hand, it's telling, arguably, the best Transformers story ever. On the other, you've got on average 3 seperate books a month that you need to be able to understand it.

Any time I even get vaguely disappointed, sudden;y "Oh, hey, the bad guy is freakin' Nova Prime!" or "Oops, the Deathbringer is here".

And I am thusly resmitten.

ajr82
01-05-2009, 08:17 AM
I picked up Transformers: Spotlight Volume 3.

I have a bit of a love/hate thing with IDWs TF series. On the one hand, it's telling, arguably, the best Transformers story ever. On the other, you've got on average 3 seperate books a month that you need to be able to understand it.

Any time I even get vaguely disappointed, sudden;y "Oh, hey, the bad guy is freakin' Nova Prime!" or "Oops, the Deathbringer is here".

And I am thusly resmitten.

What they're doing to that continuity with All Hail Megatron makes me very sad.

Octopus Prime
01-05-2009, 12:41 PM
What they're doing to that continuity with All Hail Megatron makes me very sad.

I haven't found Revelations or AHM, yet. What happened in it?

ajr82
01-05-2009, 01:06 PM
I haven't found Revelations or AHM, yet. What happened in it?

Revelations compresses the ending to the whole Dead Universe story into 4 issues. It's well-done, but really could have benefitted from a bit more space.

AHM picks up a year later. All the Autobots are on Cybertron, and the Decepticons start an all-out assault on Earth. I read 4 issues of it before deciding to wait for the trade, and it was basically 4 issues of Decepticons posturing and killing humans. It basically throws out all the world-building and characterization of the other IDW stuff completely. It's essentially the first volume of the Dreamwave book all over again, and I really, really can't stand it.

Octopus Prime
01-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Revelations compresses the ending to the whole Dead Universe story into 4 issues. It's well-done, but really could have benefitted from a bit more space.

The entire Dead Universe arc was resolved that quickly? Cripes, that was practically my favorite part of whole series! They bring back Unicron every time they need a big threat to unite the Bots and Cons, and the one time they use something different (though not wholly unique), it gets wrapped up like that?

Now I'm sad!

mrbuu82
01-06-2009, 11:07 PM
I read through Persepolis over the past week or two. I really liked the art style and the story gave me the same kind of feeling that the first volume of Maus did. Now I really want to see the movie.

I also read Abandon the Old in Tokyo and Goodbye by Yoshihiro Tatsumi. Both of the books read like James Joyce's Dubliners with an emphasis on Japan in the 1970s instead of Ireland in the early 1900s. The perverse gekiga style is prevalent in these stories, but the metaphorical messages within them still resonates. Both books were interesting, but I ultimately preferred Osamu Tezuka's Ode to Kirohito, which is also utilizes the gekiga style.

Lastly, One Piece continues to amaze and astound me with every issue.

Balrog
01-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Astro Boy Vol. 1 & 2

Battle Angel Alita Rusty Angel Vol. 1

Pinky & Stinky - I've liked everything else I've read by Kochalka so I decided to give this a whirl.

Kyven
01-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Detective Comics #852
Invincible Iron Man #9
Anna Mercury #5
Doktor Sleepless #11
No Hero #3

nadia
01-07-2009, 03:55 PM
To my great joy, I was sent a copy of Me and the Devil Blues #2.

(*Mexican hat dance*)

tungwene
01-07-2009, 04:02 PM
I got Skip Beat 6 & 7 and will possibly be getting more later this week whenever Borders sees fit to e-mail me this week's coupons.

I also read Abandon the Old in Tokyo and Goodbye by Yoshihiro Tatsumi. Both of the books read like James Joyce's Dubliners with an emphasis on Japan in the 1970s instead of Ireland in the early 1900s. The perverse gekiga style is prevalent in these stories, but the metaphorical messages within them still resonates. Both books were interesting, but I ultimately preferred Osamu Tezuka's Ode to Kirohito, which is also utilizes the gekiga style.I got those two Yoshihiro Tatsumi books and The Push Man for Christmas. So far I've been reading The Push Man but can only digest it in little bite-sized chunks since all of the stories are so goddamn depressing. Good but depressing.

liquid
01-07-2009, 07:02 PM
I got Skip Beat 6 & 7 and will possibly be getting more later this week whenever Borders sees fit to e-mail me this week's coupons.
God, I love this series. It's nice to have a shoujo protagonist who, rather than letting everyone in the series trample all over her, calls forth fucking demons to paralyze her enemies and tells a sobbing little girl to shut the fuck up and stop trying to use tears to get sympathy. My favorite parts are when she first figures out a role, and we get treated to an entire chapter of how amazing and badass of an actress she is.

Anyone know of more shoujo manga with protagonists that are completely rad (I already ordered the latest Nana yesterday)?

tungwene
01-07-2009, 07:32 PM
God, I love this series. It's nice to have a shoujo protagonist who, rather than letting everyone in the series trample all over her, calls forth fucking demons to paralyze her enemies and tells a sobbing little girl to shut the fuck up and stop trying to use tears to get sympathy. My favorite parts are when she first figures out a role, and we get treated to an entire chapter of how amazing and badass of an actress she is.

Anyone know of more shoujo manga with protagonists that are completely rad (I already ordered the latest Nana yesterday)?I love this series so much too. Kyoko's character really drives the series. I think she's the only female character I can think of who regularly goes off the introspective deep end and starts musing on how terrible her life is but then turns around and digs herself the fuck out of that pit without turning into an emo mess every single time.

Hmm, other strong female protagonists. I'm drawing a blank at the moment but since I can't just nip on over to my bookshelf but Basara's Sarasa (pretends to be her dead twin brother to lead her people in rebellion) channels similar qualities to Kyoko.

Evil Dead Junkie
01-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Rukia from Bleach was, then kind of a suffered a women in fridges type depowering.

She had some badass moments in the filler arc were they used this to her advantage (IE she's depowered but still able to choke an immortal vamp bitch with just a busted ass sword and her wits).

But on the main arc she just gets smacked around, even though she's back to full strength.

teekun
01-07-2009, 10:40 PM
I bought 4 weeks worth of comics today so the list is pretty ridiculous, but most notable is issue 2 of the latest Umbrella Academy arc which I am REALLY excited for.

mrbuu82
01-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Nico Robin from One Piece was, then kind of a suffered a women in fridges type depowering.

This woman was snapping necks and backs until she got captured for a whole story arc. Since then, she has really been left on the sidelines and it's a real shame.

Maybe the female protagonist from Stone Ocean?

liquid
01-07-2009, 11:56 PM
As fun as Nico Robin and Rukia are (although I'm more of a Tatsuki fan), I'm really looking for shoujo leads, not shonen.

Badinage
01-08-2009, 12:38 AM
In terms of trades, this week I managed to get, among others:

Immortal Iron Fist Volume 3: Book of the Iron Fist

Queen and Country Volume 1

In terms of individual issues, I picked up Kick-Ass #5.

I have to say, so far I'm really enjoying Kick-Ass. Mark Millar may be known to overhype his work, and I know that the "realistic super-hero" motif has been done to death. However, I think Millar manages to do it extremely well. John Romita, Jr.'s artwork is amazingly well-done as well. A shame about the delays, but eh.

mrbuu82
01-08-2009, 06:45 AM
As fun as Nico Robin and Rukia are (although I'm more of a Tatsuki fan), I'm really looking for shoujo leads, not shonen.

Does Battle Angel Alita count? Or Ouran High School Host Club?

Excitemike
01-08-2009, 07:03 AM
Man, I bought comics almost a month ago and I still haven't gotten to read them yet. It's depressing. I have a bookshelf dedicated solely to my comics backlog.

They had Naruto at Wal-Mart last night, so I picked up a volume. I'm not sure what I read last and I don't really care. I mostly followed the series through Shonen Jump and I missed issues all the time. It reminded me of when Mark Waid was writing The Flash, I couldn't follow every issue but when I happened to be somewhere that sold comics it was my go-to. I never felt punished because I skipped a few months. I used to be really uptight about reading manga in chronological order but I realized for longer series it's not really different from superhero books, or at least from how I buy them. If you have some familiarity with the series you can dive in anywhere.

Nicholai
01-08-2009, 07:13 AM
I bought:

Secret Six #5: Fantastic
Solomon Grundy #1: Meh.

tungwene
01-08-2009, 10:59 AM
As fun as Nico Robin and Rukia are (although I'm more of a Tatsuki fan), I'm really looking for shoujo leads, not shonen.I have thought of more.

Swan - Masumi is a ballet student making her way through the competitive world of ballet

Tramps Like Us - Sumire is a journalist down on her luck who one day finds a young man sleeping in a box in front of her apartment and decides to 'adopt' him. This is josei and not shoujo.

Love*Com - Risa is the tallest girl in her class and falls in love with the shortest boy in her class and spends the entire series trying to get him to take her seriously. She ends up crying a lot but then she does get her heart broken a lot but is not easily discouraged.

Paradise Kiss - Caroline falls in with a group of bohemian fashion students. Essentially about her trying to find herself and pursue her dreams which puts her conflict with her parents' wishes. Also josei, not shoujo.

Princess Tutu - Subversive magical girl series involving ballet. The premise revolves around the power of stories and Ahiru trying to break free from the narrative conventions of the role she is cast in. The anime is much better than the manga though.

Walking Butterfly - Michiko is trying to become a runway model. Also josei, not shoujo.

W Juliet - It's about two students trying to become actors who always get cast together into roles of the opposite gender for their school plays. Ito, the girl who always ends up playing the guy parts, is very tall and a tomboy in real life.

Sven
01-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Secret Six #5: Fantastic

Only book I bothered with, and, indeed, this was great. I nearly picked up Terror Titans for the combination of Static and the Joe Bennett art, but I figure I'll just grab it in trade.

Weirdly quiet week overall, it seemed like. Or did a new issue of Batman or Tec come out and I just missed it due to the cover gimmick throwing me off?

Nicholai
01-09-2009, 08:27 AM
Only book I bothered with, and, indeed, this was great. I nearly picked up Terror Titans for the combination of Static and the Joe Bennett art, but I figure I'll just grab it in trade.

Weirdly quiet week overall, it seemed like. Or did a new issue of Batman or Tec come out and I just missed it due to the cover gimmick throwing me off?

New issue of Detective came out with Hush on the cover. Written by Dini.

Agreed. Secret Six is fantastic, though the sales aren't so hot but I hope it stays around for a good run.

Sven
01-09-2009, 08:58 AM
New issue of Detective came out with Hush on the cover. Written by Dini.

Really? Dammit. I hate this Faces of Evil thing, since it means I can't just glance at a cover image and immedately know what book it is. At least with some of the past ones (portraits, the great "interacting with the environment" month) it was easy.

Nicholai
01-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Really? Dammit. I hate this Faces of Evil thing, since it means I can't just glance at a cover image and immedately know what book it is. At least with some of the past ones (portraits, the great "interacting with the environment" month) it was easy.

I agree. Some of the covers are quite cool looking, but I wish they'd just try to keep the title of the book prominent.

teg
01-09-2009, 12:33 PM
I really want to read more shoujo but the only things I can usually find are heterosexual romance. There's nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't exactly work for me.

Picked up "Hey, Wait..." by Jason after seeing it out of the corner of my eye when I went to pick up Astro Boy volumes 4-7. Will post reviews later maybe I dunno.

Evil Dead Junkie
01-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Spiderman #129: Man I hope Ultimatum doesn't fuck this series up.

Age Of The Sentry #4: I have no idea where this is going but I love it.

Dark Tower: Deception #4: This series is starting to play with established continuity to damn much for it's own good. This is what happens when you give a fangirl (or boy) the keys to kingdom.

Daredevil #114: Brubaker knows how to turn the screws.

Incognito: See Above.

Buffy #20/21: This thing really needs it's momentum back.

Batman #683: This is my favorite thing I've read by Grant Morrison. I love how the clones have no choice but to kill themselves as they are not awesome enough to be Batman.

Batman Cacophony #2: Entertaining, not a whole lot else to say about it.

Angel #15: Unread

Umbrella Academy #2: SO FUCKING GOOD.

Kick Ass #5: OK, but not the Un PC kick in the balls I expect the series to be. Would probably have been fine if not delayed so bad. Romita's art is mad sloppy in a few places.

Evil Dead Junkie
01-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Oh and earlier in trades:

V Is For Vendetta (10 Bucks!): Wanted From Hell settled with this old favorite instead.

Ultimate Spiderman Vol. 2 and 3: It's fun to go back to these.

Ample Vigour
01-10-2009, 12:41 AM
Eyeshield 21 Vol. 23: Much improved from the last volume (which was fairly obviously handled by the art and writing B-team.) The pacing picks up and I love how they're setting up the future showdowns. These guys read a lot of Mitsuru Adachi and they learned all the right lessons from it.

Hellsing Vol. 9: I want to know who on the Young King Ours editorial staff lets their artists go buck wild crazy, but I want to kiss him full on the mouth (not in a gay way or anything don't tell the dod I said that.) Kohta Hirano doesn't give a flying fuck if you get his references or injokes, and it doesn't really matter because he's putting them right where they belong: in the margins of the most cracked-out super gonzo fight sequences in the business.

(Kohta, honey, sweetie: Could you get your buddy who does Highschool of the Dead to let you take the title over? There's a Fajita Pita in it for you!)

Daikaiju
01-10-2009, 06:51 AM
Usagi Yojimbo #116- Spotlight shifts to Gen for this issue's tale.
Maximum Dinobots #2- They way they advance the main plot via the various Miniseries and one-shots is interesting. Also, Grimlock smashes stuff.
Knights Of The Dinner Table- Best gaming read since Dragon went "online". The Hard 8 subplot is a helluva read.
World Of Warcraft #14- Simonson's writing comes off as hamfisted and the story is speeding towards it's conclusion with the grace of a goblin engineered rocket car. Also, why did they drop Ludo Lullabi from the art duties?
Shonen Jump Vol. 7, #2- Why did they replace Hikaru No Go with Bobobo-bo bo-bobo? WHY? Having read through Raijin's release of Slam Dunk back in their weekly anthology, makes Viz's seem glacial. Free Naurto TCG card. whee.
Gold Digger Xmas Special '08- holiday warm'n'fuzzies!
Street Fighter Turbo #3- Qualifying rounds continue as we finally apporach the titular event. Also, another SF4 back up story. Cheezy good.
What If? Spider-Man Back In Black- What if that bullet took out MJ instead of Aunt May? Some writers seem to go for the jugular when cut from continuity's chains.
What If? Secret Wars- What if Doom had kept the Beyonder's power? MEH.
Negima! Vol. 20- I see you judging me. I SEE IT.
Wizard #208- Article on Chris Ware and interview with The Watchmen's Rorschach.

teg
01-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Has anyone here ever read "Zot!"?
You know how the last half of the series took place exclusively in our world and focused on character relationships and eclipsing a lot of the goofy sci-fi stories with sobering stories grounded in reality?
Volume six of Astro Boy is doing exactly that and I am loving it.

Ordered Phoenix volume 1 and Nausicaš volume 2 on amazon.ca, so those should be in soon. Also, I preordered Black Jack volumes three through infinity.

Octopus Prime
01-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Technically, I didn't buy it this week, but I did just finish book 2 of Darwyn Cooke's run on The Spirit.

It had an insufficient amount of Darwyn Cooke*, but was quite good. I especially like how they admitted to having a filler story in the middle of the Mortez arc, since an issue dedicated to The Spirit lying in a hospital bed wouldn't be very exciting.

*This is a complaint I lodge against virtually everything I see, incidentally.

teekun
01-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Umbrella Academy #2: SO FUCKING GOOD.

Agreed.

I don't know how anybody could read this comic and not love it (although that is obviously the case for some people)

Along the same lines, if you ever see the oversized deluxe hardcover in your local shop, snatch it up IMMEDIATELY because it is one of the nicest HC comics I have ever owned. They have managed to make a collection of essentially only 6 issues worth re-buying in a high-priced hardcover format.

Octopus Prime
01-11-2009, 05:57 PM
I know this isn't really the best thread for it, but since we don't have a single dedicated thread for comics we've recently read, I guess this will have to do.

On a continuing Darwyn Cooke kick, I also finished re-reading The New Frontier: Volume 1 today.

GodDAMN do I love this book.

Evil Dead Junkie
01-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Agreed.

I don't know how anybody could read this comic and not love it (although that is obviously the case for some people)

Along the same lines, if you ever see the oversized deluxe hardcover in your local shop, snatch it up IMMEDIATELY because it is one of the nicest HC comics I have ever owned. They have managed to make a collection of essentially only 6 issues worth re-buying in a high-priced hardcover format.

It's not that Hazel and Cha Cha would saw off a man's arm's and legs to get the secret recipe for a pie it's that they'd forget that that's why they were doing it.

I hope they stick around because I kind of love them.

Sven
01-11-2009, 08:40 PM
I know this isn't really the best thread for it, but since we don't have a single dedicated thread for comics we've recently read, I guess this will have to do.

On a continuing Darwyn Cooke kick, I also finished re-reading The New Frontier: Volume 1 today.

Cooke and an all-star cast put together a companion piece when the DTV came out - it features Cooke's take on the classic Batman / Superman fight.

(And Gloria Steinem!)

teekun
01-11-2009, 08:40 PM
It's not that Hazel and Cha Cha would dance naked in $240 worth of puddin' it's that they'd forget that that's why they were doing it.

YES. I loved that bit. I guess the only knock that this arc has against the previous one is that it isn't quite as clear in terms of direction. I'm still really enjoying the ride though, wherever it might be taking me.

Evil Dead Junkie
01-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Say what you will about DC's Direct To Video flicks, but both New Frontier and Gotham Night had some killer extras.

Even if they went way too easy on Bob Kane. Still it's kind of a tough sell to go to casual fans "Hey you like Batman? Well the guy who created him was a total tool."

I have to say I've been enjoying Dallas more then the first series. Now that the family is in place, it all seems a lot smoother and more unique.

I think the aimlessness is part of it, Way did say the theme of this chapter was kind of a "We saved the world, Now what?" thing.

mrbuu82
01-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Has anyone here ever read "Zot!"?
You know how the last half of the series took place exclusively in our world and focused on character relationships and eclipsing a lot of the goofy sci-fi stories with sobering stories grounded in reality?
Volume six of Astro Boy is doing exactly that and I am loving it.

Ordered Phoenix volume 1 and Nausicaš volume 2 on amazon.ca, so those should be in soon. Also, I preordered Black Jack volumes three through infinity.

I generally do not look on Amazon for manga, but there are surprising number of Astro Boy and Phoenix manga volumes there. Thanks for the tip!

Mitsuru Adachi

I really need to get back to reading Rough.

Egarwaen
01-12-2009, 12:15 AM

Cooke and an all-star cast put together a companion piece when the DTV came out - it features Cooke's take on the classic Batman / Superman fight.

(And Gloria Steinem!)

I really wish they would do a monthly book of random stories from the New Frontier continuity. Or even just Cooke and others with a similar attitude doing random "classic"-style stories. I would totally buy it.

Sven
01-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Got the first issue of the Official Index of the Marvel Universe. Great stuff - even if it seems to be a bit random, with Amazing Fantasy / Spidey (fine), X-Men (fine) and... Tales of Suspense?

C'mon, I know Iron Man had a big 2008 and I can see holding off on the FF to prop up a later volume, but still...

Figure Four
01-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Picked up Oishinbo: Japanese Cuisine today. I'd never heard of it until I picked it up to read while on a break at work. It's a "best of" collection from a long running series (100+ volumes!) about two reporters on assignment to craft the Ultimate Menu. If you couldn't guess from the title this volume deals exclusively with traditional Japanese Cuisine. It's like a really good cooking show but with villains (alternatively, it's like a less ridiculous Yakitate!! Japan). I'm really looking forward to the next volume which is all about booze.

I also placed an order for some new stuff so sometime next week I'll be getting: Real Vol. 2 & 3, Monster Vol. 18 and Whistle Vol. 21.

Evil Dead Junkie
01-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Haven't read any yet but:

Locke and Key #1: Oh God I can't wait.

I Kill Giants #7: Dear sweet lord I can't wait.

Final Crisis #6: Finishing this series has become a grim test of will rather then anything resembling enjoyment.

Wizard Of Oz #2: So Pretty...

Vigalante #1: Wasn't going to buy it but then Marv Fucking Wolfman walked into the shop so that kind of settled things. Got it signed. Did Snoopy dance. Wished I had some of my old Deathstroke comics on me.

Sven
01-14-2009, 05:30 PM
Grant Morrison just made Tawky Tawny awesome. I bow down before the man in wonderment.

(Pity that they had a fill-in guy do that last splash page, because the two-page splash was money.)

Great issue all the way through, as all those dissociated plots come crashing to conclusions all at once. Interesting that Hawkman and Hawkgirl had the little moment; DC could do worse than to let Morrison revive that series after it was the most high-profile casualty of the OYL changeover. He'll probably want to do something with the Japanese team, but they're just not... fun.

(Really good to see that everyone's guesses re: Mary panned out right.)

Grignr
01-14-2009, 05:55 PM
The Amazing Barack-Obama #1: Pretty short, and the art doesn't look all that much like him.

sraymonds
01-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Just finished reading Final Crisis 6. It...well, it doesn't make me as angry as the last issues did. I'm curious to see how it ends now. Don't know how they're going to fix a certain character's fate though.

teg
01-14-2009, 05:59 PM
I Kill Giants #7: Dear sweet lord I can't wait.
Isn't this supposed to be the last one? I've been waiting for this to finish so that I read it when it inevitably gets compiled.

Received and finished Phoenix: Dawn. Really great, but maybe not as good as I had been led to believe. I hear that it goes from great to masterful in Phoenix: Future and Phoenix: Universe.

Grignr
01-14-2009, 06:37 PM
Received and finished Phoenix: Dawn. Really great, but maybe not as good as I had been led to believe. I hear that it goes from great to masterful in Phoenix: Future and Phoenix: Universe.

"Karma" is the really good one, but I liked the historical ones in general better than the space-future ones. Though some of the space ones are interesting just because they're so weird (e.g. "Nostalgia").

teg
01-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Oops. I meant "Karma", not "Universe".

I love Tezuka's historical stuff (Buddha is amazing) but I think that I've gotten more enjoyment out of his sci-fi work (and though Phoenix never quite made it that far, in particular I love his modern-era stuff).

teekun
01-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Picked up the latest Spider-Man but my shop was out of Obama covers :(

I didn't even know this was happening, otherwise I would have made sure they ordered me one.

Sven
01-14-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm curious to see how it ends now. Don't know how they're going to fix a certain character's fate though.

The... manner of the "death" has historically not been known to be the most reliable, even if we weren't dealing with the character we're dealing with.

I didn't even know this was happening, otherwise I would have made sure they ordered me one.

Reprint out... next week, I think, with all Obama covers rather than the mere allocation this time. Won't help with the eBaying, though.

teekun
01-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Reprint out... next week, I think, with all Obama covers rather than the mere allocation this time. Won't help with the eBaying, though.

I'm already hearing about shops selling even the non-incentive cover issue for ridiculous prices like $30+. I can't believe I was out of the loop enough to not realize this was coming. But yeah, if I really want it I'll just get the reprint.

Sven
01-14-2009, 09:54 PM
The whole thing is a bit... weird, really. And the last thing comics are to become the hot new thing on the home shopping network again. But, hey, never discount people's herd mentality.

(We can all agree that the Luthor Administration was better than Obama's, though, right? And don't get me started on Pierre Trudeau - he created Alpha Flight, after all*.)

And, yes, I know I'm not commenting on Nightwing or Manhunter. I just can't accept both of 'em wrapping up.

Since this is an appropriate thread, I direct everyone to read the following:

http://www.the-isb.com/?p=980

A review of Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose #53/ You may be thinking to yourself "Self, why do I want to read a review of the horrible spank material that really just exists to scare the hell out of normally sane people?" Just trust me.

* - True story. Check out the second X-Men Essentials volume.

Excitemike
01-15-2009, 07:59 AM
Since this is an appropriate thread, I direct everyone to read the following:

http://www.the-isb.com/?p=980

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d25/eye_robot/comics/Tarot53e.jpg

sraymonds
01-15-2009, 08:01 AM
I now have an irresistable urge to read Tarot. Moreso after someone told me that the ghosts of the 9/11 firefighters save NYC from a nuke.

Sven
01-15-2009, 08:10 AM
Moreso after someone told me that the ghosts of the 9/11 firefighters save NYC from a nuke.

Really, it's no weirder than a bunch of firefighters tackling Cap being the ending of Civil War.

Back on the big plot point of FC#6:

Batman didn't get hit with the old-school Omega Beam, he was hit with the Death Trap... which Mr. Miracle escaped from in Seven Soldiers. And since this is Morrison writing Batman, presumably Batman already knows this, and has devised a much more efficient form of escape.

sraymonds
01-15-2009, 08:26 AM
Mr. Miracle escaped Darkseid's body massage.

Could you elucidate the difference between the Omega Beams and the Death Trap?

Man, Morrison's got a hard on for zapping Batman with Darkseid's eye beams.

Egarwaen
01-15-2009, 08:58 AM
The Immortal Iron Fist volumes #1 and #2.

#1 was fun but a little weak, #2 was all kinds of kung fu awesome. I was particularly amused by the villain's plan: namely, launch a train packed with explosives through a magnetic portal into a mythological city. Clearly he's never heard of this thing invented recently: the aircraft. Also, is it me or were the crane women the creepiest thing in the entire book?

Kirin
01-15-2009, 09:02 AM
I was just in my comic shop and noticed there's a new Courtney Crumrin: ".. and the Prince of Nowhere".

Having read it, it's not my favorite Crumrin story; a little over-narrated I thought. Still, the series is awesome and you should all read it (and other stuff by Ted Naifeh). The earlier bits are available in a couple TPBs.

Also picked up some new volumes of Ah My Goddess (fluff, but I'm addicted), the one-shot Shirley (by the author of Victorian Romance Emma, so it should be awesome), and the final volume of Monster (which my wife has been reading but I haven't yet - now that it's done I should probably just find time to read the whole thing).

Sven
01-15-2009, 09:32 AM
Could you elucidate the difference between the Omega Beams and the Death Trap?[/COLOR]

The Death Trap = The Omega Sanction (which is what I think Darkseid called it this time) - basically, it teleports the victim into a series of alternate realities, but if you escape from the first one, you only escape into something even worse. Literally "the Death that is Life", because by living and continuing to struggle, you only make your fate worse. It's the Chinese Finger Trap, basically.

The regular Omega Beams are the "victim dissolves into a puff of smoke" type, like the death of Dan Turpin (... heh, just caught that...) in S:TAS.

keele864
01-15-2009, 10:07 AM
The Death Trap = The Omega Sanction (which is what I think Darkseid called it this time) - basically, it teleports the victim into a series of alternate realities, but if you escape from the first one, you only escape into something even worse. Literally "the Death that is Life", because by living and continuing to struggle, you only make your fate worse. It's the Chinese Finger Trap, basically.

Somehow I think Batman will get better. The real question is how quickly - it would be anticlimactic for him to return right after Battle for the Cowl.

Also - Manhunter 38 - Why does Kate look like Susan Sontag all of a sudden? In the missing years does she turn into a New York intellectual?

Sven
01-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Also - Manhunter 38 - Why does Kate look like Susan Sontag all of a sudden? In the missing years does she turn into a New York intellectual?

I *really* didn't get the art choices in that issue. I haven't been a big fan of the art since the return, but there was some real weirdness going on, and the big money shot at the end was pretty lame.

I'd buy a series of Batman escaping increasingly implausible death trap realities, actually. Heck, come up with 52 fates worse than death and make it the next weekly. You could even call it "The Many Deaths of..."