PDA

View Full Version : iPhone hitting later this month

Torgo
06-06-2007, 08:14 PM
I can't seem to find a concrete date, but the end of June seems to be the appointed time.

Now I seem to recall a few of you talking big about gladly spending the price of a PS3 on a phone. So my question is: Are you?

Excitemike
06-06-2007, 08:17 PM
My excitement died down pretty quickly once I realized it only had 8 gigs worth of memory. So, maybe $300 dollars less with at least 20 gigs and I'm sold.

Squall
06-06-2007, 08:29 PM
My brother the eternal mac geek (he has an Apple TV!) won one in an art contest, so I'll be looking foward to fiddling with it. As for me, I like my Windows Mobile smartphone due to actually being able to install my own software.

SNES & PS1 emulators! Top that iPhone!

blitzchamp
06-06-2007, 08:34 PM
No way I will ever get that phone. Theres far too many other thing to buy with that cash.

djSyndrome
06-06-2007, 09:10 PM
June 29.

And fuck no, I'm not paying PS3 prices for an iPod nano with a phone slapped on the back.

Lumber Baron
06-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Yeah, as currently fashioned, I can't get very excited about the iPhone. I think Apple's tipped to far to the left on the form ↔ function axis on this one.

openedsource
06-07-2007, 05:27 AM
They have confirmed that there will be 3rd party apps for it, but little beyond that.

Given how the iPod-developed games suck up the battery life of a normal iPod, I'd be afraid to even think of what a working emulator might do.

I've always been reluctant to pick up a model at launch, but if I had the cash lying around, I probably wouldn't hesitate to pick one up. Of course, I've been holding off on replacing my current busted cellphone, so I'm in the market for a new smartphone anyway.

BEAT
06-07-2007, 07:48 AM
I already have an Ipod Video and a Phone.

I see no reason to combine the two into a single unit that's less than the sum of its parts.

sraymonds
06-07-2007, 08:22 AM
I’m joining up with Cingular this fall to save money, since my girlfriend is on Cingular, and I need to start looking for a new phone. The iPhone looked mighty interesting, but the price was very offputting. I just need a phone with a QWERTY keypad dudes.

djSyndrome
06-07-2007, 08:40 AM
I’m joining up with Cingular this fall to save money, since my girlfriend is on Cingular, and I need to start looking for a new phone. The iPhone looked mighty interesting, but the price was very offputting. I just need a phone with a QWERTY keypad dudes.

I can tell you what not to get - stay far, far away from the Nokia E62. It's crippled by Cingular's horrible firmware. I bought one last week and decided within 48 hours that it was going back.

SDMX
06-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Honestly though, who's firmware doesn't suck these days? I've had to forcibly downgrade two different Verizon pieces this week for family so as to make sure that their bluetooth capability wasn't utterly crippled.

djSyndrome
06-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Honestly though, who's firmware doesn't suck these days? I've had to forcible downgrade two different Verizon pieces this week for family so as to make sure that their bluetooth capability wasn't utterly crippled.

Carrier-branded firmware is the devil. That said, the OS on my wife's SonyEricsson W600i is the most unobtrusive I've seen by far. A few undelete-able ringtones and the standard MEdiaNET shortcuts, and that's about it.

sraymonds
06-07-2007, 09:20 AM
I can tell you what not to get - stay far, far away from the Nokia E62. It's crippled by Cingular's horrible firmware. I bought one last week and decided within 48 hours that it was going back.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to tell the SO also. I was thinking about getting the Blackjack. Or a Blackberry for some reason. I don't even know what Blackberrys do.

If anyone gets an iPhone, y'all should post up a pic of you sidetalking with that thing.

Squall
06-07-2007, 12:48 PM
They have confirmed that there will be 3rd party apps for it, but little beyond that

They have confirmed that they are looking in to ways to open up some 3rd party abilities, but not at this time. Totally different.

Red Hedgehog
06-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Carrier-branded firmware is the devil. That said, the OS on my wife's SonyEricsson W600i is the most unobtrusive I've seen by far. A few undelete-able ringtones and the standard MEdiaNET shortcuts, and that's about it.

Yeah, I find Sony Ericcsons to generally be the best. They were some of the few phones that actually let me put my own ringtones on the phone through their bluetooth connection.

gamin
06-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Used AT&T which then became Cingular, and is now AT&T again.

My Motorola flip phone has a pretty unobtrusive os, I've been able to bluetooth plenty of ringtones and pictures to it.

I remember the old Sony Ericcson brick I used to use was good as well, and had fine bluetooth functionality. It even had a theme creator that I played around with a bit.

Calorie Mate
06-07-2007, 06:01 PM
I remember the old Sony Ericcson brick I used to use was good as well, and had fine bluetooth functionality. It even had a theme creator that I played around with a bit.

Oh man, I THINK I USE THIS PHONE RIGHT NOW. If it's the one I'm thinking of, I totally love it.

Anyway, in an ideal world, a phone that's also an mp3 player would have a decent (20 or 30gb minimum) space and would have great battery life. I think we're still a few years off from all this, though, so for now I'll be using a phone that does what it should (call people) well, and use a seperate mp3 player. I think the iPhone is lame and expensive, but it might be a push in the right direction for the future.

Excitemike
06-07-2007, 06:48 PM
iPhone is to the future what Mercury 7 was to space travel. Both are necessary, but I wouldn't want to be an early adopter.

openedsource
06-07-2007, 07:56 PM
Anyway, in an ideal world, a phone that's also an mp3 player would have a decent (20 or 30gb minimum) space and would have great battery life.

I'd rather see them get smart and offer streaming music anywhere over cellular networks (naturally, since a large part of carrier revenue is driven by ringtone and music downloads, I doubt we'll be seeing it too soon).

But, you know, with a full-fledged webkit-based flash-enabled browser, sites like lastfm should work right out of the box on an iPhone...

Vahn16
06-07-2007, 10:07 PM

I'm a Cingular user, and if you don't mind paying an arm and a leg, the Blackjack is pretty great. It's got all kinds of features the iPhone is missing, like 3G and (real) Windows compatability. Plus, it has that QWERTY keyboard that you're lusting after.

Squall
06-07-2007, 10:37 PM
I have one of those PPC-6700s (there are a few newer variants), and it rocks the house if you don't really want a phone, like me.

Phone-ness of it: mediocre, with a few plusses (search for places through MSN search, then click on the number to dial. Awesome)

PDA-ness of it: not too shabby, the keyboard is a huge boon.

The two combined? Awesome. Requires some level of computer geek to truly enjoy.

djSyndrome
06-27-2007, 12:47 PM
It's this Friday. Is anyone picking one up? I was going to, but decided my money would better be spent on SRPGs and prostitutes instead.

Excitemike
06-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Why did I sign up for e-mail updates? I DO NOT WANT YOUR PHONE ANYMORE, THXKBYE.

sraymonds
06-27-2007, 01:03 PM
I'm getting one...eventually. I'll wait until the work out the kinks, or when my current contract runs out. In October. Of 2007. Whichever comes first.

DarkBlueFlannel
06-27-2007, 02:52 PM
Iphone? Who cares about that?

I'm waiting for OS 10.5. Woohoo, $130 dollars for a sensible Finder with Cover Flow. It's like a dream come true.

Peach
06-27-2007, 05:12 PM
We don't have Cingular coverage up here, which is unfortunate, not because I want an iPhone, but because I want a Sony Ericsson.

As for the iPhone, while it's form factor is nice, it really doesn't do anything new, and they need to improve battery life, expand the internal memory, or add an microSD slot, among other changes. Granted, this is Apple, so we'll be hearing about a new, improved version within the year.

Jeanie
06-27-2007, 05:16 PM
Wait, so I get the pretentiousness of a Mac user mixed with the annoyance of a cell phone AND a two year contract? Sign me up!

/end sarcasm

Schmidt
06-27-2007, 05:45 PM
We don't have Cingular coverage up here, which is unfortunate, not because I want an iPhone, but because I want a Sony Ericsson.

As for the iPhone, while it's form factor is nice, it really doesn't do anything new, and they need to improve battery life, expand the internal memory, or add an microSD slot, among other changes. Granted, this is Apple, so we'll be hearing about a new, improved version within the year.
Battery life is the only thing I'm not hearing complaints about.

poetfox
06-27-2007, 06:01 PM
So, iPhone... yeah... that's okay. I'll take something with buttons. So, you know... I can maybe type. If I'm going to spend that much money on a phone, I'd like to type.
What I'm more interested about in this thread is...
I've had to forcibly downgrade two different Verizon pieces this week for family so as to make sure that their bluetooth capability wasn't utterly crippled.
So, yeah, I'm completely hating on this Verizon firmware too. However, unlike you, I seem to be out of the know as far as how to fix it. Hints?
Also, would... say... buying an unlocked phone and using it keep you free of all that bullshit? Does anyone know? I'm thinking of the future, when I am finally completely out of Verizon's clutches and looking for other options and wanting a phone that... you know... works.

Schmidt
06-27-2007, 06:31 PM
I've obviously never touched an iPhone, but reports from early reviews are that typing is no more difficult on the screen than any other more conventional keypad phone. There is an adjustment period, but after a couple days, they're right back up to speed.

Red Hedgehog
06-27-2007, 09:00 PM
Iphone? Who cares about that?

I'm waiting for OS 10.5. Woohoo, $130 dollars for a sensible Finder with Cover Flow. It's like a dream come true.

Man, ever since my die-hard Mac friend left for the Philippines I've lost my source for new Mac information. Tell me more about this sensible Finder with Cover Flow.

Schmidt
06-27-2007, 09:25 PM
http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/finder.html

My favorite source for Mac info is http://daringfireball.net His "Linked List" is updated pretty much daily with tidbits of news on everything from official Apple announcements to addressing unfounded rumors, and includes a short commentary/explanation, and he writes longer pieces for the front page. Some of the stuff may be too niche for general audiences, or it may be right up your alley when he gets into detailed analysis of UI elements of some 3rd party Mac utility, but he's always seemed very balanced and rational, and he writes well enough you might as well read it all anyway. He's certainly got me interested in stuff I never cared about before.

Red Hedgehog
06-29-2007, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I found that. It seems...okay. I thought they were going to make finder windows behave more like they did in OS 9, but I guess they are too entrenched with the new paradigm by now.

Still, moving between folders and windows in OS 9 was pretty much perfect. I love the new column view added in OS X, but I don't like how different the windows behave if you are using other views. Oh well, I guess that's why I pretty exclusively use the column view.

Parish
06-29-2007, 02:56 PM
I mucked around with the GDC beta of Leopard, and basically, yeah. OS X 10.5 has some really great features, but it's clear that they're trying to make Macs more palatable to the iPod-owning masses. Cover Flow in Finder is nothing -- the entire Finder has been reorganized and reskinned to feel like a Polished Aluminum-free iTunes experience.

djSyndrome
06-29-2007, 02:59 PM
I mucked around with the GDC beta of Leopard, and basically, yeah. OS X 10.5 has some really great features, but it's clear that they're trying to make Macs more palatable to the iPod-owning masses. Cover Flow in Finder is nothing -- the entire Finder has been reorganized and reskinned to feel like a Polished Aluminum-free iTunes experience.

Coverflow is a waste of time, and I pray that it can be disabled.

I'm also curious how quickly it runs compared to 10.4. The last thing I want is to spend thirteen Hamiltons and find out that it takes even longer to start up in the morning.

Parish
06-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Coverflow is optional. It's just another Finder view choice: columns, icons, list, coverflow. And even as a beta, the OS seems as snappy as (if not snappier than) 10.4. OS X pretty always gets faster with each iteration.

DarkBlueFlannel
06-29-2007, 06:17 PM
I really just hope they implement some Core Animation patches into Quartz Composer. That program is the most fun time-waster created by Apple, and I doubt if that many people actually know about it since it's hidden in the developer files.

Schmidt
06-29-2007, 08:42 PM
-- the entire Finder has been reorganized and reskinned to feel like a Polished Aluminum-free iTunes experience.
Which is to say, like every iTunes experience since version 5.

Squall
06-29-2007, 10:54 PM
I got to play with my brother's for a while today, and it was slick as hell, to be sure. I never expected it to be that small, either. I definitely prefer my HTC pda for versatility, but I have a very distinctive way of managing things. For everyone who is not me and has a bit of geek I wholeheartedly recommend it. For those who aren't a bit tech savvy I don't think you'll get quite the mileage it deserves. However, it's still worth it for the web browser. As it stands, there's nothing it can do my phone can't do x10, just with much, much, much less style. Except for that web browser. Damn. Anyone used Opera Mobile?

Also, I really don't like iTunes.

Schmidt
06-30-2007, 12:29 PM
My roommate got one, I just played with it for a while. It is awesome.

Pajaro Pete
03-26-2013, 10:39 PM
lol ..

Wolfgang
03-26-2013, 10:52 PM
I see

Zodar
03-26-2013, 10:56 PM
RIP Steve Job

Nucular
03-27-2013, 01:55 AM
RIP Steve Job

NOW we Have no JOBS,no HOPE,e,, and NO CASHE

Torgo
03-27-2013, 03:40 AM
When the crap did I make a topic about the iPhone.

June 6, 2007 lol

Aylor
03-27-2013, 04:09 AM
When the crap did I make a topic about the iPhone.

June 6, 2007 lol

For a moment there I thought this was a recent topic about the iphone 6 already making its way to stores, its selling point being like two nanometers thinner or something.

MagFlare
03-27-2013, 05:28 AM
Old threads make me feel like a time traveler.

"People of 2007! I am a visitor from the far-flung future -- a future so distant we've got nuclear-powered robots on an alien world and also a black president -- and I come bearing a warning: you probably ought to sell off your BP stock before the middle of 2010."

Ample Vigour
03-27-2013, 06:27 AM
NOW we Have no JOBS,no HOPE,e,, and NO CASHE

BEAT
03-27-2013, 06:32 AM
Forums save every thread so we can feel stupid when we see them again 6 years later

¡HarlequinPanic!
03-27-2013, 07:11 AM
I didn't know there were so many people here that used T-mobile!

pence
03-27-2013, 07:32 AM

Yep! Finally going to upgrade my HTC Desire Z from 2010. I would have upgraded to another android, but the new ones all fall into two categories: slow, or huge.

Zef
03-27-2013, 08:44 AM

I do! And I honestly, sincerely thought that was what this thread was about :(

Violentvixen
03-27-2013, 11:51 PM

Ha, I thought that's what this was about too.

cortbassist89
03-28-2013, 02:03 AM
It's so weird that modern smartphones didn't really come about until 2007. Thinking that until then all there was were Blackberries and Blackberry-clones. And Palms. And probably some kind of Nokia thing.

My point being, my how fast phones have changed.

¡HarlequinPanic!
03-28-2013, 06:36 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/01/pre_open_close.jpg

leave the memories alone

Karzac
03-28-2013, 07:58 AM
Phones with physical keyboards are the best. I'm so glad I still have one.

Torgo
03-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Lots of smartphones have good enough touchscreens now that I honestly don't mind using virtual keyboards any more, but yeah, I won't lie: "Physical keyboard" was the deciding factor in my last two phones. Actually it was really the only factor. Depending on what's out there we'll see if that holds true this year.

It probably will.

Falselogic
03-28-2013, 04:26 PM
I was wary when I got my first phone without a keyboard. But now I can't imagine going back to one. Slidekey and swiftkey and other apps make writing/spelling so much faster than tapping shit out on a keyboard

estragon
09-18-2016, 09:33 AM
I """like""" (i.e. don't like) how iOS 10 has changed what happens when you unlock your phone. Before, it took you directly to the first page of apps you have already meticulously arranged for usability. Now, it takes you to a schroedinger's cat situation that displays 8 and only 8 apps in constantly shifting in a state of quantum instability based on a very bad algorithm.

Do you try to click directly on Podcasts/Mail/Music before that icon transforms at the last minute, accidentally opening up one of Dong Nguyen's pre-Flappy Bird games you downloaded on a whim 3 years and haven't touched since but that your phone is pretty sure you probably want to play right now instead of changing your music selection, which you do multiple times every day? Or do you push away the constant flux of predicted apps away each time, every day becoming more frustrated with the pointless barrier created between the screen you already arranged to have frequent use apps on it because Apple Knows Better.

(I imagine/hope there's a way to turn this off? But what a stupid design... There's already a screen where users can arrange their apps! Just let that be the default! There is no need for the phone to guess here...)

conchobhar
09-18-2016, 09:55 AM
Are you swiping left on the unlock screen? That doesn't unlock your phone any longer; it's paging to the new widget screen. You have to press the home button again to unlock.

I don't like the change either.

Kirin
09-18-2016, 10:43 AM
Ew, that sounds awful. I usually unlock with touchID though, does that still go to your home screen? (I'm planning to hold of on updating to 10 for a while though; I pusposely just updated to the last 9.x update while I had the chance so I could wait for a bit, probably 'til a couple bugfix/tweak updates are out at least.)

conchobhar
09-18-2016, 10:51 AM
Yeah, TouchID will bypass the lock screen and take you right to the home screen, as before. I've always had trouble with it, though, so I don't have it enabled.

Mightyblue
09-19-2016, 08:36 PM
I had to help my boss change (back) how her music library was arranged, apparently one of the changes in 10 is that it switches individual song listing from Title to Artist. Since it's a default app, you have to go into the base device Settings menu and dig it out of your list, and then change it there.

jpfriction
09-19-2016, 09:10 PM
I had to help my boss change (back) how her music library was arranged, apparently one of the changes in 10 is that it switches individual song listing from Title to Artist. Since it's a default app, you have to go into the base device Settings menu and dig it out of your list, and then change it there.

Luckily, everyone immediately goes there to turn off Apple Music so they'll hopefully notice the other things you can change.

Patrick
09-20-2016, 11:05 AM
Apple added a search button to the iOS photos app, so now I can search all of my pictures and it'll show me only the ones that have dogs in them.

Finally, technology has reached its full potential.