PDA

View Full Version : Cast At Demonhead

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

SilentSnake
10-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Our main page. (http://castatdemonhead.libsyn.com/)

Thanks to Warg for the awesome intro music! (Roaring Warg, roaringwarg (at) gmx (dot) com)

Also now available on iTunes. Just search for us!

Stephen
10-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Yeah, the first 3 minutes are a little wahjah, but after that it starts to get less terrible. Also, sorry that the sound quality is so spotty, my voice was recorded at an inaudible volume and I had to go back and increase it manually. If the first run was "Unmitigated Disaster", this is more "Well, I Guess it Could Have Been Worse".

It was fun though. If we continue to do them, we'll work more forum members into the mix. Everyone should get a shot at doing something like this once, just to see what it's like. Edit: The idea of using forum topics to drive a podcast forward worked better than I thought--these are subjects we all have opinions on and experience thinking about, even though it's hard for a group of people with no recording experience to do so in an interesting and intelligent way.

Dan Moreton
10-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Great stuff, looking forward to giving this a listen!

Balrog
10-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Anyone else having trouble downloading?

DemoWeasel
10-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Pretty good stuff. The audio quality didn't bother me much and you all seemed relatively comfortable chatting with each other.

I want to participate in the next one if I can =)

TK Flash
10-25-2009, 07:36 PM
I am having trouble downloading.

Dizzy
10-25-2009, 07:39 PM
IDK -- I can't relate to any of this but from a technical perspective it's all good.

Brickroad
10-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Can't download it. =(

MCBanjoMike
10-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Can't download it. =(

Calorie Mate
10-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Can't download it. =(

Balrog
10-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Could Parish host it here or ...?

dangerhelvetica
10-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Seems to be a problem with Mediafire.

R.R. Bigman
10-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Is it going to be up on itunes? That's how I do most of my listenin' these days.

Stephen
10-25-2009, 09:04 PM
We can't download it.

Sorry about that. There'll be a new link in like 10 minutes. I was under the impression that if I set up an account, mediafire would allow more than 10 downloads. Guess I was wrong about that. I'm looking into other, more permanent ways to host this stuff, but I didn't want to get too carried away until I was sure we would do more than 1 or 2 shows.

Is it going to be up on itunes? That's how I do most of my listenin' these days.

There is a review process for publishing stuff on iTunes, plus it can take anywhere from a week to a month for it to show up. So yes, if we settle into a groove and start making shows on a fairly regular basis, it will show up there. For now though, it's just a random fun thing for podcast fans to try their hand at podcast hosting.

Stephen
10-25-2009, 09:07 PM
Here's the new link. (http://d01.megashares.com/?d01=5ada9a4) Damn, wish I had read the mediafire ToS a little better.

SilentSnake
10-25-2009, 09:08 PM
Updated the first post.

Azar
10-25-2009, 09:35 PM
You guys might want to consider a Dropbox (www.getdropbox.com) for hosting the podcast. Free and easy. They don't have a bandwidth limit that I know of, either.

dangerhelvetica
10-25-2009, 09:59 PM
Love the theme song. It's very Karnov.

And I got the PSA reference.

Balrog
10-25-2009, 10:27 PM
Thoughts so far:

How Stephan says 'elementary' is gold.

Minus world is real. WTF, guys.

The Lou quote is pure awesome.

Stephen
10-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Lucas has kindly offered to mirror the podcast for us. (http://www.sixmeans.com/misc/CastAtDemonhead1.mp3) You can just right-click/save that link or even click it and listen through your browser, which is awesome.

Thanks a lot man.

How Stephan says 'elementary' is gold.

There's a story behind that, (also philosophical is "fillosofical" and chaos is often chachos) and I refuse to change my heathen ways.

Stiv
10-25-2009, 10:47 PM
This was better than it had any right to be.

Phantoon
10-26-2009, 07:29 AM
That was a pretty good first stab. It's also quite interesting to hear what you all sound like, too. Alixsar sounds just like I imagined, weirdly.

Dan Moreton
10-26-2009, 07:55 AM
Great first episode guys, you all sounded natural and relaxed, kinda wish you kept the Tim Schafer segment in though, I would have happily listened to another hour or so. Sound quality was a lot better than i expected as well.

AJR
10-26-2009, 08:04 AM
I liked this. Y'all work well together.

Balrog
10-26-2009, 08:24 AM
That was a pretty good first stab. It's also quite interesting to hear what you all sound like, too. Alixsar sounds just like I imagined, weirdly.

Man, they sound completely different on Xbox Live. It weirds me out.

Knight
10-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Man, they sound completely different on Xbox Live. It weirds me out.
Yea man, when I first heard it, I was like "Man, is that Red Hedgehog? He kinda sounds like crazy, but different." and then crazy introduced himself, and I was like whoa. I recognized Alixsar right off the bat though.

Ethan
10-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Still can't download.

Eddie
10-26-2009, 09:57 AM
I don't think anyone will be able to hate on Alixsar's "Zelda: OoT" LP for taking 10 months to complete, when my LP is probably going to be finished sometime in 2012.

- Eddie

Ethan
10-26-2009, 10:13 AM
Oh, didn't see that third link to the mirror.

For future reference, there are numerous sites that will host the files in a similar way to this "Megashares" site but that are more reputable and don't have this weird, horribly broken download token system. YouSendIt and ZShare are the ones I know offhand. As mentioned before, Dropbox would also work nicely.

sraymonds
10-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Who dropped the "reimagining of the release date for Silent Hill Wii" line?

Classic.

pence
10-26-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm listening to this now, and it's freaking me out because you're bringing the forum to liiiiife!

Early comment: Percy is the best meme.

Balrog
10-26-2009, 12:19 PM

Classic.

Alixsar. I was lollin'.

Red Hedgehog
10-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Yea man, when I first heard it, I was like "Man, is that Red Hedgehog? He kinda sounds like crazy, but different." and then crazy introduced himself, and I was like whoa. I recognized Alixsar right off the bat though.

Gee, thanks. Now I have a great way to describe my voice to people.

Alixsar
10-26-2009, 03:26 PM

Classic.

I was extremely adamant about that making the cut.

Also, re: the Tim Schafer stuff. We went on for about an hour about him, but to be honest, only the the last five to ten minutes were interesting. But the last five to ten minutes wouldn't make any sense without the previous/boring 50 minutes. Kind of a drag. In the interest of time, it had to go.

Knight
10-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Gee, thanks. Now I have a great way to describe my voice to people.
Heh, sorry, I guess I should have capitalized Crazy so it would have been clearer, I don't think you sound crazy. It's just that SilentSnake's Xbox Live name is crazy_gamer, and most of the time, that gets shortened to just Crazy. Since most our interaction is through Xbox Live, I'm used to calling them by their Xbox Live names, and it just comes out like that on the forums, like Stephen gets called Meat, and Not_from_LOTR_Balrog is Adam. You were the only one on that podcast that I hadn't heard before, and since their voices sounded different than on Xbox Live, I thought that that voice might have been you.

Red Hedgehog
10-26-2009, 04:47 PM
I was extremely adamant about that making the cut.

Also, re: the Tim Schafer stuff. We went on for about an hour about him, but to be honest, only the the last five to ten minutes were interesting. But the last five to ten minutes wouldn't make any sense without the previous/boring 50 minutes. Kind of a drag. In the interest of time, it had to go.

I'm mostly with Alix, here. I think it started well, dragged a whole bunch in the middle, and finally got on track at the end with Alix making a nice profound comment to drag us out of our torpid complacency. Although I was happy that I got to call Guybrush Threepwood a schlemiel.

Dizzy
10-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Also, re: the Tim Schafer stuff. We went on for about an hour about him, but to be honest, only the the last five to ten minutes were interesting. But the last five to ten minutes wouldn't make any sense without the previous/boring 50 minutes.

Impressive restraint.

Red Hedgehog
10-26-2009, 06:10 PM
Remembering better now, I got my NES for either my birthday or Christmas of 1987. Which is how the deluxe set with R.O.B. was still around.

Badinage
10-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Great job, guys. Listened to it last night, and it was great company while doing some artwork for a course. I can't wait for more, and would love to contribute sometime.

Bergasa
10-26-2009, 07:36 PM
Looking forward to giving this a listen soon. :)

Kazin
10-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Finally got around to listening to this. Highly listenable, it is. Enjoyed it quite a bit - only complaint is that Red Hedgehog was kinda hard to hear, but apparently you guys are working on that, so yeah.

Good stuff! Thanks!

Calorie Mate
10-27-2009, 10:52 AM
I'm impressed. This was far better than I thought it would be for a first attempt!

Of course, it still has the problem of being yet another "4 guys sit around and shoot the shit about video games" but that complaint aside, I liked it very much. It was nice to have people that waste their time on the same website / are more interested in the smaller subset of video gaming I am talking for a change.

MCBanjoMike
10-27-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm impressed. This was far better than I thought it would be for a first attempt!

I've gotta agree to that. It took you guys a few minutes to get into the swing of things, but after that it was pretty smooth sailing. A few more episodes to work the kinks out and this could become the sort of thing that's worth listening to even if you aren't a member of Talking Time.

Of course, it still has the problem of being yet another "4 guys sit around and shoot the shit about video games" but that complaint aside, I liked it very much.

I honestly don't think that this is worthy of complaint, to be honest. With 1Up Yours dead and buried, Idle Thumbs on its way out and Retronauts varying its format more and more, I don't get enough of the "four dudes rappin' about videogames" stlye podcasts these days. There's a reason it's a classic formula: it works pretty well, most of the time.

You guys made the right call. I'd much rather listen to an hour of good stuff than an hour of good stuff followed by an hour of "meh". Quality over quantity is a rule that not enough podcasts follow.

Calorie Mate
10-27-2009, 11:44 AM
I honestly don't think that this is worthy of complaint, to be honest. With 1Up Yours dead and buried, Idle Thumbs on its way out and Retronauts varying its format more and more, I don't get enough of the "four dudes rappin' about videogames" stlye podcasts these days. There's a reason it's a classic formula: it works pretty well, most of the time.

Almost every other video game-related podcast out there does this. Into the Score (and often times Retronauts) is the only one I can think of that doesn't do it, and that's a special case anyway.

Adrenaline
10-27-2009, 01:03 PM
You still have to explain why "standard radio show format" is a bad radio show format.

Calorie Mate
10-27-2009, 01:07 PM
I didn't say it was bad, I said that means it's nothing special. Idle Thumbs, for example, has dudes that work in the industry and bring a perspective I can't get just anywhere, whereas this is jsut 4 dudes that play video games. I can get that in my own house. (Again, I'm not ripping on it - I liked it, and like I said, it's guys from this forum and I know I like a higher percentage of the same stuff you guys do than most other people.)

Adrenaline
10-27-2009, 01:16 PM
I just feel like it's complaining that a new rock band has a guitar, bass, and drums. If a band wants to do something new and interesting that's fine, but I can't fault them for sticking with the traditional setup.

McClain
10-27-2009, 01:18 PM
For me, podcasts are as much (if not more) about the personalities than the format. I like Retronauts equally when it's tightly formatted segments as I do when its Parish and Chris rambling about something, and it's because those guys are entertaining. I think a good show can work either way, and maybe changing things up as topics dictate is a way to go.

I just DLed this, so I'll weigh in after I finish listening to it.

Ethan
10-27-2009, 07:23 PM
It's awkward but it has charm. A couple people generally spoke too slowly, I felt. I assume this will pass with time. Overall it was more relaxed and natural than I expected.

I wish you would use your real names. Using your internet handles is weird to me.

McClain
10-27-2009, 07:35 PM
So... good first effort! Most early podcasts are nigh unlistenable. A few mixing issues and stepping on each other, but that will pass with getting to know each other and the recording process.

I like how you talked about forum stuff, but didn't just regurgitate what we already talk about here. It's just sort of, hey, this topic came up, let's talk about it, like how you talked about your parents takes on the NES.

Oh, and the length was just about perfect. I don't think any podcast should be longer than an hour. I don't know how much was cut out, but it's good to not let it get bloated.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Stiv
10-27-2009, 08:11 PM
I wish you would use your real names. Using your internet handles is weird to me.

Agreed.

Are you guys going to have rotating mystery forum guests, or try and keep a consistent lineup going?

SilentSnake
10-27-2009, 08:42 PM
First, I just wanted to say thanks for the comments, guys. It's a big enough deal that I actually followed through with something I wanted to do, but to hear that everyone liked what they heard is a very big deal. Hopefully, we can all turn this into something great and improve with every episode.

Some responses:

I initially felt like the show needed to have some sort of topic paired with the generalized talk, but after recording the first episode and noting that the first part was way better than the second, especially after hearing Stephen's edits, I realized we really don't need to do that. That's not to say that we won't do themed shows ever. I have some ideas on when and what I want to do regarding that, but for right now, the format in this first episode works for us. So that's what will be the norm with some slight adjustments as I observe can be improved.

I want to have the crew stay soemwhat consistent, yet with a rotating cast. This means we'll be inserting new people in quite a bit, but we won't completely change the crew from episode to episode. The people that will be on will also be dependent on what I have on the agenda to talk about, meaning I want the people who are on to be experienced with the topics on the shows. In this case, experience with the games we talk about or participated in a hot topic on the board. But it is going to be fairly consistent as far as who is on at once. Stay tuned for how that works out.

Re: Names: I wanted people to use their usernames because I want everyone to know who is talking at any given time. Also, it's because this is the Talking Time podcast. I want the personalities of the people on the boards to come through on the podcast. They do that with whichever name we call each other, but it gets a little bit muddled if you don't know who everyone is. (Also, my name is Jeremy. You can see how this might be a problem.)

I'm aiming to record the second episode this Friday, so...yeah. We'll see where this goes.

DemoWeasel
10-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Good times!

EDIT: I know some about cash-in mascot character vidya games and other horrible things. Also, CARTOONS.

Eddie
10-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Let me know if you ever need someone who knows about...

.... crap what do I know about?

Canada?

Yeah I've got Canada covered.

- Eddie

Edit: Wait, not the Quebec part.

innerlogic
10-27-2009, 09:35 PM
I want the people who are on to be experienced with the topics on the shows.

Well if you need someone who has extensive knowledge of the CD-I, 3DO, and other obscure video game consoles, then I'm your man! :cool:

Also I enjoyed the show :)

Kayma
10-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Haven't had a chance to listen yet, but I just wanted to say this is the best name for a podcast.

Ethan
10-27-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm your man for an EarthBound talk, at least if you want someone who's super into the game in a perfectly normal-person way, and will not start going off on a bunch of unnecessary Itoi and Mother tangents. I also have a pimp mic, at least by amateur podcast standards.

Stiv
10-27-2009, 10:28 PM
I'm one of those guys with a general breadth of 'nerd knowledge' but I would consider movies to be at the top of the charts on things I'm actually able to talk about. Putting me on a podcast to talk about cartoons would be the apocalypse because I would not ever shut up about what an old crazy man John K. is (I am so sad he took his blog private).

I'd kind of like to try my hand at recording/editing someday too if Stephen ever can't do it some weekend. Technical stuff is awesome!

Calorie Mate
10-28-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm your man for an EarthBound talk, at least if you want someone who's super into the game in a perfectly normal-person way, and will not start going off on a bunch of unnecessary Itoi and Mother tangents. I also have a pimp mic, at least by amateur podcast standards.

Tomm and I got the crazy Itoi and Mother tangents covered. ;)

ASandoval
10-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Ah, I know about games. Lots of games, really. And TV and movies. I also develop games, but for a new developer who at the moment makes casual games for the casual market, but hey, still a developer!

EDIT: I'm also a newer member though, so making way for the vets would probably be good to.

Alixsar
10-28-2009, 01:35 PM
ITT now that the podcast has finally materialized, everyone and their mom wants in again.

I kid, I kid. As you know Snake, if you ever want someone to go on a long and insane rant, I'm your man.

Red Hedgehog
10-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Right, and I'll always be there with my near-encyclopedic knowledge of the NES (and most other cartridge-based systems).

Excitemike
10-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Hey, good job, guys!

So, when is the next one?

PapillonReel
10-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Just finished listening to it. Aside for a few "dead air" moments and Red Hedgehog's (I think?) mic troubles, it was pretty good! If you guys need anyone to rave about Pokeymans, Fire Emblem, Zelda or anything PS2- or RPG-related, I'm your guy.

Gredlen
10-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Meat (Stephen) was the one in a tunnel full of dicks.

McClain
10-29-2009, 12:48 PM
I'm a pretty good Zelda guy, and I can always pretend I know what I'm talking about on other topics, but I don't know when I'd be able to record a show.

AJR
10-30-2009, 04:56 AM
Welp, I'm not an expert on anything in particular. I guess I know a fair bit about Another World though.

SilentSnake
10-30-2009, 02:41 PM
We're recording today, so if you all have something you want us to talk about or respond to, post now!

And if you have a "Dear Calories Man" question, I wouldn't mind that either...

dangerhelvetica
10-30-2009, 04:20 PM
how is babby formed

how girl get pragnent

rockintomordor
10-30-2009, 04:39 PM
What are your gut reactions to the DSi XL? Too soon? Too big? 2 Xtreme?

fanboymaster
10-30-2009, 05:11 PM
And I had just come in to talk about how much I enjoyed the first episode, now that I've finally gotten around to it.

I don't really have much to say, maybe Q: How do you feel about the saturation of games in the late fall and winter months?

Not exactly new or A-material but it's all I can think of on short notice.

PapillonReel
10-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Q: Are you really to blame for everything?

Morbid Coffee
10-30-2009, 05:24 PM
And if you have a "Dear Calories Man" question, I wouldn't mind that either...

Dear Calories Man,

Hello?

Love, Coffee.

Calorie Mate
10-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Dear Calories Man,

Hello?

Love, Coffee.

What, did you think you wouldn't get to hear it otherwise? ;)

Dizzy
10-30-2009, 07:27 PM
Dear Calories Man,

What's new and cool this season for fashion? What's hot, what's so five minutes ago and what's not?

SilentSnake
10-30-2009, 09:40 PM
Okay. It's in the bag now. Editing should take...a few days? It will be posted early next week.

Yeah, after recording the past two episodes, I can realistically say that we can have a regular podcast as of right now. It's now a reality.

Huh.

cortbassist89
11-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Listening now.

Outlook <strike>looks</strike> sounds good!

Pombar
11-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Listened to it on the way to and from a film today. Good stuff, very listenable and entertaining!

SilentSnake
11-06-2009, 09:44 AM
We have a page now. (http://castatdemonhead.libsyn.com/)

Oh, and uh I guess the second episode.

Stephen
11-06-2009, 11:28 AM
We have a page now. (http://castatdemonhead.libsyn.com/)

Oh, and uh I guess the second episode.

You guess! It's all there buddy. Here's the direct download link to prove it. (http://media.libsyn.com/media/castatdemonhead/Cast_At_Demonhead_Episode_2.mp3)

I'm still in the tunnel of dicks (gotta get a new mic). It's also 4 days late and the second half is rougher than the first, but I blame the bad RAM stick in my computer for that.

SilentSnake
11-06-2009, 11:30 AM
You guess! It's all there buddy. Here's the direct download link to prove it. (http://media.libsyn.com/media/castatdemonhead/Cast_At_Demonhead_Episode_2.mp3)

I'm still in the tunnel of dicks (gotta get a new mic). It's also 4 days late and the second half is rougher than the first, but I blame the bad RAM stick in my computer for that.

Well the link's in the page too, so I figured we had that covered.

Stephen
11-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Hey, we need a slogan for the blog page header. My 50's slang was supposed to be a placeholder, but I can't think of anything better. Anyone got any suggestions?

SlimJimm
11-06-2009, 12:13 PM
(gotta get a new mic)

You do. Like now. :P

Balrog
11-06-2009, 12:44 PM
I like to imagine that everyone is normal sized except for Stephen and he's like a little tiny human sitting on a sunflower or something. Don't get a new mic, Stephen, don't crush my dream.

MCBanjoMike
11-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Hey, we need a slogan for the blog page header. My 50's slang was supposed to be a placeholder, but I can't think of anything better. Anyone got any suggestions?

I can't imagine how it could possibly be any better than what you put there. Don't change a thing!

Alixsar
11-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Listening now. Mike, you sound way different.

sraymonds
11-06-2009, 03:55 PM
I hope Mike was introduced as Grammy-award winning Mike.

Alixsar
11-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Dude what? You guys talked about system wars and wanted irrational "which one is the best" responses? And you did that without me?!

That's it; I quit forever.

Edit: Come on, horror games don't have to be slow or have limited ammo to be scary. Tell me you weren't scared the first time you go to the village in RE4 and a huge swarm of villagers surrounded you. Then you barricaded yourself in a house AND HOLY SHIT THERE IS A CHAINSAW MAN AHHHH And yes, Regenerators are scary as fuck.

Edit Edit: Calories; you're dead.

Calorie Mate
11-06-2009, 04:54 PM
OH GOD MY VOICE IS AWFUL I'M SORRY YOU GUYS. Seriously, I sound like that? Man, I wish you all could hear how badass I sound to me.

Edit: Come on, horror games don't have to be slow or have limited ammo to be scary. Tell me you weren't scared the first time you go to the village in RE4 and a huge swarm of villagers surrounded you. Then you barricaded yourself in a house AND HOLY SHIT THERE IS A CHAINSAW MAN AHHHH And yes, Regenerators are scary as fuck.

That's not really scary so much as intense. And again, you have very limited weapons at that part; for the rest of the game you're buying more and more fire arms and everything ceases to be frightening.

I don't believe good gameplay has to be at odds with being scary, but it seems like once you're not horribly crippled by the controls or have more options than "awkwardly swing lead pipe" games seem to turn into action games and leave everything but cheap, quick scares behind.

Edit Edit: Calories; you're dead.

Wh-why?

SlimJimm
11-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Man, I wish you all could hear how badass I sound to me.

I think thats what everyone says when they hear themself.

Kishi
11-06-2009, 04:58 PM

Cast at Demonhead: I want you inside me.

Red Hedgehog
11-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Hey, that was good and fun even without me!

Also, I wish you had included my King's Quest V rant as a rebuttal to Mike. That game scarred me for life.

Calorie Mate
11-06-2009, 05:00 PM
I started a thread to move the argument about scary games elsewhere. (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=8890) You're welcome.

Alixsar
11-06-2009, 05:15 PM
And you talked about Zelda without me? Knife into back.

Red Hedgehog
11-06-2009, 05:24 PM
And you talked about Zelda without me? Knife into back.

We also talked about Zelda last week. :)

Also, Snake, Stephen, which ever of you mentioned you were surprised by X-Com and Star Control 2 on the Gamespite Quarterly best game ever list. It's obvious you didn't do much PC gaming in the mid-90s since both games won awards when they came out and regular make "Best PC Game" lists. :)

(Okay, I'm a little sensitive since I wrote both of those)

Falselogic
11-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks for mentioning my Space Quest 1-3 LP!

Bergasa
11-06-2009, 07:25 PM
I just listened to the first episode, guys (LttP, I know!). I think it actually turned out really well. It seems like a good cast mix, and you guys really play off eachother well. Mission comprete!

Alixsar
11-07-2009, 10:56 AM
We also talked about Zelda last week. :)

Yeah but we need to talk about Zelda all the damn time. It's the best.

Anyway, I think the second episode would've been better ending with the Doom song, but no matter. I liked it.

SilentSnake
11-07-2009, 05:13 PM
We're hopefully recording the third episode tonight. Taking requests for things to talk about.

Specifically:
Dragon Age: Origins
Lego Rock Band, Rock Band DLC, and music in general

Generally:
Whatever!

DemoWeasel
11-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Talk about the Thunderdomes.

Alixsar
11-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Talk about the Thunderdomes.

Can't we get beyond thunderdome? etc. etc.

Balrog
11-07-2009, 07:32 PM
We're hopefully recording the third episode tonight. Taking requests for things to talk about.

Specifically:

Generally:
Whatever!

The other night Stephen said that the Michael Mann opus "Heat" was overrated. You should talk about how retarded that is.

Stephen
11-07-2009, 07:41 PM
The other night Stephen said that the Michael Mann opus "Heat" was overrated. You should talk about how retarded that is.

Val Kilmer mother fucker.

TK Flash
11-07-2009, 10:35 PM
I like to imagine that everyone is normal sized except for Stephen and he's like a little tiny human sitting on a sunflower or something. Don't get a new mic, Stephen, don't crush my dream.

I love this. I really do. And it's true!

Calorie Mate
11-08-2009, 06:48 PM

Specifically:

Generally:
Whatever!

You're talking about this without me and Mike? Man, I'm noticing a trend in your cast vs. topics...

cortbassist89
11-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Slightly offtopic: the first time i heard reibeatall on XBL, he sounded exactly how I'd always imagined.

Stephen
11-11-2009, 05:48 PM
New show is up.
(http://castatdemonhead.libsyn.com/)
I'm still in the tunnel of dicks, but I'm researching microphones as we speak. The quality on this one is maybe more spotty than the last, but I edited in more music to distract you, so it all evens out. As always, feedback is greatly appreciated.

PS: Crazy's (slightly edited) show notes and a direct download link.

Episode 3: He Don't Even Care (http://media.libsyn.com/media/castatdemonhead/Cast_at_Demonhead-Episode-03.mp3)

It's a game-rific episode as SilentSnake, Stephen, Alixsar, and Matchstick discuss Rock Band, Left 4 Dead 2, Dragon Age: Origins, and Superman games. In the process, Alixsar displays his dog envy, we give the final word on whether DLC is good or evil and Stephen struggles to pronounce the word "jewelry". Put the kids to bed, cause it's time for Cast at Demonhead!

Mightyblue
11-11-2009, 06:15 PM
How do we even volunteer for this honor? Although I can only really blather endlessly about RPGs.

Alixsar
11-11-2009, 06:24 PM
How do we even volunteer for this honor? Although I can only really blather endlessly about RPGs.

YOU JUST DID SOLDIER

Mightyblue
11-11-2009, 06:25 PM
YOU JUST DID SOLDIEROh SHIIIII-

Naw, it's alright. I even own a mike that works!

Octopus Prime
11-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Hey! I got referenced! Yay me!

And there is bashing Superman! BOOO!

Pombar
11-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Welp, one walk to uni just got considerably more enjoyable. Seriously these cannot come out fast enough so I appreciate the high frequency of episodes! They really do improve my day

Morbid Coffee
11-12-2009, 01:21 AM
Stephen got the story of L4D2 Frank wrong. :(

Balrog
11-12-2009, 09:48 AM

What the hell, guys.

Stephen got the story of L4D2 Frank wrong. :(

I didn't hear a story, he just said the Jockey is now known as Frank.

SilentSnake
11-12-2009, 09:50 AM
What the hell, guys.

We talked about Heat. But you didn't say we couldn't cut it. :p

Calorie Mate
11-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Well, you had Alixsar and Matchstick talking about Rock Band, so I guess it's ok Mike and I weren't invited.

MCBanjoMike
11-12-2009, 09:56 AM
I'm still miffed that I missed out on the Rock Band discussion...but I will grudgingly admit that you did a great job of it. That's the only part that I've listened to so far, but to date it's a great episode!

EDIT: Ok, that's amazing, Calorie Mate and I posted those messages within seconds of each other.

Alixsar
11-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Well, you had Alixsar and Matchstick talking about Rock Band, so I guess it's ok Mike and I weren't invited.

We can talk about it again? We only scratched the surface on that one.

Matchstick
11-12-2009, 09:18 PM
We can talk about it again? We only scratched the surface on that one.

Indeed. I suggest a special roundtable of the four of us.

benjibot
11-13-2009, 12:34 AM
I have listened to the podcasts!

At the risk of a backhanded compliment this is much better than I'd ever expected it would be. Nice work gang!

SilentSnake sounds adorable, and Matchstick has an impressively deep voice.

Calorie Mate
11-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Indeed. I suggest a special roundtable of the four of us.

You would end up defending 99% of the DLC from Alixsar, who hates 99%. Mike and I would fall somewhere in the middle, most likely on opposite sides of each other on anything but Rush.

Man, it would be fun.

MCBanjoMike
11-13-2009, 10:52 AM
You would end up defending 99% of the DLC from Alixsar, who hates 99%.

Admittedly, it's actually pretty hard to hate on the DLC, since generally you only buy stuff you think you'll like. Obviously you get burned sometimes (Alixsar with his Funk pack, me with some of the stuff from Texas Flood or BloodSugarSexMagik), but generally the majority of DLC tunes are happy times for the people who buy them.

The on-disc stuff, however...

SilentSnake
11-13-2009, 06:06 PM
I wasn't able to record a full episode tonight, but I managed to record a segment with SlimJimm before he left for boot camp as a farewell of sorts for and from all of Talking Time.

I'm probably going to record the rest tomorrow.

Calorie Mate
11-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Admittedly, it's actually pretty hard to hate on the DLC, since generally you only buy stuff you think you'll like. Obviously you get burned sometimes (Alixsar with his Funk pack, me with some of the stuff from Texas Flood or BloodSugarSexMagik), but generally the majority of DLC tunes are happy times for the people who buy them.

The on-disc stuff, however...

Nah, I meant the overall DLC list.

I wasn't able to record a full episode tonight, but I managed to record a segment with SlimJimm before he left for boot camp as a farewell of sorts for and from all of Talking Time.

Awesome!

McClain
11-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Finally got around to listening to show 2 and most of 3. I like where this is going editing-wise. I'm sure it takes longer, but I think that the extra effort is worth it! Simple use of music and quick cuts make this feel like a much more professional show.

Do you guys listen to "You Look Nice Today?" It reminds me of that.

You have almost gotten to the point where I think a non-TT member could listen to and enjoy this first and then join us. That's right, you're making a gateway-drug-cast.

So how about an iTunes feed?

Stephen
11-15-2009, 12:20 AM
Finally got around to listening to show 2 and most of 3. I like where this is going editing-wise. I'm sure it takes longer, but I think that the extra effort is worth it! Simple use of music and quick cuts make this feel like a much more professional show.

Do you guys listen to "You Look Nice Today?" It reminds me of that.

So how about an iTunes feed?

Thanks, that means a lot. I've never heard of "You Look Nice Today?", but I'll check it out since there aren't enough podcasts with good editing. After doing 3 episodes, I know exactly why most shows do the 4-guys shooting the shit for 2 hours thing--editing is a giant pain in the ass. I guess early CHUD is the kinda thing we're going for, but we can't compete with giant crabs and Ted Levine.

iTunes feed is coming soon. I submitted it with the last episode, but it takes a while on their end.

SilentSnake
11-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Hey guys. Need people for next week, with the centerpiece being a discussion on New Super Mario Bros Wii. If you're playing it this week, we may have a spot for you! Let me know.

Ethan
11-15-2009, 09:33 AM
I will have my field recorder with me for this pizza meetup today, in case you want us to record a little nugget to throw into Ep. 2. Pretty sure NSMBWii will be played after pizza.

MCBanjoMike
11-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks, that means a lot. I've never heard of "You Look Nice Today?", but I'll check it out since there aren't enough podcasts with good editing. After doing 3 episodes, I know exactly why most shows do the 4-guys shooting the shit for 2 hours thing--editing is a giant pain in the ass. I guess early CHUD is the kinda thing we're going for, but we can't compete with giant crabs and Ted Levine.

iTunes feed is coming soon. I submitted it with the last episode, but it takes a while on their end.

What's CHUD?

Also, I totally agree with the editing comments. Be merciless, Meat!

Stephen
11-15-2009, 11:01 AM
This the CHUD show, (http://www.chud.com/demo/CHUDSHOW/CHUDshowitunesRSS.xml) it's from a movie website (http://chud.com/articles/) that I never read. The first and sixth episodes are my favorites. They stopped heavily editing it at the 12th or 13th episode and it hasn't been the same since (it's still good, though).

I will have my field recorder with me for this pizza meetup today, in case you want us to record a little nugget to throw into Ep. 2. Pretty sure NSMBWii will be played after pizza.

DO IT. That would be really cool.

(But it would be in episode 5--we've been putting one out every week.)

SlimJimm
11-15-2009, 11:13 AM
I apologize in advance if that bit I was on is crap. Ive never done this before and I dont know how much I rambled or how bad my voice will sound on it.

SilentSnake
11-15-2009, 11:14 AM
I apologize in advance if that bit I was on is crap. Ive never done this before and I dont know how much I rambled or how bad my voice will sound on it.

Hush. That was a really good segment.

DemoWeasel
11-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Hey guys. Need people for next week, with the centerpiece being a discussion on New Super Mario Bros Wii. If you're playing it this week, we may have a spot for you! Let me know.

I'm getting my copy today!

Matchstick
11-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Hush. That was a really good segment.

Agreed.

Morbid Coffee
11-15-2009, 02:52 PM
I apologize in advance if that bit I was on is crap.

You obviously weren't there for the Saturday night recording.

Alixsar
11-16-2009, 12:38 AM

I played it at Calorie's today so I can be there for an emergency spot. But I imagine there are a lot of people who want to talk about it more than I do so...yeah.

Calorie Mate
11-16-2009, 12:42 AM
I wished we'd recorded the part where I held you prisoner with my Yoshi. That would have been the best.

Alixsar
11-16-2009, 01:32 AM
I wished we'd recorded the part where I held you prisoner with my Yoshi. That would have been the best.

The part where I grabbed one of the Toads and started dancing back and forth with them in my mouth was pretty awesome too.

Calorie Mate
11-16-2009, 11:57 AM
We should have recorded the whole afternoon.

Alixsar
11-16-2009, 08:52 PM
We should have recorded the part where LUIGI BEAT THE LEVEL THAT WE WERE STUCK ON FOREVER. Luigi stands alone!

Calorie Mate
11-17-2009, 12:34 PM
I finally had a chance to finsih up Episode 2 and listen to most of Episode 3 last night. Good job, everyone. I really want Matchstick and Shivam on the same 'cast so we can have dueling deep voices.

Also, Stephen: splicing in Budgie into the Episode 2 conversation was great, and the particular samples you chose during everyone's Rock Band DLC in Episode 3 tells me that you are a good person.

We should have recorded the part where LUIGI BEAT THE LEVEL THAT WE WERE STUCK ON FOREVER. Luigi stands alone!

Since I've been playing two player with my girlfriend since you guys left, there have been a number of times where I plunge to my death just short of the goal, only to save her ass and let Luigi finish. what the hell is with that guy? Besides being the most awesome dude, I mean.

DemoWeasel
11-20-2009, 09:54 AM
Hey SilentSnake, do you still need people to talk about NSMB Wii for this week's show?

SilentSnake
11-20-2009, 10:05 AM
Hey SilentSnake, do you still need people to talk about NSMB Wii for this week's show?

Yeah plans changed. We're doing something else now. Thanks for offering, though!

Calorie Mate
11-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Yeah plans changed.

It's bullshit! Oh well.

SilentSnake
11-20-2009, 10:09 AM
It's bullshit! Oh well.

No YOU'RE bullshit!

Calorie Mate
11-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Save that energy for the podcast, my friend.

dwolfe
11-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Christ, as long as you guys are buying new games i can never follow along. Let me know if you want to talk older games/MMO's somewhat!

But production values/expertise is definitely going up as you guys get used to this. Keep it going, I need something to sub Idle Thumbs now!

SilentSnake
11-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Hey so Episode 4 is still coming. Editing is finishing up about now.

We just finished Episode 5 just now. Spoiler: eirikr's voice is deeper than you think.

Stephen
11-21-2009, 12:37 PM
Episode 4 is live.

Here's the direct link (http://media.libsyn.com/media/castatdemonhead/Cast_At_Demonhead_Episode_04.mp3), here's a link to the blog for show notes (http://castatdemonhead.libsyn.com/).

We have an iTunes feed now too, yaaay. I'm not a hundred percent sure how it works yet, but you can click here to subscribe (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=340769263). It's really bland at the moment--I did upload a crappy image I tossed together, but I'm not sure how long it'll be before iTunes updates the feed. Oh, and if anyone out there would like to make a good image, I'll love you forever.

sraymonds
11-21-2009, 12:50 PM
According to iTunes, episode 4 is called "Epidose 4".

Pombar
11-21-2009, 01:13 PM
According to iTunes, episode 4 is called "Epidose 4".Now I will constantly equate Cast at Demonhead to the dose you get from being stabbed by an Epipen.

McClain
11-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Wow, so any group of shmucks can get themselves on iTunes now, huh? :p

Just kidding, glad you guys got a feed. Now I can keep up with it every week. It's like it's a real show!

SilentSnake
11-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Re: Episode 4: It was a bit slapped together because Stephen was out sick and I had to record it alone. As well, we couldn't get people to commit to record when Jimm could record because people's plans kept changing, so I literally just grabbed a bunch of people off XBox Live who were available for both segments. So if you wanted to know why this episode sounds like it was held together with scotch tape, that's why.

Luckily, Episode 5's recording and planning went rather smoothly.

McClain
11-21-2009, 02:59 PM
I haven't listened to Ep 4 yet to know if you are just being hard on yourself or not, but I would always say it's better to skip a week than to crap out an episode just to stay on schedule. Speaking as someone who has way too many podcasts to listen to already, I would rather have an awesome monthly show than an OK weekly show.

That being said, I've liked everything I've heard so far, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

SilentSnake
11-21-2009, 03:04 PM
I haven't listened to Ep 4 yet to know if you are just being hard on yourself or not, but I would always say it's better to skip a week than to crap out an episode just to stay on schedule. Speaking as someone who has way too many podcasts to listen to already, I would rather have an awesome monthly show than an OK weekly show.

That being said, I've liked everything I've heard so far, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Well this was sort of a make or break week because Jimm wouldn't be here after that and I wanted some sort of show to mark the occasion. It was just bad timing that others couldn't make it as planned.

McClain
11-21-2009, 03:06 PM
Well this was sort of a make or break week because Jimm wouldn't be here after that and I wanted some sort of show to mark the occasion. It was just bad timing that others couldn't make it as planned.

I read the show notes and completely understand. I think that's pretty cool.

Alixsar
11-21-2009, 07:03 PM
Some notes on the first part:

- Dude I said call it "According to Jimm". What the hell?

- I wish I could remember what we were talking about when I interrupted you and said "Hey nerds let's talk about something interesting." BECAUSE I CAN'T AND IT IS FRUSTRATING

- The initial segment wasn't as much of a train wreck as I remember it being, thanks to Meat's extreme editing. Hooray!

Some notes on Jimm:

- His voice sounds way different than on XBL, but that's to be expected.

- That section was awesome. Apparently I'm halfway ready to be a pilot! Hooray!

- Foobles! Get off the couch! :rolleyes:

- I miss Jimm already. :(

R.R. Bigman
11-21-2009, 09:58 PM
Wait, you guys are on itunes?!

That's so cool!

Adrenaline
11-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Now that it's on iTunes I'm actually listening to this.

Mike, you are Canadian as hell.

R.R. Bigman
11-22-2009, 06:42 PM
I can't find it on itunes! What should I type in?

MCBanjoMike
11-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Mike, you are Canadian as hell.

Uh...I am? The only time this accusation has ever been leveled at me was the time that I went to West Virginia. I guess that's OK?

Matchstick
11-22-2009, 08:39 PM
I can't find it on itunes! What should I type in?

I found it by just searching for demonhead. Alternatively, you can try this link (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=340769263).

Adrenaline
11-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Uh...I am? The only time this accusation has ever been leveled at me was the time that I went to West Virginia. I guess that's OK?

You're not full-on aboot but you're totally aboat.

MCBanjoMike
11-23-2009, 10:36 AM
You're not full-on aboot but you're totally aboat.

Everybody look at me!

SERIOUS DISCUSSION TIME: ABOOT vs. ABOUT

So those aforementioned West Virginians, being the only people to ever call me out on having a Canadian accent, claimed that I was saying aboot instead of about. This is patently crazy, because the sound that came out of their mouths when they said "aboot" didn't sound anything like the sound that I made when I said the word in question. However, I also noticed that when they said about, it was as though they had added the letter w to the word, rendereing it abowt. To my ears this sounded grossly exaggerated, but after years of living with this sound they were no longer capable of distinguishing between the boots and bouts from up north. On that day, a great mystery was revealed to me.

Gredlen
11-23-2009, 10:42 AM
You know what word people pronounce strangely?

Mayonnaise.

MCBanjoMike
11-23-2009, 10:48 AM
You know what word people pronounce strangely?

Mayonnaise.

I knew a guy from Minnesota who called it "man-aise". That was pretty funny.

Pombar
11-23-2009, 10:53 AM
May on Aze.

Stephen
11-23-2009, 11:40 AM
According to iTunes, episode 4 is called "Epidose 4".

Yeah, I was not so on the stick there.

- I wish I could remember what we were talking about when I interrupted you and said "Hey nerds let's talk about something interesting." BECAUSE I CAN'T AND IT IS FRUSTRATING

Devil Survivor, Kudlak fighting strategies.

The-Bavis
11-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Dressin'

SilentSnake
11-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Next time on Cast At Demonhead: How to pronounce words!

You think I'm kidding.

Balrog
11-23-2009, 01:08 PM
I would have called the episode "Solomon had it easy".

Calorie Mate
11-23-2009, 01:13 PM
You do sound like the only other Canadian I've ever met, Mike, but you're right about the "aboot" thing.

I knew a guy from Minnesota who called it "man-aise". That was pretty funny.

...how are you supposed to pronounce it!?

MCBanjoMike
11-23-2009, 01:21 PM
...how are you supposed to pronounce it!?

There are three syllables!

Pombar
11-23-2009, 01:37 PM
The only two syllable combination I'd heard was "main-aze"

mr_bungle700
11-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Next time on Cast At Demonhead: How to pronounce words!

You think I'm kidding.

I would listen to this!

SilentSnake
11-23-2009, 02:25 PM
While we're at it we'll argue the whole creek/crick thing.

Morbid Coffee
11-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Can we all agree on ele-men-tary?

dangerhelvetica
11-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Element-tree.

Calorie Mate
11-23-2009, 02:34 PM
It's pronounced "din-ner" not "sup-per".

cortbassist89
11-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Few are oklahomans who pronounce comfortable correctly.

I want to punch them every time they say "comfterble."

DemoWeasel
11-23-2009, 02:44 PM
I hear "comftrable" a lot.

Calorie Mate
11-23-2009, 02:48 PM
I say "comfterble" a lot.

Willm
11-23-2009, 02:57 PM
When I was a kid I thought sugar was spelled "Sur-ger" since that's how my relatives pronounced it. I also thought it was the scientific term for diabetes!

Phantoon
11-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Quite a lot of people say nukeular. Including the ex-Prez.

dangerhelvetica
11-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Katana is pronounced "ninja sword".

cortbassist89
11-23-2009, 03:18 PM
But comfterble is so unlike comfortable :(

cortbassist89
11-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Dig that 8bit theme song.

cortbassist89
11-23-2009, 03:20 PM
I say "comfterble" a lot.

Listening to episode 2: You sound not a bit as how I had imagined

Pombar
11-23-2009, 03:26 PM
I want to punch them every time they say "comfterble."This is, in fact, how it is pronounced.

cortbassist89
11-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Dictionary.com says they are both acceptable.

Stupid letters that are just there for show.

I'm looking at you, silent H's!

Tangent. A highschool mate of mine was from Africa, and he pronounced his H's with a hard H. In chemistry he always said hache 2 oh. This surprised me, bc I'd never heard such thing outside of Monty Python.

Calorie Mate
11-23-2009, 03:36 PM
You sound not a bit as how I had imagined

I sound not a bit as how I had imagined, either.

Alixsar
11-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Katana is pronounced "ninja sword".

Good job.

mr_bungle700
11-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Just so you all know, the "r" in "car" is pronounced "ah." This is also true of the "r"s in "bar," "far," "tar" and the like.

Also, "here" and "there" are pronounced "heeyah" and "theyah."

Pombar
11-23-2009, 04:58 PM
I hate the 'over-pronouncing the 'h' sound' thing - especially since it's exclusive to the name of the letter itself (haitch, apparently), and these people then go on to miss out every other 'h' sound ever ('air, 'ere, 'olidays). So basically the one 'h' they do say is the one place it doesn't belong. ARGH COCKNEYS

Stephen
11-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Holy hell you guys.

Octopus Prime
11-23-2009, 07:07 PM
You know? Nobody pronounces it come-for-table. This indignity will not stand, I am making a declaration:

From this point ever forward, the word Comfortable shall be pronounced with every syllable enunciated fully!

So it is said, and so it shall be!

cortbassist89
11-23-2009, 07:15 PM
You know? Nobody pronounces it come-for-table. This indignity will not stand, I am making a declaration:

From this point ever forward, the word Comfortable shall be pronounced with every syllable enunciated fully!

So it is said, and so it shall be!

BROTHERS IN ARMS!

Sanagi
11-25-2009, 01:59 AM
I try to at least get all the consonants in the right order when I say "comfortable."

No one seems to care.

MCBanjoMike
11-25-2009, 07:03 AM
I just listened to episode 4 - I really liked the first bit of Jimm's segment, where you were talking about what he'd be doing up in the AWACS. Props to (I assume) Stephen for the excellent choice of music at the end of the show.

sraymonds
11-25-2009, 07:06 AM
This has entered the "This is retarded" territory.

Kirin
11-25-2009, 08:23 AM
It is, but I'm still boggled by the revelation on the previous page that some people actually bother to pronounce all the syllables in "mayonnaise".

cortbassist89
11-25-2009, 08:33 AM
"mayonaise" is pronounced Miracle Whip, guys

The-Bavis
11-25-2009, 08:45 AM

Dear cortbassist89,

Yuck.

Sincerely,
Mayonnaise Lover

Adrenaline
11-25-2009, 09:38 AM

AND WE WILL NOT

TONE IT DOWN

Matchstick
11-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Props to (I assume) Stephen for the excellent choice of music at the end of the show.

That was me. I also suggested that he drop "Take My Breath Away" underneath at some point, but it was too late.

SilentSnake
11-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Episode 6 is done. Episode 5 should be around tomorrow.

Morbid Coffee
11-28-2009, 01:55 PM
So I had this really great idea where I would gush about Super Metroid for one of the segments in episode 6. Only problem is that I didn't realize I didn't mention it until this morning and now I'm kind of upset.

I need to take notes of things I want to mention beforehand for next time, rather than make it all up on the spot.

Calorie Mate
11-28-2009, 01:56 PM
We should just have a Super Metroid episode.

McClain
11-28-2009, 04:30 PM

For this site? (http://www.gamespite.net/toastywiki/index.php/Games/1-SuperMetroid) No way!

Posaune
11-28-2009, 04:52 PM
Just so you all know, the "r" in "car" is pronounced "ah." This is also true of the "r"s in "bar," "far," "tar" and the like.

Not in America, man.

Because of this, pretty much all Germans the Germans I met and probably most everyone else, think Americans sound like we're talking out of the back of our throats.

Brickroad
11-28-2009, 08:12 PM

My ears perked up!

No really they are perked!

SilentSnake
11-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Well that tears it. I guess we'll have to now.

But not next week. Next week is GameSpite Volume 3.

Sanagi
11-29-2009, 02:13 AM
I have a Super Metroid shirt from the old Nintendo Power catalog! It is in retirement now. It's a great shirt.

(I was trying to find something else to say about Super Metroid)

SilentSnake
11-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Episode 5 is up. (http://castatdemonhead.libsyn.com/)

It's the Cast At Demonhead debut of eirikr! Plus Calorie Mate and MCBanjoMike come back! We discuss the music Thunderdome, Final Fantasy XIII, Strange Journey, and Left 4 Dead 2.

Listen! Now!

Stephen
11-29-2009, 11:41 AM
HEY LOOK! It's Episode 5 on the blog and junk. (http://castatdemonhead.libsyn.com/)

It should be on iTunes (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=340769263) and whatnot soon. Does anyone want a mix of the music featured on today's show? If there's any interest, I'll make it happen.

and Left 4 Dead 2

Errr... maybe not so much. Sorry guys.

SilentSnake
11-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Yeah, that'll teach me to listen to the whole edit. Maybe we'll try another time to discuss it.

Oh, and give some appreciation to Stephen. He worked really hard on this episode and I think he made this one extra special because of it.

Stephen
11-29-2009, 11:55 AM
I just wish I'd had time to edit this image (http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/5479/marasmt2.png) into a proper Cast At Demonhead banner.

Wolfgang
11-29-2009, 12:05 PM
It should be on iTunes (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=340769263) and whatnot soon.

Congrats! You just had your first concern report filed against you.

Nah, not really, but that would be super funny. Especially for some reason like "Not enough Percy".

Calorie Mate
11-29-2009, 12:06 PM
I'm disappointed by the lack of L4D2 (that I participated in) and that I had to step out for a bit and couldn't provide a counter point to loving FF. Ah, well. Guess I'll give it a listen anyway.

DemoWeasel
11-29-2009, 01:07 PM
No LocoRoco :C

Nyarlathotep
11-29-2009, 01:31 PM
I just wish I'd had time to edit this image (http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/5479/marasmt2.png) into a proper Cast At Demonhead banner.

Percy should be riding him.

Octopus Prime
11-29-2009, 01:34 PM
Percy should be riding him.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Percival%20P%20Persimmon/percywink.gif

Hey Boss, I'm touching him inappropriately.

Master-J
11-29-2009, 01:42 PM
Episode 5 is up. (http://castatdemonhead.libsyn.com/)
Whoa. Guess that means I need to start listening to these...

Alixsar
11-29-2009, 07:54 PM
I remember I gave a speech about a band (X Japan, if you must know) in speech class way back in my early college days. I talked for a bit, played a bit of a song, and then started a new song and played it quietly in the background throughout the rest of the speech. My professor marked me off for saying that it was distracting, and that just the sample I played at the beginning would've been enough. I got marked off a full letter grade for playing the song throughout the speech (still got a B though!). I thought it was kind of bullshit at the time.

After listening to Episode Five, I realize that she was right.

R.R. Bigman
11-29-2009, 09:40 PM
I just listened to the latest podcast, and someone kinda referred to me! This must be how George Clooney feels.

Balrog
11-30-2009, 09:03 AM
Episode 5 makes my brain hurt.

sraymonds
11-30-2009, 09:15 AM
I'm glad you took my suggestion and introduced MCBanjoMike as an award-winning musician.

Merus
12-01-2009, 04:20 AM
I am listening to the previous episodes, and I have to be rather rude: in these podcasts, Alixsar really needs a punching. I am sorry, dude, but it's better to just come right out and say it than hold it in and let it colour how I read all your posts.

I suspect this also means I'm not welcome on the podcast, but then that'd be a trainwreck of a podcast anyway so probably for the best.

SilentSnake
12-01-2009, 08:24 AM
I suspect this also means I'm not welcome on the podcast, but then that'd be a trainwreck of a podcast anyway so probably for the best.

You suspect wrong.

Alixsar
12-01-2009, 01:17 PM
I am listening to the previous episodes, and I have to be rather rude: in these podcasts, Alixsar really needs a punching. I am sorry, dude, but it's better to just come right out and say it than hold it in and let it colour how I read all your posts.

Um...okay? I don't really do anything different on the podcast compared to how I act in life/on the forums/in my LPs, so I don't know what the problem is. I'm not even really sure what you're complaining about, since "Alixsar needs a punching" could mean damn well near anything.

Also, yeah I don't think Snake cares. I'm sure you can still be on if you want to.

Calorie Mate
12-01-2009, 01:37 PM
I want to punch him too, but for no real reason. Just 'cuz, you know?

Anyway, I listened to it, and I didn't think the music thing was as bad as you guys made it out to be. It's a little distracting at times, but as long as the song didn't have vocals it was just fine. I daresay it was nice to be reminded of each song without having to pause every time.

Alixsar
12-01-2009, 01:43 PM
I didn't think the music was an issue either, at first. I was following the conversation just fine. Then I had to leave the room for a minute, so I paused the podcast and left. I came back, sat down, and reached to hit play. Then it hit me. I couldn't remember a single thing any of you had said. All I could remember were the bits of music. I went to listen to the rest of it, and I just couldn't. There's a lot of people talking, and then on top of that, there's constant noise in the background. It's just too much. It's not effective. You're asking the listener to divide their attention between multiple sources, and the conversation gets lost in the process. I made it roughly halfway through the episode, but I can't finish it. Like Adam said, it makes my brain hurt.

SilentSnake
12-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Also, yeah I don't think Snake cares. I'm sure you can still be on if you want to.

Yeah, as long as you aren't making a personal attack or anything, Merus, I don't mind.

I am curious what you mean, though.

Stephen
12-01-2009, 03:09 PM
You're asking the listener to divide their attention between multiple sources, and the conversation gets lost in the process. I made it roughly halfway through the episode, but I can't finish it. Like Adam said, it makes my brain hurt.

Episode 5 makes my brain hurt.

You know, I did think that might be an issue... for dimwits.

The game music segment was 30 minutes of mentioning track such-and-such, so I didn't think it'd be a big deal. I'll count it as a failed experiment and try something different next time. For episode 5, just skip to the 32 minute mark where the conversation about Strange Journey and Final Fantasy XIII starts up, there's no music to hurt your poor little brains there.

SilentSnake
12-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Well I liked it.

Anyways, I wanted to do GameSpite Vol. 3 this week, but I think it would be better to wait until next week when more people have it in their hands. I do, however, have something special planned for this week, so don't feel too disappointed.

AJR
12-01-2009, 04:40 PM
I am curious what you mean, though..

I thought that much was obvious. Alixsar is easily the most abrasive guy on the podcast. When Iím listening to a podcast and someone starts saying something that I know isnít true, and I canít intervene, and nobody else is calling them out on it, thatís always a little frustrating for me. Itís the same reason why I always struggled to listen to podcasts with Shane Bettenhausen on them, even though I found him entertaining.

Alixsar
12-01-2009, 04:52 PM
You know, I did think that might be an issue... for dimwits.

The game music segment was 30 minutes of mentioning track such-and-such, so I didn't think it'd be a big deal. I'll count it as a failed experiment and try something different next time. For episode 5, just skip to the 32 minute mark where the conversation about Strange Journey and Final Fantasy XIII starts up, there's no music to hurt your poor little brains there.

:(

Also, I don't think it's that Adam and I are stupid so much that it's cluttered. It gets in the way of the conversation, which is what I want to hear.

I thought that much was obvious. Alixsar is easily the most abrasive guy on the podcast. When Iím listening to a podcast and someone starts saying something that I know isnít true, and I canít intervene, and nobody else is calling them out on it, thatís always a little frustrating for me. Itís the same reason why I always struggled to listen to podcasts with Shane Bettenhausen on them, even though I found him entertaining.

:( :(

Also, out of curiosity, what did I say that wasn't true? Everything I say is 100% fact at all times.

Adrenaline
12-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Your character voices are pretty obnoxious - this is obviously intentional, but maybe a bit too effective.

Stephen
12-01-2009, 05:33 PM
I, for one, am thankful that Alixsar is a little abrasive--otherwise the show would be a tea party.

Also, I don't think it's that Adam and I are stupid so much that it's cluttered.

It's too bad he and his girlfriend Adam are so damn stupid.

Merus
12-01-2009, 07:37 PM
Pretty much what AJR says, Alixsar's abrasive but he isn't amusing to listen to like John C. Dvorak or someone like that. The problem seems to be that Alixsar declares his opinions without ever going into detail, which means he's got annoying opinions but we're never forced to accept that he's got a point. We (or at least I) just end up pushing my fists into my eyes and saying, "Ugh! SO WRONG" and contrary to the Internet's expectations that isn't actually the best way to build an audience.

Of course, a tea party is hardly worth listening to either. So it is A Pickle.

Pajaro Pete
12-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Look Alixsar, I'm not trying to insult you or anything, but anytime I hear your voice I just want to punch you in your fucking face stupid jaw.

Stephen
12-01-2009, 07:49 PM
and contrary to the Internet's expectations that isn't actually the best way to build an audience.

Good job for us we're only doing this to amuse ourselves! Seriously though, what exactly has he said that drives you so crazy? At some point you need to come on and try to explain to Alixsar why he's wrong. Entertainment will ensue, if nothing else.

Also, before this whole thread turns rotten, I just thought I'd toss out there that, as the dude who spends more time than anyone else listening to this podcast, everyone we've had so far has done a fucking fantastic job. Considering the experience level (a big fat zero for all involved) and limitations (Skype is an amazing piece of software, but it's not a good way to do a show with more than 2 people), the show is better than it has any right to be.

SilentSnake
12-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Also, before this whole thread turns rotten, I just thought I'd toss out there that, as the dude who spends more time than anyone else listening to this podcast, everyone we've had so far has done a fucking fantastic job. Considering the experience level (a big fat zero for all involved) and limitations (Skype is an amazing piece of software, but it's not a good way to do a show with more than 2 people), the show is better than it has any right to be.

Yeah this. Regardless of what everyone's preferences are, everyone who has been on has done a heck of a job given the lack of experience. I'm really happy with the product that has been put out, and at the end of the day it's the personalities that make the show.

And as for Alixsar: Like it or not, he's put his whole personality out there for all the world to hear and that's all I can ask of him. I'm not going to have him on every show, but at the end of the day all I ask of anyone on the show is for them to be themselves. I'm not going to ask anyone to fake it.

Morbid Coffee
12-01-2009, 08:10 PM
I like the podcast

Episode 4 was the best.

AJR
12-01-2009, 08:50 PM
It was Alixsar that bitched about the stealth sections in Arkham Asylum, right? I'll have to listen to that section again, but the whole complaint about how you can just swoop down and knock out the henchmen one by one, even after they become aware of your presence, was something that the game actually addresses early on. After a while enemies start grouping together, which makes it hard to take out enemies that way without alerting the other members of the group. I know I died a bunch of times because I stuffed something up and couldn't grapple away in time. The complaints made sense for someone who'd only played early portions of the game, but since other people on the podcast had played a lot more of it, I was surprised nobody else spoke up.

I know there have been other things, but that's just something that sort of stuck out for me. I guess I don't find the nerd voice particularly funny either.

And seriously guys, I think the podcast is great. I don't even mind Alixsar most of the time. It's just that sometimes things are said that aren't backed up very well and it's just a little frustrating to listen to. It's a problem I have with quite a few podcasts.

Balrog
12-01-2009, 08:53 PM
If it's any consolation, it sounds better now that I listen to it on my computer (with decent headphones) as opposed to listening to it on my iPod (with crappy earbuds).

Don't hate me, Meat!

Lucas
12-01-2009, 09:02 PM
I liked the music, Meat.

Stephen
12-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks man, I appreciate that. It was just a weird experiment--I knew that some people wouldn't like it and I'm comfortable with that. To that anyone doesn't like the first half: Skip to the second. Erikir has a lot of really interesting stuff to say about SMT: Strange Journey and I'd hate for people to miss out.

Don't hate me, Meat!

Don't worry, I still love 'ya Nancy.

Merus
12-01-2009, 11:28 PM
It was Alixsar that bitched about the stealth sections in Arkham Asylum, right? I'll have to listen to that section again, but the whole complaint about how you can just swoop down and knock out the henchmen one by one, even after they become aware of your presence, was something that the game actually addresses early on. After a while enemies start grouping together, which makes it hard to take out enemies that way without alerting the other members of the group. I know I died a bunch of times because I stuffed something up and couldn't grapple away in time. The complaints made sense for someone who'd only played early portions of the game, but since other people on the podcast had played a lot more of it, I was surprised nobody else spoke up.

Yeah, that was one of the ones I noticed.

Don't let my bitching about Alixsar take away from the enthusiasm of the podcast - they're really hard to get right, and you've done a pretty good job all things considered.

MCBanjoMike
12-02-2009, 05:49 AM
I don't even mind Alixsar most of the time. It's just that sometimes things are said that aren't backed up very well and it's just a little frustrating to listen to. It's a problem I have with quite a few podcasts.

Honestly, I think this is a problem that we all have on the podcast - we're more likely to make a short declaration about a game than we are to really dig in and explain where we are coming from. I'd like to say that it's due to our relative lack of experience, plus the difficulties of having a four (or five) way conversation over Skype, but I think it's something we all need to improve on to varying extents.

As for Alixsar's personality in particular, anyone who has ever been in an Xbox Live party can tell you that that's just the way he is. I, for one, am glad that there's someone in the mix tossing around a bit more aggression, since by and large we're all a bunch of mellow nerds talking about games. I've never been on the show at the same time as Alix, but I've always felt that he added a bit of color to the ones that I've listened to that feature him.

Even if he is totally wrong sometimes.