PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Caribbean 3

blitzchamp
06-05-2007, 10:45 AM
What was better, the game or the movie? I only read the games reviews in EGM. 6.0, 4.0, and 5.5. Not that great. I thought the movie was great, though I'm sure some people would like to argue that point. The movie had great effects, the music was okay, and the acting was great. I was annoyed, however, that I had to wait for all the credits to roll before that very brief clip that didn't really add to anything. I have yet to play the game though.

shivam
06-05-2007, 10:53 AM
both were terrible.

reibeatall
06-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Good for achievement points on the 360, other than that, stay far away from the game.

Makkara
06-05-2007, 11:15 AM
I liked Pirates of the Caribbean better when it was called Monkey Island. And was funny.

tungwene
06-05-2007, 11:18 AM
I liked this one better than the second one which isn't saying much. Mostly pissed at the way they killed off Norrington.

JCDenton
06-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Haven't played the game, but the movie only worked as a spectacle. Barbossa was fun to watch, but a lot of the acting sucked (I'm looking at you Keira and Orlando) The plot was incredibly, pointlessly convoluted and the whole thing was at least an hour too long.

TheSL
06-05-2007, 11:25 AM
I still stand by the idea that the second and third movies were meant to be one but they inserted filler and cut it in two because trilogies are the thing to do in Hollywood.

Zef
06-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Despite it being a bloated, overwrought, overcomplicated, and overlong mess... I really really liked At World's End. Unlike Spidey 3 (which disappointed me for similar reasons,) its characters and their motivations were fully fleshed out and developed logically, and they ran parallel to the main goal rather than intercept it. I'll gladly buy the trilogy boxset once it comes out, though I'll probably want to rent the standalone version to hear Verbinski and the script writers try to explain the massive plot holes and contradictions. I particularly want to hear their justification for having the Brethren and EITC fleets just sit back and watch while the protagonists duked it out.

I felt the bit at the end provided appropriate closure to those characters' plotline, and brought the three films full-circle very nicely. Judging by Internet reaction, though, it confused a great deal of moviegoers, and apparently there's a blog somewhere where the writers try to retcon it to provide an alternate explanation.

(I second the thought on Norrington. He was a fascinating character with tremendous potential in this movie, yet talk about literally throwing him away. Not that Bootstrap himself fared any better.)

Loki
06-05-2007, 11:29 AM
It's not better than Dead Man's Chest. Let's get that out of the way.

The movie never reached the fun of the previous two. There's no defining set piece that had the thrill and fun that I thought was the series' trademark. Sure, it arrives late in Dead Man's Chest, but that Water Wheel scene is something else. The only thing that comes close in At World’s End is the wedding.

Instead, the movie tries to be epic but there's no scene that comes close to matching the end of Dead Man's Chest when Jack fights the Kraken. This movie tries to be epic what with the battle in maelstrom but in the end the movie ends up being merely big. There’s a difference between a big movie and an epic one. If anything this movie proves this point.

The plot is all over the place. Things happen but the reasons are always for the service of moving the plot rather than any rational explanation (why doesn't Beckett fight back at the end, oh right because the plot requires that he shouldn't). Character motivations are the same. They're irrational and muddied. The whole Calypso thing comes out of nowhere and feels like padding. And after all this talking about wheather to free her or not it turns out that it really didn't matter because she just made it rain for a little while. Also, Chow Yun-Fat was completely wasted.

I got real tired of monkey jokes. Jack the Monkey is given way too much screen time. I always liked the wit the series had in the past, it's still present here but toned way down, seemingly to give more time to Jack the Monkey doing something silly. The audience ate it up though (also, the biggest laugh the movie got was when the midget went flying after firing the gun, suffice to say it wasn't a very good audience).

HOWEVER

Gosh darn did the movie have some great effects. Rock crabs, ghostly fish pirates, Shipwreck Cove. Not only are the effects the best you're likely to see all year but the creative force behind them is brilliant. Effects are a dime a dozen these days but when you see something that has real VISION you're left with a sense of wonderment that makes up for a lot of the movies faults. Also, Beckett walking through the flying debris was technically astounding even if it didn't make a lick of sense.

Individual scenes worked well. Jack and Barbossa's rivalry was fun as was the Brethren Court. Keith Richards appearance was appreciated even though it really didn't have a point beyond HAY KEITH RICHARDS!.

I really liked the character's fates at the end of the movie. It felt right and it made the characters into important people in the world at large (although Elizabeth's fate is negated by the "Ten Years Later" bonus). The plot was convoluted but at least it led up to a satisfying conclusion.

The preview for Ratatouille was really good. It looks to be Pixar's best movie yet. It could be a highpoint in this waste of a year. Of course, the audience was completely impartial to it while going crazy for the Surfs Up and Underdog previews.

IN CONCLUSION

At World's End is the weakest of the three Pirates movies. And not by a small margin either. It's way too long, way too talky, lacks the series' trademark fun, it's big but not epic, and relies on pandering mascot pratfalls more than wit or snappy writing.

I'm kinda amazed so many people are saying that this is better than Dead Man's Chest. It expounded on all of Dead Man's Chest's weaknesses and has few of it's strengths (the effects mostly, and Captain Jack is always a joy, I just wish the movie didn't take 45 minutes to get to him).

blitzchamp
06-05-2007, 11:43 AM
Gosh darn did the movie have some great effects. Rock crabs, ghostly fish pirates, Shipwreck Cove.

The frequent crabs made me REALLY hungry for some seafood while I was waiting for the movie to finish. =p

Evil Dead Junkie
06-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Here's Pirates 3 in a nutshell. A Good forty five minutes at the beginning, a good forty five minutes at the end.

A whole lot of shit inbetween.

Still I grade these things easier since I never really bought into the whole "OMG PIRATES IS LIKE INDIANA JONES BUT TIMES A BILLION!!!"

shivam
06-05-2007, 12:22 PM
dead man's chest put me to sleep. there was just so much damn action that i glazed over. and for me, the bretheren council thing was the only redeeming part of potc3, aside from the amazing sets.

tungwene
06-05-2007, 12:25 PM
It's been a few weekends since I saw it so it's taking me a while to dredge up memories. I'd also like to add I really liked the scene where they had to flip the boat over to find their way back into the world of the living. It was just a really crazy idea and appealed to me for some reason.

djSyndrome
06-05-2007, 12:29 PM
The only thing I remember about this movie is the great dinner and fantastic sex I had afterwards.

What was it called again?

blitzchamp
06-05-2007, 12:37 PM
The only thing I remember about this movie is the great dinner and fantastic sex I had afterwards.

What was it called again?

LOL wow what was for dinner?

blitzchamp
06-05-2007, 12:39 PM
It's been a few weekends since I saw it so it's taking me a while to dredge up memories. I'd also like to add I really liked the scene where they had to flip the boat over to find their way back into the world of the living. It was just a really crazy idea and appealed to me for some reason.

Yah that scene confused me for about 15 minutes.

poetfox
06-05-2007, 12:44 PM
I know nothing of ship to ship combat, but even I knew that someone needs to tell the people who made that movie to look up how to do ship to ship combat. This fact is pretty well all me and my friends talked about after the film.

alexb
06-05-2007, 12:47 PM
What about Calypso? They spend the better part of two movies building her up to have go giant and quasi-naked and turn into a bunch of crabs? And why spend so much time building up Davy Jones just to kill him in so quick and lackluster fashion? Not even a tragic death scene where he gets to call out in pain and remorse. Just dropped him in the drink. And I'll second the fact that they wasted Norrington and Bootstrap Bill. And for that matter, Elizabeth's father.

And Chow Yun Fat and the entire Singapore sequence. Why? Even putting aside the fact that it added little to the story, do you know how long it would take to get from Tortuga to Singapore in those days? No Panama Canal. They'd have to go around the tip of South America, through the Strait of Magellan, then all the way back up the length of South America in addition to crossing the Pacific. It would take nearly half a year each way.

But the worst part about the later two movies is that they completely metamorphosized the nature of the characters. By the end of it all, I kind of hated all three protagonists. They were all lying, triple dealing assholes who don't even trust their friends. That's okay for Jack, but to drag down Will and Elizabeth, too?

tungwene
06-05-2007, 12:50 PM
And Chow Yun Fat and the entire Singapore sequence. Why? Even putting aside the fact that it added little to the story, do you know how long it would take to get from Tortuga to Singapore in those days? No Panama Canal. They'd have to go around the tip of South America, through the Strait of Magellan, then all the way back up the length of South America in addition to crossing the Pacific. It would take nearly half a year each way.Though what do you expect from the same movie that had the same ship sail into the land of the dead half an hour later into movie, and then make them flip their boat over to come back into the land of the living.

BEAT
06-05-2007, 01:06 PM
I thought it was great. Fine pointless fun. Exactly what I go to the movies for in the first place.

alexb
06-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Though what do you expect from the same movie that had the same ship sail into the land of the dead half an hour later into movie, and then make them flip their boat over to come back into the land of the living.

I could deal with that. That was supernatural. But there wasn't any sort of satisfactory explanation of the logistics of going to Singapore and back.

Chu
06-05-2007, 01:46 PM
I went to see this movie with a "WHEE PIRATES" mindset, but yeah, I still felt like it was too long and too convoluted. It also took a lot of willpower for me to restrain myself from giggling like a schoolgirl and whispering to my friends, "Calypso has crabs." All those special effects and all she did was grow big and turn into crabs? I was hoping for something a little more spectacular, although I guess it would have been too silly even for these movies to have her turn into Godzilla or something.

Now where's my fifth Monkey Island game?

Savathun
06-05-2007, 01:59 PM
I liked it more than I.. didn't like it, but there were a ton of problems. It reminds me of the last two Matrix movies. I understood the plot in the Pirates movies, but I'm still left feeling like I'm missing out on something extra that would've made the movies more fun. Much like I felt with the Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions. I almost have to remind myself that there's nothing necessarily confusing about the end of POTC3. It's just that it's sort of... out of character for everyone and not particularly memorable.

And why is Barbossa a pirate lord? Wasn't he just Jack's first mate before he did the mutiny thing? I guess he rose up in the ranks pretty fast? Or just anyone gets to be a pirate lord or something. Just seems odd that all of a sudden Barbossa is such a big deal. And you can't shake the notion that the only reason he's such a big deal is because the fans MADE him a big deal and the writers kind of forgot what the character really was initially.

And Calypso really was a waste of time. They made it seem like she might show up and be a rather large villain with Barbossa at her side, once Becket and Jones are taken care of, but nope, she just dissapears. She's just there to make a vortex so they can try to have a big setpiece.

sraymonds
06-05-2007, 02:13 PM

What was it called again?I think that movie ended up being called "Picturing Johnny Depp".

And Chow Yun Fat and the entire Singapore sequence. Why? Even putting aside the fact that it added little to the story, do you know how long it would take to get from Tortuga to Singapore in those days? No Panama Canal. They'd have to go around the tip of South America, through the Strait of Magellan, then all the way back up the length of South America in addition to crossing the Pacific. It would take nearly half a year each way.
Did he at least get to dual wield some pistols? That would make the movie so much better. And doves.

alexb
06-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Nope. No pistols. No heroic bloodshed. He gets unceremoniously poked with a big piece of wood and dies anticlimactically after half-heartedly trying to rape Keira Knightley's bony, underbiting ass. Yellow peril, anyone?

Red Hedgehog
06-05-2007, 02:36 PM
I elected not to see this movie because the previous one was bad and I had no hopes that this one would be any better. From what people have told me, I was right.

tungwene
06-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Nope. No pistols. No heroic bloodshed. He gets unceremoniously poked with a big piece of wood and dies anticlimactically after half-heartedly trying to rape Keira Knightley's bony, underbiting ass. Yellow peril, anyone?This only continues to support my theory that anyone who kisses Keira Knightley in this series is fated to die or suffer some horrible miserable fate equal to death. Her kiss is the accursed kiss of death. Or maybe the people who do kiss her would rather wish they'd die because of the experience. Which came first? Chicken or egg?

virulent
06-05-2007, 06:20 PM
The first movie was pretty good. The second movie... not so much. And this one, I think, wrapped it up nicely. It answered the questions that had been left out there, had great effects, and most things you would expect from the final (or is it?) movie in a trilogy. It was still too long and could've been trimmed down a bit, though it doesn't suffer from that as much as the second one did.

Meh. I knew what I was gettin' when I slapped down my ten bucks, and I can't say I was disappointed. Can't say I completely enjoyed it either.

Jeanie
06-05-2007, 07:42 PM
This only continues to support my theory that anyone who kisses Keira Knightley in this series is fated to die or suffer some horrible miserable fate equal to death. Her kiss is the accursed kiss of death. Or maybe the people who do kiss her would rather wish they'd die because of the experience. Which came first? Chicken or egg?

What about Arthur eh? He became King of the Britons afterwards.

To be honest, I'd risk it. She has nice face and nice legs in my opinion. A bit too skinny but oh well.

blitzchamp
06-06-2007, 08:11 AM
What about Arthur eh? He became King of the Britons afterwards.

To be honest, I'd risk it. She has nice face and nice legs in my opinion. A bit too skinny but oh well.

Face and legs are very important features. =)

chocogaz
06-06-2007, 06:45 PM
I liked it better than two, but that's not really saying much.

I also liked Pirates 2 and 3 better than Matrix 2 and 3. Which also is not saying much.

tungwene
06-06-2007, 11:25 PM
I liked it better than two, but that's not really saying much.

I also liked Pirates 2 and 3 better than Matrix 2 and 3. Which also is not saying much.Hehe, you and me in the same boat here. As weak as Pirates 2 and 3 are compared to the first movie they're still miles ahead of the last two Matrix movies.

alexb
06-06-2007, 11:41 PM
Pirates at least never pretended to be deep.

sraymonds
06-07-2007, 09:01 AM
He gets unceremoniously poked with a big piece of wood and dies anticlimactically after half-heartedly trying to rape Keira Knightley's bony, underbiting ass. Yellow peril, anyone?

Now did this happen before or after she gave that speech about how pirates should be free to do whatever they want, like, say, rape?

Also, that “secret” ending was balls. I was expecting something more like the X-Men 3 ending.

And Kiera Knightley. I'd hit it.

alexb
06-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Before. She's sort of pretty, but the girls who are pretty and know it are insufferable. Besides, the previous model in her line, Winona Ryder, was a lot cuter.

sraymonds
06-15-2007, 09:27 AM
I guess we're not the only ones unhappy with Chow Yun-fats role in Pirates. (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117966663.html?categoryid=13&cs=1) I'm not surprised really.

locit
06-15-2007, 04:46 PM
I never saw it, but can someone answer me how in the hell a woman becomes Pirate King?

Chu
06-15-2007, 05:35 PM
Despite their name, the Brethren Council are equal opportunity employers.

locit
06-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Oh I'm not taking issue with female pirates. I'm taking issue with the refusal to refer to a femal monarch by the proper term. You know, a queen.

poetfox
06-15-2007, 06:19 PM
It's a job title. The Pirate Queen is a completely different job.

tungwene
06-16-2007, 11:34 PM
It's a job title. The Pirate Queen is a completely different job.But they're not dragons. They're pirates.

alexb
06-16-2007, 11:36 PM
It's a pirate bureaucracy. It's going to take them time to officially change the title. That takes a 2/3 majority vote.