PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking about downloading Banjo-Kazooie.

Issun
12-03-2008, 10:19 PM
For the love of God, somebody please stop me before it's too late.

Bongo
12-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Choose one of the following:

It's a platformer with good level design.
It's a pile of arbitrary doodads to collect.
A-HYUK

Guy
12-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Why would I stop you from doing something awesome? Go for it.

Issun
12-03-2008, 10:31 PM
I guess it's more curiosity than anything that's prodding me towards this purchase. I've heard widely divergent views, but you guys are pushing me towards the madness.
Oh, well, hopefully I'll see some more pros and cons on this thread tomorrow, and I can make my mind up then.
Although if it costs something ridiculous then no way am I getting it.

Parish
12-03-2008, 10:31 PM
A-HYUK

DemoWeasel
12-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Where's Banjo-Ray when you need him the most?

Ingmar Bergman
12-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Assuming you're considering downloading it to revisit the game after playing it as a young'n, I suggest you go for it. There's no other way to know for sure exactly how the game holds up. It could be a good thing or a bad thing, but it's the only way to know.

Tavir
12-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Banjo-Kazooie is good stuff. Maybe even great stuff, depending on who you ask. Not as imaginative or creative as Super Mario 64, but still a good game, and certainly a million times better than that dreck known as Donkey Kong 64.

Chu
12-03-2008, 11:49 PM
I really enjoyed Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie when I was a young'un. In fact, the very first website I built was about Banjo-Kazooie (it wasn't very good). But from the way people talk about it, I have the sneaking suspicion that my childhood was wrong. One of these days I'm going to have to bust out my N64 and find out for myself.

Nobuyuki
12-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Banjo Kazooie is the lone reason I put up with Rare's shit for so long (Banjo Tooie included!) I'm actually surprised how decent it looks running on the 360. I thought an ancient N64 game running in HD would be terrible, but they cleaned it up enough that it doesn't look so bad. As long as you don't look too closely at the environment textures.

Phantoon
12-04-2008, 01:40 AM
Banjo-Kazooie's good. I was playing it last night, and enjoyed it about ten times more than Nuts 'n' Bolts.

Do it. Do it. Do it.

Torgo
12-04-2008, 01:43 AM
Ugh.

...ugh.

Makkara
12-04-2008, 04:42 AM
Choose one of the following:

It's a platformer with good level design.
It's a pile of arbitrary doodads to collect.
A-HYUK

All of the above!

I'm playing it right now. I still think it's a lot of fun, but obviously the camera, graphics and controls are a bit archaic.

Nobuyuki
12-04-2008, 04:43 AM
All of the above!

I'm playing it right now. I still think it's a lot of fun, but obviously the camera, graphics and controls are a bit archaic.

Yeah, I will say the camera is much worse than I remembered. I've had to learn to just leave the right stick alone to keep from wanting to throw the controller.

Patrick
12-04-2008, 09:49 AM
The best part of the game is the music. It... it changes!

Bop bop badadada bop ba da da bop ba dadadada.

I liked the platforming a lot too, and at the time I wasn't bothered by the collecting. I think that you can skip a lot of it and still beat the game, but I don't really remember what everything does anymore.

Loki
12-04-2008, 10:36 AM
A-HYUK

My wife was watching me play last night and asked why he sounded like Goofy. I replyed "he's a bear. Who's named Banjo."

What more explination is needed?

Eusis
12-04-2008, 10:48 AM
For the love of God, somebody please stop me before it's too late.
Who says you need to be stopped from downloading? Just play the demo and see if that kills it for you!

Knight
12-04-2008, 10:55 AM
The best part of the game is the music. It... it changes!

I liked the platforming a lot too, and at the time I wasn't bothered by the collecting. I think that you can skip a lot of it and still beat the game, but I don't really remember what everything does anymore.
I loved the dynamic music. As for what things do, from what I remember, the Jiggies acted like stars from Mario 64, you'd use them to complete a puzzle to unlock a level. Notes unlocked the doors to the next hub world area of Grunty's Castle. I forget if anything happened when you collected all 100 notes in an area, I think you get a Jiggy piece. I know you get one for collecting all 5 Jinjos in a level. You need Mumbo tokens for his transformation spells. Collect 6 empty honey combs to extend your lifebar.

Other than those, that's all there really is to collect that I can remember. Yea, there's stuff like the eggs and red/gold feathers, but those are consumable, so it's just like collecting more ammo. I never really thought the first Banjo was much of a collectathon. Ferreting out those last few notes in a level was a bitch though, since any notes your grabbed stayed collected, and trekking all over the level to find one or two notes in a line that you missed earlier can be really frustrating.

Loki
12-04-2008, 11:01 AM
I forget if anything happened when you collected all 100 notes in an area, I think you get a Jiggy piece.

Nope. Bottles just congradulates you.

Phantoon
12-04-2008, 11:40 AM
100 Notes = extra life. That's what it did last night, anyway. You do need to collect some to open note doors, however. 50% on the first stage. But collected notes don't reset when you leave the level.

Merus
12-04-2008, 12:54 PM
The numbers work out so that you need, I think, 95% of the notes in the game in order to reach the final boss battle.

Tanto
12-04-2008, 01:29 PM
If you get nearly all the notes, there are a few bonuses you can pick up before the final battle.

Also: Entering codes in Banjo-Kazooie is the most tedious thing ever. Ever, ever, ever.

Kishi
12-04-2008, 01:42 PM
http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/image.php?u=119&dateline=1181235623

Balrog
12-04-2008, 01:49 PM
http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/image.php?u=119&dateline=1181235623

ha ha ha ha

MCBanjoMike
12-04-2008, 02:04 PM
ha ha ha ha

No, dammit, I'm banjo. >:|

DemoWeasel
12-04-2008, 02:11 PM
No, dammit, I'm banjo. >:|

But are you also Max Lovin, Erotic P.I.?

Issun
12-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Who says you need to be stopped from downloading? Just play the demo and see if that kills it for you!

This is a good plan. I will impliment this soon.

dussssstin
12-04-2008, 08:03 PM
This is a good plan. I will impliment this soon.

I so want this out of nostalgia, but looking back I'm confusing bits of this game with Conker's Bad Furday.

The bee and the flower was in BK right?

DemoWeasel
12-04-2008, 08:11 PM
I so want this out of nostalgia, but looking back I'm confusing bits of this game with Conker's Bad Furday.

The bee and the flower was in BK right?

Nope. There is a homosexual frog in Banjo-Tooie though.

dussssstin
12-04-2008, 08:37 PM

Oh my gosh seriously? I don't remember that part at all.

I remember liking the series as a kid for it's bright color palette and it's amazing sound effects.

Especially, the sound when Kazooie was running.

Torgo
12-04-2008, 09:23 PM
No! Now I can hear it in my head!

What did I ever do to you!?

VorpalEdge
12-05-2008, 12:12 AM

Don't you need something like every single jiggie in the game, with the exception of four or some other really minuscule number, to access the final boss fight?

Tavir
12-05-2008, 12:22 AM
Don't you need something like every single jiggie in the game, with the exception of four or some other really minuscule number, to access the final boss fight?

If I remember correctly, you need 810/900 (90%) notes and 94/100 jiggies to reach the final boss. I guess I never thought about it, but now that I look at it, it does seem like a lot.

Bongo
12-05-2008, 01:22 AM
Yeah, but at least you can cheat.

Phantoon
12-05-2008, 01:28 AM

And there's a hidden giant spurting penis (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=A65j0an5naM) in one of Banjo Tooie's levels as well. Oh, Rare.

Indalecio
12-05-2008, 06:38 AM
And there's a hidden giant spurting penis (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=A65j0an5naM) in one of Banjo Tooie's levels as well. Oh, Rare.

As Freud said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Having seen the video and a few others like those, I can vaguely see what they mean, but I think they're reaching too far for significance.

Patrick
12-05-2008, 09:23 AM
No! Now I can hear it in my head!

What did I ever do to you!?

Muhahahaha!

Issun
12-07-2008, 12:44 AM
Okay! Tomorrow (today, whatever), after football: Issunbug downloads Banjo-Kazooie (demo)!

(The delay is simply because I don't have my router set up yet, so I must physically transfer the modem from the computer in my bedroom to the 360 in my living room [also because I'm lazy])

Issun
12-07-2008, 08:11 PM
Okay, it seems somewhat entertaining, but I just can't justify spending 1200 points on it right now.
So I DLed Puzzle Fighter II Turbo instead.

Merus
12-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Okay, it seems somewhat entertaining, but I just can't justify spending 1200 points on it right now.
So I DLed Puzzle Fighter II Turbo instead.
Dodged a bullet there, dude. Enjoy your Puzzle Fighter.

Torgo
12-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Dodged a bullet there, dude. Enjoy your Puzzle Fighter.