PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else importing Shiren DS 2?

LordGek
12-05-2008, 06:36 AM
Hey Gang,

I'm expecting my import copy of Shiren DS 2 any day now, anybody else taking the plunge?

My pal Gabikun at the Shiren Wiki has been teasing us all for weeks on many of the new tweaks awaiting us in the game:
http://shiren.wetpaint.com/thread/1510870/Another+Shiren+coming+to+the+DS%3F

I'm also liking how they have now done away with the whole "journeying to dungeons" since all dungeons are accessible from your starting city, along with all of the services (shop, bank, blacksmith, etc.). Something else handled interestingly is how one is allowed to pre-level. Since there is no journeying to later dungeons there is no pre-leveling in the traditional sense, to pre-level one must go to the Training Center to engage in a sort of mini-game. As Gabikun described it, you have 30 turns to knock as many of these little randomly popping up dummies as you can in the sealed room. They only pop-up for 5 turns so you'd never make it in time if you're hoping to run up to a guy across the room. Your first attempt between runs is always free but if you want additional training you'll need to pay on a steeply increasing scale for each repetition up to a maximum of five uses (Gabikun spoke of a limit of 8th or 9th level but I'm not sure if that is simply the best he was ever able to do after the 5 attempts or if you're cut off from training any further at that point). After you make a dungeon run your level is reset to 1 and you're entitled to the one free use again. A number of the post game dungeons will not allow pre-leveling (I'm assuming you'd be free to pre-level but as soon as you enter something like the Fei final Puzzle Dungeon your level is reset to 1).

Thraeg
12-05-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm still holding out hope that someone will decide to translate it. I loved the first one, but trying to play without being able to understand item names, quest instructions, etc. sounds like more hassle than it's worth.

Ben1842
12-05-2008, 11:41 AM
Shiren is hard enough for me in English. I think I'll wait and hope for a US release.

LordGek
12-05-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm still holding out hope that someone will decide to translate it. I loved the first one, but trying to play without being able to understand item names, quest instructions, etc. sounds like more hassle than it's worth.

Fair enough, while doable you do lose out on all story stuff and, yeah, from my previous forays into Japanese Mystery Dungeon games, the post story stuff can get pretty annoying. It isn't so much the insane challenge of the dungeons, heck that's my favorite part of these games, it's the hoops you need to jump through to unlock the dungeons. Like talk to the barkeep who tells you of some legend. Later, after a dungeon run, go back and talk to him again and he tells you to talk to the town witch... My poorly translated Japanese FAQs can usually get me through these bits but it can feel tedious and at times it appears that the FAQ writers leave out a step (which, if you COULD read Japanese would be so obvious it need not even be listed).

Sprite
12-05-2008, 11:52 AM
There's no way. I love Shiren, but I can't imagine it being anything but frustrating in a different language. Especially if an enemy hits me, and something horrible happens, but I don't know what, or how to fix it.

LordGek
12-05-2008, 12:07 PM
There's no way. I love Shiren, but I can't imagine it being anything but frustrating in a different language. Especially if an enemy hits me, and something horrible happens, but I don't know what, or how to fix it.

I hear the beasties have many new ways to fark with you in this one! Even better, many old standards have been tweaked like I hear the second level of the Evil Soldier line now reflect 100% of all physical damage done to them (you now need to kill them via wands or scrolls).

RAC
12-05-2008, 01:01 PM
I played the original in Japanese many moons ago, and I didn't do so well. Enough to fall in love with the game and hope it got translated, though! So I hope this gets translated, because it sounds like fun.

LordGek
12-05-2008, 02:05 PM
I played the original in Japanese many moons ago, and I didn't do so well. Enough to fall in love with the game and hope it got translated, though! So I hope this gets translated, because it sounds like fun.

Call me a freak but some of the improvements I'm looking forward to might just seem like throwing water on the fire that is Shiren. Like I for one far prefer the concept of limited slots for weapon and shield abilities than what they had in Shiren DS 1. It feels like more strategy will involved setting up your items than just the old, "Why choose between effects, I'll just have them all!"

LordGek
12-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Hey Gang,

Have it and love it so far.

Very similar and different at the same time via many game balance tweaks, monster additions, and a few new items (although almost as many items have been dropped).

And this just noted...

(repost from another forum)

I just found out about a new whole mode of gameplay, as it were, in this sequel. Sort of the best of Solo Hardcore Adventuring and being a Rescue Ranger!?

There is an old man in the training center that offers you a twisty new challenge. If you are willing to strip down naked (can't have any items nor cash on you) and forgo any pre-buffing, you can re-enter any previously cleared dungeon for a cool challenge. Basically you pick a dungeon and dungeon level (minimum of 5th) you think you can make. If you can make it to the stairs of that level you'll be warped back out, keep all of the loot you may have gained plus get a nifty prize from the old man. So it's a bit like doing a rescue run but you only get one attempt, have to go in naked, get to pick your own target level, and are guaranteed a decent prize (unlike the completely random nature of normal rescue runs) based on the relative risk of the challenge you put upon yourself.

Lakupo
12-12-2008, 11:29 PM
I messed around with Shiren GB2 way back when I was really going nuts over everything Shiren, and boggled over kanji in a GBC game. I'd really love to play the remake, but as others have said, playing a Rogue-like is tough enough, translating it is another layer of complexity I'm not sure I can handle (one of the reasons I haven't gotten back into playing Asuka Gaiden).

I would go out and buy more copies of Shiren 1 if it would get Shiren DS 2 (and Shiren 3!) released here. :(

LordGek
12-13-2008, 06:25 AM
I messed around with Shiren GB2 way back when I was really going nuts over everything Shiren, and boggled over kanji in a GBC game. I'd really love to play the remake, but as others have said, playing a Rogue-like is tough enough, translating it is another layer of complexity I'm not sure I can handle (one of the reasons I haven't gotten back into playing Asuka Gaiden).

I would go out and buy more copies of Shiren 1 if it would get Shiren DS 2 (and Shiren 3!) released here. :(

Yeah it can be a pain but what REALLY pisses me off when doing my import adventures is how these games will so freely switch back and forth between Kanji and Katakana. I don't know the language for shoot but I've learned to at least recognize most of the items Kanji names...and when the game just decides at some point to this time refer to it phonetically in Katakana I have NO CLUE what they're talking about. It hasn't been much of an issue so far but does make doing the Borgmamel a major pain since half the time the requests list the Kanji of the item (and therefore make it very easy to see what he wants) but in many case they'll just use the Katanka which means I have to just refer to my FAQ for the next item as that stuff is meaningless to me.

Warg
12-14-2008, 08:18 AM
Yeah, I'm going to wait for a basic English FAQ before importing it -- one that can help me around the game without spoiling characters / plot points / etc. via a not-well-thought-out Table of Contents or Introduction. If through some stroke of luck this actually ends up being localized, I'll snap it up as soon as I can, given how much I'm still enjoying Final Puzzle in the original game (despite having beaten it twice already)!

I'd be more active in this thread -- but, despite having posted links to this game's website before, I'm currently trying to stay away from as many previews of this game as I can, just so that the game is as fresh & surprising as possible when I finally get around to playing it. So whenever I come across impressions or previews, I try to tune them out.

LordGek
12-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Yeah, I'm going to wait for a basic English FAQ before importing it -- one that can help me around the game without spoiling characters / plot points / etc. via a not-well-thought-out Table of Contents or Introduction. If through some stroke of luck this actually ends up being localized, I'll snap it up as soon as I can, given how much I'm still enjoying Final Puzzle in the original game (despite having beaten it twice already)!

I'd be more active in this thread -- but, despite having posted links to this game's website before, I'm currently trying to stay away from as many previews of this game as I can, just so that the game is as fresh & surprising as possible when I finally get around to playing it. So whenever I come across impressions or previews, I try to tune them out.

Fair enough, while I promise not to spoil story specifics (mainly because I have no idea what is being said) I am spouting all sorts of spoilers on the new game mechanics and beasties in most of my many threads.