PDA

View Full Version : Your greatest challenge lies ahead- and downwards: Let's Play Zork!

Loki
01-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Way back in 1976 some graduate students at MIT played Advent. They were inspired to created a game like it, not just an expansion of it as other gaming enthusiasts had done. They resolved to make a better and larger game. They set out to make a masterpiece of interactive fiction. After two years of development the game was so large that it required all of MIT’s computer network to run. They named their game “Zork” after a nonsense word popular in the MIT computer labs. It was a sprawling and messy jumble of every idea the students had.

When the students graduated they formed a computer software company. They felt that the future of computing was in business software. In order to create the spreadsheet program they had in mind they needed something to provide starting revenue. They took Zork, cleaned it up, cut it in half, and through some clever programming created a version that could run on home computers. Zork was a huge success and all thoughts of spreadsheets were forgotten. Over the course of the next five years Infocom text adventures were the pinnacle of home gaming. And they were all just text- white words on a black screen.

“We stick our graphics where the sun don’t shine. You’ll never see Infocom’s graphics on any computer screen. Because there’s never been a computer built by man that could handle the images we produce. We draw our graphics from the limitless imagery of your imagination – a technology so powerful, it makes any picture that’s ever come out of a screen look like graffiti by comparison. And nobody knows how to unleash your imagination like Infocom. Through our prose, your imagination makes you part of our stories… “

Infocom’s games ran from light fantasy to hard science fiction. From Lovecraftian horror to poignant political commentary. From surrealism to pulp romance. They cemented a tradition of interactive fiction that continues to this day. In this Let’s Play we’ll go back to where it began. Our adventure lies ahead, and downwards, into Zork.

This Let’s Play will exist in two separate spaces. In character narration will be normal text while my comments on the game and its history will be in this stately blue. Inspired by Brickroads’s Rhem LP I’ll travel around the areas locating puzzles and do the general exploring but it will be up to you guys to do the hard work. If you’ve played Zork before please don’t ruin puzzles by shouting out the solutions before people have had a chance to solve them. And please don’t do yourself a disservice by looking up a FAQ. Zork can be hard and it isn’t always fair but there is great satisfaction to be had at solving the puzzles yourself. At the end of each post I’ll put a list of puzzles left unsolved and what items I’m currently lugging around. Like the Shadowgate LP there will also be a death toll and an update on our current score. I say “our” because I want this is a let’s play. We’re going through this together. The more you participate the better this LP will be. With that said let’s get started.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/Zork_I_box_art.jpg

Loki
01-12-2009, 06:18 PM
I am standing in a clearing west of a white house. Iím lost and donít know where I am. I came here looking to get rich, this being the usual reason anyone wanders from the safety of their home out into the wider world. But why here, this forest, this continent?

Two hundred and eighty two years ago king Duncanthrax the Bellicose discovered the great natural caverns that exist here in the Eastlands. Realizing that by expanding these caves he could increase the size of his kingdom tenfold he started a massive cavern-building project. By the time his great-great-grandson King Dimwit Flathead the Excessive took the throne The Great Underground Empire was as large below ground as it was above. Lord Dimwit lived up to his title and started a number of immense projects that required millions of zorkmids to come to fruition. He filled the underground with treasure and gold and Iím here to get a piece of it.

Unfortunately, at the end of his reign Dimwit angered a powerful wizard who put a curse on him and all of his descendents. This curse came to fruition sixty-five years ago when the last of Dimwitís line (Wurb Flathead) died and castle Flatheadia disappeared. Most of the entrances to the now abandoned underground were forgotten. All those riches are just ripe for the taking.

I arrived at Port Foozle this morning, picked up some provisions, and asked if anyone knew where castle Flatheadia used to be. An old fisherman pointed me in the direction of this forest where Iíve been wandering around for hours. I finally stumbled upon this house. Maybe whoever lives here can help me out.

Really though, I think Iím over my head here. Iím not too smart and Iíve got a feeling that getting rich is going to require some real wit. Iím hoping you guys will be able to help me out. Iíll describe everything I see and keep a map of the area. If you need to me to go someplace specific just tell me to and Iíll navigate there on my own. Also, I have to warn you that Iím a bit of kleptomaniac. I tend to pick up everything that isnít nailed down. Itís not stealing if no one sees you do it, right?

I picked up a couple of items in Port Foozle that should be of big help. First, I got a box of pastels made by the Frobozz Magic Pastel Company. Iíll draw pictures of each location I see and any important items I find. Documenting this adventure seems a wise course of action. Secondly, I got a Frobozz Magic Personal Crystal Company personal crystal (or PC for short). This device allows me to talk to you guys and show you my pictures. I spent the last of my zorkmids to get the advanced version will allows me to SAVE the state of things and then RESTORE myself to that state if I need to. This should come in handy as the Underground Empire is sure to be dangerous. You guys donít need to tell me when to SAVE. I can handle that on my own.

Alright! Let me look around and tell you guys exactly where I am.

Brer
01-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Excellent. I hope to participate in this one if I can.

Loki
01-12-2009, 06:27 PM
ZORK I: The Great Underground Empire
Copyright (c) 1981, 1982, 1983 Infocom, Inc. All rights reserved.
ZORK is a registered trademark of Infocom, Inc.
Revision 88 / Serial number 840726

West of House
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/w_white.jpg

Oh... maybe no one lives here after allÖ letís seeÖ

>open mailbox
Opening the small mailbox reveals a leaflet.

>read leaflet
(Taken)
"WELCOME TO ZORK!

ZORK is a game of adventure, danger, and low cunning. In it you will explore some of the most amazing territory ever seen by mortals. No computer should be without one!"

I donít understand a word this leaflet says. Iíll just put it back in the mailbox for now. If I circle around the house I can get a better look at it.

>s
South of House
You are facing the south side of a white house. There is no door here, and all the windows are boarded.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/s_white.jpg

No better luck here. All the windows are boarded up. Moving on.

>e
Behind House
You are behind the white house. A path leads into the forest to the east. In one corner of the house there is a small window which is slightly ajar.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/e_white.jpg

Aha! Looks like who ever condemned this place forgot a window. Opening it gives us access into the house and scores us ten points! (Not that I know what those areÖ)

>w
Kitchen
You are in the kitchen of the white house. A table seems to have been used recently for the preparation of food. A passage leads to the west and a dark staircase can be seen leading upward. A dark chimney leads down and to the east is a small window which is open.
On the table is an elongated brown sack, smelling of hot peppers.
A bottle is sitting on the table.
The glass bottle contains:
A quantity of water

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/kitchen.jpg

Iím going to go ahead and take the lunch here. Iím hoping that it hasnít been sitting around since the house was first boarded up.

>open sack
Opening the brown sack reveals a lunch, and a clove of garlic.

>look at garlic
There's nothing special about the clove of garlic.

>look at lunch
There's nothing special about the lunch.

Iíll take ďnothing specialĒ over ďovergrown with moldĒ any day of the weak. Letís move into the living room.

>w
Living Room
You are in the living room. There is a doorway to the east, a wooden door with strange gothic lettering to the west, which appears to be nailed shut, a trophy case, and a large oriental rug in the center of the room.
Above the trophy case hangs an elvish sword of great antiquity.
A battery-powered brass lantern is on the trophy case.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/living_room.jpg

Wow! A sword and a lantern. Iíve got a feeling both of these will come in handy. I tried to take the rug but it was too heavy to lift. I didnít want it anyway because its ugly and dumb and I hate it.

>open door
The door cannot be opened.

Maybe the strange gothic lettering will provide a clue on how to open it.

>read door
The engravings translate to "This space intentionally left blank."

What is this? A joke? I think Iím done in here. This roomís pretty cozy. Maybe I can use it as a base of operations. If I ever have to store items Iíll come back here to do so. Back in the kitchen I have two options. Up the stairs or down the chimney. Since I want to get underground "down" seems the obvious choice.

>d
Only Santa Claus climbs down chimneys.

Silly me. It was dumb of me even to try. I know Iím not Santa and I should have known that climbing down chimneys was reserved for him. Let me wipe this egg off my face and head upstairs.

>u
You have moved into a dark place.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

>what is a grue
The grue is a sinister, lurking presence in the dark places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.

Iím not afraid of no grue. Whatís the worst they can do?

Oh, no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

**** You have died ****

Oh. Iíll just restore to before the grue ate me. In the original MIT build of Zork the danger for moving around in dark places was the chance that one might fall into a bottomless pit. This was a hold over from Advent where you were exploring a cave system and bottomless pits made sense. Falling into one in an attic really doesnít work so Dave Lebling, one of the authors of Zork, came up with the concept of a light fearing monster called a Grue (from the Dying Earth series) which quickly became a big in-joke for text adventures and was featured in many of Infocomís games.

Good thing I found that lantern in the living room.

>turn on lantern
The brass lantern is now on.

Attic
This is the attic. The only exit is a stairway leading down.
A large coil of rope is lying in the corner.
On a table is a nasty-looking knife.

A rope and knife. Now Iím well prepared for adventure! If only I could find a way underground. Maybe I should explore some more into the forest. Now that Iíve found my way into the house I can use it as a central point to work out from. Leaving the house I circle around to the north of it.

Loki
01-12-2009, 06:29 PM
>n
North of House
You are facing the north side of a white house. There is no door here, and all the windows are boarded up. To the north a narrow path winds through the trees.

Not much here except a path into the woods. Let’s take it.

>n
Forest Path
This is a path winding through a dimly lit forest. The path heads north-south here. One particularly large tree with some low branches stands at the edge of the path.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/forest_path.jpg

Dang. That is one tall tree. But forests are full of trees. Let’s see if we can’t find anything a little more exciting.

>n
Clearing
You are in a clearing, with a forest surrounding you on all sides. A path leads south.
On the ground is a pile of leaves.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/clearing.jpg

Now that’s interesting. When presented with a pie of leaves there’s only one thing to do.

>count leaves
There are 69,105 leaves here.

I feel better knowing this. This bit of flavor text became another Infocom in-joke and many of their later games feature 69,105 of something somewhere. I also chose to take some leaves because, hey, gotta take something.

>take leaves
In disturbing the pile of leaves, a grating is revealed.
Taken.

Oh-ho! What is this? A grate in the floor of the forest. Could this be the mythical entrance to the Great Underground Empire?

>open grate
The grating is locked.

What we need now is a key. Maybe it’s somewhere else in the woods. Wandering around for a while brings me to:

Canyon View
You are at the top of the Great Canyon on its west wall. From here there is a marvelous view of the canyon and parts of the Frigid River upstream. Across the canyon, the walls of the White Cliffs join the mighty ramparts of the Flathead Mountains to the east. Following the Canyon upstream to the north, Aragain Falls may be seen, complete with rainbow. The mighty Frigid River flows out from a great dark cavern. To the west and south can be seen an immense forest, stretching for miles around. A path leads northwest. It is possible to climb down into the canyon from here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/canyon_view.jpg

Beautiful. I’m not much of a climber but maybe that cave the water’s pouring from leads underground.

>d
Rocky Ledge
You are on a ledge about halfway up the wall of the river canyon. You can see from here that the main flow from Aragain Falls twists along a passage which it is impossible for you to enter. Below you is the canyon bottom. Above you is more cliff, which appears climbable.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/rockey_ledge.jpg

I really don’t like being up here, guys. I hope it’s worth it. It doesn’t look like I’ll be able to reach that passage from here. Climbing again… please lord let me live.

>d
Canyon Bottom
You are beneath the walls of the river canyon which may be climbable here. The lesser part of the runoff of Aragain Falls flows by below. To the north is a narrow path.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/canyon_bottom.jpg

I guess the only choice is to head upstream.

>n
End of Rainbow
You are on a small, rocky beach on the continuation of the Frigid River past the Falls. The beach is narrow due to the presence of the White Cliffs. The river canyon opens here and sunlight shines in from above. A rainbow crosses over the falls to the east and a narrow path continues to the southwest.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/end_rainbow.jpg

Yeah… I’m not going to be able to climb up from here. Another dead end. Although, on the other side of the ravine I think I can see a small cave leading into the canyon wall. If only I could get across…

Exploring the forest doesn’t turn up anything else so I decided to head back to the house. Dang. I’m really stuck here. There seems to be some possible entrances to the caves but either I can’t reach them, unlock them, or am not Santa Claus. What to do? Help me out, guys?

Puzzles:
A locked grate.
A cave on the far side of a canyon.

Inventory:
A rope
A knife
A pile of leaves
A brass lantern
A sword
A glass bottle
A quantity of water
A brown sack
The brown sack contains:
A lunch
A clove of garlic

Score: Your score is 10 (total of 350 points). This gives you the rank of Beginner.

Deaths: 1 by walking into grue fang.

shivam
01-12-2009, 06:43 PM
oh shit. this. this is win.

Balrog
01-12-2009, 06:50 PM
It's exactly how it looked in my brain.

Brickroad
01-12-2009, 07:02 PM
You should try climbing random trees in the forest to get a better look around, or failing that to possibly hijack a passing hot air balloon.

I like how it doesn't tell you what the Lunch is. It's just a Lunch. (Probably worth 7GP.)

Octopus Prime
01-12-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm sorry to to everyone else who was trying, but Loki, you're now my favorite person ever.

REAL Adventurers muss up and wreck everything they can find. Take your frustrations out on that ugly-ass rug!

Rai
01-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Quaff the potion to identify it!

I mean, uh, can you cross the rainbow? Maybe it's made of skittles and is magically delicious!

Merus
01-12-2009, 07:36 PM
That rainbow is surely a rainbow bridge. I think you should CROSS RAINBOW.

PapillonReel
01-12-2009, 07:39 PM
I love the crayon look to the artwork - for some reason, it just fits the writing so well. Anyway, make like a Dragon Warrior and cross the rainbow bridge!

Sky Render
01-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Ah, the memories... Also, I commend your idea on how to provide "screenshots" for a text adventure. 'Tis brilliant. And possibly brillig too,though I don't see any slithy toves gyring and gimbling in the wabe.

Ample Vigour
01-12-2009, 08:24 PM
oh shit. this. this is win.

DeeMer
01-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Oh, wow. Color me impressed!

Color? Like, with the crayons? Eh?

Alixsar
01-12-2009, 11:06 PM
How the hell am I supposed to compete with this? I don't even have any crayons! Damn it.

Bongo Bill
01-13-2009, 12:57 AM
How the hell am I supposed to compete with this? I don't even have any crayons! Damn it.

The free version of ArtRage (http://www.ambientdesign.com/), I recall, includes a crayon preset.

Merus
01-13-2009, 01:57 AM
This Let's Play delivers.

(It also does pick-up.)

Shadax
01-13-2009, 02:43 AM
Awesome, audience participation allows us to make this game completely unwinnable in a myriad of ways.

Merus
01-13-2009, 04:14 AM
As does playing it by yourself!

Alex
01-13-2009, 04:55 AM
Stab yourself with the knife.

Octopus Prime
01-13-2009, 06:07 AM
Awesome, audience participation allows us to make this game completely unwinnable in a myriad of ways.

I only think that Zork is winnable at all because they had to stop making it at some point.

Which is terrible logic.

Loki
01-13-2009, 04:48 PM
REAL Adventurers muss up and wreck everything they can find. Take your frustrations out on that ugly-ass rug!

Yeah, this rug can go jump in a lake for all its worth! Ready yourself, rug.

>hit rug
(with the sword)
I've known strange people, but fighting a carpet?

I guess it is rather silly.

Stab yourself with the knife.

But this suggestion isn't. If I'm dead I'll get buried and then I'll be underground. Brilliant!

>stab self with knife
If you insist.... Poof, you're dead!

**** You have died ****

After several years no one's been by to burry me and I've decomposed into a pile of bones. RESTORING.

Quaff the potion to identify it!

I hear this is a handy way of identifying liquids...

>open bottle
Opened.

>drink water
Thank you very much. I was rather thirsty (from all this talking, probably).

...though it does have it's downside. Now I have no water and one empty bottle. I'll store it in the sack for now.

That rainbow is surely a rainbow bridge. I think you should CROSS RAINBOW.

I guess anything's possible. I make the long, arduous climb back down to the waterfall.

>cross rainbow
Can you walk on water vapor?

Of course I can! Who ca... Oh. Right. Sometimes a spade is just a spade and a rainbow is just an optical and meteorological phenomenon that causes a spectrum of light to appear in the sky when the Sun shines onto droplets of moisture in the Earth's atmosphere. Just to be sure I scan the end of the rainbow for any pots of gold. There are none.

You should try climbing random trees in the forest to get a better look around, or failing that to possibly hijack a passing hot air balloon.

Well, the only tree really suitable for climbing is that tall one just north of the house. I make the climb up again, cursing Brickroad with every breath, and return to the tree. While walking back I hear something...

>w
Forest
You hear in the distance the chirping of a song bird.

Just thought you guys would like to know. This tall tree has some low branches with with I'm able to hoist myself off the ground (not very easy to do when you're carrying a pile of leaves).

>climb tree
Up a Tree
You are about 10 feet above the ground nestled among some large branches. The nearest branch above you is above your reach.
Beside you on the branch is a small bird's nest.
In the bird's nest is a large egg encrusted with precious jewels, apparently scavenged by a childless songbird. The egg is covered with fine gold inlay, and ornamented in lapis lazuli and mother-of-pearl. Unlike most eggs, this one is hinged and closed with a delicate looking clasp. The egg appears extremely fragile.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/tree_top.jpg

Ooo! An egg! I'll eggnap it but first Brickroad wanted me to take a look around. Directly to the south I can see the roof of the white house. There are some shingles missing. Farther south is more forrest until the horizon where I can make out a thin strip of blue. That must be the Great Sea and somewhere in that direction is Port Foozle. To the north and east are the gray peaks of the Flathead mountains. If the mountains weren't in the way I could probably see the marshlands of Fenshire. To the west is endless forest. Now, to that egg.

>take egg
Taken.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/egg.jpg

And our score goes up 5 points!

Finally, some treasure. And it has a little hinge on it too. I bet something's inside. It would be foolish to open it up here so I return to the living room.

>open egg
You have neither the tools nor the expertise.

Expertise? I know how to undo a clasp. What more expertise do I need?

>throw egg at ground
Your rather indelicate handling of the egg has caused it some damage, although you have succeeded in opening it. There is a golden clockwork canary nestled in the egg. It seems to have recently had a bad experience. The mountings for its jewel-like eyes are empty, and its silver beak is crumpled. Through a cracked crystal window below its left wing you can see the remains of intricate machinery. It is not clear what result winding it would have, as the mainspring seems sprung.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/canary_broken.jpg

Whoops! This seems... bad. I'll just RESTORE before I smashed the egg... Maybe more finesse is required. I bet if I'm real careful I can jimmy it open.

>open egg with knife
The egg is now open, but the clumsiness of your attempt has seriously compromised its esthetic appeal. There is a golden clockwork canary nestled in the egg. It seems to have recently had a bad experience. The mountings for its jewel-like eyes are empty, and its silver beak is crumpled. Through a cracked crystal window below its left wing you can see the remains of intricate machinery. It is not clear what result winding it would have, as the mainspring seems sprung.

Bugger it all! RESTORING again. I guess I'll just have to wait until I level up some before I can open this egg without destroying the canary.

I'm carrying a lot of junk now so I'm going to start storing it in this room. If I need something specific I'll come back here to get it.

Puzzles:
A locked grate.
A normal rainbow.
A jeweled egg that contains a golden clockwork canary. If I try to open the egg I end up breaking the canary.

Inventory:
A rope
A broken jewel-encrusted egg
A nasty knife
A pile of leaves
A brass lantern
A sword
A brown sack
The brown sack contains:
A glass bottle
A lunch
A clove of garlic

Score: Your score is 15 (total of 350 points). This gives you the rank of Beginner.

Deaths: 2 (Grue fang, poofed myself with knife)

Octopus Prime
01-13-2009, 04:52 PM
That locked grate, is the key hole in it mechanical canary shaped?

Use the Egg on the Grate!

Loki
01-13-2009, 04:56 PM
That locked grate, is the key hole in it mechanical canary shaped?

Use the Egg on the Grate!

Maybe! I'll just make the walk back to the clearing...

>unlock grate with egg
Can you unlock a grating with a jewel-encrusted egg?

>throw egg at grate
Your rather indelicate handling of the egg has caused it some damage, although you have succeeded in opening it. There is a golden clockwork canary nestled in the egg. It seems to have recently had a bad experience. The mountings for its jewel-like eyes are empty, and its silver beak is crumpled. Through a cracked crystal window below its left wing you can see the remains of intricate machinery. It is not clear what result winding it would have, as the mainspring seems sprung.

>unlock grate with canary
(Taken)
Can you unlock a grating with a broken clockwork canary?

Apparently not. RESTORING.

Brickroad
01-13-2009, 09:04 PM
Well you didn't do the balloon thing so either you're bad at following directions or you're in some crazy-ass part of the kingdom where there isn't much balloon traffic.

I have a couple more ideas:

1) What kind of dashing adventurer are you if you have no source of fire? I know your lamp is battery-powered (do they ever run out, by the way?) but is there a torch or a book of matches or a flint anywhere? If there's one thing I've learned from my years of dashing adventuring, it's that keys are often hidden under rugs and that it's impossible to move rugs but a lot of fun to burn holes in them.

2) Failing that, can you jimmy the grate open with your nasty knife or your (supposedly not nasty) sword?

3) Seems like a shame to have wasted your water. Can you get close enough to the river to re-fill your bottle? You might get thirsty again if you ever make it underground.

Merus
01-13-2009, 09:16 PM
I remember a cautionary song from a bard named Front The Lot in my youth:

"You are likely to be eaten by a grue
If this predicament seems particularly cruel
Just think whose fault it could be
Not a torch or a match in your inventory"

Therefore, I second the "look for torch or match or flint" suggestion.

shivam
01-13-2009, 09:44 PM
you are likely to be eaten by a grue (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nigRT2KmCE&feature=related)

Red Hedgehog
01-14-2009, 12:34 AM
I think OctoPrime was on to something with taking your frustrations out on the rug. Can you cut it? Rend it in two? What about rolling it up and shoving it in the fireplace? How about sitting on it and commanding it to rise? Ooh, or folding it into an origami crane?

Kirin
01-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Brick and Hedge already took my two suggestions (try to jimmy grate lock with knife, try to roll up rug), but I'm posting anyway to say that this thread is totally awesome.

Thinaran
01-14-2009, 10:06 AM
The item description for the egg mentions both the hinge and the clasp, so try "unhinge egg" or "open clasp on egg".

And 5'd.

Loki
01-14-2009, 10:10 AM
The item description for the egg mentions both the hinge and the clasp, so try "unhinge egg" or "open clasp on egg".

And 5'd.

I tried both of those commands when I first got the egg but they produced the same "You have neither the tools nor the expertise" line so I didn't post them. The only way to open the egg is to throw it against something or break it with something and either action breaks the canary.

DANoWAR
01-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Oh man, I'm so holding myself back here... *g*

Disclaimer: Has played Zork and assorted text adventures at least 3 times in his life

Loki
01-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Well you didn't do the balloon thing so either you're bad at following directions or you're in some crazy-ass part of the kingdom where there isn't much balloon traffic.

Not really. Most people fled the Eastlands when the curse was laid on Dimwit Flathead and as the years went by more and more people abandoned this region. By the time Curse Day came around sixty-five years ago and Flatheadia was destroyed there was no one left. With the exception of frontier towns like Port Foozle the Eastlands are very sparsely populated.

Wolf
01-15-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm willing to bet, based on the general sadism inherent in most adventure games (and Zork games in particular) that the lamp is battery-powered, and that the batteries will pick the worst moment possible to fail.

Also, I concur with the vote to move the rug, but I'm thinking you should refill your bottle of water while you still can.

Octopus Prime
01-15-2009, 11:18 AM
Better idea: Put the rug into the bottle.

You never know when you'll need a tall, frosty bottle of carpet.

Wolf
01-15-2009, 11:40 AM
I suppose that kills two birds with one stone. It moves the rug, and you'd be de-emptifying the bottle.

Loki
01-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Okay, I've got a few suggestions to follow. First was to fill the bottle up with water... which means another trip down to the bottom of the canyon. I don't even know if this is possible. I've never tried.

>fill bottle with water
The bottle is now full of water.

I guess it is! Color me impressed, Zork.

Now it's all the way back up to try and jimmy the grating open with the knife. Back to the clearing.

>open grate with knife
The grating is locked.

>unlock grate with knife
Can you unlock a grating with a nasty knife?

Hmm. About as far as I did when I tried to open it with an egg. Using the sword produces the same result. Next, you guys really wanted me to get rid of that rug. Someone suggested that there might be a key under it. That's not a half-bad idea. I return to the house.

>look under rug
Underneath the rug is a closed trap door. As you drop the corner of the rug, the trap door is once again concealed from view.

HOLY SHIT! There was a trap door here the whole time! I bet it's locked though, or I have to be the tooth fairy to go through it. Let's get this rug out of the way.

>move rug
With a great effort, the rug is moved to one side of the room, revealing the dusty cover of a closed trap door.

>open trap door.
The door reluctantly opens to reveal a rickety staircase descending into darkness.

Here it is: the entrance to the Great Underground Empire. My heart's beating a thousand bloits a second. (The bloit is the standard unit of distance in Quendor. The official definition of the bloit is however far the ruling monarch's pet can run in an hour. Traditionally, the bloit is considered to be approximately 3,529 feet, or two-thirds of a mile.) I... I can't believe we finally found it. I'm going to be rich.

Before descending I turn on the lantern. Yes, the lantern's battery can run out if you're not careful about turning it off in lit areas. If it runs out the game can be put in an unwinnable state. Fun! I'll be conservative with it though. You won't have to tell me to turn it on or off. I'm also leaving the leaves (ha!) here. They're hard to carry and eat up a lot of arm-room. If I need them I'll come back for them.

>d
The trap door crashes shut, and you hear someone barring it.

Cellar
You are in a dark and damp cellar with a narrow passageway leading north, and a crawlway to the south. On the west is the bottom of a steep metal ramp which is unclimbable.
Your sword is glowing with a faint blue glow.

Or maybe not. Someone shut the door on me! But we did get 25 points for coming down here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/cellar.jpg

>open door
The door is locked from above.

I thought I was the only one around here. Now I'm scarred. And something crazy is happening to my crazy sword. Well, might as well explore around a bit.

>n
The Troll Room
This is a small room with passages to the east and south and a forbidding hole leading west. Bloodstains and deep scratches (perhaps made by an axe) mar the walls.
A nasty-looking troll, brandishing a bloody axe, blocks all passages out of the room.
Your sword has begun to glow very brightly.
The troll swings his axe, and it nicks your arm as you dodge.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/troll_room.jpg

Ow fuck! Um... run away! Back in the cellar the only other way to go is south.

>s
East of Chasm
You are on the east edge of a chasm, the bottom of which cannot be seen. A narrow passage goes north, and the path you are on continues to the east.
Your sword is no longer glowing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/e_of_chasm.jpg

Looks deep. At least my crazy sword calmed the fuck down. I guess... east?

>e
Gallery
This is an art gallery. Most of the paintings have been stolen by vandals with exceptional taste. The vandals left through either the north or west exits.
Fortunately, there is still one chance for you to be a vandal, for on the far wall is a painting of unparalleled beauty.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/gallery.jpg

This is the last thing I would have expected down here. At least there's a painting left. It looks expensive so I'm taking it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/painting.jpg

>take painting
Your load is too heavy, especially in light of your condition.

Wha- What condition? Did the troll get me pregnant? The Biscuit Puncher remains out of our grasp so I continue north.

>n
Studio
This appears to have been an artist's studio. The walls and floors are splattered with paints of 69 different colors. Strangely enough, nothing of value is hanging here. At the south end of the room is an open door (also covered with paint). A dark and narrow chimney leads up from a fireplace; although you might be able to get up it, it seems unlikely you could get back down.
Loosely attached to a wall is a small piece of paper.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/studio.jpg

I think I recognize that chimney.

>climb chimney
You can't get up there with what you're carrying.

Won't let me go through it? Yep, it's the same one.

>read paper

Congratulations!

You are the privileged owner of ZORK I: The Great Underground Empire, a self-contained and self-maintaining universe. If used and maintained in accordance with normal operating practices for small universes, ZORK will provide many months of trouble-free operation.

I... own the underground now?

Puzzles:
A locked grate.
A normal rainbow.
A jeweled egg.
A barred trap door.
A grumpy troll.
A heavy painting.
A tight chimney.

Inventory:
A glass bottle
A quantity of water
A nasty knife
A rope
A brown sack
The brown sack contains:
A lunch
A clove of garlic
A jewel-encrusted egg
A brass lantern (providing light)
A sword

Score: Your score is 40 (total of 350 points). This gives you the rank of Amateur Adventurer. Hey! We went up a rank!

Deaths: 2 (Grue fang, self-stabbed) And a troll-induced arm nick.

Red Hedgehog
01-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Wimp!

Lone Wolf would have thought nothing of running the troll through with his glowy sword.

Sporophyte
01-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Wimp!

Lone Wolf would have thought nothing of running the troll through with his glowy sword.

Lone wolf didn't even need a sword he had, mind explosion powers.

The troll is just misunderstood and thirsty. Give him some water. Alternatively force feed him the knife.

Matchstick
01-15-2009, 11:05 PM
I'm a Zork vet, so I won't be offering any suggestions, but the "screenshots" are awesome, especially the non-pilfered masterpiece. All that's left for me to say is Hello, Sailor.

DANoWAR
01-16-2009, 12:48 AM
I'm a Zork vet, so I won't be offering any suggestions, but the "screenshots" are awesome, especially the non-pilfered masterpiece. All that's left for me to say is Hello, Sailor.

Xyzzy

Octopus Prime
01-16-2009, 01:54 AM
You have a magic glowy sword and you DIDN'T decide to stab the Troll to death?

Have you no pride, sir?

Brickroad
01-16-2009, 08:39 AM
Yeah, I'm kinda feeling this "get back in there and stab the troll" vibe, too.

As for the rest of it, I'm kind of at a loss. Earlier you tried taking the rug but not moving it, and that turned out to be dumb. Maybe it's equally dumb that you tried taking the painting but not moving it? Maybe you can move it aside and reveal a safe or a secret passage or a magic troll-killing baseball bat or something?

Is there anything hidden in the painted room? A room with chaotic colors splattered all over the walls would be a decent place to hide a hidden panel or shutter or something.

Is the only light source in the underground your battery-powered lantern? Still no source of fire?

Wolf
01-16-2009, 09:14 AM
What kind of adventurer are you? You need to get back in there and kill that troll. Kill it to death. It's blocking the way and generally being a nuisance. Is the troll's name GnaM?

And, Brickroad: Yeah, the only source of light at the moment is that lantern, I think, at least according to his inventory. No fire yet.

Also, there needs to be a version of Zork that plays out accompanied by Loki's awesome crayon drawings. I would pay money for this.

Loki
01-17-2009, 08:07 PM
Yeah, I'm kinda feeling this "get back in there and stab the troll" vibe, too.

As for the rest of it, I'm kind of at a loss. Earlier you tried taking the rug but not moving it, and that turned out to be dumb. Maybe it's equally dumb that you tried taking the painting but not moving it? Maybe you can move it aside and reveal a safe or a secret passage or a magic troll-killing baseball bat or something?

Is there anything hidden in the painted room? A room with chaotic colors splattered all over the walls would be a decent place to hide a hidden panel or shutter or something.

Let's see!

>Look at paint
There's nothing special about the paint.

>search paint
You find nothing unusual.

Nope! I don't think the paint's the problem here. I think the problem is that I'm hauling around too much crap to climb up the chimney.

>s
Gallery
Fortunately, there is still one chance for you to be a vandal, for on the far wall is a painting of unparalleled beauty.

>move painting
Moving the painting reveals nothing.

Nothing behind the painting. Not even a single solitary safe.

>take painting

I still don't know what it means by "my condition" but I could carry this painting if I wasn't carrying everything I ever came across in life ever.

Now, to take on that troll. He scares me and I don't want to fight him. Look at the things I do for you.

The Troll Room
A nasty-looking troll, brandishing a bloody axe, blocks all passages out of the room.
The flat of the troll's axe hits you delicately on the head, knocking you out.
Conquering his fears, the troll puts you to death.
It appears that that last blow was too much for you. I'm afraid you are dead.

**** You have died ****

Well that was smart. RESTORE.

>n
The Troll Room

This time the troll doesn't axe my head to pieces as soon as I step into the room.

The troll is just misunderstood and thirsty. Give him some water. Alternatively force feed him the knife.

Let's see if a drink will calm him (it?) down.

>give bottle to troll
The troll, who is not overly proud, graciously accepts the gift and not having the most discriminating tastes, gleefully eats it.

WHOOPS! Maybe I should feed him the knife a little more aggressively.

>throw knife at troll
The troll, who is remarkably coordinated, catches the nasty knife and, being for the moment sated, throws it back. Fortunately, the troll has poor control, and the nasty knife falls to the floor. He does not look pleased.
You suddenly notice that the nasty knife vanished.
You stagger back under a hail of axe strokes.

I'd normally be more concerned that the knife disappeared but I'm getting hailed on by axe strokes. Sometimes, if you're lucky, the troll will eat the knife and die from an internal hemorrhage. Not this time through. Here's a little bit of nifty triva. Marc Blank, one of the original programers, explained in a 1982 interview: "The silliest thing in Adventure was that you always had to say, 'Take ax, throw ax; take ax, throw ax.' So we decided that anything you threw at Zork's troll, it would eat! A lot of things in Zork pay homage to Adventure." Only one thing left to do:

>kill troll with sword
You are still recovering from that last blow, so your attack is ineffective.
The axe crashes against the rock, throwing sparks!

>g
You charge, but the troll jumps nimbly aside.
The axe knocks your sword out of your hand. It falls to the floor.

Shit! This little bugger is tough!

>grab sword
Taken.
The troll's axe barely misses your ear.

>kill troll with sword
The troll is momentarily disoriented and can't fight back.
The troll slowly regains his feet.

Dodge! Parry! Dang it all this is epic! Normally the troll is a big push-over. I think this is the longest it has ever taken me to best him.

>g
The troll is staggered, and drops to his knees.
The troll slowly regains his feet.

>g
You charge, but the troll jumps nimbly aside.
The axe sweeps past as you jump aside.

Whoosh! I think the problem is that I'm using "g" here which is short for "again" and repeats the last command I entered. I'm going to change up my tactic and see if it's not more affective.

>kill troll with sword
The troll is disarmed by a subtle feint past his guard.
The troll, angered and humiliated, recovers his weapon. He appears to have an axe to grind with you.

Har har har. That's very cleaver of you, Zork.

>kill troll with sword
A good slash, but it misses the troll by a mile.
The troll swings his axe, but it misses.

>kill troll with sword
The haft of your sword knocks out the troll.

A hit! Finally. I've never known such a tenacious troll. Just one last blow:

>kill troll with sword
The unarmed troll cannot defend himself: He dies.
Almost as soon as the troll breathes his last breath, a cloud of sinister black fog envelops him, and when the fog lifts, the carcass has disappeared.

PHEW! The troll is dead. Long live me. I crown myself "new troll" and move on in search of my knife.

DeeMer
01-17-2009, 08:35 PM
Did the troll just drink the water or did he eat the bottle?

Loki
01-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Did the troll just drink the water or did he eat the bottle?

He ate it. Stop acting all surprised. He was a fucking troll.

Let's get explorin'. From here I can go west or east. Kai Lords always go east, so I'm a-headin' a-west.

>w
Maze
This is part of a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

>w
Maze

>w
Maze

>d
Maze

Ow ow ow. This place hurts my head.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/maze.jpg

I somehow find my way back to the troll room. I'm going to need some sort of strategy to get through the maze. It's just too confusing to sort out on it's own. I guess I'm heading east. Hey, doing so get's me five points!

>e
East-West Passage
This is a narrow east-west passageway. There is a narrow stairway leading down at the north end of the room.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/e_w_passage.jpg

I'll just continue to the east for now.

>e
Round Room
This is a circular stone room with passages in all directions. Several of them have unfortunately been blocked by cave-ins.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/round_room.jpg

Hmm. Lots of directions to choose from. I'll just take them in order. First, to the south.

>s
Narrow Passage
This is a long and narrow corridor where a long north-south passageway briefly narrows even further.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/narrow_passage.jpg

I feel like this hole was made just for me. I can only continue to the south.

>s
Mirror Room
You are in a large square room with tall ceilings. On the south wall is an enormous mirror which fills the entire wall. There are exits on the other three sides of the room.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/mirror_room.jpg

Neat!

>look at reflection
There is an ugly person staring back at you.

=(

>w
Winding Passage
This is a winding passage. It seems that there are only exits on the east and north.

This passage just loops me around to where I would have ended up if I'd gone east from the mirror room.

>e
Cave
This is a tiny cave with entrances west and north, and a dark, forbidding staircase leading down.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/cave.jpg

My sword is flipping the fuck out again. I think this means that there's something nearby that could kill me. I decide to descend into danger anyways.

>d
Entrance to Hades
You are outside a large gateway, on which is inscribed

Abandon every hope all ye who enter here!

The gate is open; through it you can see a desolation, with a pile of mangled bodies in one corner. Thousands of voices, lamenting some hideous fate, can be heard.
The way through the gate is barred by evil spirits, who jeer at your attempts to pass.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/enterance_to_hades.jpg

Holy hell it's the entrance to heck! I must be deeper than I thought. I think I'm a good candidate to enter. Heaven knows I've stolen a lot of things in my life.

>s
Some invisible force prevents you from passing through the gate.

I think this means I'm a saint.

>look at gate
The gate is protected by an invisible force. It makes your teeth ache to touch it.

I'm not going to be able to enter hell just yet. I take me and my aching teeth back to the round room. This time I choose the south-eastern exit.

>se
Engravings Cave
You have entered a low cave with passages leading northwest and east.
There are old engravings on the walls here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/engravings_cave.jpg

>look at engravings
The engravings were incised in the living rock of the cave wall by an unknown hand. They depict, in symbolic form, the beliefs of the ancient Zorkers. Skillfully interwoven with the bas reliefs are excerpts illustrating the major religious tenets of that time. Unfortunately, a later age seems to have considered them blasphemous and just as skillfully excised them.

Things might be exaggerated a little here. Continuing east.

>e
Dome Room
You are at the periphery of a large dome, which forms the ceiling of another room below. Protecting you from a precipitous drop is a wooden railing which circles the dome.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/dome_room.jpg

I can see a door down there.

>d
You cannot go down without fracturing many bones.

I can live with a few fractured bones but many is where I draw the line. Back to the round room where I head east.

>e
Loud Room
This is a large room with a ceiling which cannot be detected from the ground. There is a narrow passage from east to west and a stone stairway leading upward. The room is deafeningly loud with an undetermined rushing sound. The sound seems to reverberate from all of the walls, making it difficult even to think.
On the ground is a large platinum bar.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/loud_room.jpg

IT'S REALLY LOUD IN HERE! IT'S HURTING MY HEAD JUST STANDING AROUND! BUT HEY! THERE'S A PLATINUM BAR HERE! THAT'S GOT TO BE WORTH A FEW ZORKMIDS! I'LL JUST TAKE IT...

>TAKE BAR
bar bar ...

ARG! THE NOISE! I CAN'T EVEN PICK UP A TREASURE THANKS TO THE ROAR! I'M GETTING OUT OF HERE BEFORE I GO TOTALLY DEAF!

>E
Damp Cave
This cave has exits to the west and east, and narrows to a crack toward the south. The earth is particularly damp here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/damp_cave.jpg

It's still loud in here but not so loud that everything dies. There's a light to the east. Oh... pretty...

>e
White Cliffs Beach
You are on a narrow strip of beach which runs along the base of the White Cliffs. There is a narrow path heading south along the Cliffs and a tight passage leading west into the cliffs themselves.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/white_cliffs_beach.jpg

I can continue south here but it's just more beach. Underground beach. Back at the round room I go north.

>n
North-South Passage
This is a high north-south passage, which forks to the northeast.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/n_s_passage.jpg

I'll just stick heading north for now.

>n
Chasm
A chasm runs southwest to northeast and the path follows it. You are on the south side of the chasm, where a crack opens into a passage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/chasm.jpg

Fascinating. North-east it is then.

>ne
Reservoir South
You are in a long room on the south shore of a large lake, far too deep and wide for crossing.
There is a path along the stream to the east or west, a steep pathway climbing southwest along the edge of a chasm, and a path leading into a canyon to the southeast.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/reservoir_south.jpg

If I still had a bottle I could fill it up here.

Loki
01-17-2009, 09:45 PM
>w
Stream View
You are standing on a path beside a gently flowing stream. The path follows the stream, which flows from west to east.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/stream_view.jpg

This is a dead end. The cave to the west is too small to fit through. East then.

>e
Dam
You are standing on the top of the Flood Control Dam #3, which was quite a tourist attraction in times far distant. There are paths to the north, south, and west, and a scramble down.
The sluice gates on the dam are closed. Behind the dam, there can be seen a wide reservoir. Water is pouring over the top of the now abandoned dam.
There is a control panel here, on which a large metal bolt is mounted. Directly above the bolt is a small green plastic bubble.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/dam.jpg

WOAH! After several minuets of boring tunnels I find this. Immense. Thing. I've heard legends about it. It was one of King Dimwit's projects. He wanted to build Flood Control Dam #2 but a mistake in the blueprints resulted in the damn being named #3. No one knows where #1 is or if it even exists. One has to wonder about the usefulness of a dam underground where it never rains.

The control panel here doesn't warrant a picture. I drew one anyway.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/controll_pannel.jpg

Study it closely. I'm going to check out that building.

>n
Dam Lobby
This room appears to have been the waiting room for groups touring the dam. There are open doorways here to the north and east marked "Private", and there is a path leading south over the top of the dam.
Some guidebooks entitled "Flood Control Dam #3" are on the reception desk.
There is a matchbook whose cover says "Visit Beautiful FCD#3" here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/dam_lobby.jpg

Ahh. It's nice to get away from the caves and back to the comforts of modern living. I pocket the matchbook and flip through the guidebook.

>take matchbook
Taken.

>read matchbook

(Close cover before striking)

YOU too can make BIG MONEY in the exciting field of PAPER SHUFFLING!

Mr. Anderson of Muddle, Mass. says: "Before I took this course I was a lowly bit twiddler. Now with what I learned at GUE Tech I feel really important and can obfuscate and confuse with the best."

Dr. Blank had this to say: "Ten short days ago all I could look forward to was a dead-end job as a doctor. Now I have a promising future and make really big Zorkmids."

GUE Tech can't promise these fantastic results to everyone. But when you earn your degree from GUE Tech, your future will be brighter.

>read guidebook
(Taken)
" Flood Control Dam #3

FCD#3 was constructed in year 783 of the Great Underground Empire to harness the mighty Frigid River. This work was supported by a grant of 37 million zorkmids from your omnipotent local tyrant Lord Dimwit Flathead the Excessive. This impressive structure is composed of 370,000 cubic feet of concrete, is 256 feet tall at the center, and 193 feet wide at the top. The lake created behind the dam has a volume of 1.7 billion cubic feet, an area of 12 million square feet, and a shore line of 36 thousand feet.

We will now point out some of the more interesting features of FCD#3 as we conduct you on a guided tour of the facilities:
1) You start your tour here in the Dam Lobby. You will notice on your right that....

Seeing as there is no one here I think it would be okay to go through those restricted access doors. Checking them both I see they lead to the same place.

>n
Maintenance Room
This is what appears to have been the maintenance room for Flood Control Dam #3. Apparently, this room has been ransacked recently, for most of the valuable equipment is gone. On the wall in front of you is a group of buttons colored blue, yellow, brown, and red. There are doorways to the west and south.
There is a group of tool chests here.
There is a wrench here.
There is an object which looks like a tube of toothpaste here.
There is a screwdriver here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/maintenance_room.jpg

>take chest
The chests are so rusty and corroded that they crumble when you touch them.

Err. Oh. I'm still able to pilfer the wrench, screwdriver, and tube.

>look at tube
---> Frobozz Magic Gunk Company <---
All-Purpose Gunk

Heading back out on the damn I move downwards to an impressive view.

>l
Dam Base
You are at the base of Flood Control Dam #3, which looms above you and to the north. The river Frigid is flowing by here. Along the river are the White Cliffs which seem to form giant walls stretching from north to south along the shores of the river as it winds its way downstream.
There is a folded pile of plastic here which has a small valve attached.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/dam_base.jpg

>look at plastic
There's nothing special about the pile of plastic.

>look at valve
There's nothing special about the pile of plastic.

Whatever that pile is it's not giving up its secrets easily. I'm carrying too much stuff to pick it up so I'll leave it here for now. South of the dam brings me to:

>s
Deep Canyon
You are on the south edge of a deep canyon. Passages lead off to the east, northwest and southwest. A stairway leads down. You can hear the sound of flowing water from below.

East takes me back to the dam, northwest to South of the Reservoir, southwest to the North-South Passage, and down to that loud room.

Whew! That was a lot of exploring but I think I've gone everywhere I can now. There's a lot of new stuff here so let's go over it.

Puzzles:
A locked grate.
A normal rainbow.
A jeweled egg.
A barred trap door.
A heavy painting.
A tight chimney.
A twisty maze.
An ugly reflection.
A rejection to hell.
A high dome.
A REALLY LOUD ROOM.
A control panel.
Four buttons.
and a pile of plastic.

Inventory:
A screwdriver
A wrench
A tube of gunk
A Matchbook
A rope
A brown sack
The brown sack contains:
A lunch
A clove of garlic
A jewel-encrusted egg
A brass lantern (providing light)
A sword

Score: Your score is 45 (total of 350 points). This gives you the rank of Amateur Adventurer.

Deaths: 3 (Grue fang, self-stabbed, troll axed)

Bongo Bill
01-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Jump.

Loki
01-17-2009, 10:01 PM
I assume you mean off the dam.

>jump
Very good. Now you can go to the second grade.

The game doesn't let you jump off the dam.

shivam
01-17-2009, 10:25 PM
this tunnel was made just for me? thanks, loki. that story scarred me for life when i first read it, but i had successfully put it out of my head forever....UNTIL THIS FUCKING MOMENT! I CAN'T UNSEE IT.

Bongo Bill
01-17-2009, 11:25 PM
I assume you mean off the dam.

Nope!

EDIT: Hey, Loki, if you ever do another LP like this, can I suggest Lost Pig (http://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=mohwfk47yjzii14w)?

Brickroad
01-17-2009, 11:38 PM
OH MY GOD WE HAVE TO OPEN THAT DAMN DAM.

What is the green bubble on the control panel, exactly? Can you take the bolt off with the wrench or the screwdriver or something? Failing that, go back to the Maintenance Room and just start pushing buttons randomly.

Can you use it to climb down from the Dome Room using the rope?

Is there anything you can plug your ears with so the Loud Room doesn't bother you so much? Like, say, some Frobozz Magic Gunk Company All-Purpose Gunk?

Octopus Prime
01-18-2009, 02:03 AM
That green bubble, it tests me.

Strike that panel with you Magic Sword!

Loki
01-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Can you use it to climb down from the Dome Room using the rope?

I'll mess around with the damn in a bit. This seems like a really good idea and I want to explore it first.

>tie rope to railing
The rope drops over the side and comes within ten feet of the floor.

>d
Torch Room
This is a large room with a prominent doorway leading to a down staircase. Above you is a large dome. Up around the edge of the dome (20 feet up) is a wooden railing. In the center of the room sits a white marble pedestal.
A piece of rope descends from the railing above, ending some five feet above your head.
Sitting on the pedestal is a flaming torch, made of ivory.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/torch_room.jpg

Uhhh... oops. The rope doesn't quite reach all the way down. I hope I can still get back up.

>u
You cannot reach the rope.

Crap. Maybe there's another way out. At least now I have fire and can conserve my lantern battery.

>take torch

Well... I'll just leave the lantern here. I'll come back if I need it.

>take torch
Taken.

Woah hey, my score just went up by 14 points!

>s
Temple
This is the north end of a large temple. On the east wall is an ancient inscription, probably a prayer in a long-forgotten language. Below the prayer is a staircase leading down. The west wall is solid granite. The exit to the north end of the room is through huge marble pillars.
There is a brass bell here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/temple.jpg

>read inscription
The prayer is inscribed in an ancient script, rarely used today. It seems to be a philippic against small insects, absent-mindedness, and the picking up and dropping of small objects. The final verse consigns trespassers to the land of the dead. All evidence indicates that the beliefs of the ancient Zorkers were obscure.

All these references to "ancient Zorkers" are weird and this is the only game in the series that contains them. They're from before the larger mythology of Zork was established (though Dimwit Flathead is referenced in this game). There are no ancient Zorkers. "Zork" is not a place. It's just the name of the game and has no in-universe equivalent. The reference should read "ancient Quendorians."

I pick up the bell on my way through.

>ring bell
Ding, dong.

>e
Egyptian Room
This is a room which looks like an Egyptian tomb. There is an ascending staircase to the west.
The solid-gold coffin used for the burial of Ramses II is here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/egyptian_room.jpg

This room is s-s-scary.

>look at coffin
The gold coffin is closed.

And I'm not about to open it. Back up to the temple.

>s
Altar
This is the south end of a large temple. In front of you is what appears to be an altar. In one corner is a small hole in the floor which leads into darkness. You probably could not get back up it.
On the two ends of the altar are burning candles.
On the altar is a large black book, open to page 569.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/altar.jpg

This look promising.

>read book
Commandment #12592

Oh ye who go about saying unto each: "Hello sailor":
Dost thou know the magnitude of thy sin before the gods?
Yea, verily, thou shalt be ground between two stones.
Shall the angry gods cast thy body into the whirlpool?
Surely, thy eye shall be put out with a sharp stick!
Even unto the ends of the earth shalt thou wander and
Unto the land of the dead shalt thou be sent at last.
Surely thou shalt repent of thy cunning.

>read page 570
Beside page 569, there is only one other page with any legible printing on it. Most of it is unreadable, but the subject seems to be the banishment of evil. Apparently, certain noises, lights, and prayers are efficacious in this regard.

Interesting. And the hole looks like it might be the way out of this area.

>d
Cave
This is a tiny cave with entrances west and north, and a dark, forbidding staircase leading down.

The hole takes me back to the tiny cave just south of the mirror room. Downwards leads to hell.

Puzzles:
A locked grate.
A normal rainbow.
A jeweled egg.
A barred trap door.
A heavy painting.
A tight chimney.
A twisty maze.
An ugly reflection.
A rejection to hell.
A high dome.
A REALLY LOUD ROOM.
A control panel.
Four buttons.
A pile of plastic.
A scary coffin.
A mysterious temple.

Inventory:
A screwdriver
A wrench
A tube of gunk
A Matchbook
A brass bell
A torch (providing light)
A brown sack
The brown sack contains:
A lunch
A clove of garlic
A jewel-encrusted egg
A sword

Score: >score
Your score is 59 (total of 350 points). This gives you the rank of Novice Adventurer. Rank up!

Wolf
01-18-2009, 09:53 AM
It sounds like the game is trying to direct you toward hell. I wonder, with that mention of noises that can ward off evil, if maybe the bell is part of something you can use to get through hell and find whatever it is you need there.

EDIT: Also, you should definitely open up that sarcophagus.

Loki
01-18-2009, 10:43 AM
But there might be a m-m-m-MONSTER inside.

Violentvixen
01-18-2009, 11:09 AM
I've gotten a little turned around now, but can we get back to the loud room? If so, ring the bell in there!

Loki
01-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Here's a map of where I've been so far.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/map_1.jpg

OKAY I'M BACK IN THE LOUD ROOM.

>RING BELL
bell bell ...

IT'S TOO DAMN LOUD! THE ECHOS! I'M GOING TO GO BACK AND TRY THAT GUNK IN EAR IDEA BRICKROAD HAD.

>W
Round Room

>open tube
Opening the tube reveals a viscous material.

>take material
Taken.

>put material in ear
I don't know the word "ear".

Drat it all! I guess I'm not going to be able to shove mysterious goo into my ear.

Wolf
01-18-2009, 11:53 AM
But there might be a m-m-m-MONSTER inside.

You've got a cool glowing sword that has already demonstrated its potential for smiting things. Anyway, I'm surprised you could possibly resist that sarcophagus. Aren't all adventurers rampant kleptomaniacs?

Octopus Prime
01-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Aren't all adventurers rampant kleptomaniacs?

All the good ones are.

Are you going to stand for being called a sub-par adventure hero, Loki? You crack open that sarcophagus and sword the HELL out of whatever is inside, nabbing all the swag you can!

Merus
01-18-2009, 05:36 PM
Isn't there an in-universe paper called the New Zork Times?

You should run it, then build a gigantic palace called Zanadu, then whisper the name of your girlfriend's naughty bits as your last words.

That's the way to go!

Kirin
01-19-2009, 08:58 AM
If a monster comes out of the sarcophagus you should PUNCH it.

Sporophyte
01-19-2009, 09:33 AM
I hear you have to burn the rope.

And possibly the contents of that sarcophagus.

Wolf
01-19-2009, 10:17 AM
If a monster comes out of the sarcophagus you should PUNCH it.

Preferably in the biscuits, for maximum damage.

Wolf
01-19-2009, 10:33 AM
You know, this has been bugging me for a while, but... Am I the only one to notice how simliar this

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y102/d_wolf81/egg.jpg

is to AJR's Avatar?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y102/d_wolf81/AJRsAvatar.gif

Octopus Prime
01-19-2009, 11:01 AM
You know, this has been bugging me for a while, but... Am I the only one to notice how simliar this

bear-egg!

is to AJR's Avatar?

egg-bear?

I thought it was intentional.

Loki
01-19-2009, 11:20 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/beartato-fortunecookieB1.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/beartato-fortunecookieB2.gif

Wolf
01-19-2009, 11:34 AM
I see.

Loki
01-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Okay, somethings to do here. Since I'm so close to hell I'll go down and ring the bell like Wolf suggested.

>d
Entrance to Hades

>ring bell
The bell suddenly becomes red hot and falls to the ground. The wraiths, as if paralyzed, stop their jeering and slowly turn to face you. On their ashen faces, the expression of a long-forgotten terror takes shape.

What else did the book say? I wish I had brought it with me but I'm carrying around so much stuff as it is. It said something about lights and prayer?

>say prayer
That sentence isn't one I recognize.

>pray
If you pray enough, your prayers may be answered.

>wave torch
Waving the torch has no effect.
The tension of this ceremony is broken, and the wraiths, amused but shaken at your clumsy attempt, resume their hideous jeering.

It looks like ringing the bell is the right step but I need to somehow incorporate lights and prayer into this ceremony. I wait until the bell cools then retrieve it.

Carrying all this stuff is starting to annoy me. I need to get back to the house so I can unload this junk. I'm sure that I can get back up the chimney if I'm not carrying so much. I head back to the studio. On the way back I pass through the Gallery.

Gallery
This is an art gallery. Most of the paintings have been stolen by vandals with exceptional taste. The vandals left through either the north or west exits.

Wait... I left the painting in here but now it's missing. Something strange is going on. In the studio I drop everything but the lantern (I went back and got it) and try climbing up the chimney.

>u
Kitchen

It worked! Now back to the trap door. I open it and head back down.

>d
The trap door crashes shut, and you hear someone barring it.

Dang! Someone closed the door again. I guess stuff with my stuff down here until I can find another way out or stop whoever keeps closing the door on me. I go back to get my stuff. Thankfully, it hasn't disappeared while I was gone. Wait... The egg! The jeweled egg is missing! This isn't good. Who is doing this?

I *glup* swallow my fears and head back to the Egyptian Room.

>e
Egyptian Room
The solid-gold coffin used for the burial of Ramses II is here.

I brandish my sword and open the coffin, prepared for anything.

>open coffin
The gold coffin opens.
A sceptre, possibly that of ancient Egypt itself, is in the coffin. The sceptre is ornamented with colored enamel, and tapers to a sharp point.

There was no mummy after all! What a stupid baby I've been. Here I am afraid of nothing. Let's look at this scepter.

>look at sceptre
There's nothing special about the sceptre.

Hm...

>take sceptre
Taken.

Woah! My score just jumped up 4 points. It seems that whenever I acquire something of value my score goes up. Interesting.

I'm going to head back to the damn now and mess around with the control panel. First, OctoPrime wanted me to hit it with my sword. Seems as good an idea as any.

>hit panel with sword
I've known strange people, but fighting a control panel?

I guess not.

>turn bolt with wrench
The bolt won't turn with your best effort.

That's not working either. Maybe those buttons in the maintenance room will do something. I head through the lobby to get there.

>press blue button
There is a rumbling sound and a stream of water appears to burst from the east wall of the room (apparently, a leak has occurred in a pipe).
The water level here is now up to your ankles.

Oh ship! The water's rising fast and I'll be drowned in a mater of seconds! No time to do anything else. I've got to stop this leak somehow.

>press blue button
The blue button appears to be jammed.
The water level here is now up to your shin.

Oh god, guys you got to help me out!

Puzzles:
A locked grate.
A normal rainbow.
A barred trap door.
A heavy painting.
A twisty maze.
An ugly reflection.
A rejection to hell.
A REALLY LOUD ROOM.
A control panel.
Four buttons.
A pile of plastic.
A mysterious temple.
Missing objects.
AND RISING WATER OH NO IT'S UP TO MY KNEES!

Inventory:
A screwdriver
A wrench
A tube of gunk
A Matchbook
A brass bell
A brown sack
The brown sack contains:
A lunch
A clove of garlic
A jewel-encrusted egg
A sword
A sceptre

Score:Your score is 63 (total of 350 points). This gives you the rank of Novice Adventurer.

Brickroad
01-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Quick! Plug the leak with Magic All-Purpose Super Gunk!

Or, failing that, drink as much as you can as fast as you can.

Octopus Prime
01-19-2009, 01:06 PM
You have Gunk, man! Use the Gunk! Gunk up the hole so you're adventures don't come to an end here!

Loki
01-19-2009, 02:09 PM
The gunk! Of course!

>open tube
Opening the tube reveals a viscous material.

>take material
Taken.

>put material on pipe
By some miracle of Zorkian technology, you have managed to stop the leak in the dam.

Phew! Dang that was close. And I didn't even get any points for my troubles.

>squeeze tube
The tube is apparently empty.

And I'm now out of gunk. Oh well. I'm going to abandon the tube here. Next button!

>press yellow button
Click.

Well... that did something. Maybe there's a change out on the dam.

>s
Dam
You are standing on the top of the Flood Control Dam #3, which was quite a tourist attraction in times far distant. There are paths to the north, south, and west, and a scramble down.
The sluice gates on the dam are closed. Behind the dam, there can be seen a wide reservoir. Water is pouring over the top of the now abandoned dam.
There is a control panel here, on which a large metal bolt is mounted. Directly above the bolt is a small green plastic bubble which is glowing serenely.

Well hey what do you know? The bubble's glowing. Maybe now the bolt will turn?

>turn bolt with wrench
The sluice gates open and water pours through the dam.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/dam_opened.jpg

Amazing! What a sight! I wonder what open the dam accomplishes. Let's look around.

>w
Reservoir South
You are in a long room. To the north is a large lake, too deep to cross. You notice, however, that the water level appears to be dropping at a rapid rate. Before long, it might be possible to cross to the other side from here.

The water's dropping. In a little bit I'll be able to cross.

>e
Loud Room
It is unbearably loud here, with an ear-splitting roar seeming to come from all around you.

IT'S EVEN LOUDER THAN BEFORE! I CAN BARELY HEAR MYSELF. I-I CAN'T STAND IT!

There is a pounding in your head which won't stop. With a tremendous effort, you scramble out of the room.

Looks like I won't be going back into there for a while. Let's see if the Reservoir is drained yet.

Reservoir South
You are in a long room, to the north of which was formerly a lake. However, with the water level lowered, there is merely a wide stream running through the center of the room.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/reservoir_drained.jpg

Yep. I think I can cross now.

>n
Reservoir
You are on what used to be a large lake, but which is now a large mud pile. There are "shores" to the north and south.
Lying half buried in the mud is an old trunk, bulging with jewels.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/reservior.jpg

I did it! I hit the jackpot! I'm rich RICH RICH!

>take chest
Your load is too heavy.

This is really getting annoying. I'm wary to drop anything because it keeps disappearing and I can't pick up anything new. I've got to find a way out of here. Maybe that Maze leads out. I just need a strategy for mapping it. Until then let's see what lies across the reservoir.

>n
Reservoir North
You are in a large cavernous room, the south of which was formerly a lake. However, with the water level lowered, there is merely a wide stream running through there.
There is a slimy stairway leaving the room to the north.
There is a hand-held air pump here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/reservoir_north.jpg

Strange. It's like a bicycle pump or something. I'm leaving it hear because I can't carry anymore. What else is new?

>n
Atlantis Room
This is an ancient room, long under water. There is an exit to the south and a staircase leading up.
On the shore lies Poseidon's own crystal trident.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/atlantis_room.jpg

Looks interesting. Can't carry it. Moving on.

>u
Cave
This is a tiny cave with entrances west and north, and a staircase leading down.

>w
Twisting Passage
This is a winding passage. It seems that there are only exits on the east and north.

This layout of rooms seems awfully familiar...

>n
Mirror Room
You are in a large square room with tall ceilings. On the south wall is an enormous mirror which fills the entire wall. There are exits on the other three sides of the room.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/mirror_room_n.jpg

Another mirror room! That's why the layout seems familiar. These rooms mirror those to the south.

>look at reflection
There is an ugly person staring back at you.

And this mirror is just as insulting.

>n
Cold Passage
This is a cold and damp corridor where a long east-west passageway turns into a southward path.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/cold_passage.jpg

Brrr... It's getting chilly. This section of the empire somehow feels much more remote and foreboding than the caves south of the reservoir.

>w
Slide Room
This is a small chamber, which appears to have been part of a coal mine. On the south wall of the chamber the letters "Granite Wall" are etched in the rock. To the east is a long passage, and there is a steep metal slide twisting downward. To the north is a small opening.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/slide_room.jpg

I think I know where this slide goes. I'm going to keep exploring before I take a trip down it.

>n
Mine Entrance
You are standing at the entrance of what might have been a coal mine. The shaft enters the west wall, and there is another exit on the south end of the room.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/mine_enterance.jpg

An old coal mine. There might be some treasures in here.

>w
Squeaky Room
You are in a small room. Strange squeaky sounds may be heard coming from the passage at the north end. You may also escape to the east.

Sounds like someone need to oil his mine-cart.

>n
Bat Room
You are in a small room which has doors only to the east and south.
A large vampire bat, hanging from the ceiling, swoops down at you!
There is an exquisite jade figurine here.
Fweep!
Fweep!
Fweep!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/bat_room.jpg

The bat grabs you by the scruff of your neck and lifts you away....

Coal Mine
This is a non-descript part of a coal mine.

I didn't even get a chance to swing my sword at the thing. And now I'm lost! This mine is very twisty-turvy, just like the maze.

>n
Coal Mine
There is a nasty knife here.

My knife! How the heck did it get here?! I would pocket it, but, you know.

>e
Coal Mine

>s
Coal Mine

>n
Gas Room
This is a small room which smells strongly of coal gas. There is a short climb up some stairs and a narrow tunnel leading east.
There is a sapphire-encrusted bracelet here.
Oh dear. It appears that the smell coming from this room was coal gas. I would have thought twice about carrying flaming objects in here.

** BOOOOOOOOOOOM **

**** You have died ****

Nice. This is what I get for taking on a bat? Exploded? I RESTORE to right before the bat carried me away.

Puzzles:
A locked grate.
A normal rainbow.
A barred trap door.
A heavy painting.
A twisty maze.
Two ugly reflections.
A rejection to hell.
A REALLY REALLY LOUD ROOM.
A pile of plastic.
A mysterious temple.
Missing objects.
A fast bat.
A gassy room.

Inventory:
A screwdriver
A wrench
A Matchbook
A brass bell
A brown sack
The brown sack contains:
A lunch
A clove of garlic
A sword
A sceptre

Score:Your score is 63 (total of 350 points). This gives you the rank of Novice Adventurer.

Deaths: 4 (Grue fang, self-stabbed, troll axed, exploded-up) And bat claw wounds on the back of my neck.

Brickroad
01-19-2009, 02:13 PM
The inventory thing is pissing me off too.

I say you make your way to where the chimney is, carry a few things up into the kitchen, leave them there, then continue this process until every takable item in the dungeon is in a huge pile in the white house.

Octopus Prime
01-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Man, that White House has one crazy-big basement.

Presumably you should go east, since the bat kills you indirectly.

Loki
01-19-2009, 02:20 PM
I say you make your way to where the chimney is, carry a few things up into the kitchen, leave them there, then continue this process until every takable item in the dungeon is in a huge pile in the white house.

I could do that... =\

Wolf
01-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Something I learned doing mazes in Return to Zork: drop items at intervals in the mazes to create landmarks. Obviously, you want to make sure those aren't items of immediate necessity, so I'm not sure that would work, but it would at least free up some of your inventory.

Can you carry some of the treasures into the house, maybe put some of them into the display cabinet?

Also, is there any way you could post a map of rooms currently explored when you finish one of your updates? I know you posted one a while back, but it would be infinitely helpful to post an updated one. It's difficult for me to keep all the relative locations straight in my head, which is probably the one reason I don't play as much interactive fiction as I'd like.

EDIT: Also also, go back, grab your lantern (drop something non-essential if you must) and put out your torch before you get into those caves.

Yes, I think this encumbrance thing is a bitch.

Matchstick
01-19-2009, 02:24 PM
>w
Living Room
You are in the living room. There is a doorway to the east, a wooden door with strange gothic lettering to the west, which appears to be nailed shut, a trophy case, and a large oriental rug in the center of the room.
Above the trophy case hangs an elvish sword of great antiquity.
A battery-powered brass lantern is on the trophy case.

Hmmmmmmmm.

One other interesting trivial note: the maze is a reference to the original Colossal Caves, but Infocom added a twist to screw people that were familiar with that game and how to solve the problem of mazes.

Merus
01-19-2009, 07:08 PM
I think we should restore so we get our egg back.

Loki
01-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Presumably you should go east, since the bat kills you indirectly.

Back to the east and down the slide leads me back to the cellar just as I thought it would.

Something I learned doing mazes in Return to Zork: drop items at intervals in the mazes to create landmarks. Obviously, you want to make sure those aren't items of immediate necessity, so I'm not sure that would work, but it would at least free up some of your inventory.

That seems like a good strategy for figuring this maze out. Judicious use of SAVE/RESTORE prevents me from loosing any items and when I'm done I end up with a map detailing the maze:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/map_map.jpg

There's a few interesting things here. The first is the room with the red X.

Maze
This is part of a maze of twisty little passages, all alike. A skeleton, probably the remains of a luckless adventurer, lies here.
Beside the skeleton is a rusty knife.
The deceased adventurer's useless lantern is here.
There is a skeleton key here.
An old leather bag, bulging with coins, is here.

Some poor fool made it this far before dying of thirst or grue or something. I could care less about his knife and lantern. What interests me are the bag of gold coins and the key. I'm carrying too much to take the coins but I'm able to pick up the key with my mouth. I think we all know what the key unlocks. In fact the room in south-western part of the map leads to...

Grating Room
You are in a small room near the maze. There are twisty passages in the immediate vicinity.
Above you is a grating locked with a skull-and-crossbones lock.

The underside of the grate! This explains how the other adventurer ended up down here. What I don't understand is why he locked the grate behind him.

>unlock grate with key
The grate is unlocked.

>drop key
Dropped.

>open grate
The grating opens to reveal trees above you.

Now I can move freely above and underground. I take some time to collect all the crap I've seen but couldn't take and store it in the living room. During this I went back underground through the trap door and this time it didn't close on me. This means I don't have to navigate through the maze each time I want to leave. I guess whom ever was closing it on me realized that it was a futile effort now that I can get out through the gate.

As I picked up the more treasury-items I was awarded some points:
Bag of coins - 10
>look at coins
There are lots of coins in there.
Trunk of Jewels - 15
>look at trunk
There are lots of jewels in there.
Gold Coffin - 10

Unfortunately, the crystal trident was missing when I returned to the Atlantis Room. When I tried to take the coffin down the hole in the alter I get this message:

You haven't a prayer of getting the coffin down there.

Even when I'm carrying nothing else but my lantern. There has to be another way to get it out of the Temple. The living room now contains:

There is a brown sack here.
The brown sack contains:
A lunch
A clove of garlic
There is a screwdriver here.
There is a black book here.
There is a pair of candles here (providing light).
There is a hand-held air pump here.
There is an old trunk here, bulging with assorted jewels.
There is a bloody axe here.
There is a folded pile of plastic here which has a small valve attached.
An old leather bag, bulging with coins, is here.
There is a brass lantern (battery-powered) here.
There is a brass bell here.
An ornamented sceptre, tapering to a sharp point, is here.
There is a wrench here.
There is a matchbook whose cover says "Visit Beautiful FCD#3" here.
On the ground is a pile of leaves.

Can you carry some of the treasures into the house, maybe put some of them into the display cabinet?

I guess that's as good a place as any for treasures.

>open case
Opened.

>put bag of coins in case
Done.

Woah! I just scored 5 more points! It looks like that getting treasures gains some points and then putting them in the case gives some more. The following points were awarded for displaying treasures:

Sceptre - 6
Trunk of Jewels - 5

I refrained from putting the torch in just yet so I can keep using it as a light source.

There's one more place I can get to from the maze. I've marked it on the map with a single eye.

Cyclops Room
This room has an exit on the northwest, and a staircase leading up.
A cyclops, who looks prepared to eat horses (much less mere adventurers), blocks the staircase. From his state of health, and the bloodstains on the walls, you gather that he is not very friendly, though he likes people.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/cyclops_room.jpg

Shit! Shitshitshitshitshit! I don't think I can fight this thing, guys, but maybe I can. I did fell a troll after all. What do you think?

Puzzles:
A normal rainbow.
A heavy painting.
Two ugly reflections.
A rejection to hell.
A pile of plastic.
A mysterious temple.
Missing objects.
A fast bat.
A gassy room.
An angry cyclops

Inventory:
A screwdriver
A wrench
A Matchbook
A brass bell
Two Candles
A Black Book
A brown sack
The brown sack contains:
A lunch
A clove of garlic
A sword
An air pump
A troll's axe

Treasures:
A scepter decorated with a rainbow of gems
A Chest full of Jewels
A Bag chock full of golden coins

Score:Your score is 114 (total of 350 points). This gives you the rank of Junior Adventurer. Gained a level!

Deaths: 4 (Grue fang, self-stabbed, troll axed, exploded-up)

A map of where I've been can be seen here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/map_2.jpg).

Shadax
01-22-2009, 05:49 PM
I would open up with a friendly conversation about your favorite crater on the moons of Saturn. He knows exactly what you are talking about, so just simply saying "Odysseus" should get the ball rolling.

Merus
01-22-2009, 07:13 PM
We still don't have our egg back.

DeeMer
01-22-2009, 07:45 PM
Is it possible to stuff items in the sack to increase your carrying capacity?

As for the Cyclops? Poke him in the eye (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=361439&postcount=89).

Bongo Bill
01-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Count the coins and the jewels next time you're in the vicinity of either.

Loki
01-22-2009, 08:29 PM
Is it possible to stuff items in the sack to increase your carrying capacity?

It's possible to put things in the sack but they still retain their encumbrance. Stuffing things into it leaves you hoisting around a very heavy sack.
Which is an everyday experience for me.

Octopus Prime
01-23-2009, 01:59 AM
If he's content to eat horses and people, chances are that he'd eat just about anything. Give him some garlic and leave him content.

If that doesn't work, take your blade and smite the Cyclops' ruin across this labyrinth!

Sporophyte
01-23-2009, 02:23 AM
Convince the cyclops to swallow you whole and then cut your way out with your glowing sword.

Loki
01-23-2009, 10:35 AM
If he's content to eat horses and people, chances are that he'd eat just about anything. Give him some garlic and leave him content.

>give garlic to cyclops
The cyclops may be hungry, but there is a limit.

He'll eat a horse but not garlic. Fantastic!

If that doesn't work, take your blade and smite the Cyclops' ruin across this labyrinth!

>kill cyclops with sword
The cyclops shrugs but otherwise ignores your pitiful attempt.
The cyclops seems somewhat agitated.

I will not give up!

>g
The cyclops is moving about the room, looking for something.

A-ha! I have him on the run!

>g
The cyclops was looking for salt and pepper. No doubt they are condiments for his upcoming snack.

The snack of his death. By my sword!

>g
The cyclops is moving toward you in an unfriendly manner.

Coming to meet his demise no doubt!

>g
You have two choices: 1. Leave 2. Become dinner.

Or 3. Win everything. I choose 3.

>g
The cyclops, tired of all of your games and trickery, grabs you firmly. As he licks his chops, he says "Mmm. Just like Mom used to make 'em." It's nice to be appreciated.

**** You have died ****

How did this happen?! I was winning! RESTORE.

I would open up with a friendly conversation about your favorite crater on the moons of Saturn. He knows exactly what you are talking about, so just simply saying "Odysseus" should get the ball rolling.

For lack of any other ideas I guess I'll try CJ Awesome's stupid suggestion.

>Odysseus
The cyclops, hearing the name of his father's deadly nemesis, flees the room by knocking down the wall on the east of the room.

It... it worked. Who would have known? Amazingly, this puzzle is clued. The prayer in the black book references Homer's Odyssey and the first letter on each line spells out "Odysseus." Still, it's an obscure clue to a touch puzzle. The cyclops can also be defeated by feeding him the lunch and then giving him the bottle of water. He'll up and go to sleep after he's drunk. I would have done that instead but somebody feed the bottle to the troll.

Since the cyclops has been so kind to open the way east for me it would be rude not to take it.

>e
Strange Passage
This is a long passage. To the west is one entrance. On the east there is an old wooden door, with a large opening in it (about cyclops sized).

>e
Living Room

Hey! Another short cut to the Living room. Works for me. Except it doesn't work for me. How does an underground passage leading east connect to the living room? This part always bothered me.

Back in the Cyclops Room there's also those stairs up.

>u
You hear a scream of anguish as you violate the robber's hideaway. Using passages unknown to you, he rushes to its defense.
The thief gestures mysteriously, and the treasures in the room suddenly vanish.

A magical thief! He must have been the cause of all the disappearing items! Well, it's payback time. Adventurer style ...which means to do what you guys tell me to.

Treasure Room
This is a large room, whose east wall is solid granite. A number of discarded bags, which crumble at your touch, are scattered about on the floor. There is an exit down a staircase.
There is a suspicious-looking individual, holding a large bag, leaning against one wall. He is armed with a deadly stiletto.
There is a silver chalice, intricately engraved, here.
You parry a low thrust, and your sword slips out of your hand.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/treasure_room.jpg

Damn thief. At least I scored 25 points for getting this far. What to do, Talking Time?

Puzzles:
A normal rainbow.
A heavy painting.
Two ugly reflections.
A rejection to hell.
A pile of plastic.
A mysterious temple.
A fast bat.
A gassy room.
A lean and hungry gentleman.

Inventory:
A screwdriver
A wrench
A Matchbook
A brass bell
Two Candles
A Black Book
A brown sack
The brown sack contains:
A lunch
A clove of garlic
A sword
An air pump
A troll's axe

Treasures:
A Chest full of Jewels
A Bag chock full of golden coins

Score:Your score is 139 (total of 350 points). This gives you the rank of Junior Adventurer.

Deaths: 5 (Grue fang, self-stabbed, troll axed, exploded-up, cyclops eaten.)

Octopus Prime
01-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Maybe you can bribe the tricky scoundral away. WHat do you have that is tempting to a thief?

Of course!

Give him your air pump!

Wolf
01-23-2009, 10:46 AM
The answer is obvious. Pick up your sword, kill the thief and loot the body. The bastard probably has your AJR-shaped egg.

Brickroad
01-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Yeah, really. You can kill a troll but not some damned cutpurse? Pick up that glowy sword of yours and send it thief-ward.

Loki
01-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Maybe you can bribe the tricky scoundral away. WHat do you have that is tempting to a thief?

Of course!

Give him your air pump!

Lord knows I haven't found a use for it.

>give pump to thief
The thief places the hand-held air pump in his bag and thanks you politely.
The thief stabs nonchalantly with his stiletto and misses.

Dude, what the fuck!? I just gave you a damn air pump! Chill out!

The answer is obvious. Pick up your sword, kill the thief and loot the body. The bastard probably has your AJR-shaped egg.

I guess I don't have any other choice.

>Take sword
Taken.

>kill thief with sword
The quickness of your thrust knocks the thief back, stunned.
The thief slowly regains his feet.

Shoot. I was hoping for a quick victory.

>kill thief with sword
A good slash, but it misses the thief by a mile.
Shifting in the midst of a thrust, the thief knocks you unconscious with the haft of his stiletto.
The thief, a pragmatist, dispatches you as a threat to his livelihood.

**** You have died ****

Hrm. At least it was a quick something. RESTORE.

>kill thief with sword
Your sword misses the thief by an inch.
The thief comes in from the side, feints, and inserts the blade into your ribs.

**** You have died ****

Yikes! This scrawny fellow is some tough beans! RESTORE.

>kill thief with sword
You are still recovering from that last blow, so your attack is ineffective.
The thief draws blood, raking his stiletto across your arm.

Ow! My arm! You've crossed the line, Lupin. You're going DOWN.

>kill thief with sword
A good stroke, but it's too slow; the thief dodges.
The thief bows formally, raises his stiletto, and with a wry grin, ends the battle and your life.

**** You have died ****

... RESTORE. Maybe my problem is bringing a sword to a knife fight. My nasty dagger is presumably still in the mines. There is that rusty danger by the skeleton. I retreat out of the Treasure room and retrieve it.

>take rusty knife
As you touch the rusty knife, your sword gives a single pulse of blinding blue light.
Taken.

My sword is warning me that this thing is dangerous. Must be the tetanus. Now, let's go give that thief a taste of rust. I march back to the Treasure Room.

Treasure Room
There is a suspicious-looking individual, holding a large bag, leaning against one wall. He is armed with a deadly stiletto.
There is a silver chalice, intricately engraved, here.
The thief rams the haft of his blade into your stomach, leaving you out of breath.

OOF! That bastard didn't even give me a chance to get ready. This guy is just asking for a knife up the nose.

>kill thief with knife
As the knife approaches its victim, your mind is submerged by an overmastering will. Slowly, your hand turns, until the rusty blade is an inch from your neck. The knife seems to sing as it savagely slits your throat.

**** You have died ****

I... uh... Hmm... RESTORE.

Any ideas, fellows?

Thinaran
01-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Try to kill him with the wrench, the screwdriver, or the Troll Axe. Or maybe try conversing with him?

Loki
01-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Or maybe try conversing with him?

>talk to thief
The thief is a strong, silent type.
The thief pauses for a moment, perhaps thinking that you should re-read the manual.

Sky Render
01-23-2009, 11:29 AM
You could always give him the cursed knife. Who knows? Maybe he'll be an idiot and try to use it against you instead of his trusty stiletto.

Wolf
01-23-2009, 11:41 AM
You could always give him the cursed knife. Who knows? Maybe he'll be an idiot and try to use it against you instead of his trusty stiletto.

I second the motion.

Loki
01-23-2009, 12:24 PM

>give knife to thief
The thief places the rusty knife in his bag and thanks you politely.
The thief slowly approaches, strikes like a snake, and leaves you wounded.

There goes the knife...

Try to kill him with the wrench, the screwdriver, or the Troll Axe.

>kill thief with wrench
Trying to attack the thief with a wrench is suicidal.

So?

>kill thief with screwdriver
Trying to attack the thief with a screwdriver is suicidal.

Zork, you let me stab myself with the knife. Stop being so hypercritical.

The axe is bigger and slower than the sword. Maybe if I distract the thief first...

>give torch to thief
The thief is taken aback by your unexpected generosity, but accepts the torch and stops to admire its beauty.

>kill thief with axe
The thief is struck on the arm; blood begins to trickle down.
The thief knocks you out.
The thief amuses himself by searching your pockets.
Finishing you off, the thief inserts his blade into your heart.

**** You have died ****

Maybe I need to level up more before I can take out this guy. RESTORE.

Octopus Prime
01-23-2009, 12:47 PM
A skinny guy with a knife is more dangerous then a troll or a man-eating cyclops? Seriously?

Punch the Thief. Knock his block off!

Wolf
01-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Distracting him seemed to give you an edge. Try giving him something genuinely valuable, though. Go to the display case and grab one of your treasures, then come back and give it too him. Then knock his ass out when he goes all "Ooh, shiny!" at it. Then stab him.

Stab him right in the face.

Octopus Prime
01-23-2009, 12:57 PM
And THEN Punch him.

Right in the biscuits!

Wolf
01-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Let's compromise: Stab him in the biscuits.

Ruik
01-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Distracting him seemed to give you an edge. Try giving him something genuinely valuable, though. Go to the display case and grab one of your treasures, then come back and give it too him. Then knock his ass out when he goes all "Ooh, shiny!" at it. Then stab him.

Stab him right in the face.

The torch is one of the valuable treasures though. We just haven't put it in the display case yet because it's also useful.

DANoWAR
01-23-2009, 01:25 PM
A skinny guy with a knife is more dangerous then a troll or a man-eating cyclops? Seriously?

Punch the Thief. Knock his block off!

Well, the troll and cyclops were strong but maybe dumb.

This guy is in a whole other class, he's intelligent, nimble, fast and can use his weapon.

Also, Loki, what version of Zork are you playing? I don't remember some of your room descriptions from my previous playthrough.

Well, maybe I'm just getting old and amnesiac.

Loki
01-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Unfortunately, Zork doesn't recognize "punch." All attacks must be done with a weapon.

One aspect of the game is that the score also represents experience. So a higher score makes the fight with the thief easier. Of course, it's harder to get a high score with the thief roaming about. The nasty knife also makes the battle easier but it's stuck in the mine. Distracting the thief with treasures helps, but only a little bit. What I finally had to do was get all the treasures I had into the case (including the torch) to get my score as high as possible. Even then it took quite a few tries before...

>kill thief with sword
It's curtains for the thief as your sword removes his head.
Almost as soon as the thief breathes his last breath, a cloud of sinister black fog envelops him, and when the fog lifts, the carcass has disappeared.
As the thief dies, the power of his magic decreases, and his treasures reappear:
A stiletto
A crystal trident
A jewel-encrusted egg, with a golden clockwork canary
A painting
The chalice is now safe to take.

A-phew... That... that was hard. But worth it! Here are all the treasures that had disappeared mysteriously. And it looks like the thief was skillful enough to open the egg!

>look at egg
There is a golden clockwork canary nestled in the egg. It has ruby eyes and a silver beak. Through a crystal window below its left wing you can see intricate machinery inside. It appears to have wound down.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/canary.jpg

>wind canary
The canary chirps blithely, if somewhat tinnily, for a short time.

Take the treasures nabs me some points:
Canary - 6
Trident - 4
Chalice - 10

And taking them back to the living room and storing them gets me some more:
Egg - 5
Canary - 4
Trident - 11
Chalice - 5

And now that I have a clear path I can drop everything but the torch and nab the painting. Getting it gives me 4 points and storing it 6 points.

That solves the mysterious disappearing items problem and the inventory problem. Now I can turn my eye on some of the other puzzles of the empire.

Puzzles:
A normal rainbow.
Two ugly reflections.
A rejection to hell.
A pile of plastic.
A mysterious temple.
A fast bat.
A gassy room.
A trapped coffin

Inventory:
A screwdriver
A wrench
A Matchbook
A brass bell
Two Candles
A Black Book
A brown sack
The brown sack contains:
A lunch
A clove of garlic
A sword
An air pump
A troll's axe
A stiletto

Treasures:
A chest full of jewels
A bag chock full of golden coins
A beautiful painting
A jewel encrusted bear-shaped egg
A wind-up canary
A silver chalice
A crystal trident

Score:Your score is 194 (total of 350 points). This gives you the rank of Junior Adventurer.

Deaths: 9 (Grue fang, self-stabbed, troll axed, exploded-up, cyclops eaten, stiletto sliced x3, rusty knife'd.)

Also, Loki, what version of Zork are you playing?

Revision 88 / Serial number 840726

Ruik
01-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Wait, you were able to take the painting just like that? I thought it was a puzzle that involved taking it out of its frame and rolling it up. Then again, it's been years and years since I've played the game. Also, I never knew your score made you a better fighter.

Master-J
01-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Return to the Gas Room and peruse, sans any flaming objects. The bracelet was probably shiny (and shiny is good).

Loki
01-24-2009, 01:28 PM
I would but there's a bat in the way.

Thinaran
01-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Try ringing the bell in front of the bat.

Sky Render
01-24-2009, 05:23 PM
It's a vampire bat, right? I bet the garlic will help somehow.

Master-J
01-24-2009, 08:21 PM

Hmm... I now suggest that you rub the garlic all over yourself and search the mine shaft for the giant bat.

Octopus Prime
01-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Wait, wait, I think I'm getting the hang of how this game works. The bat only wants to make you think it's a vampire so we'll use Garlic on it. So we've got to use the opposite of Garlic on it!

And what is the opposite of Garlic? That's right, a bejeweled Canary.

USE CANARY on BAT!

Master-J
01-25-2009, 10:56 PM
USE CANARY on BAT!

Interesting. Might as well cover all the bases: you should USE GARLIC on CANARY, then listen to OctoPrime (though the bat probably wants you to think that it wants you to think its a vampire).

liquidben
01-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Woo, late coming to it, but this thread is good so far. Look at that proud birdy!

Anyway, I think we need to relax, lighten up, and be merry and gay. Let's take our rainbow scepter to the rainbow room and be the Rainbow King! (Beat that, Lone Wolf)

Loki
02-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Try ringing the bell in front of the bat.

The problem is that the bat swoops down at me as soon as I enter the room. I don't have enough time to do anything before it whisks me away.

That's not a bad idea. I fish the garlic out of the sack and return to the Squeaky Room.

>n
Bat Room
You are in a small room which has doors only to the east and south.
In the corner of the room on the ceiling is a large vampire bat who is obviously deranged and holding his nose.
There is an exquisite jade figurine here.

>give garlic to bat
The bat refuses it politely.

What a nice fellow. He's too polite to take the garlic so I just leave it on the floor. Nabbing the Jade figurine nets me five points.

>e
Shaft Room
This is a large room, in the middle of which is a small shaft descending through the floor into darkness below. To the west and the north are exits from this room. Constructed over the top of the shaft is a metal framework to which a heavy iron chain is attached.
At the end of the chain is a basket.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/shaft_room.jpg

I can lower and raise the basket but it doesn't seem to accomplish anything. Moving on.

>n
Smelly Room
This is a small non-descript room. However, from the direction of a small descending staircase a foul odor can be detected. To the south is a narrow tunnel.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/smelly_room.jpg

I recognize that smell. It's gas. I bet 100 zorkmids that the room past here is the place I got blown up in before. I drop my torch and turn on the lantern before moving on.

>d
Gas Room
This is a small room which smells strongly of coal gas. There is a short climb up some stairs and a narrow tunnel leading east.
There is a sapphire-encrusted bracelet here.

This is defiantly the place. Now that I'm not wielding an open flame I can take the bracelet for a cool five points. East takes me into the mine proper. It's like the maze but not so complicated.

>e
Coal Mine

>ne
Coal Mine

>se
Coal Mine
There is a nasty knife here.

There's my knife again. This place seems as good as any so I leave it here.

>sw
Coal Mine

>d
Ladder Top
This is a very small room. In the corner is a rickety wooden ladder, leading downward. It might be safe to descend. There is also a staircase leading upward.

>d
Ladder Bottom
This is a rather wide room. On one side is the bottom of a narrow wooden ladder. To the west and the south are passages leaving the room.

You'll have to excuse me for not drawing the ladder. If you want to know what it looked like imagine a ladder. There you go.

>s
Dead End
You have come to a dead end in the mine.
There is a small pile of coal here.

Might as well. I take the coal, head back to the ladder, and go west.

>w
Timber Room
This is a long and narrow passage, which is cluttered with broken timbers. A wide passage comes from the east and turns at the west end of the room into a very narrow passageway. From the west comes a strong draft.
There is a broken timber here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/timber_room.jpg

If I drop my crap I might be able to fit through that passage. I drop everything but my lantern.

>w
You cannot fit through this passage with that load.

Okay... I drop the lantern too. I hope that there's some light on the other side.

>w
You have moved into a dark place.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Guess not... I head back east. I have to find a way of getting some light to the other side of the passage. I head back to the Living room and store the figurine and bracelet for five more points each.

Anyway, I think we need to relax, lighten up, and be merry and gay. Let's take our rainbow scepter to the rainbow room and be the Rainbow King! (Beat that, Lone Wolf)

Ohhh! *giggle* I just love this suggestion. I take the scepter and hoof my way back down the canyon, make my to the rainbow, and raise the scepter proclaiming myself the king of fairies and unicorns.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/scepter.jpg

>raise scepter
Suddenly, the rainbow appears to become solid and, I venture, walkable (I think the giveaway was the stairs and bannister).
A shimmering pot of gold appears at the end of the rainbow.

A-ha! I knew there had to be some gold somewhere! Hoisting it scores ten points.

>e
On the Rainbow
You are on top of a rainbow (I bet you never thought you would walk on a rainbow), with a magnificent view of the Falls. The rainbow travels east-west here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/on_rainbow.jpg

I wonder what would happen if I raised the scepter again...

>raise scepter
The structural integrity of the rainbow is severely compromised, leaving you hanging in mid-air, supported only by water vapor. Bye.

**** You have died ****

...only the obvious. RESTORE.

>e
Aragain Falls
You are at the top of Aragain Falls, an enormous waterfall with a drop of about 450 feet. The only path here is on the north end.
A solid rainbow spans the falls.

On the other side of the canyon I can finally enter that cave I saw oh-so long ago.

>n
Shore
You are on the east shore of the river. The water here seems somewhat treacherous. A path travels from north to south here, the south end quickly turning around a sharp corner.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/shore.jpg

Back in the Underground I find myself on the other side of the river. I can just make out the damn to the north.

>n
Sandy Beach
You are on a large sandy beach on the east shore of the river, which is flowing quickly by. A path runs beside the river to the south here, and a passage is partially buried in sand to the northeast.
There is a shovel here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/sandy_beach.jpg

Taking the shovel scores zero points. Hmph.

>ne
Sandy Cave
This is a sand-filled cave whose exit is to the southwest.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/sandy_cave.jpg

Nothing here. Alright. I head back to the Living room and store the pot of gold for ten points.

Puzzles:
Two ugly reflections.
A rejection to hell.
A pile of plastic.
A mysterious temple.
A trapped coffin.
A tight passage.
An empty, sandy cave.

Inventory:
A screwdriver
A wrench
A Matchbook
A brass bell
Two Candles
A Black Book
A brown sack
The brown sack contains:
A lunch
A clove of garlic
A sword
An air pump
A troll's axe
A stiletto
A shovel
A piece of coal

Treasures:
A chest full of jewels
A beautiful painting
A wind-up canary
A silver chalice
A crystal trident
A jade figurine
A sapphire bracelet
A pot filled to the brim with gold

Score: Your score is 228 (total of 350 points). This gives you the rank of Adventurer. Full fledged!

Deaths: 10 (Grue fang, self-stabbed, troll axed, exploded-up, cyclops eaten, stiletto sliced x3, rusty knife'd, fell through a rainbow)

A map of all the places I've been can be seen here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/map_3.jpg).

Octopus Prime
02-01-2009, 06:36 PM
You have a shovel, and you have some sand.

If only there was some way to remove the sand from one area of the floor cave so you could see if there was anything buried in it, perhaps by using the shovel.

Oh but such things are but the dismissed ravings of madmen.

Merus
02-02-2009, 03:40 AM
I think you should kill your first wife by stabbing them in the face with the shovel, then shovelling sand in their mouth.

Wait, wrong adventure game.

Red Hedgehog
02-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Did we ever try smashing the mirror that were providing the reflections? This isn't Shadowgate, so I doubt we would be sucked out into the vacuum of space.

Also, I just reread the description of the folded pile of plastic. It has an attached valve. It's clearly a raft so let's pump it up with our bicycle pump and go rafting!

I also think we probably have enough information to figure out the way to banish the guards to hell, but can't quite get it. This is further than I've ever gotten in Zork.

Sky Render
02-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Concerning the ritual, I think a candle would be just a bit more appropriate than a torch. I mean, they do generally use those in religious rites instead of already-lit and ever-burning torches. I'm just sayin'.

Brickroad
02-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Speaking of candles, they're smaller and less cumbersome than torches or lanterns, so I bet you could light one and then get through that tight passage.

Red Hedgehog
02-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Concerning the ritual, I think a candle would be just a bit more appropriate than a torch. I mean, they do generally use those in religious rites instead of already-lit and ever-burning torches. I'm just sayin'.

Yeah, there's the whole "bell, book, and candle" thing for excommunicating sinners.

liquidben
02-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Yeah, there's the whole "bell, book, and candle" thing for excommunicating sinners.

I thought that was only for getting the Amulet of Yendor! :-p

I think we should play with that basket thing. If it's not big enough for us, we should at least turn the winch. Hmm, too bad the hole's kinda dark. Maybe if we light the basket on fire! YES! I'M GONNA LET IT SHINE!

Bongo Bill
02-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Maybe if you lit yourself on fire.

Shadax
02-08-2009, 04:26 AM
I think you should kill your first wife by stabbing them in the face with the shovel, then shovelling sand in their mouth.

Wait, wrong adventure game.

I need to know what game this is last year.

Merus
02-08-2009, 04:29 PM
I need to know what game this is last year.
I was wondering if someone would ask. It's Phantasmagoria.

Loki
02-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Sorry for the lack of updates. My hard drive failed and I lost everything. A new computer and a pirate raid later and I'm ready to go.

That's a good idea. But I think I need to pray too and I don't know any prayers.

Hey! Maybe that passage in the book is a prayer. I grab the bell, book, matches and candles and head for the entrance to hell.

>ring bell
The bell suddenly becomes red hot and falls to the ground. The wraiths, as if paralyzed, stop their jeering and slowly turn to face you. On their ashen faces, the expression of a long-forgotten terror takes shape.
In your confusion, the candles drop to the ground (and they are out).

No! In my confusion I dropped the very thing I needed!

> take candles
Taken.

> light match
One of the matches starts to burn.

> light candle with match
The candles are lit.
The flames flicker wildly and appear to dance. The earth beneath your feet trembles, and your legs nearly buckle beneath you. The spirits cower at your unearthly power.
The match has gone out.

Yes. YES. Cower you stupid spirits.

> read book
Each word of the prayer reverberates through the hall in a deafening confusion. As the last word fades, a voice, loud and commanding, speaks: “Begone, fiends!” A heart-stopping scream fills the cavern, and the spirits, sensing a greater power, flee through the walls.

Ha-HA! I ain't afraid of no ghosts. Into Hell I go!

> s
Land of the Dead
You have entered the Land of the Living Dead. Thousands of lost souls can be heard weeping and moaning. In the corner are stacked the remains of dozens of previous adventurers less fortunate than yourself. A passage exits to the north.
Lying in one corner of the room is a beautifully carved crystal skull. It appears to be grinning at you rather nastily.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/land_of_dead.jpg

I Indiana the skull and steal 10 points with it. Storing it in the case nets another 10. Verily. On the way back to living room some wind blows out the candles.

You have a shovel, and you have some sand.

If only there was some way to remove the sand from one area of the floor cave so you could see if there was anything buried in it, perhaps by using the shovel.

Oh but such things are but the dismissed ravings of madmen.

If there's one person who's advice I'm sure it follow it's the madman. I grasp the shovel and head for the sandy cave.

> dig in sand with shovel
You seem to be digging a hole here.

Indeed I do.

The hole is getting deeper, but that’s about it.

But a deep hole is a proud hole.

You are surrounded by a wall of sand on all sides.

How will I get out now? "You have to dig up, stupid." Oh yeah.

You can see a scarab here in the sand.

> take scarab
Taken.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/scarab.jpg

> look at scarab
There’s nothing special about the beautiful jeweled scarab.

I'll say! It's also worth about 5 points! Getting out of the hole is as simple as moving out of the cave. Storing the scarab in the case is worth another 5 points. We're getting close to the end. I can feel it.

Did we ever try smashing the mirror that were providing the reflections? This isn't Shadowgate, so I doubt we would be sucked out into the vacuum of space.

Also, I just reread the description of the folded pile of plastic. It has an attached valve. It's clearly a raft so let's pump it up with our bicycle pump and go rafting!

First, I'm going to go smash a mirror. I make my way to the south mirror room.

> break mirror with sword
You have broken the mirror. I hope you have a seven years’ supply of good luck handy.

No void of space. Just a doomed life. I think I'll not test my luck and RESTORE. I grab the pile and pump and make my way to the dam base.

> inflate pile with pump
The boat inflates and appears seaworthy.
A tan label is lying inside the boat.

Who would have guessed it? It was a boat the whole time.

> read label
(Taken)
!!!! FROBOZZ MAGIC BOAT COMPANY !!!!

Hello, Sailor!

Instructions for use:

To get into a body of water, say “Launch”.
To get to shore, say “Land” or the direction in which you want to maneuver the boat.

Warranty:

This boat is guaranteed against all defects for a period of 76 milliseconds from date of purchase or until first used, whichever comes first.

Warning:
This boat is made of thin plastic.
Good Luck!

Great! Time to traverse a river... but first:

> Hello, sailor
Nothing happens here.

Mysterious. Maybe this magic phrase will be useful later on.

> get in boat
Oops! Something sharp seems to have slipped and punctured the boat. The boat deflates to the sounds of hissing, sputtering, and cursing.

WHOOP! I would think a magic sword would know better. I RESTORE and leave the sword behind this time.

> get in boat
You are now in the magic boat.

> launch
(magic boat)
Frigid River, in the magic boat
You are on the Frigid River in the vicinity of the Dam. The river flows quietly here. There is a landing on the west shore.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/on_river.jpg

Yo-ho-ho and all that rot.

> z
Time passes...
The flow of the river carries you downstream.

The river turns a corner here making it impossible to see the Dam. The White Cliffs loom on the east bank and large rocks prevent landing on the west.

There's nothing I like more than messing about in boats.

> z
Time passes...

The river descends here into a valley. There is a narrow beach on the west shore below the cliffs. In the distance a faint rumbling can be heard.

I recognize that beach. Over there is the sandy cave. I don't think I need to land back over there. And I'm not worried about that rumbling. I'm sure it's just a sleeping giant is all.

> z
Time passes...

The river is running faster here and the sound ahead appears to be that of rushing water. On the east shore is a sandy beach. A small area of beach can also be seen below the cliffs on the west shore.
There is a red buoy here (probably a warning).

Psh! "Warning." I'm sure everything is fine. Yep. Juuuuust fine.

> look at buoy
The red buoy is closed.

Huh!? How can a buoy be closed? Maybe that means it can also be opened?

> open buoy
Opening the red buoy reveals a large emerald.

The sound of rushing water is nearly unbearable here. On the east shore is a large landing area.

Wait! Emerald! I need to go back!

> paddle upstream
I don’t know the word “paddle”.

Uhhh...

> n
Read the label for the boat’s instructions.
Unfortunately, the magic boat doesn’t provide protection from the rocks and boulders one meets at the bottom of waterfalls. Including this one.

**** You have died ****

Oh... right. Waterfall. How could I have forgotten about that? RESTORE. This time I open the buoy and take the emerald, also 5 points. I make sure I land before I go over the falls.

> look at emerald
There’s nothing special about the large emerald.

Except the largeness I guess. On my way back to the living room I recover my sword. Storing the emerald scores 10 points.

Loki
02-10-2009, 09:24 PM
I think we should play with that basket thing. If it's not big enough for us, we should at least turn the winch. Hmm, too bad the hole's kinda dark. Maybe if we light the basket on fire! YES! I'M GONNA LET IT SHINE!

Okay... I make my way back to the Shaft Room.

> light basket with torch
You canít burn a basket.

Duh! Gosh, liquidben, you set a new standard for stupid.

Maybe if you lit yourself on fire.

Now there's a bright idea.

> light self with torch
You canít burn a you.

I'm pretty sure you can burn a you. Not today though.

Speaking of candles, they're smaller and less cumbersome than torches or lanterns, so I bet you could light one and then get through that tight passage.

That might work. I make my way though the mine to the Timber Room.

> light match
This room is drafty, and the match goes out instantly.

Oh right. The draft. I guess I'm not going to be able to take a flame through here. THERE HAS TO BE ANOTHER WAY.

Puzzles:
Two ugly reflections.
A mysterious temple.
A trapped coffin.
A tight passage.

Inventory:
A screwdriver
A wrench
A Matchbook
A brass bell
Two Candles
A Black Book
A brown sack
The brown sack contains:
A lunch
A sword
An air pump
A troll's axe
A stiletto
A shovel
A piece of coal

Treasures:
A chest full of jewels
A beautiful painting
A wind-up canary
A silver chalice
A crystal trident
A jade figurine
A sapphire bracelet
A large and unexceptional emerald
A beautiful and unexceptional scarab
A crystal skull (human, not alien)

Score: Your score is 259 (total of 350 points). This gives you the rank of Adventurer.

Deaths: 1 (Grue fang, self-stabbed, troll axed, exploded-up, cyclops eaten, stiletto sliced x3, rusty knife'd, fell through a rainbow, rafted over a waterfall)

Sky Render
02-10-2009, 09:45 PM
You know, I bet that loud room is so loud with roaring because of the dam not being properly sealed before, and because the dam is wide open now. Maybe closing the dam will make it quiet down in there. Then again, maybe not, who knows?

Loki
02-22-2009, 08:48 AM
You know, I bet that loud room is so loud with roaring because of the dam not being properly sealed before, and because the dam is wide open now. Maybe closing the dam will make it quiet down in there. Then again, maybe not, who knows?

I doubt it but let's try.

I take the wrench back to the dam.

> turn bolt with wrench
The sluice gates close and water starts to collect behind the dam.

That takes care of that. Back to the Loud Room.

> d
Loud Room
This is a large room with a ceiling which cannot be detected from the ground. There is a narrow passage from east to west and a stone stairway leading upward. The room is eerie in its quietness.

Well what do you know. That did the trick. I can actually hear myself think now that it's so quiet. A little too quiet. Wait! What was that... the wind.

There's another, much more stupid, solution to this problem. Simply typing "Echo" while in the Loud Room will somehow alter the room's dimensions so that the sound doesn't echo. If someone had suggested this I would have dismissed it as I don't think that describing a puzzle should be its solution.

I pick up the bar and get the hell out of dodge. This scores me ten points. I deposit it in the trophy case for another five. I've got this feeling in my gut that there are only three treasures left. One of them has got to be that gold coffin but I don't know how I'm going to get it out of the temple. One of the other's probably behind that windy shaft in the coal mine. I think I might now how to get through. I grab both the lantern on the torch and head back to the Shaft Room. Of course to do this I have to reopen the dam and drain the reservoir. Perhaps there's a faster way?

We've tried lighting the basket on fire, but that won't work. Based on the geometry of the maze I think the other side of the drafty passage is right below this room. I place the torch in the basket and lower it.

> lower basket
The basket is lowered to the bottom of the shaft.
It is now pitch black.

This is why I brought the lantern. click! I make my way back to the Timber Room. I turn off the lantern to conserve battery and drop everything. This is the moment of truth. If the torch isn't on the other side of this passage I'm going to be walking strait into a grue fang.

> w
Drafty Room
This is a small drafty room in which is the bottom of a long shaft. To the south is a passageway and to the east a very narrow passage. In the shaft can be seen a heavy iron chain.
At the end of the chain is a basket.
The basket contains:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/drafty_room.jpg

Hey it worked! Suck it, all of you who didn't believe in me. And it looks like I scored 13 whole points for making it this far. I take the torch and move on.

> s
Machine Room
This is a large, cold room whose sole exit is to the north. In one corner there is a machine which is reminiscent of a clothes dryer. On its face is a switch which is labelled “START”. The switch does not appear to be manipulable by any human hand (unless the fingers are about 1/16 by 1/4 inch). On the front of the machine is a large lid, which is closed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/machine_room.jpg

What's a clothes dryer?

> open lid
The lid opens.

> look inside machine
The machine is empty.

Hmm.

> turn on machine
It’s not clear how to turn it on with your bare hands.

HMMMMMMM.

Well. I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Puzzles:
Two ugly reflections.
A mysterious temple.
A trapped coffin.
A Washing (???) Machine.

Inventory:
A screwdriver
A wrench
A Matchbook
A brass bell
Two Candles
A Black Book
A brown sack
The brown sack contains:
A lunch
A sword
An air pump
A troll's axe
A stiletto
A shovel
A piece of coal

Treasures:
A chest full of jewels
A beautiful painting
A wind-up canary
A silver chalice
A crystal trident
A jade figurine
A sapphire bracelet
A Platinum Bar (bar bar bar)

Score: Your score is 287 (total of 350 points). This gives you the rank of Adventurer.

Deaths: 11 (Grue fang, self-stabbed, troll axed, exploded-up, cyclops eaten, stiletto sliced x3, rusty knife'd, fell through a rainbow, rafted over a waterfall)

Mr. Sensible
02-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Seems like you need some tools. Perhaps the wrench and screwdriver could offer some assistance!

Sky Render
03-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Whoops, forgot about Zork there for a bit! Hm, quite a puzzler indeed... I'm not sure what to do about this latest problem, to be honest. Ersatz' suggestion makes as much sense as anything else.

Now the mirrors... About the only thing that hasn't been tried is figuring out if they're somehow linked. Perhaps you should take stock of your general surroundings (ie. the areas outside of the mirror rooms) after interacting with them somehow. How to interact with them? I think we've tried just about everything, so try all the obvious stuff again: talk to 'em, touch 'em, whatever, then go and see if it did anything.

Sapper Gopher
08-03-2009, 03:10 PM
>kill thief with sword
It's curtains for the thief as your sword removes his head.

>say "There can be only one!"

Octopus Prime
08-03-2009, 03:56 PM
And here I thought the LP was back.

Dang you, Sapper.

Daaaaaaaaaang Youuuuuuuuu!

Kirin
08-04-2009, 12:13 PM
I remember this LP! It was super-duper aces!
(Yes, this is code for "moar plz?" Also true, though.)

Octopus Prime
10-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Those ugly reflections need to be taught a lesson in humility!

USE SHOVEL on MIRROR!

Loki
08-31-2010, 07:19 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/machine_room.jpg

Well I've been staring at this machine for eighteen months and I still haven't figured out what it's good for. But then! A distant memory...

Seems like you need some tools. Perhaps the wrench and screwdriver could offer some assistance!

Now why didn't I think of that a year and a half ago? Oh well.

I don't have any of my tools on me as I had to drop everything to squeeze into this room. So that means going back around (somehow my lantern still had power after all these months, funny how that works), raise the basket to get the torch (as to not wear out the lantern's battery) and go back to the house and get the screwdriver. Then it's back to the mine, screwdriver and torch into the basket, lower it, back down to the tight squeeze, drop the lantern and back through to the machine room.

Phew!

Looks like the slot on the machine is just the right size for the screwdriver.

> s
Machine Room
This is a large, cold room whose sole exit is to the north. In one corner there is a machine which is reminiscent of a clothes dryer. On its face is a switch which is labelled ďSTARTĒ. The switch does not appear to be manipulable by any human hand (unless the fingers are about 1/16 by 1/4 inch). On the front of the machine is a large lid, which is closed.

> turn on machine with screwdriver
The machine comes to life (figuratively) with a dazzling display of colored lights and bizarre noises. After a few moments, the excitement abates.

> open machine
The lid opens, revealing a small piece of vitreous slag.

> l at slag
The slag was rather insubstantial, and crumbles into dust at your touch.

Slag, huh? That's weird as there was nothing in the machine beforehand. Either this is an Insubstantial Vitreous Slag Making Machine or the machine put such phenomenal force on the air and dust inside that it fused it together into this bit of slag. Frankly, both propositions are ridiculous.

I'd like to test my theory by putting something else in the machine. I don't want to risk anything useful and I certainly won't be putting any of my precious treasures into it. Any suggestions?

Now the mirrors... About the only thing that hasn't been tried is figuring out if they're somehow linked. Perhaps you should take stock of your general surroundings (ie. the areas outside of the mirror rooms) after interacting with them somehow. How to interact with them? I think we've tried just about everything, so try all the obvious stuff again: talk to 'em, touch 'em, whatever, then go and see if it did anything.

Not a bad idea. I make my way out of the mine (which involves the whole torch-basket-raise-lantern nonsense again) and back to the north mirror room.

> talk to mirror
You canít talk to the mirror!

> talk to reflection
You canít talk to the mirror!

That didn't work.

> touch mirror
There is a rumble from deep within the earth and the room shakes.

Hello! Though aside from the rumble nothing appears to have happened. Oh well, I'll just take the slide down to the cellar and back to the house. There I'll go through my possessions and see what's worth slag-ing.

> n
Narrow Passage

Wait no. To the north should've have been the cold room. Somehow I've been transported to the south mirror room! So touching the mirrors let's me fast travel between the north and south bits of the cavern. Neat! This, also, would have come in handy last year.

Guess there's egg on my face!

...jewel encrusted egg.

Puzzles:
A mysterious temple.
A trapped coffin.
An Insubstantial Vitreous Slag Making Machine.

Inventory:
A screwdriver
A wrench
A Matchbook
A brass bell
Two Candles
A Black Book
A brown sack
The brown sack contains:
A lunch
A sword
An air pump
A troll's axe
A stiletto
A shovel
A piece of coal

Treasures:
A chest full of jewels
A beautiful painting
A wind-up canary
A silver chalice
A crystal trident
A jade figurine
A sapphire bracelet
A Platinum Bar (bar bar bar)

Score: Your score is 287 (total of 350 points). This gives you the rank of Adventurer.

Deaths: 11 (Grue fang, self-stabbed, troll axed, exploded-up, cyclops eaten, stiletto sliced x3, rusty knife'd, fell through a rainbow, rafted over a waterfall)

Octopus Prime
08-31-2010, 07:23 PM
Coal isn't NEARLY as interesting as vitreous slag.

Go Slag up that coal, buddy!

Loki
08-31-2010, 07:25 PM
Coal is an important source of fuel. It's FAR too valuable to be slagged up.

Octopus Prime
08-31-2010, 07:26 PM
I don't care about function! It's a boring rock!

Boring, says I!

Loki
08-31-2010, 07:29 PM
Look, nations have risen and fallen all on the turn of a coal. I'm not going to give up THE MOST VALUABLE TREASURE I'VE FOUND just cause you think it's a boring rock.

MetManMas
08-31-2010, 07:57 PM
Wow, I didn't even realize there was an LP for this. I have no idea how to progress in Zork, but I know that adventure games can use some crazy moon logic for puzzles, so I have one suggestion.

>USE BRASS BELL on TRAPPED COFFIN

It worked for repelling wraiths, so maybe it'd repel what's in the coffin to untrap it? I have no clue; I'm LTTLP. ^^;

Foxeris
08-31-2010, 08:13 PM
I'm glad to see this one is back alive and kicking. This is a great LP so far. :)

So the machine makes slag... or slags something up. Well, slag is the side effect of smelting ore... maybe turn it on again to get some more slag, the test it on the slag itself?

Sky Render
08-31-2010, 08:48 PM
Hooray, Zork is back!

Okay, let's look at this (geo)logically. Coal is concentrated carbon, for the most part. Although useful for heating houses and smelting large, serrated steel disks to sell to hapless caravans in Dwarf Fortress, it's not terribly valuable on its own. In comparison however, one of the the allotropic forms of carbon known as diamond is very valuable indeed. Far more on par with the sorts of treasures we've found so far.

On the off-chance that this smelter-like device works via a high-pressure high-temperature method, it'd be worth the trouble to stick the coal in there. The worst thing that could happen is that we'd get a long-burning fire in there, and I can imagine worse things to have than a long-burning stationary torch in that room.

Loki
08-31-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm glad to see this one is back alive and kicking. This is a great LP so far. :)

So the machine makes slag... or slags something up. Well, slag is the side effect of smelting ore... maybe turn it on again to get some more slag, the test it on the slag itself?

Unfortunately, the slag falls apart as soon as I touch it. Likewise, if I try to slag the slag I just end up with slag. Not more slag. Same slag. ...Which falls apart when I touch it.

Hooray, Zork is back!

Okay, let's look at this (geo)logically. Coal is concentrated carbon, for the most part. Although useful for heating houses and smelting large, serrated steel disks to sell to hapless caravans in Dwarf Fortress, it's not terribly valuable on its own. In comparison however, one of the the allotropic forms of carbon known as diamond is very valuable indeed. Far more on par with the sorts of treasures we've found so far.

On the off-chance that this smelter-like device works via a high-pressure high-temperature method, it'd be worth the trouble to stick the coal in there. The worst thing that could happen is that we'd get a long-burning fire in there, and I can imagine worse things to have than a long-burning stationary torch in that room.

Fine! I'll slag the coal and lose it forever and won't you all be sorry!

> put coal in machine
Done.

> close machine
The lid closes.

> turn on machine with screwdriver
The machine comes to life (figuratively) with a dazzling display of colored lights and bizarre noises. After a few moments, the excitement abates.

> open machine
The lid opens, revealing a huge diamond, and a small piece of vitreous slag.

See, the coal turned into slag. So long, goodbye forever, coal. We hardly knew ye. Oh, and there's this diamond in there too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/diamond.jpg

Now this is what I call a boring rock. It certainly wasn't worth all the basket juggling it took to get (it was, however, worth 10 points).

Wow, I didn't even realize there was an LP for this. I have no idea how to progress in Zork, but I know that adventure games can use some crazy moon logic for puzzles, so I have one suggestion.

>USE BRASS BELL on TRAPPED COFFIN

It worked for repelling wraiths, so maybe it'd repel what's in the coffin to untrap it? I have no clue; I'm LTTLP. ^^;

Back up and around to house to get the bell, and then back down the dome room to the Egyptian room (along the way I put the diamond in the case for another cool 10).

> ring bell
Ding, dong.

The bell doesn't seem to affect the coffin. Then again the problem with the coffin isn't that it's haunted or anything. It's that it's super heavy and big and bulky and weighs a ton. If I drop everything I'm holding except for my light source I can carry it with a small amount of difficulty.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/coffin.jpg
Herrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfffffffffffff!

Once I have it though, there's no place to take it. If you look at the map (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/map_3.jpg) you'll see that this temple area is kinda self contained. The rope I used to come down from the dome room is too short to reach the bottom by about ten feet. Also, there is no way I'd be able to climb back up while carrying this sarcophagus. Likewise, there's a hole I can squeeze through from the Alter to get to the Cave, but the coffin won't fit through it. There's got to be another way out from here that I can use to liberate the coffin.

Also, my nose for treasure tells me that there's two treasures left. The coffin's one, but I have no idea where to find the other. I've been everywhere and I think I've seen everything. Where could it be?

Puzzles:
A mysterious temple.
A trapped coffin.
The last darn treasure.

Inventory:
A screwdriver
A wrench
A Matchbook
A brass bell
Two Candles
A Black Book
A brown sack
The brown sack contains:
A lunch
A sword
An air pump
A troll's axe
A stiletto
A shovel

Treasures:
A chest full of jewels
A beautiful painting
A wind-up canary
A silver chalice
A crystal trident
A jade figurine
A sapphire bracelet
A platinum bar (bar bar bar)
A boring ol' huge diamond

Your score is 307 (total of 350 points), in 495 moves. This gives you the rank of Master. Level up get!

Sky Render
08-31-2010, 09:41 PM
By the way, I've been meaning to ask... Is that a typo, or is the jewel-encrusted egg really bear-shaped? 'Cause that would be wicked-awesome.

Octopus Prime
09-01-2010, 04:47 AM
Give the coffin a proper buriel with your shovel.

The poor mummy in it NEEDS rest, or else it's going to haunt you forever.

Loki
09-01-2010, 08:28 AM
The only place with ground soft enough to dig in is the sandy cave waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay on the other side of the cavern, past the river. I guess I could lug the coffin over there but to do so I need to find a way to get it out of this temple area.

Also, there's no mummy. All that was in the coffin was the sceptre (bit of a disapointment, really).

Also also, who burries sarcophaguses? Isn't the proper procedure to build a big triangle around them?

Octopus Prime
09-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Also also, who burries sarcophaguses? Isn't the proper procedure to build a big triangle around them?

Well.... get constructing then.

Loki
09-01-2010, 08:34 AM
Unfortunately, I have yet to stumble upon a team of 50,000,000 slaves. I'll let you know the moment that I do.

Sky Render
09-01-2010, 10:02 AM
Hm... Oh, I know! Let's take a cue from King's Quest VI and use the wind-up canary in the woods outside the house! If Sierra is to be trusted (and why wouldn't you trust Sierra's logic?), that should cause one of the local birds to fly down and befriend you. Then you can finally send the signet ring off to Cassima and... oh wait, wrong game. Still, it would be amusing if this game were where Sierra got the whole "mechanical bird tames real bird" idea from.

Loki
09-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Hm... Oh, I know! Let's take a cue from King's Quest VI and use the wind-up canary in the woods outside the house! If Sierra is to be trusted (and why wouldn't you trust Sierra's logic?), that should cause one of the local birds to fly down and befriend you. Then you can finally send the signet ring off to Cassima and... oh wait, wrong game. Still, it would be amusing if this game were where Sierra got the whole "mechanical bird tames real bird" idea from.

I've heard worst ideas. I'll leave the coffin for now and head back to the house to retrieve the canary.

> take canary
Taken.

> e
Kitchen

> e
Behind House

> e
Clearing

> s
Forest

> wind up canary
The canary chirps, slightly off-key, an aria from a forgotten opera. From out of the greenery flies a lovely songbird. It perches on a limb just over your head and opens its beak to sing. As it does so a beautiful brass bauble drops from its mouth, bounces off the top of your head, and lands glimmering in the grass. As the canary winds down, the songbird flies away.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/bauble.jpg

I can not believe that worked! I always thought this puzzle was under-clued. Aside from the fact that you can hear birdsong in the forest and that the canary sings a tune when wind it there's nothing to indicate that doing so in the forest will net you a treasure. It's so obscure that I've gone this whole LP without even mentioning it as a puzzle to solve and had to invent a contrivance to get it on that list. Sierra-esque indeed.

> take bauble
Taken.

> l at bauble
Thereís nothing special about the beautiful brass bauble.

Beautiful, and yet oh so plain. The bauble scores me a single solitary point. Depositing it into the case earns another. Worthwhile!

Puzzles:
A mysterious temple.
A trapped coffin.

Inventory:
A screwdriver
A wrench
A Matchbook
A brass bell
Two Candles
A Black Book
A brown sack
The brown sack contains:
A lunch
A sword
An air pump
A troll's axe
A stiletto
A shovel

Treasures:
A chest full of jewels
A beautiful painting
A wind-up canary
A silver chalice
A crystal trident
A jade figurine
A sapphire bracelet
A platinum bar (bar bar bar)
A boring ol' huge diamond
A beautiful plain brass bauble.

Your score is 319 (total of 350 points). This gives you the rank of Master.

Foxeris
09-01-2010, 04:55 PM
So at this point in time you need to get the coffin out of the temple... that's a tricky one. You still have the shovel, is there any chance you can widen the hole to get to the cave?

After skimming over the past entries I found something interesting. In the Slide Room there was an inscription saying "Granite Wall" and is the Temple is also a Granite Wall... so I'm thinking maybe you can do something with said wall. Check for secret passages?

(Yes, I'm guessing like crazy, I've never gotten very far in Zork)

Octopus Prime
09-01-2010, 06:11 PM
> l at bauble
Thereís nothing special about the beautiful brass bauble.

I initially read this as "I ate bauble".

So... do that.

Nodal
09-01-2010, 06:52 PM
So at this point in time you need to get the coffin out of the temple... that's a tricky one. You still have the shovel, is there any chance you can widen the hole to get to the cave?

After skimming over the past entries I found something interesting. In the Slide Room there was an inscription saying "Granite Wall" and is the Temple is also a Granite Wall... so I'm thinking maybe you can do something with said wall. Check for secret passages?

There was also a granite wall in the treasure room! This idea is going places.

Sky Render
09-01-2010, 07:06 PM
That mysterious temple is so very mysterious... Who built it, and why? And why is there an altar in it? Who put a pair of candles and a book with only two legible pages on the altar? Why have we not tried using the altar in some fashion? Maybe a blood sacrifice or something? Maybe you can open it, like the Ark of the Covenant. (Hey, after that bit of Sierra moon logic with the songbird, anything's possible, right?)

Loki
09-01-2010, 08:15 PM

Not a bad idea. They are the only two granite walls I've come across. And if they're anything like the mirror rooms there might be a connection.

> l
Temple
This is the north end of a large temple. On the east wall is an ancient inscription, probably a prayer in a long-forgotten language. Below the prayer is a staircase leading down. The west wall is solid granite. The exit to the north end of the room is through huge marble pillars.

> l at granite
Thereís nothing special about the granite wall.

> touch granite
Fiddling with the granite wall isnít notably helpful.

> rub granite
Fiddling with the granite wall doesnít seem to work.

Hmmm... nothing. The other's in the slide room you say? Let's go check it out.

Slide Room
This is a small chamber, which appears to have been part of a coal mine. On the south wall of the chamber the letters ďGranite WallĒ are etched in the rock. To the east is a long passage, and there is a steep metal slide twisting downward. To the north is a small opening.

> look at granite wall
The wall isnít granite.

So the wall in this room isn't granite. But there must be some significance to them if someone bothered to etch these words. Now I know I've seen another granite wall somewhere else. Guess I'll just have to wander around till I find it.

There was also a granite wall in the treasure room! This idea is going places.

Thanks Nodal, I can always count on you to remember tedious details. Oh hey, here I am back in the Thief's treasure room.

Treasure Room
This is a large room, whose east wall is solid granite. A number of discarded bags, which crumble at your touch, are scattered about on the floor. There is an exit down a staircase.

And there's the granite wall! However nothing happens when I touch this one either. The other one's in the temple... It couldn't be as simple as it seems, right?

> temple
Temple

It is. Simply saying the name of the corresponding room transports me there. I guess that explains how the thief got to his lair so quickly when I found it. Using the mystical power of granite I am now able to get the coffin out of the temple.

Herrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfffffffffffff!

But first!

I initially read this as "I ate bauble".

So... do that.

> eat bauble
I donít think that the beautiful brass bauble would agree with you.

Oh... sad. If only it was a zinc bauble.

In any case, I heft up the coffin, and granite wall it to the treasure room, and then haul it up to the case.

This is another under clued and lame puzzle. However, as Sky Render suggested, there is an alternate solution. One thing I didn't show off is what happens when you die. Rather than the RESTORE, RESTART, UNDO, or QUIT options that have become so commonplace you are instead resurrected as a spirit. While a ghost you can still move around but you can't pick up anything or interact with the scenery. To return to the living you have to pray at the alter, which restores you to life in the forest, and scatters your inventory all around. I've never bothered with this bit as 10 times out of 10 it's easier just to RESTORE. Praying works when you're alive as well, and doing so will transport you to the forest. Plus praying at an alter is a little more logical than saying the name of a room with a similar wall.

I put the coffin in the case (well, not in in it. Next to it at least), along with the torch for a combined 29 points (also, I got 10 for picking up the coffin). And with these last few points I'm at a total of 350! I am the point king! Emperor Point! (What the heck is a "point"!?)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/treasures.jpg

That is one fine looking set of treasures. Welp! I've got what I came here for. I guess I should figure out a way to get these to Port Foozle where I can pawn them for my weight in Zorkmids.

An almost inaudible voice whispers in your ear, ďLook to your treasures for the final secret.Ē

Who said that?! A final secret? Hmm... I guess I should look closer.

> l at case
In the trophy case is an ancient parchment which appears to be a map.

That wasn't in there before... was it?

> l at map
The map shows a forest with three clearings. The largest clearing contains a house. Three paths leave the large clearing. One of these paths, leading southwest, is marked ďTo Stone BarrowĒ.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/map.jpg

I guess I could go check it out. It's not like the treasures are going anywhere.

West of House
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door. A secret path leads southwest into the forest.
There is a small mailbox here.

> sw
Stone Barrow
You are standing in front of a massive barrow of stone. In the east face is a huge stone door which is open. You cannot see into the dark of the tomb.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/barrow.jpg

My nose for treasure tells me that there's more in the barrow. Tempting... but I don't need to find anymore. I'm set for life. To go down there would be greedy and most likely dangerous. ...On the other hand... treasure.

Treasure...
Security...
Treasure...
Security...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Zork%20I/theend.jpg

> w
Inside the Barrow
As you enter the barrow, the door closes inexorably behind you. Around you it is dark, but ahead is an enormous cavern, brightly lit. Through its center runs a wide stream. Spanning the stream is a small wooden footbridge, and beyond a path leads into a dark tunnel. Above the bridge, floating in the air, is a large sign. It reads: All ye who stand before this bridge have completed a great and perilous adventure which has tested your wit and courage. You have mastered the first part of the ZORK trilogy. Those who pass over this bridge must be prepared to undertake an even greater adventure that will severely test your skill and bravery!

The ZORK trilogy continues with ďZORK II: The Wizard of FrobozzĒ and is completed in ďZORK III: The Dungeon Master.Ē
Your score is 350 (total of 350 points), in 616 moves.
This gives you the rank of Master Adventurer.

And there you have it. Zork! It's the game that cemented the Adventure genre. Colossal Cave Adventure might have been first, but Zork, with it's sophisticated interpreter and Z-Machine (which allowed the game to be ported to any home computer system), was the influential refinement. From Maniac Mansion to Myst to Machinarium, they all owe their existence to Zork. It's also responsible for kickstarting a brand new storytelling medium. And one that, though while still in it's infancy, has produced some (http://wurb.com:80/if/game/193) very (http://wurb.com:80/if/game/295) fine (http://wurb.com:80/if/game/255) stories (http://wurb.com:80/if/game/17) indeed (http://wurb.com:80/if/game/910).

That being said, it is a very archaic game. While the parser is robust, it still leaves a lot to be desired. A lot of actions aren't implemented and being told that there was "nothing remarkable" about every treasure destroys the excitement of finding them. The setting isn't very coherent and feels less like an actual place and more like a mis-mash of random ideas... which is exactly what it is. A lot of the puzzles are nonsensical and poorly clued, and it's very easy to put the game into an un-winable state. I ended up playing though the game five or so times during this Let's Play. I was hurrying through and kept making stupid mistakes. The year and a half break there was caused because I turned off the lamp before dropping it and moving into the machine room. Too late I realized I wouldn't be able to find it in the dark to turn it back on. And since it was trapped behind the gas room I wouldn't be able to get back to it with any of the other light sources. I was so pissed about having to go through the game AGAIN that I ended up abandoning the thread. Sorry about that.

The good news is that it get's better. Zork II is better written, more fun to play, and simply more zorkian. We'll explore the lands beyond the barrow in just a few months. Until then, happy zorking!

Brickroad
09-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Hurrah Zork!

I really loved this one, Loki. I'm so happy you came back and finished it. The crayon drawings were absolutely sublime.

Nodal
09-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Loki this was a great LP! Also I HELPED SOLVE A PUZZLE AND YOU CAN'T TAKE IT AWAY FROM ME.

Loki
09-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks guys, I'm very happy you liked it! I'm interested if Foxeris actually put two and two together about the granite walls on his own or if he was just playing along.

Also, thanks Sky Render for playing along and helping drive this LP to completion.

Foxeris
09-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Nice to know my crazy idea worked :)

This has been a great LP of a classic game, and your right Zork really codified a lot of things about text adventure games and really improved on what Colossal Cave did.

Your illustrations helped make this LP ever better, adding a nice vibe and texture to the game. It's a great addition, thanks for talking the time to do them.

It's going to be a bit of a wait for Zork II, but it should be worth it!

Thanks guys, I'm very happy you liked it! I'm interested if Foxeris actually put two and two together about the granite walls on his own or if he was just playing along.

Mostly I got lucky. I was looking for the description of the temple and saw the "Granite Wall" comment in passing, so I twiged on it when I saw the description.

Oh, and if I may triple post for a little Coda, you should take a listen to the Zork walk through song (http://www.geeklovesongs.com/?p=125).

nunix
09-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Thank you for finishing! I've enjoyed all your Plays, particularly the art that goes along with them.

MetManMas
09-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Did the original Zork always end saying that it was the first in a trilogy? These days that angle's all too common, but it's pretty gutsy for an early text adventure to advertise sequels.

Anyway, this was a fun read. Love those illustrations you drew of your adventure.

Sky Render
09-01-2010, 10:00 PM
I knew the last two treasures were going to cause problems. The rest can all sort of be logically deduced, but the bauble and the coffin are some of the first moon logic puzzles in any adventure game. It's quite telling that the former was an inspiration for Sierra to basically replicate the solution wholesale in King's Quest VI. The latter can only really be figured out if you stumble upon the fact that the altar works the way it does (or if you have a strange penchant for calling out the names of rooms where a particular type of similar wall is; that's almost as stupid as the "echo" solution in the loud room).

nunix
09-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Did the original Zork always end saying that it was the first in a trilogy? These days that angle's all too common, but it's pretty gutsy for an early text adventure to advertise sequels.

Anyway, this was a fun read. Love those illustrations you drew of your adventure.

Someone may come in and correct me on this (or.. check wikipedia, I guess) but from what I recall:

The original Zork game was built to run on a university mainframe, where there was (relatively) a lot more disk space. When it was released for home computers, it was split into three games. So it wasn't advertising a sequel so much as the next chapter, which was already written.

Octopus Prime
09-02-2010, 01:51 AM
While I am disappointed that my Bauble idea didn't work, I am pleased to see the LP come to a conclusion.

YAY!

Loki
09-02-2010, 08:48 AM
Someone may come in and correct me on this (or.. check wikipedia, I guess) but from what I recall:

The original Zork game was built to run on a university mainframe, where there was (relatively) a lot more disk space. When it was released for home computers, it was split into three games. So it wasn't advertising a sequel so much as the next chapter, which was already written.

Correct. But I was also playing the (relatively) recent Revision 88 from 1983. I'm not sure how the original home port ended.

Kirin
09-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Stopping in slightly late to say congrats on finishing an awesome art-enhanced LP. This job was a success!

Trar
09-11-2010, 03:08 PM
I concur with everybody: THIS LP ROCKED! The crayon drawings, the narration...man, this kicked ass. I eagerly await the inevitable Zork II LP.