PDA

View Full Version : Scribblenauts

Pages : [1] 2

nunix
12-06-2008, 09:58 AM
DSfanboy news post + trailer here (http://www.dsfanboy.com/2008/12/05/infinite-items-5th-cells-scribblenauts/), IGN interview here (http://ds.ign.com/articles/936/936157p1.html), official site here (http://scribblenauts.com/).

5th Cell is pretty awesome.

EDIT: From the interview it sounds like they're just using materials and object classes for all of this. I know Dwarf Fortress uses this to good effect, I'm not sure what else does.

ajr82
12-06-2008, 10:06 AM
The cop with the doughnut just pushed this to near the top of my list of DS games next year I'm interested in.

Healy
12-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Looks good, but I doubt they really have as much variety in the nouns you can put in as they say you do.

pence
12-06-2008, 11:57 AM
I wonder... I wonder how many proper nouns there will be? I mean, it would be pretty awesome if I could write 'Batman', or 'Jupiter', or 'PSP'.

DemoWeasel
12-06-2008, 12:13 PM
I wonder... I wonder how many proper nouns there will be? I mean, it would be pretty awesome if I could write 'Batman', or 'Jupiter', or 'PSP'.

I was going to go in and say 'God', but what it does would depend entirely on one's relgious beliefs.

Al Baron
12-06-2008, 01:10 PM
One of the devs posted on NeoGAF:

-no vulgar or copywrited terms
-nothing intangible
-you can't write more than one word to make a phrase (no "giant flaming bear", but "bear" and "torch" to light up said bear would work.)

cortbassist89
12-06-2008, 02:07 PM
This seems really cool.

I need something new to play in my DS

ArugulaZ
12-06-2008, 03:52 PM
This may have the same problem that a lot of interactive fiction/text adventure games do... a limited vocabulary. Let's say you've got a brilliant idea to collect that star in a tree, something so creative and original that you feel proud of yourself for thinking of it. Then you write it down on the touchscreen... and the game's response is "Input not recognized." Suddenly the game isn't nearly as fun as it looked in that video.

dussssstin
12-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Yeah it's a very ambitious idea. I'd like to see it for the DSi where they could constantly update and patch.

They could leave their slogan as: write. solve everything.

The "anything" makes it seem pretentious.

Ample Vigour
12-06-2008, 04:13 PM
There is going to be a game where you solve puzzles by writing words and the response is measured apathy?

We are the hollow men.

pence
12-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Even if 'Batman' doesn't work, I bet 'boomerang' and 'grappling hook' do, so it might as well.

I wonder what happens if you write 'Lock's Quest'.

Wolfgang
12-06-2008, 07:41 PM
There is going to be a game where you solve puzzles by writing words and the response is measured apathy?

We are the hollow men.

Not me, man. Even if there is a finite vocabulary to work with, this game looks scrumptious. It's like "A Boy And His Blob" except it'll work!

_L_
12-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Let's say you've got a brilliant idea to collect that star in a tree, something so creative and original that you feel proud of yourself for thinking of it. Then you write it down on the touchscreen... and the game's response is "Input not recognized."

I'm sorry ArugulaZ, but "nanomachines" and "antimatter" is just asking for disaster.

ArugulaZ
12-06-2008, 07:46 PM
I like the idea, but I see limitations in its design. Text adventures haven't evolved nearly as much in the last twenty-five years as other genres of games.

Wolfgang
12-06-2008, 07:59 PM
I like the idea, but I see limitations in its design. Text adventures haven't evolved nearly as much in the last twenty-five years as other genres of games.

But... it isn't a text adventure. It's a text platformer. Ish. Kinda? Did you watch the trailer?

ArugulaZ
12-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Sure did. Can you see the limitations of the design? I understand the differences between the play styles of the two genres, but I'm more concerned about the similarities.

Wolfgang
12-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Sure did. Can you see the limitations of the design? I understand the differences between the play styles of the two genres, but I'm more concerned about the similarities.

Yeah, I can see the limitations, but I can also not get hung up on them and see how there's fun to be had as well. If they put in several hundred words' worth of useable objects (and it looks like that's where they're going in the trailer), that's just fine with me.

I mean, who knows, it could be awful, but I'll save the damnation until people can get some hands-on. I'm sure there are going to be people who'll deliberately try to break it by putting in the most obscure shit they can think of ("I'll try and get that thing out of the tree with a velocipede!"). Then they'll get pissy when they do break it and dock its review score based on that, ignoring the fun stuff you can do with the available vocabulary by brooding about the "limitations".

Kirin
12-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Yeah, this is clearly a "how well can they pull it off?" kind of situation. Looks to be pretty darn fun in any case, though. On my radar for now.

Red Hedgehog
12-07-2008, 04:11 PM
It's like "A Boy And His Blob" except it'll work!

RAGE!!!

A Boy and His Blob is awesome.

EDIT: Okay, was awesome. It hasn't held up so great.

Phat
12-07-2008, 04:19 PM
At least, it would be awesome if it wasn't completely broken.

nunix
12-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Yeah, this is clearly a "how well can they pull it off?" kind of situation. Looks to be pretty darn fun in any case, though. On my radar for now.

Honestly? All the work is in the materials.

NOTE: This is how Dwarf Fortress does it, and going by the IGN interview, I'm assuming it's basically the same thing.

Let's take an elephant, okay? And we're on a level where there's a starite in a tree.

ELEPHANT
size:huge
mammal
quadruped
color:grey
limb:trunk
rideable

Elsewhere in the data, "mammal" has the following material tags: organic, living, animal. Likewise, there are sizes a la 3E D&D (tiny, small, medium, large, gargantuan, et cetera).

So what does that tell us about this particular noun? And how can we use it to solve the puzzle?

Well, it's a huge mammal - it's a living animal, it's probably scared by fire or loud noises, it needs oxygen to breathe (so it won't survive in a space or underwater environment), and so on - and it's grey. It can manipulate things with a single limb, its trunk. You can ride on it.

We could make an elephant, and then ride on it, reach up and grab the starite. Or we could send the elephant over to the tree and it could grab it with its trunk (assuming the tree wasn't too tall; more materials there, or maybe simple point A/B distance detection). Or the elephant could just run at the tree and knock it down (after all, it's a huge quadruped, which means it can run, yeah?). Heck, maybe there's an NPC in the level who REALLY likes the color grey, and seeing a giant grey elephant makes him so happy he goes to get the starite for you.

Since the game knows it's a quadruped, on the sprite you can define four joints for legs, and the game knows how to make mammals walk (there's a generic "four-legged mammal" animation somewhere). You don't need to make an individual elephant sprite and then animate it. Now, you don't necessarily get great animation, but it works, and depending on your game's aesthetic it can fit in just fine. (This was actually an issue with Drawn to Life; everything else was animated pretty good, but the avatar's just a doll and is pretty janky, but with Scribble it looks like they're keeping the animation style for everything, which will smooth that out).

The work comes in taking all these lists of nouns, and assigning materials to them, and then defining what those materials mean. It's a lot of text work, but it's NOT a lot of art and animation work, which is where the traditional time/money sink of modern game design lay.

ajr82
06-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Thread resurrection!

This preview at Joystiq makes the game sound amazing:

1. One level we played placed us in the desert with a thirsty, thirsty man. A cue appeared as we began the level: "Refresh him!" Of course, writing water would suffice -- but that's not very original, is it? My first time through, I managed to summon an oasis. It appeared, I dropped it into the ground, the man fell in, and the Starite appeared. At the end of the level, the game gave me a score based on how far I went over par (the target number of items you can beat the level with), and awarded me badges -- achievements for clever word usage.

Justin fed the man pomegranates until he fell victim to an overstuffed slumber. He created some lemonade, which the man then poured down his gullet -- level complete! Randy created a coffee shop. It appeared, the man ordered a cup o' joe at the carry-out window, drank it -- level complete!

2. Another level placed a pool of water with a shark inside between us and the Starite. While a few options may have allowed us to circumvent the shark-infested waters, we all decided to take him out. I tried dropping a sword on its head pointy-side down, but it bounced harmlessly off its thick hide. I then dropped a hair dryer into the water with more electrifying, fruitful results.

Chris attempted to drop dynamite into the water, though the splash extinguished the fuse. He then threw waterproof C Four into the water, effectively recreating the ending of Jaws. J.C. created a Kraken, which fought with and ultimately bested the shark.

Andrew created a teleporter in an attempt to instantly apparate to the Starite -- instead, it took him to a medieval world where he was besieged by shadowy assassins. He tried distracting them with candy -- really, Andrew? -- then created a fairly anachronistic nuke. The nuke didn't detonate, however, so andrew created a laser rifle to take out the assassins. One of his lasers grazed the aforementioned WMD, and blew up the entire level

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/05/hands-on-scribblenauts

edit: I didn't realize this discussion was also happening in the E3 thread.

Brickroad
06-05-2009, 01:58 PM
This game sounds so amazingly fun. How on earth did I miss it until yesterday?

Bongo
06-05-2009, 02:02 PM
I promise you I will find a way to solve every problem with The Moon.

pence
06-05-2009, 02:07 PM
I am entirely stoked for this game. Joystiq's preview seems to confirm the promises the dev made about the amount of room it leaves for improvisation.

A teleporter. Really? I want to see who wins in a battle between an elephant, a mouse, peanuts and cheese. And I wonder how large a skyscraper or a jet are. Certainly the Moon is large, too. I want to go through the list of items that are in Katamari Damacy now, because the world is full of goddamn things.

And on that note, how about creating a Martian, a Venusian, a man and a woman.

Makkara
06-05-2009, 02:15 PM
I didn't know anything about this game until I saw the Kraken vs. God video. It is now my most anticipated game.

rockintomordor
06-05-2009, 02:26 PM
I didn't know anything about this game until I saw the Kraken vs. God video. It is now my most anticipated game.

Link to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTEUbtgpIgo

In case anyone wasn't sure this was the greatest video game ever.

Octopus Prime
06-05-2009, 02:51 PM
You know, I was excited for the game before I saw that video.

Now I'm super-excited!

Anyone know when it's coming out?

GyroNinja
06-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Fall 2009, I think. Pretty sure we don't have a definite release day yet.

I bet when I first get it, I'll spend half my time trying to figure out what can actually kill God.

Patrick
06-05-2009, 03:07 PM
You can, Nick Suttner said that Death killed God in his game.

Little Sampson
06-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Didn't the guys in the video mention that Death killed God?

GyroNinja
06-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Yeah, but that doesn't stop me from wondering if anything else can.

If I've learned anything from video games, a group of spiky haired teenagers with nothing to lose should stand a decent chance.

nunix
06-05-2009, 03:15 PM
You can, Nick Suttner said that Death killed God in his game.

Now I'm going to have to try the other horsemen.

And maybe some Discworld references, while I'm at it.

Kylie
06-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Despair.

Alt: Nietzsche.

sfried
06-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Despair.

Alt: Nietzsche.Wasn't Nietzsche actually against that? Perhaps what you're looking for is a Nihilist.

The need to summon Marrie Currie. Stuff will now glow.

GyroNinja
06-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Wasn't Nietzsche actually against that? Perhaps what you're looking for is a Nihilist.

The need to summon Marrie Currie. Stuff will now glow.

I think he means to try and see if Nietzsche can kill God.

And now I'm starting to wonder just how many historical figures will actually be in the game.

UnChocolate
06-05-2009, 07:55 PM
From NeoGAF:
I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wandering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit.

mopinks
06-05-2009, 07:59 PM
I... I don't even know what to say to that.

I can't fathom this game.

GyroNinja
06-05-2009, 08:02 PM
I... I don't even know what to say to that.

I can't fathom this game.

I can't fathom it either, but I know I sure as hell want it. In the past day this game has gone from "on my radar" to "most anticipated game right now".

:edit: Also, "I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES" needs to be the official advertising slogan of this game.

Vaeran
06-05-2009, 09:38 PM
I feel like it's almost pointless to speculate about this game. The developers are essentially promising us everything, to which the only real response is to say "well, it has to be less than that. right? I mean... it has to be!"

This may well be the first "sandbox" game to truly earn the title. Games like GTA let you run around and play with the various elements that they provide, but the key element of the sandbox is that you can build whatever you want out of sand. The fact that there are puzzles that can be solved with jetpacks and dinosaurs and staplers is almost secondary to the fact that I can sit there on the first screen and make jetpacks and dinosaurs and staplers to play with.

I am crazy excited about this game.

Wolfgang
06-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Man, if there are any people left hating on this game, I don't want them to ever talk to me. I don't want to know them.

GyroNinja
06-05-2009, 10:12 PM
This may well be the first "sandbox" game to truly earn the title. Games like GTA let you run around and play with the various elements that they provide, but the key element of the sandbox is that you can build whatever you want out of sand. The fact that there are puzzles that can be solved with jetpacks and dinosaurs and staplers is almost secondary to the fact that I can sit there on the first screen and make jetpacks and dinosaurs and staplers to play with.

Yeah, I know what you mean. On the one hand, I wonder what kind of puzzles the game will offer, but on the other hand I don't really care because I'll probably spend hours stapling jetpacks to dinosaurs.

Reinforcements
06-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Joystiq gave Scribblenauts a "10 word challenge (http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/05/scribblenauts-passes-our-ten-word-challenge-with-flying-colors/#continued)" - entering 10 words they thought it wouldn't recognize. The game successfully rendered internet, tattoo, air, molecule, scribblenauts, narwhal, lutefisk, and stanchion. It suggested "joystick" when they entered "joystiq", and only truly failed on the word "plumbob".

My life is not complete without this game.

Vaeran
06-05-2009, 10:32 PM
and only truly failed on the word "plumbob".

8. Plumbob -- No dice! The game's lead designer was hanging over our shoulder as we entered in this unrecognized word. He quickly asked what it was, pulled out his phone and feverishly sent some unknown party a text message. "Okay," he said. "It'll be in the final product."

This is the best thing.

The best thing.

sfried
06-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Have they tried caecilian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caecilian)?

While some of Joystiqs challenge words made sense, they're hardly obscure.

ReyVGM
06-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Scribblenauts, you complete me.

ecchi squirrel
06-05-2009, 11:25 PM
This game is like a warm hug from everything that's awesome in the world.

_L_
06-06-2009, 12:21 AM
As I posted earlier this year, my expectations for this game are quite humble:

While out walking, I suddenly thought of something.

Imagine a Scribblenauts™ level. It is a loose recreation of 6-1 from Super Mario Bros. At the far end is a Starite. At the near end is Maxwell. In-between are lions, wolves, bees, campfires, landmines and so forth.

How do you get across?

* Call in a POGOSTICK and possibly a SHOTGUN and leap around like a maniac? Maxwell probably can't hold onto more than one thing, though. And pogo-sticks have a maximum height of about half a foot in reality. Better take a note from Yoshi's Island and make that STILTS.
* Mollify the mammals with STEAK, acquire a SMOKER to calm the bees, throw a DICTIONARY to trigger the landmines and use a BUCKET to scoop a SANDCASTLE onto the campfires?
* Acquire a JACKHAMMER or PICKAXE and tunnel underneath all of the obstacles?
* The ground is too hard? Just purloin a LIFERAFT, obtain an OAR, then wish for a FLOOD. (I'm not sure how weather conditions work in Scribblenauts, but it's been confirmed that a TSUNAMI has been implemented.)
* Forget this! I'm-a sending in a HELICOPTER.
* I wonder if a TELEPORTER could also be used...

Kirin
06-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Every time I hear more about this game, I'm more excited for it.

The Fun Club for this thing (which I assume we will do, because it must be done) is going to be epic.

nunix
06-06-2009, 12:26 PM
impossible story

Huhh.

You know what this is, right?

This is Calvin & Hobbes.

This is the best thing ever.*

* after Calvin & Hobbes

Psyael
06-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Well, the Dracula VS Cthulu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfmzGJA6FRw&feature=channel_page#t=11m55s) battle was easily the highlight of Coop's E3 coverage. Wish they could have gotten some interviews, but that made up for it.

O..O~
06-06-2009, 03:29 PM
This game makes me so so so so so happy. I love the developers for it already, I would buy two copies just to support this awesome endeavor.

ALSO , when damn it when? I cant wait for this

ReyVGM
06-06-2009, 03:40 PM
I seriously doubt this game could have every piece of fruit, vegetable, object, animal, mythical creature, etc.

The first thing I'm going to do, like most people, is try and break the game :P

GyroNinja
06-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Well, the Dracula VS Cthulu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfmzGJA6FRw&feature=channel_page#t=11m55s) battle was easily the highlight of Coop's E3 coverage. Wish they could have gotten some interviews, but that made up for it.

My favorite part is the Vampire Hunter they summon afterward.

VorpalEdge
06-06-2009, 03:43 PM
The first noun I input, ever, will be the Ark Of The Covenant.

And then my character will jump on top of it and get his face melted.

GyroNinja
06-06-2009, 03:45 PM
The first noun I input, ever, will be the Ark Of The Covenant.

And then my character will jump on top of it and get his face melted.

I wonder if "Nazi" is in their dictionary?

Psyael
06-06-2009, 05:13 PM
I will solve puzzles by stacking up elephants with a trebuchet.

sfried
06-06-2009, 05:34 PM
I think he means to try and see if Nietzsche can kill God.Yeah, and that's the misconception I'm trying to correct (about Nietzche being a Nihilist, which isn't true).

For some odd reason, I want to try typing out trilobite, followed by kokako, takahe, pukeko, and kakapo.

GyroNinja
06-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Yeah, and that's the misconception I'm trying to correct (about Nietzche being a Nihilist, which isn't true).

For some odd reason, I want to try typing out trilobyte.

I don't think he's calling Neitzche a nihilist, though, just referencing his famous "God is Dead" quote.

sfried
06-06-2009, 05:47 PM
I don't think he's calling Neitzche a nihilist, though, just referencing his famous "God is Dead" quote."...and we have killed him." Neitzche doesn't kill God. Maybe Death, based on their playthrough, but all of the mortal people summoned so far would be afraid of the higher beings (see Einstein).

I have yet to see the Chupacabra in action.

mopinks
06-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Nietzsche has to kill God for making him look like a big fat liar.

sfried
06-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Summon Cthulu, or is Lovecraft stuff trademarked?

GyroNinja
06-06-2009, 05:56 PM

Cthulu is in the game.

Apparently he can be beaten by a vampire though.

Bongo
06-06-2009, 06:24 PM

There's nothing around to protect any trademark that might have existed, and the copyright has expired. Cthulhu is public domain in the author's country.

nunix
06-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Oh man.

I wonder if you can summon countries.

And planets.

And... galaxies?

FIGHT OF THE EON: Milky Way vs Andromeda

use MILKY WAY on STUBBORN JAR LID

GyroNinja
06-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Oh man.

And planets.

And... galaxies?

FIGHT OF THE EON: Milky Way vs Andromeda

I think I read somewhere that someone wrote, "Sun", and got a cute little cardboard cut-out of a sun suspended from above by rope. I'd imagine that writing Galaxy or any other celestial body would be similar.

... Now I wonder what writing "country" or "nation" would get you, though.

Vaeran
06-06-2009, 07:33 PM
My horrible secret desire is for it to be discovered that, after spending all this time working incredibly obscure and esoteric items and creatures in the game, the developers forgot something really basic. Like chair or cat. Mostly because that seems like something I would do.

So has there been any word on how many objects one can have scribbled into existence at the same time? And is the ability to scribble a new object limited in any way, like a meter that needs to be recharged?

McClain
06-06-2009, 08:03 PM
This may be the best game ever. Even if I "beat" this game, I could spend the rest of my life making up shit on it.

I know they say it won't have "proper nouns," but I wonder if Nintendo will let them use their characters? Anyone know if someone has tried "Mario" yet? Or even just "Nintendo?"

Psyael
06-06-2009, 08:47 PM

No, but Yeti VS Canadian is something I've been planning for a while now.

Calorie Mate
06-07-2009, 11:37 AM
When I first heard about this game, I kind of shrugged and figured it would be really limited, or there wouldn't be much to it besides typing in random words.

Then I watched some of the videos in this thread.

Guys, this is going to be amazing.

smacketh
06-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Estimated release date is September? It's going to be a long wait..., but hey, if it's at the beginning of the month, I can bring it with me to PAX!

Calorie Mate
06-07-2009, 04:17 PM
I thought it said November? Man, September would be great.

smacketh
06-07-2009, 04:18 PM
I looked at Amazon (which said October) and Gamestop (which said September). I'm hoping for the September one.

I'm kind of expecting to be disappointed.

Calorie Mate
06-07-2009, 04:20 PM
I thought the E3 trailer said November, though. I might be completely wrong.

smacketh
06-07-2009, 04:21 PM
I don't think I've seen the actual trailer... just different videos of people messing around with it. I'll look that trailer up.

All I'm finding is this one that just says "Coming Soon"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WBvcVmnlms

Octopus Prime
06-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Their last two games came out in mid-late September.

Let's hope for the hat-trick

Kirin
06-08-2009, 05:38 AM
What were the last two games from this team anyway?

KCar
06-08-2009, 05:39 AM
Lock's Quest and Drawn to Life, I believe?

Merus
06-08-2009, 09:17 AM
My horrible secret desire is for it to be discovered that, after spending all this time working incredibly obscure and esoteric items and creatures in the game, the developers forgot something really basic. Like chair or cat. Mostly because that seems like something I would do.

I've seen previews that said 5th Cell have been testing using a dictionary, making sure all the nouns in there are also in the game.

So has there been any word on how many objects one can have scribbled into existence at the same time? And is the ability to scribble a new object limited in any way, like a meter that needs to be recharged?

It's a puzzle game. There's a meter, and if you fill it you need to reset the puzzle.

sfried
06-08-2009, 11:27 AM
This WEEK In Tech (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2AK33ozbhQ) mentions (with enthusiasm) Scribblenauts!

UnChocolate
06-08-2009, 10:40 PM
So apparently from the director, the basic rules of the game's dictionary are:
No, no no... tens of thousands... not over ten thousand. So I'll restate the rules here...

Concrete Objects Only
No Proper Nouns
No Copyrighted Words
No Adjectives
E-E10 rated words only - this means No Vulgar/Offensive/Lewd/Drug/Alcohol related words

Other than that... it works

'Feep' and 'Post 217' will be in the game. It's too epic not to. [the author of the "time traveling with a dinosaur to kill robot zombies" post at GAF]

And yes 220 levels is the final count.

I was just play testing now and I typed 'FTW' to see if it worked, and it gives you a fake Starite... I love my team. :lol

ReyVGM
06-08-2009, 11:06 PM
You know, most people (including me) can't believe that the game recognizes so many words. It's an amazing feat.

But what most people don't stop to think about is the fact that a whole dictionary is included in the game is not really that amazing, what's amazing is that someone actually had to draw, animate and program every fucking word in the dictionary.

You're lucky if you get a game with over 300 kinds of enemies/characters. This one has tens of thousands.

And not only that, what you write actually interacts with the environment and between themselves. Someone had to program that too!

The amount of work that must have gone into this game just baffles my mind.

pence
06-08-2009, 11:22 PM
I remember reading somewhere that they used 3d instead of 2d for just that reason. 2d sprites for each individual object would take forever to create, but you can get reasonable 3d art out of some basic shapes, and probably automate a great deal of the process. Still, I feel for the folks who have got to go through and 'proofread' that work.

ReyVGM
06-08-2009, 11:23 PM
Yeah, 3D would be easier. But you still have to draw/design, animate and program each individual word and behaviour.

Merus
06-08-2009, 11:51 PM
If you think about it, you can cut down on a lot of that work. What's the difference between a fiddle and a guitar, really? There's a different animation, sure, but it still has the same behaviour more or less.

Bongo
06-09-2009, 12:39 AM
The animation seems to be defined in terms of static images rotating around joints. From what I can see of the videos, anything humanoid has basically the same joints, and the different parts were drawn from the same basic template. If ever there was a way to make the animation of an entire dictionary a highly parallelizable and efficient task, that would be it.

Kirin
06-09-2009, 06:21 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this thing works around generic object attributes. So instead of programming each object from scratch, they're categorizing it - so a fiddle would get, say "breadbox sized" and "makes music" and "can be held and carried" categories. Still tons of work to do, mind you, but a little more manageable than it might at first seem.

nunix
06-09-2009, 06:36 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this thing works around generic object attributes. So instead of programming each object from scratch, they're categorizing it - so a fiddle would get, say "breadbox sized" and "makes music" and "can be held and carried" categories. Still tons of work to do, mind you, but a little more manageable than it might at first seem.

Yes, I think I already replied TO YOU with this exact structure. In December. In this thread. (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=347239&postcount=21)

Bongo
06-09-2009, 06:56 AM
Ah, the wonders of taxonomy.

Kirin
06-09-2009, 07:13 AM

Yes, I think I already replied TO YOU with this exact structure. In December. In this thread. (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=347239&postcount=21)

Hey, how about that. Tell me, what's it like to have a functional memory? I suppose it must be useful from time to time.

Hughtron
06-09-2009, 02:36 PM
I do know they got pixel art wunderkind Paul Robertson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSdoDjcI5VE) to do some work on the game.

Hughtron
06-09-2009, 04:20 PM
DOUBLE POST TO BRING YOU:

MC JOOEY holding it down with 5th Cell devs. (http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/25149)

pence
06-09-2009, 04:38 PM
I'm writing 'ikaruga' into this game first thing, because my frothing demand is on the rise.

wahoninja
06-10-2009, 05:17 AM
I know they aren't doing bad words, but I think they could have done stuff like have a baby appear, or a cat, or Nixon, a health book, or even just a bar of soap.

And a lawyer could appear for the copyrighted stuff, maybe.

Still, can't wait to play it.

Vaeran
06-10-2009, 07:36 AM

That would be hilarious, but then it would also mean they'd have to program in thousands of copyrighted terms. :|

GyroNinja
06-10-2009, 07:55 AM
I know they aren't doing bad words, but I think they could have done stuff like have a baby appear, or a cat, or Nixon, a health book, or even just a bar of soap.

Still, can't wait to play it.

I heard someone (I think from the same NeoGAF thread that produced time-traveling robot-zombie-slaying dinosaurs) suggest that if you type in a naughty word, it should produce the ESRB logo instead. I support this idea.

ReyVGM
06-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Rolling on the floor laughing.

God on a skateboard killing Cthulhu with a shotgun:

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=85476

This game is even better than I thought.

Octopus Prime
06-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Did we know this?

What can you tell us about the game's Wi-Fi functionality?
You can create and store levels using our in-game level editor and scripting tool. You can also share your content both locally and online with others using friend codes.

It has a level editor with wi-fi sharing too? Geez!

I mean GEEZ.

smacketh
06-11-2009, 06:13 PM
I didn't!

Good thing I work a lot, it'll help keep me busy until this comes out.

nunix
06-16-2009, 11:03 PM
http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/994/994674/scribblenauts-20090615060345371.jpg

Dadgum Roi
06-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Kewl:

As if 10,000 words in the English language weren’t enough for the developers to deal with, Gavoni revealed that the North American build of the game will include Brazilian Portugeuse, French, and Spanish as well as English. The French and Spanish language sets will also have Latin American and French-Canadian alternatives.

Is 10,000 really all that many, though? You use several thousand different words on a daily basis, on average. Even factoring out all of the other parts of speech(Scribble only uses nouns), the nouns would be a significant fraction of that.

Bongo
06-17-2009, 09:37 PM
English is estimated to have about 500,000 words. However, the main reason there are so many is because you can easily invent new words by sticking suffixes onto old ones. Take out all the non-nouns, then the nouns formed by sticking -ion or -ity or -ness or something, and then take out all the remaining nouns that do not describe concrete objects. At this point, ten thousand is looking like a very reasonable number.

ReyVGM
06-20-2009, 02:41 AM
I wonder if Global Thermonuclear Warfare is in there in some sort of way.

GyroNinja
06-20-2009, 06:50 AM
I wonder if Global Thermonuclear Warfare is in there in some sort of way.

Warfare is probably too abstract of a noun, but one guy who played the E3 demo did manage to conjure up a nuke, which just sat there. Until he accidentally shot it with his laser rifle, that is, which caused it to explode and destroy the map. So the answer is, kind of? (I also wonder about nouns like "Fallout" or "Radiation").

Also I think it's really cool that this game managed to win Best of Show from several major sites. I would have never expected it, because Handheld gaming is kind of ghettoized in games journalism.

Reinforcements
06-20-2009, 07:22 AM
Is 10,000 really all that many, though? You use several thousand different words on a daily basis, on average. Even factoring out all of the other parts of speech(Scribble only uses nouns), the nouns would be a significant fraction of that.
I'm pretty sure I've heard someone from the developer mention that 10,000 is kind of a misquote - that they actually have tens of thousands of possible words.

Sprite
06-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Tens of thousands is correct. So at least 20,000.

smacketh
07-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Bumping for Scribblenauts newly announced September 15th release date (In case some people skip the "Not worth it's own thread" thread). (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175277)

juanfrugalj
07-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Hey, that tree could be eaten by termites!

Kirin
07-24-2009, 06:02 AM
Huh, I already had this down as Sep 15th in my notes. I guess previously it was a speculated date and now it's confirmed. Whatever, awesome either way.

Vaeran
07-24-2009, 07:50 AM
I am really glad that I had the good sense to be born 11 days after September 15. It just felt right, you know? And now I know why.

Kirin
07-24-2009, 08:06 AM
I'll see your 11 days after and raise you *8* days after.

(Also, Katamari Forever comes out on the 22nd. It's going to be a fun September.)

(Of course, I'm old enough now that I mostly just buy myself birthday presents, but still.)

Calorie Mate
07-24-2009, 08:24 AM
You know what the problem with a September 15th release date is? It means it isn't a July 24th release date.

Octopus Prime
07-24-2009, 09:38 AM
I'll see your 11 days after and raise you *8* days after.

Ahh, I thought I was going to win with 9 days after, too.

Tomm Guycot
07-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Oh my gosh this trailer has the best "giant enemy crab" reference ever.

I am humbled, Scribblenauts.

Warg
07-28-2009, 04:32 PM
... and the Rooster Hat pre-order bonus makes its way to North American shores (http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74879)!

Pseudonym
07-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Yay! I love stupid hats! I wonder if the bonus will be on Amazon too. I really like the lack of tax. But if a rooster hat is on the line, I'll bite!

Brickroad
07-28-2009, 06:28 PM

Last I checked they were going through adding a bunch of obscure kinds of dinosaurs. It doesn't sound like there will be any shortage of stuff.

Matchstick
07-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Yay! I love stupid hats! I wonder if the bonus will be on Amazon too. I really like the lack of tax. But if a rooster hat is on the line, I'll bite!

The Gamestop entry claims that the hat is exclusive to them.

Pseudonym
07-28-2009, 07:14 PM
The Gamestop entry claims that the hat is exclusive to them.

Damn it, Gamestop! You know my weakness! Sillyhat! You shall have your tax then!

Edit: What? There's a Scribblenauts strategy guide? :confused:

Error Mackerel
07-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Edit: What? There's a Scribblenauts strategy guide? :confused:

It'll be a dictionary with a Prima sticker slapped on.

Kirin
07-29-2009, 06:49 AM
Man, the trailer on the EBStop page totally stole my "beaver" idea for the first level. Now I'll have to think up something else.

Calorie Mate
07-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Oh god, a rooster hat.

Hmmmm.

juanfrugalj
07-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Man, the trailer on the EBStop page totally stole my "beaver" idea for the first level. Now I'll have to think up something else.

Termites, man. Termites.

Kirin
07-30-2009, 05:31 AM
Everybody's already thought of termites too. Need something original. Now stop discussing it, or we'll use up all the ideas before the game ships.

I did just reserve it at GameStop, though, so my bigger dilemma may soon be to figure out what the hell I'm going to do with a rooster hat.

ZRofel
07-30-2009, 06:37 AM
I did just reserve it at GameStop, though, so my bigger dilemma may soon be to figure out what the hell I'm going to do with a rooster hat.

Wear it constantly. Duh!

ajr82
07-30-2009, 03:27 PM
From here: (http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/07/you-helped-me-play-scribblenauts/)

“Chewing gum” gave me a pre-chewed wad of stickiness. “Propeller hat” gave me a regular hat. Slightly disappointed, yet undeterred, I put the hat on my avatar. I then attached the chewing gum to the hat. Certain objects can be stuck on or attached to others, you see. I typed in “Propeller” and attached the propeller to the chewing gum stuck to my hat.

My avatar immediately flew into the air. Yes, Scribblenauts lets you make your own propeller hat.

I typed “Corpse” and a zombie appeared. This time though it wasn’t walking around, preferring instead to lie limply on the ground. The Warner rep suggested we add some “Lightning”. It struck the corpse and turned it into the shambling zombie I’d seen earlier. It’s also possible to attach a wire between a corpse and a car battery to raise the dead.

Tanto
08-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Nothing beats tyrannosaurus rex (http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3175442).

daroga
09-11-2009, 12:13 PM
So... this comes out on Tuesday. Who is the most pumped?

Calorie Mate
09-11-2009, 12:25 PM
I am.

Balrog
09-11-2009, 12:37 PM
We should all contribute to a master solutions list during the fun club.

Calorie Mate
09-11-2009, 12:45 PM
My girlfriend, despite owning a DS, owns very few games - she just swipes mine since I buy too many. She's as pumped about Scribblenauts as I am...I'm wondering if I should buy her a copy too, or if I should just risk having my copy taken from me the moment I let my guard down.

Octopus Prime
09-11-2009, 01:01 PM
So... this comes out on Tuesday. Who is the most pumped?

I'm so excited, my excitement has left my body and become a seperate corporeal entity.

In all honesty though, Scribblenauts is the most I've anticipated anything video game related since before the Wii came out.

Stephen
09-11-2009, 01:33 PM
I played Scribblenauts at PAX and it dropped my excitement level down a few notches. It is really fun to type random words and see what happens. I had a lion fight sea lion (regular lion won) and killed a piranha Crocodile Dundee style with a stick of dynamite. After the novelty of that stuff wears off, the puzzle solving stuff gets frustrating. I watched a guy try to lasso a star a dozen times before he was successful--it was a strategy that should have worked, but it kept tangling up for no reason and I could see him getting angry.

The puzzle I had to solve required me to hold down a switch to keep a gate open. I tried summoning a bunch of heavy objects to hold the switch--a block, a tree stump, a steam ship, a throne. They just kept sliding away for no reason. I did eventually summon a bridge to hold the gate up, but by that point a lot of the magic of the game had been stripped away. I wasn't solving the puzzle any way I wanted, I was just summoning something big to hold the gate up.

Take all that with a grain of salt though, because it's impossible to judge from 15 minutes in a crazy, crowded space.

Makkara
09-11-2009, 01:39 PM
I just found out Scribblenauts is being localized into Swedish! That's just plain awesome, although I suspect they just ran the word list through an automated translator. No matter, since English is also available on the same card, as well as Finnish, Norwegian and Danish. If nothing else, it'll be a fun novelty.

Gredlen
09-12-2009, 02:58 AM
I've heard that some stores (several Wal-Marts and Best Buys, I think) have broken street date.

Just sayin'.

SilentSnake
09-12-2009, 10:24 AM
I've heard that some stores (several Wal-Marts and Best Buys, I think) have broken street date.

Just sayin'.

Don't know about Best Buy, but Wal-Mart will not allow a game out the door early because the register will not cash it out before the street date. And there is no way to override this.

Gredlen
09-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Don't know about Best Buy, but Wal-Mart will not allow a game out the door early because the register will not cash it out before the street date. And there is no way to override this.

Well, I've heard some people are getting it from their Wal-Mart early, so apparently there is some way around it.

SilentSnake
09-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Well, I've heard some people are getting it from their Wal-Mart early, so apparently there is some way around it.

Well unless the cashier is doing something crooked like ringing out a DS game of equal value in substitution.

McClain
09-12-2009, 11:16 AM
There might also be a way to ring it up as Misc. or something.

SilentSnake
09-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Yeah come to think of it they can ring it up by department. But they can't really claim ignorance of the date since the register tells them straight up. So it's still crooked.

Well, that or the cashier is easily conned.

Gredlen
09-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Anyway, the point is this:
I watched a guy try to lasso a star a dozen times before he was successful--it was a strategy that should have worked, but it kept tangling up for no reason and I could see him getting angry.

The puzzle I had to solve required me to hold down a switch to keep a gate open. I tried summoning a bunch of heavy objects to hold the switch--a block, a tree stump, a steam ship, a throne. They just kept sliding away for no reason. I did eventually summon a bridge to hold the gate up, but by that point a lot of the magic of the game had been stripped away. I wasn't solving the puzzle any way I wanted, I was just summoning something big to hold the gate up.

is still pretty accurate. The controls and physics are a little janky and very annoying at times (like when you want to move something on the other side of the level and instead it's interpreted as "move here", which means you run over there and die because there's a bear or something and now you have to start the level over again for the fifth time), but it really is a lot of fun to figure out different ways to solve the same level. I've only run into one or two levels so far where there really does only seem to be essentially one solution (and not even a particularly complex one, either), which is annoying, but I guess we'll see if anyone finds a different way that I totally missed.

daroga
09-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Yeah come to think of it they can ring it up by department. But they can't really claim ignorance of the date since the register tells them straight up. So it's still crooked.

Well, that or the cashier is easily conned.It's also possible that it's not street-dated. Not every game that hits retail has a "do not sell before x/x/xx!" clause, and therefore, might just be able to be sold in their system whenever the store gets some in.

mopinks
09-12-2009, 06:34 PM
I've been playing this a little, and yeah, the controls and physics kinda suck a lot. it's pretty amazing just how well the rest of the experience makes up for it!

Thraeg
09-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Reviews are starting to come in. (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/scribblenauts-review?page=1) Looks to pretty much confirm both my hopes (great flexibility and vocabulary) and fears (clumsy controls and level design).

Wolfgang
09-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Blah. Good, smooth controls are what makes or breaks a game for me. They're the way you get around a game, so being quality is paramount. Like, I know a lot of you aren't digging Muramasa because it's repetitive, but the controls are smoother than silk, so I enjoy it a lot.

Oh well, at least I have something cheap and easy for the Xmas list this year!

Pseudonym
09-15-2009, 11:12 AM
It's a shame that the puzzle part is lackluster. But really, I was more excited about it as a Mythical Beast knife fight simulator, and it sounds like it does that very well.

UPS says my copy (and my stupid hat!) got sent out yesterday, so maybe I'll get it tomorrow. I hope it shows up before I leave for a roadtrip mid afternoon. I think knife fights would be just the thing to pass the time in the car.

Octopus Prime
09-15-2009, 11:42 AM
I got my copy.

Made a Dragoon fight Cthulhu.

I'm pleased.
Oddly, the knight won.

teg
09-15-2009, 12:32 PM
The remainder of this thread shall be used to brag about the most bizarre, impractical, or awesome solutions we come up with for each puzzle.

I used a quantum singularity to clean up garbage in a park.

Octopus Prime
09-15-2009, 12:37 PM
I cooled a man down by dropping a glacier on his head.

Sprite
09-15-2009, 01:11 PM
I used my Best Friend to press a switch. Then I used my Worst Enemy to press another switch. Then my Worst Enemy killed my Best Friend.

How could that have happened?

Balrog
09-15-2009, 01:41 PM
I beat 1-11 by unleashing a ninja on the bee and the pirahna. I topped it off with a little jetpack at the end for good measure.

Octopus Prime
09-15-2009, 02:00 PM
I used a velociraptor on the bee, a shark on the pirhana and a jetpack for the cliff, myself.

Tomm Guycot
09-15-2009, 03:00 PM
I can't for the life of me figure out what ceilingcat does. Anyone?

Gredlen
09-15-2009, 03:02 PM
I beat 1-11 by making a ham sandwich

I used peanut butter and jelly

I just summoned God to kill both things, then flew up to the cliff with a helicopter. The helicopter was one of the worst ways to do it, though; it can destroy the flower if it falls on top of it before you grab it.

So far, I think my most off-beat solution was using a ladder bridge, suspended on top of two flying angels, to keep something from falling down.

j00ey
09-15-2009, 03:23 PM
I can't for the life of me figure out what ceilingcat does. Anyone?

watches you masturbate. duh.

Red Hedgehog
09-15-2009, 03:26 PM
I couldn't get the jet pack to work so I had to use a helicopter. :(

Octopus Prime
09-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Jetpacks are incredibly hard to steer, it seems.

And a Teleporter takes you to the developers room, it also seems.

Calorie Mate
09-15-2009, 04:26 PM
They totally had my rooster cap. I'm wearing it backwards 'cuz I'm cool.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u52/caloriesman/roosterhat.jpg

Calorie Mate
09-15-2009, 05:15 PM
I beat 1-11 by touching myself.

That bee was a sonofabitch, but finally I just used a fan to blow him back to the water and watch him drown. Then I dropped a whale on the pirannha, and then jet packed over.

Knight
09-15-2009, 05:21 PM
I beat 1-11 by
I used a flamethrower on the bee, and dynamite on the pirhana. I tried to jet pack over to the flower, but the guy decided he'd rather run into the water instead, and it shorted out the jetpack or something because I couldn't fly with it after that. So I just made some wings and flew with them instead.

teg
09-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Your hat's on backwards, Caloriemate.I can't for the life of me figure out what ceilingcat does. Anyone?The developers seem to like the internet. There's also a giant enemy crab.

Azar
09-15-2009, 06:18 PM
I don't have the game yet, but I'll get it sometime soon. I may force myself to wait until after a big exam, just to avoid another avenue of procrastination.

Try "Post Two Seventeen" for something fun.

Balrog
09-15-2009, 06:24 PM
I played the first 5 levels again with my oldest kid. He did pretty awesome and we were both a little disappointed in the first world when we gave a policecar to the policeman and a firetruck to the fireman and that didn't make them happy. He also wanted to give a shark to make the chef happy but it did not make the chef happy at all D:

Eusis
09-15-2009, 06:24 PM
HOW IS THE BLOB THE MOST POWERFUL THING EVER?

Balrog
09-15-2009, 06:26 PM
HOW IS THE BLOB THE MOST POWERFUL THING EVER?

It worked wonders on the trick or treat level.

Merus
09-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Give the policeman a donut.

Kirin
09-16-2009, 06:02 AM
I think I keep trying to be more clever than necessary. For example, I came up with a strategy for clearing out multiple (not too big) hostile animals: summon a LION, put him near the animals, let him beat them all. Then, when he comes after you, summon a LION TAMER next to him and he'll be docile. It works great, but after doing it I realized I could have saved an object by simply unsummoning the lion. But where's the fun in that?

Also, I had a problem in one level where a friendly NPC was standing on top of something I needed but wouldn't move. I didn't want to kill her, so I poked her with a stick. Worked, but she was deathly afraid of me for the rest of the level. Wuss.

Aeonus
09-16-2009, 06:14 AM
I glued a block of metal to a butterfly then used a magnet to pull it down into grabbing range.

For 1-11 I used bug spray on the bee, then used a fishing pole to get the fish out of the water (then he proceeded to kill me on land). So the second time I used the fishing pole to get the FLOWER out of the water, and then dropped a cliff into the water to get over to the last one.

I cleaned up a oil(?)spill by taking a coin out of the cash register and throwing it at the puddle (how the heck does that work?), and then put the banana peel in the freezer. Total items created: 0.

Speaking of 0-item wins, I got rid of the trick-or-treaters by throwing a jack-o-lantern at one of them.

This game is silly. In a good way. No, in an awesome way.

Gamgee
09-16-2009, 07:48 AM
I'm totally picking this up tomorrow after work and IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY TO WAIT. Sounds like everyone's having fun with it though!

Calorie Mate
09-16-2009, 09:06 AM
How do you activate AND throw dynamite?

smacketh
09-16-2009, 09:22 AM
i always plant the dynamite where i want it and create a match, which lights it.

Calorie Mate
09-16-2009, 09:24 AM
/slaps forehead

...but wait, how was it thrown at that pirannha, then?

smacketh
09-16-2009, 09:26 AM
I don't know, I threw a grenade at the pirannha, but it blew up the flower and I had to restart. Then I tried to put oil in the water to see if that would kill the pirannha...it only made it angry.

Rosewood
09-16-2009, 09:27 AM
I got it yesterday! (With no rooster hat, but that is par for the course for my Gamestop pre-orders.) I stopped last night when I got stuck on Puzzle 1-11 and Action 1-5 (I think? A low-ceilinged tunnel with a steel box in front of it).

I'm not quite ready to read other people's solutions to Puzzle 1-11, and after sleeping on it I have a vague idea of how to get the Starite on the other. The failures crack me up more than the solutions, which is a good sign, though I imagine I'll get used to the game's mechanics after awhile.

"Durian" and "jackalope" are in its vocabulary!

Balrog
09-16-2009, 09:38 AM
In the second World there's a stage where you have to eliminate the rats and there's a gangster walking around so I spawned a Godfather but he didn't kill the other gangster so I guess he wasn't a rat :|

sraymonds
09-16-2009, 10:10 AM
I beat 1-11 by

I used a gun and shot the bee and piranha and then dropped a trampoline into the water.

Calorie Mate
09-16-2009, 10:16 AM
So what was everyone's first word? Mine was "dick". It made some guy appear!

smacketh
09-16-2009, 10:29 AM
I think my first word was "nuke". I died.

Gredlen
09-16-2009, 10:32 AM
My favorite solution was the one where you have to save the sandwich. I just picked it up and threw it at the hippy and for some reason I won.

Calorie Mate
09-16-2009, 10:32 AM
"Atom bomb" does the same thing.

smacketh
09-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I ran into my first dupe word with "excavator" and "digger".

Warg
09-16-2009, 10:34 AM
How I solved Action 1-9: [ after using a flamethrower to both dissipate the ice block & push the black bear into the pit, I summoned a rope but then realized I had no way to anchor it. (Trying to jump down would just have me fall into the pit.) So after randomly typing out OLKADOLKA after not knowing what else to do, it suggested a correct spelling of ORCA -- which I then happened to place on the incline above the starite. I attached the rope to his tail, jumped down & grabbed the end of the rope, climbed up, and jumped over to the starite! ]

Oh, and as I picked up my pre-order somewhat early, I totally got my Rooster Hat. It makes me feel in the game!

Calorie Mate
09-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Is glue the only way to attach stuff?

Also, I really like that you can just start playing on the title screen. Of course, I got frustrated because I was trying to dig in the diggable area on there and the only way I could do it was to physically dig myself. I summoned things like moles and miners and construction workers (+pick axes or shovels) and they all just stood there. :(

smacketh
09-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Yeah, I've been trying to get other people to dig to no avail. I brought up some handcuffs for one of those first missions and they wanted me to attach the other end to something (like glue).

teg
09-16-2009, 11:05 AM
I cleaned up a oil(?)spill by BLAH BLAH BLAH (how the heck does that work?)So you solved an oil crisis by throwing money at it?
This game is more political than I thought.Is glue the only way to attach stuff?You can also use tape, adhesive, etc. Any object that's rope-like does basically the same thing with a little more give. I'm frequently using extension cords, bungee cords, leashes, handcuffs, etc. to tie stuff together.

I find that I'm solving a lot of puzzles by tying pegasii to things.

Rosewood
09-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Jetpacks are incredibly hard to steer, it seems.

I gave my guy wings on one of the "get to a high place" stages and that wasn't hard to steer.

nunix
09-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Puzzle 1-11 illuminates some of the shortcomings of the game. Since we already know they essentially use property tags for objects, this is extra-frustrating, because none of this (except maybe the tool-AI) is difficult to deal with.

I made a beekeeper to take care of the bee. The bee killed him. Beekeeper just ran the hell away.

I made a fire to try and smoke the bee out, and it ignored it, despite flying pretty much straight through the flames. Also, during one attempt, the bee chased me into the water, where it AND the pirahna proceeded to kill me, so bees are immune to both fire and water?!

I made a fisherman, gave him a fishing pole, and he did nothing.

I took the fishing pole, pulled up the piranha, and it promptly killed him. Also, apparently fish can live outside of water forever.

I placed a rock at the top of the cliff, and attached a rope to it. Rock fell in.
Did the same with a boulder. Repeat performance.
Did the same with a goddamn mountain and thanks to having an extra mount point at its base, it stayed up long enough for me to climb the rope and get the flower.

So:

* profession people have no apparent tool-use AI
* animals don't care about their environment
* objects all share the same mass and balance

Reeeeeally kinda frustrating.

Also, did anyone manage to knock the beehive down? I thought that might get the bee to go away, but nothing I threw at it worked.

Eventual solution: a wasp to kill the bee, which it happily did in one hit, and then it was mysteriously non-aggressive to me. a shark to kill the pirahna, who I then had to cheap-out and delete, because it most certainly wanted to eat me. and then the aforementioned cheap trick with using-a-mountain-and-rope-just-long-enough to climb up and get the last flower.

periodical
09-16-2009, 01:11 PM
For 1-11 I channeled Spelunky and used a shotgun to kill the beasts and a jetpack to get the flower.

Now if I could get that damn car started.

nunix
09-16-2009, 01:17 PM
For 1-11 I channeled Spelunky and used a shotgun to kill the beasts and a jetpack to get the flower.

I've been trying to no-weapon my levels; makes stuff more challenging and creative.

Rosewood
09-16-2009, 01:20 PM
I've been trying to no-weapon my levels; makes stuff more challenging and creative.

Yeah, part of my issue with 1-11 is not wanting to hurt or kill the bee.

nunix
09-16-2009, 01:22 PM
I may re-try it and see if I can use a butterfly net and maybe a glass jar to keep it in, without killing it. Absolutely no idea what to do about the pirahna. "Fishing net" makes a bendable net like a rope with attach-points but I couldn't figure out a good way to use it.

periodical
09-16-2009, 01:25 PM
If it's just a no-weapon thing, you can have the piranha kill the bee. Just let the bee chase you into the water, and they'll duke it out.

Calorie Mate
09-16-2009, 01:29 PM
My girlfriend said she caught the bee in a butterfly net, and used a fishing rod to grab the flower without going into the water, so I guess it's possible.

nunix
09-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Is there some way to increase the size of objects? I'd swear the tutorial went over something like that but I couldn't figure it out when I tried to make a bridge and make it bigger.

Octopus Prime
09-16-2009, 01:37 PM
A caveman wanted a dinosaur omelet, in a level designed around me sneaking past mother dinosaurs to steal their eggs. So I summoned a "Dinosaur Omelet".

That felt like cheating...

Eusis
09-16-2009, 01:44 PM
This is showing what bugs me with the game really. It almost feels like you have too great a power in affecting the environment that you could effortlessly win if you wanted to, yet at the same time trying to keep it dialed back and not simply whip out weaponry, jetpacks, and even God can leave you screwed over and frustrated. Then again I'd probably be fine if they didn't use the stylus for placing objects AND moving around, so instead I screw up and jump into a pit or into an enemy that kills me too quickly.

Bongo
09-16-2009, 01:46 PM
I caught the bee in my hand and somehow stuffed it in the basket before it killed me (although I guess it would have worked to put it in the greenhouse too). I did this on accident, though. For the pirhana, I quickly jumped in to lure it over to the side, then summoned LIGHTNING which had to strike the pirhana about twenty damn times before it finally died. And then I used a HELICOPTER to get the last flower.

Calorie Mate
09-16-2009, 02:02 PM
This is showing what bugs me with the game really. It almost feels like you have too great a power in affecting the environment that you could effortlessly win if you wanted to, yet at the same time trying to keep it dialed back and not simply whip out weaponry, jetpacks, and even God can leave you screwed over and frustrated.

I don't see how the premise could work and this wouldn't be the case, though.

teg
09-16-2009, 02:04 PM
A caveman wanted a dinosaur omelet, in a level designed around me sneaking past mother dinosaurs to steal their eggs. So I cheated.

That felt like cheating...I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought of this. I was actualy getting super-frustrated at trying to grab an egg and tried it out of spite.

I'm liking this game more and more now that I'm used to the wonky physics and such. But there is basically no reason to ever summon a human ever. Even if you're building an army, it's easier to just use a creature or a black hole, since they don't need weaponry to even the odds.

I'm a little dissapointed that although I have a basically limitless inventory, I'm still using only a handful of things. I try to use something new in each level, but I still find myself using pegasuses and black holes everywhere.

Bongo
09-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Pegasus, huh? That sounds like it'd be a good way to fly. Better than those unwieldy PLANEs and AEROPLANEs and HELICOPTERs I've been using. WINGS are a nice and controllable, and when you only need to get up a little bit, an ELEVATOR or ESCALATOR will do you nicely.

Oh yes, the tornado level. I got through that by summoning a HOLE and going underneath the tornado. HOLE doesn't work on every level. I bet you could do TUNNEL as well.

Eusis
09-16-2009, 02:11 PM
I don't see how the premise could work and this wouldn't be the case, though.
I'd say it's one of the reasons I didn't get on the hype train like everyone else did. It's TOO good of a concept to work as well as we'd like, and it's trying to work within the framework of a more standard puzzle platformer formula. It's something that fascinates, but seemed like it'd be similar to Spore in that it really wouldn't be Game of the Forever material like some people made it out to be.

I do wish some basic stuff worked better though. Advanced behavior is probably too much to hope for, what's there already is impressing me, but I'd like it if something like a bridge could be reliably built and wasn't just a block more prone to falling in a hole than letting me cross. Maybe I'm missing something here?

teg
09-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Pegasus, huh? That sounds like it'd be a good way to fly. Better than those unwieldy PLANEs and AEROPLANEs and HELICOPTERs I've been using. WINGS are a nice and controllable, and when you only need to get up a little bit, an ELEVATOR or ESCALATOR will do you nicely.Try VTOLs too. Those are fun.
Pegasus is basically the best flying item in the game, though.

Octopus Prime
09-16-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm not sure, but I guess dropping a car on a boat counts as saving it?

Thraeg
09-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Pegasus is basically the best flying item in the game, though.

I beg to differ, on the grounds that dinosaurs automatically make anything more awesome.

I solved 1-11 with just a single summon: quetzalcoatlus. It killed the bee and the piranha, and then flew me up the cliff to get the last flower.

Rosewood
09-16-2009, 03:09 PM
when you only need to get up a little bit, an ELEVATOR or ESCALATOR will do you nicely.

A "trampoline" works, too!

Rai
09-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Trick or treat kids: I summoned Cthulhu. It is the answer to all my problems.

I think this game and I are going to get along juuuust fine.

Bongo
09-16-2009, 04:28 PM
A "trampoline" works, too!

And SPRINGBOARD. And a FAN if you can get it turned on its side.

Tomm Guycot
09-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Dinosaur: Is there a way to do this level WITHOUT cheating? If so I'd like to see it.

Next level: So I can't for the life of me even figure out what I'm supposed to be doing in the level with the traffic jam and the cow. Any tips?

j00ey
09-16-2009, 04:57 PM
Next level: So I can't for the life of me even figure out what I'm supposed to be doing in the level with the traffic jam and the cow. Any tips?

Flew over to the cow with a jetpack, picked it up, dropped it on the roof, and protected the dudes from getting run over by placing a wall.

Octopus Prime
09-16-2009, 05:13 PM
I did something similar and attached the Cow to a VTOL Jet with a chain and then flew over the cars as high and fast as possible. As soon as the last car passes the cow, the starite appears, and I grabbed it before the cars hit the dude.

nunix
09-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Irritation: "bellows" creates a handheld fan.

-.-

How am I supposed to deal with a stupid tornado if I can't suck it up?!

Bongo
09-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Go under it.

nunix
09-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Guh? Didn't think you could dig into that kind of terrain.

Which brings up another point: man am I tired of using either a "shovel" or "pickaxe" for things. Construction vehicles are too big, though, and animals like moles and badgers don't seem to do anything.

Thing discovered: x-ray goggles! They turn the screen blue when you use them. Unfortunately, they don't appear to let you actually see into anything (like boxes).

Warg
09-16-2009, 06:02 PM
On that tornado stage, what I did was [ tie a few pieces of rope together to the starite until the tornado pulled it toward me. ]

On flying -- I happen to like the [ flying car ].

I'm surprised at how many dog breeds this game is recognizing. Not all of 'em generate their own models, but a fair number do. [ I also love how they run away scared from [ ... a vet. (And they seem to be the only ones so far that do! Cats and horses, at least, don't.) ] ]

Also, "LOL WUT"

Bongo
09-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Guh? Didn't think you could dig into that kind of terrain.

You can't dig, but there's enough room to write and place a HOLE.

DeeMer
09-16-2009, 07:25 PM
When misspelling "Fire Extinguisher," one of the suggestions was "Fire-Eating Dog."

It was a dog.
It ate fire.

You can ride it, too!

Donny
09-16-2009, 10:03 PM
When you get to the 8-5 puzzle level, don't bother trying to protect the girl. Just give her a laser and GET THE FUCK OUT OF HER WAY.

Pseudonym
09-16-2009, 10:28 PM
My copy came today! It's quite fun! I think my first word was astronaut. Then I summoned a cosmonaut. Then I gave them a spaceship. They were so damn happy with it!

I find I'm pretty conventional in my solutions until the challenge mode forces me to get more creative. The last time I solved the "clean up the park" level I bulldozed everything in the stage to the side and then tossed a grenade at it. Grenades are becoming one of my primary solutions. That and tossing TVs in water to slay killer fish.

Stupid solution: There was one early level where I was trying to hit an out of reach switch. I summoned a bull and then tried to get a red cape to make him charge the switch. What showed up was a blue cape, so I tried to get some red paint. I couldn't figure out how to apply that to the cape or the switch. While I was trying to figure out another idea, the bull kicked the paint bucket and triggered the switch, netting me the star. It was a fluke, but I'm not going to question a free star!

I was pleased to see that smoke works to put bees to sleep. Just not as long as I needed.

I love goofing around in the title screen. I summoned god and gave him a armed priest and nun as bodyguards. (I created a rabbi as well, but he refused my offer of a knife.) I then summoned an atheist and as soon as I gave him a weapon he tried to assassinate god. It didn't work out too well for the atheist. I suppose I should give him some backup next time.

I like my preorder hat. It's like a weird stuffed animal on my head. Is it summonable in game? I tried "pre order hat" and "rooster hat" with no results.

Donny
09-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Pretty sure the pre-order hat is the one the main character wears. I could be wrong though

Pseudonym
09-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Pretty sure the pre-order hat is the one the main character wears. I could be wrong though

I'm certain its the same hat. I just wondered if I could summon another one and do something stupid with it.

Donny
09-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Ah, gotcha. You can't do that, however you can totally type in "maxwell", "clone", or "doppleganger" and have some fun with that.

Rosewood
09-16-2009, 11:04 PM
After lots of failed experiments, I finally took care of 1-11, and did a couple of things that I hadn't seen others do.

Like Pseudonym I tried to use smoke to calm the bee, but it didn't seem to work, so I tried a fire instead. It scared the bee into the water, where the piranha killed it. Well, it wasn't a direct kill. :/

Then I put poison into the water, killing the piranha and earning me "bioterrorist" merit, retrieved the water flower, and used wings to get to the last flower.

nunix
09-16-2009, 11:32 PM
When you get to the 8-5

guhhhh I am stuck on 2-3 with the cops. 2-2 took me forever as well.

Some of my trouble is things not acting/interacting in a way I'd expect them to, but the rest of that is probably because I suck at this game. Which is depressing!

Donny
09-16-2009, 11:41 PM
For 2-3 Action: Start by creating a hammer or shovel and placing it near the totem pole and other stacked items when you get there. Then give yourself some wings or a jetpack to fly up to the top level. Then arm yourself with some chloroform and hit the cop with it to knock him out for a bit. Run for the hammer and chisel your way back down to the bottom level. Grab the starite and you win! Alternatively, you can create a trap and bait it with a donut to halt the cop momentarily.

Bongo
09-16-2009, 11:55 PM
Then I put poison into the water, killing the piranha and earning me "bioterrorist" merit

How did you manage to get the poison to go into the water? I tried it once and it didn't work out nicely.

Eusis
09-16-2009, 11:59 PM
How did you manage to get the poison to go into the water? I tried it once and it didn't work out nicely.
Yeah, I dropped it in to no effect. Understanding how to use the system will make my criticism diminish.

Somewhat dumb controls aside anyway.

Bongo
09-17-2009, 12:00 AM
Maybe we just need more of it.

Rosencrantz
09-17-2009, 01:39 AM
The first two worlds were sooo easy! But the third one is much harder for my puny, less-creative-than-I-thought brain to handle.

But you can create the freakin' Flatwoods Monster in this game and that counts for something.

Destil
09-17-2009, 02:55 AM
I was pleased to see that smoke works to put bees to sleep. Just not as long as I needed. How? I tried this like three times (as well as Beekeeper), and had no success.

Also, has anyone had any success using a winch? They've got a lot of attach points, but I've been unable to do what I wanted to with 'em so far (reel in a cable/rope).

Kirin
09-17-2009, 06:20 AM
So that sleepy kid who doesn't wanna wake up and get out of bed? I'm sure there's lots of solutions, but after a few things didn't work I lit his bed on fire. That showed 'im.

On flying: (I won't spoiler this since everybody's already talked about 'em) I find Wings and Jetpack have almost exactly the same range, but of course wings are much easier to control. Also, I hadn't thought of Pegasus, but almost by accident I once created a Sphinx, which I imagine works the same way.

Steel boxes: is there any good way to get rid of 'em short of my win-button Black Hole that I kind of hate using because it's so universal? Jackhammer doesn't do it, I tried Acid but it's in a bottle.

It's always amusing when glitchy physics wins a level for you. In the one that's nothing but ramps to drive on, with the starite at the apex of a final jump, I missed it with the jump, but then while messing around my scooter and I evntually glitched straight up a wall right into the starite.

Tip for spikes and grenades: I found that a Slide (playground variety) is just right for covering them up safely most of the time.

Gamgee
09-17-2009, 06:52 AM
Okay, I couldn't wait any longer and picked this up last night. Lots of fun so far, and it's hard for me to get past the start screen. Jumping from world to world (that I can afford), and it's pretty fun so far.

My favorite flub so far: On the level where you have to lead the cow away from traffic/butcher, I summoned a portal by accident and out came this demon which pushed all the cars forward which then pushed the cow directly into the butcher's path and it was chopped up faster than you can say cheeseburger. The TRY AGAIN screen popped up, and I smiled wickedly.

But yeah, fun game. I gotta make a list of words to try later on...

ZRofel
09-17-2009, 07:14 AM
I can't remember the number, but one of the levels requires you to retrieve a unicorn. My first thought was to lure it with something, and what else do you use to lure a unicorn but a virgin? I typed in "virgin" and it created a dorky looking guy wearing a t-shirt with a videogame controller on it. Nice.

Tomm Guycot
09-17-2009, 07:51 AM
so "Bull in a China Shop"

What the hell do I do here? My choices have ranged from figurative to literal but I just can't solve this level. I've experienced FOUR game-halting crashes in this level alone.

(My girlfriend has crashed it twice, once because she had the audacity to visit the Ollar Store)

I really like the game but I wish I didn't have to QA Test it for them.

nunix
09-17-2009, 08:08 AM
So that sleepy kid who doesn't wanna wake up and get out of bed? I'm sure there's lots of solutions, but after a few things didn't work I lit his bed on fire. That showed 'im.

I just set an ALARM CLOCK next to him on the bed, then interact'd with it.

Error Mackerel
09-17-2009, 08:15 AM
so "Bull in a China Shop"

What the hell do I do here? My choices have ranged from figurative to literal but I just can't solve this level. I've experienced FOUR game-halting crashes in this level alone.

(My girlfriend has crashed it twice, once because she had the audacity to visit the Ollar Store)

I really like the game but I wish I didn't have to QA Test it for them.

You break stuff. I doubt a bull would do it unless you could keep it spooked, but even then it wouldn't hit the chandeliers. I ended up just dropping fire on everything, that breaks it eventually. That's a cop-out solution, but I wanted to move on.

I'm not having as much fun as I'd like to with this game, between the horrible controls (I had to retry a level three times in a row just because Maxwell kept leaping into a pit when I was trying to tap on a rope that was flopping around), fighting with the physics, and the fact that at least half the levels are just "get this thing to this place."

Rosewood
09-17-2009, 08:21 AM

I'm not sure--I had fallen into the water and the "use" menu came up as the piranha was munching on me and I was able to do it.

Other oddness and observations...

I tried to put the 1-11 bee in a cage and ended up squashing it. I felt pretty good getting through Action 1-10 without killing the shark. One game freeze/crash. I semi-teleported to one Starite when I had not obviously gotten through the barrier between me and it (did not hesitate to take the win anyway). You can blow up the Starite! (It auto-fails the level.) "Submarine" and "bathysphere" are equivalent, and are huge. "Concrete" is good as a short platform to glue onto those metal abutments.

Question: does anybody have a list of tools/items to get through various kinds of soil/rock? I know how to get through the beige, sandy-looking soil, but haven't figured out anything else.

Rosencrantz
09-17-2009, 09:09 AM
For insects like the fly and the bee, I just used a frog to eat 'em. For that piranha I used a shark and then got rid of him when he was done.

Reinforcements
09-17-2009, 10:09 AM
That bee was strangely hard to get rid of. The damn thing ignored honey and killed a spider, a bird, and a beekeeper (either the beekeeper has no special interaction with bees or bees just hate them, neither of which makes sense) before I used a can of bugspray on it.

Thraeg
09-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Played some more of my friend's copy over lunch, and I don't think I'm going to be buying my own. It's got possibly the greatest gimmick in the history of gaming, but that's no substitute for good controls and varied, satisfying, and long-lasting gameplay.

Destil
09-17-2009, 07:09 PM
There is some limit on cheating: You can't get a Starite you create (though you can make them).

Donny
09-17-2009, 07:51 PM
There is some limit on cheating: You can't get a Starite you create (though you can make them).

Actually that gives you a win ONCE and only once.

Eusis
09-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Yeah, the controls are seriously some of the worst I've played and my opinion hasn't budged from there with more playing. It's still such a neat concept that I want to play and mess around anyway, but it's quickly making me feel bad for saying anything bad about Phantom Hourglass's stylus controls. As unnecessary as that may feel at times, Nintendo really did know how to implant those with minimal frustration and less of the feeling of being pointless.

Kirin
09-18-2009, 05:49 AM
The wonky physics I can mostly get used to, but the "accidentally made maxwell run off a cliff while trying to move an object" issue does get annoying. Not sure how I'd fix it, though. You could make either movement or object placement require a modifier (shoulder button?) but some levels require so much of each it seems like we'd be griping about that too. I dunno.

But the game's keeping me entertained anyway.

My favorite flying mount right now is a Sphinx, just becase I think it's stylish, but yesterday I discovered the drawback of riding a carnivore when it ate the duckling I was trying to save. Oops.

Also, to no surprise at all, Light Saber doesn't work because it's copyrighted (trying it just truncatges and gives you a normal metal saber), but Laser Sword works just dandy. It's not omnipotent, but it's a good melee weapon and can get through several materials. Cuts through ice blocks like butter, it does.

Speaking of ice blocks, man, some of those ice block action levels were a bitch.

I'm sure there's more things I want to babble about but I can never remember them all the next day...

Gredlen
09-18-2009, 09:42 AM
I discovered that, starting at around world 3 or so, I liked the puzzle stages WAAAY more than the action stages, so I've just started skipping those entirely. I'll probably go back and do them later, though.

Destil
09-18-2009, 09:50 AM
The wonky physics I can mostly get used to, but the "accidentally made maxwell run off a cliff while trying to move an object" issue does get annoying. Not sure how I'd fix it, though. You could make either movement or object placement require a modifier (shoulder button?) but some levels require so much of each it seems like we'd be griping about that too. I dunno.Camera panning should require holding shoulder, and the camra should freeze in place until you double click the shoulder button to return to Maxwell. I don't know how many times I've tried to work off screen just to get frustrated as the camera stats to pan back on it's own. And you don't move it enough that it would be annoying.

Calorie Mate
09-18-2009, 09:55 AM
My favorite flying mount right now is a Sphinx, just becase I think it's stylish, but yesterday I discovered the drawback of riding a carnivore when it ate the duckling I was trying to save. Oops.

I was riding a Sphinx yesterday (why are we spoilering that?) and accidentally hopped off because of the aforementioned terrible controls. It immediately attacked and killed me!

Also, I'm thinking maybe I'll try to blow through all the Puzzle levels in the game before doing the Action ones, because the Action ones are the ones that frustrate the hell out of me.

Thraeg
09-18-2009, 10:19 AM
The wonky physics I can mostly get used to, but the "accidentally made maxwell run off a cliff while trying to move an object" issue does get annoying. Not sure how I'd fix it, though. You could make either movement or object placement require a modifier (shoulder button?) but some levels require so much of each it seems like we'd be griping about that too. I dunno.

Simple. Let the d-pad control Maxwell's movement, and have screen-scrolling controlled by pushing the stylus at the edge of the screen, just like in an RTS. That change right there might have been enough to get me to buy the game.

ZRofel
09-18-2009, 10:25 AM
Also, to no surprise at all, Light Saber doesn't work because it's copyrighted (trying it just truncatges and gives you a normal metal saber), but Laser Sword works just dandy. It's not omnipotent, but it's a good melee weapon and can get through several materials. Cuts through ice blocks like butter, it does.

My favorite default melee weapon is Excalibur. I haven't done a blow-by-blow comparison with some of the other strong melee weapons like the Laser Sword or the Chainsaw, but it definitely kills things much faster than a regular Sword.

Also, has anybody else tried using the Teleporter to go to that weird developer's room? Is there anything special you can do there?

Kirin
09-19-2009, 12:31 PM
I didn't find anything in particular to do in that room, but if you recreate any of the developers you get a merit thingy, I think.

So I was playing every level in order until I got to about world 4, then for more variety I started just doing the first four levels of each type before moving to the next world. I did a few three-in-a-row challenges on short levels I had different ideas for. Not only did I have plenty of Ollars to open all the worlds, I discovered I had enough left at the end to buy every single thing in the Ollar Store. Well, ok then. Gonna have an awful lotta leftover ollars by the time I finished this game.

I also noticed once you buy all the avatars from the store, there's one more mystery one left unopened on the selection screen. Bonus for finishing every level maybe? That'll be a while.

Later levels have some crazy mythological creatures. Handy that Frost Giants are afraid of fire. I also ran into something that must've been based on the same critter as the Raiko pokemon.

I was intrigued to discover that Vampires are basically invincible to weaponry (except a certain obvious one, and there are other ways to deal with them too). So I thought maybe they'd be good for clearing out heavily armed adversaries... which they are, except that everyone they defeat comes back as a ghoul. Oops.

Bungee cords can be useful.

I've started liking the Pteranodon more than the Sphinx.

Tomm Guycot
09-19-2009, 01:30 PM
When I type in Bungee cord I don't get a bungee cord.