PDA

View Full Version : Energy Drinks to Destroy my Body

philliam
04-06-2009, 07:22 PM
I need some good energy drinks, coffee stuff, whatever, to help me stay up for a 3 day midterm craziness.

Give me some good energy drink suggestions ya'll to help me stay up 3 days straight and I will go into a energy drink coma.

reibeatall
04-06-2009, 07:27 PM
I hear Five Hour Energy is pretty good. It contains no sugars like those other guys. Also, it's more like a sip, not a drink.

mrbuu82
04-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Rockstar used to do the job for me, but only for an evening. There was usually a crash afterward as well.

Brer
04-06-2009, 07:28 PM
http://www.energyfiend.com/the-caffeine-database

Personally, I'm a big fan of good old coffee and coffee drinks. Especially if you can brew yourself a decent pot. Failing that, I'll recommend NOS if you can find the bottles (not the 16 oz. cans) for a decent taste and a good price for the amount of caffeine you're getting.

philliam
04-06-2009, 07:29 PM
I hear Five Hour Energy is pretty good. It contains no sugars like those other guys. Also, it's more like a sip, not a drink.

I kind of iffy about those things. It has no sugar and it apparently doesn't give you that after sugar crash but I keep worrying it will completely wipe out my body, especially if I'm going to try to stay up 3 days straight.

Although I'll probably take a couple power naps.

nunix
04-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Find a local tea shop, ask them for their most caffinated mix. The caffeine in tea releases slower and longer than stuff in other beverages, for reasons that escape me (something to do with what else it's bound to and how the body absorbs and processes it).

reibeatall
04-06-2009, 07:37 PM
I kind of iffy about those things. It has no sugar and it apparently doesn't give you that after sugar crash but I keep worrying it will completely wipe out my body, especially if I'm going to try to stay up 3 days straight.

Although I'll probably take a couple power naps.

Personally, I prefer ginsing and vitamin B-whatever the fuck for energy. Going the "natural" route just feels better than getting hyped up on caffeine.

Also, if you're not going the other route, get Mountain Dew Voltage. I drank three bottles one night while moving shit and I didn't sleep until the next day.

philliam
04-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Find a local tea shop, ask them for their most caffinated mix. The caffeine in tea releases slower and longer than stuff in other beverages, for reasons that escape me (something to do with what else it's bound to and how the body absorbs and processes it).

I'm going to assume caffeinated tea mixes are a bit more expensive than regular energy drinks. I'm kind of broke so I need something a bit cheaper.

Marfy
04-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Rockstar Juiced is decent taste wise, but I find gives me the least buzz. Red Bull doesn't taste terrible but is oftentimes the most expensive (in the realm of sub $3 drinks).

Dizzy
04-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Redbull suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. More of a placebo than actual energy drink. The smaller the container, the more energizing and deadly the drink is. It's true! You are such a failure, dear lad. You should learn to manage time well that way you will never have to sacrifice a night of sleep again.

nunix
04-06-2009, 08:57 PM
I'm going to assume caffeinated tea mixes are a bit more expensive than regular energy drinks. I'm kind of broke so I need something a bit cheaper.

Eh, not really, $5-10 for a couple of ounces, and it'll last you weeks.

Believe me, loose leaf tea is way, way cheaper than energy drinks, better for you, AND more effective.

DemoWeasel
04-06-2009, 09:04 PM
I can't even comprehend not sleeping for even one day.

College is going to kill me.

philliam
04-06-2009, 09:12 PM

Well it is my dumbass fault for not managing my time well. My midterm was given to me during spring break so it was mostly "I'm going to do my homework today! Oh my friend wants to go to party/concert well I guess I could do my homework later..."

dussssstin
04-06-2009, 09:12 PM
bawls

philliam
04-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Eh, not really, $5-10 for a couple of ounces, and it'll last you weeks.

Believe me, loose leaf tea is way, way cheaper than energy drinks, better for you, AND more effective.

Hmmm, do they have stuff like this at gas stations? Like in a can or bottle?

alexb
04-06-2009, 09:14 PM

Dude, I never had to do an all-nighter my entire college career. I couldn't handle this sort of madness either. Just stay on top of your work and you won't ever have to.

DemoWeasel
04-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Dude, I never had to do an all-nighter my entire college career. I couldn't handle this sort of madness either. Just stay on top of your work and you won't ever have to.

This is reassuring!

ChefCthulhu
04-06-2009, 09:27 PM
bawls

I agree. Plus they make a root beer version and cherry version.

http://bawls.com/press_gallery.html

KCar
04-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Nunix is on it. Yerba Matte - it's the way to go. You can get it in bags, even - just boil a pot of water if you don't have a kettle, throw a bag in, and let the caffeinated goodness energize that water like transforming wind into electricity.

nunix
04-06-2009, 10:05 PM
I've had bad luck with bagged teas; I once put 3 Tazo green tea bags into a cup, because I was looking for flavour and it was a really weak-tasting tea. I was up for a day and a half and had a panic attack in the middle of the night thanks to the weirdness it was doing.

Loose leaf is just.. more manageable. I've had people I know who are hardcore coffee drinks - triple-shot espressos and such - have similar experiences and they swore off tea. The long-release caffiene is very useful but you gotta do it a little more carefully than coffee or energy drinks.

Sanagi
04-06-2009, 10:12 PM
I've only ever pulled one all-nighter. I was a test-taking zombie the following morning - kind of a reverse zombie, really; instead of "must devour brains!" it was "must empty brain!" Anyways, slow but steady consumption of Coke worked fine for me.

KCar
04-06-2009, 10:12 PM
I've had bad luck with bagged teas; I once put 3 Tazo green tea bags into a cup, because I was looking for flavour and it was a really weak-tasting tea. I was up for a day and a half and had a panic attack in the middle of the night thanks to the weirdness it was doing.

Loose leaf is just.. more manageable. I've had people I know who are hardcore coffee drinks - triple-shot espressos and such - have similar experiences and they swore off tea. The long-release caffiene is very useful but you gotta do it a little more carefully than coffee or energy drinks.

Yeah... that'd be your problem. Otherwise, bagged teas are great - just let them steep.

Edit: related story - on my one undergrad all-nighter, I was actually dyslexic for about half an hour! The symbols on the page become indecipherable. I went for a brief walk and everything was okay again, but still! Scary.

That was a coffee night, for the record. Tim Horton's, specifically.

spineshark
04-06-2009, 10:16 PM
I've only done all-nighters for fun. They're still a bad idea, but, ehh, whatever. At this point, if I realize that I've procrastinated myself into being really screwed, I generally feel like I can just bear the consequences.

I'm such a bad student.

Mazian
04-06-2009, 10:21 PM
This is reassuring!
To counteract that reassurement, let me tell you about how I switched to a six-day week for an entire term. Finishing the quantum sets was inevitably an all-night job, so why not schedule accordingly? I could usually work in a quick nap on Fridays between sunrise and my first morning class.

Through most of college, I avoided caffeine most of the time so it would be more effective when I needed it. Not sure if that was a particularly effective strategy.

Shagohod
04-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Green monster is the most delicious energy drink. After the first couple drinks it doesn't have that bite. It works ok too. 6 hour power is alright too

Alixsar
04-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Energy drinks don't work. Just take naps.

CaliScrub
04-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Redbull suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. More of a placebo than actual energy drink. The smaller the container, the more energizing and deadly the drink is. It's true! You are such a failure, dear lad. You should learn to manage time well that way you will never have to sacrifice a night of sleep again.

How well do other energy drinks mix with Vodka, I wonder?

Alixsar
04-08-2009, 03:50 PM
How well do other energy drinks mix with Vodka, I wonder?

Pretty well. That's about all energy drinks are good for.

SDMX
04-08-2009, 05:08 PM
The significant swears by Xenergy.

She's a third year law student.

So that should tell you something.

Energy drinks don't work. Just take naps.

Having been a night shift worker for over 2 years, allow me a assure you that this guy don't know jack.

Hughtron
04-08-2009, 05:25 PM
I think Rockstar was the one that donated a whole bunch to Yes on Prop 8, so anything but that one?

Paul le Fou
04-08-2009, 08:59 PM
What the fuck how does THIS page have a phantom next page

THIS IS STARTING TO CHEESE ME OFF

Also, regular old coffee works for me, more or less. Energy drinks and caffeine tend to do relatively little for me at any rate. Then again I went like 2 years straight without turning in a single paper on time in college so what do I know.

Torgo
04-09-2009, 03:49 AM
I've been on again, off again with these blasted things for a good four or five years now.

Red Bull - The original drink to spawn all this garbage, and still pretty darn good for my money. If I decide to go for an energy drink (which is rarer these days, thankfully), nine times out of ten this is what I pick up. The small can, please. Those larger ones scare the crap out of me. I need enough to give me a boost, not put me into overdrive and kill me.

Sobe No Fear - This tastes like absolute rubbish. Never buy it.

Sobe Adrenaline Rush - I actually haven't seen this on the market in four or five years. Is it still around? I actually liked it quite a bit!

Mountain Dew Amp - Probably the most redundant drink ever. It tastes a lot like Mountain Dew,* except there's even more caffeine! Hooray! The crash can be pretty nasty.

Rehab Energy - For a long time this was drink of choice. It has a nice fruity taste and does it's job very well. Unfortunately, it can have a really hard crash afterwards. I stopped drinking it after I started getting headaches bordering on migraines if I went without. I still have one on occasion, but now I get a really sore stomach if I do.

180 Energy - A cheap little budget energy drink distributed by Anheuser Busch. Has a nice citrus-y flavor to it. It does pretty well and it's very affordable. Here in Hawaii I play only about a buck a can.

Monster - I like the original flavor a lot, but the volume of the can is bothersome and it has kind of a nasty aftertaste.

Full Throttle - See my description of Monster, with a citrus flavor and minus the bad aftertaste.

I think that's the extent of what I've had over the years. If you're shopping on the cheap, try and find some 180. Affordable, tastes pretty good, and does it's job well enough. Rehab will pack the biggest punch, but the crash afterwards can be pretty harsh. Barring that, my money is on Red Bull.

No matter what though, do not become attached to these things. They are money and life-sucking parasites. Not as bad as a daily Starbucks fix, I suppose, but still...

*Don't try to tell me it's "Mtn Dew". "Mtn" is not a word.

taidan
04-09-2009, 10:35 AM
We're in the Pit of Flames and no mention of Powerthirst (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-3qncy5Qfk)?

Aaaaaanyway, the best result I ever had with an energy drink was a can of Amp. I pulled an all nighter doing a history paper, went to class and then did the best session of weight lifting I ever had in college. However, the next few times I tried the drink the energy wasn't nearly the same.

mrbuu82
04-09-2009, 10:52 AM
I think Rockstar was the one that donated a whole bunch to Yes on Prop 8, so anything but that one?

O_O

Aaaaaanyway, the best result I ever had with an energy drink was a can of Amp. I pulled an all nighter doing a history paper, went to class and then did the best session of weight lifting I ever had in college. However, the next few times I tried the drink the energy wasn't nearly the same.

I find that most of these energy drinks have diminishing returns for me. Red Bull worked once or twice for me and never worked effectively again.

Willm
04-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Pretty well. That's about all energy drinks are good for.

Red Bull and Jagermeister. They are best friends for life. It was one of the reasons why Red Bull became so popular in the first place, at least with college students. I love Jagerbombs.

Phat
04-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Red Bull and Jagermeister. They are best friends for life. It was one of the reasons why Red Bull became so popular in the first place, at least with college students. I love Jagerbombs.
I fuckin' shower in that shit.

Bitches love my new haircut.

Lucas
04-09-2009, 12:55 PM
This one time I was pulling an all-nighter I decided to use some energy drinks to make it easier; I think they were Sobe drinks.

They kept me up all night long because they shot straight through my system and I had to pee every twenty-thirty minutes tops for the next 6+ hours.

Energy drinks haven't really appealed to me since then. Now, chocolate-covered espresso beans, on the other hand...

Willm
04-10-2009, 05:14 AM
I had to come in a couple of hours early today for work (damn stock market closing early because of Good Friday) and I bought a 5 Hour Energy for the first time to keep me awake. I haven't taken it yet, but the fact that it has 8333% daily value of Vitamin B12 is kind of odd.

Dizzy
04-10-2009, 11:53 AM
I had to come in a couple of hours early today for work (damn stock market closing early because of Good Friday) and I bought a 5 Hour Energy for the first time to keep me awake. I haven't taken it yet, but the fact that it has 8333% daily value of Vitamin B12 is kind of odd.

I have to try this now. I have never been a believer of the power of energy drinks, seeing them as sugary crap on the scale of Powerade and Gatorade. Maybe this will be the one to convince me others. Mmmmmyes.

Willm
04-10-2009, 12:00 PM
I have to try this now. I have never been a believer of the power of energy drinks, seeing them as sugary crap on the scale of Powerade and Gatorade. Maybe this will be the one to convince me others. Mmmmmyes.

Due to the results of my first 5-hour energy test, I wouldn't advise it! (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=444720&postcount=5004)

demonkoala
04-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Redbull and Vodka amirite?

It's probably a bit late, but I second all mentions on yerba mate and overcaffeinated green teas. Natural caffeine is the way to go.

I hope Philliam isn't dead from curiosity of trying all the drinks.

Dizzy
04-16-2009, 01:04 PM
I didn't manage my time well this week so I had to pick up something to stave off the desire to sleep. I wanted that 5-Hour Energy drink crap, but could not find it. So I purchased the subtlety titled Jolt. Now this drink promised six hours of hyperactivity. Sweet! The bottle warned that it contained intense stimulants and additives, and that the statement had not been verified or approved by the FDA. I'm sold.

Night time comes and I plan on the right time to use this stuff. I take a little cat nap, and after a few minutes I get up and feel all cold and groggy with the song Oil from the There Will Be Blood soundtrack straining in my head. I take the Jolt--which tastes like battery acid, or really bitter NyQuil--and within minutes this thing has kicked me into high gear. I am mentally alert and physically energetic enough to do what I need to do.

Now I was working my right hand the entire time, and I swear all the blood in my body was surging through my right hand. That hand looked swollen and vascular and felt like it was going to burst. That meant working my right hand was kind of tough, but I was too giddy to care. I kept working that hand all through the night, and my heart was racing and my right foot was tapping. This stuff was working!

After several hours though, say 3 or 4 hours, I start to slow down. I start to get bored with what I was doing and my right hand was calming down. Eventually I finished the deal and had a few hours to do my morning routine. I did not feel the crash, so to speak. I blame this my sheer will to stay alert and not have my body tell my mind what to do. About mid-morning, I'm starting to feel tired. Sleep is catching up to me, so I take another vial of Jolt. Now I'm giddy again. Even though I'm not working my right hand, it becomes vascular and swollen anyways. I feel my blood vessels on my neck, the side of my head and under my eyes pulsating. I feel myself hallucinating.

That morning I had some food: tea, yogurt, toast and some children and I had some lunch too, and I felt shocks, so to speak, in my kidneys and livers. I don't think I drank too much because I evenly spanned out the time between vials, but this stuff was doing some wicked stuff to my mind and body. I was going to get more so I could be even more active throughout the day but I gave in to sleep out of fear that I'd die. So I slept it off and I feel better, but I don't think I want to drink Jolt or use energy crap ever again. I think I learned my lesson and will manage my time with more manageability from now on.

CONCLUSION, for whoever doesn't want to read through that crap:

JOLT!

Will give you the energy you need but for 3-4 hours, not 5 or 6.
Very little 'crash' effect.
Too much will make you a veiny, hallucinating, fast-breathing panicky monster.
These reactions are unique to myself and may not apply to you.
Highly recommended!

Taeryn
04-16-2009, 02:17 PM
I went to school for architecture and all nighters or late nighters were really common. I knew people who just did regular coffee or the starbucks energy drink (i don't know what its called). Others did the redbull thing. I found that stuff all makes me too jittery and its hard to focus, two things you don't want when you're trying to wield tweazers and an X-acto blade.

I got more done simply by taking short breaks and power naps. Of course, I knew others who tried that and wouldn't wake back up, so choose your poison i guess...

Sometimes I really miss architecture school and studio, but I sure as hell don't miss all nighters and no life... wait check that... still don't have a life...

spineshark
04-16-2009, 04:34 PM
This thread promised so little and delivered so very much.

mrbuu82
04-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Jolt is ridiculous stuff. I had a friend who swore by it all through high school and college. He was always very hyper, but the caffeine in Jolt just made into an ultra-productive worker ant. He actually had withdrawl symptoms when he decided to go cold turkey from it. Caffeine is dangerous, man.

Torgo
04-17-2009, 02:43 AM
Caffeine withdrawals are incredibly unpleasant. I'm drinking more canned tea these days, and I generally feel a lot better for it.

Sanagi
04-17-2009, 03:22 AM
Getting caffeinated is a particularly bad idea if you have to give a presentation, or worse, play a musical instrument. I-I-I-'m n-n-n-nervous c-c-c-can y-you t-t-t-t-tell?

Dizzy
05-11-2009, 08:49 PM
I can't believe how much I've become reliant on this stuff lately... anyways, Rock Star's wild berry energy shot is seriously bitter stuff. More bitter than piss. I think it is piss. It's working well so far. Casually reading posts here hasn't made my eyelids heavy.

I tried the 5-Hour energy shot before and it lasted for only two hours, by my feeling. Good thing I got some Jolt shots to save the day, but I think my body is adapting to this stuff like bacteria mutating before the presence of antibiotics. Evolution, Mr. Anderson, evolution. Like the dinosaur.

Paul le Fou
05-12-2009, 04:09 PM
I tried 5-hour energy on sunday for the mother's day slam at work. I drank a whole thing for the front 5 and felt kinda sick for a bit, but did the half-bottle for the back 5. Overall good impression. Didn't make me feel energetic but it DID make me feel not tired. No crash, I simply got tired again when it ran out.

Shagohod
05-12-2009, 11:48 PM
I'll have to disagree with sanagi. I play extreme metal and energy drinks help a little. I play drums and it just makes me alert and stuff. The only time i've ever felt jittery was when i drank 2 starbucks doubleshots back to back. My main poison is green Monster. It's so delicious

Dizzy
05-15-2009, 01:32 PM
Failing that, I'll recommend NOS if you can find the bottles (not the 16 oz. cans) for a decent taste and a good price for the amount of caffeine you're getting.

I've recently tried this, the original I think, and it had a pineapple-y flavor but didn't deliver the buzz.

Monster - I like the original flavor a lot, but the volume of the can is bothersome and it has kind of a nasty aftertaste.

I have no faith in Monster, but I would recommend Irish-flavored Java Monster. No buzz, but it tastes so good that you'll be surprised how quickly you consume it, considering the size of the can. Mixing bits of Irish people in the can really works.

Ostrich
07-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Thread revival, because I am currently drinking such a drink.

I tend not to drink energy drinks for the boost, but I will instead enjoy them for the flavor which seems to be a strange concept to some of my friends. Normally, the only time I will ever buy one is whenever I know I'll be able to sit down for a long stretch of gaming.

Last night was such a time, and my drink of choice was the fairly new Monster Import. The can is huge, but they make up for it by including an easily resealable top that will allow for the drink to be stored in the fridge for a time without losing much of it's flavor. The flavor itself is great, and I think it even tastes a little better than a normal Monster.

However, now that I've finished it my teeth feel like a ravaged wasteland.

Has anyone else found any new and good energy drinks lately?

Comb Stranger
07-03-2010, 09:30 AM
I still swear by No Fear. I don't get how people can say they like the taste of Red Bull or Monster. No Fear still tastes like ass, but it seems to work better.

All in all though, since I'm no longer working at 4am, I've kind of lain off the energy drinks.

AJR
07-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Yíknow, itís a good think most energy drinks taste disgusting. Itís a good incentive for me to avoid them.

Dizzy
07-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Recommending Spike Shooter (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?p=800097#post800097). It didn't really send me into overdrive since I got scared and decided to drink it all in sips in the space of an hour, but it even at that point it energized me pretty damn good, and I'm sure if I had taken half the can in one shot I would have been bouncing off the wall. The stuff might be dangerous though, almost every reaction I've read has been horrific, though usually from idiots who can't read labels. What was that about taking off the labels and warning signs off of things and letting the problem of stupid people solve itself?

Torgo
07-11-2010, 12:23 AM
I used to drink one called Rehab that came in a 12 oz. powder blue and silver can. Has a nice, light berry flavor to it. I can't drink 'em any more though; I developed a particularly bad caffeine habit off of it. If I try to drink one now I feel like I got punched in the gut a few times. (edit: and what do you know, I already said that in this thread last year. Hah.)

If I knock back an energy drink, I stick to the original 8.4 oz. Red Bull.

Comb Stranger
07-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Rockstar Cola tastes like an even milder RC cola.

Torgo
07-12-2010, 10:58 PM
That's bad news considering RC totally sucks now.

nadia
07-13-2010, 12:06 AM
Energy drinks haven't really appealed to me since then. Now, chocolate-covered espresso beans, on the other hand...

One of my favourite gaming memories involves an all-nighter with Donkey Kong Country 2 and a bag of chocolate covered espresso beans.

I used to be really big into energy drinks before I realised they weren't helping all that much, and probably poisoning me slowly. But I indulge once in a while. I like AMP because it tastes decent, and I also like Beaver Buzz, which is a Canadian specialty, apparently. Wow, who could tell from the name alone.