PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo's marketing department departs Nintendo

Excitemike
06-06-2007, 06:30 PM
From Game Informer:
(http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/DBDBAA74-D8AD-4175-8286-3E54EB0494F1.htm)
Now that the June deadline date for Nintendo of America staff has reared its head, the fallout from Nintendo’s Sales and Marketing move has been leaked. According to our sources, approximately 90% of the Nintendo of America Sales and Marketing Staff has decided not to make the move to either San Francisco or New York, thereby taking a severance and leaving the company.

Three key executives will be leaving Nintendo of America, including Senior Director of Public Relations Beth Llewelyn; Vice President, Marking and Corporate Affairs Perrin Kaplan; and Senior Vice President, Marketing and Corporate Communications George Harrison. When these three will actually depart the company is unknown at this time, however, we’re betting on the fact that they’ll stay with Nintendo of America until the upcoming E3 show is over.

Wow. This was unexpected. Not that Perrin Kaplan is any great loss, but that's a pretty big hole to fill. I feel bad for the 10% left behind who have to cover at E3. I wonder if this has anything to do with the liscenceing of Nintendo Power?

Torgo
06-06-2007, 06:32 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b139/I_am_Torgo/ohsnap.gif

I guess the Big N is gonna have some openings in its ranks. In SF and NY I doubt they'll have much trouble.

Vahn16
06-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Nintendo's marketing department has been doing pretty well for itself lately. This is an unfortunate loss for them. Hopefully their new employees aren't anything like Sony's marketing department.

Good thing Kaplan's gone, though. She wasn't doing much for Nintendo when she was hanging on journalists and giving false information.

Kishi
06-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Who said there was never any turnover at Nintendo?

ArugulaZ
06-06-2007, 07:08 PM
I was worried until I heard that Perrin Kaplan was one of the Nintendo employees getting a pink slip. Now it actually sounds like a really good idea!

JR

alexb
06-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Now who's going to slouch drunkenly, then?

Sporophyte
06-06-2007, 08:13 PM
I'm sad. We're running out of idiotic company spokespeople to mock.

Excitemike
06-06-2007, 08:26 PM
I'm sad. We're running out of idiotic company spokespeople to mock.
Aw, chin up, buddy. There'll be more, just you wait and see.

openedsource
06-07-2007, 05:35 AM
From a marketing/PR perspective, NYC is the new hotness. Silicon Alley + Madison Ave. = BFF.

Of course, I'm also secretly hoping that this means that there'll be a lot more Nintendo-sponsored events happening in the Tri-State Area (and maybe a few less out-of-character Nintendo sponsored emo and grunge rock concerts).

Psyael
06-07-2007, 06:11 AM
I'm frankly suprised this news has been so widespread. I've been seeing it on most major sites, the blogs, etc. I really have to ask aloud, who gives a crap? It's people from gaming companies whose backgrounds are in things other than games. If you're going to talk about people at a game company, at least talk about the people responsible for making the products, since at the core that's what we care the most about.

Excitemike
06-07-2007, 07:32 AM
I gives a crap. Nintendo is as (or arguably more) successful now as they have ever been in the past, and after nearly a decade of being in last place. Why a large group of marketing people would walk away from such a successful turnaround just months after their hard work has paid off is an ominous sign. It's the first sign of weakness we have seen from Nintendo in a long time.

TheSL
06-07-2007, 08:13 AM
I gives a crap. Nintendo is as (or arguably more) successful now as they have ever been in the past, and after nearly a decade of being in last place. Why a large group of marketing people would walk away from such a successful turnaround just months after their hard work has paid off is an ominous sign. It's the first sign of weakness we have seen from Nintendo in a long time.

Maybe the severance package was large enough that it made up for walking away from that?

Excitemike
06-07-2007, 08:21 AM
But why walk away? It's hard to speculate without knowing the number of people of people who are leaving. There's going to be a certain number who don't want to uproot their families, or have responsibilites in the area, etc. But like openedsource said, NYC is a hopping place to have and job like that, and for such a succesful company? The contacts you would make alone should be an incentive to at least give it a try for a few months. I think there's more to this story.

openedsource
06-07-2007, 08:34 AM
But like openedsource said, NYC is a hopping place to have and job like that, and for such a succesful company?

To be fair, I made that point to justify why Nintendo might want to have a presence here. There are absolutely benefits for leaving a company for reasons of location, and leaving a company that you (arguably) helped get back on top of it's game would make you a hot commodity in the job market.

And if one was looking to stay in Seattle, certainly the fact that Microsoft just purchased aQuantive for billions will open lots of opportunities.

Hell, who knows. It may not have been entirely their decision to leave.

djSyndrome
06-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Nintendo is as (or arguably more) successful now as they have ever been in the past, and after nearly a decade of being in last place.

Last place in the console arena, but they have always been first place in the handheld arena. Plus, profitability throughout.

TheSL
06-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Last place in the console arena, but they have always been first place in the handheld arena. Plus, profitability throughout.

Hard to be not first when the only competition its had is stuff like the Game Gear(battery life!), Wonder Swan, Neo-Geo Pocket(did anyone but SNK make games for it?), N-Gage(what a joke) and PSP(PSPort-able, etc).

Mister Toups
06-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Not that Perrin Kaplan is any great loss, but that's a pretty big hole to fill.

lol what

Jakanden
06-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Aw, chin up, buddy. There'll be more, just you wait and see.

He speaks truth

thomp538
06-07-2007, 11:19 AM
I see drunken Perrin has already been covered. In that case I have nothing to add.

alexb
06-07-2007, 11:32 AM
They're gonna go the way of Ken Lobb and join the evil empire. Look for Perrin to slur the title of Rare's next collectathon at next E3.

Psyael
06-07-2007, 01:46 PM

But it's not anybody turning the company around. It's marketing. If star programmers were leaving, I'd have to go throw up and then think about it for a little while. This is just another sign of growth.

Apple fired Chiat/Day in 1985 for that "Lemmings" ad that damaged their relationship with businesses. Their public visibility didn't disappear, they still had "The Power to be Your Best" and a few other memorable ads until their product (Mac) almost died out in the 68030-'040 years. Then it didn't matter what nifty ad they made or how true to life it was. "Check your auto exec dot bat!"

Point is, Nintendo won't fail until the products fail. And I don't think these people were doing a good job selling the products anyway.

Sporophyte
06-07-2007, 02:51 PM
All sadness about the loss of entertainment value in stupid statments aside, this development is interesting to me just because it feels so much like there is something more going on that we don't know about. Has Reggie's fame and popularity alienated these folks who were there at the company before him? has his "kicking ass and taking names" style been an unbearable rule under which to work? Have George, Beth and Perrin conspired to start their own independant marketing firm to propel themselves to fame and fortune? The questions are endless.

Excitemike
06-07-2007, 02:56 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d25/eye_robot/miscellaneous/FURTHERQUESTIONS.jpg

nadia
06-07-2007, 05:39 PM
I thought Reggie's infamous speech about Nintendo "kicking ass and taking names" would be laughed back to the schoolyard, but somehow it became a (beloved) internet meme.

I guess it doesn't work unless you look in Reggie's eyes while he says it.

Red Hedgehog
06-07-2007, 06:14 PM
I thought Reggie's infamous speech about Nintendo "kicking ass and taking names" would be laughed back to the schoolyard, but somehow it became a (beloved) internet meme.

I guess it doesn't work unless you look in Reggie's eyes while he says it.

Don't underestimate Reggie's hypnotic powers!

Red Hedgehog
06-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Apple fired Chiat/Day in 1985 for that "Lemmings" ad that damaged their relationship with businesses. Their public visibility didn't disappear, they still had "The Power to be Your Best" and a few other memorable ads until their product (Mac) almost died out in the 68030-'040 years. Then it didn't matter what nifty ad they made or how true to life it was. "Check your auto exec dot bat!"

Completely off topic, but I was led to understand that the "negative reaction" to the Lemmings ad was overblown and that the ad was used as a scapegoat. The real problem was that for all the ad promised, Apple didn't actually have anything significant to offer. After all, it isn't like the 1984 commercial was any less insulting to the people it was trying to woo, but Apple actually had an innovative product to offer. For the "Macintosh Office" all Apple had was a reworked Lisa, a laser printer, and a networking protocol.

Calorie Mate
06-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Yeah, there's definitely something more to all this, and I want answers, dammit!

Warg
06-07-2007, 06:35 PM
But it's not anybody turning the company around. It's marketing.
Hrmm... I really believe this statement stems from a vital misunderstanding of what marketing is.

So that I don't give an entire Marketing 101 lecture in this post, I'll just say that Nintendo's desire to cater to more varied markets -- and the research involved in determining what those varied markets want -- is a big part of what brought Brain Age to exist for an older demographic in Japan. (Even if, in this case, the idea was ultimately brought about by their CFO.) And research that it'd be viable here is what brought it to the West. That's a big part of what a marketing department is supposed to do; it's about much more than just advertising and PR.

So, er -- marketing, done properly, can indeed play a part in turning the company around. It's not the only part -- but don't discount their worth.

That said -- there are such things as horribly-misguided marketing departments.

Excitemike
06-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Nintendo responds: (http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/noa-sixty-percent--wont-move-267311.php)

Virtually all of the employees affected by the relocation plan have now responded with their decisions, and approximately four of every ten have agreed to make the move to either New York or the Bay Area, in keeping with our original expectations.
A transition task force of key executives has been formed to ensure the smoothest process possible, and continuous information and resources will be available to all employees. The rest of Nintendo's strong leadership talent will continue to drive our business objectives forward. It has always been the case that Nintendo employees are resilient and rise to any challenge, and there is no doubt in my mind that we will excel as we continue to tackle new challenges and business opportunities.

Nintendo itself can not discuss the relocation status of any individual involved, but for those who will be departing the company, we have every expectation that they will succeed to the highest degree in their future endeavors. We will miss the talent, energy and experience from those who have chosen not to relocate. Our sales and marketing teams have been key components in returning Nintendo to its current position of market leadership.

Reggie Fils-Aime
President, Nintendo of America

That's still a high number, but it's not as alarming.

Squall
06-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Is this the same marketing team that promoted the n64 and the Gamecube? They did do one hell of a job with Pokemon 8-9 years ago, though.

Deadguy2322
06-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Nintendo's own marketing department is not a big loss. The fanboys and 5-year-olds do the marketing for them. Their official advertising is tedious at best, embarrassing at worst. Remember the Play It Loud campaign? Or the Who needs a new system? campaign that gave way 3 months later to the Change The System campaign?

Jeanie
06-08-2007, 09:44 PM
As compared to Sony's marketing campaigns? Like the racist bondage or the dead goat? And what does Microsoft use? It's so forgetable, especially compared to something like "Now you're playing with power." or The Wizard. Heck, you seem to have a major mad-on for Nintendo, but you have to admit that their marketing was pretty good if people still talk about 10, 15, 20 yrs. after the fact.

Warg
06-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Nintendo's own marketing department is not a big loss. The fanboys and 5-year-olds do the marketing for them. Their official advertising is tedious at best, embarrassing at worst.
Er -- it's really best to re-read just a few short posts up. Again, marketing is more than advertising & PR -- it's also, at its simplest, determining what sorts of products to make for a market, how to price it for a market, etc. Hence the term. (There's a better textbook definition for it, though.)

You can read the wikipedia article on marketing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marketing), since it covers it better than I will here. [Only thing is, the last time I read it, it had some parts had more of an awful market-speak tone instead of a proper textbook tone. Though, I guess that's to be expected when anyone can edit it.]

ArugulaZ
06-08-2007, 11:09 PM
I think Nintendo's latest marketing campaign is its most honest since the NES days. It accurately reflects the Japanese heritage of the system, and the fun of playing it with friends. Practically all of the crap they did between the late Super NES period to the late Nintendo 64 period was an embarrassing copy of Sega's iconic advertising.

They did strike a high note with the "Who Are You?" ads for the Game Boy Advance SP, though... the 80's tribute in particular was what convinced me to run out and buy the NES model of the system.

JR

Deadguy2322
06-09-2007, 07:18 AM
They did strike a high note with the "Who Are You?" ads for the Game Boy Advance SP, though... the 80's tribute in particular was what convinced me to run out and buy the NES model of the system.

JR

Funny part about that campaign:

Nintendo of Canada didn't use that slogan, but did use slightly altered ads from the campaign, which resulted in head-scratchers like the SMB 3 for GBA ad having a whole bunch of kids running down the street.

Once I finally saw the US version of the ad, where they all had the Mario heads digitally superimposed, it made sense, and almost looked cool.

Kishi
06-09-2007, 10:32 AM
They only have the Mario heads at the very end. For the most part, it's still a bunch of featherlight kids running through a city--which works, I think. "Kids love SMB3 and will form mobs to acquire their copies on release day" is a much less nebulous message than the whole "Who Are You?" thing was, anyway.

ArugulaZ
06-09-2007, 01:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdZrjVSIgW0

This is actually the commercial I meant. I can't think of a better way to capture both the excitement of the Nintendo era and the dazzling veneer of the 80's. Best of all... no crippling boneitus!

JR

Tomm Guycot
06-09-2007, 01:39 PM
The most accurate Nintendo ad ever was the original SMB3 one. Where everyone on earth is cheering and the camera zooms out where everyone is forming a giant mario head on earth.

jovewolf
06-09-2007, 01:44 PM
The most accurate Nintendo ad ever was the original SMB3 one. Where everyone on earth is cheering and the camera zooms out where everyone is forming a giant mario head on earth.

Yeah this one:
Mario Across the U.S. (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACw9-E_zX58)

That was a pretty memorable ad too.

Deadguy2322
06-09-2007, 02:01 PM

Hey, Tomm, go floss. You have Miyamoto's pubes caught in your teeth.

What a nonsensical thing to say. How was that ad accurate? Are you happy at Konami, or is this board just a tool to bring you to Nintendo's attention so they'll hire you?

openedsource
06-09-2007, 02:07 PM

I can give you the name of a good proctologist. It seems like you might have a bug up your ass.

ArugulaZ
06-09-2007, 02:09 PM

http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/5169/drevilog8.png

"Charming."

JR

Deadguy2322
06-09-2007, 02:09 PM
I can give you the name of a good proctologist. It seems like you might have a bug up your ass.

I am not surprised you are well accquainted with a proctologist, seeing how far up your ass your head appears to be.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could see your own tonsils.

ArugulaZ
06-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Normally, I'd snap into this guy like a stick of grade-D meat by-products, but I've got too much respect for the editor of this site to turn this forum into a battlezone. I'm sure he'll be around shortly to clean up this mess, anyway.

JR

Deadguy2322
06-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Normally, I'd snap into this guy like a stick of grade-D meat by-products, but I've got too much respect for the editor of this site to turn this forum into a battlezone. I'm sure he'll be around shortly to clean up this mess, anyway.

JR

Go ahead. I just called Guycott out on one of the most idiotic fanboy statements of all time. Your defense of his drivel would likely be very amusing.

nadia
06-09-2007, 02:33 PM
I don't get it. What's idiotic about the statement? If you ask anyone who grew up in that era, they'd probably say "Yeah, that was a cool commercial." Miyamoto never came to my mind, that's for sure.

'til now, I guess.

ArugulaZ
06-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Go ahead. I just called Guycott out on one of the most idiotic fanboy statements of all time. Your defense of his drivel would likely be very amusing.

All right, how's this?

"I disagree with this statement, and I'll explain why..." is a very good counterpoint to an argument.

"DUDE! You got Miyamoto's pubes stuck in your teeth!!!" is a very BAD counterpoint to an argument. At this point, anything Guycott could say or do short of actually fellating Shigeru Miyamoto would make him look like the better man in this debate.

Happy to be of service!

JR

Deadguy2322
06-09-2007, 02:40 PM
All right, how's this?

"I disagree with this statement, and I'll explain why..." is a very good counterpoint to an argument.

"DUDE! You got Miyamoto's pubes stuck in your teeth!!!" is a very BAD counterpoint to an argument. At this point, anything Guycott could say or do short of actually fellating Shigeru Miyamoto would make him look like the better man in this debate.

Happy to be of service!

JR

Well, basically, how the fuck was that ad in any way accurate? Did people flood out into the streets and make a Mario face you could see from orbit?

nadia
06-09-2007, 02:42 PM
Well, it sure made me pine for a Nintendo like crazy (I came from a pretty poor-ass family).

I think what Tomm means is, at that point in history, everyone was damn well cheering for Mario.

'cept maybe you, I'm not sure.

In short: Not inaccurate!

openedsource
06-09-2007, 02:43 PM

JR

I do apologize for "feeding the troll". Lapse of judgment.

Hey, did you know that you can ignore a member of the forum in this classy new Vbulletin? If you go to User CP, there is a menu option for Buddy / Ignore Lists.

Tomm Guycot
06-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Deadguy, this may come as a shock to you, but statements like the one I made above were good-natured and said with a wink. At the time of that commercial, everyone in our generation had a secret world we all shared called: Nintendo games. The commercial was less about the game, and more about the sentiment among kids who would kill their own grandparents to get this game.

I know you LIKED to imagine me saying that statement like it was some kind of universal truth that you and other forumgoers could base your lives upon. But I wasn't. I was just making a friendly comment to friendly people on a friendly message board.

ie: not you, so much.

Also, have you played SMB3? It's a thoroughly amazing game. If you don't like it, then your _______ is so far ________ your _________ that ______ _______ ________.

WORD BANK:
Ass
Pubes
Penis
Vagina
Gay
Fag
Faggy
Fagtacular
(unintelligable grunt)
ad hominem
Halo
Donkey

openedsource
06-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Also, have you played SMB3? It's a thoroughly amazing game. If you don't like it, then your _______ is so far ________ your _________ that ______ _______ ________.

WORD BANK:

How'd you get a copy of my junior high school Mad Libs book?

Deadguy2322
06-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Deadguy, this may come as a shock to you, but statements like the one I made above were good-natured and said with a wink. At the time of that commercial, everyone in our generation had a secret world we all shared called: Nintendo games. The commercial was less about the game, and more about the sentiment among kids who would kill their own grandparents to get this game.

Fair enough. Perhaps I am just too tired to dig for meaning today.

But you're still a fanboy. :-p

ArugulaZ
06-09-2007, 02:51 PM
Well, basically, how the fuck was that ad in any way accurate? Did people flood out into the streets and make a Mario face you could see from orbit?

No, but anticipation for that game was very high. Rental stores in Michigan were offering the import version for players who didn't want to wait for it. When the game actually WAS released in the United States, it took forever to procure a copy from a rental store... I should know, because I had to wait for months after its release to play it.

There was a frothing demand for the game back in 1989, and for good reason... it was a return to the original Super Mario Bros. gameplay, and it pushed the NES harder than any game that had come before it. Maybe you don't understand the historical relevance of the game or how impressive it was when it first hit store shelves. You'll just have to trust me when I say that when Nintendo ran ads with millions of people across the planet united in their love for Super Mario Bros. 3, it was only a slight exaggeration.

JR

shivam
06-09-2007, 03:15 PM
i remember begging my parents to get me smb3 when it came out, and going to BJ's Warehouse in like framingham mass and plunking down 60 bucks for it.

and then i got the leaf after kicking the shell into the block that was attached to the ground, and it was all worth it.

god, just remembering my excitement at seeing what mario looked like makes me smile.

it helps that the game is legitimately awesome, even today.

alexb
06-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Somebody who diminishes the importance of SMB3 is someone who was obviously not there to see it firsthand.

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Nintendo's ads have been up and down.

Some of the NES era stuff was the best. Like the hallway full of TVs popping out, or the SMB2 ad.

Super Mario World ads were decent, but my favorite SNES-era ads were Super Metroid and Donkey Kong Country.

N64 was largely forgettable, except the Super Smash Bros. commercial. "So Happy Together" playing as costumed mascots beat the stuffing out of each other? Hard to beat.

Damn if I remember any GameCube ads.

The aforementioned GBA ads for "Who Are You?" as well as some of the Canadian ones (the rat in the maze) were pretty good, and the DS/Wii stuff has been pretty good as well.

Sony had it early on, "you are not e" and such, but lost it around PS2 time, I think, and they've been largely on the decline since, with some exceptions (Ratchet & Clank ads are favorites). Pretty hit and miss overall, until you get more recent.

Konami, they've done some laughably bad advertising. Good in the way it makes you laugh while trying to believe they spent money on it.

Capcom, not so much. Their Mega Man ads are the stuff of legend, BAD legend... except, ironically, for Legends. Not even nostalgia in 20 years are going to make "He's called the Blue Bomber because he's blue!" seem any better, in any way, shape, or form.

Of course, in the end, we know that no one will ever top SEGA's 16-bit days.

As SMB3 goes, I'm not even getting into this one.

And Reggie? Reggie is like the new millenium version of Howard Phillips; that is, a real-life mascot of Nintendo that helps sell the company.

...Nintendo Power so needs to make a "Reggie and Nester" comic. Even just once.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

jovewolf
06-09-2007, 05:13 PM
...Nintendo Power so needs to make a "Reggie and Nester" comic. Even just once.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Well great. Now I have an image of Reggie kicking Nesters ass and then taking down his name.

Actually I'd probably like to see that too.

nadia
06-09-2007, 05:57 PM
and then i got the leaf after kicking the shell into the block that was attached to the ground, and it was all worth it.

That first floor-block terrified me like some horrible genetic experiment gone wrong. "Is ... is that question block on the ground? This should not be!"

Excitemike
06-09-2007, 06:24 PM
This thread just reminds me how much I hate advertising.

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Well great. Now I have an image of Reggie kicking Nesters ass and then taking down his name.

Actually I'd probably like to see that too.

Maybe I can make a pitch.

"...and every comic will end with Nester in a crumpled heap on the ground with Reggie writing something on a notepad."

Maybe we should modernize a little more, though. Nester got old and went to college and stuff. We could give him a baby brother (now the same age he was during his time) named Wiister.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Tomm Guycot
06-09-2007, 11:44 PM
Wiilis.

(btw, you DO know he was in college and had a sister on Virtual Boy, right?)

alexb
06-10-2007, 12:01 AM
Let us not speak of Fucked Up Nearly-Kills-You Bowling.

Eusis
06-10-2007, 12:21 AM
I wonder if Nester would still be used by Nintendo if he stared in a game that wasn't for a doomed platform. And 'Lark' doesn't count.

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-10-2007, 03:17 AM
Wiilis.

(btw, you DO know he was in college and had a sister on Virtual Boy, right?)

Yep, I was aware of both, but I think that putting her in a crumpled heap would probably be frowned upon.

(And I did mention the college thing, so. ;P )

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Deadguy2322
06-10-2007, 06:32 AM
Somebody who diminishes the importance of SMB3 is someone who was obviously not there to see it firsthand.

Actually, I finished the Japanese version a year before it came out in North America. I was really disappointed in the way they lowered the difficulty for the US release.

The Japanese one was just like SMB, it didn't matter if you were just big, or if you had a power, getting hit made you small.

The American version just put you back one level of power, so if you had the tail or a Fire Flower, you just went back to big. That took a LOT of the challenge out of the later worlds.

Getting back to the topic of how awful Nintendo advertising can get, anybody else want to track down the parties reponsible for the Ice Blue Game Boy Pocket ads, with the annoying little kid taunting? Whoever conceived of, approved, and produced that spot deserves their own little corner of hell.