PDA

View Full Version : My new, improved brush with celebrity

Caithness
06-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Okay, this totally beats meeting Bob Sapp in the restaurant at the New Sanno Hotel: I was in Don Bluth's living room and didn't even realize it.

It happened during my cross-country road trip at the beginning of May. We were staying in Phoenix with our neighbors from when we lived in Tokyo. They invited us to the dress rehearsal of a play that their high-school age daughters were in. The perfomance was held at the director's house, who had a stage in his living room. Before it started, he gave us a lecture on the five kinds of actors, only two of which he considered to be truly acting. I first began to suspect something during the intermission when I saw the RIAA award for 500,000 copies sold of the Anastasia soundtrack hanging on the wall.

I thought I recognized the name on the plaque, but it wasn't until we were back at our friends' house discussing the play that I realized, oh yeah, that's the guy responsible for Dragon's Lair and the Secret of NIMH.

sraymonds
06-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Are we talking Bob "The Beast" Sapp? Cuz I would find that more interesting than Don Bluth.

Caithness
06-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Yeah, that Bob Sapp. But he hangs out at the New Sanno all the time, so there's nothing unusual about seeing him there.

Falselogic
09-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Guys! Guys! I had lunch at Spattaro's again last week and Arnold Schwarzenegger was eating there!

This is a lot like last time I sat at a table next to him at Spattaro's except this time he wasn't with his wife, no one was courting him for political favors, and he got a shitty table!

How fleeting power is, huh?

TirMcDohl
09-06-2011, 08:29 PM
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr358/kirinjimcdohl/IMAG0021.jpg

...not celebrity enough for you?

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr358/kirinjimcdohl/n1439945668_263209_3430565.jpg

WH-BAM.

Eddie
09-06-2011, 08:31 PM
I used to serve Sidney Crosby breakfast sandwiches when I worked at Subway.

I have also sold Ellen Page a water flotation device for summertime beach fun.

- Eddie

Wolfgang
09-06-2011, 08:32 PM
I visited the set of Sesame Street once. I got to talk to the performers of Big Bird, Telly and Grover. I got to put the Grover puppet on for a minute.

TirMcDohl
09-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Oh, I don't have photographic proof of this one, but when I worked at Blockbuster, I used to rent movies to Chris Sabat, the guy who did Vegeta's voice in the Funimation dub of Dragon Ball Z.

TirMcDohl
09-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Also, looking at that Spoony photo, I realize just how massive his nose is. I mean, I thought mine was a little big.

Karzac
09-06-2011, 08:50 PM
I used to serve Sidney Crosby breakfast sandwiches when I worked at Subway.

I have also sold Ellen Page a water flotation device for summertime beach fun.

- Eddie

I'm pretty sure that every Canadian is only two degrees away from every Canadian celebrity.

My aunt is the Philadelphia Cream Cheese Angel. That probably doesn't mean anything to most people here, but whenever I tell that to people I meet, they always freak out.

Dawnswalker
09-06-2011, 08:55 PM
I've always wondered what the Manservant in those commercials did in life in order to be sentenced to the servitude of the Cream Cheese Angel. Does your aunt know?

TK Flash
09-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Where is Shivam? He can post so many pictures in this thread your browser will crash.

Karzac
09-06-2011, 09:00 PM
I've always wondered what the Manservant in those commercials did in life in order to be sentenced to the servitude of the Cream Cheese Angel. Does your aunt know?

I don't think the commercials were that intricately plotted.

Interestingly, she just ended that job this year. She'd been playing the character for 16 years, which as much as I can remember is the longest one person has played a character on a commercial this side of the Glad Man. So that's pretty cool.

Stiv
09-06-2011, 11:01 PM
I'm mentioned in the review of Silent Hill that Roger Ebert wrote (the best part is that I ended up hating the movie, even though I was drunk while watching it). This has been a great boon at parties in the past.

I never did get to ask him how he could have possibly enjoyed Garfield, though.

djSyndrome
09-07-2011, 06:33 AM
my son w/ some random Japanese game industry guy:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/djSyndrome/P2120057.jpg

Preeeeetty much the best day ever.

upupdowndown
09-07-2011, 06:35 AM
All of my celebrity interactions have been with indie-ish music folks. All of them have been, like, ridiculously nice and down-to-earth.

Met Neko Case almost ten years ago when my then-boyfriend and I drove out to Indy to see her and arrived at the venue stupid early. She was very sweet as well as blown away that someone would drive a whole 90 minutes to come see her play (I imagine she's a bit more used to the notion at this point). She ended up dedicating the last song of the night to us.

At a signing at Lollapalooza in 1994, Kim Deal from the Pixies and the Breeders grabbed me to keep from turning away so that she could read my nerdy books t-shirt. (She approved.) One of my good friends is actually extremely close friends with both the Deal sisters - like, lived-with-Kelly-for-a-month-after-his-last-breakup close - but i've yet to meet them as an adult.

I bought a White Stripes album from Jack White when they opened for Sleater-Kinney in 2000 and the WS were still small enough that they were working their own merch table. He was actually bashful when I complimented him on their set.

Paul le Fou
09-07-2011, 07:28 AM
Physically bumped into Steven Spielberg as he was wearing a VR headset at an event with George Lucas and Robert Zemeckis also present. Walked past several Heismann Trophy winners and Pete Carroll. Saw David Hasselhoff walk past my office. Took a sound class from the TH in THX.

Also my old boss swears (convincingly?) that Herbie the Love Bug is named after him.

valhalladeath
09-07-2011, 07:36 AM
Amazingly enough, Carl Weathers (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001835/) owns a farm outside of the town where I work. I've run in to him at about 5 different places over the last couple years. He is super friendly and cool and actually remembered my name last time I saw him. I just find it extra bizarre to bump into a well-known actor on a regular basis in NW Iowa.

I also hung out with Marilyn Manson after a concert at a bowling alley in Omaha, Nebraska. I ran into Trent Reznor at a truck stop near Sioux Falls, South Dakota and actually ended up having a cup of coffee with him. This is most notable as I am a NIN fanboy. I used to have pictures, but they were destroyed in an apartment fire in 2001. :(

But my high point would have to be at the UNC Jazz Festival in Greeley, CO. I was there with the college jazz band and jazz vocal group. The first day was vocal performances, and I actually ended up winning one of the Downbeat/Shure Microphone outstanding vocalist awards. This lead to me being invited to participate in a panel the next day about jazz and scat singing. This ended up with me performing a song with none other than Joe Williams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Williams_%28jazz_singer%29), former vocalist with the Count Basie Orchestra. Having a scat battle with one of the greatest male jazz vocalists of all time was surreal and absolutely one of my greatest memories.

Zodar
09-07-2011, 08:35 AM
chuck jones used to be a regular at the restaurant where my parents worked. shortly after i was born, he drew a picture of my mother holding baby-me in her arms.

we were both rabbits, though

upupdowndown
09-07-2011, 09:03 AM
chuck jones used to be a regular at the restaurant where my parents worked. shortly after i was born, he drew a picture of my mother holding baby-me in her arms.

we were both rabbits, though

THREAD OVER

not gonna top that one, no sirree

Kazin
09-07-2011, 09:27 AM
THREAD OVER

not gonna top that one, no sirree

Oh yeah? BOOM:

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1356/billz.jpg

(sorry about the blurriness...) and sorry to my chin for that awful hair

Caithness
09-07-2011, 11:53 AM
It's kind of strange to see my topic take off, four years after the fact.

I don't know whether to feel happy, or sad that I no longer have one of the oldest Last Posts in the Pit of Flames.

Karzac
09-07-2011, 12:25 PM
So I had a bit of a weird/awesome experience tonight.

Around 5 o'clock my friend texted me to invite to go see a free screening of Scott Pilgrim at the Bloor Cinema (it's in Toronto, across the street from Honest Ed's). Apparently it was to promote the DVD and Edgar Wright was going to be there, so I said sure. Then I got there and there was a huge lineup (seriously, like three hundred people) and it was fucking cold. But we waited, along with another friend of hers, for a long, long time.

After two hours, we were within site of the theatre, but the line wasn't moving at all. By this point, people leaving the front of the line, saying that the theatre was full and they weren't letting anyone else in. But we were all like "We don't know those people, they could be lying. We've waited this long, we'll wait a little longer." Then I said, as a joke "I won't leave until Edgar Wright comes out himself and tells me to go home."

Ten minutes later, Edgar Wright comes outside. Everyone was pretty stunned. He was hugging people, shaking their hands, telling them "sorry, but the theatre's full." Then he came up to us, and I shook his hand, and told him what I had said earlier. He laughed, and then we left.

So basically, I met Edgar Wright and made him laugh. I'm awesome.

BŁge
09-07-2011, 01:22 PM
I met Fred Gallagher back in 2002. He was an okay dude. Got a book signed by Leonard Nimoy. Met Adam Hughes and J. Scott Campbell and Peter David in 2006...

Let's see... high fives from Bif Naked at a concert a few years ago?

Adam
09-07-2011, 02:09 PM
I once shook hands with Nich Maragos of thegia.com i still haven't washed it and my wife is getting mad

BEAT
09-07-2011, 03:23 PM
I've hugged about half of my favorite musicians now.

Unfortunately it's the half nobody's ever heard of.

Adam
09-07-2011, 03:25 PM
I've hugged about half of my favorite musicians now.

Unfortunately it's the half nobody's ever heard of.

We've heard of penises, BEAT.

Sarcasmorator
09-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Got to visit Skywalker Ranch a few years back for a press junket, and said a few words to Ian McDiarmid. Frank Oz was there, too, and Hayden Christensen.

Pulitzer winner Leonard Pitts Jr. visited my paper a while back to talk about his column. So that was cool.

John
09-07-2011, 03:35 PM
I once shook hands with Nich Maragos of thegia.com i still haven't washed it and my wife is getting mad

Me too! I've been asked questions about my gloved right hand, and have been telling them I want my brief touch with genius to be with me forever...

they'll understand when they see my shrine

Paul le Fou
09-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Oh! I worked on a student movie with Robert Picardo. Bill Nye had a cameo too (they are friends).

BŁge
09-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Hayden Christensen.

Did you stinkpalm him?

Sarcasmorator
09-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Never got within range.

Kirin
09-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Got to say hi to George Takei and his beau at DragonCon one year. He's totally awesome.

(Also saw Patrick Stewart, but that was in a panel hall with several thousand other people and I never got closer, so I don't think it counts. Ditto for plenty of other big D*C guests.)

Oh, and they're not quite so big-time, but I shared an elevator with Paul and Storm (the dudes who always open for Jonathan Coulton) this year.

BŁge
09-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Oh, I also met Stephen Silver (http://silvertoons.com/index.html) at FanExpo a few years back. He was pretty cool. I got him to personalize an artbook for a friend.

Karzac
09-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Oh, and they're not quite so big-time, but I shared an elevator with Paul and Storm (the dudes who always open for Jonathan Coulton) this year.

That's awesome! When I saw Coulton live last year, I almost enjoyed Paul and Storm more, since all their stuff was new to me. They also have hilarious on-stage banter.

DemoWeasel
09-09-2011, 10:57 PM
I received news today that Chris Sanders and Glen Keane will be giving guest lectures at our college! This is pretty cool.

Olli T
09-09-2011, 11:53 PM
I guess I met George R. R. Martin at a con once, and at a signing the following day!

Daikaiju
09-10-2011, 05:26 AM
My brother & I met Darth Vader (I think it was Prowse in the outfit...) at a signing promoting ESB's premeire.

I passed George Takei in the hotel during a Shore Leave con in MD. He likes short shorts when he jogs.

I have a copy of Spawn #9 signed by Neil Gaiman at a local comic shop and by McFarlane and Tom Orzechowski at Philadelphia Comic-Fest 93 (closest we've ever come to SDCC levels of pagentry).

I met Macho Man Randy Savage briefly when I went to the local radio station to pick up some CDs I won.

And that's about it. Nothing major.

BŁge
09-10-2011, 08:25 AM
I received news today that Chris Sanders and Glen Keane will be giving guest lectures at our college! This is pretty cool.

JEALOUSY

DemoWeasel
09-10-2011, 12:08 PM
We get tons of people over here to do guest lectures, usually figures from the animation industry!

I've met dudes like Eric Goldberg, Nik Ranieri, Will Finn, Kirk Wise, Gary Trousdale, Corey Burton, Janet Waldo, Don Hahn, and quite a few others who I can't quite recall at the moment.