PDA

View Full Version : Durandal Part One: Lh'owon, Volunteers, Garrison

Parish
08-05-2007, 05:59 PM
http://www.gamespite.net/img/blogart/0708aug/lhowon.jpg

Durandal is broken into eight chapters (well, nine, but "Captured" hardly counts), but the story really falls into three acts: The exploration of Lh'owon, the race against Tycho, and the summoning of the S'pht'Kr.

The first act is the largest in terms of levels, although these tend to be simpler than many of the later areas, and the plot feels vague and unfocused. That's presumably by design -- as Durandal's lackey, you're performing his dirty work as he searches for something. But exactly what he's seeking... well, he's not entirely certain.

As an introduction to the game, these chapters make perhaps a few too many assumptions. The level goals can be a bit abstract, and Bungie sort of drops you into the deep end expecting you to swim. Compared to, say, the first few levels of Doom 2, The Lh'owon missions feature large, tricky environments. But that's kind of Marathon's style.

Let's chat about this for a while before moving on to part two, shall we?

reibeatall
08-05-2007, 06:13 PM
I like the shooting of the aliens. The whole exploring thing doesn't quite do it for me yet. Maybe it's just that there's no map, but I'm having trouble following these levels. In the real world, I'm amazing with directions and remembering where places are, but on Lh'owon, I'm a bumbling idiot. I seriously just ran around the SAME ROOM for about five minutes before I realized that there was actually an exit there.

As somebody who hasn't played a Marathon game before, I have no idea what is going on; however, this
...the plot feels vague and unfocused. That's presumably by design...
makes me feel better about not knowing.

The game also feels like if I knew my way around the levels that I could finish them pretty quickly. Very short, but weirdly enough, they're large. If that makes any sense.

Edit: Also, is the entire surface of the world covered with wax? I'm sliding all over the place.

Eusis
08-05-2007, 06:24 PM
If you're playing the X360 version, pressing the D-pad left/right summons up the map. Up and down zooms and unzooms.

reibeatall
08-05-2007, 06:25 PM
If you're playing the X360 version, pressing the D-pad left/right summons up the map. Up and down zooms and unzooms.

If you were in front of me, I'd make out with you. HOW DID I NOT KNOW THAT?

Traumadore
08-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Just got to the first level of Volunteers, it's been sort of tricky, but the information consoles are really key to continuing, they act as teleporters in many cases, and don't forget to check each one you see, sometimes they even activate in areas you have already visited which took me the longest time to figure out ( do to the same-y looking areas I would assume I had already read what a console had to say when it was the one I needed to continue)

Coolest part so far was my underwater fistfight with 4 aliens! I am having a much better time than with the first game anyway, maybe due to the "being dropped right into the thick of it" aspect.

Sarcasmorator
08-05-2007, 06:40 PM
If you were in front of me, I'd make out with you. HOW DID I NOT KNOW THAT?

Because you don't read the damn instructions, do you?

Jakanden
08-05-2007, 06:52 PM
As somebody who hasn't played a Marathon game before, I have no idea what is going on;

Well, to be fair, you are jumping into the middle of the story. If you are interested, you can head over here (http://marathon.bungie.org/story/) and catch up. The story in Marathon really is one of the best parts of the series. If you have any specific questions, ask. I think there are a number of us here who have played them before.

EDIT: I debated about picking this up simply because I have played it on both the PC and Mac previously. I said "screw it" since I saw a number of TT members on my friends list playing it and I don't regret it. It is indeed nice to play it on a big screen, and while I still prefer mouse and keyboard, the Halo controls work perfectly for this game (Gee I wonder why).

Yeah - this game still kicks ass.

Gredlen
08-05-2007, 07:02 PM
I haven't played much Durandal since the day I purchased it. I was actually wondering what to do today to occupy the time before I meet up with my friends, but thanks to the GAMESPITE FUN CLUB I know now to play more Durandal!

I enjoyed punching everything to hell in the first level. I really did. I obtained a great feeling of satisfaction as I launched those floating security droids halfway across the room with my fists. It doesn't seem to be quite so easy by the second level, however, to decimate those green sideways-mouth monsters with my bare hands. This is unfortunate!

I tried playing the original a little while earlier on my PC, but I just didn't feel comfortable with the controls. Plus I might have been a tiny bit scared of things popping up from behind me in dark corridors. Maybe. Then this game came out and, for some reason, the combination of a Xbox 360 controller with a bigger screen makes me feel all gung-ho.

Traumadore
08-05-2007, 07:09 PM
If you want to dual wield pistols like a badass, you must kill BoBs. The Durandevil commands it.

reibeatall
08-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Ok, so I'm on the first level of Garrison, and I'm about stuck. I have enough health to survive ONE shot, and after that I'm toast. It's getting really aggrivating.

Parish
08-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Oh man, always make a new save when you get to a new level. There'll be times when you don't have access to a health port for a while and nothing sucks more than getting stuck with about zero health. This ain't Halo. How far into the level are you? If go left from the entrance at the beginning and double back around, you'll find a one-time red health pickup on a cliff next to some ammo. It's not much but it should be enough to get you to the two yellow pickups in the underwater tunnels.

The waxy floor phenomenon is the only complaint I have about the controls. Since you can't jump, stepping up to a slightly higher surface sort of "launches" you into the air a little bit. This makes navigating stairs insanely annoying. The trick is to approach them slowly -- if you move to a higher or lower surface while walking, you keep better control over yourself. Of course, that's really not much help when you're under heavy fire.

Regarding the plot's vagueness, it does start to pick up in the second chapter once you realize that Durandal does have an objective and you begin exploring the S'pht ruins. The cryptic messages on the ancient computers can require a bit of thought to parse, but it's interesting to piece together the final messages of a dying race.

The Garrison levels are definitely the highlight of this batch, especially Curiouser and Curiouser (for its size) and Ex Cathedra (because Durandal's contempt for the Pfhor's religion is so amusing).

Ben1842
08-05-2007, 07:57 PM
because I don't want to get motion sickness lol. Hopefully they can fix it because I wanted to play it but now I'm not so sure.

Jakanden
08-05-2007, 08:06 PM
I made it to "Come And Take Your Medicine" before calling it quits for the night as it has been a long day,

I will surely be playing tomorrow (that and/or Dead Rising) though and I might be down for some multi as I need some achievements.

Eusis
08-05-2007, 08:08 PM
I mentioned this in the original thread, but how about turning on camera bobbing in addition to turning down the sensitivity? I'm not sure whether I really got motion sickness or not, but it didn't feel right when I turned the camera bob back off experimentally, and I've felt fine with, uhh, marathon playing with it on.

I got over my burnout from the co-op (this thread may be to thank) and am on Curiouser and Curiouser. But I think I'll have to go use my save from the previous stage because I'm in the situation Parish outlined, next to no health and no recharge stations that I can easily locate.

bobservo
08-05-2007, 08:13 PM
I can't seem to turn down mouse sensitivity, even though the option is there. Does anyone know how to fix this?

reibeatall
08-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Actually, yeah, turning on camera bob helped a lot.

Anyway, I'm on Nuke and Pave, and I turned it off for a while. I've got two more levels to beat before I can make my final decision on Part One. I'll try to beat them tonight, since they don't take too long.

cortbassist89
08-05-2007, 09:03 PM
I'm so confused, when you change maps does that count as a new level?

Mightyblue
08-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Yeah, if the map title changes on the map screen, it's a new level. Got to Charon Doesn't Make Change and called it a night. I like the game, but playing it on my laptop is carpal tunnel inducing. I'll see if I can't finagle some way to get my 360 controller to work with Aleph One tomorrow.

Traumadore
08-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Yeah whenever durandal teleports you it counts as a new level. Though playing on the PC there doesnt seem to be any way to select a level or to save between levels, you basically have to play until you find a save point, which can be tricky on one or two of the maps.

Also, I just beat Curiouser and Curiouser, so I'm done with my homework for the next few days it looks like! I hope I get an A.

To anyone leery about trying this I beat approximately a third of the game in about 3 hours, so it's really not too bad at all. And I even had plenty of bad mistakes.

TIP: you can use the grenade launcher to flip switches from afar, I had to look this up because I was stuck on Nuke and Pave, and you also have to use it on the following level. Also any panel you can't activate, try breaking it with your fists.

cortbassist89
08-05-2007, 09:21 PM
I'm playing on a laptop too, and altho I have a mouse, I opted to just use keyboard controls, and set up what I find to be a key equivalent to a dual shock. Me likey.

Tomorrow I'll mess with configuring the mouse/keys combo.

I'm either on level 3 or 4 then. I think I may have missed some key ammo, bc I didn't know a few consoles were going to teleport me when they did lol.

Traumadore
08-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Ammo is not a problem in general.

Parish
08-05-2007, 10:50 PM
I'll see if I can't finagle some way to get my 360 controller to work with Aleph One tomorrow.
Don't bother. I spent a day doing precisely that and it never worked for me... not even close.
you can use the grenade launcher to flip switches from afar, I had to look this up because I was stuck on Nuke and Pave, and you also have to use it on the following level. Also any panel you can't activate, try breaking it with your fists.
The charged plasma pistol, rocket launcher and alien rifle also work. (Better, actually, since they don't have a decaying trajectory.) The shotgun does work but the spread over a distance makes it impractical unless you're at middle-range.

Also, I just played a few stages on the highest difficulty setting to see how I fared, and I have to say the statement "ammo is not a problem" is a filthy lie.

Mightyblue
08-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Well, nuts then. Guess I'll have to play this one on my desktop with a real keyboard, since I was hurting my wrist trying to move and shoot at the same time on this tiny laptop keyboard. Urgh.

Eusis
08-05-2007, 11:17 PM
Marathon works pretty nicely for the now-established WASD + Mouse setup. Then again, I suppose there's the issue of whether you're comfortable with it or not.

I beat Curiouser and Curiouser, I'm enjoying myself as expected. I think I'll switch over to Castlevania for now and give it another playthrough. I should do better than the first time.

Mightyblue
08-05-2007, 11:41 PM
I realize that much, but my laptop only has a rather dinky and aggravating to use touchpad. I don't think I need to elaborate on how much that sucks to use in FPSs.

Traumadore
08-06-2007, 12:05 AM
Oh, I die plenty on the normal difficulty from non-ammunition related worries.

So far, I would have to say that it has me pretty engrossed for a 3D game of it's age, and it does feel quite natural with Aleph One's mouse and keyboard option available. I wish I could play it on Xbox since I like the more organic feel of FPSs with a console controller.

The environments are actually far more believable than what I have played in the first game ( I believe I got about halfway through.) The marathon colony ship seemed to have alot of booby traps and absurd inexplicable crushing pistons in many rooms and hallways ala Galaxy Quest. Not to mention rooms where the floor would plummet 70 feet below in the blink of an eye. There also seem to be fewer extremely dark, clausterphobic mazes of tiny halls and ventilation ducts packed to the brim with ambushers. Also those hulking huge aliens in the first game were no fun and they seem to be absent. I am glad for these things.

All in all the alien ruins of Durandal seem to make alot more sense to me and they are in general alot less weird.

Eusis
08-06-2007, 12:10 AM
I realize that much, but my laptop only has a rather dinky and aggravating to use touchpad. I don't think I need to elaborate on how much that sucks to use in FPSs.
Yeah, I kinda figured you'd need a mouse plugged in or something in the case of a laptop.

Savathun
08-06-2007, 05:04 AM
I'm only on maybe the third level, but it's a pretty big improvement over Marathon, graphically.

And I'm sure if I were in the protagonist's position, I'd be a bit annoyed, but I can't help but love Durandal. "Introducing them to the magic of orbital bombardment," indeed.

EDIT: I was playing the beginning of What About BOB? and had cleared out the room. Naturally, I had already read this thread and seen the mention of killing BOBs to duel wield. So, one guy was slow to be teleported, and before he finished shouting "Take us up," I had blown him away and taken his gun.

Then I went around the corner and found another pistol just lying there, next to the corpse of a guy I DIDN'T kill.

I'm a monster.

cortbassist89
08-06-2007, 07:59 AM
You're no monster Brandon. Monsters are those damn green walking vaginas with teeth. What are they called?

I need a name to yell when in frustration.

Jakanden
08-06-2007, 08:07 AM
The Fl'ickta

Excitemike
08-06-2007, 08:11 AM
I'm a monster.

Well, yeah, but not because of that.

My keyboard ate my attempts to comment yesterday. I actually don't know where I am, somewhere in the second act. I think I mentioned this in another thread, but I had to replay the first four levels when I found that all I had left was grenades. So, nuts to the idea of ammo not being a concern. I thought I had read somewhere that ammo was unlimited on the highest difficulty, but I haven't tried it yet. This is the most time I've ever spent with a FPS (not a keyboard/mouse guy). I don't have a frame of reference to compare with, other than I know that I am enjoying it. So take my unqualified criticisms with a grain of salt.

By biggest complaint is something that applies to all XBLA games: No manual. If there is a place online I can go to that will give me a better understanding of how these games work, I would ask you to very kindly point me in that direction. The reason I got stuck with no ammo is because I didn't know that the rifle also fired grenades. Interfacing with Durandal is very charming, if a bit vague. I thought the F'likta (sp?) were those sort of pod things that float around. You know, the things that don't attack you. Because a terminal told me they were gentle creature who clean the waterways. If the terminal said they were gentle creatures who look like Swamp Thing with giant mouths in their chests that I guess fling their poop at you, then I might have been on the same page. It's like an FPS with just a pinch of text adventure. I don't want to get too far ahead, but piecing together the background of the world is a clever incentive to explore each map. I may go back and replay these levels tonight to see if I missed anything. Only five saves? Really?

As to nauseousness: to each his own. I find head bobbing to be extremely disorientating. This game moves as smooth as silk, and I turned the sensitivity up to take advantage of it. I also made a wise investment over the weekend: a 360 VGA cable. Guys, this is high-def gaming on a small budget. The only drawback is that I keep thinking I can print screen.

cortbassist89
08-06-2007, 08:16 AM
*disappointed sigh* F'ing Fl'ickta doesn't roll off my tongue nearly as well as F'ing Elite.

Jakanden
08-06-2007, 08:54 AM
I thought the F'likta (sp?) were those sort of pod things that float around. You know, the things that don't attack you. Because a terminal told me they were gentle creature who clean the waterways. If the terminal said they were gentle creatures who look like Swamp Thing with giant mouths in their chests that I guess fling their poop at you, then I might have been on the same page.

I am fairly certain (http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/marathon-2-durandal/screenshots/gameShotId,173814/) they are Fl'ickta and I have always known them as such. I could be wrong though and it wouldn't the be the first time a long-held thought of mine was wrong heh.

Parish
08-06-2007, 09:06 AM
I thought I had read somewhere that ammo was unlimited on the highest difficulty, but I haven't tried it yet.
No, no -- there's no max limit on how much ammo you can hold on Total Carnage. But actual ammo itself is a different story, at least until you reach an armory area.

Because a terminal told me they were gentle creature who clean the waterways. If the terminal said they were gentle creatures who look like Swamp Thing with giant mouths in their chests that I guess fling their poop at you, then I might have been on the same page.
You misread -- the word "gentle" is not used anywhere. In fact...

We have explored many of the surrounding caves, but continually find the combative creatures the S'pht call F'lickta.
Maybe you were thinking of this?

We are leaving behind many F'lickta to keep the ducts clean and working. They should be able to build one of their stable societies here- there is plenty of food.

We would ask that if another clan comes here that they would respect these creatures and leave them to continue their work and preserve our home on Lh'owon.
Not gentle, just tidy. You know... for muck-monsters. I think the little floating things are called Ticks. In the third game, they sometimes behave like simulacrums -- they fly into your face and explode. Bastards.

Only five saves? Really?
I had six on mine, so... no.

Excitemike
08-06-2007, 09:36 AM
I had six on mine, so... no.

Five of one, half dozen of another.

I would have bet money they were described as gentle. That's just my assumption about what makes a society stable, I guess. When I hear "tidy" I can't help but imagine Felix Unger, and who is more gentle than him?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d25/eye_robot/miscellaneous/oddcouple.jpg

Which one of these men would you shoot?

Savathun
08-06-2007, 09:53 AM
You can't shoot either of them without making a mess. It'd look like a wall covered in spaghetti.

Anyway, the lessons I learned in Marathon are really helping me breeze through this one. You know, for 2/3rds of the first game, I never thought to check that there was an automap or to go back to the same terminals I'd already been to in order to finish a level.

Of course, none of that prepared me for the level immediately after What about BOB, where I saw a Sph't or S'pht or wherever the apostrophe goes guy standing in front of a terminal calmly with no intentions of attacking me. So I'm reading the thing and suddenly something hits me and kills me and I'm almost sure it was that same devious bastard who had been standing there the whole time.

Mightyblue
08-06-2007, 10:06 AM
You kinda forgot about the golden rule: Shoot first, and keep shooting.

Excitemike
08-06-2007, 10:09 AM
I do not expect to be attacked while reading text. The motion sensor staying on screen is kind of a dead giveaway, though.

Savathun
08-06-2007, 10:12 AM
I need to use that motion sensor more, but for some reason, I never even glance at it.

Jakanden
08-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Yeah you want to make sure you cleared the area before reading the terminals. I have been killed before from that as well.

P.S. This thread has made me want to leave work early today to go home and play. Damn you!

Parish
08-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Of course, none of that prepared me for the level immediately after What about BOB, where I saw a Sph't or S'pht or wherever the apostrophe goes guy standing in front of a terminal calmly with no intentions of attacking me. So I'm reading the thing and suddenly something hits me and kills me and I'm almost sure it was that same devious bastard who had been standing there the whole time.
Yeah, terminals froze time in Marathon, but they changed that aspect for the sequels. Shoot first, ask questions later.

Actually, that S'pht you're referring to is one of the better uses of level design to tie the gameplay to the terminal text. He'll attack you if you wait long enough, but once you finally read the terminal he was at you realize he was leaving a message for you. "You kill me, but free the whole," or something to that effect.

Random easter egg: if you're fast enough getting outside your entry point at the beginning of Charon Doesn't Make Change, you can see the entire Pfhor garrison abandoning the area -- a ton of fighters are rushing to teleporters to warp out. Of course, if you don't stay out of sight they'll change their minds and come kill you instead.

Savathun
08-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Random easter egg: if you're fast enough getting outside your entry point at the beginning of Charon Doesn't Make Change, you can see the entire Pfhor garrison abandoning the area -- a ton of fighters are rushing to teleporters to warp out. Of course, if you don't stay out of sight they'll change their minds and come kill you instead.

I need to replay that level. I made a complete mess of it when I was there. I dawdled too much and ended up swimming more than I liked and then stupidly got caught in circle of death with those mouth monsters.

I can't even remember how I made it out of that part alive.

I'm still amazed these games have been out all this time and it's taken me this long to play them. I never tried before because, from the way people were talking, it sounded like it'd all be completely over my head.

cortbassist89
08-06-2007, 12:36 PM
I ditched my laptop playing, installed it on my desktop, and started a new game. It's much more fun now because I realized my laptop, for whatever reason, wasn't displaying any of the Durandal's terminal's text.

So now the game isn't nearly as confusing. Before I was just running around shooting and pressing the action key at random panels.\

Now I at least have some sort of mission. That said, I'm quite enjoying the narrative and whatnot. Especially since I can read the text now.

Also, I'm now playing on Easy. Does that make me less hardcore? lol

Once I'm done with some work I will go and start Volunteers.

Mightyblue
08-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Gah. Stuck on Ex Cathedra. I know where I should go, but I have no idea how to get to it. That, and I realized that shooting the Fusion Pistol in the water is a quick path to suicide. Arr.

Excitemike
08-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Gah. Stuck on Ex Cathedra. I know where I should go, but I have no idea how to get to it. That, and I realized that shooting the Fusion Pistol in the water is a quick path to suicide. Arr.

Are you taking about the room at the top of the cathedral? There's one more switch you have to press. It's in a small but deep pool that's in the NE area of the map. (I got pretty stuck on that one myself)

Mightyblue
08-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Eh, I was trying to take the shortcut back up from the water area instead of looking about ten feet to the right for the real entrance to the underwater part. Other than that, and getting naded by the natives a few times I got through that fine. Them purple troopers are a pain when you're in the water.

Currently on 6000 Feet Under, and not liking lava too much, but that's past the Fun Club dealie.

Parish
08-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Other than that, and getting naded by the natives a few times I got through that fine. Them purple troopers are a pain when you're in the water.
They're not natives! They're invasive bastards. And yeah, they suck. Especially when they start appearing en masse in the later levels -- aside from the jumbo-sized foes (Juggernauts, Super Cyborgs and Mothers of All Hunters) they're probably the deadliest enemies in the game.

Traumadore
08-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Ugh, so the Juggernauts DO show up, eh. I remember in the first game just kiting them around and killing them with the pistol because they were so slow though. Maybe they'll be a little more threatening this time around.

Savathun
08-06-2007, 04:31 PM
I'm on the first part of the Garrison section and I keep wondering if maybe there's not some way to swim or jump or something that I'm not aware of, since I keep drowning in that stupid pit with the two mouth monsters.

*Spoilers, kinda*

Oh, and about the lost tribe of Spht guys (not even gonna try to remember where the apostrophe goes anymore), it's driving me nuts. I keep seeing "sphincter" and it makes me feel creepy.

But anyway, where I'm at now, there's more mention of Tycho and I was thinking "Man, Tycho's a dick," but then again... based on only what I know from getting this far in the game, how do I know that he's not as interesting as Durandal? Maybe Durandal's more of a dick than him, who knows? Maybe he's just as fun. Of course, he's working with the aliens, so.. yeah, kind of a dick move, there, fella.

And I hate the hunters and their ability to teleport in whenever they please. Jerks.

reibeatall
08-06-2007, 11:57 PM
Today's lesson: Don't fire grenades when you're almost covered with water/sewage.

Parish
08-07-2007, 12:03 AM
Use the run button to swim on Mac/PC, or R3 in the 360 version. You can jump ever so slightly by taking a brisk run off the edge of a raised section.

Wow, I feel like Colonel Campbell.

reibeatall
08-07-2007, 12:25 AM
Curioser and Curioser is pissing me off more and more.

I can't find the last terminal I need to destroy. ARGH.

Eusis
08-07-2007, 12:52 AM
I think there's one or two you need to shoot with the energy pistol charged up. So make sure not to look in a conventional, easy to punch place. Also: L3 works too for swimming.

Traumadore
08-07-2007, 12:54 AM
Reibeatall, theres two small terminals on rooms on the inside of the ring formed by the building. One west of the final staircases, one to the east and around the corner. That said, I was completely amazed that I beat that level in like 10 minutes. Looks like the new thread is up so I'd better get back to work!

Savathun
08-07-2007, 10:08 AM
Use the run button to swim on Mac/PC, or R3 in the 360 version. You can jump ever so slightly by taking a brisk run off the edge of a raised section.

Wow, I feel like Colonel Campbell.

Ah ha, thanks.

I hope everyone's impressed that I'm progressing well in this game despite obvious mental handicaps. It's inspirational!

And huzzah, getting closer and closer to the Durandal section which I'm hearing exciting things about.

ringworm
08-07-2007, 10:44 AM
I had played a bit of the first Marathon using M1A1 a couple years back, never to completion though. I forgot how completely disorienting these games are when you first start them. It took me at least a couple of levels to really get a handle on how to even navigate the Marathon world successfully.

Anyway I purchased it last night and made it to "Nuke and Pave". I seem to be having serious ammo problems. I'm probably going to have to go back to an Ex Cathedra save point (thank god I read this thread and got that tip) and try to do the last bit of it using less ammo or try searching for some ammo somewhere. Also I don't seem to have this energy pistol or whatever, even though Durandal made reference to it at one point in "We're Everywhere". Did I fuck up and miss something?

Just like when I finally got into Marathon I'm really enjoying myself. I forgot how much I love the dialogue with Durandal, and while the story is still very unfocused at the point I'm at, its still a lot of fun. Seriously though, fuck the Fl'ickta.

Parish
08-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Yeah, there was a fusion pistol underwater in "We're Everywhere" -- very difficult to miss, actually, since it was right by a switch you had to activate to advance.

ringworm
08-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Grrr. That level sucked hard for me, I started it with very low life/ammo/oxygen.

Mightyblue
08-07-2007, 11:15 AM
The easiest way to fight Flick'ta underwater is to slowly back up while alternating punches (reg. fire, then alt. fire). If you get good at it, everytime the Flick'ta gets close enough to take a swipe at you, you'll back out of the way just enough to get out of range and interrupt it's attack animation, stopping it for a moment.

Savathun
08-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Reading this thread, I knew from MightyBlue's posts that there was some terrifying lava stuff coming up, but I never expected it to be this bad. I feel your pain. Your burning, horrifying pain.

And also, yes, it seems Tycho IS a dick. I really hope I get to dismantle him.

ringworm
08-07-2007, 01:35 PM
So I've been scouring the webternets for some reference to the location of the fusion pistol in We're Everywhere mostly to figure out how I could have missed it and I'm coming up empty. All I can find is some references to getting it early through a secret in The Slings and Arrows of Outrageous Fortune.

Can anyone give me some sort of reference to at least the general area where the fusion pistol appears?

Savathun
08-07-2007, 02:12 PM
I don't recall exactly, but I think as soon as you start the level and fall in the water stuff, turn left and it's there around a corner near the steps to get out and a health panel.

shivam
08-07-2007, 09:13 PM
so i just downloaded this game, and holy wow, mouselook is way way super sensetive. also, i have no idea what is going on or where to go.

cortbassist89
08-07-2007, 09:18 PM
shoot. shoot. kill kill. read terminals.

Dear God, read the terminals!

cortbassist89
08-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Totally not being condescending, same thing happened to me, if only I'd read the terminals! Dear god the terminals.

John
08-07-2007, 09:53 PM
I've decided to do this runthrough in a weak vidmaster style (fists only, but on Normal). Takes longer, but is satisfying, especially if you can get the tank guys to kill each other so you don't have to take damage when they explode. Nice that on normal, it only takes two full running punches to kill a Fl'ickta. Seems easier to punch using the 360 controller, but could just be that I'm more accustomed to it now.

I've also been hitting all the secret areas, but haven't seen any hidden terminals yet. I'm only on What About Bob, so quite a ways to go. Dunno if I'll keep up the fists only bit, especially when the armored Pfhor make an appearance. Anyone know if the Vidmaster achievement is if you actually Vid the game using the old rules (TC level, punch all switches, kill all Bob's, etc)?

Parish
08-07-2007, 10:19 PM
I don't think skill level matters, but I've heard that you do have to punch switches and never leave a BoB alive (make sure they warp out or die before you leave a level).

reibeatall
08-07-2007, 10:25 PM
What does BoB even stand for?

Eusis
08-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Born on Board. As in born on the Marathon during it's journey.

Excitemike
08-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Born on board. As in: born on the ship while the player character was in stasis.

Edit: Jinx!

reibeatall
08-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Ok. Those are the "volunteers" then.

Excitemike
08-07-2007, 10:46 PM
There were many humans in stasis on the
Pfhor ship which the S'pht and I captured
at Tau Ceti, destined for slavery in the
Pfhor Empire. When I saw the colony was
about to be destroyed, I did not restore
them before we left. I also realized they
might become useful.

I have been reviving these colonists and
asking for volunteers on the following
terms: assist us and control your own
destiny, refuse and face indefinite return
to the unreliable Pfhor stasis chambers.

Few are refusing.

reibeatall
08-07-2007, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I remember reading that. I just didn't know if the volunteers were the BoBs.

John
08-08-2007, 12:01 AM
So my fists only game lasted halfway through Come and Take Your Medicine. Once the armored Pfhor and S'pht variants started ganging up on me, with the repair droids sniping from the distance, it was time to pull out the assault rifle. By the way, who makes repair droids whose only function is to shoot plasma beams at intruders? Rude.

At least now I have a full supply of rifle and handgun ammo, which should last throughout the game if I play correctly. Time to storm the cathedral.

sfried
08-09-2007, 11:37 PM
I didn't like how some of the missions forced you to read the console's content in order for you to know what to do next. It might be another one of those "Marathon style" things, but I nearly died trying to flood the whole lava corridor without me knowing. It's sometimes hard to tell what is a readable console and what isn't. (Especially the P'ffft/Sp'ore/whatever ones.) And you don't know which ones will teleport you and which ones won't.

Beh. Too much reading in an action game.