PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Time: 2009 Projects and Goals

Balrog
12-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Okay, every year I get emo after Christmas when I start thinking about what I've accomplished during that year. My goal for the past three years has been to write a game and I've sunk a lot of time into projects which I ended up abandoning for one reason or another. Well, anyway, I really want to finish a game this year so I'm enlisting you guys to help. I need two things with some regularity: pats on the back for finishing stuff and kicks in the ass when I don't deliver on time.

Goals:
5 sprites per week
1 level(area) per month
1 gameplay 'thing' per week

Deadlines:
Uh, let's say 01/05/09 for the first weekly one and 01/31/09 for the first monthly one.

So if anyone else has something they want to accomplish this year and would like some encouragement/harassment, feel free to post the goals and deadlines here.

Here's the sprites I've done so far:
http://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/gameUpdate/King.png
http://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/gameUpdate/tilesVersion1.png

SilentSnake
12-29-2008, 10:58 PM
I want to make a game too, but it seems so overwhelming. Maybe 2009 will be my year? I just don't want it to be a waste. It seems silly for me to say, as it seems out of my grasp. Meh.

Ignore the pessimism.

KCar
12-29-2008, 11:48 PM
My goal is to finish my thesis on Lacanian poetics. Also to pick up the thread of my increased physical fitness that started this summer, but has a ways to go yet.

I'm also going to try to win my university's poetry contest this year. I placed third last year, and figure I can do better. What the hell, right? This is probably the only way to get paid for poetry in this day and age.

reibeatall
12-30-2008, 08:34 AM
I'm going to finish a story, hopefully two!

To make my goal a bit more possible, I'll focus most of my time on a shorter children's story that I've got in my head. I only plan on it being like 30 pages (with pictures!), so it shouldn't take too incredibly long.

Let's shoot for 5 pages a week. If I do more, that's great, but I still have to do 5 pages for the next week. I'll use the 1/05/09 timeline as the end of the first week.

Loki
12-30-2008, 08:35 AM
That is one crappy exit sprite.

I like the little king though! A lot!

Sheana
12-30-2008, 08:44 AM
My goal is to finally frickin' start that webcomic I've been planning for several years.

reibeatall
12-30-2008, 08:46 AM
My goal is to finally frickin' start that webcomic I've been planning for several years.

Do you have any ideas for it? Like, characters, scenarios, ect? If you do, then go from there. If not, come up with a bunch of stuff, and I'd say have 10 or so strips planned out before you start any of them.

Balrog
12-30-2008, 08:53 AM
That is one crappy exit sprite.

I like the little king though! A lot!

Ha ha, it does suck, I just needed a sprite for the level editor and I couldn't think of anything. It's a WIP.

silent_snake18, KCar, and Sheana, make some quantifiable goal and deadline so we can congratulate/flagellate you.

rei, respect knuckles or knuckle sandwich, the choice is yours. See you on the 5th.

Elfir
12-30-2008, 10:00 AM
My project: Finish the FFX LP. :p
damn my party is gimped so bad!

Gredlen
12-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Since I'm getting an ICS degree, it is only natural that I should maybe program some things. I just took the first class this past semester, but I have decided that my goal for now is to write a text adventure game in Java. I can't really put any strict deadlines on the game, though. This is the first time I've done any programming on my own, so I don't know how long it'll take for me to plan out how I want to program everything, and there are almost certainly some things (like serialization) that I'm just going to need to learn on my own.

I vow to complete this project by the end of 2009, though! Suddenly I feel as if I'm falling from the top of a very tall building.

Balrog
12-30-2008, 01:27 PM
How about like one class per week or x lines of code per week?

Brickroad
12-30-2008, 01:27 PM
I never finish anything, including this pos

Balrog
12-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Commit yourself to one word per week. You can do it, Brick!

Gredlen
12-30-2008, 01:44 PM
You can do it, Brick!

This works so well with your avatar.

Healy
12-30-2008, 01:48 PM
My goal: Get at least one IF done per month.

First deadline: January the 31, obviously.

liquidben
12-30-2008, 02:46 PM
My goal: Create goals for next year
Deadline: Jan 1st

Gotta start somewhere...

Balrog
12-30-2008, 02:52 PM
My goal: Get at least one IF done per month.

First deadline: January the 31, obviously.

Awesome! Can't wait to play them.

My goal: Create goals for next year
Deadline: Jan 1st

Gotta start somewhere...

Baby steps, baby steps.

Gredlen
12-30-2008, 03:08 PM
How about like one class per week or x lines of code per week?

For the time being, I think I'm going to give myself time to learn more about what I'll need to be doing, plan things out, and start thinking about puzzle ideas and the like. I'm probably going to stick with this until the end of this coming semester, that way I can get beyond the most basic understanding of programming before I actually start programming.

I'll probably start coding around summer, at which point I'll probably go for one class per week.

Gredlen
12-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Also, even though I said all that, I actually did write a room class just now. So now I can make rooms! Except I can't because I decided to declare variables of classes I haven't written yet, like items and exits.

Sheana
12-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Do you have any ideas for it? Like, characters, scenarios, ect? If you do, then go from there. If not, come up with a bunch of stuff, and I'd say have 10 or so strips planned out before you start any of them.

Oh I have a ton of chararacters, a personal wiki full of info and ideas, the first story arc written, the next few arcs planned, and thirty-odd strips drawn. I've just had a bunch of Real Life stuff interupt me from finishing the planned backlog I wanted and the website. I didn't want to start it if I had all sorts of crap interupting me.

Ben1842
12-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Adam, I love the little King guy and the snowy hill sprites. The exit sign on the other hand.....

Keep up the good work, I'm really looking forward to seeing your progress as the thread goes on.

Also i would make my own goals, but I'm always late on Making VGTO...in fact I'm putting it off right now while I'm typing this lol

SlimJimm
12-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Got any sprite animations to show Adam?

Balrog
12-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Adam, I love the little King guy and the snowy hill sprites. The exit sign on the other hand.....

Keep up the good work, I'm really looking forward to seeing your progress as the thread goes on.

Also i would make my own goals, but I'm always late on Making VGTO...in fact I'm putting it off right now while I'm typing this lol

Thanks, and good luck.
Got any sprite animations to show Adam?

I've got a crappy walking animation for the King, I'll try to have something decent by the 5th.

SilentSnake
12-30-2008, 07:45 PM
Okay I've got one.

I will learn XNA C# by 2/1/09 and have a functioning sample something, graphical, of course.

I will have a sample level done by 4/1/09.

Maybe?

Torgo
12-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Write more for Gamespite
Do my Let's Play of FFVI
Not let either of these things impede on more important matters

Healy
12-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Awesome! Can't wait to play them.

I just coded a very simple sample of my game. I also wrote up some design notes for the game. Right now I'm stuck on the puzzles of it, but I can deal with those later.

Gredlen
12-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Okay I've got one.

I will learn XNA C# by 2/1/09 and have a functioning sample something, graphical, of course.

I will have a sample level done by 4/1/09.

Maybe?

I think I'm going to be doing this myself, after I get a better grasp of Java.

Warg
12-31-2008, 02:10 AM
I've got more important personal goals to accomplish -- but, I do have a goal with which, by the end of January, I aim to complete, polish, and decide on place to upload a couple of my short chiptune pieces. On uploading, I'm looking at some of the places previously recommended by other Tyrants here -- though I'm trying to lean toward places with a more non-commercial focus.

I still feel my compositional skills are in need of work though: I can do short 30-to-45-second looping pieces, but I still feel I don't quite yet have a grasp of organizing longer compositions. So that's what I hope to work on throughout the year. By year's end, I hope to get involved in making background music for any really-short & free game, Flash or otherwise -- at least where it'd be appropriate to use simpler waveforms for music.

For module music files using recorded instrument samples, I still need to seek out instrument samples that are decent and free to use -- or I might need to sample my own complex-waveform synth instruments from my newly-acquired KORG DS-10 software.

Gredlen
12-31-2008, 03:12 AM
If you're looking for a place to upload music, I've seen this Tindeck (http://www.tindeck.com/) site used before and it seems to work fine.

Balrog
01-02-2009, 12:30 PM
A slightly reworked version of the King
http://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/gameUpdate/KingRework.png

and a blinged out version (thanks for the input rei!) I might run with this version :0
http://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/gameUpdate/KingBling.png

Violentvixen
01-02-2009, 01:00 PM
I think life will mainly be taken over by adjusting to the new house and projects created by it. I know I'll need to stain the fence in spring and probably replant the grass. I'd like to get a vegetable garden going as well.

Other than that, paying down credit cards. I spent six months of 2008 paying rent on two places so I've racked up a lot more than I'm comfortable with (although I'm pretty dang proud of surviving it since after paying both I only had about $200 of my paycheck left each month). January is the last month of that so I plan on putting as much as possible towards paying the cards off.

Zodar
01-02-2009, 01:10 PM
write webcomic, get job, buy car

liquidben
01-02-2009, 07:26 PM
I swear, I'm going to manifest massive amounts of ki and have goals together this weekend. Otherwise... I commit to Talking Time assigned embarrassment until I do so. *grits teeth*

keele864
01-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Goals:
1) Lose weight / exercise - Going well thus far, as I have recently lost weight and I have recently taken up exercise.
2) Graduate from college - On track.
3) Find a job - Damn.

gamin
01-03-2009, 10:17 PM
My major goal is getting my animation done already. Hopefully before Spring '09. It had been my goal for the end of '08 but I've been struggling with the sheer number of frames needed for a few shots. Also I tend to get distracted a little too easily (like now).

After that, I want to do some small little easier animations and possibly start getting some income from it all. I don't doubt that I'll be stuck in retail for at least another year to come, but it would be nice to get something out of my art for once.

Traumadore
01-03-2009, 11:09 PM
I never finish anything, including this pos

DAAAAAAAMNIIIIIIIIIT!

*busts out paints*

liquidben
01-04-2009, 06:24 PM
Okay, I spent a good deal of this weekend grinding out a rough draft for the next year of my life. Due to the frustrating shenanigans of the last week, premium priority is to buy a replacement spare tire and a replacement tire iron.

After that, this month I need to: Seal up the kitchen so it stops being so damn cold in there, write a program for work, and get the paint fixed up on my car so it doesn't rust this winter. Maybe finish my LBP level.

Long term: I need to work on my XNA program, lay groundwork for house remodelling, and some other car work. Also do some general career path improvement stuff.

Sprite
01-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Work on my drawing every morning before I go to work.

Balrog
01-05-2009, 12:26 AM
OK, here's the sprites I did this week, the king's walking animation needs work but it's good enough for now. Gameplay-wise I got picking stuff up working this week. I'll try to get some video(any suggestions?) of the game running eventually.

http://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/gameUpdate/tilesUpdate1.png
http://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/gameUpdate/enemiesUpdate1.png
http://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/gameUpdate/walkingKing3.gif

gamin
01-05-2009, 12:35 AM
The king probably needs to bob up and down a pixel when he moves. Also, the legs aren't moving, I assume those are being worked on.

I quite like the octopus.

Traumadore
01-05-2009, 12:47 AM
Just get Fraps for a video, you can capture 30 second clips for free.

Kirin
01-05-2009, 11:00 AM
The main issue with the walking animation is that there's no frame with the legs together, so it doesn't look like they ever cross over. Other than that it looks great, though.

taidan
01-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Need to learn some chords on this damn guitar.

I won't give up. I will conquer stringed instruments.

Queen Possum
01-05-2009, 11:25 AM
I want to get my sewing room set up and organized to the point where I can actually justify taking commissions.

After that gargantuan task, everything else should be a breeze.

Violentvixen
01-05-2009, 02:05 PM

Oh man how did I forget to list the guitar stuff. I've had mine for almost four years now and haven't played consistently for more than three months at a time.

nadia
01-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Did I mention "finish the second draft of my novel" yet? 'Cause here it is again.

Finish the second draft of my novel.

reibeatall
01-06-2009, 06:30 AM
So I've got 18 or so verses finished on this 26 verse poem that I'm turning into a book. I don't feel like posting any of them yet, so we'll have to work off the honor system.

Merus
01-06-2009, 06:48 AM
I never get anything done that I want to. This is a recipe for a midlife crisis in twenty years. I think it's nice that I'm preemptively concerned, but it doesn't actually help.

Balrog
01-06-2009, 07:15 AM
So I've got 18 or so verses finished on this 26 verse poem that I'm turning into a book. I don't feel like posting any of them yet, so we'll have to work off the honor system.

Post blurry unreadable screenshots?

I'm shooting to get the same amount of stuff done by 1/12/09.

reibeatall
01-06-2009, 07:24 AM
Ok, I'll do that when I get home.

Ample Vigour
01-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Learn to swim.

Do a handstand.

Smile at a stranger.

nadia
01-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Learn to swim.

Do a handstand.

Smile at a stranger.

It's easiest to do a handstand under water!

You can even smile at strangers at a public pool, but watch the intensity or you might be answering questions in a Police station.

SilentSnake
01-06-2009, 10:05 PM
All this 1up nonsense just gave me a kick in the ass. I have an additional goal now:

I will write at least three sample game articles by the end of the month. Hopefully more.

Ample Vigour
01-06-2009, 10:56 PM
watch the intensity

An impossibility.

Master-J
01-08-2009, 11:48 PM

Ugh...music. That reminds me: I should probably do something with the saxophone that's been sitting in my closet for the last three years (I will NOT let all that time I spent in high school concert band be completely wasted).

Warg
01-16-2009, 01:56 AM
I figure if we're going to stick to our projects, we probably shouldn't let this thread get off the main page.

I've been progressing on compositions: I'd been jotting down ideas into FamiTracker as I've been getting them over the past few months, picked it up again over the past few weeks -- and I've managed to further develop a few of those ideas. Even if they're still incomplete, I'm pretty happy with the results so far! Though, I could still stand to make them sound a bit shinier still. I've also got a bit of composer's block on one piece, but it's nothing too major -- I've at least got an overall idea of how I want the piece to end & loop, and I have a few other pieces to work on in the meantime.

Also, I managed to create a bass drum sample with the KORG DS-10 synth, one that I was pretty happy with; I recorded it onto my computer and imported it into FamiTracker -- and it works quite nicely! Adds a bit of heft to those pieces that'll use it. The only thing is, I still want to create a decent snare drum sample -- and ergh, I'm having a pretty-tough time doing that. I created a sample that sounds like I'm hitting a large metal lid, which actually sounds kinda cool withing the KORG DS-10 software itself -- but, it doesn't import too well into FamiTracker, given the intense amount of filtering that goes on when it needs to downgrade the sample. I'd search elsewhere for a snare drum sound -- but I'd prefer to create my own samples, since I don't really have much space in tags to credit others for theirs; not to mention that I'd have to actively search out public domain or creative commons sounds, which for me, at least, takes time in its own right.

Still though, overall, things are coming along reasonably well!

If you're looking for a place to upload music, I've seen this Tindeck (http://www.tindeck.com/) site used before and it seems to work fine.

I've been looking over this site, and it looks a fine option! My only concern is that, from what I read of the FAQ, it seems users aren't given the option to delete their uploads -- which would be a problem in case I feel I need to update any pieces I create. It seems users have to convince the site maintainers that there's a compelling reason to delete a song. But, well, that just means I need to make sure the pieces are as finalized as possible before uploading them.

... ehhhhhxcept it looks like they're down for the month. Ergh, yeah, I can imagine how running that site gets expensive, worse so if people abuse it.

So! Balrog! How go your sprites and gameplay?

Balrog
01-16-2009, 08:10 AM
I figure if we're going to stick to our projects, we probably shouldn't let this thread get off the main page.
Word. My bad, I've been slacking this week, sort of.
So! Balrog! How go your sprites and gameplay?

I did a bunch of sprites this week but I ended up rewriting a bunch of code to simplify what was there and make it less hacky. I'll double post this Monday to make up.

I recommend using freewebs for hosting files. I've been using it since college with no problems.

Also, Famitracker is really fun to use once you get the hang of it. I used to play around with it and I'll use it again when I start making music for my game. If I remember right it has a MIDI converter that's pretty useful.

four-so
01-17-2009, 07:38 PM
Things I'd like to do in 09:

1.) Blog at least three times a week to get in the habit of writing regularly.

2.) Get my MCSE. (Books just came in the mail yesterday, so I'm ahead on this one.)

3.) Move back home (Baton Rouge, LA) and find a job. #2 will help with that some.

4.) Begin my sleeve (tattoo). Income tax return should help with this.

5.) Find a pair of shoes I really like.

Violentvixen
01-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Looking at cars in the last couple days made me realize that I need to learn to drive a manual shift.

I have no clue how I'm going to do that as no one I know here owns one, but I assume a driving school will do something like that? Or would they just laugh me out of the office?

Balrog
01-17-2009, 09:44 PM
1.) Blog at least three times a week to get in the habit of writing regularly.

What's your blog?

Warg
01-19-2009, 08:06 PM
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiIt's Mondaaaaay!

Balrog, are you ready to share more of your talents with the world?

[...] Famitracker is really fun to use once you get the hang of it. I used to play around with it and I'll use it again when I start making music for my game. If I remember right it has a MIDI converter that's pretty useful.
Yeah, I've actually been playing around with FamiTracker for at least a couple of years now, in a scattered on-&-off fashion. It's just that, after putting it off for so long for other things, and afterward toying around with instrument and track settings for quite a while, I finally decided within the past several months to hunker down and actually compose some tunes. I actually did finally complete something in mid-late September; I felt really proud of myself at the time, thinking that my short looping piece sounded polished, complex, & dramatic -- and then I walked away from it for two days, listened to it again, and realized it was a disorganized, convoluted mess. Kind of like a lot of my posts, sadly!

Even now, I'm still learning a lot, in terms of using built-in effects such pitch slides & portamento effects; manually inputting effects like echo/reverb and duty-cycle switching; and most importantly, getting a better hang of making good compositions. I feel I'm getting much better at putting out a somewhat-complex and moderately-shiny sound -- but by far the most difficult thing for me right now is making different parts of a song that, as a whole, flow together well.

I'm actually kinda happy with how these last couple of compositions of mine are turning out, as a result of more practice -- even if they're not completely perfect. Still, I might actually be able to post a couple of things by at least early next month.

So, more of you out there posted desires to get started with, or complete, your own projects. Everyone else who posted here -- how are the rest of you going toward own goals? [Best to post at least something, whether or not you're happy with your own progress -- even if it's just to say you have yet to start or resume on what you want to do! Just keep us, and more-importantly yourself, afloat on how you're doing!]

keele864
01-19-2009, 08:56 PM
I'm actually doing well with my "getting exercise and losing weight" resolution. I've been going to the gym and hitting up the erg machine almost every day. People tell me the weight loss has been noticeable; I certainly find that I have less flab on certain parts of my body.

Alas, my book reading has declined - I've only read three books thus far this year. This is subpar for me. Maybe I should just rack up a bunch of short books - There's something very satisfying about novellas and short novels. Then again, it's also great to read really long books once in a while, and I do want to read and discuss 2666. Choices, choices...

Balrog
01-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Here's the sprites I did during the last two weeks. http://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/gameUpdate/tileUpdate4.png
I'm uploading a video of an earlier build of the game now. I'm still working out the kinks on the rewrite so it'll be a bit before I post anything interesting gameplay-wise :|

Warg
01-24-2009, 03:00 PM
... huh. I think I might actually be done with one of my 2a03 pieces. It's a short 38 second looping piece, but I've given it a couple days, and -- yeah, I'm actually happy with how it's turned out.

I'm gonna wait until I can get one or two more pieces done, so that I can offer a bit of variety in what I post. In this way, after I complete another piece and learn what I can from that, I can also go back and see if there's anything else I can apply to this first piece.

In other news, I've continued trying to generate samples with the KORG DS-10. It's still been pretty hard trying to make a snare drum sample I've actually been happy with -- and I've also been trying to figure out how to make a good timpani, too. In the process of attempting the timpani, though, I did inadvertently make a pretty nice harp. I also somehow made a sample that sounds like a high-pitched, slightly-out-of-tune sitar.

I've also identified one of my problems in why it takes me so long to complete any sort of creative projects: I've noticed that I tend to spend too much time observing what I've completed so far, admiring it & yet being too afraid to add to it or complete it, for fear of ruining it. In the same vein, I've been spending way too much time planning my next courses of action, when what I really need to just do is do something and learn from whatever mistakes I make.

It's not quite as bad for digital projects, where I can keep several save files of the same project & return to one of 'em if I don't like how I've progressed -- though that aforementioned problem still somehow exists. It's even worse for more-tangible projects where it isn't quite as easy to undo mistakes. What's frustrating is that, if I'm working toward a set deadline, I cause myself (or at least have caused myself) to cram all my work toward the very end, which results in a sloppier project than if I had just decided on a course of action earlier; I've also managed to deprive myself of sleep & skip meals. So, it is a form of procrastination -- but not out of a lack of desire to do work, but more out of a fear of making a wrong decision when I do have time to make it.

[Come to think of it -- this problem was also true of open-ended homework assignments.]

So what I need to do is just force myself to decide on a course of action, and do it. Even if I end up making mistakes, I think I'll be overall much more productive that way, and learn a hell of a lot more about how to do things the right way.

Balrog
01-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Just get Fraps for a video, you can capture 30 second clips for free.

Does anyone know of a good converter from avi to google video/youtube? I've tried uploading to both and they both give me a failure message after they process it :'(

Warg
01-26-2009, 03:48 PM
... huh. Now, I haven't used any video upload services just yet -- but just to throw something out there, does it matter which codec your AVI file is using?

teg
01-26-2009, 04:26 PM
Have to finish a 40-page (approximately) comic compilation before Animaritime (early March). I'm doing this to see if I can actually write coherent comics and/or meet a deadline. Also, I can get my name out there and possibly make some money (not bloody likely).

Red Hedgehog
01-26-2009, 05:37 PM
... huh. Now, I haven't used any video upload services just yet -- but just to throw something out there, does it matter which codec your AVI file is using?

Yes, it will matter what codec the video is in. Not that I can be any more helpful like with details about which services can handle which codecs. :(

Warg
01-26-2009, 09:34 PM
Well then -- Balrog, I think you might be able to try VirtualDub (http://www.virtualdub.org/) to experiment and see if a certain codec might work.

EDIT: And I've only found these three (http://help.youtube.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?answer=94454&topic=16609) help (http://help.youtube.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?answer=55744) pages (http://help.youtube.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?answer=58128&topic=16608) on YouTube, which relay about the same information.

Gredlen
01-26-2009, 09:39 PM
What you need to do is go to this topic (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=4443) and read either of the first two guides.

Balrog
01-26-2009, 11:39 PM
Thanks, I won't be able to figure the video thing out today so I'll just post screenshots :|

http://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/gameUpdate/screen1.png

http://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/gameUpdate/screen2.png

http://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/gameUpdate/screen3.png

Warg
01-27-2009, 08:02 PM
Well, you can only work with what properly works for you. In any case, though, it's cool to see a few screenshots!

So, a few questions:1) Are the colors in this most-recent tileset finalized? I'm just noticing that a few in the first set of tiles you posted, at the start of this thread, seem to use a greater number of colors per tile.

2) Are you planning on setting a quantifiable color limit per tile, and maybe have a goal of a general color limit per screen? Or would you consider that too arbitrary?

3) Do you already have a general idea for game mechanics?

Balrog
01-27-2009, 10:10 PM
So, a few questions:1) Are the colors in this most-recent tileset finalized? I'm just noticing that a few in the first set of tiles you posted, at the start of this thread, seem to use a greater number of colors per tile.
I'm sticking to the NES palette but not the color restrictions per tile. Some of the tiles in the current screenshots look a little bland but modified versions with grass growing on them, decay, etc. will be later in the level. I'll probably put another coat of paint on some of the tiles once I start gearing towards a completed level.
2) Are you planning on setting a quantifiable color limit per tile, and maybe have a goal of a general color limit per screen? Or would you consider that too arbitrary?
Probably 5 colors + clear per tile.
3) Do you already have a general idea for game mechanics?
SMB2 with more emphasis on puzzles and boss battles is what I'm aiming for.

MCBanjoMike
01-28-2009, 08:20 AM
I like the mermaid statue. Busty!

Balrog
01-28-2009, 08:40 AM
I like the mermaid statue. Busty!

All the women will be big gals. PROMISE!

Balrog
02-02-2009, 11:58 AM
I haven't done crap this week outside of a few bug fixes. I blame E.D.F. 2017 for sidetracking me.

reibeatall
02-02-2009, 12:03 PM
I am about 1/3 done with the first chapter of my book. I wrote 2 whole front/back pages yesterday, and I've just gotta type them up to see how many real printed pages that is.

Warg
02-02-2009, 01:22 PM
So I listened again to the short looping piece I made, after giving myself a while of not listening to it -- and I feel it could be punchier still, so I might see what I can do with more duty-cycle accents. Another longer piece I've been making -- well, I've been forming a better idea of how I want the piece to sound; it's just a matter of putting the notes down and polishing 'em up.

I also haven't been working on things as much in the past week. Been busy with other things, and I occupied myself with games that I'd been putting off playing, especially so I could contribute to some Fun Clubs.

And things are going to be busier now -- so what I think I'm going to have to do is, instead of larger blocks of time devoted to this sort of thing, I'm going to find little 10 to 15 minute blocks of time in which I can work on these projects. In this way, I think I can also take my mind off the work I've just done, come back to it later, and see what I think of with a fresher mind.

I also have other goals to fit in too -- as with most everyone else here, I'm gonna need to work out more. I'm starting to get some flab, and I'd also like more energy throughout the day.

I am about 1/3 done with the first chapter of my book. I wrote 2 whole front/back pages yesterday, and I've just gotta type them up to see how many real printed pages that is.
Awesome stuff.

I haven't done crap this week outside of a few bug fixes. I blame E.D.F. 2017 for sidetracking me.

Great & important that you're willing to acknowledge it.

Now, are you back on track, or what can you do to get there?

Balrog
02-02-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm going to work on programming enemy/puzzle stuff tonight. It should be fun but I've been putting it off because that's what I do.

Violentvixen
02-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Looking at cars in the last couple days made me realize that I need to learn to drive a manual shift.

I have no clue how I'm going to do that as no one I know here owns one, but I assume a driving school will do something like that? Or would they just laugh me out of the office?

There are two driving schools in town. One doesn't have a website and the other doesn't look promising for learning stick but I sent them an email so I can say I tried. Anyway, there's a ton of videos online so I'll just do that, but behind-the-wheel training is best and I'd rather it wasn't in a car I just bought!

Balrog
02-05-2009, 12:07 AM
I added some small highlights to the gold tiles. Give me some feedback, plz.
http://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/gameUpdate/spriteUpdate.png

Also, which of these do you prefer?
http://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/gameUpdate/blobs.png

Bongo Bill
02-05-2009, 12:12 AM
I think the gold tiles could stand to have thinner borders and maybe a slightly less cheese-like hue, but you've got a good thing going with them. As for the pink things, I guess it depends what you're using them for.

This year, to start with, I will make something in the next 7DRL contest, and also get accepted to grad school.

Kirin
02-05-2009, 08:06 AM
If you put all four pink things in an animated loop it looks like it's mellllltinnnnngg....

A melting... jellyfish brick? Sure.

widdershins
02-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Hell I plan to do this every year so I'd better post this so I can shame myself into actually doing it.

Goal: Gear up for at least the level 2, preferably the level 1, JLPT by the end of the year. Create a blog for said project to keep myself honest.

...pray to god.

Knight
02-05-2009, 09:48 AM
I added some small highlights to the gold tiles. Give me some feedback, plz.

Also, which of these do you prefer?
http://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/gameUpdate/blobs.png
The highlights look good, makes the tiles look less flat.

As for the purple things; Starting from the left, I like 1 and 3.

Kate or Die!
02-05-2009, 10:21 AM
My main goal is to finish this doll (http://kateordie.com/?p=57) I started about two years ago, and have it in my art show in June.

SlimJimm
02-05-2009, 10:48 AM
I like the 4th purple dude because he reminds me of a pacman ghost and theres nothing wrong with that.
Actually its because the stripe looks like a mouth, and on the others the multiple stripes dont.

Oh and I think the tiles look pretty good now, but the king needs some sort of jumping animation instead of "walkin" on air.

widdershins
02-06-2009, 09:30 AM
My main goal is to finish this doll (http://kateordie.com/?p=57) I started about two years ago, and have it in my art show in June.

That's super neat, K! Just sayin'

Balrog
02-07-2009, 01:21 AM
I got bored and did some animating tonight.
http://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/gameUpdate/blobAnimated10.gifhttp://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/gameUpdate/blobAnimated10.gifhttp://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/gameUpdate/blobAnimated10.gifhttp://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/gameUpdate/blobAnimated10.gifhttp://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/gameUpdate/blobAnimated10.gif
http://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/gameUpdate/blobAnimated10.gifhttp://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/gameUpdate/blobAnimated10.gifhttp://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/gameUpdate/blobAnimated10.gifhttp://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/gameUpdate/blobAnimated10.gifhttp://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/gameUpdate/blobAnimated10.gif

Kate or Die!
02-07-2009, 08:52 AM
I like the melty one!
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o52/KateCastoro/blobs-2.gif

Balrog
02-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Ha ha, I'll have to use that now.

nadia
02-07-2009, 09:41 AM
So I promised I'd have the second draft of my novel done by the end of February and that's going really badly!

Warg
02-08-2009, 12:18 AM
I've read here and in the Thread of Random Discontent about how people aren't happy with their progress, or feel down about not having started.

Guys, it's still not too late! Resolutions don't have to start right at the New Year.

Just keep posting in this thread -- weekly, or more than that if you want -- even if it's just to say "I researched _____," or "I did this little thing toward my goal," or even "Man, I didn't do anything this past week, I ought to do _____ & _____ this coming week."

Just keep us up to date on your progress -- even if you haven't made any -- and it'll keep you mindful of what you want to accomplish!

If it weren't for my constant self-criticism and desire to improve what I already have, I'd already have something up to show right now! Especially now that Tindeck (http://tindeck.com/) is back up with some spiffy new features (http://forums.tindeck.com/viewtopic.php?pid=2).

While I haven't done much work on the pieces proper, over the past week with the KORG DS-10, I did finally create snare and timpani samples with which I'm pretty happy! The snare sample did need white noise and a triangle wave, like the default snare -- but I was able to make it sound fuller than the default. The timpani sample actually required me to use two channels to sound proper.

What's more, I imported them into FamiTracker, and even turned into a low-bitrate sample, they still sound mostly great! And actually, the lower bitrate does a bit to hide the synthiness of the samples. The snare's definitely going to help out a lot in my pieces. The timpani still does sound a bit noisy -- but at least it should work well combined with the other sound channels.

OK, here's the sprites I did this week, the king's walking animation needs work but it's good enough for now. [...]
http://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/gameUpdate/walkingKing3.gif

By the way, I've been meaning to comment on this: the reason the walking animation looks kinda funny to me -- why it almost looks like he's shuffling along the ground instead of doing a proper walk -- is because his legs don't appear to cross from our perspective.

Here's a quick-ish image I made in Paint, admittedly using a bit of copy & paste. I still need work on my perspectives and proportions -- but this is just a quick example to show.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/4081/lawireframelegswalkingrb8.png

So, yeah, legs crossing on the first image. I know you don't have much height to work with on the legs in your sprite -- but if you could still make them appear to cross from our perspective, I think it might look a bit more natural.

And cool enemy sprites, by the way! I like how you've animated the purple tentacle creature.

reibeatall
02-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Ugh fuck shit fuck.

So I ended up typing out everything I have written for chapter 1, and it's not even a thousand fucking words. Ugh.

UGH.

I'm about to format it so that I can see how many story book pages that turns out to be, but goddamn it. I'm still bummed.

Balrog
02-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Uh, I did the sprites that I posted earlier, did some bug fixing with the collisions and wrote some preliminary stuff to handle what enemies do when they're hit with other types of enemies.

spineshark
02-13-2009, 08:40 AM
So I knew I should really be able to come up with something, but I couldn't figure out anything reasonable for a while. Everything I could think of made me feel it'd be too easy to the point of effortlessness, or would alternatively crush me under the weight of intimidation.

Basically what I realized is, I've been playing Beatmania a lot, and it takes a lot of practice. Like a real instrument! So maybe I should put some of that time back in to a real instrument! I played piano a lot from kindergarten through graduating high school, but in the past year I've fallen off hard. I'm really hoping this will even lead into me taking up music at college (which I almost did last fall) since I'm starting to feel like it's really what I want to do, but in the meantime, I'm going to finish learning the pieces I was working on when I "quit": Debussy's Children's Corner and a Rhapsody by Brahms.

The former is actually going to be really easy, since I already still know two of the pieces really well, have played two others quite a bit, and Jimbo's Lullaby is just really easy, leaving only Golliwogg's Cakewalk. But it'll be a good start.

UnChocolate
02-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Ah, I love Brahms. He may be my favorite composer in classical music.

On that note though, I've been playing one of his violin sonatas for ages, and I hope to get that to a satisfactory level.

Balrog
02-13-2009, 09:47 AM
You guys should record yourselves playing and post links, SRSLY.

spineshark
02-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Today was the first day. I still know some stuff! I'm a little rustier than I expected, but I can still pretty well fake it on the stuff I used to know, and a lot of things that seemed really hard are less intimidating now.
Ah, I love Brahms. He may be my favorite composer in classical music.
I'd have to go with Debussy for my favorite, then Chopin. Brahms is also really great, though. He could even be third.
You guys should record yourselves playing and post links, SRSLY.
I'll have to see if I have a decent way to work this (I've thought of a couple possible solutions already). May even be able to do something kind of easy this weekend.

Warg
02-16-2009, 05:52 PM
So, past week? Busy as hell, been tired as hell, and I've been indulging myself on Spelunky & Retro Game Challenge during my free time. I shouldn't be indulging myself as much.

I have two compositions about done, just needing a few fix ups, but it's the third longer one that I've had a bit of composer's block on. Been coming up with better ideas on how to improve the sections I haven't been too happy with so far -- but I just need to actually create those new patterns & put those notes down.

And I'd post the two, but I'd really like to have this third one ready with 'em, to provide a bit more variety in what I post at first. Afterwards, I'll probably post one or two at a time.

spineshark
02-16-2009, 09:16 PM
My first plan to capture video failed because the microphone situation didn't work out so well. The sound levels I got were inaudibly low.

Fortunately, I have more microphones around! I'll keep trying!

Of course, even once I figure that out, there's still the issue of actually playing the music right. But even that's still coming along fine. I actually feel retroactively horrible for practicing more each day for the past few days than I did when I was taking piano lessons. I'll have to see if I can keep it up.

The first couple days I mostly worked on a few things I used to know really well but had lost somewhat: some preludes by Bach, the second movement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata (you know, the best one), and the first of Debussy's Deux Arabesques (I never got the technique down for the second, although I'll have to work on that soon). Also Doctor Gradus Ad Parnassum and The Little Shepherd as part of Children's Corner. Actually, that's so many things that I didn't actually get quite all the way with any of them, but that's okay because I have tons of time still and mostly just wanted to use some things I was familiar with as a warm-up to get used to all this piano business again.

Yesterday I worked on Serenade for the Doll from Children's Corner. Aside from one bit a third of the way through, it's not very hard. Of course, it helps a lot that I've listened to it quite a bit, it being my favorite piece from the suite. On the other hand, I'm also playing it slowly, and picking up the tempo is going to be a whole lot more frantic, with all of the hand motion.

Today I mostly hacked away at the first quarter of the Brahms, the part I had kind of learned before. I knew pretty well what it was supposed to sound like, but I never bothered to really perfect it. No more! Well, like everything, it's still coming along, but I have a good feeling.

So far I feel like I'm on track for significant successes, but I can't get too pleased with myself; this is the sort of thing I'll need to keep working hard at consistently lest I fall off again. Still, I think easing myself into it by setting up relatively loosely defined goals (instead of having assignments handed down from other people) is really helping me stay cool and focused about it so far.

Gredlen
02-16-2009, 10:31 PM
the second movement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata (you know, the best one)

You mean the one no one knows because it's an interlude to the two better movements everyone does know? oh snap

I've actually been considering practicing piano again myself, and probably focusing on all of Moonlight Sonata. I've been learning off-and-on for well over a decade and I have very little to show for it, but I'd like to change that just a little bit.

UnChocolate
02-17-2009, 12:04 AM
You mean the one no one knows because it's an interlude to the two better movements everyone does know? oh snap
pfft, people only reeeally know the first movement. They're missing out. Sort of like how people only sort of know the chorale from Beethoven's 9th.

Gredlen
02-17-2009, 12:07 AM
I think plenty of people know the third movement, but they just don't realize it and certainly don't think of it when they hear "Moonlight Sonata."

Balrog
02-17-2009, 10:12 AM
I did a bunch of sprites this week that I hate. One is salvageable but the rest aren't going to make the cut. Most of my time was spent trying to make a enemy that will affect time but I couldn't make a decent walking clock/hourglass to save my life. I've also been making short little sections of a level using Mappy and testing them out and that's going alright.

spineshark
02-17-2009, 10:23 AM
I only learned the first two movements, because it was for a Sonata/Sonatina competition where you only needed to learn two. (I guess otherwise it'd be unfair to pick one with only two movements because it'd be presumably shorter and easier to learn?) And the third movement is much more difficult than the dirge-tastic first, and short, calm second.

MCBanjoMike
02-17-2009, 10:23 AM
The former is actually going to be really easy, since I already still know two of the pieces really well, have played two others quite a bit, and Jimbo's Lullaby is just really easy, leaving only Golliwogg's Cakewalk. But it'll be a good start.

Oh man, the Golliwog's Cakewalk is pretty much my favorite piece of piano music ever. When I was in high school I played for a few years, and while my overall level was never that high (I was playing out some Conservatory book at level 4 or 5), that one piece I practiced to kingdom come and could play pretty well (Conservatory book level 9!). Playing the piano really wasn't for me, but I do wish that I could still play that piece all the way through like I used to be able to. There are still bits that I can pull off, but they're getting uglier every year...

spineshark
02-17-2009, 10:31 AM
The main reason I never put much time into it before is that it's a really big pain to read. There's so many accidentals that I think I'll probably end up just learning the notes by ear.

MCBanjoMike
02-17-2009, 10:33 AM
The main reason I never put much time into it before is that it's a really big pain to read. There's so many accidentals that I think I'll probably end up just learning the notes by ear.

That's how I learned most of it! :)

Kirin
02-18-2009, 06:59 AM
Oh geez, I remember playing that piece, like, decades ago. (Literally. God I'm old.)

The weird thing is, I don't remember playing it more recently than that, which is odd, since I've occasioanlly skimmed back through my last few years of piano books from when I was taking lessons. I wonder what happened to it?

sraymonds
02-18-2009, 08:52 AM
I need to make a commitment to writing out this damn story that's in my head.

goddamn writer's block and hating myself

Balrog
02-18-2009, 09:22 AM
I need to make a commitment to writing out this damn story that's in my head.

You can do it, stingray!

Balrog
02-24-2009, 12:19 AM
I don't have any new tiles or enemies in there yet but this is a video of it in motion. Yes, I know _______ looks like crap but whatever, it's a work in progress. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaKIbb_qFhg)

Kirin
02-24-2009, 07:47 AM
Hey, there are some obvious animations it needs (jumping and such), but for starting out that looks pretty nice. You may have said this up-thread, but are you using an off-the-shelf engine for the physics and enemy manipulation or did you roll your own?

Balrog
02-24-2009, 08:24 AM
I rolled my own. I'm using some code from the XNA website to handle menus, pausing and such but that's it. Actually, most of the code I'm using is just recycled from previous stuff I worked on.

I'm working on new enemies and new animations for the player but the animation stuff is slow going.

Gredlen
02-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Balrog, I charge you with finishing something.
Specifically, finish reading this post I linked to earlier, so you can take nicer video of your game, dammit:
What you need to do is go to this topic (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=4443) and read either of the first two guides.

Balrog
02-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Okay, I'll try. I tried Fraps and something else but youtube rejected them so I gave up and went the quick and dirty route. I will reattempt.

Gredlen
02-24-2009, 04:31 PM
For capturing video, use CamStudio (there's a link in that thread). After that, you can encode it with MediaCoder or VirtualDub and you should be good to upload.

Balrog
02-24-2009, 07:28 PM
I used FRAPS and Media Coder to encode it. Thanks for the info. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwiRWx3WOYs)

reibeatall
02-24-2009, 07:28 PM
I wrote so much for chapter 2 that I'm having to split it into two chapters.

Huzzah!

Warg
02-25-2009, 12:22 AM
Despite still being pretty busy, I eked in some time to continue working on my pieces. I just about considered one of my pieces ready for recording & converting -- and then I figured out a way that I might be able to make my piece a bit better still.

It's a continuous learning process, this music making. I just hope it's to the liking of everyone here when I do post it -- though I'll be open to criticism.

By the way -- others have talked about posting music too. I know we have several other threads discussing music creation, music appreciation, etc -- but I don't think we really have a thread in which to share random works. So in the vein of the Random Arting Thread (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=193), when we're ready to post, should we make ours the Random Tooting Thread?

FRAPS Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwiRWx3WOYs)
Awesome to see!

Balrog
03-02-2009, 12:54 PM
I didn't work on it at all this week. I need to start alternating working/playing days so I can get back on track.

Sanagi
03-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Random Tooting Thread?
Hmm... How about "noodling?"

tungwene
03-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Project: Pair of watermelon socks
Deadline: End of March

Kirin
03-03-2009, 08:03 AM
You can make socks out of watermelons? This I've got to see.

Balrog
03-09-2009, 07:13 PM
I got some sprites and enemy functionality done this week and uploaded the video but youtube is dragging their feet processing it :(

EDIT:It's up now! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP6bXD2Jzeo)

Kirin
03-10-2009, 07:38 AM
The hourglass is adorable, and I like the towers. One suggestion: you might want to make the tower sides a slightly different shade from the other walls, to make it more obvious that you can walk in front of them. I dunno if that would mess up your limited-color-palette aesthetic, though...

Balrog
03-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Word. I'll recolor them, I needed something to contrast against the hourglass guys anyway.

keele864
03-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Project: Lose weight, get exercise. I'm still going to the gym and it's now March. This is good. And I've gotten faster on the erg (rowing) machine. I have more muscles and less fat. It's nice.

Warg
03-10-2009, 02:29 PM
So I've been experimenting on how to make one of my existing pieces sound a bit better. I've also begun yet another piece which has simpler instrumentation and will be shorter.

With the longer piece I was planning on -- well, given how busy I currently am & how much I still lack in terms of music composition skills, it might be a little too ambitious for me right now; so I'm leaving it until such a point that I can make it sound as polished as I want it to be. This newer, shorter piece will probably replace the longer piece as the one of three that I initially post. Since the three pieces I post will be pretty short -- well, I hope you'll all still find a bit of variety in 'em.

Another thing: I've previously been learning about how to make a piece sound as full as possible -- but now I find I'm having to restrict myself from excess. So, I've gotta work on finding a happy medium for a piece, between sounding too weak & sounding way too busy.

Random Tooting Thread?Hmm... How about "noodling?"
Well, see, that would depend. Could "noodling" simultaneously imply both (musical) creativity and flatulation?

Patrick
03-12-2009, 01:28 PM
For some reason or other I skipped over this thread earlier, but it's a great idea.

First of all: K. Nicholai, the stuff on your blog is adorable; Not from LOTR Balrog, your game looks completely sweet, and I hope that I can play it someday!

Secondly, here are my goals:

-I started a blog last week, and I want to update it at least every weekday. More posts is better, but mostly I want to go for substance. The topic is things that interest me. yes, it's vague, and I'm not going to make it public, it only exists so that I have some structure to my writing, and so that I can look back and see how well I have been doing. Maybe if I keep at it for a while I'll share a link to it sometime. Basically, I want to refine my voice as a blogger. My favorite blogs are Daring Fireball (http://daringfireball.net/), Wonkette (http://www.wonkette.com/), and Five Thirty Eight (http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/). They're very different in terms of content, but they each have strong unique voices. I think that's my main goal in writing: to be able to communicate in a way that is functional for any kind of message or information that I want to convey, but is still personal and unique to my personality.

-I got an iPhone in November, and I have been taking (fairly low resolution)pictures like crazy. I want to start a Flickr account, keep it updated on a weekly basis, and use some of the pictures as the beginning of blog posts.

-I want to read every day. When I was in high school, college, and when I worked at a bookstore for 4 years, I read a ton. I would often finish around 5 books a week. In the last year, I have hardly read any books at all, and it makes me sad to think about it. Over the last 2 months, I read through Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilobgy, and I started to get into the habit of reading on the train and during my lunch break, which is awesome. I don't even care how much I read or how long it takes to finish books, I just want reading to continue to be part of my life, and it's been surprisingly easy to let that slip.

-I want to buy a helmet, and to start riding my bike again. Two summers ago I got addicted to riding, and I want that to be the case again this year.

Basically, over the last two years I've getten a decent job, and I think I'm a lot more responsible, but I've let my creative side fall into decline. I want to get back my creativity, but to continue to be responsible too. I don't know whether that will happen or not, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

chronolink
03-16-2009, 03:04 PM
I got some sprites and enemy functionality done this week and uploaded the video but youtube is dragging their feet processing it :(

EDIT:It's up now! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP6bXD2Jzeo)

Balrog, your game looks awesome! It all looks and moves very NES-y, good job. What are you using to develop it? Did you make you own engine?

Balrog
03-16-2009, 03:29 PM
Balrog, your game looks awesome! It all looks and moves very NES-y, good job.
Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

What are you using to develop it?
I'm writing it with C# and XNA (a framework that works Windows and the XBOX 360). Eventually it will be on the Xbox Community Games, eventually. I'm also using a program called Mappy to make the maps(it's not fancy or anything but it's better than writing it myself).

Did you make you own engine?

Yeah, sort of. XNA does quite a bit to get things on screen. There's some code that manages pausing, screen transitions, menus that I took off the XNA site as a starting point. The rest of it is old code that I wrote for other stuff I never finished and some generic platforming code.

Kirin
03-17-2009, 08:07 AM
This makes me nostalgic for platforming code I've written in the past on platforms that are no longer viable. One was a 2D engine in HyperCard (has anyone written a HyperCard emulator for OSX yet? Man, there's a lot of old crap I'd love to get running.) and the other was a 3D engine on a Silicon Graphics O2.

Balrog
03-17-2009, 08:46 AM
This makes me nostalgic for platforming code I've written in the past on platforms that are no longer viable. One was a 2D engine in HyperCard (has anyone written a HyperCard emulator for OSX yet? Man, there's a lot of old crap I'd love to get running.) and the other was a 3D engine on a Silicon Graphics O2.

I miss writing BASIC code on my older brother's TRS-80 and by writing code I mean copying code out of a Radio Shack magazine :|

No new video this week. I made some new graphics and put them in the level but they look awful so I either need to scrap them altogether or make some transition tiles so they don't look so weird.

Red Hedgehog
03-17-2009, 04:08 PM

Wow, a 2D engine in Hypercard? That's pretty impressive. I managed to pull of some nice animation in Hypercard but never anything interactive.

I miss writing BASIC code on my older brother's TRS-80 and by writing code I mean copying code out of a Radio Shack magazine :|

Much of my elementary school free time from 3rd to 6th grade was writing BASIC code on the school's TRS-80s. I made about three text adventures in that time. A shame I never finished Astronut, but the disk is still sitting in my bedroom at my parents' place. Now if only to find a working TRS-80...

Kirin
03-18-2009, 08:21 AM
Wow, a 2D engine in Hypercard? That's pretty impressive. I managed to pull of some nice animation in Hypercard but never anything interactive.

Mind you I didn't say it was a *great* 2D engine, but it was functional. Jumping, gravity, collision with horizontal surfaces, an attack animation one square in front of your character that collided with enemies, enemies that could track you. That was about the extent of it. The enemies were all buttons with their own behavior coded in that moved themselves around. Player character was also a button, controlled by scripts in the stack that triggered on key-presses. I don't think I was doing any absolute timing, though, so it didn't scale well with processor speed - a common problem in HyperCard if you rely on the idle loop for anything.

Queen Possum
03-18-2009, 11:29 AM
I want to get my sewing room set up and organized to the point where I can actually justify taking commissions.

After that gargantuan task, everything else should be a breeze.

Done! Well, sorta. I just moved the sewing machine into my bedroom and organized all my notions/fabric/craft stuff. But its organized to the point I can actually do work now!

New goal: start working on costumes before August!

Warg
03-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Well -- all I can say right now is that the newer composition is progressing! Only thing is, I have a general idea of how I want the song to be structured -- but I'm still kinda lost in planning ahead for the exact notes & harmony.

I also want to get a new e-mail address set up for my musical ventures. I still need to research which other free e-mail hosts are out there besides the most common ones, with which I might already have an address set up.

Balrog
03-24-2009, 08:51 AM
New video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYahDM68KwI) There are some new tiles I'm not crazy about and a shooting enemy.

Gredlen
03-24-2009, 12:42 PM
The other day in my ICS class, the topic of making games came up in my group and one of the people in the group near us also started talking about it. I was like "Yeah, I know a guy who's making a game :cool:" and they thought that was awesome. So keep it up!

Balrog
03-24-2009, 02:19 PM
You'll have to strong arm them into buying it when it comes out in 2012.

Kate or Die!
03-25-2009, 11:56 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3445/3390821837_4cb8bea702_o.jpg

I’ve been glueing together organs from a ‘Visible Man’ kit for the organs of my jointed anatomy doll. I would have liked to sculpt the organs myself but knowing I’m such a perfectionist I wouldn’t be happy with my results.

Warg
03-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Still progressing with that supposedly shorter, simpler piece -- but it turns that, to get the composition as varied as I want it to be, it's going to be a little trickier to pull off than I initially thought.

Little more to do than to keep pushing ahead with it, though. Only thing is, I'm only composing in bits and pieces at a time, as I get ideas of what to put down next.

Sanagi
03-27-2009, 01:10 AM
I'm writing a concept album.

Danger and madness lie down that path, I know, but oh well, here goes nothing.

Pombar
03-27-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm gonna try and go back to playing Piano after 3 years. Whee.

DarkBlueFlannel
03-27-2009, 07:04 PM
In addition to my LP, which is consuming the lion's share of my time, I'm slowly getting started on a text-based RPG founded on the battle concepts of Persona 2.

Balrog
04-07-2009, 12:59 AM
New video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmH6NvAxbXo) I've been working on a bunch of uninteresting behind the scenes code but I did slap together a vertical level with pre-existing tiles. I made some new tiles but I haven't added them or whatever :\

Balrog
04-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Right click -> Save Target As (http://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/gameUpdate/King's%20Curse.mp3)

Something I've been working on or 10 seconds of noise repeated for 2 minutes :|

Stephen
04-08-2009, 01:10 AM
That beat is tite homie, just wait for my freestlye, I will blow the roof off this joint.

Violentvixen
04-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Okay, major projects are to stain the fence and build some sort of cover for a section of the backyard since it doesn't get as much sun as I thought so a garden won't work there.

The fence part will be easy, building an arbor or something is going to be a learning experience.

DarkBlueFlannel
04-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Right click -> Save Target As (http://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/gameUpdate/King's%20Curse.mp3)

Sounds like it needs a refrain. Just curiosity but what are you using to compose it?

Balrog
04-11-2009, 01:49 PM
It sounds like it needs a lot of things :( I'm using Famitracker.

Warg
04-18-2009, 12:27 AM

Hey Balrog -- just had a chance to listen to that piece. Oddly enough, when I tried to right-click & save that music link in Firefox, it would just kick me back to the referring page.

A few really-rough notes: I noticed you're using the triangle wave for the main tune. Though I've heard it work on occasion on other pieces -- generally, you'll actually want to use one of the two square waves instead, as you actually have control over tone (duty cycles) & volume with 'em. With the triangle wave, the volume settings are pretty much ON/OFF, and you can only get one tone color from it.

On a related note, the triangle wave actually works great for a richer-sounding bassline. So that's what you might want to keep in mind when using it.

I don't know if you're putting in your note stops in the instrument volume settings or in the channel directly -- but one thing you can do to make the square channels sound richer is to not have the channel drop to zero volume, or to do so as sparingly as possible. Instead, drop the square wave volume to a setting of 1, 2, 3, or 4. That way, the last note gives something of a simple manual echo effect.

What you'll want to do instead for the triangle wave, since you can't control volume settings there, is to use note stops effectively there (pressing semicolon in the channel directly). I normally put them for one note at least right before the next note, if not sooner.

And as far as the tune itself -- it's just a matter of further developing it. Play around with the song in your head during any personal downtimes you might have. See how you might be able to imagine it longer, more detailed, maybe even more elabroate. If you get a great idea, see if you can grab a voice recorder & record yourself humming that tune, or the different parts of that tune.

On my own progress -- I feel I'm getting ever closer to completing these three pieces, but I'd still like to polish two of them some more.

That, and I'd like to make a really short fourth bit-of-a-piece, just to demonstrate how much I've learned from just playing around in FamiTracker.

Sanagi
04-18-2009, 02:41 AM
I've just started poking around famitracker myself and would love any random bits of advice anyone would care to share. I'm developing ambitions of becoming one of those people who gets on stage and plugs in a NES.

On the composing process - An important step for me is to make an mp3 and put it on my ipod. Then, over weeks or months, I listen to it whenever the mood strikes and decide what's working and what isn't. Fix it, make a new mp3, repeat until everything feels right.

DarkBlueFlannel
04-25-2009, 05:13 PM
I had the idea to make a Pen & Paper RPG system a while back. The project was to create something that was very simple to learn and write scenarios for that had only one all-encompassing system that could handle any "challenge" or situation the characters came up against. I got into it for a while but never finished. Now, I'm tempted to revive it.

I'm hesitant to post the specifics of it at the moment. But, I'm curious to know if anyone thinks there's a market for it. Does anyone, like me, feel that RPGs having obtuse rulesets is the only reason you don't play them?

Sanagi
04-25-2009, 05:24 PM
RPGs having obtuse rulesets is probably the only way to market them, sadly. If the game is easy to understand, you don't need to buy the $30 book that explains it.

I have thought about introducing some of my board game friends to RPGs using a scenario where they don't have to worry about rules at all.

DarkBlueFlannel
04-25-2009, 05:34 PM
I used the wrong term. What I meant to say was, would there be a potential audience? I don't ever, really, expect to make money off of it.

Nevertheless, there is much in what you say.

Balrog
04-27-2009, 10:08 AM
The Left 4 Dead patch killed all my momentum :'I

Balrog
05-09-2009, 12:05 AM
New video with added stuff. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwLAUVIc9ts) I had to rewrite a bunch of the engine to get it running at a halfway decent speed on the 360 and I still have a bunch to do but, you know, progress.

Lobst
05-09-2009, 08:07 AM
EDIT: Moved after a friendly suggestion from a comrade of mine.

Warg
05-13-2009, 04:07 AM
So I've resigned myself to the idea that, if I wanted to get any chiptunes posted, I'm probably going to have to do it one piece at a time, as opposed to the previous plan of doing three or four initially.

I'm currently working on one 2a03 piece to get it uploaded. I'm pretty certain that I'll remain happy with how it's composed -- but I've come across yet another beast entirely: equalization.

I recorded my piece plain, without any equalization of the sort -- and I was initially happy with how it sounded. Then I happened to compare it to some of Jake Kaufman's recorded chiptune pieces. Holy crap, they sounded far clearer -- and my recorded piece sounded really muffled by comparison. [Edit: And, well, his pieces are also far more detailed -- but hey, I'm taking this process of learning step-by-step. That, and I'm aiming more for a Capcom-style sound with this first piece anyway.]

So now I'm trying to process the original source through Winamp's equalizer, listening through a Creative Sound Blaster USB box (model SB0270) & my set of somewhat-functioning Shure E2c earbuds (with oxidized cables & a currently-touchy left channel which takes a while to get working). I have to admit that I haven't really played much with equalizers before, so I'm going through this the same way I've pretty much gone through everything else here so far: play around with it a lot, compare the results to a certain ideal, tweak & repeat. And thus far, I've gotten it to sound clearer -- but some parts also sound much more shrill. I try to balance things out, but then it just starts to sound really boxy.

Man, I just hope I can get this right eventually. I'll see if I can dig up some good sources on equalization theory, too.

Warg
05-28-2009, 08:08 AM
Just a note here, after a couple of weeks:

I acquired some somewhat-on-clearance Shure SE110s to replace my breaking Shure E2Cs -- which allowed me to begin pay attention to my music again without having to constantly fiddle with the left ear channel to make it work. And I'm not gonna make the same mistake as I did with the E2Cs; I'm going to make sure that everything I need for the warranty can be easily found, should I ever need to use it.

On the EQ front -- I found that WinAMP's 10-band realtime graphic equalizer is great for figuring out what a few limited frequencies do, especially when they're pushed to each extreme. But from what I've been reading & viewing from the equalization tutorials I've found, a parabolic equalizer would actually serve me much better. Thankfully, the wonderful open-source Audacity has one, so I've recorded an unequalized WAV file of the source, and I've slowly been experimenting with it while trying to dig deeper into those EQ tutorials.

Admittedly, though, I haven't been spending my time lately as efficiently as I could be. I [i]have been a bit occupied -- but I don't know if it really should've been to the point where I let the rest of my personal time become less productive. In any case, I need to get back into maximizing the effectiveness of my time, in which I'd also be working toward other personal goals beyond making music.

pence
05-28-2009, 08:27 AM
In my limited experience, the quickest way to make music sound 10 times better is to drop the gain in the 500Hz range.

Balrog
05-28-2009, 08:35 AM
In recent weeks I've added sound, jumping animations, basic puzzle functionality, health system and a new small section. I'll make a video once I add a some polish to it, I'm not happy with some of the new graphics yet :\

Warg
05-28-2009, 08:43 AM
In my limited experience, the quickest way to make music sound 10 times better is to drop the gain in the 500Hz range.

I'll try that for this piece I'm focusing on. I was experimenting with all available frequencies on Winamp's graphic EQ -- but with this parabolic equalizer, I've mainly been experimenting mainly around the 1K Hz frequency & not much else in the midrange. I guess I really need to practice some of those freedoms afforded by this kind of an EQ. [EDIT: What I have at least done, though, is dramatically drop the inaudible frequencies.]

I'm not happy with some of the new graphics yet :\
Out of curiosity -- do you do pencil sketches first of a rough figure you want to pixel in? Or do you go at it first with whatever pixel program you use?

Balrog
05-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Out of curiosity -- do you do pencil sketches first, of a rough figure you want to pixel in? Or do you go at it first with whatever pixel program you use?

You edited your post but yeah I'm tightening up the graphics on level three.

I normally just dive in and start pixeling. If I do something larger I'll probably draw it first but who knows, I'm fond of winging it.

Balrog
05-30-2009, 09:23 AM
New video with stuff (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF95pAXxR8E) - Media Coder threw the sound off sync but other than that it's good times.

MCBanjoMike
05-30-2009, 08:13 PM
New video with stuff (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF95pAXxR8E) - Media Coder threw the sound off sync but other than that it's good times.

Just watched the video, the part after you go through the door is totally sweet. My suggestion would be to cut the frames of animation during jumps where the king raises his arms and skip straight to when they're all the way up (or maybe have one frame between standing and full jumping). Otherwise it takes too long for him to complete the movement and it looks unnatural. Also, the screwed up eyes when he's carrying something are really cute.

mr_bungle700
05-31-2009, 12:58 AM
Yeah, he's totally rockin' the the >.< face. I love it.

So how are the sound effects working out for you, Balrog? I think the the jump, damage and door ones fit pretty well, but should I rework the spitting sound? It's kind of cute the way it is, but I can add more oomph to it if you want.

Balrog
05-31-2009, 01:40 AM
Just watched the video, the part after you go through the door is totally sweet. My suggestion would be to cut the frames of animation during jumps where the king raises his arms and skip straight to when they're all the way up (or maybe have one frame between standing and full jumping). Otherwise it takes too long for him to complete the movement and it looks unnatural. Also, the screwed up eyes when he's carrying something are really cute.

Thanks! I decreased the number of milliseconds for the first three frames and it looks a lot better. That'll be in the next vid.

Yeah, he's totally rockin' the the >.< face. I love it.

So how are the sound effects working out for you, Balrog? I think the the jump, damage and door ones fit pretty well, but should I rework the spitting sound? It's kind of cute the way it is, but I can add more oomph to it if you want.

The shooting sound is my favorite :I

mr_bungle700
05-31-2009, 02:33 AM
Okay then! I was just checkin'. I can make other sound effects in that same vein, too.

Ruik
05-31-2009, 03:34 PM

Wow, that looks fantastic. If I might give a little constructive criticism, the black cannonballs are a bit hard to see against the grey background. When they're at the end of their arc and the white reflection on them is intensified, they become a lot easier to see. I would just suggest brightening that reflection for their earlier animation frames as well.

disclaimer: i'm no expert

Balrog
05-31-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, it is kinda heard to see against the darker background, I think I'll increase that reflection and make it a bit bigger.

Warg
06-12-2009, 09:46 AM
... and how about that -- after a lot of learning & tweaking, well, I finally posted something (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?p=493265#post493265).

May it be the first of many, and may I keep finding ways to improve each time.

EDIT: And in standard newbie fashion, I earlier said parabolic equalizers when I should've said parametric. ... yeah.

mr_bungle700
06-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Excellent! I'll check it out later and it better be awesome or else.

May it be the first of many, and may I keep finding ways to improve each time.

Yes! Always improving, always learning, and always trying new things. That's how you get better. I have the same philosophy.

spineshark
06-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Oh man it's been a while since I posted here. Still haven't gotten anything I'm really working on worth recording (I could do some stuff I learned a couple years back), but the Brahms is coming along. I get the feeling it goes somewhat faster than I'm playing it now though...

New side addition too, I'm hashing out a piano arrangement of "3y3s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eaSUZWlVrw)". It's going to be pretty cool, but I'm doing it a lot because it's easy >_>

Dizzy
06-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Wow. 3y3s sounds intense. I'd be interested as how you would pull that off on a piano.

Balrog
06-21-2009, 04:11 PM
New video...new stuff... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7dLFV-yluc)

This is the next section. I've got a completed version of the descent from the tower but it's not fun so I'll post a video when it sucks less.

Knight
06-21-2009, 04:20 PM

This is the next section. I've got a completed version of the descent from the tower but it's not fun so I'll post a video when it sucks less.
Looking good! I love the little drill dude, and how the king just looks kind of bored while riding him. I'm sure you know this already, but I think the rock tiles need some work, and the boulders would really benefit from having a shattering animation.

Balrog
06-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Looking good! I love the little drill dude, and how the king just looks kind of bored while riding him. I'm sure you know this already, but I think the rock tiles need some work, and the boulders would really benefit from having a shattering animation.

Thanks for the advice, will do!

Little Sampson
06-21-2009, 07:55 PM

It's looking really good! I assume there are going to be other enemies like the drill that you'll need to help you get through the level, which is really neat.

Do you know if the music in that video is going to be the final music?

Balrog
06-21-2009, 08:55 PM
It's looking really good! I assume there are going to be other enemies like the drill that you'll need to help you get through the level, which is really neat.
Yeah. Probably just guys walking around though.

Do you know if the music in that video is going to be the final music?

I think so. mr_bungle700 did all the music and sound effects thus far.

Kirin
06-22-2009, 07:18 AM
The mechanic of using the drill to destroy rocks both above and below you is fan-fucking-tastic. Just having a solid platformer is nice and all, but new mechanics that haven't been used to death elsewhere should be great for drawing people in.

Balrog
06-22-2009, 09:35 AM
The mechanic of using the drill to destroy rocks both above and below you is fan-fucking-tastic. Just having a solid platformer is nice and all, but new mechanics that haven't been used to death elsewhere should be great for drawing people in.

Yeah, I thought Ducktales was the only game that used that kind of mechanic but someone on XBL last night told my that a game in the next retro game challenge called Demon Returns uses a similar mechanic where you ride on enemies after they've been hit. **SIGH**

Kirin
06-23-2009, 07:42 AM
Now you've made me sad again that RGC2 isn't being localized yet. :(

But still, Duck Tales, RGC2, and you is certainly not bad company. I don't think the market is flooded yet.

Warg
08-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Well, it's been close to a couple months since we've last visited this thread, and we're about 5/8s into the year now -- but I'm sure we still have goals to accomplish for the year's somewhat-of-a-second-half!

How's everyone doing with their projects? Or, if you're not doing well, what can you do to get back on track? Or what new projects might you have?

I'm still messing around with music composition myself. I do still have two pieces that are ready to be recorded and taped -- but given that I also want to record videos of how I play those pieces, I need to figure out how to mess with video editing software first.

But that's kinda not a high priority right now. Right now, there's another project that I need to do in three weeks (for something more local, which I might share later in the year, depends) -- and I anticipate myself using all the free time I can devote to it in those few weeks. I've already written my planned timeline; and, so, I need to whisk away to doing it!

Balrog
08-13-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm still working on my game but I haven't done anything video-worthy in a while. Once I finish the boss battle I'll either post a video or a demo or something.

Sanagi
08-13-2009, 09:42 PM
I've written about half of a concept album but I've postponed work on it because it's too ambitious for my current recording abilities.

Balrog
08-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Here's the 1st boss and a new enemy type. The rock tiles are just place holders so, you know, whatevs. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrmbcg-nEpU)

Gredlen
08-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Antigravity Squid is the best enemy ever.

wumpwoast
08-23-2009, 02:25 PM
I finished my record-label website (http://www.codaworry.com) -- you guys are the first to know publicly. Now I just need to finish some music!

Ben1842
08-23-2009, 02:44 PM
I've completed 2 years of making Video Game Take-Out. :)

Now I'm on to year 3.
I'm also working on the podcast (as always).

SilentSnake
09-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Okay, I now have a clear goal. After some careful consideration, I've decided I want to get a job as a game programmer at a game company. So 2009 will be dedicated to taking steps towards that. It's really intimidating, as I have really vague ideas of what I need to do but nothing coherent. I know I need a good resume and cover letter, but I guess I also need some sort of gameish thing I made to show off my coding skills? And I need to bone up on all topics with game programming, as I don't know what specifically will be on the tests companies give currently. Yeah there's a lot to consider. And if I don't get something by 2010, I'll grab a regular programming job around here until I can get something else.

...yeah this is intimidating as all hell. It's what I always wanted since I got into gaming. Being this fuzzy on what I need to do to accomplish my dream isn't a position I'm comfortable with, but hopefully I'll learn as I go. We'll see how it goes!

Balrog
10-21-2009, 10:15 PM
I made a rough draft of some of the people talking in the town after the curse is lifted here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jovmypdq5qo)

taidan
10-21-2009, 10:28 PM
I don't know what specifically will be on the tests companies give currently.

Last time I tried, it had questions on physics, networking, and a bit about speedy rendering.

Balrog
10-22-2009, 02:50 PM
If anyone wants to be a poorly pixelated person in the game just shoot me a PM with a pic and I'll do my best.

Ruik
10-22-2009, 02:59 PM
If anyone wants to be a poorly pixelated person in the game just shoot me a PM with a pic and I'll do my best.

I DO! Can't send a picture till I get home later today though.

Warg
12-31-2009, 02:20 PM
So it's the last day the year here! How did you all feel about your progress toward your projects & goals in 2009?

There were other goals that I didn't mention here that I sadly didn't reach -- but, with music composition, I'm actually fairly satisfied with how I did. Sure, I only uploaded four really-short songs this year, though I did pretty much get to the point where, after a song randomly pops up in my head, I can run to some place where I can jot it down -- or I at least hold the thought as long as I can -- much in the same way I write down any other note or doodle a little sketch. The songs aren't all upload-worthy, but I've at least gotten a fair amount of practice in developing a musical idea when I feel I'm onto something. And while I'm still not at all where I want to be in terms of polish, I still feel satisfied thus far with how much I've learned to do so.

I didn't get around to composing music for a freeware game, as I had said I wanted to at the beginning of the year, despite having an opportunity to do so with the Assemblee competition at TIGSource. Thing is, at the time that it came -- much as I wanted to participate, I felt my time needed to be put to more important things. I'm at least happy that I was make a short title song for the forum's podcast, though. I suppose I'm just going to have to train myself to compose [i]faster.

I primarily used FamiTracker & KORG DS-10 this year. And just this month, I learned about the SiON software PSG (http://blog.jactionscripters.com/2009/10/02/sion-released/) for Flash 10 from the IndieGames blog (http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2009/12/browser_app_picks_sion140_and.html). Given that my save slots are all full in my KORG DS-10 card, and given that I can't really use FamiTracker right now with Windows a bit on the fritz (such that I'm currently using an Ubuntu CD) -- within the past couple days, I finally started exploring how to write Music Macro Language (MML) for SiON (http://mmltalks.appspot.com/document/siopm_mml_ref_05_e.html).

So, I just need to make the next year productive, as far as my creative goals & other personal goals I have. But how about the rest of you? How do you feel about your goals from this year, and how do you feel about the next? [Balrog, you made some pretty good progress on that game.]

Balrog
12-31-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm semi-satisfied with what I completed, I just wish I had more of it done. I'm swearing off games (Advance Wars by Web aside) for a couple months to get back on track. We'll see how that works out :\

Violentvixen
12-31-2009, 08:03 PM
I think life will mainly be taken over by adjusting to the new house and projects created by it. I know I'll need to stain the fence in spring and probably replant the grass. I'd like to get a vegetable garden going as well.

Other than that, paying down credit cards. I spent six months of 2008 paying rent on two places so I've racked up a lot more than I'm comfortable with (although I'm pretty dang proud of surviving it since after paying both I only had about $200 of my paycheck left each month). January is the last month of that so I plan on putting as much as possible towards paying the cards off.

There's still one section of the fence we didn't finish staining due to money constraints, not time/effort. I can deal with that.

I survived this year financially and stuff is mostly paid off. Next goal is to pay off my car as rapidly as possible.

Oh man how did I forget to list the guitar stuff. I've had mine for almost four years now and haven't played consistently for more than three months at a time.

I think I only played once this year. Ugh.

Looked into driving schools and asked a few coworkers, no luck here.

Okay, major projects are to stain the fence and build some sort of cover for a section of the backyard since it doesn't get as much sun as I thought so a garden won't work there.

Registered for a sun shade thing.