PDA

View Full Version : It's a sad thing that your adventure ended Here. Let's Play... Shadowgate!


Octopus Prime
12-21-2008, 02:10 AM
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0000.png

I’m breaking one of my own rules here, by doing an LP of this game. Normally I only do them for games which I’ve either never played, or only have dim recollections from my childhood of.

Not so, with Shadowgate.

I’ve played this sucker enough that I don’t think I even need to see the screen to have a successful runthrough. Consequently, I’m doing this one a little differently:

In the grand tradition of the woefully abandoned Lone Wolf LP, and the Aerobiz LP which I can only assume is still going (this bit is being written in early December, you see, and Lone Wolf was abandoned back then), this here is a Choose Your Own Adventure-style Lets Play! I’ll be doing the linear bits, and some puzzle solving, and I’ll turn the reigns over to YOU, the Viewer, at the end of each Update. One might ask “How much audience participation can you have when the game is entirely linear?”, and I would reply “Shut-up, kid”.

I’m sure fun times will be had by some.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0001.png
Now you find yourself staring at an entryway which lies on the edge of a forest. The Druids words ring in your ears:
“Within Castle Shadowgate lies your quest. The dreaded Warlock Lord will use his black magic to raise The Behemoth from the Dark Depths. The combination of his evil arts and the great titans power will surely destroy us all! You are the last of Line of Kings, the seed of prophecy that was foretold eons ago. Only you can stop the Evil One from darkening our world forever! Fare thee well.“
Gritting your teeth, you swear by your Gods name that you will destroy the Warlock Lord!!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0002.png

You also make a mental note that it was difficult to determine what of the Druids words were supposed to be proper nouns, since everything he said was in capital letters. You also notice that the Druids words used a lot of unnecessary apostrophes and too many exclamation marks, and would be sure to eliminate those in your memoirs of your quest. I suppose you can’t criticize the grammar of a man who lives in a dirt hut and wears nothing but woad. I mean, he DID magically transport you to the castle with all your limbs intact, so that’s something.

Would have been nice if he also sent you with some kind of tools or advice for killing the Warlock Lord too, though.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0003.png

The door to Castle Shadowgate is closed, but unlocked. You think that odd, as the Warlock Lord surely would have bothered to at least latch his stronghold with something. Just as a precaution, you deface the outside of Shadowgates entrance by removing the Skull decorating it.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0004.png

The Skull moves and reveals a key. You thank your good fortune, pocket Key 1, and move into the entrance to the Castle.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0008.png
You will surely regret it, for the only thing for you here is a horrible death!”
The sound of his maniacal laughter fills your ears.

“Presumably that was the Warlock Lord”, you think, “His grammar is just as bad as Lakmirs”.

Gazing about the foyer of Shadowgate you spy a pair of unused Torches hooked to the wall, you take them, as the one you currently have would not last forever, and you have a sneaking suspicion that if your current torch goes out, you will instantly die.

Also in the room, you notice a small closet, its door is too thick to break open, and you will need to unlock it to open it. The large wooden door is also locked.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0009.png

Key 1 fits into the wooden door, and you enter the next room of the Castle.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0010.png

This third room has several items of note. Not only does it have another pair of torches, but there is a book as well. You take the Torches, and notice that one of them is marked differently then the rest you’ve acquired. There is a label on the marked torch reading: “Anti-Ghost Torch: For all your Ghost Incinerating Needs”.

You then make the logical assumption and take the book.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0011.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0012.png

Clearly that was a bad idea, and you decide to rewind time and try the room again. You can do that, you see. I don’t think I mentioned it before, though, but you totally can. Trust me.

This time you read the book, without removing it, which doesn’t trigger the deathtrap.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0013.png
A rectangular hole has been cut out of the inside of the book.

Inside the book is Key 2, which you (cautiously) take. The floor doesn’t fall away as you remove the key, you sigh with relief and walk away from the book.

You return back to the foyer, to see if Key 2 fits inside the lock.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0017.png
You immediately take both and, lacking any better ideas, you decide to use the Sword on yourself.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0018.png
The Warlock Lord will surely triumph now

That was an incredibly stupid idea, clearly.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0014.png

Back in the Book room, you notice a slightly off-color rock in the wall, and surely enough, it can be removed, revealing another passage.

The Path Branches, do you:
A) Enter the secret Passage
B) Continue along the hall
C) Try to use other inventory items on yourself


Current Death Count: 2

locit
12-21-2008, 02:16 AM
This is like MS Paint Adventures, but I'm actually playing it!

A) Enter the secret Passage

DemoWeasel
12-21-2008, 02:22 AM
Use other items on yourself.

Lucas
12-21-2008, 03:00 AM
Would have been nice if he also sent you with some kind of tools or advice for killing the Warlock Lord too, though.

Hey, he gave you a torch. That's better than a lot of these heroes get when they start out.

You should totally burn the rug in that first hallway. If nothing else it'll really hurt the resale value of the castle. You know what else would lower its resale value? A burned corpse in the foyer. Try using a torch on yourself.

Son of Sinistar
12-21-2008, 03:08 AM
I think you should use the Anti-Ghost Torch on yourself to make sure you are not a ghost.

Sanagi
12-21-2008, 05:29 AM
This game is all about the vivid descriptions of your own death. The acid fountain one is the best.

Loki
12-21-2008, 07:43 AM
I second burning yourself.

For science.

Zarathustra
12-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Do Shadowgate 64, instead!

PapillonReel
12-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Kill yourself.

Netbrian
12-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Burn yourself.

Then, find out for us if the game can be completed using only one torch.

For us!

Octopus Prime
12-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Oh, I can't deny the puclic what it plainly wants.

===========================================

The chattering gestalt of voices in your head reached the only logical course of action when you find yourself faced with a decision like “Which path do I take, left or right?”

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0020.png

“OW, OW, OW!” you cry out “WHY THE HELL DID I DO THAT?” But honestly, those are terrific burns. Really, they’re great.

Luckily, the wounds are not fatal, nor do they slightly impede your progress. As it would happen, your hands were already severely calloused from a similar experience you had trying to impress a girl in high school.

It worked just as well then as it did now.

Just to make sure it wasn’t a fluke, you try using the torch on yourself again.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0021.png

“OH DEAR GOD! WHY DO I KEEP BURNING MYSELF?” you yell, to nobody in particular.

Just to be on the safe side, you try incinerating yourself one more time.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0023.png

Clearly this was a terrible idea, you had.

Rewinding the very course of history, you retreat back to the foyer and enjoy one more little bit of arson, as you burn the rug. Just for laughs.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0024.png

That’ll teach that uppity Warlock Lord!

Now you return to the forked road, to focus more intently on whether you should:

A) Enter the secret Passage
B) Continue along the hall


Death Count: 3

PapillonReel
12-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Head into the hallway, since it's most likely tra- I mean, safe.

SpoonyGundam
12-21-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm going to assume that you also wrote the most recent post in early December and just accurately predicted that the entirety of Talking Time would ask you to set yourself on fire.

Octopus Prime
12-21-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm going to assume that you also wrote the most recent post in early December and just accurately predicted that the entirety of Talking Time would ask you to set yourself on fire.

I DID predict this, but I didn't bother to write it. In all honesty, that was foolhearty.

However, until I tried, I didn't you you could die by immolation. I always only tried it once, so I just burned my hands instead of... myself to death.

Brer
12-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Secret Passage

Stiv
12-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Hallway!

DANoWAR
12-22-2008, 12:59 AM
Both!

Brickroad
12-22-2008, 02:14 AM
Burn yourself to death again. Just in case someone's hidden a key inside your manly unburnt flesh. Or something.

Mightyblue
12-22-2008, 02:20 AM
Ooops, wrong thread. I vote for the hallway though!

Octopus Prime
12-22-2008, 03:46 PM
The babbling mental cacophony seemed to agree that the hallway was the better course of direction then the scary hole in the wall.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0025.png

And promptly find yourself at yet another forked road. Rather then resorting to the terrible voices in your head again, you close you eyes and plunge into the right-most door.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0026.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0027.png

Besides the shark infested pool, you can’t help but notice another key. This one being held in the hands of a skeleton, placed in the middle of the aforementioned Shark-Infested Pool.

You assume that you can easily out maneuver a shark with your years of swimming practice.

Well, your weeks of practice.

Well… you went down a waterslide once.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0028.png

Normally, a thought like that wouldn’t even slow you down from trying something recklessly dangerous, but your negligible sense of self preservation kicks in and stubbornly refuses to allow you to swim in the lake. You can’t help but feel that the voices in your head would be disappointed to learn this.

On a cheerier note, however, you spy another door in the distance and enter it.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0029.png

Unfortunately, this room is considerably less shark-filled. It is, however, rock-filled. You fill your pockets with what are surely rare and precious stones that will prove to be invaluable in your quest.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0030.png

The other, larger stones block off another door, and there is no way that you would ever consider to remove them. Seriously, you’re not going to do that. Maybe later, when there is no threat of The Behemoth and Warlock Lord, you can clear out your social calendar and tediously remove the wreckage, but until then, no go.

You also decide to fling yourself into the waterfall.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0031.png
The damp walls of this eerie cave are rough and irregular

As it would happen, there was another, significantly tinier, cave buried in the crack between the cave-in and the waterfall. It’s a good thing you’re obsessive about hunting down even the most inconsequential details of the landscape and futzing with them.

Similarly, your obsessive compulsive disorder can’t leave that rock-outcropping just sticking out of the wall all irregular-like. So you punch the hell out of it, just to teach it an important lesson about conformity.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0032.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0033.png

That was unexpected.

The small bag in the crevasse contains White, Red and Blue gems. They must be pretty important to be hidden so far out of the way in an almost invisible secret room. You take them all, but leave the bag behind.

You briefly attempt to try crouching at the lake with the Blue Gem, in the hope that this will cause the water to drain away, allowing you to get the key. However, that is a stupid idea and there is no way any quest in any video game would EVER attempt a puzzle as asinine as that.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0034.png

Besides, with your limited grasp on verbs, you don’t know the MEANING of the word “crouch”.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0035.png

You return to the room with the three doors, and horrible indecision plagues you yet again. Do you:

A) Enter the North Door
B) Enter the West Door
C) Go back and head into the secret passage

Death Count: 3 (but not for lack of trying)

Brer
12-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Go West, Young Man.

DemoWeasel
12-22-2008, 03:54 PM
Everyone knows secret passages are best.

Zef
12-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Use Stone on Self.

Nobuyuki
12-22-2008, 05:23 PM
You don't find a secret passage then just ignore it.

PapillonReel
12-22-2008, 05:37 PM
Kill yourself.

Rai
12-22-2008, 05:41 PM
West! West! Manifest some destiny!

Lucas
12-22-2008, 05:59 PM
The blue stone may not work on the shark pool, but I bet hitting the pool with a torch would screw it up something fierce.

VorpalEdge
12-22-2008, 06:11 PM
If you guys haven't played this game before, you should go download the soundtrack and listen to it while participating. It kicks a lot of ass.

I'm not participating, as I've beaten the game before and have no funny death ideas left. :(

Stiv
12-22-2008, 06:29 PM
1) Stone yourself
2) Secret passage!

Loki
12-23-2008, 07:11 AM
When in doubt Kai Lords always go east.

Octopus Prime
12-23-2008, 09:18 AM
When in doubt Kai Lords always go east.

Kind of already did the East thing.

Loki
12-23-2008, 09:20 AM
But you left the bag.

I've got a feeling it's important.

McDohl
12-23-2008, 09:48 AM
LOOK at SELF.

Octopus Prime
12-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Your multiple personalities have reached a 3-to-2 decision that heading back into that Secret Passage would be a good idea. But first, some of the other, more… erratic… voices had some ideas too.

Firstly, you’re going to go back and teach that sonofabitch lake a thing or two about fire safety!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0036.png
Ssssss… the flame went out!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0038.png
With out-stretched arms you move slowly, looking for a light. Suddenly, you trip over something! SMASH! You fall face-first on the floor!

Logic would dictate that you actually fell into the shark pool. And… fell onto the shark, breaking your face.

Then the shark probably ate you.

Stupid shark.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0041.png

Using the Stone on yourself accomplishes nothing besides making you look silly.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0042.png

At least you’re looking spiffy.

That dealt with, once more into that Secret Passage with you!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0043.png

The passage leads to another small room, with a really, really conspicuous arrow on display. You wrack your brain trying to figure out why The Warlock Lord would go through the trouble of mounting a single arrow on a wall, and then sealing off that room with a concealed passage. Possibly for the same reason that he created another doorway too far up for you to reach, and doesn’t lead anywhere anyway.
Truly the mind of evil is full of twists and turns.

To prove a point about sensible home decoration, you take the Silver Arrow off the wall, and the torches too.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0044.png

Well, you try to take the torches; they’re stuck in there with glue or something.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0046.png

Continued fidgeting with the stuck torch causes it to move and reveal yet ANOTHER secret passage.

Just to be on the safe side, you try to go through the upper door before heading down the stairs.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0047.png

“Oh my (respective) God(s)” you cry, “My rump!”. Gently massaging your bruised rump, you head down the stairs.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0048.png
This cave is hewn roughly into the chasms wall

This isn’t your first perilous quest into a wizards haunted castle, relying only on your wits to survive. One Bridge looks strong, well built and capable of easily supporting your weight, the other mainly exists to help give a shape to the screaming pit with no visible bottom.

Conventional logic would dictate that the strong bridge is a really, really obvious trap and will kill you horrifically if you attempted to cross it, but the other one is probably really sturdy, it’s just that you can’t see it from this angle. Like in The Last Crusade.

And so you fling yourself across the barely-corporeal bridge.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0050.png
The Bridge won’t hold you. You can’t cross until you lose some weight!

As you plunge to your death, you can’t help but feel that the fat joke was uncalled for. Rewinding time, you cross the stronger of the two bridges, choking back hot tears since you can’t help your eating problem.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0051.png

“AHH! A G-G-G-G-GHOST!”

The spookiest spook you’ve EVER seen prevents you from advancing. With one single “Boo” it scares you, but GOOD. There’s no way you’re leaving this haunted room until that creepy ghost is GONE!

Do You:
A) Give him some pretty gems to appease his ghostliness
B) Take that bathrobe, throw it over yourself and try to spook him back
C) Re-Kill him with conventional weapons
D) Re-Kill him with unconventional weapons

Death Count: 5

Brickroad
12-23-2008, 10:45 AM
Quick! Massage your rump again!

Loki
12-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Light the ghost on fire with a torch.

PapillonReel
12-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Steal the ghost's bathrobe!

liquidben
12-23-2008, 12:32 PM
Does using your rock-crushing fist on the wraith count as conventional?

Failing the fists, whistle innocently while slipping the nearby torches into your pack?

Rai
12-23-2008, 02:45 PM
It's probably just some guy in a rubber mask. Since I don't see a mysteriously talking dog anywhere, go ahead and scare him with the bath robe. That'll teach the geezer to dress up like a ghost.

q 3
12-23-2008, 05:16 PM
Everyone knows ghosts are sissies. Punch him in the face until he cries and runs away!

If you guys haven't played this game before, you should go download virt's awesometastic arrangement of the soundtrack (http://www.biglionmusic.com/music/arrangements/game-arrangements/shadowgate-warrior-king) and listen to it while participating. It kicks a lot of ass.

PapillonReel
12-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Oh, and also: kill yourself.

Netbrian
12-23-2008, 06:27 PM
Oh, and also: kill yourself.

With the arrow.

Lucas
12-23-2008, 06:50 PM
Oh, and also: kill yourself.With the arrow.

You might be a werewolf!

Stiv
12-23-2008, 07:16 PM
You might be a werewolf!

Unfortunately I don't think Shadowgate II: Your Warlock Is A Werewolf was ever released.

Kill yourself with the arrow, maybe then you can talk the wraith into leaving you alone (and being less spooky).

McDohl
12-24-2008, 12:48 AM
I think you better try to reason with all those voices in your head.

SPEAK to SELF.

Nobuyuki
12-24-2008, 12:54 AM
Everybody knows ghost are more afraid of you than you are of them, just throw a few rocks and he'll run away. If that fails, challenge him to a round of fisticuffs. He can't be that hard to take out.

Oh, and I'm gonna go against the grain and say not to use ARROW on SELF. No, I say you should use ARROW on SHARK.

Brickroad
12-24-2008, 12:59 AM
USE SHARK on SELF

Sanagi
12-24-2008, 08:00 AM
Fun fact: You can kill yourself with the shield. IIRC it's the same death as the sword and the arrow.

EDIT: I hallucinated this fun fact. That's what makes it so fun.

Octopus Prime
12-24-2008, 02:46 PM
You stand forward, put all your fears to the side, and punch that ghost until he wishes he was alive again so that he could DIE!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0052.png

Of course, this IS a super-spooky ghost, and you’re too creeped out to even get within smacking distance. The same thing happens when you try to get near to his bathrobe to take it.

Finally, you look that ghost in his eye-socket and say “I’d rather DIE then live in fear of you, ghost!”

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0054.png

Rewinding time, you try to think of a more prudent way to get past the creature. Just then, you remember your Ghost-B-Gonne Torch, soaked in exorcising citronella!
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0055.png

With a shout, you throw the flaming torch at It. With a blinding flash, the white flame engulfs the undead apparition! When you open your eyes again, the Wraith is gone!

You sigh with relief that you exploded that ghost. He was creeping you out! But now he won’t be bragging to his ghostly buddies about how he made the Last of the Line of Kings need to change his underbloomers.

Well, assuming that an exploded ghost goes somewhere that regular ghosts don’t already hang out. You know what I mean.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0057.png

You also finally take the Wraiths bathrobe. It is totally unimpressive, containing no pockets, or a hood, it’s just a robe. It IS a pretty cold robe though, one that might be able to prevent you from, say, exploding in a ball of fire if you were to walk into a room which was full of towering flames.

Hypothetically.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0059.png

There is a door, just off screen that you simply cannot reach. Nor can you see. The fact that you even made a note of it on your map if you’re not going to look at it, is one to ponder on. But then, obsessive compulsion is just one of your many, many delightful quirks, and you can’t NOT put it on the map.

The other, more visible, door is less obnoxious and you can open it easily.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0060.png

The Wraith was apparently preventing access to The Warlock Lords pantry. You immediately pocket all the jars and preserves he has (a questing hero can get hungry), and set about investigating the room.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0061.png

Epor? That sounds familiar for some reason. Didn’t you go to school with a Darryl Epor? No, no that wasn’t it. Maybe it was a line from that popular movie you like?

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0062.png

Oh, of course! The second time you look at the sign you recognize that it’s a powerful bit of Attack Magic that deals 3d8 damage to String-Based monsters! And conveniently, there is a rope there on the floor.

You use up a Mana Charge and cast Epor!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0065.png
Having stretched up to the hole, the rope stops moving.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0067.png

You also spy a suspicious outcropping in the far wall, and, sure enough, it too is a secret door! You ignore the rope for now (a fear of heights is among your many various phobias), and head into the secret room.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0068.png

This tiny room contains a tablet that is just the right size to fit a colored Gem, and it also contains a suspicious looking wall, directly in front of said tablet. Lacking any other presence of mind, you immediately start plopping your Gems into that notch.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0070.png

Nothing with White

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0071.png
The wall slowly rises to reveal the magical image of an old wizard.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0072.png
Remember: Five to Find, Three for the Staff, One to be The Key, and One to be Thy Pathway! Have wits about thee, warrior! Fare thee well!

Octopus Prime
12-24-2008, 02:48 PM
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0073.png

Blue works better. The magical talking wizard picture may have been more useful if he was a bit more specific about that Staff of Ages, or what those five things are supposed to be, but at least you have a general idea of what you need to stop the Warlock Lord now.

You take the Scroll 2 (which goes nicely with the Scroll 1 you got in the Pantry), and read it:

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0075.png
HUMANA!

You’ve Learned One Magic Spell!
As the spell was chanted, the Scroll 2 quickly vanished.


You learned two magic spells in as many rooms! Nice! The ability to magically dematerialize yourself is sure to be an incredibly useful bit of magic that will surely have more then one use throughout your quest to defeat the Warlock Lord.

You also read Scroll 1, since you’re in a readin’ kind of mood.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0076.png

You quiver with excitement! Have you found The Warlock Lords collection of “Comely, Amorous Lasses?”

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0077.png
The Silver Orb; to Banish Below, The Staff of Ages; To Banish a Foe, Joining Two; The Golden Blade. The last to invoke; The Platinum Horn

You can’t help but feel that the wizard you just saw was kind of redundant, since you found that scroll earlier, and it was more specific about what you’re looking for. No one in this dumb castle wants to help you! They’re all going to be so happy when you fail, you just know it!

You decide to head back and climb up that rope! This way at least they’ll know you conquered your fear of heights (and to a lesser extent, your fear of sentient rope).

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0078.png

You recall that the Elf Kings Funhouse only had three mirrors, spaced apart, and none of them distorted your appearance in any way. “We’re naturally perfect looking,” explained the Elf King, “Why mess with what works?”. When you asked what made it a fun house, and the King smacked you the head and called you a tubby, little racist. Then he and his countrymen declared war on your empire for your transgressions. They peace treaty was finally signed when you formally went up to the Elf King, in tears, explaining that you are, in many various ways, completely pathetic compared to the bastion of perfection that is an Elf. He then yanked down your pants and forced you to march shamefully back to your castle while ALL the Elves laughed at you. The Elves marked this as a national holiday. In their native tongue, it translates as "Mock the Little Fat Prince Day", and it is celebrated by beating a pinata effigy of you with sticks.

It was the worst Birthday you ever had.

In retaliation of these terrible memories, you immediately wind up and punch the mirror!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0079.png

That’s a bit of an understatement; you hurt your hand pretty bad. You’re probably going to need something bigger and heavier to break that glass.

You at least make it a point to steal the broom and torches before you go through the rear-exit of the room.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0080.png

Despite what you might assume based on the description, only some of the coffins can be opened.

Do You:
A) Open the Rear, Left Coffin
B) Open the Rear Right Coffin
C) Open the Front Left Coffin
D) Open the Front Right Coffin
E) Ignore the coffins! The dead don’t need to be desecrated!

Death Count: 6

VorpalEdge
12-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Go back to the wizard and make him save the damn world, if he's so smart.

Brickroad
12-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Hide in one of the coffins for a few hundred years. When the next intrepid adventurer comes waltzing through, jump out and cry "BOO!"

Stiv
12-24-2008, 06:53 PM
HIT MIRROR with STONE

Or: Option (C).

q 3
12-24-2008, 11:16 PM
What if there are vampires hiding in the coffins? Or mummies?! Maybe you should just light them all on fire with a TORCH.

Plus if the whole castle burns down then won't that make your mission a success by default anyway?

Coinspinner
12-25-2008, 02:55 PM
Let's taste what's in bottle number two.

Then option 'C'.

PapillonReel
12-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Kill yourself with the broom.

Master-J
12-25-2008, 10:13 PM
What if there are vampires hiding in the coffins? Or mummies?! Maybe you should just light them all on fire with a TORCH.

Plus if the whole castle burns down then won't that make your mission a success by default anyway?

I second that motion, sir, and concur with your logic.

Octopus Prime
12-26-2008, 05:32 AM
You decide to forego your usual reliance on the chattering voices in your head and open all the coffins, stealing and burning whatever you may find.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0085.png

The first coffin contains 1 (one) Mummy. Paying heed to the advice of one of the voices, you promptly set it aflame with your torch, hoping to take the whole damn castle out with it.

Unfortunately, The Warlock Lord made his castle out of rocks, which are not know to be quite so flammable.

At least you found a Scepter in the Mummies ashes.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0086.png

The Second coffin contains a bag full of copper coins. You briefly feel bad about resorting to grave robbing in order to make off with 3 cents worth of treasure, but it’s not like there would be any items you could pick up that weren’t absolutely vital to your quest, is there?

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0087.png
As you open the tomb, a Banshee flies out and emits an ear-shattering scream! You’re all right, but it’s very hard to hear.

Luckily, the deafness if only temporary, and you only listen to the voices in your head anyway.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0088.png
This Green Slime is quite disgusting.

Then you feel bad, for mocking another creature based on its appearance. The Green Slime can’t help the way it looks, it’s every bit as beautiful as all of Your Gods creatures (or, of The Warlock Lords Creatures, or whatever). You bend over to give the Green Slime a hug, a pat on the… pseudopodia(?) and a notion that everything will be all right.

Or maybe you’ll just punch it for looking all gross.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0089.png
…You die instantly. No pain, no nothing. You were slimed.

“Well,” you think as you rewind time “that’ll teach me to be tolerant of others”.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0090.png

The rear Exit of the Coffin Room has you exit the North Door of the 3 Paths Room. There’s only one road unopened now, and you go West.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0091.png

You Begin to Shiver. This room is REALLY Cold!

As is your custom, you make it a point to steal the Torches before you do anything else. A glance around the room shows a trap door, a regular door, a notch in the wall, and a dresser.

You decide to forgo any further investigation until you go down that trap door.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0092.png
As you walk down, you realize you took a big step. The fall is quite fatal.

Nuts, let’s see about that notch.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0095.png
A Small Crystal Sphere appears on the stand!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0096.png

It’s willing to Sacrifice your love!

You take that Cold (Cold, Cold) As (As, As) ICE Crystal and pocket it in the most heavily insulated part of your backpack and move ahead into the next room.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0097.png

WOAH! Jackpot! The floor is LOUSY with treasure (and skeletal remains)! There’s even a chest, doubtlessly containing even more treasure (and skeletal remains)!

There’s also a pair of sinister eyes far off in the distance.

Do You:

A) TREASURE, TREASURE, TREASURE, TREASURE!
B) TREASURE, TREASURE, TREASURE, TREASURE!
C) Go see who owns those eyes. Maybe he’s friendly?
D) SKELETON, SKELETON, SKELETON, SKELETON?

Death Count: 8, Plus a ruptured Eardrum

TK Flash
12-26-2008, 08:02 AM
I bet every single thing in this room kills you.

Get to it.

Kirin
12-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Pick up a skeleton bone, chuck it at the glowing eyes. What could go wrong?

DANoWAR
12-26-2008, 01:35 PM
Take everything in every order imaginable, die a lot, swear, then repeat until you find out that you're supposed to leave everything on the ground.


A suggestion: As we never really see the death screen of Shadowgate, how about a quick screenshot of it, crop it down to only the grim reaper's face and edit your posts so that after each death the number of grim reaper faces increases. *g*

EDIT: Or would that cap the screenshot limit?

Octopus Prime
12-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Take everything in every order imaginable, die a lot, swear, then repeat until you find out that you're supposed to leave everything on the ground.


A suggestion: As we never really see the death screen of Shadowgate, how about a quick screenshot of it, crop it down to only the grim reaper's face and edit your posts so that after each death the number of grim reaper faces increases. *g*

EDIT: Or would that cap the screenshot limit?

I like that idea, but we'd be looking at several posts per update of nothing but grinning Reapers.

PapillonReel
12-26-2008, 05:37 PM
I bet every single thing in this room kills you.

Get to it.

This.

Kill yourself.

Nobuyuki
12-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Well, deer like to walk into headlights, and those eyes look pretty similar, so I say go for it.

Lucas
12-26-2008, 05:43 PM
I like that idea, but we'd be looking at several posts per update of nothing but grinning Reapers.

What if you looked at some website or other to find out just how many deaths there are, then made a grid where a little reaper could be put for every death incurred? I'm thinking of basically a really morbid stamp card here.

Octopus Prime
12-26-2008, 05:47 PM
What if you looked at some website or other to find out just how many deaths there are, then made a grid where a little reaper could be put for every death incurred? I'm thinking of basically a really morbid stamp card here.

Now THAT is an endeaver worth looking into.

Master-J
12-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Well, deer like to walk into headlights, and those eyes look pretty similar, so I say go for it.

Make sure you light yourself on fire before you start walking. That should keep the thing(s) from eating you.

Octopus Prime
12-27-2008, 01:45 PM
As per the agreement of the cacophony that is your psyche, you decide to meet and greet the owner of those eyes. Surely any creature who lives in a dark, fiery room who can only be seen by their sinister, glowing eyes is friendly.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0100.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0101.png

Dragon flame engulfs your body. You pay with your curiosity with your life

The Dragon plainly doesn’t want to talk to you. You rewind time and decide to ignore him. Maybe you can assemble the skeletal remains into a new bony friend!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0102.png

Shit, that didn’t work either.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0103.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0104.png

This time you decide to look at the awesome armor and weapons strewn about the room. And in a rare moment of clarity, you make it a point to take the Shield first, preventing your death by incineration.

Good for you.

Afforded a brief respite from being instantly slaughtered by the Dragon, you take this chance to try to pry open that chest.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0105.png

Nerts, it seems that the lock was welded shut by the numerous times the Dragon spewed flame over it. Oh well, at least there’s some more nice stuff in here you can take.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0107.png
It’s getting hot, you don’t know how much longer you can stand it.

You laugh at the dragon’s repeated attempts to kill you, you’re safe form his attempted regicide so long as you have the Shield. You take the Spear, Hammer, Torch and the Helmet.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0108.png
Not even your best friend could recognize your burning body

You probably should have left the Helmet behind. It probably wouldn’t have fit anyway.

Taking all the weapons you could reasonably carry from the Dragons Den, you retreat and run straight through the next three rooms, back into the Lake Room. Your momentum carries you nearly to the edge of the Shark Infested pool, where you trip. Your Crystal Sphere falls out of your pack and lands in the middle of the lake.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0109.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0110.png

The Sphere manages to instantly freeze the lake completely solid, killing that stupid shark, and giving you an easy path across to the Key in the Skeletons hand.

You really want to take your Crystal Sphere back as well, but it’s frozen along with the lake. Clearly there’s only one proper course of action:

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0111.png

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0111.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0115.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0117.png
Not surprisingly, the lake quickly refreezes.

In a process that takes hours, but appears to be instantaneous due to the magic of Time-Lapse Photography, you use your torch to dethaw the lake allowing you to take the Sphere back. Somehow. Don’t think too hard on the logic of that. The important thing is that you got Crystal Sphere back without breaking the laws of thermodynamics.

You head back into the Mirror Room, since the Hammer you took from the Dragon looks to be heavy enough to break the mirrors, and finally get a sense of closure for your childhood trauma.


http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0119.png


You WANT to break all three mirrors, but, since this is Castle Shadowgate, chances are that two of them will kill you immediately. Or all three of them will. Or none of them will if you use some arbitrary item.

Regardless, you wind up your Hammerin’ Arm, and with a mighty scream, you:

A) Shatter the Left Mirror
B) Break the Middle Mirror
C) Smash the Right Mirror
D) Drop the hammer on your foot

Death Count: 11

Oh like I don’t know what everyone isn’t going to pick.

PapillonReel
12-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Drop the hammer on your foot.

Then break all of the mirrors with the broom.

Then kill yourself.

Brickroad
12-27-2008, 02:08 PM
The only reason I can think of to not break all three mirrors is if one of them is concealing a portal out into deep space and you will be sucked through and die a horrifying death in an endless vacuum of nothingness.

But that's just ridiculous. Break all three mirrors.

Loki
12-27-2008, 02:27 PM
If I remember correctly it's the left mirror that leads to the cold emptiness of space...


Break the left mirror.

Powerleveler
12-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Oh! put on the ghost's robe and use the broom to give yourself FAB hair and use the Staff of +1 Burnt Mummy as a mic and prance around in front of the mirrors singing Ziggy Stardust and Believe.

Nobuyuki
12-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Forget the FOOT, use HAMMER on FACE. Women love that rugged look.

After that, use HAMMER on MIDDLE MIRROR. You can't use it on the right because of that hole in the ground, and years of gaming has taught me that left is evil, so you don't really have a choice.

Netbrian
12-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Use shield on self. :)

Sanagi
12-27-2008, 03:39 PM
I like that the dragon room isn't recognizable as a puzzle until after you get killed, and as soon as you know what the puzzle is the solution is obvious.

Octopus Prime
12-27-2008, 04:07 PM
I like that the dragon room isn't recognizable as a puzzle until after you get killed, and as soon as you know what the puzzle is the solution is obvious.

It always scared the hell out of me as a kid because I never knew when the Shield was going to melt.

VorpalEdge
12-27-2008, 04:23 PM
I'm glad that you adventurers were smart enough to only put the torch near the crystal globe when it was in the frozen lake, and not actually touch it. The last time I played through the game, I did that by accident, and the lights went out immediately. From there, I tripped and fell in the lake, breaking the ice and causing the globe to fall out of my backpack, freezing the water. Again. With me in it.

Ok, that last part didn't happen, but it should have.

liquidben
12-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Use shield on self. :)

I need to see this, sir. Please, have mercy.

Octopus Prime
12-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Dang, you've been looking at these mirrors for a while.

A sudden thought grips you and you drop your Hammer on your foot. As you trip, you manage to somehow cave your chest in with it.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0120-1.png

Anyway, your thought was that there was about a 100% chance that the Warlock Lord would have laid some sort of death trap behind any of those doors, so you had best be prepared. You Use the Shield on yourself as a precaution.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0122-1.png

Of course, you consider this to be a silly, if not impossible prospect. Oh well, so much for cautious thinking. You immediately start bashing Mirrors.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0123-1.png
Blood flows from your wounds and your body slumps to the floor.

“All right”, you think, as time resets itself, “Proper glass safety. That was a surprisingly logical concern”. You also ignore these thoughts as you ready your hammer for the next Mirror, ignoring any more danger from flying glass.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0124-1.png
The lack of air causes you to quickly lose consciousness. The Grim Reaper quickly embraces you!

“That was somewhat more unexpected”, you mutter, as you pull yourself from the Reaper, explaining that you like him, but not in that way.

Via process of elimination, you’ve worked out what the least fatal door in the room is, and one again ready your hammer.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0125-1.png
You shatter the mirror, revealing an iron door!

You make a private note that bellowing like a Norse God was the key to not being killed in a completely ridiculous way, and put the Key 3 into the lock.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0127-1.png
The heat is unbearable, and you have to turn back

It’s kind of puzzling that you immediately wonder if that room was like Gehenna, when there are other, much more easily understood comparisons you could have made. Anyway, you decide to cool yourself down before re-entering Gehenna.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0128-1.png

The most logical way to do this is to wrap yourself in the Wraiths Cloak. Well, the more logical way would have been to use the Crystal Sphere on yourself, but you can’t wrap your head around how to do that. So the Ghosts bathrobe will have to suffice.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0130-1.png

The Bathrobe is at least cold enough that you can walk in the room without dying, or thinking about a flaming trash heap that metaphorically represents the Jewish Underworld. There’s nothing else worth noticing about the room, so you open the other door and walk out.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0133-1.png
The Firedrake screams triumphantly and gives you an eternal sunburn

Oh… a Firedrake. Didn’t see that one coming.

You decide to throw that Crystal Sphere at him, using the same logic that all fantasy heroes use that Ice is tremendously effective against a creature made of living flame, instead of being useless since it would melt.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0136-1.png
The Hell-Spawned flames quickly vanish as soon as the Sphere touches them. With nothing to feed itself on, the Fire Drake immediately follows suit.

Without the Firedrake around to give you an Eternal Sunburn (which is either a euphemism for "burned to death" or a skin irritation which never goes away, ending your adeventure for no clearly explained reason), you can pass into the next room.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0139-1.png

Another seemingly harmless room, you barely pay it any mind as you cross the bridge.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0140-1.png
It’ll cost you a Gold Coin to cross!

You quickly pat your pockets trying to find a Gold Coin, but your only currency are the Copper Coins you stole from a Mummy, and chances are that the Troll might know the difference between a coin worth a small fortune, and a coin worth so little you wouldn’t stoop to pick it up.

Do You:
A.) Talk to the Troll, explaining that greed is a terrible vice. Give him some informative pamphlets on the subject.
B.) Give the Troll the Copper Coins, hoping he can’t tell the difference.
C.) Ignore the Troll. Anyone who just wants you for your money isn’t your real friend.
D.) Kill the Troll. Kill him and you can take the Gold for yourself!

Brer
12-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Pamphleteering will eventually solve all the world's problems, including this one. Go for it.

Loki
12-30-2008, 10:51 AM
I have never in my life encountered or even heard of a pamphlet on greed.

Brer
12-30-2008, 10:53 AM
I have never in my life encountered or even heard of a pamphlet on greed.

Really? Never seen the ones going for donations to churches using the old camel->needle's eye > Rich man->Heaven line?

Loki
12-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Nope!

Octopus Prime
12-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Nope!

No appropriate Chick Tracts?

Loki
12-30-2008, 11:10 AM
I've never encountered a Chick Track in real life. This must be why I'm an atheist.

Sanagi
12-30-2008, 11:28 AM
Near-pointless trivia: If you walk into the fire room, get pushed back, and then kill yourself in the mirror room, the game will put you in the fire room without the cloak. This isn't particularly useful, but hey, sequence break!

I was stuck on the troll bridge for a loooooooong time.

Brickroad
12-30-2008, 11:32 AM
I was stuck on the troll bridge for a loooooooong time.

My brother and I called the Nintendo Hint Line!

I think you should cast EPOR on the troll, causing his intestines to rise up through his throat, out his mouth and into the sky.

Nobuyuki
12-30-2008, 11:58 AM
That troll's a pussy, what's he gonna do? Just walk past him and let him wait for someone more gullible.

Octopus Prime
12-30-2008, 12:06 PM
I was stuck on the troll bridge for a loooooooong time.

Me too, and when I finally got past it, I couldn't work out what to do next.

When i finally returned to the game, Gamefaqs had been invented.

Zef
12-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Bellowing like some Norse God, tip the troll over. His severe leg deficiency should make it difficult to get back up while you sneak past.

liquidben
12-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Punch 'em, Lil Mac!

Son of Sinistar
12-30-2008, 04:59 PM
This is a problem that can be solved with the liberal application of fire. Burn the troll with a torch!

PapillonReel
12-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Go back into the mirror room and jump into the hole. Who knows what's inside of it?

Afterwards, kill yourself.

Sanagi
12-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Me too, and when I finally got past it, I couldn't work out what to do next.

When i finally returned to the game, Gamefaqs had been invented.
Really? I remember it being relatively smooth sailing from that point on.

VorpalEdge
12-30-2008, 06:13 PM
There's one puzzle in particular in this game, near the very end, whose solution relies on you using something very obscure to get past what looks like a dead-end trap that happens to be situated near the beginning of the game, and as such, by the time you can solve it you've learned to ignore its existence. Spoilers: Drinking bottle 2 to cross the chasm right before the Wraith, and then Wand-ing the snake to get the Scepter.. I've always thought it was the most unfair thing in the game.

The puzzles in the latter half of the game do tend to go more quickly just because you have a firmer grasp on the game mechanics, though.

Sanagi
12-30-2008, 06:18 PM
There's one puzzle in particular in this game, near the very end, whose solution relies on you using something very obscure to get past what looks like a dead-end trap that happens to be situated near the beginning of the game, and as such, by the time you can solve it you've learned to ignore its existence. Spoilers: Drinking bottle 2 to cross the chasm right before the Wraith, and then Wand-ing the snake to get the Scepter.. I've always thought it was the most unfair thing in the game.

The puzzles in the latter half of the game do tend to go more quickly just because you have a firmer grasp on the game mechanics, though.
I stumbled on the solution to that puzzle earlier, before I could accomplish anything by doing it, when I was wandering around trying to figure out how to get past the troll. I can certainly see how you could get stuck on it, though.

Netbrian
12-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Go back in the Gehenna room, and use the torch on the oil. Maybe that will scare the troll.

q 3
12-31-2008, 01:52 PM
That's no troll, that's George Lucas! Maybe he'll accept some delicious shark meat as payment?

Octopus Prime
01-01-2009, 07:36 AM
The Troll is spiritually confused, you decide, and you try to talk to him, to have him forget his miserly ways.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0141.png

You can’t tell if you managed to get through to him. It’s entirely possible that the Troll can’t read to understand the delicate storylines present in a Chick Tract. This is the first time you’ve been let down by the Church of Latter Day Druids.

You fall back onto Plan B, ignoring the legless Troll. It’s not like he can chase you, what with his lack of legs.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0142.png
The Troll picks up the Bridge causing you to fall into the Chasm!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0143.png

You make a mental note that that last part would have been one of the parts of your quest that probably would have scared the hell out of you when you were nine.

You’ve tried Diplomacy, and you’ve tried ignoring your enemy. The only course of action left is to destroy the Troll.

As you recall from the tips that appeared during the loading screens from Baldurs Gate, Trolls can be destroyed only by fire. And you should periodically stop adventuring to have a meal.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0144.png

But Your Gods decided to make it so that your Torch can’t be used on the Troll. Stupid Your Gods! In your rage against the Heavens, you pick up the Spear you got from the Dragon and heave that at the legless monstrosity.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0146.png

“Well, that solves that problem”, you say to nobody in particular, confident that there is no chance that the floating monster could have survived the fall into a hole.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0147.png

Just past the Troll Bridge you enter Castle Shadowgate’s Courtyard. While your gaze is first drawn to the wishing well (doubtlessly containing either something to kill you, or treasure. Probably treasure that would kill you), it inevitably drifts to the Cyclops just milling about.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0148.png

The Cyclops doesn’t pay you any mind, so you go back to the Well, and promptly start reeling in the bucket.

Instead of a supply of fresh water, the Bucket contains a Gauntlet. You shrug, and take the Glove, expecting there to be at least some point where hand protection would he helpful.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0151.png

As it would happen, the Cyclops is blocking your path to the next room, and it can’t understand the human tongue to try to outsmart the creature, forcing you to resort to violence.

PUNCHING Violence!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0152.png

Clearly you need a better Battle Cry to destroy the Cyclops. You pick up your Hammer and try bellowing like some Norse God again, and again the Cyclops smashes your head flat before you can inform him that you “Say Thee Nay!”

Melee weapons are no use against a large creature with no depth perception, so you opt for a ranged weapon, hoping to finish him off while he’s outside of counter-attack range, since being armed with a Ranged Weapon means that you’re defenseless if he gets too close to you.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0154.png
You cry out “Death to the Philistine!!”, and release the stone. Bull’s-eye!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0157.png

You quickly slink past the Cyclops, cautious to not walk on top of him.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0158.png

The next room is another one of Shadowgate’s few seemingly harmless room. And it has another Torch! You enter the first room on the left.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0159.png

You find yourself in The Warlock Lords library. A pretty small one, considering what you’d expect a castle owend by an evil wizard. You revert to your baser instincts and immediately pilfer everything in the room that isn’t nailed down. In this case, that being the incomplete map of Tarkus on the wall, and the skull on the shelf.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0161.png

You open the Drawer and find several more scrolls, a key and some reading glasses. You make a mental note to make fun of the Warlock Lord for his astigmatism. “Oh look at me! I’m a living conduit for the Darkest of Forces, but I need bits of glass to read the paper!” you mime.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0162.png

You also decide to read the Warlock Lords mail, just because.
‘’Terra Terrakk’’
You’ve learned one Magic Spell!

As the words were chanted, the Scroll quickly vanishes

Octopus Prime
01-01-2009, 07:38 AM
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0165.png

‘’Instantum Illumina’’
You’ve learned one Magic Spell!

As the words were chanted, the Scroll quickly vanishes

You decide to also read the book on the Table, since it’s drawn in a slightly conspicuous way, meaning it’s important somehow.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0166.png

Not that it helps since the book is written with a bunch of crazy squiggles. The Warlock Lord has terrible handwriting. You decide to try on the Warlock Lords glasses, to better complete your impression of him, which you can then take on tour at all of the Comedy Clubs that dot the land.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0168.png

Of course, you have pretty good vision anyway, so this is hardly news.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0169.png
The Light grows faint, The Path winds round. Where Life is Lost, Wisdom is Found. The Seed of the Dream, fore the Evil is free, where the Sword is hung, he must place The Key. A Bridge to From, amidst Burning Death. A demon to guard”
‘’Motari Riseth’’
You’ve learned one Magic Spell!

As the spell was chanted, the Book quickly vanishes.

You roll your eyes, “Oh yes, that clears up what the book was talking about. Thank you, Magic Reading Glasses”.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0171.png
”The Circle of Twelve was formed before most things that began to be. Their names are… Framas, Garolia, Talotin, Ronlin, Talimar, Magnus, Wontave, Butwik, Tenmakk, Sharnia, Lakmir and Turgor. The Circle was broken when Talimar took a new name: The Warlock Lord!”

A quick glance at one of the books (which is pretty much the size of a pamphlet) gives you a fairly vague bit of The Warlock Lords history. Personally, you think that The Warlock Lord sounds a bit cooler then Talimar, but not by any great extent. Maybe the reason he turned evil is because he was embarrassed of his name?

You also go into hysterics when you read the name “Butwik”.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0175.png

Fitting the Red Gem, that you had almost forgotten you had picked up, into the notch in the wall causes a cliché to appear.

You are now faced with branching path, do you:
A) A secret passage? Behind a book case? How creative!
B) Head back into the previous room and go in the other side door
C) Head back into the previous room and go through the central door
D) Laugh at Butwiks name, again.


Death Count: 17

Loki
01-01-2009, 09:05 AM
Head back into the previous room and burn the rug.

Sanagi
01-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Oddly, you can't get a rock back after you've slung it, so running out of rocks is one of the few ways to get stuck.

The troll is the worst part of the game because following the hints gets you nowhere and trying any other weapon just gets you killed.

Netbrian
01-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Next time we see the troll, throw another rock at it.

And then stab it over and over again.

Octopus Prime
01-02-2009, 05:27 AM
The troll is the worst part of the game because following the hints gets you nowhere and trying any other weapon just gets you killed.

Lord knows I was stuck there for the longest while, but the Wyvern is pretty bad too (and has possibly the single most senseless puzzle in the game). As is the Werewolf, if you didn't bother to look at the Arrow you picked up near the beginning of the game.

liquidben
01-02-2009, 02:38 PM
No, no, no. The pattern for the three switches was the worst puzzle in the game. It required you to realize that something wasn't a crappy 8-bit brick texture.

Nobuyuki
01-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Don't go in the hidden passage, that's obviously what he wants you to do! You've gotta out think him, so I say you should go back to the hallway and set yourself on fire again.

PapillonReel
01-02-2009, 04:53 PM
>Laugh at Butwik's name again.

>Kill yourself.

Son of Sinistar
01-03-2009, 12:23 AM
The knowledge contained in those books shouldn't be shared with just any adventurer who happens by, it needs to be hoarded. Burn the book case, and then go onward through the secret passage.

Octopus Prime
01-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Since none of the rabbling voices in your head gave you any clear indication of what to do next, you flip a coin and head into the Secret Passage. It was a three sided coin.

It disappeared from your inventory as soon as you flipped it too, so don’t bother looking for it.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0176.png

You whistle, impressed as you walk into the next room. It’s a bit odd that The Warlock Lords rec-room was hidden behind a secret passage in his library, but then, that does seem to fit with Shadowgates general architecture.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0177.png

You feel a bit of a chill and decide to light a fire in the fireplace. You make it a point to close the flue when you leave, hopefully killing the Warlock Lord with carbon monoxide poisoning, saving you form ever having to confront him.

You also take the cup, bellows and poker, all resting against the fireplace, just because you’re a mild kleptomaniac. You also want to bash open that globe, but it resists you. You also can’t seem to muster the will to fling yourself into that fireplace. Maybe you’re finally developing a sense of self preservation?

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0178.png

You head back into the other side room from the earlier hall.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0179.png

That sounds pretty tasty, but you’re going to open that kennel first. Any dog being held by the Warlock Lord would probably enjoy being released.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0180.png
It looks like the Doctor put something strange in the dogs water. Before you can do anything else, the mutation quickly you apart.

You kind of question how a small dog, mutant or no, could possible tear apart a heavily armored knight. You also kind of wonder if the dog was mutated in anyway besides being kind of angry, and having a small horn.

You decide to take a swig of that poison instead.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0181.png
You notice blue hairs starting to grow on the palms of your hands. The viscous liquid seems to contain body-altering ingredients.


http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0182.png

Well, being covered in blue fur doesn’t seem that bad, in retrospect. It never held Kurt Wagner back, now did it? You are about to take another swig, hoping to get a proboscis, or eyes that shoot poison blood or something, but decide against it. With your kind of luck, you’d probably end up looking like Grover.

You do, however, make it a point to steal every pharmaceutical in the kennel, hoping for at least a contact buzz of mutant hound tranquilizer.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0183.png

Some of them taste pretty awful, but none of them turn you into an unspeakable abomination. Which is too bad. You decide to leave the kennel through the rear exit.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0184.png

Outside the Kennel is a small enclosed garden with a fountain. And the fountain contains a flute! No magical fantasy kingdom would be complete without a musical instrument that has super-natural powers, you reason, so that must be a very important item, lying there, unguarded, in the middle of a fountain.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0185.png
The water is extremely acidic and, obviously, not good for drinking.

Phht, like you’re going to let a little thing like a warning against drinking highly potent acid seriously. Besides, you’re still parched, despite having just drank mutant dog juice.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0186.png
You can’t even scream since you no longer have a throat, let alone a larynx!

In retrospect, you probably should have put some antacids in the fountain first. You decide to be a big baby and put on your Gauntlet to fish out the flute. You wimp.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0187.png
By using the Silver Gauntlet, you remove the Flute easily. The sound of the water splashing is music to your ears

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0189.png

You decide to play a little ditty for the mutant dog, because you like dogs, even the genetically perverse breeds. Nothing happens, but you feel slightly better about yourself.

Nothing else to do, so you head into the room at the end of the hall.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0191.png

“My Gods,” you exclaim, “how many rooms filled with a whole bunch of doors are there in this stupid castle?”

You take the Crest and Mirror, mounted on the walls, and turn towards the doors. And you:

A) Go into the left door
B) Go into the center door
C) Go into the right door

Death Count: 19

Brer
01-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Let's see what's behind door number 1. A. Number A? Whatever.

Netbrian
01-04-2009, 12:54 PM
I want you to set fire to every cloth in the room. And then go into the door in the upper left.

Brickroad
01-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Use HAMMER on GLOBE.

Sanagi
01-04-2009, 01:45 PM
I want you to set fire to every cloth in the room. And then go into the door in the upper left.
This was the point in the game when I realized you could set certain things on fire... And that you could tell during the transitional animation between rooms if anything visible was able to be destroyed or removed.

Zef
01-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Wait, you just drank an apothecary's worth of mysterious substances and foul-looking liquids, and all you got was blue fur on your hands? Are you sure you're not fireproof (or have extra toes) now?

Netbrian
01-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Use HAMMER on GLOBE.

Shadowgate actually caused me to ask my parents for a globe for Christmas when I was little. This is really true.

Octopus Prime
01-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Honestly, we're past the part where I have a perfect recollection of how to progress, so while I did remember that something had to be done to open the globe, I forgot what.

Netbrian
01-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Honestly, we're past the part where I have a perfect recollection of how to progress, so while I did remember that something had to be done to open the globe, I forgot what.

Don't worry. Exactly one half of my posts will include how to progress in the game. The other half will include new and entertaining ways for me to watch you die.

Nobuyuki
01-04-2009, 05:25 PM
I'm disappointed you didn't try to kill yourself with this alleged three-sided coin. I'm sure that would be at the very least a major choking hazard.

Octopus Prime
01-04-2009, 05:34 PM
I'm disappointed you didn't try to kill yourself with this alleged three-sided die. I'm sure that would be at the very least a major choking hazard.

As you flip the coin, a trick gust of wind from the wings of a nearby imp causes it to smack you in the forehead!! The impact is enough to cause your head to cave in. The reaper sighs, shaking his head in aggitation as he carries you away.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0012.png

Sanagi
01-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Honestly, we're past the part where I have a perfect recollection of how to progress, so while I did remember that something had to be done to open the globe, I forgot what.
Oh, it's nothing earth-shattering, anyway.

Brickroad
01-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Oh, it's nothing earth-shattering, anyway.

Any more puns like that, and you're in for a world of hurt.

Sanagi
01-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Any more puns like that, and you're in for a world of hurt.
I can probably think of another one if I planet right.

Brickroad
01-04-2009, 08:42 PM
I can probably think of another one if I planet right.

Yeah well don't soil yourself trying to come up with something.

Sanagi
01-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Yeah well don't soil yourself trying to come up with something.
Oh, you're terrable.

Brickroad
01-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Oh, you're terrable.

And you're a real wisegaia.

Sanagi
01-04-2009, 09:21 PM
And you're a real wisegaia.
That's it for me. I've ground to a halt.

McDohl
01-04-2009, 10:11 PM
That's it for me. I've ground to a halt.

These puns are downright dirty.

Brickroad
01-04-2009, 10:19 PM
These puns are downright dirty.

I'll say. Their perpetrators belong in the orbituaries.

Octopus Prime
01-05-2009, 05:19 AM
I'll say. Their perpetrators belong in the orbituaries.

That doesn't fit so well. You keep trying, till you get it right.

Brickroad
01-05-2009, 07:56 AM
That doesn't fit so well. You keep trying, till you get it right.

Ouch. That cut right to the core. Maybe it's time I pass the mantle on to someone else.

McDohl
01-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Ouch. That cut right to the core. Maybe it's time I pass the mantle on to someone else.

Nah. This is your home turf. I say keep going.

liquidben
01-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Realzing more bad puns were imminent, your own major intestine, in a desperate attempt to save humanity, leapt straight up through your neck and throttled your brain.

The reaper seems rather flattered to see you again. You mumble something about not wanting to mix work and... something. You're not altogether sure the message got across, but you'd really hate to hurt the anthropomorphization's feelings by being more direct.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0012.png

Octopus Prime
01-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Realzing more bad puns were imminent, your own major intestine, in a desperate attempt to save humanity, leapt straight up through your neck and throttled your brain.

The reaper seems rather flattered to see you again. You mumble something about not wanting to mix work and... something. You're not altogether sure the message got across, but you'd really hate to hurt the anthropomorphization's feelings by being more direct.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0012.png

Is that a combination Adams/Pratchett reference? In MY LP? Without my having made one first?

Mr. Ben? You warm my cold heart!

liquidben
01-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Is that a combination Adams/Pratchett reference? In MY LP? Without my having made one first?

Mr. Ben? You warm my cold heart!

The thread poster seems rather flattered to see you again. You mumble something about not wanting to mix message boards and... something. You're not altogether sure the message got across, but you'd really hate to hurt the thread poster's feelings by being more direct.
Sorry! Couldn't resist!

Octopus Prime
01-05-2009, 06:41 PM
While yelling for the voices in your head to SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP!, you stumble, and hit your head. The blow jogs your memory and you head back to the Rec-Room to bust up that globe with your hammer. And by Hammer, I mean “Magical Earth Breaking Spell”

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0192.png
A large crack appears around the equator of the globe.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0194.png
The Globe contains another key, and a bottle labeled ‘5’. Both of which find their way into your coat. You head back into the kennel.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0204.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0205.png


One of the rocks on the floor looked slightly off, you hardly noticed it before, since you were slightly distracted by your rapidly developing paws, and the mutant puppy. Pulling out the stone reveals a secret flask of Holy Water, which you snatch up, since it can be very helpful against large monsters that slowly crawl along the ground. You then head back into the Fountain Room and blow your flute, because Your Gods filled your head with the idea that that would be a good idea.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0206.png

It seems like you wake from a dream only to find a hole in the tree! Is it real? The Flutes magic is like magic!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0207.png

The hole totally did exist, and it contained a ring. You take the ring, then head back to the chamber and try the left door. It’s locked, but Key 6 fits into that hole, and you’re on your way!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0197.png

You see a small, unguarded horn in the middle of the floor, and reach over to pick it up. Expecting full well to be instantly torn apart by some creature or another.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0198.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0200.png
When you open them, you notice that the fire has changed into something far more menacing.

You’re pleased about how well you are starting to understand this stupid castle. You reach for the horn, oblivious to the giant fiery dog.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0208.png

That worked exactly as well as you would stealing something from a Hellhound to.

You decide to kill the Hellhound, since you often end up resorting to violence, due to your inattentive parents during your developmental years.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0209.png
The flames die out. The room is quiet, as if nothing had happened.

Now, unperturbed, you snap up the Horn and head up the ladder.

Octopus Prime
01-05-2009, 06:42 PM
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0212.png

You’re about to make a joke about there at least not being any monsters made of poo, but stop, since there’s nobody around to appreciate your wit, and The Blue Dragon doesn’t look like it played that game anyway. You take the jewel-
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0213.png
You die, screaming silently.

You’d think that a big dragon like that would do something a bit more dramatic then just strangling you with its tail. Also, you thought that wyverns weren’t supposed to have arms.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0214.png

You’re reasonably sure that you have nothing in your pockets right now that can save you from the Wyvern, so you return to the previous room and light the carpet on fire. There is a very narrow thread of logic behind this, but it would take too long to explain.

The carpet contains Key 4, which unlocks the center door. And Key 5 opens the right door. You head to the right.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0217.png

Well, there’s a big ol’ Sphinx in the middle of the room. Like most cats, it appears to be quite lazy and you should be able to sneak past it easily.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0218.png
To pass, you must answer a riddle!
Oh now honestly… who didn’t see THAT coming?

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0219.png

You need to show whatever it is she cryptically mentioned. Luckily, you DID already pick that item up. With an unnecessary flourish, you reach into your pack and pull out…

A) The Shield
B) One of those potions you carry around
C) A mirror
D) A knuckle sandwich! By punching! The Face!

Death Count: 21
Injury Count:
Bruised Rump
Half-Deaf
Severely burned hand
Partial Mutation

McDohl
01-05-2009, 06:45 PM
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0192.png
A large crack appears around the equator of the globe.

I'm sure no cracks will be made about a line like this.

whoops! shit!

Brer
01-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Well, let's think this thing through. When someone looks back at me when I look at them, and they raise the opposite fist I raised...yep, knuckle sandwich. Got to be.

Ruik
01-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Well, let's think this thing through. When someone looks back at me when I look at them, and they raise the opposite fist I raised...yep, CROSS COUNTER. Got to be.

Rai
01-05-2009, 08:03 PM
The correct answer is always punching. Always. Especially when you have no arms to punch with.

Failing that, I'm sure chucking a potion at it will calm it down enough to let us pass.

Stiv
01-05-2009, 09:52 PM
> use TORCH on SPHYNX.

Loki
01-06-2009, 05:54 AM
The answer to the sphinx's riddle is, and always has been, a man.

Brickroad
01-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Punch him. With the HAMMER.

liquidben
01-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Let's kick it Dig-Dug style! Use Bellows on Sphinx!

q 3
01-06-2009, 09:22 AM
Okay guys, seriously, someone has to give the correct answer. Show the Sphinx the mirror. So it can look at its reflection and be all like, "Whoa I am having such a bad hair day today, I am so sorry about that. Please excuse me while I go and freshen up," then leave so we can continue burning things without interruption.

Brickroad
01-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Also the markings on the staircase totally aren't a clue so don't bother making a note of them.

Use HAMMER on MARKINGs.

Actually just go ahead and make "Use HAMMER on ___x___" your default action.

liquidben
01-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Actually just go ahead and make "Use HAMMER on (_x_)" your default action.

Man, did I ever misread this.

Brickroad
01-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Man, did I ever misread this.

Well OctoPrime can try that too if he wants.

dwolfe
01-06-2009, 01:27 PM
You need to use your Psi Blast and blow up the Sphinx's head....

wait, the poor, neglected Lone Wolf thread is over there...

*slinks out of room*

*runs back in*

I don't care how good with a riddle you are, someone who can explode heads beat someone who can't explode heads every time. (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=357097&postcount=583)

Octopus Prime
01-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Also the markings on the staircase totally aren't a clue so don't bother making a note of them.

Use HAMMER on MARKINGs.

Actually just go ahead and make "Use HAMMER on ___x___" your default action.

I always thought those were just weirdly drawn bricks, honestly.

Brickroad
01-06-2009, 02:09 PM
I always thought those were just weirdly drawn bricks, honestly.

Yeah, whatever. Get to HAMMERing.

liquidben
01-06-2009, 02:53 PM
...worst puzzle in the game. It required you to realize that something wasn't a crappy 8-bit brick texture.

Again, worst puzzle in the game.

Sanagi
01-06-2009, 04:36 PM
The Sphinx room clues are staring-you-in-the-face obvious compared to the tiny handle for the holy water dispenser.

The troll is still the worst.

liquidben
01-06-2009, 04:43 PM
The Sphinx room clues are staring-you-in-the-face obvious compared to the tiny handle for the holy water dispenser.
Gah, what was the command you had to open the holy water dispenser? If I recall correctly, neither PULL nor OPEN worked. Also HIT, the default for "opening" stones didn't work. You had to use USE, which never before was applied to a non-inventory item.

Master-J
01-07-2009, 05:51 PM
I take option "D," but would like to substitute "hrseshoe" and "throwing" for "punching" and "knuckle sandwich."

Octopus Prime
01-08-2009, 11:35 AM
“Kitty, after I’m done with you, You’ll need to lick your wounds AND your bottom!” you cry, brandishing your Hammer, and making a private note that that sounded a lot better before you said it out loud.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0220.png

Apparently, the Sphinx doesn’t take kindly to being poorly threatened with a hammer. Rather then walk all the way back to the Sphinx room, you decide to rewind time. This time opting to charm the Sphinx, rather then killing it.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0221.png

“Who’s a pretty kitty?” you ask, rhetorically, brandishing the mirror, “”Who’s a little puss-puss?”

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0222.png

How observant of you.

You pilfer the Scroll and the model comet from the room. You just never know when you’re going to need a replica of a comet. You also read the Scroll, since that’s just what you do.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0223.png
Legend says it is a portal to another land.

You question whether or not that ties into the Warlock Lords plan to destroy the world with The Behemoth, but then ignore such a thought, since it was likely just a little bit of flavor text. You ascend the ladder.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0224.png
Yes, in the moonlight, she is even more beautiful.

You stand captivated for a really, really long time staring at the beautiful woman tied to the wall of an evil wizards tower, briefly reminiscing about the various romance novels you’ve read in your youth, and consider the various benefits to being the hero who saves her. Many of these thoughts are quite graphic, and use the word “heaving” a lot. You stand there so long with a semi-dazed expression on your face that the mysterious woman clears her throat to get your attention again. Well, you think she cleared her throat, honestly, it sounded more like a growl. You walk over to help her.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0225.png
The Wolfs powerful jaws rip your throat out!

In retrospect, you should have paid a bit more attention to the skeletal remains on the floor before you did that. You opt to ignore the voices in your head clamoring for punching, and instead try to shoot the Silver Arrow at the werewolf.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0226.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0227.png

You quietly tuck your crossbow away and never see or mention it again to anyone. You take the bone (which, it turns out, is a Blade?) and head back down to the 3-doored chamber. Heading through the Center Door this time.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0229.png

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0231.png

The path leads to a room with two exits, and you head right.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0232.png

You were always taught to kneel before royalty until they tell you to rise. After several minutes on the floor you recall that every King you’ve ever met has been a bit of a dick and you don’t care about offending him, or his court. Besides, he’s a skeleton (you now realize), so it’s not like he’ll complain too vocally.

A few seconds later you realize that you’re in Castle Shadowgate, and if a skeleton is going to raise complaints anywhere, it would be here. You quickly attempt to make amends by giving the Skeleton the scepter you got from torching the mummy.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0233.png
You can now see a ring shaped hole

You shrug and decide to put the Ring-Shaped Ring into the Ring-Shaped Hole. You’re good with shapes like that.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0234.png

Well fancy that. Rather then creeping down a staircase hidden beneath the remains of a long-dead king, you decide to retreat, and give that Wyvern a good talking to.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0235.png

The time has come to vanquish the beast, and take that gem-thingy he’s guarding that rightly belongs to you! Or, it will rightly belong to you after you kill the dragon and take it. You attack by:

A) Swinging your Mighty Sword! Snicker-Snap!
B) Puffing your Mighty Bellows! Diggy-Dug!
C) Punching with your Mighty Fists! BAM-POW!
D) Cowardly throwing things at him while shrieking! Eek!

Death Count: 22
Injury Count:
Bruised Rump
Half-Deaf
Severely burned hand
Partial Mutation
Cut on Finger

PapillonReel
01-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Punch the wyvern! KABLAM!

Brickroad
01-08-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm not seeing a lot of HAMMERing going on in that list. Just to be safe you should probably leap from the tower.

Sanagi
01-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Bellows. I mean, obviously.

I poked around this game for a while after beating it, trying to figure out if that line about "a portal to another land" meant there was another area of the game to be unlocked. You know, if Zelda hadn't included a whole other world as a bonus, I bet we wouldn't have been so willing to believe that game designers in general would do twice the work just for the sake of an easter egg.

In retrospect, of course, it's just a very vague hint about the throne room...

liquidben
01-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Just to be safe, we should have punched the skeleton in the snout to establish superiority (http://www.google.com/search?q=punch+snout+superiority+site%3Amspaintadv entures.com&btnG=Search). Then set his rug on fire to rub it in

q 3
01-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Quick, tell SPRITE and GIRL to cast MANA MAGIC on your sword!

Red Hedgehog
01-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Gah, what was the command you had to open the holy water dispenser? If I recall correctly, neither PULL nor OPEN worked. Also HIT, the default for "opening" stones didn't work. You had to use USE, which never before was applied to a non-inventory item.

Every time I replay the game, that always gets me.

Master-J
01-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Swing your blade (being careful to avoid the claws that catch, and the jaws that bite), remove the wyvern's head, and with it go galumphing back to the secret passage.

blinkpen
01-09-2009, 04:30 AM
It's interesting how, when looked at in the context of a game world where the player's various discoveries through accidental death aren't necessarily canon, solving that werewolf puzzle involved kicking open the door and immediately shooting a distressed woman in the face.

Octopus Prime
01-09-2009, 04:32 AM
It's interesting how, when looked at in the context of a game world where the player's various discoveries through accidental death aren't necessarily canon, solving that werewolf puzzle involved kicking open the door and immediately shooting a distressed woman in the face.

Yeah, that puzzle always kind of struck me as being a bit... off.

There are at least vague hints though, like the fact that she can't SPEAK (which is honestly about the only time I thought SPEAK would do anything) and that there are what appear to be skeletal remains on the floor.
Granted, it wasn't a skeleton at all, but it sure as hell looked like a bone.

Loki
01-09-2009, 05:54 AM
I thought it was a bone with a sharpened edge? Perhaps? Maybe? Possibly?

Zef
01-09-2009, 12:51 PM
It's interesting how, when looked at in the context of a game world where the player's various discoveries through accidental death aren't necessarily canon, solving that werewolf puzzle involved kicking open the door and immediately shooting a distressed woman in the face.

At this point, my memories of my Shadowgate playthrough end (it's a sad thing!) and I'm perfectly willing to believe that the wyvern is the real distressed damsel.

Red Hedgehog
01-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Yeah, that puzzle always kind of struck me as being a bit... off.

There are at least vague hints though, like the fact that she can't SPEAK (which is honestly about the only time I thought SPEAK would do anything) and that there are what appear to be skeletal remains on the floor.
Granted, it wasn't a skeleton at all, but it sure as hell looked like a bone.

Wait - what are the skeletal remains?

The damsel puzzle is one of those great designs where you have to die to it first before knowing the right thing to do. Ah, Shadowgate.

liquidben
01-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Y'know, I recall a very immature me, sitting there and clicking carefully on the chained woman, and giggling at whatever commands I'd use on her crotch.

Octopus Prime
01-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Wait - what are the skeletal remains?

The damsel puzzle is one of those great designs where you have to die to it first before knowing the right thing to do. Ah, Shadowgate.

The Blade always looked like a bone to me. Albeit not a human one, but a bone nonetheless.

VorpalEdge
01-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Just to be safe you should probably leap from the tower.

Don't worry, that's on the checklist.

Sanagi
01-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Wait - what are the skeletal remains?

The damsel puzzle is one of those great designs where you have to die to it first before knowing the right thing to do. Ah, Shadowgate.
Yeah, but in this case I don't mind because it's a good scare and it only takes a few seconds to reload the game. I think it's one of the best moments in Shadowgate in spite of being a cheap death.

Red Hedgehog
01-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Yeah, but in this case I don't mind because it's a good scare and it only takes a few seconds to reload the game. I think it's one of the best moments in Shadowgate in spite of being a cheap death.

Right - In general I think Shadowgate endures because death is such a meaningless penalty and is, in fact, entertaining. I mean, sucked into deep space? Attacked by a werewolf? All pretty awesome. The worst puzzles are the ones that don't nudge you in the right direction (without Nintendo Power, there's no way I'd have gotten 'EPOR')

Octopus Prime
01-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Since the voices in your head were unable to democratically reach a general consensus, you shrug and decide to try every option in order and see what works. You raise your Sword and charge forth, chortling on this, your most fantabulous day!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0236.png

(incidentally, fantabulous is a recognized word, according to Microsoft Word 2003)

Of course, a Once-Through sword only works if you can get it in the one hit. So the sword works exactly as well as just trying to ignore the Wyvern did.

You remember the stories of a great hero who descended deep into the earth, and destroyed many dragons (and two-legged balls) by filling their lungs with so much air that they would rupture, and deduce that the same strategy would be applicable here as well. You grasp your Bellows and trying to inflate the dragon to death!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0237.png

You’re mildly relieved that the Wyvern didn’t kill you for trying that, but you’re no farther ahead.

Fed up, you decide to resort to fisticuffs against the great beast. Naturally, the 2-story dragon has a bit of a physical advantage over you in hand-to-hand combat, so you attempt to distract him first. After a moment, a small hunting-bird flies past. You point to it and call the Wyverns attention to it with a triumphant cry of “FALCON!”.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0238.png

Then you punch it.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0239.png

The Wyvern clearly doesn’t appreciate the use of an internet meme against it. It kills you EXTRA hard for even attempting it, and as soon as you rewind time, it kills you again, unprompted.

Out of ideas and QUITE intimidated by the beasts power, you shriek and start heaving every item in your backpack at it. The metal Blade and the scroll labeled 5 do nothing at all to the Wyvern, but the Star…

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0241.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0243.png

You stand perfectly still for a few moments while the ash from the exploded Wyvern settles around you. Wordlessly, with a more then slightly bewildered expression on your face, you slowly put you hands down, pick up the talisman and leave the rooftop.

You return to the observatory to see if you can get any more of those miniature super-novas. You search behind the star map, since that’s a logical place for stars to be tucked away.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0245.png

You don’t find any portable solar-flares behind the poster, but you DO find a small, pink, rod hidden, quite out of sight, from the eyes of company. You’re not about to comment on finding that, and steal it, mainly because of your obsessive compulsion with regard to stealing objects, not for any other reason.

You decide then to go back through the center room and enter the door on the Left, since it’s the only room you haven’t entered yet that doesn’t involve crawling underneath the mummified remains of a king.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0249.png

The door leads to a balcony with a notch in it for a lightning rod. You decide to stick the rod you just picked up into the hole, while humming soft jazz to yourself.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0250.png
You are startled to see a skeletal hand rise from a hole that has formed at your feet.


http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0251.png
As you take the Wand, the skeletal hand begins to descend. The hole then closes up, as if it had never been.

I… okay? You… you got a wand, I guess?

You go down the staircase, again bewildered, although less so then you had been from the exploding dragon.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0253.png

The Lookout has a sack and small chest. There might be something else interesting about the ledge, but your eyes are conditioned to look for treasure first and non-treasures only if everything has already been pilfered.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0255.png

The Sack contains a Large Coin, and several Gold Coins. Maybe now you can pay off that Troll? Assuming you hadn’t killed him for SURE when you threw him into the hole he lived in.

Your pockets full, you decide to go for the chest.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0256.png
You find yourself knee-deep in the moat. It seems the alligators really enjoy your company!

This WOULD have been a great lesson showing you’re the inherent failings of a life of greed, but snatching up everything that isn’t nailed down is usually the only way to progress through Castle Shadowgate, so the Aesop is more then slightly broken.

You have the feeling that the Wand you snatched form the Inexplicable Floor Hand is the key to getting your hands on the Staff of Ages that you need to stop the Warlock Lord. You also figure that the hole beneath the King isn’t the kind of place you should go down without the Staff. Not because you’ll be killed, but because you don’t want to backtrack from one end of the Castle to the other.

Back in the Bridge Room, you decide finally face your fear and cross the ridiculously dangerous bridge. You decide to down some pharmaceuticals from various unmarked bottles. Specifically, Bottle 2.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0260.png

You’re not sure if that means you’ve literally raised into the air, or if you just feel like you have. An attempt to cross the bridge proves that it isn’t a colorful metaphor.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0261.png

Just past the Bridge you face down a giant snake. You shriek with abject terror and remain paralyzed with fear, waiting for the voices in your head to give you instruction.

Do you:

A) PUNCH THAT SNAKE!
B) Scream, like a little girl. A little girl with pretty bows in her hair.
C) Do that thing like Charleston Heston did, but backwards?
D) Run out of the room and throw yourself off the bridge. Being dead is better then being scared of snakes.


Death Count: 25
Injury Count:
Bruised Rump
Half-Deaf
Severely burned hand
Partial Mutation
Cut on Finger

Son of Sinistar
01-13-2009, 03:30 AM
Violence is useless! We must scream and run away!

PapillonReel
01-13-2009, 05:25 AM
Kill yourself.

DeeMer
01-13-2009, 06:52 AM
I remember this having something to do with that acid fountain...

Yes, that's it! Go back splash around in that fountain a bit, then return. Snakes have no interest in skeletons, so you'll be able to pass safely.

Brickroad
01-13-2009, 08:16 AM
I don't know how much Bottle 2 you have left, but you should definitely poor all of it all over the snake, then run away screaming like a bitch across the rickety bridge.

Rai
01-13-2009, 08:28 AM
YES! Option C! Scream at humans about how they haven't screwed it up just yet! Backwards, of course.

Or you could just pet the snake. I'm kind of an expert on snakes, so I know that as soon as you pet their tounge, they totally become docile and relax. So go on, pet the snake.

dangerhelvetica
01-13-2009, 09:09 AM
EAT (USE?) snake in one gulp. I bet he'll appreciate the ironic reversal.

Zef
01-13-2009, 09:34 AM
TALK to that snake. Snakes are lonely and appreciate being spoken to. Once you've earned its trust, ask if its name is Kaa.

Brickroad
01-13-2009, 09:48 AM
Trussssssssssssst in me...

q 3
01-13-2009, 11:36 AM
EAT the APPLE. Don't worry, this game has already proven that there is no God.

Alternatively: BADGER, BADGER, BADGER, BADGER...

liquidben
01-13-2009, 03:45 PM
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0245.png

You don’t find any portable solar-flares behind the poster, but you DO find a small, pink, rod hidden, quite out of sight, from the eyes of company.

You stole the Warlock Lord's personal massager!

Pajaro Pete
01-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Oh my, is it gettin hot in here?

Meditative_Zebra
01-13-2009, 08:20 PM
You stole the Warlock Lord's personal massager!

Wow! That's awesome. I think I just scared everyone in the house by laughing so hard. Liquidben wins the thread!

Kirin
01-14-2009, 09:17 AM
TAKE the snake. You'll clearly need to use it Indiana Jones style to whip yourself over a bottomless pit on the next screen.

dangerhelvetica
01-14-2009, 11:31 AM
TAKE the snake. You'll clearly need to use it Indiana Jones style to whip yourself over a bottomless pit on the next screen.

Why did it have to be snakes...

dwolfe
01-14-2009, 01:14 PM
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0250.png

Didn't you miss a death here? I thought if you hung around/moved down without a lightning rod you'd get hit by the lightning flashing all about on the lower level...

I honestly can't recall though.

It SHOULD have been a death though.

Octopus Prime
01-14-2009, 04:15 PM
You immediately turn around and run out of the room, shrieking with terror beyond any comprehension, and end up plunging into the abyss. Again.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0264.png
With a loud cry, you take the big plunge. The Grim Reapers stands below, ready to catch you

This time you decide to examine the huge snake, trying to pry out a weakpoint.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0266.png

You laugh yourself silly at your little blunder. That crazy snake was just a statue. What a kook you are!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0267.png

However, you are a kook, wielding a hammer, who was just tricked into running off a cliff, and even kooks have their limits. You decide to dispense some frontier-styled justice to the statue, via a steel-drivin’ hammer to the FACE.

The snake, clearly, is made of firmer stuff then your hammer.

While the Snake Statue may be creepy as all hell, and resilient to even the most furious of hammer swings, odds are that it wouldn’t react favorably to a reenaction of a biblical epic!

You wave your wand at the snake, showing the Pharoah (in this case, the Warlock Lord) what it means to piss off the guy with a flaming bush on his side!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0268.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0269.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0270.png
It dematerializes and forms anew as a staff of tremendous beauty!

Oh… so the statue of a snake was the grippy-bit of The Staff of Ages? That… that’s pretty keen. The staff is still disassembled, however, so you won’t be defeating any Warlock Lords with this thing just yet. Still, it looks nice. You head back to The Throne Room, feeling more comfortable about running into the hole beneath the Skeleton King.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0271.png

On the way back through the castle, you’re OVERWHELMINGLY surprised to find out that the Troll survived its fall off the bridge. And now it’s got your Spear too! However, since The Trolls hands are full carrying the spear, there’s no way it could wreck the bridge, so you’re safe to leave.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0272.png
The spear pierces your chest and exits through your back!

Too late do you realize that he doesn’t really need to throw away the bridge to kill you now. Of course, you DO still have some gold coins, maybe you can bribe him away now?

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0273.png

Greedy little bastard. You pay him his extra shilling.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0274.png
The troll picks up the Bridge causing you to fall into the chasm! The Grim Reapers stands below, ready to catch you!

BASTARDRY! Well, you’re not going to truck with any of this foolishness, you open up your spell book and invoke your one charge of Humana.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0276.png
As soon as the magic is invoked, you lose sight of yourself. You’re as invisible as the wind!

“Suck on my thaumatalugical know-how, you legless baboon” you cry as you pass the Troll. That’ll teach him to try to earn a livelihood!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0277.png

The Cyclops is also less comatose then he was before, but another quick knock on the head takes care of him again. There’s nothing else that stops you from reaching the Throne Room. And then beneath the Throne Room.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0278.png

You find yourself in another one of the completely uninteresting rooms with nothing besides a branching pathway. You take the torches on the wall and head into the side door.

Octopus Prime
01-14-2009, 04:17 PM
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0279.png
Suddenly, the Granite Slab above you gives way and crushes you beneath it. It breaks every bone in your body.

Right, well… you decide to head down the main door instead.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0280.png

There doesn’t seem to be anything particularly dangerous in this room, just a pair of gargoyle statues. Yep, harmless statues. Not alive, not even remotely. Perfectly safe.

You decide to head into the room between the two statues.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0281.png
The Gargoyles, angered at your presense, spring from their frozen state and rip you to pieces! There’s not enough left of you to even feed the birds.

Oh come on, Castle Wyvern hasn’t even been lifted above the clouds! You decide to say “The heck with you” to the Gargoyle statues and head into the less-defended room.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0282.png
Swimming would not be wise.

Hah, you don’t know the meaning of the word Wise.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0284.png
You’re brave, Warrior, but STUPID! Your body explodes as it plunges into the lava.

That was fun. You towel yourself off and glance around the room.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0285.png

The door in the back of the Lava Room is too far to reach. So you head back to the Gargoyles, intent to kill them. Just because.

Do You:
A) Bash the statues with your mighty hammer
B) Reason with the statues, maybe they’re as afraid of you as you are of them?
C) Magic the HELL out of those jerks!

Death Count: 31
Injury Count:
Bruised Rump
Half-Deaf
Severely burned hand
Partial Mutation
Cut on Finger

liquidben
01-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, there shorty! You forgot to USE SWORD ON CYCLOPS after you knocked him down. (Preferably on a crotch pixel)

Indalecio
01-14-2009, 09:16 PM
B) Reason with the statues, maybe they’re as afraid of you as you are of them?

I mean, can't we all just get along?

Master-J
01-17-2009, 10:53 PM
Lull the beasts with a capella soft jazz.

PapillonReel
01-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Use those Magic Hands, mister!

Brickroad
01-17-2009, 11:24 PM
Use HAMMER on GARGOYLES.

Octopus Prime
01-18-2009, 04:05 PM
You crack your knuckles and prepare to give those statues a piece of your meta-physical mind.

You’ve already used Epor, Humana and Terrak, so that just leaves Illumina and Motari. The scroll for Motari mentioned being used to form a bridge over burning death, which doesn’t quite fit this situation, so you crack out Illumina, figuring that the light of the sun will cause the Gargoyles to turn back into statues.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0287.png
It takes you a few moments to regain your senses from the nova burst. It seems the Gargoyles were also affected and haven’t yet recovered from the spell.

Congratulations, you’ve defeated a pair of Gargoyles with the same skill and aplomb as a third-string X-Man.

Before you run through the door the Gargoyles were guarding, you suddenly remember (again) what the Motari Scroll said about being used to cross burning death, and assume it lets you pass that Lava Room through the other door. While both paths likely lead treasures, you assume that the flaming pit of death is the safer way to go, for now.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0289.png

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0290.png

You’re pleased with yourself and pass the vaguely Cthulhu-esque statue going into the next room.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0291.png

3-to-1 odds that this room actually is the jaw of a huge beast. The room contains a set of switches connected to a cylinder and a seemingly bottomless pit. Without a second thought you proceed to lean way over, down the pit.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0292.png
He decides to eat you for breakfast!

What a ugly monster. You wave goodbye to the Reaper as you rewind time and decide to NOT look into that pit this time.

Those switches, there’s something faintly familiar about them. Almost like the patterns in a sequence of bricks in an earlier room. You could swear that if you were to, say, pull the switches in the same sequence as the Bricks the puzzle would be solved.

You decide to pull the switches at random.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0293.png
The handles return to their original positions

Sadly, your adventure didn’t come to an end here.

You decide to do that brick-sequence thing, since playing with the levers constantly wouldn’t be a very entertaining use of 9 screen shots.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0294.png
You’re momentarily dazzled as the darkness is lit by a blinding flash! The Silver Orb is revealed! As soon as you remove the Orb, the Cylinder closes.

Hey, a Silver Orb. Didn’t that crappy poem about defeating the Warlock Lord mention something about a Silver Orb?

The Silver Orb; to Banish Below, The Staff of Ages; To Banish a Foe, Joining Two; The Golden Blade. The last to invoke; The Platinum Horn

Yes, apparently it did. More over, you also got the Staff of Ages, a Golden Blade (that looks more like a spiky bone) and a Platinum Horn. Yep, I’d say you’re about ready to vanquish yourself a Warlock Lord.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0295.png


You head back through the Gargoyle room and enter the previously guarded room.

You wonder just how many wells, lakes and fountains this Castle has. It seems preposterously high considering how there’s only one human occupant.

Such an obvious well obviously is there for a reason, so you open ‘er up and take a look inside.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0297.png
The well was deeper then you imagined. You have broken every bone in your body.

Right… so don’t leap into wells. Good safety tip. The door is locked, and you’re out of keys to try in it. Also, you’re out of conspicuous rocks to move, rugs to burn and books to read to reveal keys, so this door is STAYING locked. That leaves the well.

Well, it’s a conspicuous well, with no water, near the final chamber in a Wizards vast, terrible fortress. Chances are that you have to pay it to render some variety of service. As is customary when faced with wells. You fiddle in your pockets and draw forth your three different kinds of coin.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0298.png

You cavalierly toss in one of your Copper and Gold Coins, but see nothing happen, so you take out the mysterious Big Coin.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0299.png
Well, that seems pretty obvious, in retrospect.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0300.png
It reminds you of the small “Dust Devils” you see in the Autumn months.

You faintly remember one Birthday when Lakmir decided to turn those into literal devils made of dust. They weren’t especially dangerous on the whole, but they stilled ransacked the countryside, and caused all of the kingdoms people to blame you for the inconvenience. You tried to explain that it was Lakmir who made the little bastards, but they were hearing none of that, and spent the better part of the long weekend trying to pelt you with large stones. It was the third worst Birthday you’d ever had.

Anyhow, the huge updraft coming from the well now means you can now leap down the well without dying.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0302.png
You stand above a beach, looking down upon a river.

You begin to wonder how a beach managed to get placed deep under ground, but then get distracted by the shiny skull-gong. The warm, inviting skull-gong. You move toward the gong, but trip slightly, sending you into the river instead.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0303.png
Your cries for help are cut off as your lungs fill with water!

You’re a bit more cautious, this time, and you ring the gong, instead of lunging at it.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0306.png
The Ghostly Ferryman doesn’t look friendly. You hear a faint voice ask for a fare.

He looks less pleased with himself then he does when your adventures come to an end. Oh well. You’ve got an impassable river, and an Anthropomorphic Personification asking for a hand out. You try to remember the lessons that the minstrel Christopher DeBurgh taught you.

A) Pay the Ferryman
B) DON’T Pay the Ferryman (till he gets you to the other side)
C) Attack the ghastly shade!

Death Count: 34
Injury Count:
Bruised Rump
Half-Deaf
Severely burned hand
Partial Mutation
Cut on Finger

liquidben
01-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Congratulations, you’ve defeated a pair of Gargoyles with the same skill and aplomb as a third-string X-Man.

Oh snap! Jubilee? Dazzler? Gambit?

PapillonReel
01-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Pay him. I mean, he's doing you a favour, right?

Although, if it's a trick, you should kill him afterwards and take back the money for yourself.

Brickroad
01-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Use FERRYMAN on HAMMER.

liquidben
01-18-2009, 04:20 PM
Use FERRYMAN on (_x_)

Hell-ooooo sailor!

Mazian
01-18-2009, 04:29 PM
You'll need to equip DRACULA'S EYE before he'll take you to the right place. Unfortunately, you don't seem to have that relic, but maybe you can just swap out one of your own and fake him out by using BLADE on SELF.

If that doesn't work, you might need to advance to using BLADE on FERRYMAN.

Brickroad
01-18-2009, 04:30 PM
"With a great deal of clenching, you manage to work the ferryman up into your anus. Not surprisingly, this is horrifyingly painful and culminates in your demise.

It's a sad thing your adventures ended here..."

liquidben
01-18-2009, 05:23 PM
"With a great deal of clenching, you manage to work the ferryman up into your anus. Not surprisingly, this is horrifyingly painful and culminates in your demise.

It's a sad thing your adventures ended here..."

LMAO! *APPLAUDS*

q 3
01-18-2009, 07:51 PM
"With a great deal of clenching, you manage to work the ferryman up into your anus. Not surprisingly, this is horrifyingly painful and culminates in your demise.

It's a sad thing your adventures ended here..."

I'll take you to a good place. Heh! Heh! Heh!

Son of Sinistar
01-19-2009, 10:44 PM
A torch worked on the Wraith so long ago, why not here? Burn the ferryman!

Octopus Prime
01-20-2009, 05:56 AM
You stand briefly transfixed while entertaining various thoughts about The Ferryman that you would think to be a little to awkward to repeat to him. After a few moments you hear what could only be described as a spectral being clearing its non-existent throat, and another faint whisper asking for money.

You respond by lighting the ghost on fire.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0307.png
The Ferryman will not let you cross, he is still waiting for a fare

Well, that didn’t work. You ring the gong again, and the Ferryman re-materializes, looking somewhat more annoyed then previously. You toss him a couple of gold coins for his trouble and he whisks you away.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0308.png

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0309.png
A stone skull stands against the far wall, screaming silently. For some reason, you feel as though you are standing on sacred ground.

Actually it isn’t screaming at all, since the door in its mouth is closed.

There are three notches in the wall in the exact same shape as the Talisman you snatched from the exploded Wyvern, and your years of fitting blocks into similarly shaped holes has you prepared for what to do next. You’re relatively sure that another weird scroll you found had some insight on this matter as well, but you’re not one to heed what you’ve been told before.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0310.png
You have placed The Bladed Sun in the wrong hole. You did not heed the warnings and now the Warlock Lord’s defenses end your life!

You rewind time and put the Talisman in the crown-hole and are rewarded with the same display of pyrotechnical skull-play. Via process of elimination, you’ve determined that the Sword is the best place to put the Bladed Sun.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0311.png

Good for you. The skull-door still won’t open, though. Didn’t that other weird scroll mention something vaguely relevant about this?

The Silver Orb; to Banish Below, The Staff of Ages; To Banish a Foe, Joining Two; The Golden Blade. The last to invoke; The Platinum Horn

Well, why not? You pull out the Platinum Horn that you took from the Hellhound and give it a pitifully quiet toot, almost as though there was someone napping on a nearby couch, and you didn’t want to wake them.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0312.png
Suddenly, you hear the sound of grinding rock. The jaws of the skull begin to descend! Hot wind erupts from the mouth, giving the impression that the skull is alive!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0313.png

Cool, you head into the stone skull and enter the final chamber of the castle. Just in the nick of time to stop the Warlock Lord and save the world from his tyranny! Or, more accurately, save the world from not existing anymore. Which is much worse.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0314.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0317.png
Your stomach knots up as you stare at this new horror. The Beast is indeed incredible! You wonder for a moment how you can defeat a creature such as this!

Oh crap, too late. The Gate of Shadows has been opened and the world is about to die. You briefly entertain the thought of running the hell out of the castle to notify your next of kin, but then you realize that unless you stop the Behemoth, you’re not going to have any more next of kin to notify.

With uncharacteristic bravado, you fling yourself at the Behemoth, hoping to prevail with your fists where entire armies could not.

Octopus Prime
01-20-2009, 05:58 AM
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0318.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0319.png
Flame shoots from his staff and engulfs your body. You have failed!

Okay, that didn’t work. You shrug and figure that the Staff of Ages is the only thing that’s going to save the day this time. You pull out the Staff, Orb and Blade and set about assembling them.

Luckily, the Warlock Lord is too busy giving a pep-talk to his world-ending menace, and doesn’t see what you’re doing. This is good, since otherwise he’d probably magically destroy you again. You’ve got to do it in the right sequence, since otherwise the parts don’t fit.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0320.png
Then, the Golden Spike slides smoothly onto the staff and locks into place.

Okay, Blade on Staff, that worked, now for Orb on Staff.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0321.png

You’re holding on to the Staff of Ages, the most powerful magical device the world has ever seen. You describe the sensation as being like holding a lightning rod covered with frozen, red-hot bees. Then you correct yourself, because it feels like the exact opposite of that.

You lower your weapon and attempt to reason with the Warlock Lord, since, you know, you’ve got the deadliest weapon ever devised, and you’re PRETTY sure that makes you a bit more dangerous then he is right now.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0322.png

It’s not too polite to call him an “it”. Of course, maybe he can’t understand you due to the fact that what you’re carrying is making that sizzling, buzzing, crackling noise. Oh well, you tried diplomacy, now your have to try violence. You raise the Staff again and let it work its cosmic devastation on the frail wizard.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0323.png

Oh I see, that whole bit again. Well, lets try rewinding time and aiming a little to the left.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0325.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0326.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0327.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0328.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0330.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0331.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0332.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0333.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0334.png

Octopus Prime
01-20-2009, 06:00 AM
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0335.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0337.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0338.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0339.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0340.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0341.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0342.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0343.png

As you walk out the door, you stumble, again, and fall on your torch. You get up screaming, and trying to beat the flames out, and in your mad panic, you accidentally set the rest of the castle on fire. Within minutes it is nothing but a smoking pile of rubble. The Reaper looks at you for one final time, shakes his head, disappointingly, and implies that, no, you’re staying dead this time. It’s a sad thing your adventures have ended here.

Death Count: 38
Injury Count:
Bruised Rump
Half-Deaf
Severely burned hand
Partial Mutation
Cut on Finger


Congraturation! The Story is Happy End!

TheSL
01-20-2009, 07:13 AM
Whoo, congrats!

PapillonReel
01-20-2009, 07:30 AM
Oh that Reaper. Always a kidder, isn't he?

Anyway, congratulations on winning the day!

Loki
01-20-2009, 07:42 AM
Congradulations on yet another fantastic Let's Play, Octavio. It was as much fun to read as I'm sure it was to write.

liquidben
01-20-2009, 09:18 AM
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0341.png
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0343.png


The other adventures? Perhaps Uninvited and [I]Deja Vu[/B]were those of a Moorcock-ian Eternal Champion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Champion)? (Hey, I've been told Shadowgate 64 doesn't count!)

Anyway, gratz on the playthrough, Octo! Was fun, would buy again!

q 3
01-20-2009, 09:42 AM
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Shadowgate/Shadowgate0335.png

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/6996/burgerkingnq2.png

Sanagi
01-20-2009, 10:59 PM
Hit King.

Demand more women.

dangerhelvetica
01-21-2009, 09:12 AM
http://p-userpic.livejournal.com/61352987/355699

Pajaro Pete
01-22-2009, 12:58 AM
...what is going on with the king's guards' legs?

Bongo Bill
01-22-2009, 01:53 AM
They're clearly wearing stilts.

Indalecio
01-22-2009, 06:28 AM
They're clearly wearing stilts.

I just thought he liked hiring basketball players for guard duty.

liquidben
01-22-2009, 08:41 AM
They're albino Masai, obviously