PDA

View Full Version : Enough with the bacon!!!

Daikaiju
11-22-2009, 05:29 AM
Really? Did we REALLY need THIS? (http://www.dailyfork.com/2009/11/bacon_flavored_envelopes_snail.php)

Bongo Bill
11-22-2009, 06:04 AM
I, too, am anticipating the burst of the Bacon Bubble. It's just a tasty pig product, guys. No need to get bent out of shape.

Dizzy
11-22-2009, 07:01 AM
I've never really liked bacon. Too rich with sodium.

Loki
11-22-2009, 07:43 AM
Bacon is one of those ninja/pirate/zombie things that the internet ruined.

People stop talking about it already!

If you even post in a topic about bacon you are worse than Hitler!

BEAT
11-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Those envelopes look totally delicious.

Seth Marati
11-22-2009, 08:12 AM
Did we ever figure out why bacon is so popular with these people? My guess is that since eating healthily is fashionable right now, the hip thing to do is act contrary to that; bacon, being almost a perfect indulgence food, is a logical mode of expression for this. The reason bacon became a meme instead of, say, cake, is that bacon has historical associations with the idea of people eating a satisfying, hearty breakfast, with disregard to health concerns thirty years in the future. It projects an "I don't care" image of faux-toughness. Something like cake or other sugary things would project an "I don't care" image of being sloppy or childish.

teg
11-22-2009, 08:13 AM
Somebody post that Nedroid comic about the idea of bacon.

Lady
11-22-2009, 12:41 PM
I like bacon, but I hate the way that it is represented in places like this.

Instead of thinking 'OH YEA YUM', the stripes of lean and fat just make me queasy.

Bergasa
11-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Those envelopes seem like a bit much, but brother, let me tell you: I had some bacon-infused salad dressing yesterday, and it was pretty great.

Posaune
11-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Those envelopes seem like a bit much, but brother, let me tell you: I had some bacon-infused salad dressing yesterday, and it was pretty great.

Man, this restaurant I used to work at had this sweet spinach salad with a warm vinaigrette dressing (which I think used some bacon fat or something.. I'm not sure how to make it), and after tossing the spinach in the warm dressing you'd put crisp bits of bacon and goat cheese on the top. Primo stuff.

Dawnswalker
11-22-2009, 04:07 PM
That sounds absolutely delicious, but there's no way that didn't destroy the entire nutritional point of eating a spinach salad rather than a bacon cheeseburger.

Wolfgang
11-22-2009, 04:18 PM
It projects an "I don't care" image of faux-toughness.

Yeah, this. It lets you be disgusting and still delude yourself into feeling like a badass.

mopinks
11-22-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm going home for Thanksgiving, which means I get to visit my favorite izakaya, which means I am going to eat things wrapped in bacon. do you know how many things wrapped in bacon I am going to eat? the answer is so many things.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/ranchuu/1372565212_7f3d1fc115.jpg
OH MY GOD LOOK AT THESE THINGS WRAPPED IN BACON.

Disposable Ninja
11-22-2009, 09:22 PM
On one side of the field:

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa34/disponi/baconnaise.jpg

And on the other side of the field:

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa34/disponi/vegenaise.jpg

Were ever the two to be spread upon either side of the same sandwich, surely the universe would be destroyed!

*Veganaise is actually pretty tasty.

ThricebornPhoenix
11-22-2009, 09:35 PM
Did we ever figure out why bacon is so popular with these people? My guess is that since eating healthily is fashionable right now, the hip thing to do is act contrary to that; bacon, being almost a perfect indulgence food, is a logical mode of expression for this. The reason bacon became a meme instead of, say, cake, is that bacon has historical associations with the idea of people eating a satisfying, hearty breakfast, with disregard to health concerns thirty years in the future. It projects an "I don't care" image of faux-toughness. Something like cake or other sugary things would project an "I don't care" image of being sloppy or childish.

You're overthinking it. Bacon is just awesomely delicious.

But envelopes? Seriously?

Bergasa
11-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Man, this restaurant I used to work at had this sweet spinach salad with a warm vinaigrette dressing (which I think used some bacon fat or something.. I'm not sure how to make it), and after tossing the spinach in the warm dressing you'd put crisp bits of bacon and goat cheese on the top. Primo stuff.

Yes! My grandma used to have a recipe which was basically what you described. Delicious stuff.

DemoWeasel
11-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Were ever the two to be spread upon either side of the same sandwich, surely the universe would be destroyed!

Both of those look like they taste horribawful.

Dawnswalker
11-23-2009, 12:10 AM
Baconnaise looks like old vomit.

Torgo
11-23-2009, 01:06 AM
I personally make a point to not let the internet ruin awesome things for me.

Zef
11-23-2009, 09:50 AM
Did we ever figure out why bacon is so popular with these people? My guess is that since eating healthily is fashionable right now, the hip thing to do is act contrary to that; bacon, being almost a perfect indulgence food, is a logical mode of expression for this. The reason bacon became a meme instead of, say, cake, is that bacon has historical associations with the idea of people eating a satisfying, hearty breakfast, with disregard to health concerns thirty years in the future.

It's not a current fashion, Dr. Samuel Beckett's father was disregarding heath concerns all the way back from 1969!

Willm
11-23-2009, 09:53 AM
It's not a current fashion, Dr. Samuel Beckett's father was disregarding heath concerns all the way back from 1969!

Man, that's crazy. I thought I was the only person who was thinking this.

Quantum Leap 4 life, yo.

NevznachaY
01-14-2010, 07:09 AM
Did anyone of you actually try Baconnaise? I'm curious.

Reinforcements
01-14-2010, 07:40 AM
Why does the Vegenaisse say "Dairy free" on it? Of course it is! Regular mayonaisse doesn't have dairy!

Pombar
01-14-2010, 07:48 AM
Why does the Vegenaisse say "Dairy free" on it? Of course it is! Regular mayonaisse doesn't have dairy!It has eggs.

Ethan
01-14-2010, 08:23 AM
This is funny... I was about to make a thread called "Post-Bacon" about this exact same topic last night, but then I got distracted. My love of bacon-as-food makes me extremely frustrated with bacon-as-meme.

The key with bacon is that it's just a certain way of preparing pork belly, a cheap, delicious cut of meat that is popular across the world and has nothing to do with Americana or bigdick posturing. My favorite pork belly serving situation by far is slow-roasted Hong Kong-style with crispy skin, but bacon happens to be the easiest way to obtain pork belly in these parts of the world, so I run with it. I ate some this morning, in fact. I tend to avoid grocery store bacon and go for the thicker, less processed stuff you get from farmers' markets and CSA organizations, because it has more pork belly taste and less artificial smoke flavoring. Bacon can be good... but it's just a food, with no more weight in my life than other particularly delicious foods, like chantrelles or Neapolitan pizza or fatty tuna sashimi or garlic naan or something. I'm disappointed that eating and discussing bacon is now akin to listening to Turbonegro whilst wearing a Threadless shirt. I anxiously await the day when people with skinny pants leave bacon behind, to be retrieved and dusted off by the gastronomes.

Brickroad
01-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Really? Did we REALLY need THIS? (http://www.dailyfork.com/2009/11/bacon_flavored_envelopes_snail.php)

Yes, I am 99.9% sure we did in fact need those.

Also this thread title is probably the first time I have ever seen the words "enough" and "bacon" in a sentence which didn't also feature the word "not".

Pombar
01-14-2010, 08:32 AM
My favorite pork belly serving situation by far is slow-roasted Hong Kong-style with crispy skin, but bacon happens to be the easiest way to obtain pork belly in these parts of the world, so I run with it.You should definitely try some Southern Chinese styles of pork belly - the way they prepare it on the Sichuan/Yunnan border is to die/kill a pig for.

TheSL
01-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Also this thread title is probably the first time I have ever seen the words "enough" and "bacon" in a sentence which didn't also feature the word "not".

Exactly.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/baconexplosion.jpg

The Bacon Explosion was delicious.

Reinforcements
01-14-2010, 08:44 AM
It has eggs.
Well yeah, I'm not disputing the point of a vegetarian/vegan mayo, just the unnecessary "Dairy-free" label. It's admittedly a pet peeve of mine when marketing proudly proclaims things that aren't actually special. Like those Budweiser American Ale commercials that go out of their way to mention that they use top-fermenting yeast. Yes, that is the definition of "ale", thanks.

Ilchymis
01-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Wait... we're not allowed to listen to Turbonegro anymore?

Dadgum Roi
01-14-2010, 09:00 AM
Like those Budweiser American Ale commercials that go out of their way to mention that they use top-fermenting yeast. Yes, that is the definition of "ale", thanks.

Most Budweiser drinkers have probably never had an ale. Every mass market American beer is a lager.

Reinforcements
01-14-2010, 09:03 AM
Most Budweiser drinkers have probably never had an ale. Every mass market American beer is a lager.
Yeah... there are better examples of that sort of thing but that's the only one I can think of.

Ethan
01-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Wait... we're not allowed to listen to Turbonegro anymore?

You are, but you're not allowed to take such a simple pleasure as pork belly and inject it with the same kind of self-conscious humor.

Wolfgang
01-14-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm disappointed that eating and discussing bacon is now akin to listening to Turbonegro whilst wearing a Threadless shirt. I anxiously await the day when people with skinny pants leave bacon behind, to be retrieved and dusted off by the gastronomes.

The voice of sanity, people. The guy in the picture with the bacon explosion thing is everything wrong in the world.

TheSL
01-14-2010, 10:04 AM
The guy in the picture with the bacon explosion thing is everything wrong in the world.

What's wrong with trying something ridiculous just for the hell of it? Its not like I'm eating those things every day or anything.

Red Hedgehog
01-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Did anyone of you actually try Baconnaise? I'm curious.

CJ Awesome was telling me that he was recently gifted Baconnaise and that it was surprisingly good. I remain dubious.

Shadax
01-14-2010, 01:54 PM
CJ Awesome was telling me that he was recently gifted Baconnaise and that it was surprisingly good. I remain dubious.

Let me preface this by saying I don't particularly care for bacon. I am ok with it from time to time, but have never gone out of my way to have it, and often have it taken off of sandwiches that might otherwise be garnished with it. But my house recieved a bacon lovers gift pack from a friend, mostly due to one roommate that loves bacon irrationally, and one of the items was baconnaise. It's shockingly smokey, probably because it's vegetarian and the bacon flavoring is reproduced with spices. It's intensely savory, and a light spread of it really peps up an avacado and turkey sandwich.

Also, actually reading the whole of the thread, Vegannaise (which I regularly use) and Baconnaise are roughly equivalent healthwise

Ethan
01-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Most people don't realize just how bad for you all the vegan substitutes for non-vegan items are. I mean, you can bicker about the omnivorous diet vs. the herbivorous diet all you want, and that can get very messy, but everyone seems to universally agree that processed food is bad and whole food is good. Vegan substitutes are the most processed food. I have nothing to back this up, but I'm quite sure that my body is able to metabolize uncured bacon in a better way than it metabolizes a Boca burger, just based on how I feel after eating each one. As such, I would trust plain, pure mayonnaise which can be made with no electricity from as little as two ingredients, both of very simple origin over Vegenaise, which uses processed soybean protein as an emulsifier. Vegenaise isn't the worst offender or anything, not by a long shot, but still... it kind of creeps me out.

NevznachaY
01-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Sounds nice. That's surprising.

Merus
01-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Also, actually reading the whole of the thread, Vegannaise (which I regularly use) and Baconnaise are roughly equivalent healthwise

I would imagine because they're both variants of mayonnaise, which is not massively good for you in the first place.

I am tired of people celebrating bacon. It is just a food. Yes, it can be pretty tasty, but if that was all it was where then are the orange juice memes? Orange juice is pretty goddamn tasty. I think it's what that guy said before, it's posturing.

mopinks
01-14-2010, 04:24 PM
man, did you just compare bacon to orange juice? fuck orange juice, it's a punk.

I'd like to see you wrap a scallop in orange juice!

MetManMas
01-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Bacon-flavored envelopes? Jeez, why would anyone wanna taste bacon when licking an envelope? I'd rather just buy some bacon bits and dump 'em in my mouth after each lick than taste bacon-flavored glue.

Cinnamon-flavored envelopes, I'd fully support though. =P

As for other bacon talk, while I have some love for the common pig-type bacon, I've grown to love turkey bacon much more since I've been dieting more. It's just as tasty if not tastier, and far less likely to make my heart explode into a mushroom cloud of grease and gore.

Falselogic
01-14-2010, 06:58 PM
I personally make a point to not let the internet ruin awesome things for me.

Yes, I am 99.9% sure we did in fact need those.

Everything that needs to be said has been said on this subject. Mods, lock it down!

Merus
01-14-2010, 08:39 PM
man, did you just compare bacon to orange juice? fuck orange juice, it's a punk.

Pastry then. Where are the pastry memes? You can make a motherfucking pie out of pastry.

Torgo
01-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Pastry then. Where are the pastry memes? You can make a motherfucking pie out of pastry.
It's been done: Pie vs. Cake meme.

mopinks
01-14-2010, 09:01 PM
yeah, I was gonna say. the internet ruined pie a while ago!

Merus
01-14-2010, 09:07 PM
But pie isn't pastry, is it. You can also make a motherfucking croissant out of pastry. It gives us so much, much more than bacon ever did.

estragon
01-14-2010, 09:34 PM
My feeling is definitely that:

pastry<bacon
and
orange juice<bacon

But I'm not sure if it's . . .

pastry<orange juice

or

orange juice <pastry

Torgo
01-14-2010, 10:06 PM
But pie isn't pastry, is it.
Yes it is. We can jabber incessantly about semantics if you'd prefer, but barring a crust not made out of pastry dough, pie is a pastry product.

Merus
01-14-2010, 10:34 PM
This is rather off the topic: we know that bacon is tasty, let's try and dial back the enthusiasm. There are many other tasty foods. Bacon deserves no special treatment.

Torgo
01-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Breakfast sausage is better anyway.

SilentSnake
01-14-2010, 10:45 PM
Bacon is not tasty when it's chewy.

Yeah. I went there.

DemoWeasel
01-14-2010, 10:53 PM

Scallops suck anyway.

OJ 4 LIFE

Abominable K
01-14-2010, 11:32 PM
Scallops taste like soap.

Torgo
01-14-2010, 11:48 PM
I would try marinating a scallop in it, perhaps.

+1 for oj? Possibly.

Alixsar
01-14-2010, 11:50 PM
Somebody post that Nedroid comic about the idea of bacon.

http://nedroid.com/comics/2008-01-28-beartato-originsofbacon.gif

I have this shit bookmarked.

Pajaro Pete
01-15-2010, 01:04 AM
Scallops suck anyway.

OJ 4 LIFE

While I agree that Orange Juice is quite tasty, that is no reason to go around with your vicious lies w/r/t scallops.

Alixsar, you are truly the best poster.

Wolfgang
01-15-2010, 03:23 AM

WHERE ARE THE EGGROLL MEMES is what I want to know, eggrolls are the fucking best thing

Abominable K
01-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Bacon is basically idiot-proof. Eggrolls can either be amazing or the Worst Thing Ever depending on the chef.

Brickroad
01-15-2010, 11:13 AM
GUYS GUYS

I found BACON in my fridge. Like, half a pack of it.

I'm cooking it right the hell now. I'm not even hungry. I'm going to eat it though because it is BACON.

SilentSnake
01-15-2010, 11:15 AM
GUYS GUYS

I'm cooking it right the hell now. I'm not even hungry. I'm going to eat it though because it is BACON.

Man, I'm disappointed in you that you didn't make them into a shake somehow.

Wolfgang
01-15-2010, 11:22 AM
GUYS GUYS

Have fun being fat lol

Dizzy
01-15-2010, 11:31 AM
He can't hear you. (He's too busy chewing!)

So are we going to send this thread to a National Congress for Food Memes or what?

CaliScrub
01-15-2010, 04:53 PM
If you strip out the salt and fat overdose, is there anything inherent to bacon that makes it unhealthier than other forms of meat?

Related question: if you strip out the salt and fat overdose, is there anything inherently delicious about bacon anymore (relative to other forms of meat)?

mopinks
01-15-2010, 05:11 PM
that's a trick question. if you strip the fat out of bacon, it's not even bacon anymore! bacon is fat.

any vestigial muscle is just there to hold the fat together.

chud_666
01-15-2010, 05:15 PM
I am never really aware of these ironic memes until I see the backlash on TT

Also Turbonegro rules

Ethan
01-16-2010, 09:28 AM
Actually, the muscle isn't needed to hold it together. Behold: LARDO

http://blogs.kitschmag.com/fire/files/2009/02/lardo-lard-prosciutto-bianco.jpg

I had a Neapolitan lardo pizza once. Since it is pretty much all fat, the lardo dissolved and fused with the (delicious) crust. The pizza looked like it was almost completely bare except for some scattered puddles of grease, but then I bit into it and was greeted with a concentrated explosion of pure porkosity. It was something special.

Daikaiju
01-16-2010, 10:00 AM
God help me but I am intrigued. Is it really called "lardo" pizza?

Ethan
01-16-2010, 10:10 AM
Lardo is the name of the cut of meat, which is basically the layer of pork fat from underneath the skin, cured/aged with rosemary and other spices. It's an old school Tuscan thing, I think. The pizza was called "allardiato." It was a limited-time special from Chicago's best Italian-style pizza place (http://spaccanapolipizzeria.com/).

NevznachaY
01-16-2010, 10:33 AM
It's the basis of Ukrainian cuisine as well.