PDA

View Full Version : The Non-Superhero Comic Book Thread

teg
11-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Although it's kind of redundant to have three different active threads about comic books, the "What comics Did you Buy This Week?" thread, to me, has always kind of read more like a dedicated superhero comic thread. That's all well and good, but it's a shame to see all of the great non-superhero reads in there get ignored. That's why I made this thread!
If this is universally considered a bad idea or if it leads to bad things, I am totally okay with this thread being deleted.1) Be lenient but reasonable. A superhero comic that bends the rules significantly or isn't going to get much talk in the other thread is okay. Think of where you would place the series on a scale of Batman versus Zot.

2) This is not a superhero hatedom thread. I'm not making this thread as a way of saying superhero comics suck or the comics I read are great. It's just a discussion station for comics that otherwise wouldn't get touched upon much.

3) Manga is fine, but keep the same rules in mind as you would with the superhero guidelines. We've already gushed at length about how much everyone here loves Yotsuba&! in the dedicated manga thread.Let's begin!

So right now I have seventy dollars left on a prepaid credit card and I'm thinking of picking up some comics through amazon to use it up. I either want to get the first of those massive two-book Peanuts sets ($60+S&H) or an amalgamation of smaller books.
I plan on getting a complete set of Peanuts at some point (I like high-quality collected sets. I did the same thing with Calvin and Hobbes, Tintin, etc), but the price tag is just too high and it would easily be the most I've ever spent for a comic book set (current record: almost $400 for Astro Boy).

As for the amalgamation, I've got a few things in my head I'd like. Junko Mizuno's work looks right up my alley. I've heard good things about the Courtney Crumrin series, too. I'm looking for something fun that I can sink my teeth into.

Also: This needs to hurry up and get a release (http://www.amazon.ca/Copper-Kazu-Kibuishi/dp/0545098920/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257903826&sr=8-12). Kazu Kibuishi's work is universally spectacular, and I wish he could write more than one book a year. Amulet is basically the new Bone.

Octopus Prime
11-10-2009, 07:35 PM
How is Rasl?

Or is the fact that it's by Jeff Smith all the information I need?

teg
11-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Slow!

Seriously, though, I've only read the first trade, but it's interesting even if it is incredibly plodding. It's nice to see a science fiction series where the balance between "science" and "fiction" is almost perfectly even.
His backgrounds have gotten sparser since Bone, though.

AJR
11-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Yeah, I can dig this thread. I don't read many superhero comics, so I thread specifically for non superhero stuff is cool by me.

I've spent the past few months roaming the internet in search of the two Freddy Lombard books that DC released a few years back. I brought the second book a few weeks back (a guy on ebay set the bidding price on all his books at $1 and I was the only bidder) and I'm still looking for the second.

Next up will probably be Paul Pope's Heavy Liquid.

How is Rasl?

Or is the fact that it's by Jeff Smith all the information I need?

I like RASL quite a bit. I've only read the first three issues though (I'm waiting till the next few are released in another oversized trade). I think this is the first time Jeff Smith has done a comic specifically for adults, and it kind of reads like that too. But I love Smith's artwork so much and it's got some really cool ideas.

Badinage
11-10-2009, 08:49 PM
I imagine that Rasl will seem less plodding when it's finished, collected and can be read at a less slow pace. I got the first trade and the next few issues. I'm sure I'll reread the whole thing when it's done.

Merus
11-10-2009, 08:55 PM
I think it's time to anoint this thread with some Scott Pilgrim talk.

Apparently the script's done for the final volume, and we'll find out the title and release date in December.

teg
11-10-2009, 09:01 PM
I imagine that Rasl will seem less plodding when it's finished, collected and can be read at a less slow pace. I got the first trade and the next few issues. I'm sure I'll reread the whole thing when it's done.My big issue is that everyone, myself included, wants to do this. I really hope Smith decides to keep going until the end even though a huge portion of his audience are already waiting for trade, which could be a long wait given his track record.

So apparently Disney is rereleasing all of the old Carl Barks comics in trade form. This is good! But each trade is fairly short. This is bad!
Really I just wish Disney would release "THE BIG DAMN BOOK OF SCROOGE MCDUCK" and let me write them a check for my life's savings.

Has anyone here ever done business with heavyink.com (www.heavyink.com)? They seem like a dream come true for me, but I don't know if they actually deliver on everything they promise.

Badinage
11-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Just as I post about it in the other comics thread!

But I didn't know that we'd be getting information about the final book in December. Color me happy.

Cyrael
11-10-2009, 09:30 PM
I don't read comics or graphic novels, as a general rule. Not really out of spite or anything... I just haven't ever really 'got' them. Looking at my bookshelf, the only two I have are Mouse Guard and Watchmen.

However, my love for Dark Tower has had me eyeing the sets that Marvel keeps putting out.
What is the general idea on them? Good? Bad? Tolerable?

Dhroo
11-10-2009, 09:31 PM
This thread is kind of timely for me, because new volume of B.P.R.D.!

I like the part where the monk guy is all "raaaar, kung fu" and Abe is all like, "man, fuck that" and throws his ass to the ground. I think the series in general needs more reminders that Abe is actually kind of badass.

McClain
11-10-2009, 09:34 PM
I don't read comics or graphic novels, as a general rule. Not really out of spite or anything... I just haven't ever really 'got' them. Looking at my bookshelf, the only two I have are Mouse Guard and Watchmen.

However, my love for Dark Tower has had me eyeing the sets that Marvel keeps putting out.
What is the general idea on them? Good? Bad? Tolerable?

I'm not really a big comic reader either, but I just finished the first Dark Tower trade, and I thought it was awesome.

The story is being retold chronologically, so it starts with Roland as a kid becoming a gunslinger (following Wizards and Glass). The art is really dramatic and I like the writing. If you like the Dark Tower books and Watchmen, I think you'd love the DT comic.

nunix
11-10-2009, 09:38 PM
I really liked the first Mouse Guard collection. The second was something like a year behind schedule, and while it had some good moments, mostly felt like a transition story, setting up for future stuff, and too much of that transition was boring. Between the long delay and the meh-ness I kinda doubt I'll look into any further collection of the series or the author.

Sven
11-10-2009, 10:23 PM
... yeah, because it's not like the most recent discussion in the comics thread is about Y or anything....

Wolfgang
11-10-2009, 11:04 PM
... yeah, because it's not like the most recent discussion in the comics thread is about Y or anything....

This is going to either turn back into superheroes or go to manga within three pages anyway. Or an angry political/religious argument.

Evil Dead Junkie
11-10-2009, 11:07 PM
This is going to either turn back into superheroes or go to manga within three pages anyway. Or an angry political/religious argument.

Its the circle of life here at Talking Time.

Kirin
11-11-2009, 08:41 AM
I can dig this thread nonetheless. Onward!

As for the amalgamation, I've got a few things in my head I'd like. Junko Mizuno's work looks right up my alley. I've heard good things about the Courtney Crumrin series, too. I'm looking for something fun that I can sink my teeth into.

Courtney Crumrin is good stuff, along with other stuff Ted Naifeh's done (Polly and the Pirates mainly, though if you want a look at a completely different kind of story from him check out the one-shot How Loathesome which delves into transgender issues among other things).

Kazu Kibuishi's work is universally spectacular, and I wish he could write more than one book a year. Amulet is basically the new Bone.

How's Amulet going? I picked up the first volume and it was nice enough, but I wasn't sure how I felt about it beyond "standard kids-get-sucked-into-fantasy-world plot with decent art". Has it developed anything to set it apart?

Also I assume if you're into Kazu you've been picking up the various Flight collections.

teg
11-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Amulet volume two is a lot better than the first. I debated over picking it up since I found the first one enjoyable but largely forgettable, but it's really picked up since. I'm not really sure if there's anything that sets it apart, but the characters are gradually becoming more complex.
And yeah, I've got all of the Flight books. I was actually dissapointed with the sixth, but that might just be because the fifth is about as close to perfect as you can get.

Sanagi
11-12-2009, 03:04 AM
My local library has been getting Absolute Sandman volumes... NERDGASM. If I hadn't spent so much money on that series on the first place I would find an excuse to buy these books because they're fantastic.

I also recently finished reading Akira all the way through in one go for the first time. The story's much more clear than in the movie, but it also takes a lot longer to get to the point. And I get tired of those characters pretty easily.

teg
11-12-2009, 11:51 AM
I have those Absolute Sandman books! I got them at a rate of approximately one per year by asking for them as gifts. The extra content at the back is usually pretty fascinating. Also, you could probably kill someone with them.

My amazon money has been boosted up to ninety dollars because an amazon seller offered me a full refund for my damaged product. Very nice of them!

Still trying to figure out what I should buy. I feel like reading something cute or surreal.

liquid
11-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Have you ever read Frank? (http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Frank-Jim-Woodring/dp/156097978X/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258053137&sr=1-5)

Reinforcements
11-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Ooh, I hadn't realized that Amulet vol. 2 was out. I need to get me some o that!

Speaking of Scrooge McDuck, they REALLY need to reprint The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. That business is impossible to find for a reasonable price.

MCBanjoMike
11-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Amulet volume two is a lot better than the first. I debated over picking it up since I found the first one enjoyable but largely forgettable, but it's really picked up since. I'm not really sure if there's anything that sets it apart, but the characters are gradually becoming more complex.
And yeah, I've got all of the Flight books. I was actually dissapointed with the sixth, but that might just be because the fifth is about as close to perfect as you can get.

Interesting to hear what you think about Amulet Vol. 2. I used to be a huge Kazu fan (really huge, as in I commissioned him to do my album cover (http://timike.com/music.html)), and through the first volumes of Flight and Daisy Kutter I bought everything he produced as soon as it came out. Recently, though, I haven't been enjoying his stuff as much. The later Copper comics I've found more preachy than fun and Flight is kinda hit-and-miss for me these days (although I did love some of the stories in Vol. 4, especially the awesome hat monsters). When I got to Amulet Vol. 1, though, it was a real letdown. The pacing seemed completely off to me, like he had spent so much time working on it that the story played out differently in his head than it does on the page. My girlfriend and I agreed that it was his weakest work to date and I had basically decided to forget about that series and just follow the rest of his output. Now you have me wondering if I should go back to it and give it another chance?

Thanks for pointing me to that Copper collection, though. That's something I will snatch up as soon as possible!

Chu
11-13-2009, 03:35 AM
I was a little curious about Amulet, but in the end never got around to buying it. You guys HAVE reminded me about Flight, though. Even if some volumes are significantly better than others (3 and 5 really stand out in my mind), there's always something worthwhile in terms of art, story, or both in each volume. I wish I could be good enough to participate in Flight. :(

Speaking of Scrooge McDuck, they REALLY need to reprint The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. That business is impossible to find for a reasonable price.

My friend let me borrow that awhile ago and I loved it. I could have sworn it was still being sold at a reasonable price the last time I checked, but a quick search on Amazon proved me wrong. So yeah, I agree. So hard.

Umm as for my own recommendations on this thread, I gotta say that I really love Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics, Reinventing Comics, and Making Comics trilogy. The last one is like my bible; it has all sorts of good suggestions without being too overbearing about what you can and can't do in making comics. It's a very encouraging piece of work, and I suggest that everyone give it a read, even if you only like reading comics versus creating them.

Also, Usagi Yojimbo is great. I think the art may put a lot of people off (plus furries lolololol), but beyond that Usagi Yojimbo provides a lot of great stories and great characters. I wouldn't read it if you're looking for something with a strong overarching plot that will soon conclude, but it's still quality material. Thanks to one of my friends from college, I was able to read all but the first three volumes this year (or was it last year?). Whenever I move back to the states and get my own place, I plan to buy the whole collection for myself.

teg
11-13-2009, 07:07 AM
Now you have me wondering if I should go back to it and give it another chance?I think the reason why Amulet is starting off so slow is that he intends to run it for as long as he can. I'm guessing he wants to make character development more gradual so as to seem more natural.
What I particularly liked about volume two is that one of the villains is getting a Zuko treatment and the the heroine is kind of looking like she'll inevitably become a villain against her will. It's not particulalry original, but I like the way Kibuishi's pulling it off.
Also, I found the first one to be a lot better upon reading it a second time. Don't know why.Have you ever read Frank? (http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Frank-Jim-Woodring/dp/156097978X/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258053137&sr=1-5)No I have not! Good suggestion!Speaking of Scrooge McDuck, they REALLY need to reprint The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. That business is impossible to find for a reasonable price.I was supposed to get this as a birthday gift last year, because the book store ordered it without knowing it had been out-of-print for years. After a few months I did some searching and found out the sad truth.
I found a torrent of a digital copy, which I'm slowly working through.

Does anyone know if Ojingogo is any good?

Kirin
11-13-2009, 08:26 AM
I have those Absolute Sandman books! I got them at a rate of approximately one per year by asking for them as gifts. The extra content at the back is usually pretty fascinating. Also, you could probably kill someone with them.

I am experiencing Absolute Sandman envy.

Patrick
11-13-2009, 10:51 AM
I thought Ojingogo was a neat webcomic years ago, but I haven't kept up with it.

I love Usagi Yojimbo! I have the first two issues, then a huge block of later issues (I think up to Grasscutter 2 or so). There's so much neat Japanese mythology in them.

Evil Dead Junkie
11-13-2009, 01:23 PM
So why aren't you reading Locke & Key?

liquid
11-13-2009, 03:31 PM
So, do any of you know if the post-Kings of the Broken Wheel books of ElfQuest are any good?

teg
11-14-2009, 09:45 AM
Right now I'm trying to finish Quimby The Mouse (http://www.amazon.com/Quimby-Mouse-ACME-Novelty-Library/dp/1560974850). I bought it years ago, but I only go through it a few pages at a time. It's incredibly huge and unbelievably depressing. I never know where to put it.I thought Ojingogo was a neat webcomic years ago, but I haven't kept up with it.I totally forgot that it was a webcomic.
*read read read*
Now that I've read some of it, I'm not sure if I'll get the book. There's not much posted on the website now, but it seems a little insubstantial.

Putting together my amazon order now. Thus far I've got Black Jack volume 8, To Terra volumes 2 and 3, and two Junko Mizuno books. I can add another ten dollars or so. What's really cheap?

R.R. Bigman
11-15-2009, 01:41 PM
On Friday night I read The Walking Dead Volume 8: Made To Suffer, and I still feel depressed. Why would Robert Kirkman write these things? The part at the end where Lori and her baby are killed was so cruel and pointless, even the woman who shot them broke down and turned on the Governer. And earlier, seeing Tyreese getting his head clumsily hacked off by the Governer while everyone in the prison just watched... fuck! This series is is getting harder and harder to read, and according to a review on Fresh Ink, it never gets any easier. Does anyone else read The Walking Dead? What are your reactions after reading it?

teekun
11-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Does anyone else read The Walking Dead? What are your reactions after reading it?

That issue in particularly left me feeling pretty horrible, but it goes a bit easier on the cast after that. There have still been some pretty horrible occurrences, but nothing on part with what you just read.

Evil Dead Junkie
11-15-2009, 09:46 PM
I disagree, its stayed on a plateu of awful things happening.

I find it kind of fascinating, but no it never gets easier.

It's funny there was a shot of the group smiling a couple of issues ago, and I said to myself as a joke "Oh fuck something awful is going to happen." I turn the page, and I was wrong, it was two awful things.

teekun
11-15-2009, 10:41 PM
To be fair, the last arc was about some awful things happening, but the majority of them weren't actually to the protagonists, so I felt better about them.

Also, for a zombie comic, there sure as hell haven't been many zombies in the past six months.

R.R. Bigman
11-15-2009, 11:22 PM
It seems that the zombies are mostly rotting window dressing for the main story, which is people turn into fuckin' monsters if you take away their safe, comfortable way of life.

teekun
11-16-2009, 04:49 PM
It seems that the zombies are mostly rotting window dressing for the main story, which is people turn into fuckin' monsters if you take away their safe, comfortable way of life.

The idea of the life that these people are living is in any way safe or comfortable is pretty laughable. But yeah, I totally agree on it being more about people turning into monsters than the monsters themselves.

JDS
11-16-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm going to interrupt the tide of Robert Kirkman discussion to talk up my favorite book, Stray Bullets. Stray Bullets is a crime/drama book started in the mid-90's by David Lapham (Young Liars, Silverfish, Murder Me Dead, a bunch of Big Two stuff I'll never read). It revolves around a cast of characters involved in a Baltimore crime scene, the perspective always subject to change but usually tied to the adventures of a schoolgirl runaway, Ginny, who connects with a group of fugitives in a cross-country flight from said Baltimore criminal elements. The best comparison would be a comic version of Sopranos, its sordid premise being a window to comment on all walks of society, the darkness of its world buoyed by humorous vignette and the sheer humanity of its characters. Lapham refuses to sentimentalize at the expense of story; everyone in the comic is fair game for life-shattering events, no matter how likable or innocent. You will be horrified as often as your hopes are vindicated, and never disappointed. It's a thriller of the highest caliber, its twists always shocking but never at the expense of belief.

Stray Bullets ceased publication in 2005 at #40, ending at a cliffhanger. Lapham promises to restart it as soon as possible, but in the meantime the series has be printed in two confusing and rare editions of TPBs. My blunt advice is to acquire it by other means and support the hell out of it whenever the new editions come out, or when the series starts up again.

AJR
11-16-2009, 06:46 PM
I enjoyed Young Liars enough that I'd definitely buy the Stray Bullets trades if I ever saw them in stores.

JDS
11-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Me too! Stray Bullets is like Young Liars with more character and less esoterica.

Evil Dead Junkie
11-16-2009, 08:49 PM
I was referring to Carl executing the last surviving twin.

R.R. Bigman
11-17-2009, 08:26 AM
In Walking Dead, is there ever any explanation for the zombies? It doesn't seem to follow the more recent "realistic" approach of zombie media in that zombie's are infected with a kind of virus. Also the fact that being bitten doesn't turn you into a zombie, it just kills you. The act of dying itself, no matter the cause, is what tranforms you, which was a pretty cool twist in my opinion.

teekun
11-17-2009, 06:11 PM
I believe Kirkman has said repeatedly that he has no plans to reveal what caused the outbreak in the near future. But he does apparently have an explanation for it in his own head.

onimaruxlr
11-17-2009, 06:57 PM
I figure I might as well bitch about this in this thread

So, I love superheroes to death, but I can't deny they've had a negative impact on the development of comic books in America (or perhaps it'd be more accurate to say the psuedo-psychological overprotective parent bullshit of the comics code era is responsible for pushing everything BUT superheroes out of the limelight?)

I mean I love comic books, but the fact that I've kind of had enough of superheroes in spite loving them says a lot. To top matters off there definitely seems to be hella genre bias. To me it seems like there's basically three not-superhero American comic books

1) Crime fiction & Espionage, which are frequently good
2) Stupid self indulgent pretentious melodramatic unfunny semi-biographical nerd shit that so frequently dips into the realm of writer self insertion fantasy oh God I hate it so much
3) Terrible fantasy & Scifi
4) Porn, from PG-13, to softcore

It's REALLY frustrating to me. My favorite three manga are a fucked up dark fantasy story, a slice of life book, and a sports comic. My three favorite American books are all superhero stuff. Maybe I just have a mainstream sensibility, and in spite of their inherent corniness, superhero books are produced with the most mainstream (next to crime and espionage) sensibility in mind?

Evil Dead Junkie
11-17-2009, 07:07 PM
Yeah, but there's always the good stuff from those genres. (Well maybe not the last one)

For every terrible Sci Fi or Fantasy there's a Locke and Key and a Walking Dead (You need some Locke and Key), Criminal is still the best book on the stands, and even stupid semi autobiographical slice of life stuff yields a mutant Scott Pilgrim or a Squee every now and then.

onimaruxlr
11-17-2009, 07:17 PM
Squee is semi-autiobiographical!?!?!

....that'd explain a lot actually....

R.R. Bigman
11-17-2009, 07:32 PM
I saw a review of Locke and Key and it looked pretty neat. Can you give me a brief summary of the premise?

AJR
11-17-2009, 07:36 PM
What would you classify I Kill Giants as?

What about Young Liars, Asterios Polyp or King City?

Jeanie
11-17-2009, 08:17 PM
Yeah, but there's always the good stuff from those genres. (Well maybe not the last one)

Go read Small Favors by Colleen Coover.

Evil Dead Junkie
11-17-2009, 08:39 PM
I saw a review of Locke and Key and it looked pretty neat. Can you give me a brief summary of the premise?

It's like The Royal Tenenbaums are staring in The Haunting by the writers of Lost.

Basically its about a family that moves into the Father's ancestral home in the wake of a tragedy. The house has several doors and keys all of which do different things. There's a door that if you unlock it with a certain key you'll come out the other side as a ghost, another that'll let you open up your head and take in or pull out whatever you want.

There's a dark force that's looking for the keys, and it's all tied up in the Father's past... It's basically really great.

Here's some more detailed ramblings I happened to post today. (http://thingthatdontsuck.blogspot.com/2009/11/locke-key-and-other-things-that-are.html)

Evil Dead Junkie
11-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Squee is semi-autiobiographical!?!?!

....that'd explain a lot actually....

A very subjective Autobiography but one none the less.

Asterios Polyp

I want to just stare at that book and go "huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhh" I haven't been able to shake the last panel, even if I still have no idea what it all means.

Also is anyone here reading Scalped? Because Scalped is awesome. Take The Sopranos and set it on an Indian Reservation.

teg
11-17-2009, 09:58 PM
comics stinkList off what you've liked and what you've hated and I'll see what I can do for recommendations. It looks like you like action/thriller stuff in general. I haven't read a lot into that pool of work, but I must have something somewhere.

I think that the reason why your experiences seem to have been overall negative isn't so much because superhero comics edge toward "mainstream", but because even though there's a pretty wide variety of other work out there, a lot of it falls by the wayside because the comparitively limited shelf space that comics (and especially non-superhero comics) get has to be budgeted largely for "sure-fire hits".
In example: Maus is a very popular holocaust story, but I don't like it nearly as much as the rest of the world seems to*. There are other similarly-themed comics out there that I'd probably like more, but if my local bookstore only has enough room for one, it's going to Maus.

*No disrespect intended, Mausketeers. I liked it enough, but I'd never read it again.

liquid
11-17-2009, 10:42 PM
t onimaruxlr: Read Love & Rockets.

yesssssss

AJR
11-18-2009, 01:53 AM
I've been meaning to read Small Favours for a while.

onimaruxlr
11-18-2009, 02:32 AM

That...that was by the lady who draws the cute little Marvel back-ups with Jean and Wanda ;_;

Merus
11-18-2009, 03:51 AM
Isn't Small Favors that apparently quite good lesbian sex comic?

Jeanie
11-18-2009, 01:25 PM
That...that was by the lady who draws the cute little Marvel back-ups with Jean and Wanda ;_;

Isn't Small Favors that apparently quite good lesbian sex comic?

Yes to both questions.

onimaruxlr
11-19-2009, 12:31 AM
So I read Small Favors and I'm a bit at a loss as to why it's supposed to be good. I mean it's not bad (unless you hate porn...or like hate weird stuff...or like, hate weird porn) but it was light and fluffy to the point of being insubstantial. I've read better porn before, quite frankly.

However, the Joe Kelly/whatsisrface backup story to the latest Spider-Man has got me hungrier than ever to read I Kill Giants. ...kinda wish it was in color though. Not out of any bias against B&W comics (JUST LIKE MY JAPANESE MANGAS) but because that dude's art, when colored appropriately, has a severe upgrade in adorableness.

Nyarlathotep
11-19-2009, 12:58 AM
Blankets kicks ass (category 2 on the Onimaruxlr scale).

AJR
11-19-2009, 02:07 AM
I Kill Giants starts to get pretty dark towards the end, so I think it actually works well without color.

Blankets kicks ass (category 2 on the Onimaruxlr scale).

I read that a few months ago. Itís as beautiful as it is depressing. Itís one of my favorites though.

teg
11-19-2009, 07:48 AM
Is there a trade paperback of I Kill Giants yet? I want to read it but I'd sooner have it all in one, you know?

AJR
11-19-2009, 07:54 AM
Yep. That's how I read it.

Kirin
11-19-2009, 07:56 AM
I keep hearing good things about this I Kill Giants book. I guess if it's TPB now I'll start keeping an eye out for it.

Evil Dead Junkie
11-19-2009, 12:06 PM
I keep hearing good things about this I Kill Giants book. I guess if it's TPB now I'll start keeping an eye out for it.

It's rilly good.

Evil Dead Junkie
11-19-2009, 12:10 PM

:0 Dammmmnnnnnn!

liquid
11-19-2009, 03:12 PM
So I read Small Favors and I'm a bit at a loss as to why it's supposed to be good. I mean it's not bad (unless you hate porn...or like hate weird stuff...or like, hate weird porn) but it was light and fluffy to the point of being insubstantial. I've read better porn before, quite frankly.
It's not so much that Small Favors is well written (although it is not poorly written, which is more than you can say of most pornography), it's that Colleen Coover draws very attractive art. It's also far more woman-friendly than most porn comics.

teekun
11-19-2009, 04:27 PM

It's fantastic, just don't read anything about it before you actually read it.

R.R. Bigman
11-19-2009, 09:48 PM
Is I Kill Giants out in Trade Paperback?

Yes, I am too lazy to read the previous posts.

teg
11-27-2009, 07:37 AM
So I made my amazon order!
I got: Junko Mizuno's Cinderella, Black Jack volume 8, and To Terra volume 2.
I had to take off Pure Trance, because after shipping taxes and everything, I was less than a dollar over the remaining funds on my prepaid credit card. So now I guess I'll have to buy a new one!

Will review when they come in.

JDS
12-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Hey, they guy from Stray Bullets put the first four issues up for your perusal. (http://www.innocenceofnihilism.com/SBFREEREAD.html) jump on it!

teg
12-04-2009, 06:59 AM
So I made my amazon order!
I got: Junko Mizuno's Cinderella, Black Jack volume 8, and To Terra volume 2.
I had to take off Pure Trance, because after shipping taxes and everything, I was less than a dollar over the remaining funds on my prepaid credit card. So now I guess I'll have to buy a new one!

Will review when they come in.OOPS. I think I reviewed these elsewhere.

Black Jack volume 8 isn't my favourite volume, but it's the first one where I noticed a theme. In this case, the theme is that the stories are never told in straight chronological order, they're always interrupted by flashbacks, cold opens, dream sequences, etcetera. I'm re-reading the other volumes backwards now, and I think the other volumes might have themes that I never caught on about. Volume 7, for example, is about money and payment.

Cinderella is gorgeous. It doesn't make much sense until you stop acting like the story has to be complicated. It's realy bizarre and hard to follow until you start thinking of it not as its own entity, but as a retelling of a sstory that you already know. After that, it's really fun. The art, writing, and translation go hand-in-hand perfectly.

Red Hedgehog
12-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Cross-posting because we have three different drawn art book threads:

Recommend to me things I should get at the local comic book store's 20% off everything sale. (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=620770&postcount=1601)

Peach
12-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Is Star Wars: Dark Empire any good? The 2000 AD-style art looks gorgeous, but some of the plot points sound downright embarrassing.

teg
12-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Cross-posting because we have three different drawn art book threads:

Recommend to me things I should get at the local comic book store's 20% off everything sale. (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=620770&postcount=1601)Assume you have nothing, eh?

Uhhh...

-Big sales are a good time for massive collections. Even if something wouldn't normally go on sale, ask friendly staff about an expensive item. I got a fifty dollars off a complete Tintin set just by being the only person to show interest in such an expensive item.
-browse clearance items. I barely ever find anything on clearance, but everything my friends and I have ever dug up has been worth it.
-Sales are a really good time to grab single-volume works that you otherwise might not spend time on.

Eastern front:
-Osamu Tezuka (Black Jack, Phoenix, and Buddha are probably his best long-form works. Ode To Kirihito is probably his best single-volume work)
-In fact, Vertical's publishing history to this point has basically been pure gold
-Yotsuba&!'s new translations really aren't that bad and at least stores actually have it now
-Yoshihiro Tatsumi's work is pretty great but doesn't seem to get much recognition around here. I've only read Good-Bye, but I hear A Drifting Life is brilliant
-Sexy Voice and Robo, Tekkon Kinkreet, and Solanin are one-volume wonders, but wonderful nonetheless

Western Front
-Svetlana Chmakova is the only person I know of right now who makes a manga style work. Nightschool and Dramacon are both top-notch series that I wouldn't have been caught dead reading years ago
-Scott Pilgrim is, as always, a must. If you already have it, Lost at Sea (Mal's early work) is pretty fantastic in a familiar but completely different way
-King City is swell and maybe Tokyopop would publish the rest if anyone bought it over here
-it is a good time for reprints. For instance, Disney is reprinting all of the old Carl Barks' Scrooge McDuck comics right now. This is a very good thing
-Kazu Kibuishi's work is pretty keen all around. The Flight volumes are just the tip of the iceberg (personally I'm a huge fan of Daisy Kutter)
-the black and white Zot collection is still the best superhero comic I own

Aquadeo
12-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Aye, Blankets is wonderful. I also loved his previous work, Goodbye Chunky Rice. And I know I'm not the only person here who thinks so. (Does anyone know what the next Craig Thompson project is?)

A friend of mine turned me on to Queen And Country last month... wow. If only all international espionage stories were that good. The funny thing, though, is that now that I'm familiar with the name, it's like I woke up and realised that Greg Rucka writes an insane volume of work! So, I picked up Whiteout, too. Not as action-packed, but better-developed characters... and I love, love, love the Antarctic setting. I'd talk about how it's the best Antarctic-themed comic that doesn't feature killer penguins, but this isn't the thread for that. : )
And now, a question. Has anyone read "Killer" by Matz and Luc Jacamon? I perused Issue #1, and it's a well-told and well-drawn story... but I'm not yet sure if it's worth seeing to its bitter end.

AJR
12-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Man, I'm almost finished with the first volume of Queen and Country myself. It's good stuff. And I love Blankets enough that I'll probably track down Goodbye Chucky Rice at some stage.

And cheers for that link JDS. I'll probably read through them sometime this week.

wahoninja
12-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Been rereading Fraction/Ba's delirious sci-fi espionage fever dream, Casanova: Luxuria. I read it a few months ago for the first time and liked it fine, but this second readthrough is clicking hard for some reason. I'm quite taken with how well each issue juggles dozens of concepts at a time while A) keeping the action going and B)completing a story. Casanova is high concept stuff without being pretentious, and you can just tell Fraction and Ba had an absolute blast making it. I've been enjoying Fraction's Iron Man and X-Men stuff, but I can't wait to read more Casanova.

teekun
12-08-2009, 04:33 PM
I was looking for a copy of Cassanova yesterday but the shop I was in didn't have any. :(

Chu
12-09-2009, 02:13 AM
While the story is still interesting in the continuation of Gargoyles in Slave Labor Graphics-produced comic form, most of the issues have pretty bad art. :(

JDS
12-09-2009, 02:31 AM
Cassanova kicks so much ass. Like most of my favorite comics, it's Rock and Roll As Hell -- Cass was even my avatar when I first started posting here. And yeah, the information-overload gimmick ups the reread value but makes it really hard to get the book's greatness right off. I'm torn as to whether it's so effective for setting the book's pace that it justifies itself.

Adrenaline
12-26-2009, 07:28 PM
I've only read one chapter, but I think Bone is pretty funny and awesome.

Octopus Prime
12-31-2009, 05:07 PM
The third volume of Atomic Robo, Robo is told "You have to kill Howard Philips Lovecraft... before he EATS THE WORLD!"

Because a horrid Alien God from outside the universe has literally sprung out of his head.

I love this comic so much.

teg
12-31-2009, 08:28 PM
I've only read one chapter, but I think Bone is pretty funny and awesome.You do not think, you know.

liquid
12-31-2009, 09:10 PM
So, I don't know how I missed this, but I guess you can read all of ElfQuest (http://www.elfquest.com/gallery/OnlineComics3.html) online now.

Badinage
12-31-2009, 09:14 PM
Cassanova kicks so much ass. Like most of my favorite comics, it's Rock and Roll As Hell -- Cass was even my avatar when I first started posting here. And yeah, the information-overload gimmick ups the reread value but makes it really hard to get the book's greatness right off. I'm torn as to whether it's so effective for setting the book's pace that it justifies itself.

I got the first trade of it two summers ago. The second story arc already ended, right? I think the trade for that one still has yet to come out. I really do need to reread it.

As for other non-superhero comics, I checked out Jason's The Left Bank Gang from the library. It's the first full book by him I read, and I have to say, I want to see more. He does a great job establishing just a complete feeling of melancholy. It's like he takes any energy the reader has and replaces it with a kind of quiet hopelessness and yearning at the same time. The library also has I Killed Adolf Hitler, so I may check that out.

ravinoff
12-31-2009, 10:20 PM
Earlier this week I received a package sent to me from a comic artist by the name of Shintaro Kago. In addition to some prints it contained the original art for two pages of his sixteen page comic Abstraction (which was discussed on this (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?p=317968) page of the Great Moments in Sequential Art thread).

Here's a pic (http://zodiacallight.net/images/abstraction_6.jpg) of one of them (while several pages of Abstraction are obviously NSFW this one is borderline, Not Safe For Workplaces that wouldn't care for the extremely bizarre).

Now to decide on frames.

I Kill Giants is wonderful, and I strongly second teekun's suggestion that you shouldn't read anything further about it before actually reading it.

liquid
12-31-2009, 10:41 PM
Here's a pic (http://zodiacallight.net/images/abstraction_6.jpg) of one of them (while several pages of Abstraction are obviously NSFW this one is borderline, Not Safe For Workplaces that wouldn't care for the extremely bizarre).
HOLY

How the hell did you get your hands on that?

ravinoff
12-31-2009, 10:43 PM
HOLY

How the hell did you get your hands on that?

Kago put them for sale on his website, a friend who knows how much I like Abstraction brought it to my attention. The other page I bought is the title page.

So yeah, I'm SQUEEEE! happy right now.

EDIT: the title page art (http://zodiacallight.net/images/abstraction_1.jpg) (has nothing to do with the rest of the comic)

Silent Noise
01-01-2010, 01:53 AM
I'm real happy for you and your garfield and imma let you finish but Calvin & Hobbes is greatest newspaper comic of all time OF ALL TIME!

Kirin
01-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Are we still doing this thread or did we merge back into the other one? Eh, whatever.

Anyway, Atomic Robo and the Shadow from Beyond Time (the third collection book) is out, and still awesome. It features not only HP Lovecraft, but also Carl Sagan! How could it go wrong?

Also, since you guys keep giving it the thumbs up, I procured a copy of I Kill Giants, but haven't read it yet. It's next on my list.

Kirin
01-18-2010, 08:12 AM
....and now I've read it. Good book! I had managed not to spoil the actual subject matter beforehand, so I actually guessed at an incorrect metaphor first (around the first couple counselor sessions I started thinking maybe her father was abusing her) before coming to the right conclusion a little farther on.

Oh! And she totally has a Shadow of the Colossus poster in the upstairs bedroom. Sweet.

teekun
01-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Last week I read Parker: The Hunter which I can't recommend enough to anyone who loves hardcore crime noir. There's not a single likable character in that entire book and it is absolutely fantastic. The art is beautiful as well. Check it out!

I'm currently about 1/3 of the way through Asterios Polyp and wow, it certainly is living up to the hype.

ShakeWell
01-19-2010, 11:22 PM
The Goon is goddamn amazing, the art is gorgeous and the writing is side splitting. David Fincher is making a computer animated movie. It might be the best thing ever.

Sleeper would be, I guess, technically a superhero book, but it's based in the Wildstorm universe which no one gives a fuck about and it's more a noir/espionage story than anything. It was done by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips, which should be enough.

Yeah, yeah, Scott Pilgrim is required reading for indie rock & retro game nerds, both groups I fall into, but I don't really need to mention that book on this board, do I?

Kyven
01-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Grant Morrison's new Vertigo book Joe the Barbarian (http://www.dccomics.com/vertigo/comics/?cm=13872) is out today. And the first issue is only $1.

teekun
01-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Grant Morrison's new Vertigo book Joe the Barbarian (http://www.dccomics.com/vertigo/comics/?cm=13872) is out today. And the first issue is only $1.

Yeah I can't wait to pick this up. I've been looking forward to it for a while.

R.R. Bigman
01-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Does anyone else here read the Fables series? I've got twelve volumes of the main series and six volumes of the more comedic spin-off Jack of Fables, plus some of the one shot stories like 1001 Nights of Snowfall and The Last Castle. The main series is a fantastic epic that has been compared to The Sandman, while Jack is more of an adventure-comedy that also goes a bit deeper into the theme that's so far only touched upon in the main series(I haven't read volumes 11 and 12 yet so I'm not positive) which is the relationship between the Mundane world(our world) and those of the many fables worlds. It's a very good series, but I have seen anyone hear talk about it.

P.S. There's also a new spin-off series starring Cinderella. Much like how Jack of Fables was a more lighthearted adventure story, Cinderella is essentially a spy story, with the titular princess going on different missions for the good of Fabletown.

Octopus Prime
01-24-2010, 02:28 PM
I've just got the first volume of Fables, but I liked it. Not sure why I haven't gotten more...

Though Jack of Fables does interest me more. Can I just leap into that, or should I read farther into the main series first?

R.R. Bigman
01-24-2010, 02:53 PM
The first volume mostly exists to introduce the characters and the fairly confusing backstory. The real story doesn't even start til the fourth volume(March of the Wooden Soldiers), but when it does it's amazing. On Jack of Fables the story splits off from volume six(Homelands) so would recommend reading to that point first. On the other hand JoF is really just a side story and has no real bearing on the plot of the main series, so it wouldn't hurt to jump in first.

Sanagi
01-24-2010, 03:41 PM
I like Fables all right but it doesn't thrill me. It's kinda Rahxephon to Sandman's Evangelion.

teg
01-26-2010, 09:08 AM
I bought the complete set of The Adventures Of Tintin last year and I'm finally getting into it! Currently I'm on volume three of eight. Most of the volumes contain three books worth of material.
The early stories are frankly terrible, which kept me from getting into the series at first. The first two books were left out of the compilation for being overtly racist and mean-spirited, and the set honestly doesn't suffer for their loss. The entire first volume is literally nothing but Tintin stumbling his way through some caper, being saved by an ungodly amount of sheer dumb luck at every turn.
Right now, however, I'm on "The Shooting Star," and I'm really starting to see where this series got its reputation. It's a genuinely intriguing and clever adventure story, though certain characters still aren't past their "one-trick pony" status.

benjibot
02-09-2010, 12:03 AM
Darwyn Cooke's comic version of Richard Stark's Hunter is incredibly great. The layout and pacing are just fantastic. Parker is a very laconic anti-hero (who bears more than a passing resemblance in this book to Golgo 13) so the dialog is sparse but the interstitial panels of reaction shots are just outstanding. I couldn't recommend this one highly enough, though it is a bit pricey on account of the quality of the paper and binding.

teekun
02-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Darwyn Cooke's comic version of Richard Stark's Hunter is incredibly great. The layout and pacing are just fantastic. Parker is a very laconic anti-hero (who bears more than a passing resemblance in this book to Golgo 13) so the dialog is sparse but the interstitial panels of reaction shots are just outstanding. I couldn't recommend this one highly enough, though it is a bit pricey on account of the quality of the paper and binding.

Agreed, such a fantastic book. It's amazing how the story manages to have you rooting for Parker despite what a horrible, horrible person he is. Cooke has done such a fantastic job with the visuals on this book too. I can't wait until the next one.

benjibot
02-10-2010, 12:54 AM
I've been reading some of the Parker novels from the library since I read this one. Been trying to stay on the earliest run, which has recently been reprinted too. Really enjoyable stuff and Parker is always a complete dick.

Evil Dead Junkie
02-10-2010, 02:22 AM
Have you gotten to The Mourner yet? It's my favorite so far. I've been following along in the reprints and having a blast.

Merus
02-10-2010, 05:57 AM
I bought the complete set of The Adventures Of Tintin last year and I'm finally getting into it! Currently I'm on volume three of eight. Most of the volumes contain three books worth of material.
The early stories are frankly terrible, which kept me from getting into the series at first. The first two books were left out of the compilation for being overtly racist and mean-spirited, and the set honestly doesn't suffer for their loss. The entire first volume is literally nothing but Tintin stumbling his way through some caper, being saved by an ungodly amount of sheer dumb luck at every turn.
Right now, however, I'm on "The Shooting Star," and I'm really starting to see where this series got its reputation. It's a genuinely intriguing and clever adventure story, though certain characters still aren't past their "one-trick pony" status.

Yeah, that's the weird thing about Tintin: there's no real good starting place.

Of course, there's not a lot of bad starting points either.

teekun
02-10-2010, 04:38 PM
I've been reading some of the Parker novels from the library since I read this one. Been trying to stay on the earliest run, which has recently been reprinted too. Really enjoyable stuff and Parker is always a complete dick.

Yeah, for me the moment it dawned on me how horrible a person he was is when he accidentally kills an innocent woman with asthma just because he wanted to use her place to scope out that guys hotel room

Complete dick.

AJR
02-10-2010, 05:41 PM
I was a little disappointed when I couldn't find any of the Parker novels at the various book stores in my city. I eventually stumbled upon Dirty Money, which was the last Parker novel Westlake released. It was alright, but I really want to read some of his earlier work.

R.R. Bigman
02-10-2010, 07:17 PM
Yeah, for me the moment it dawned on me how horrible a person he was is when he accidentally kills an innocent woman with asthma just because he wanted to use her place to scope out that guys hotel room

Complete dick.

Don't forget how after he knocks her out he thinks to himself, "she had nice legs. No, maybe after the job.":eek:

teekun
02-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Don't forget how after he knocks her out he thinks to himself, "she had nice legs. No, maybe after the job.":eek:

Haha yeah, there's that too. I'm so glad it's set in such a specific period, and the art reflects that as well, because the same character in a modern setting would seem so much worse, for some reason.

benjibot
02-19-2010, 06:18 PM
Maxwell Strangewell is a hilariously good book and highly recommended to anyone that loved The Hitchhikers Guide trilogy.

R.R. Bigman
02-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Tonight I planned to read a few chapters in my Locke & Key: Head Games book but read the entire thing and nearly missed The Soup because it was so darn good. I really want to see where this is all going.

P.S. Is it me or does Latin America have an unusually high amount of really talented artists?

Evil Dead Junkie
02-19-2010, 11:28 PM
I keep telling you all, Joe Hill is the fucking man.

O..O~
02-28-2010, 09:05 PM
So Nate Powell, author of graphic novel Swallow Me Whole (won eisener for orginal graphic novel this past summer), lives the town I go to school at. I have run into a couple times since I went to a small little signing of his and he is a super nice guy, always eager to talk and he actually remembers me. I ran him into tonight at a show his punkish band was playing and we talked briefly about captain america movies, he was shocked when I told him it was J.D Salinger's son in the 90's cap movie.

So yeah, I feel cool.

teekun
02-28-2010, 09:09 PM
I just today learned that Popgun Volume 4 is out! Buy it now! Go! Popgun is good stuff!

Kirin
03-01-2010, 08:02 AM
Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it to the Ursula Vernon signing at my local comic shop. I don't know a lot about her stuff (she was mostly there promo-ing a kids-oriented book about a young dragon), but I've got the first collection of Digger and I, uh, dig it.

Also, while I was there, I noticed that the current volumes of Atomic Robo were signed. I was like, wait, what? Apparently Brian Clevinger just happened to be in town at the hotel across the street on personal business and said "oh hey look, a comic shop!" and stopped in. I would've tried to drop by if I'd known but apparently it was totally un-planned. Regardless of one's opinions on 8-bit Theater, Atomic Robo is pretty rad. Sadly, though, I've been collecting the paperbacks and he just signed the latest monthlies. Ah well.

Kyven
03-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Patton Oswalt is writing a new Firefly/Serenity comic (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25133) about Wash due out in June and Shepherd's Tale is expected in November.

AJR
03-19-2010, 12:46 AM
Today I bought Matt Kindt's Super Spy and I recieved Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth in the mail. I'll probably read through both this weekend.

O..O~
04-18-2010, 03:23 PM
Guys! There's like a 3-4 second shot in kick-ass where a poster for Jeffery Brown's incredible change-bots (http://www.topshelfcomix.com/catalog/incredible-change-bots/562) is extremely visible (you can read the whole title!). I can only hope this introduces more people to his sad sap work that I love.

JDS
04-22-2010, 12:59 AM
Do you know who I like?

Al (http://www.mediafire.com/?ydkhyydvzmw)

Columbia. (http://www.mediafire.com/?ziyyhmnny5m)

He has a new book (http://www.amazon.com/Pim-Francie-Golden-Bear-Days/dp/1606993046/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271919343&sr=8-1) out which everyone should buy because it is horrifyingly beautiful. If it sells enough, maybe Fantagraphics will finally get off their ass and put out a collection of all his anthology stories.

ghosttaster
10-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Anyone stoked for the impending new Kramers Ergot? I'm looking forward to it for two reasons:

1) I'll actually be able to afford it

2) The list of contributors sounds excellent, and contains many who don't often contribute to anthologies (either anymore, or to what few anthologies actually remain).

Also, anyone dig 70s french sci fi comics? I managed to get good deals on a handful of Moebius books a while back (including Airtight Garage, hell yeah) but still haven't gotten up the nerve to splurge on getting Upon a Star or the Incal yet. I did manage to dig up cheap copies of Yragael Urm and Lone Sloane by Druillet though. Neither are very good reads in the sense of being entertaining stories (and the translations are just awful), and they aren't really 'good comics' in the sense of flowing well or being easily readable pages, but damn are they cool to look at. Druillet had a great sense of design, and the creatures and architecture he puts to the page are absolutely nightmarish.

On a similar note, Cinebook has been publishing the Valerian and Laureline series in english. They're pretty fluffy stories written for a young audience, but the artwork and panel flow are terrific. Great sci-fi design.

Sanagi
01-13-2012, 04:40 PM
I just read Habibi. Amazing stuff, trippy and dazzling. The mix of vividly stylized genre trappings, heavy symbolism and unpredictable, disruptive low humor reminds me of Tezuka's Phoenix: Tale of the Future.

Sanagi
10-03-2012, 12:30 AM
Alison Bechdel's autobiographical graphic novels, Fun Home and Are You My Mother? are extremely good. Fun Home is the better story, so I recommend it more highly. Are You My Mother is much more intellectual and analytical, lacking the clear plotline of Fun Home, but I liked it too.

Kirin
10-03-2012, 09:34 AM
I'd seen those on the shelf but hadn't quite picked them up yet. Maybe if I clear some backlog.

Also, if this thread is gonna get revived, it needs movin' to the dead trees sub-forum.

Tomm Guycot
11-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Any fans of canonical Silent Hill comics? (http://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-news/silent-hill-downpour-comic-teased-by-tom-waltz/)

Karzac
11-03-2012, 08:42 AM
I'd seen those on the shelf but hadn't quite picked them up yet. Maybe if I clear some backlog.

Oh man, you have to read Fun Home. It's the book that got me into literary comics. Like Sanagi said, Are You My Mother? lacks the focus of the first book, but that would have been impossible to avoid considering the subject matter.

Sanagi
11-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Age of Reptiles is the page-turniest pile of pages I've ever turned. It's not exactly deep but it's hard to top "beautifully drawn dinosaur violence" for simple entertainment value.

Olli T
11-22-2012, 03:08 AM
A friend lent me the first three books of Dungeon Quest and wow, it wasn't really what I thought it would be. Okay, it has the RPG parody I was expecting, but there's also a lot of recreational drug use, penises and eventually a weird and surprisingly detailed mythology.

ghosttaster
11-22-2012, 09:44 AM
I got Dal Tokyo by Gary Panter. I'd been waiting a long time for this book to come out and... well, it did. And I'm not disappointed.

But the dimensions are somewhat... oppressive. Like its hard to read it comfortably because its so cartoonishly oblong. It makes sense for the art itself, and the way its presented, but... whatever. I'd take Panter over no-Panter any day.

R.R. Bigman
11-30-2012, 10:44 PM
I just finished reading the first of two collections of Fletcher Hanks' work, and it is as crazy and disturbing as it's reputation. It's nuts! The stories all seem to begin with Stardust/Fantomah overhearing large groups of despicably evil criminals getting ready to hatch their truly horrible plans to kill millions of people for sometimes literally no reason other than EVIL, then Stardust/Fantomah rush to stop them, but not before scores are killed in the opening stage of the incredibly well funded and armed "Racketeers" and "Crime Wizards" genocidal plans.

The thing is, Stardust and his Jungle Warrior Lady counterpart Fantomah, are so comically powerful that every story ends with them showing up to the bad guys lair, immediately disarming them, stopping their evil plans to, in one case, stop the Earth's rotation with a "Gravity Ray" to send everyone flying into space so the criminals can take all of the money in the world, exacts divine vengeance on them and flies away. There is no tension, no struggle. Stardust just wins. It defies most basic storytelling rules, and it's fascinating.

It turns out, though, that the most interesting part of the book is a comic written and drawn by the author of the collection, who tries to track down what happened to Fletcher Hanks after he quit drawing comics in 1941. He tracks down Hanks' son, who tells him how his father was a horrible, evil man who was always drunk, constantly beat him, his siblings and mother, once kicking him down the stairs when he was only four and breaking his Mother's face and not letting her go to the hospital to get treatment, and finally took all their money and vanished in 1930. After Hanks disappeared in '41, he wasn't seen again until his body was found frozen on a park bench in New York city over thirty years later. It's a hard story to read.

Octopus Prime
12-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Knowing that Hanks was a pretty horrible person all around kind of makes reading his comics go from "disturbingly surreal" to "reading a serial killers diary-surreal".

Kirin
01-09-2013, 11:53 AM
So I just finished the Krishna graphic novel by Abhishek Singh, and man is it gorgeous. Bits were a bit cartoonier than I expected, with other parts heading more towards traditional religious/mystical art, but he makes it all work together admirably. Also, as a bonus, fills me in on some pretty important world mythology that I wasn't too familiar with.

This may be in the wrong thread, though, Krishna *is* kind of a superhero...

AJR
01-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Chris Ware's Building Stories is a thing of fucking beauty. Easily one of the best comics (if you can even call it that) I've ever read.

Karzac
01-27-2013, 08:41 PM
Oh man, there's a copy in the university bookstore and every so often I hold it longingly. Someday, someday.

Sanagi
04-04-2013, 11:10 PM
I spent much of the day in a marathon read of Economix by Goodwin and Burr, an explanation of the history of economics in a style reminiscent of Understanding Comics and Action Philosophers. Impressively, it concisely explains complex economic theories while also bringing up deeper points and details that I hadn't encountered before. It's an engrossing and insightful book. My only complaint is that as the book nears the present, it takes a more partisan tone, and the authors couldn't resist some snide political caricatures at the expense of Reagan and the Bushes. Deserved, yes, but it brings down the book a bit simply because political caricatures are innately tedious. The argument that forms the final chapters of the book would stand better on its reasoning alone, that argument being that corporate lobbying, reckless investment schemes and austerity are the cause of today's economic woes. That gripe aside, I recommend the book highly.