PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast Cereal Bonanza

Pages : [1] 2

DemoWeasel
12-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Cereal is delicious. Well, cold cereal is, anyway; hot cereal is ok but it doesn't have the same FLAVOR SENSATION that most cold cereals do. No matter how old we get, these boxes of sugar are still as tasty as ever. Some of my favorites are Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Cookie Crisp (all you Cookie Crisp haters can go choke on a fork).

So, Talking Time, what cold or hot cereals are your favorites?

Daremo
12-21-2008, 05:55 PM
I must agree with the Cinnamon Toast Crunch, but also point out the greatness of Strawberry Yogurt Burst Cheerios. I kinda like Frosted Shredded Mini Wheat as well.

Dizzy
12-21-2008, 05:55 PM
I stopped eating cereal some time ago. Now I just eat oatmeal of all flavors when I can.

DemoWeasel
12-21-2008, 05:56 PM
I stopped eating cereal some time ago.

:'(

Ample Vigour
12-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Target has a blueberry-flaxseed granola that clouds my mind and haunts my dreams.

mopinks
12-21-2008, 06:03 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/ranchuu/Quaker-Honey-Graham-Ohs_48F230E2.jpg
but can your gums handle it?

PapillonReel
12-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Cap'n Crunch is delicious ambrosia. Typically I go through the box in under a day whenever we buy it. :o

DemoWeasel
12-21-2008, 06:06 PM
but can your gums handle it?

What other cereals besides Cap'n Crunch and Oh's! are specifically designed to rape people's mouths? I know there are others, but I don't remember what they are.

ringworm
12-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Fuck cereal.

Dizzy
12-21-2008, 06:13 PM
What other cereals besides Cap'n Crunch and Oh's! are specifically designed to rape people's mouths? I know there are others, but I don't remember what they are.

Rape?

They hurt your mouth, but I don't think Cap'n Crunch and Oh'S! cereal sexually take advantage of your mouth? Unless you hear...

"Oh yeah. SHUT UP BITCH! DON'T MOVE! OH yeah.."

In your mouth. In which case, seek a doctor.

DemoWeasel
12-21-2008, 06:15 PM
Rape?

They hurt your mouth, but I don't think Cap'n Crunch and Oh'S! cereal sexually take advantage of your mouth? Unless you hear...

"Oh yeah. SHUT UP BITCH! DON'T MOVE! OH yeah.."

In your mouth. In which case, seek a doctor.

Aw, we can't use figurative language anymore? What about Parish and his biscuit-punching?

Elfir
12-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Crispix, dry. I can't take much of the sweet stuff anymore.

Parish
12-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Aw, we can't use figurative language anymore? What about Parish and his biscuit-punching?

Welcome to...the Dizzy zone.

Dizzy
12-21-2008, 06:58 PM

Mmmm... more precise figurative language, I'd say. Instead rape, you could say, slaughter, or massacre, or blitzkrieg, something about destruction or immense pain, and not traumatizing, painful sexual overpowering of individuals.

Like oatmeal. It massages my mouth. Oozes down my throat like a slithering snake.

Nuthin' sexual about that... >.>

Ample Vigour
12-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Fuck cereal.

It must be hard to type when you are so clearly suffering from some sort of head wound.

ringworm
12-21-2008, 07:09 PM
It must be hard to type when you are so clearly suffering from some sort of head wound.
I don't really hate cereal, I just felt like pretending to be irrationally against something for no good reason.

Truth is I haven't really eaten breakfast in years. Usually I'll just have a granola bar or an apple or something.

Ample Vigour
12-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Truth is I haven't really eaten breakfast in years. Usually I'll just have a granola bar or an apple or something.

ringworm's bandaged up, guys! He's gonna be A-okay!

The worst thing about starting back to yoga on Monday is going to be giving up breakfast. I don't know how people survive without eating after they get up.

Coinspinner
12-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Raisin Nut Bran. Sometimes Cheerios or oatmeal.

Posaune
12-21-2008, 08:01 PM
I can't find any good Muesli or yogurt in the states, much less for a reasonable price.

Life is tough.

Ample Vigour
12-21-2008, 08:03 PM
I can't find any good Muesli

Can't you make that at home?

juanfrugalj
12-21-2008, 08:26 PM
I must agree with the Cinnamon Toast Crunch

Cap'n Crunch is delicious ambrosia.

Clearly, these gentlemen know their business.

ArugulaZ
12-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Fruity Pebbles for me, thanks. That stuff rocks! Some folks like Cocoa Pebbles more, but I prefer the delicious tangy flavor of Fruity Pebbles. Also, I need to get me some of those Oh!s... I remember enjoying them when I was a kid and wasn't even aware that they were still making them.

Anyone remember Team flakes? They weren't anything special (like Total with more rice), but each package had a roll of Life-Savers on the bottom of the box.

EDIT: Oh yeah, did anyone else get massive diahrrea from Golden Grahams? They were fairly tasty but went through your digestive system like greased lightning.

DemoWeasel
12-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Fruity Pebbles for me, thanks. That stuff rocks!

I love Fruity Pebbles, even it tends to get soggy way too quickly.

Shagohod
12-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Honey bunches is the ultimate cereal. Especially the cinnamon kind. The smores cereal too. And according to wikipedia, lucky charms is the most delicious cereal ever. They're wrong of course

mopinks
12-21-2008, 08:47 PM
any cereal with those horrible cereal "marshmallows" in it is the worst cereal.

they are an affront to common decency.

UnChocolate
12-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Trader Joe's has some pretty good cold cereals. The one I have currently is maple oat clusters or something.

Guy
12-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Cap'n Crunch, Frosted Shredded Wheat, and Frosted Flakes. I also like Cinnamon Toast Crunch, but I never eat it for breakfast. I just eat it dry in a coffee mug as a snack.

ArugulaZ
12-21-2008, 09:30 PM
A lot of cereals work well without milk. I remember Oh!s being a particularly good snack food, and Frosted Mini Wheats are great because they're so large... it's almost like holding miniature candy bars!

Sprite
12-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Cranberry Almond Crunch.

DemoWeasel
12-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Cranberry Almond Crunch.

You just reminded me of Raisin Bran Crunch :)

Posaune
12-21-2008, 11:25 PM
Can't you make that at home?

Maybe I'll give that a whirl.

Wolfgang
12-21-2008, 11:47 PM
MONSTER CEREALS. (http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Cereal-Trilogy/dp/B00152KJMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1229928325&sr=1-1)

I don't care which. Not only are they cereals about monsters, they all taste like candy and are pretty much great any time, with or w/o milk. Though if you want to be (hmph) healthy, Quaker Oatmeal Squares are pretty neat.

Balrog
12-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Cap'n Crunch, and the occasional Cracklin' Oat Bran.

Fun Fact: I like the non-marshmallow part of Lucky Charms.

PatientBeast
12-22-2008, 12:10 AM
I usually bounce around all over the place when it comes to cereal, but right now I've been eating a lot of Trader Joe's brand Honey Nut O's because it's a nice mix of healthy grains and good flavor. It's essentially just Honey Nut Cheerios but with a few differences.

However, when I need my fix, I like to sit down to a bowl of Lucky Charms or Fruity Pebbles. Those two are deliciousness in box. =)

Sheana
12-22-2008, 01:20 AM
I'm one of those crazy people who has a fondness for the marshmallow cereals. I love Lucky Charms and I miss Alphabits, which I haven't seen in a good few years.

One of my favorites in the whole wide world is Rice Krispy Treats cereal, which isn't widely available anymore. It's just limited quantities on sites like Amazon, which I'm not crazy or rich enough to splurge on. :(

What makes me sad? Cereals that are nowhere near as great as they used to be. Like Honeycombs. Honeycombs was one of the cereals of my childhood, but they recently changed it to make it healthier and it tasted like crap. All sorts of people complained, and despite them tweaking it to have an 'Improved Taste' even more recently, it still tastes like crap.

Torgo
12-22-2008, 01:38 AM
Odd, I have a box of Honey Comb in the house right now and it still tastes like the same thing it always has... unless "Honeycombs" is something different.*

At any rate... cereals, cereals... my stand by these days is Honey Bunches of Oats with almonds or cinnamon clusters. More often then not it's the cereal I keep around. I love it.

A friend of mine recently hooked me up with a couple huge boxes of Kix, which is completely awesome. Kix is a remarkable cereal, the sugar content is pretty low, and while I throw a little on top to compensate, it actually doesn't need all that much. I haven't had any since I was probably, like, twelve though, so it'll be interesting when I get around to cracking the box.

Oh's! have already been mentioned, and yes, they are pretty much the greatest thing ever except for killing your mouth dead.

Other then stuff already mentioned (Frosted Mini Wheats, Cocoa Pebbles), I gotta give a shout out to Froot Loops. While they should just drop the pretense and name them "Vaguely Different Tasting Sugar Hoops", I love them.

*This is not sarcasm. Safeway's generic of Wheat Thins is called, and I am not kidding, "Thin Wheat," so an off-brand of Honey Comb named "Honeycombs" is hardly a stretch to me.

DemoWeasel
12-22-2008, 01:49 AM
Stuff about Kix

Kix is one of those cereals that tastes better without milk.

Chu
12-22-2008, 04:22 AM
Sometimes I feel like I could live off of breakfast cereal. I can't pick a favorite! I like too many of them. Although, my tastes have gotten a bit more mature since I have to buy my own food when I'm at college. I tend not to get stuff like Trix anymore. Although I did eat an awful lot of Cocoa Puffs for the sake of nabbing of a Mach 5 cereal bowl (it's better for ice cream).

I have no regrets!

I wish I could try some of the monster cereals, though. I've only been able to try out Boo Berry when I was visiting some friends on the east coast, and even though it was kind of stale, it was still great.

ChefCthulhu
12-22-2008, 04:26 AM
I stumbled across a sell on Honey Combs... oh god is that stuff like crack.. 1 hour after I get home 2/3 of the box is empty.... man wish i had more here at work... instead I get Andy Camp's Cheddar Fries for my cereal.

mopinks
12-22-2008, 08:14 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/ranchuu/514ETJ8XNZL_SL500_AA280_PIbundle-4T.jpg
I bought a box of this stuff because it was on sale. this stuff is never on sale!

it's just as great as I remembered.

Knight
12-22-2008, 09:34 AM
I like Cap'n Crunch, but I really miss the Oops! All Berries version. That was deliciousness incarnate. Cocoa Puffs and Trix are pretty good too. I also tend to like the more bland cereals, like Kix, Corn Flakes and Cheerios. I don't put milk in the bowl though, milk to be consumed separately, and they're not to taint each other with soggyness or unwanted flavor.

My wife loves the marshmallow cereals, but she will just eat all the marshmallows and leave the cereal behind. I think we still have one of those big bags of a store brand version of Lucky Charms sitting in our pantry, with all the marshmallows eaten.

valhalladeath
12-22-2008, 10:02 AM
2 pages into this thread and no mention of Peanut Butter Crunch? I'll just take this as an oversight so that I do not have to pull out the can of Whoop-Ass.

Marfy
12-22-2008, 10:08 AM
One of my favorites in the whole wide world is Rice Krispy Treats cereal, which isn't widely available anymore. It's just limited quantities on sites like Amazon, which I'm not crazy or rich enough to splurge on. :(

What? Seriously? It's all over the place here. That's awful. Rice Krispy Treats cereal is something that no corner of the country should be without.

I don't eat a lot of cereal, but it's great when you're broke. I lived off store brand Special K Red Berries this semester.

Elfir
12-22-2008, 10:18 AM

That cereal was one of the many instances where my dad decided we like it so he may as well buy it in bulk. Shortly after we got completely sick of it and his kitchen cabinet was stuffed with four or so boxes of it for the next two years. (Or more!)

Ample Vigour
12-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Oops! All Berries

As a rule I avoid all foods that turn my shit leprechaun green.

Posaune
12-22-2008, 10:53 AM
As a rule I avoid all foods that turn my shit leprechaun green.

After reading this I briefly considered having the opposite rule, but then remembered I don't like Captain Crunch.

DemoWeasel
12-22-2008, 11:48 AM
We had a box of Organic Honey Bunches of Oats that was purchased by mistake. That cereal tasted like cardboard.

Paul le Fou
12-22-2008, 12:10 PM
I like 'em all!

Mostly.

I can't pick a favorite. They're all good. All the major ones anyway. Kashi can go fuck itself.

DeeMer
12-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Generic company Malt-O-Meal sells Coco Puffs mixed with Cap'n Crunch in the same bag. They also sell Coco Puffs with marshmallows.

Normal Lucky Charms is such a waste; marshmallows work best in conjunction with real cereal.

Nicholai
12-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Cap'n Crunch, and the occasional Cracklin' Oat Bran.

Fun Fact: I like the non-marshmallow part of Lucky Charms.

Cracklin' Oat Bran is the only answer. Since it is pricey I do get others quite often, but if I could I'd eat Cracklin' Oat Bran every day I'd do so.

Ghost from Spelunker
12-23-2008, 02:44 AM
Once your mouth has been raped by the Oh's, Cap'n Crunch is like soggy Fruity Pebbles.

I eat lots of cereal, many different types. At the store I always buy it sugary-healthy-sugary-healthy...

Daikaiju
12-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Cracklin' Oat Bran is the only answer. Since it is pricey I do get others quite often, but if I could I'd eat Cracklin' Oat Bran every day I'd do so.

A fine choice, but could your pipes take the rigorous cleansing that would follow? A bowl of COB is dense with fiber

Red Hedgehog
12-23-2008, 03:33 PM
I like the Paul Newman cereals. The blueberry one most, then the cranberry one.

Also:

any cereal with those horrible cereal "marshmallows" in it is the worst cereal.

they are an affront to common decency.

Dhroo
12-23-2008, 04:36 PM
I like Cap'n Crunch, but I really miss the Oops! All Berries version.

Those berries are an insult to the good name of the Cap'n. The only true way to eat the Crunch is Peanut Butter or original, as God intended.

I'm a little disappointed by the lack of Special K love in this thread. Especially the strawberry version! I can never decide whether it is better with or without milk.

DemoWeasel
02-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Dear person who thought of Just Bunches cereal,

I love you.

-Me

demonkoala
02-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Dear person who thought of Just Bunches cereal,

I love you.

-Me

Just bunches is pretty awesome.
I'm a huge fan of shredded wheat cereals like frosted mini wheats and such.
Honey or cinnamon flavored stuff is kinda great too, but I don't like overly sweet stuff.

Muesli is win.

And I'm sorry Shinji, but Cookie Crisp is disgusting.

DemoWeasel
02-09-2009, 05:16 PM
And I'm sorry Shinji, but Cookie Crisp is disgusting.

We can't be friends anymore.

liquidben
02-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Peanut Butter Crunch

Oooh, I haven't had that in forever, but it's so good. Gawd, I remember an early Giant Bombcast where they all went and got Peanut Butter Crunch milkshakes. My taste buds were so fucking jealous.

I also remember the semi-endless bins of cereal at college, and the joy of doing things like mixing different cereals together, or trying to scoop out mostly marshmallows from the Lucky Charms bin.

All in all, I like Honey Bunches of Oats, but due to the ridiculous calorie count, I've given it up.

Now each morning for breakfast, I have a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios upon which I sprinkle unsalted peanuts. A serving of yogurt with granola mixed in. Sometimes some of the granola gets put on the Cheerios too. Mmm. And a banana and a glass of OJ. Fuck y'all that skimp on breakfast. I will get up early enough to feed my face a large and delicious breakfast. I may not have enough intellect available to safely prepare eggs or something, but I sure can have some delicious cold breakfast.

Balrog
02-09-2009, 05:46 PM
I'm eating Apple Cinnamon Cheerios for lunch as part of my don't-eat-something-fried-at-every-meal diet. I love this stuff.

Sheana
02-09-2009, 06:08 PM
I'm eating Apple Cinnamon Cheerios for lunch as part of my don't-eat-something-fried-at-every-meal diet. I love this stuff.

Apple Cinnamon are the greatest of the Cheerio family.

mr_bungle700
02-09-2009, 06:15 PM
http://www.thegianthead.com/wtf.jpg

A Clockwork Orangeberry

Ethan
02-09-2009, 06:26 PM
I feel like my life has improved since I largely stopped eating breakfast cereal. A double-barreled blast of dairy and refined sugar sort of turned me into a slug, I found. As far as morning grains are concerned, oatmeal is where it's at – the good kind that takes 6 or 7 minutes. Eggs on toast is also an excellent breakfast.

But if I had to pick the essential cereal experience... I can't think of any other food in the world that can deliver the delicious, vaguely sulphurous essence of regular Cheerios with 2% milk. Lots of that good umami feeling.

Parish
02-09-2009, 06:31 PM
I've lost a lot of weight, in part due to eating cereal. It probably helps that I'm eating low-sugar stuff, though...usually muesli or puffed rice, with skim milk.

Wolfgang
02-09-2009, 07:04 PM
I've been really enjoying plain ol' raisin bran recently. Although today, I finished off the dregs of a box, and there were no raisins in it. And that was all I had to eat until about a half hour ago! Ta-da.

DemoWeasel
02-09-2009, 07:09 PM
I've been really enjoying plain ol' raisin bran recently. Although today, I finished off the dregs of a box, and there were no raisins in it. And that was all I had to eat until about a half hour ago! Ta-da.

Raisin Bran is surprisingly delicious.

Violentvixen
02-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Trader Joe's has some pretty good cold cereals. The one I have currently is maple oat clusters or something.

Their Vanilla Almond Crunch is fantastic!

Raisin Bran is surprisingly delicious.

This has been my lunch at work for probably three months straight now.

The Costco in Colorado had a Cranberry Macadamia Nut Crunch thing that was absolute ambrosia. Haven't been able to find any version quite as good.

Frosted Mini Wheats are also pretty good, as is just plain shredded wheat if you add honey and banana slices.

Captain McAwesome Pants
02-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Fruity Pebbles rule.

Cocoa Pebbles rule more.

That is all.

DemoWeasel
02-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Cocoa Pebbles rule.

Fruity Pebbles rule more.

There we go!

mr_bungle700
02-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Raisin Bran is unsurprisingly delicious.

Captain McAwesome Pants
02-09-2009, 08:17 PM
There we go!

Chocoloate > fruit.

There we go! Again!

DemoWeasel
02-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Chocoloate > fruit.

There we go! Again!

Your pants are losing that sheen of McAwesome |:<

Captain McAwesome Pants
02-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Your pants are losing that sheen of McAwesome |:<

My pants will never lose their awesomness as long as I eat the right cereal...

Can we at least agree on Boo-Berry? That was good shit...

DemoWeasel
02-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Can we at least agree on Boo-Berry? That was good shit...

Yes.

Daikaiju
02-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Is it me or has Honeycomb gotten, I dunno, less dense? I realize that I'm not a kid, but the pieces seem smaller and not as solid.

I love a nice bowl of Rice Chex or maybe two Shredded Wheat biscuits just soaking up milk like giant edible loofas.

Closest I ever came to Cap'n Crunch was Ralston's Donkey Kong cereal; loads of crunchy barrels.

Parish
02-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Chocoloate > fruit.

There we go! Again!

Normally, yes, but chocolate flavored cereal is universally gross. Fake chocolate and fake cheese are two things that should not be allowed to exist.

mrbuu82
02-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Multi-grain Cheerios are the greatest of the Cheerio family.

Fix-ed. I love cinnamon cereals (particularly Cinnamon Harvest), but Team Cheerios 2.0 is the best cereal. I usually switch up between Multi-grain and regular Cheerios, Crispix, Rice Krispies, Corn Flakes, and various forms of Special K. Rice Krispies and Corn Flakes need to be eaten with milk though.

The nice part about liking these cereals is that there are good generic versions everywhere. Thus, I can grab whichever is cheaper without sacrificing the taste.

mopinks
02-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Normally, yes, but chocolate flavored cereal is universally gross.

Chocolate Chex is the best of all Chex.

the best

excluding the truly fantastic Graham Chex, which doesn't exist anymore :'(

DemoWeasel
02-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Chocolate Chex is the best of all Chex.

the best

excluding the truly fantastic Graham Chex, which doesn't exist anymore :'(

I've heard a lot of people hate on Chocolate Chunk Life, but that is probably the best chocolate cereal ever because it uses real chocolate and oh my god I can't stop eating it.

nunix
02-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Post Raisin Bran in whole milk.

Alternatively: some kind of apple+cinnamon- OR maple-flavoured oatmeal (plain oatmeal with such things added is fine).

Wolfgang
02-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Aw hell, Cinnamon Life.

mr_bungle700
02-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Now you're talkin my language, son.

DemoWeasel
02-09-2009, 11:42 PM
http://mfrost.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2009/02/05/hearty_breakfast.jpg

nom.

Sheana
02-10-2009, 01:01 AM
Oh, pence came for a visit.

I recently had to give up Raisin Nut Bran because I concluded my mild allergy to almonds was making that cereal play hob with my digestion every time I ate it. This is one of the greatest tragedies in the history of everything.

Mightyblue
02-10-2009, 01:07 AM
Yeah, I can't do nuts either. My throat swells shut.

mugenkokoro
02-10-2009, 02:17 AM
Ok, I have a couple things to say about cereal:

1. I went to college in Northfield, Minnesota, where nearly all Malt-o-Meal products are produced. I would wake up with the smells of various cereals--one day Cinnamon Toasters, the next Coco Roos, the next Tootie Fruities. Though most people on campus found it lovely and charming, I absolutely hated it, and it ruined my taste for almost any cereal for 4 years. I also hated the fine white dust that seemed to coat everything particularly rapidly that no one else seemed to notice...I was convinced the high dust levels in Northfield are due to the Malt-o-Meal factories.

2. Having said that, I now buy and eat nothing but Malt-o-Meal cereal because it's so good and so cheap. I usually stick with good old Raisin Bran, but I fucking love Mini-Spooners as well (Mini-Wheats). I'm also trying out the Blueberry Muffin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHtWEH0euh4&feature=related) Tops (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1WY_BxSnD8), one of their only unique products...I'm shocked by how much it really does taste like a blueberry muffin. It's delicious, but it's so sweet it's really more like dessert and less like breakfast.

mopinks
02-10-2009, 02:37 AM
Blueberry Muffin Tops

the flavor of this stuff is really good, but it is so aggressively sweet it almost makes me want to throw up.

I just can't do offensively sugary cereal anymore!

Lakupo
02-10-2009, 02:46 AM
I've been eating a lot of fruit 'n' cream instant oatmeal lately, but this thread puts me in the mood for some Mini-Spooners. D:

Marfy
02-10-2009, 09:07 AM
I've been eating regular ol' Cheerios lately, and they are awful. Multi-grain Cheerios are delicious, though.

Queen Possum
02-10-2009, 11:03 AM
I've always been a fan of Banana Nut Crunch, but Fruity Pebbles and Peanut Butter Crunch will always have a special place in my heart.

pence
02-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Man, I show up in threads without even realizing it!

The best cereal is Frosted Mini Wheats, combined with a healthy amount of milk. Do not mess with the faux-maple or faux-vanilla flavors, though. That stuff is gross.

DemoWeasel
02-10-2009, 02:28 PM
The best cereal is Frosted Mini Wheats, combined with a healthy amount of milk. Do not mess with the faux-maple or faux-vanilla flavors, though. That stuff is gross.

I thought we were weasel buds. :(

pence
02-10-2009, 05:57 PM
I thought we were weasel buds. :(

Well, are you implying that Frosted Mini Wheats are secretly terrible, or that the vanilla/maple flavors are secretly awesome? I just don't trust cereal that turns milk brown.

DemoWeasel
02-10-2009, 05:58 PM
The vanilla flavor is really good.

Blueberry muffin flavor is even better.

Maigo
02-10-2009, 07:01 PM
* I recently noticed that "adult" cereals typically have ~50% more calories than the typical children's cereal. i.e., Frosted Flakes 110 Cal vs. Banana Nut Crunch 170 Cal. (Numbers pulled from memory, may be off.)

* Now that my second clone is of cereal eating age (1 1/2), we have now hit some sort of critical mass for cereals. We're going through 5 boxes of cereal per week (whereas before 1 box would last 2 weeks). The 4 of us are now cereal fiends.

* 1 "serving" is a miniscule 3/4 cup. The other day, I measured that an adult sized bowl can hold almost 3 cups of cereal. So I'll eat almost 8 official servings of cereal in one sitting. So I've derived the following:

8 x 110 cereal calories + X milk calories = having to choose between beer or cereal.

Ample Vigour
02-10-2009, 08:05 PM
8 x 110 cereal calories + X milk calories = having to choose between beer or cereal.

Cereal doesn't depress testosterone.

The-Bavis
02-11-2009, 09:18 AM
* 1 "serving" is a miniscule 3/4 cup. The other day, I measured that an adult sized bowl can hold almost 3 cups of cereal. So I'll eat almost 8 official servings of cereal in one sitting.

See, but a "serving" of something with a bunch of fiber, like Kashi GoLean Crunch will fill you up. A "serving" of Rice Krispies will confuse you, because you swore you just ate something but it sure doesn't feel like it anymore.

DemoWeasel
02-11-2009, 02:41 PM
See, but a "serving" of something with a bunch of fiber, like Kashi GoLean Crunch will fill you up.

LIAR. I have a box of this and it fills me up just as much as any other cereal does with one serving.

It doesn't fill me up much.

mopinks
02-11-2009, 03:52 PM
oh my gosh, you guys, Cinnamon Chex.

it is as if Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Corn Chex had a delicious baby.

The-Bavis
02-12-2009, 06:58 AM
LIAR. I have a box of this and it fills me up just as much as any other cereal does with one serving.

It doesn't fill me up much.

You sure you're not trying Puffed Kashi? That stuff is just hydrogen that you swallow with a spoon.

Kfroog
02-12-2009, 07:04 AM
No, he's talking about the thing you said. I know this, because i can corroborate his story.

Violentvixen
02-12-2009, 09:09 AM
A box of Lucky Charms somehow appeared in the community cereal shelf at work, which is usually full of granola and Special K and Bran Fiber stuff.

Everyone is freaking the hell out and it's hilarious.

Wolfgang
02-12-2009, 10:47 AM
A box of Lucky Charms somehow appeared in the community cereal shelf at work, which is usually full of granola and Special K and Bran Fiber stuff.

Everyone is freaking the hell out and it's hilarious.

Your coworkers:

*Don't like Coraline or Nightmare Before Xmas because they're too scary
*Freak out over Lucky Charms

Do you work at the Department of Crybabies or something?

Dizzy
02-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Because of recent dental surgeries I am now a cereal apostate. Go oatmeal!

Though I prefer the sugary, flavorful oatmeal and not the steel-cut hard man oatmeal. I know you can fix the dull taste of that kind of oatmeal with apple cinnamon or what have you, but I need something that can cook in 2-3 minutes and be consumed without a fight.

I can get my whole grains from toast in any case.

Fuck, I've already stated this:

I stopped eating cereal some time ago. Now I just eat oatmeal of all flavors when I can.

Wolfgang
02-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Though I prefer the sugary, flavorful oatmeal and not the steel-cut hard man oatmeal.

You know what's great, the oatmeal with the little eggs that melt to reveal candy dinosaur sprinkles.

Violentvixen
02-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Your coworkers:

*Don't like Coraline or Nightmare Before Xmas because they're too scary
*Freak out over Lucky Charms

Do you work at the Department of Crybabies or something?

Well, the people who were scared of the movie were a minority, and the one who screamed actually did end up going and liked it.

The sugary cereal is because I work with a number of people who are over 40.

Have you guys had Quaker's Banana Bread oatmeal? It is AWESOME.

mopinks
03-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Caramel Just Bunches.

ohhhhh man.

it's a little pricey, but you get what you pay for.

DemoWeasel
03-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Caramel Just Bunches.

!

PatientBeast
03-02-2009, 05:48 PM
!

BRING! *DUN DUN DUN*

Paul le Fou
03-03-2009, 08:58 AM
BRING! *DUN DUN DUN*

Just a box...

...of delicious Caramel Just Bunches, part of this complete breakfast!

Calorie Mate
03-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Man, I've been itching for a new cereal for awhile now, and the usual suspects just aren't doing it. I don't really know what's going on.

Side note: are Golden Crisp still around? My local grocery doesn't appear to be stokcing it anymore, even though they still have the inferior Smacks. :(

1 "serving" is a miniscule 3/4 cup.

This is the most frustrating thing on the planet when you're trying to count how many carbs you can eat.

Wolfgang
03-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Oh, shit, Target is now selling General Mills cereals in retro packaging! (http://www.thedieline.com/blog/2009/02/general-mills-retro-cereal-boxes.html) I need to pick a few of these up, at the very least Trix and Cocoa Puffs. And before you criticize me for caring about retro cereal box graphics, take a moment to think about how many retro NES/8-bit products you own.

Calorie Mate
03-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Oh, shit, Target is now selling General Mills cereals in retro packaging! (http://www.thedieline.com/blog/2009/02/general-mills-retro-cereal-boxes.html) I need to pick a few of these up, at the very least Trix and Cocoa Puffs. And before you criticize me for caring about retro cereal box graphics, take a moment to think about how many retro NES/8-bit products you own.

I LOVE THAT

j00ey
03-03-2009, 01:28 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51K0G75VC1L._SL160_AA160_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E5E08I/)

my new favorite.

cortbassist89
03-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Cookie Crisp is the best cereal ever and the only negative thing about it is that they changed the mascot from the cop/dog duo.

Wolfgang
03-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Cookie Crisp is the best cereal ever and the only negative thing about it is that they changed the mascot from the wizard. (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c7/Cookie_Jarvis_on_the_Cookie_Crisp_box.jpg)

cortbassist89
03-03-2009, 01:42 PM
OMG. Clearly I missed a wondrous time.

I now recant my previous statement and substitute Shawn's.

ArugulaZ
03-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Hell, if you want to go back far enough, the Trix rabbit used to be coupled with a magician. Then the magician accidentally made himself disappear and the rabbit was all that was left! This was from the late 1970s, if memory serves. It's at the very edge of my memory because I was only four or five at the time.

Wolfgang
03-03-2009, 01:51 PM
OMG. Clearly I missed a wondrous time.

I now recant my previous statement and substitute Shawn's.

You have no idea.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln982_hkuJs

Ghost from Spelunker
03-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Some day I'm going to take a box of cookies, break them up into little pieces, and eat them in a bowl with milk to see just how accurate Cookie Crisp is.

Wolfgang
03-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Some day I'm going to take a box of cookies, break them up into little pieces, and eat them in a bowl with milk to see just how accurate Cookie Crisp is.

It'll depend when you do this. If you're doing it in the afternoon or evening, chances are you'll be able to get away with it, as that'll constitute as a dessert or snack. Try it in the morning, or just after you wake up, and don't be surprised if there's an invisible barrier preventing you from actually putting it in your mouth.

mr_bungle700
03-03-2009, 05:00 PM

SPOILER: It's not.

Wolfgang
03-04-2009, 08:25 PM
THESE THINGS ARE SO GODDAMNED SLICK

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/IMG_0039.jpg

DemoWeasel
03-04-2009, 08:28 PM
THESE THINGS ARE SO GODDAMNED SLICK

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/IMG_0039.jpg

I wish that t-shirt ad wasn't on there, though =(

Wolfgang
03-04-2009, 08:30 PM
I know, I know. But the ads are for cool shirts (http://cerealwear.com/index.tbapp?affiliate_id=1c), if nothing else.

cortbassist89
03-05-2009, 01:25 PM
The past sure fucking had style.

I miss it.

DemoWeasel
03-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Whoa whoa whoa what the fuck; Raisin Bran has a shitload of sugar in it.

Ample Vigour
03-10-2009, 10:14 PM

that ain't cocaine those raisins are coated in

nunix
03-10-2009, 10:20 PM

Worse, actually, it's got some sugar but also HFCS. I like it, but once I noticed that I don't really eat it anymore.

DemoWeasel
03-10-2009, 10:21 PM
My mom thinks it's healthy cereal; I need to warn her! :(

nunix
03-10-2009, 10:29 PM
My mom thinks it's healthy cereal; I need to warn her! :(

Well, of the big-name, processed-foods box variety I'm sure it's comparatively healthy, but you're going to have to dig into hippie territory for decent cereal, and then probably add your own sugar or whatever.

DemoWeasel
03-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Well, of the big-name, processed-foods box variety I'm sure it's comparatively healthy, but you're going to have to dig into hippie territory for decent cereal, and then probably add your own sugar or whatever.

I'm just amazed that Cinnamon Toast Crunch has less sugar than Raisin Bran does.

Ample Vigour
03-10-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm just amazed that Cinnamon Toast Crunch has less sugar than Raisin Bran does.

oh shit

Gredlen
03-11-2009, 12:37 AM
There's a Cinnamon Toast Crunch with less sugar (and less taste). For some reason, all the cinnamon sinks to the bottom of the bowl or something. It's weird.

Torgo
03-11-2009, 01:56 AM
Lately I've been mixing Kix and Honey Bunches of Oats.

It's nothing mind-blowing, but it's surprisingly tasty.

DemoWeasel
04-21-2009, 10:12 AM
Today I encountered the dumbest "prize" in any box of kids' cereal ever: a coupon for a free haircut.

Dizzy
04-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Today I encountered the dumbest "prize" in any box of kids' cereal ever: a coupon for a free haircut.

But you need one. Your hair is too long, hippie... hipster.

My inability to chew recently due to some dental surgery has forced me to let my cereal soak in milk until it becomes soggy enough to swallow. Aaaugh...

Falselogic
04-21-2009, 10:29 AM
I buy one of those fruity hippy cereals that was mentioned, Gorilla Munch (http://www.naturespath.com/products/cold-cereals/gorilla-munch-cereal) by Nature's Path. it's like Kix but all organic and gluten free and delicious. Nature's Path also has a bunch of other cereals that are yoummy.

Taeryn
04-21-2009, 02:39 PM
The Cap'n lives in my pantry pretty regularly and I always feel silly getting it b/c I'm buying a cereal w/ a cartoon character on the box. Otherwise, I purchase Honey Bunches of Oats. Whenever I get HBoO, I always get excited when lots of bunches land in the bowl, b/c honestly, they are the best part. Then I found Just bunches... its like they knew how much joy I would have pouring a bowl of glee from that wonderful box.

I don't like soggy cereal, so milk stays separate and I usually avoid flaky cereals. I really like anything that has granola or nuts in it, especially almonds. Sometimes I'll buy almonds and chop them up and toast them and add them to some non almond cereal.

I would buy and eat a lot more cereal if they could invent a cereal that doesn't get stuck in your teeth, because I can't stand that... a good tooth scrubbing is required after cereal.

Wolfgang
04-21-2009, 02:42 PM
I have given up cereal and start my days with a glass of Instant Breakfast. It's... not the same. I'll probably thank myself in the long run, but I shore do miss them ghostmallows.

Alixsar
04-21-2009, 02:43 PM

Times are tough. Haircuts are expensive. You do the math.

That is pretty lame though...then again, when have cereal prizes not been lame?

Wolfgang
04-21-2009, 02:55 PM
That is pretty lame though...then again, when have cereal prizes not been lame?

Not for a while - but I distinctly remember a promotion that had PVC figures from DuckTales in boxes. I got Uncle Scrooge and Gizmoduck!

DemoWeasel
04-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Chex Quest

Sheana
04-21-2009, 04:31 PM
I think it's a sign from above regarding the emocut, Shinji.

I totally remember when pretty much all the cereal came with little Disney Afternoon character toys. My brother and I had a whole ton of those little figurines. Gummi Bears, Duck Tales, Talespin...

Savathun
04-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Millenios were the greatest cereal ever. For months after New Years, I kept an empty box of them on my dresser.

Just to remember.

I had witnessed something special. The world would not see its kind again.

DemoWeasel
04-21-2009, 04:45 PM
I think it's a sign from above regarding the emocut, Shinji.

I got a hair trim recently; barely noticeable though!

demonkoala
04-21-2009, 06:11 PM
But where can the haircut be redeemed???

I need a haircut, but I always cut it myself. That being said, I wouldn't mind a free one.

Paul le Fou
04-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Oatmeal is cereal! That's what I've been having lately. Put some cinnamon on there, today I even sprinkled it with a bit of nutmeg.

DemoWeasel
05-18-2009, 03:08 PM
I just had a thought: what are some cereals that taste better without milk than with milk? It seems a lot of the low-sugar cereals fit this category well (especially Crispix and Kix).

mr_bungle700
05-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Crispix is infinitely better with milk than without. You are insane!

But then again, I think all cereals are better with milk.

mrbuu82
05-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Cheerios (all forms), Golden Grahams, and Quaker Oat Squares all taste great without milk.

Crispix tastes great both ways. I really cannot decide which is better.

Queen Possum
05-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Back on the topic of dirty hippy cereal, I recently discovered Joe's O's from Trader Joe's, and they are pretty amazing, and cheaper than regular Cheerios.

Ghost from Spelunker
05-30-2009, 10:14 PM
When you feel like your favorite giant monster, grab yourself a bowl of Kashi's Mighty Bites-the only cereal shaped like humans!
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh314/naivetotodile/Mighty-Bites-cereal-front.gif

But if that isn't disturbing enough, on the back of the box they go on and on about how this cereal is good for your MIND. I bet it's secretly a mind control cereal like that Commander Cash episode of Robocop.
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh314/naivetotodile/Mighty-Bites-cereal-brains.gif

DemoWeasel
05-30-2009, 10:23 PM
I am going to buy the hell out of that cereal.

rockintomordor
05-30-2009, 10:38 PM
Golden Grahams

When I was much younger, my mother became addicted to this cereal, buying it so often that it eventually rendered our family incapable of enjoying them. I haven't had them in like seven years. I really should try them again.

Violentvixen
09-29-2009, 02:23 PM
I found MixMyGranola (http://www.mixmygranola.com/) last week and since I had a 15% off code (realsimple) I tried it. Guys, this is awesome. It's exactly what I wanted and tastes awesome. Goji berries are the best. I might try some different nuts or seeds next time, I wasn't familiar with a few of the varieties they had.

DemoWeasel
09-29-2009, 03:01 PM
I bought a box of Just Bunches cereal a couple of weeks ago.

It was everything I ever wanted it to be, as well!

The-Bavis
09-29-2009, 03:11 PM
I bought a box of Just Bunches cereal a couple of weeks ago.

It was everything I ever wanted it to be, as well!

I saw those on clearance the other day. I think you should stock up.

I wish I had deep frozen some Betty Crocker Apple Streusel cereal when I had the chance.

Ghost from Spelunker
10-20-2010, 08:17 PM
I just got a box of Berry Berry Kix this week at Target!

Did they stop making it, or did it just become hard to find between 1993-present?

Büge
10-20-2010, 08:53 PM
I found MixMyGranola (http://www.mixmygranola.com/) last week and since I had a 15% off code (realsimple) I tried it. Guys, this is awesome. It's exactly what I wanted and tastes awesome. Goji berries are the best. I might try some different nuts or seeds next time, I wasn't familiar with a few of the varieties they had.

Oooh, I bet my mom would like thi

1) Choose a healthy granola base
2) Add delicious ingredients
3) We mix your granola order
4) Get it shipped anywhere in the U.S.
5) Eat! Enjoy! Smile!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/buge/reaction/waaaaaaaaaa.jpg

Steve
10-23-2010, 03:38 PM
When I was much younger, my mother became addicted to this cereal, buying it so often that it eventually rendered our family incapable of enjoying them. I haven't had them in like seven years. I really should try them again.

An unreasonable fondness for Golden Grahams is one of two odd culinary quirks that I inherited from my mother (the other being an unreasonable fondness for Coca-Cola). I never got tired of them, because my family couldn't really afford to buy them consistently; name-brand cereals are hella expensive, especially when you have to buy them in quantities sufficient for four children, and I think it's the only cereal without a decent generic equivalent.

Probably the last input I'll have since I haven't actually eaten breakfast cereal in almost 5 years. I've proven several times that I'm incapable of consuming an entire box of any cereal by myself before it goes stale.

DemoWeasel
10-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Probably the last input I'll have since I haven't actually eaten breakfast cereal in almost 5 years. I've proven several times that I'm incapable of consuming an entire box of any cereal by myself before it goes stale.

Man, now I feel bad for going through 2 (sometimes 3) boxes a week.

Chu
10-24-2010, 08:02 PM
My friend from Australia mailed me some Milo cereal since I've never had any before (and I'm dying to have some breakfast cereal that isn't corn flakes or granola). They're like less sugary Cocoa Puffs in a strange wedge-like shape. That's not a bad thing!

ArugulaZ
03-09-2011, 06:27 PM
http://lifeinc.today.com/_news/2011/03/09/6228655-capn-crunch-sails-into-obscurity

What the hell?

This isn't a retirement, it's a mutiny! I demand that Cap'n Crunch be returned to duty!

Lady
03-09-2011, 07:56 PM
"PepsiCo is no longer marketing Cap'n Crunch cereal directly to children. In a sense, you could say that they have retired Cap'n Crunch,

Um? It's still there, or are you just offended that it won't be advertised anymore?

Chu
03-10-2011, 12:48 AM
If it means that they're still going to make the cereal without Cap'n Crunch and without trying to sell it to kids, it makes me wonder how they ARE going to market it.

Wolfgang
03-10-2011, 01:05 AM
If it means that they're still going to make the cereal without Cap'n Crunch and without trying to sell it to kids, it makes me wonder how they ARE going to market it.

It means they aren't going to run ads for it. The character isn't going anywhere. This is actually really old news.

ArugulaZ
03-10-2011, 01:10 AM
Um? It's still there, or are you just offended that it won't be advertised anymore?

If it's not advertised, it won't sell, and if it doesn't sell, THAT will kill the brand.

Also, what Chu said. They're treating Cap'n Crunch like Joe Camel, and it's a little insulting. I don't think sweetened breakfast cereal contributes that much to childhood obesity- not nearly to the degree of fast food or soft drinks- and this witch hunt by the food police is unnecessary. If kids don't have Cap'n Crunch, they'll just dump a ton of sugar into their oatmeal, because you know, kids like sugar.

It's just the way it's always been... humans have a natural affinity for things that are sweet, and to deny that fact, and worse, act like sugar is a drug, is condescending beyond belief. Maybe you should let the parents make the decisions for their kids, rather than forcing your way into the driver's seat.

StrawberryChrist
03-10-2011, 01:16 AM
every time I find a cereal that I like, it starts to taste like sawdust after I go through two boxes.
Or 1.5 boxes if it is some manner of cereal that is marketed as healthy.
Or half a bowl of granola.
Or a single frosted mini wheat.

Chu
03-10-2011, 01:46 AM
It means they aren't going to run ads for it. The character isn't going anywhere. This is actually really old news.

There goes my dreams of owning a box of Golden Mouth Threshers :(

DemoWeasel
03-10-2011, 02:19 AM
I bought this one box of no-brand Cap'n Crunch last year; the entire back of the box was all about The INTERNET and How It Works.

Elements
03-10-2011, 09:57 AM
You know how when you have a bowl of Frosted Mini Wheats, the slow impact of the milk is the best quality? The milk causes the frosting to soften up, while the wheat itself initially remains firm and crispy, so that you can savor the sweetness as its forced into the crevices of the wheat. But, after the milk was thoroughly invaded, and the wheat begins to become a bit soggy, the frosting somehow has yet to become thinner in consistency! Now, when you bite in, the wheat itself instantly compacts, while the frosting maintains a slight grit as its engulfed my the wheat pulp, the sweetness now becoming wholly intermixed! Such a delight. Too bad that if you wait much longer, the whole bowl turns to nasty mulch.

The monster cereals are also good.

Lady
03-10-2011, 12:38 PM
I think Captain Crunch is pervasive enough that it will continue to sell. And if it doesn't, well, it won't have been the first mascot to return to the depths of obscurity!

Beefy Hits
03-10-2011, 02:30 PM
I've eaten cereal almost every day since childhood.

It's cheap, it's easy, and most of the time, it's good enough. There's no way in hell I'm waking up 45 min. early to cook eggs or bacon.

Most of my cereal comes from Aldis lately, so my selection is limited.

Lady
03-10-2011, 08:12 PM
you only need about 5 for scrambled eggs

Daikaiju
03-13-2011, 05:27 AM
I was at Trader Joe's the other day and they had Wheatabix. I should have bought some. :(

Serephine
03-13-2011, 08:56 AM
I've eaten cereal almost every day since childhood.

It's cheap, it's easy, and most of the time, it's good enough. There's no way in hell I'm waking up 45 min. early to cook eggs or bacon.

Most of my cereal comes from Aldis lately, so my selection is limited.

you only need about 5 for scrambled eggs

Seriously...throw on two burners at a medium high heat, grab bacon and eggs out of fridge(not toast just yet) put bacon in one pan, butter in the other, scramble eggs, flip bacon, put eggs into buttered pan, grab bread or bagels out of pantry and put them into the toaster, flip bacon, add spices/cheese to your eggs, flip bacon, remove toast from toaster and butter/jelly it, flip/scramble/whatever to your eggs, remove bacon onto plate, finally remove eggs. This takes about 10 minutes total for an easy as hell warm breakfast instead of cold cereal.

Not to imply there's anything wrong with cereal but the same thing every morning sounds awful.

Kirin
03-13-2011, 12:17 PM
Eh, you get into a routine. I've probably eaten like 10,000 morning bowls of Raisin Bran in my lifetime. Though I switched from Kellogg's to a hippy brand with less sugar like 10 years ago.

Wolfgang
03-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Cocoa Puffs: still good.

Paul le Fou
03-14-2011, 12:29 AM
Not just preparation but cleanup is also easier with cereal! These days I eat mine with yogurt. Of course there are like, 3 brands of cereal I can get here: frosted flakes, cocoa puffs, cocoa loops... oh an a bunch of "adult" cereal. Bleh!

Wolfgang
03-14-2011, 03:43 AM
"Adult"? Is it, like... panties, or boobs?

Büge
03-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Kellogg's Crunchy Panties: All you need to get them wet is milk.

Wolfgang
03-15-2011, 01:46 PM
I'd buy it.

Lady
03-15-2011, 04:55 PM
since I started using almond milk, I unabashedly have no reservations against reusing my cereal bowl, sometimes for an entire week.

Nunix would say this is because I am a dirty dirty slob who hates clean dishes, and he'd be right.

Shagohod
03-16-2011, 08:18 AM
Waffle crisp. Anybody remember it? It was A-OK

Wolfgang
03-16-2011, 10:38 AM
I remember Waffle O's.

DemoWeasel
03-16-2011, 03:44 PM
Waffle crisp. Anybody remember it? It was A-OK

I found a box of this over the summer; there was a huge rock of wafflized sugar among the normal cereal pieces!

Red Silvers
03-16-2011, 09:30 PM
Hey, that Captain Crunch thing post last page? Relax, people... (http://lifeinc.today.com/_news/2011/03/10/6237276-cereal-killing-or-mutiny-neither-capn-crunch-lives)

Wolfgang
03-17-2011, 01:11 AM
And what about the cartoon story lines that made the cereal a hit with kids? The original cartoon commercials created by famous animator Jay Ward, of "Rocky and Bullwinkle" fame, live on, thanks to YouTube. Will Cap'n Crunch's animated battle against the Soggies one day resume?

Holy mother of balls, if they made new, retro-looking advertainment episodes for Cap'n Crunch I would be a very happy boy indeed. Make 'em subversive enough to get that old Jay Ward flavor and they would probably be a big hit. Adult males can get into a fucking My Little Pony cartoon if it's done well, literally anything goes. More marketers need to get that in their heads: quality can actually sell your stuff.

Shagohod
03-23-2011, 11:45 AM
I saw a bagged cereal called Blueberry Muffin Tops. Anybody tried these?

mopinks
03-23-2011, 03:21 PM

it's definitely a good cereal, but a bit too suffocatingly sweet for comfort.

it's as if they saw Cinnamon Toast Crunch and said 'THERE IS JUST NOT ENOUGH SUGAR COVERING THIS SHIT'

abasm
03-23-2011, 09:49 PM
since I started using almond milk, I unabashedly have no reservations against reusing my cereal bowl, sometimes for an entire week.

Almond milk and cereal is just about the best thing ever. I am throughly convinced that, if a cereal does not mesh well with almond milk, it is probably not a very good cereal at all.

My personal favorites:
Honey Bunches of Oats, Apple-Cinnamon
Cinnamon Life
Total
Frosted Mini-Wheats

Something to try: next time you eat cereal, throw a scoop of vanilla whey powder in the bowl and mix it with the cereal before pouring the milk. It's like eating cereal in a milkshake.

Chu
04-13-2011, 11:02 PM
I was feeling kinda down about my limited cereal choices here. I bought a box of frosted cornflakes because they didn't have anything else in stock. Cornflakes by themselves are super lame and boring, so I decided to do something this week that I had never done before: I added fruit to it!

Now I know people do this all the time, and hell, they show fruit on the boxes of cereal. But for some reason I didn't ever do this myself. Maybe it's because I used to either eat cereal that was already pretty sweet or already had dried fruit in it? Nevertheless, I finally did it.

frosted cornflakes + dried blueberries + bananas = DELICIOUS

I heard through the grapevine that strawberry prices are way down because people are too paranoid to buy any from northern Kanto from fear of radiation. I'mma hafta get me some! And raspberries! And... what else goes good in cereal? Peaches? Too bad they're not in season yet.

Beefy Hits
04-14-2011, 08:18 AM

I've got a bag that's been sitting around for months. I used to like them, but I agree - they're way too sweet.

Wolfgang
04-14-2011, 03:37 PM
northern Kanto

Try slicing up some Bulbasaur or Bellsprout.

Chu
04-14-2011, 07:31 PM
B-but they're part Poison!

Wolfgang
04-15-2011, 12:19 PM
It's like fugu, you just eat the parts that aren't.

Blackberries are good too.

Shagohod
07-12-2011, 04:09 PM
I have found out about the most hilarious and awesome cereal ever.

Cröonchy Stars! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cr%C3%B6onchy_Stars)

Endorsed by Swedish Chef!

fugu13
07-12-2011, 04:11 PM
It's like fugu, you just eat the parts that aren't.

*shifty eyes*

SlimJimm
07-18-2011, 01:05 AM
Kellogg's Crunchy Nut O's is super good. I guess this stuff was big over in Europe and now they ship it everywhere?
http://www2.kelloggs.com/ServeImage.aspx?BID=105246&MD5=63586539924d4e8288a642239729317c&w=220

Wolfgang
07-18-2011, 09:11 PM
I have found out about the most hilarious and awesome cereal ever.

Cröonchy Stars! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cr%C3%B6onchy_Stars)

Endorsed by Swedish Chef!

I ate the hell out of these when I was a kid. The box was the best part, as it was covered in genuinely funny jokes and things, like made-up ingredients. There was one version of the box that had a puzzle to see how many times you could find the word "rutabaga" hidden on it. Except every instance of the word had something wrong with it that made it not count, so the number of times the word was hidden was effectively zero.

There were also fun activities you could do with the box. Like, if you added wheels, seats, an engine and a windshield, you could turn the box into a real working car! And since the box was made of carbon, if you buried it a mile underground and waited ten million years, it would turn into a diamond!

Also: Jim Henson originally wanted to call the cereal Stöopid Hoops (http://muppet.wikia.com/index.php?title=Cr%C3%B6onchy_Stars&image=SC_10470_JHcerealideas-jpg).

Speaking of awesome cereal ideas: back when Pee-wee's Playhouse was at its biggest, Paul Reubens came up with an idea for a cereal based on the show. It would be called Pee-wee Chow (http://www.cerealfix.com/news/pee-wee-chow-the-greatest-cereal-never-made/), and would be sold in big bags, like pet food. The commercials would show kids eating it from bowls on the floor like animals.

Dawnswalker
07-21-2011, 12:23 AM
A sly reference to Ralston Foods (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralcorp), I guess.

caviar.n.cigarettes
08-17-2011, 04:14 PM
I'm as much a fan of generic cereal as I am of name brand, for reasons I'm sure everyone can easily guess. But cereal in bulk trumps the cheapness of store-brand cereal, whenever I can be buggered to go to Costco, that is. Yesterday, I made a discovery: Kroger's Marshmallow Treasures are, in fact, more delicious than their name-brand counterparts, Lucky Charms. Seriously.

Vega
08-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Are there any raisin brans that don't have sugared raisins? I heard they sugar them up to keep them from sticking, but if so, couldn't they use something else to do that, like wheat flour?

caviar.n.cigarettes
08-27-2011, 07:21 PM
Are there any raisin brans that don't have sugared raisins? I heard they sugar them up to keep them from sticking, but if so, couldn't they use something else to do that, like wheat flour?

Be a cereal ninja! Buy bran flakes, add raisins separately. Reduce sugar!

mopinks
08-27-2011, 07:32 PM
if you're feeling brash, you can even add more than two scoops!

THE SKY'S THE LIMIT

Büge
08-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Be a cereal ninja! Buy bran flakes, add raisins separately. Reduce sugar!

Use dates. They're just as iron-rich as raisins and they're sweeter and higher in fiber.

SpoonyBardOL
08-30-2011, 06:27 AM
Have any Canucks ever found Peanut Butter Captain Crunch in stores up here? I know I've never been able to. :(

caviar.n.cigarettes
09-08-2011, 06:13 PM
I was ringing out at Costco today, and when scanning my Chocolate Cheerios, the cashier told me to use dark chocolate almond milk in place of regular milk with them. I'm unsure about this. I really like chocolate, and I really like chocolate almond milk...but combined, this may be too much of a good thing.

Paul le Fou
09-09-2011, 12:34 AM
I was ringing out at Costco today, and when scanning my Chocolate Cheerios, the cashier told me to use dark chocolate almond milk in place of regular milk with them. I'm unsure about this. I really like chocolate, and I really like chocolate almond milk...but combined, this may be too much of a good thing.

Only one way to find out. You can guess that it won't be too bad so it's worth the shot. Have a small bowl. In the name of human experience, broaden your horizons!

LBD_Nytetrayn
09-09-2011, 02:28 AM
Have any Canucks ever found Peanut Butter Captain Crunch in stores up here? I know I've never been able to. :(

I've been here a decade, and I've never seen it.

Red Hedgehog
09-09-2011, 08:04 AM
In general, I greatly prefer Almond Milk in my cereal to regular milk. Generally not a fan of flavored milks in my cereals, though.

SpoonyBardOL
09-10-2011, 10:29 AM
I've been here a decade, and I've never seen it.

I figured. :/

I just wanted to see if it was a Canadian thing or a Newfoundland thing.

LBD_Nytetrayn
09-11-2011, 03:16 AM
So far, so Canadian.

On a related note, I don't remember if I've mentioned it before, but the Canadian versions of some cereals are simply awful.

I'm looking at you, Pebbles and Corn Pops.

SpoonyBardOL
09-11-2011, 06:49 AM
Really? I kind of like our Corn Pops. You mean they get better?

Pebbles, I'll agree, I've never much liked them.

Karzac
09-11-2011, 07:42 AM
I've never liked Pebbles or Corn Pops or any of the "crunchy sugary sphere" cereals. Are they different in the states?

mopinks
09-11-2011, 07:56 AM
Canadians have different Corn Pops??

worthy of the mind-blowing revelations thread......

pointzeroeight
09-11-2011, 08:26 PM
In general, I greatly prefer Almond Milk in my cereal to regular milk. Generally not a fan of flavored milks in my cereals, though.

I tried almond milk once I found out about my allergies a few years ago. Couldn't stand the taste of it. Soy milk is a bit better but not by much, and then there's those things in there that apparently aren't so good for males. Ended up settling on rice milk and have been fairly satisfied with it. Had to go through a few to find one that didn't have a grainy texture to it. Still find it amusing when I eat Rice Krispies with rice milk.

LBD_Nytetrayn
09-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Canadians have different Corn Pops??

worthy of the mind-blowing revelations thread......

Behold! (http://the-smallfry.blogspot.com/2010/04/i-would-move-to-america-just-for-their.html)

SlimJimm
09-12-2011, 03:39 AM
Those Canadian ones remind me of Kix.

SpoonyBardOL
09-12-2011, 04:32 AM
Wow, Kelloggs, I am disappoint.

Büge
09-12-2011, 09:42 AM
If you've ever had Gorilla Munch, Canadian Corn Pops are a lot like those.

Adam
09-12-2011, 10:38 AM
I've never liked Pebbles or Corn Pops or any of the "crunchy sugary sphere" cereals. Are they different in the states?

For starters, they're not spheres.

Karzac
09-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Holy Jesus God.

Lady
09-12-2011, 09:44 PM

loooove Almond Breeze. For sweet cereals, I usually get the unsweetened kind, but if it's a Grown-Up cereal, I like the vanilla flavored kind :)

Ted
09-13-2011, 09:19 AM
Has anyone mentioned Nutri-grain yet? Here in the States it's a breakfast bar that doesn't really trip my trigger.

But in Australia, it's as close to ambrosia as cereal can get:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/da/Nutri-grain.jpg

LBD_Nytetrayn
09-14-2011, 06:06 AM
Here, we now have Chocolate Cheerios. Don't know if it's anywhere else.

It basically tastes like Cocoa Puffs. Which I don't mind, as we lack that here as well.

SlimJimm
09-14-2011, 06:18 AM
Do you have cinnamon, banana, frosted, fruity, or oat cluster cheerios as well?

SpoonyBardOL
09-14-2011, 07:45 AM
We have Banana, and I think I've seen Frosted as well. None of the others, though.

Daikaiju
09-17-2011, 05:27 AM
Maaaan.... I want me some Cracklin' Oat Bran.

dangerhelvetica
09-17-2011, 08:43 AM
If you've ever had Gorilla Munch

Can't mention the Munch without showing the box.

http://i.imgur.com/eKpd4.jpg

SpoonyBardOL
09-17-2011, 12:51 PM
....................yuuuuuuuuuuuuup. Those look like Canadian Corn Pops.

Dunno if they TASTE like them, but they got the look.

Sheana
09-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Curiousity finally got the best of me and I tried Count Chocula for the very first time.

Underwhelming!

Ghost from Spelunker
09-20-2011, 11:18 PM
Curiousity finally got the best of me and I tried Count Chocula for the very first time.

Underwhelming!

Is it just me or are those non-marshmallow ghosts in the Monster Cereals extremely hard? And people complain about Captain Crunch.

Sheana
09-21-2011, 03:06 AM
I think it might just be you! They're hard at first glance, but they disintegrate kind of super-easily and are mush within moments of coming into contact with milk.

mopinks
09-21-2011, 04:48 AM
I wish they'd sell Boo Berry without the marshmallows in it! cereal 'marshmallows' are not fit for human consumption.

ArugulaZ
09-21-2011, 06:02 AM
So what's the deal with these Canadian cereals? Do they change the recipe to make them more healthy?

LBD_Nytetrayn
09-21-2011, 10:17 AM
I wish they'd sell Boo Berry without the marshmallows in it! cereal 'marshmallows' are not fit for human consumption.

Really? I love cereal marshmallows! I wish there was a way to buy them by themselves.

Tanto
10-03-2011, 05:49 AM
I find it's best to think of cereal marshmallows not as marshmallows, but as their own separate entity. They're quite excellent if you disconnect them from your preconceptions of soft gooeyness.

That said, Count Chocula is definitely not as good as my youthful memories would have me believe. I think I'll be sticking with Cocoa of the Krispies and Puffs varieties for my future chocolate cereal endeavors.

mopinks
10-03-2011, 01:14 PM
They're quite excellent if you disconnect them from your preconceptions of soft gooeyness.

it also might help to disconnect my mouth from my face!

Shagohod
03-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Dulce de Leche Cheerios are A-ok.

Also, chocolate frosted Mini Wheats

Lady
03-12-2012, 10:45 PM
this shit (http://momsbestnaturals.com/) was on sale for 2 for $4, so I stocked up. It's pretty good, and I don't feel bad about eating sugar for breakfast since it's natural.

The downside is that when we moved, I forgot where I packed it... so instead I've been having brownies and girl scout cookies for breakfast.

Parish
03-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Has anyone mentioned Nutri-grain yet? Here in the States it's a breakfast bar that doesn't really trip my trigger.

But in Australia, it's as close to ambrosia as cereal can get:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/da/Nutri-grain.jpg

This stuff used to be sold in America, where it was called Iron Man. It was super good. I wish they still made it here.

Also, this thread reminded me of Waffelos cereal, which was basically just diabetes in a box. Obscenely good, but the breakfast food equivalent of a supersaturated sugar solution.

http://cdn.gunaxin.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/waffelos.jpg

Torzelbaum
03-13-2012, 12:17 AM
I've been having brownies and girl scout cookies for breakfast.The breakfast of champions...

Büge
03-13-2012, 09:59 AM
I've been having brownies and girl scout cookies for breakfast.

THAT'S NUTRITION! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRmN4KnfPxQ)

valhalladeath
03-21-2012, 02:12 PM
I've been having brownies and girl scout cookies for breakfast.

I read this as "I've been having Brownies and Girl Scouts for breakfast."

0_0

Wolfgang
03-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Speaking of breakfast obscenities, has anyone tried that new Krave stuff yet? The shredded wheat with a candy bar in the middle?

Comb Stranger
05-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Dulce de Leche Cheerios are A-ok.

Addendum, they taste exactly like French Toast Crunch.

LBD_Nytetrayn
05-12-2012, 01:33 AM
I'm enjoying chocolate Frosted Mini Wheats.

¡HarlequinPanic!
05-12-2012, 09:45 AM
I've been on malt-o-meal to save some cash. THE CHOICE OF A NEW GENERATION.

Just had some FROSTED MINI WHEAT SPOONERS or something, their frosted mini wheats, just as good as any others.

Daikaiju
05-12-2012, 09:51 AM
I love their commercials where they make a point of saying, "Yes we're in stores! Just look a lil' lower!"