PDA

View Full Version : Lunch Items

Violentvixen
01-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Lunch is definitely the hardest meal for me to plan. I usually don't have leftovers and if I do it's often something that's difficult to transport to or reheat at work. And the most portable stuff is often just plain crap.

I did pretty well for a while by grilling chicken on the weekend and then chopping it up and making salads, but that gets boring quick. Same with protein bars.

What do you guys tend to do for lunch?

Dadgum Roi
01-13-2010, 01:28 PM
What do you guys tend to do for lunch?

Sandwiches, as far as the eye can see. I'm really sick of it.

Aeonus
01-13-2010, 01:28 PM

TheSL
01-13-2010, 01:32 PM
Leftovers primarily, but then sandwiches and canned pastas to fill in the gaps. I go out for lunch too sometimes, but I need to be cutting back on that.

Dadgum Roi
01-13-2010, 01:34 PM
I didn't mind the sandwiches so much when I could duck out for lunch one or twice a week. But we went over to 30 minute lunches this summer and there is nowhere close enough for me to make it back in that amount of time, even if I did take out.

benjibot
01-13-2010, 01:48 PM
We usually make up a mess of stuff early in the week. Well, my wife does it mostly because I'm usually at work and she's getting mighty sick of it. So we're working on that.

Lunch is usually leftovers, technically. Rice, beans, greens. Lately we've been making a lot of wrap sammiches because they typically just involve throwing a bunch of stuff in a food processor.

DemoWeasel
01-13-2010, 01:50 PM

Aleanil
01-13-2010, 02:07 PM

For variety, I try turkey! Then ham! Then turkey again! And maybe a different type of mustard.

So unsatisfying =(

Dadgum Roi
01-13-2010, 02:09 PM
For variety, I try turkey! Then ham! Then turkey again! And maybe a different type of mustard.

So unsatisfying =(

Yeah, lately I've been putting a bit of Duke's mayonnaise on there with my mustard, and sometimes some Sriracha.

Balrog
01-13-2010, 02:14 PM
I'll either eat Lunchables, a sandwich, cereal or leftovers about 3 or 4 times a week. I'm pretty tired of that stuff though. I used to make a full-on dinner that I would break into 3 or 4 separate lunches but after about day 3 I started getting sick of it.

Dawnswalker
01-13-2010, 02:16 PM
I tried doing the whole "make a different, succulent meal for lunch the night before" thing. It lasted about half a week before I went back to the "leftovers/fruit/drink/buy lunch" system.

Maybe if I knew how to quickly and cheaply cook something other than rice + omelette (or rice + random leftover meat) it would have lasted longer.

vaterite
01-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Sandwiches, as far as the eye can see.

I love sandwitches, and their little dog too. Today I had a triple threat peanut butter, bananna and honey.

Usually we cook double portions of food on the weekend and save the rest for lunches during the week.

Violentvixen
01-13-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue, and the only one who isn't developing a hatred of sandwiches.

The food processor/wrap idea is interesting, and something I could feasibly do with leftovers the night before so I wouldn't have to think about it in the morning.

Seth Marati
01-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Almost everything I eat for lunch at work is leftover from the night before, or else made the night before for that exact purpose. Pasta and rice dishes are the most common meals. Reheating is never an issue, because I always eat it cold.

Comb Stranger
01-13-2010, 03:54 PM
$4 footlong from the Subway outside the school. Student discount, and whatnot.

Silent Noise
01-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Well I'm going to say that I often like to make pasta for lunch with some sort of sauce made with cream and cheese.

Lady
01-13-2010, 04:48 PM
instant soups/bowls when I'm in a rush/lazy
sandwiches normally
left-over Monday Madness or Taco Tuesday on tuesdays

Brickroad
01-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Top Ramen or Chef Boyardee. McDonald's on payday.

Peach
01-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Ramen, or - you guessed it - sandwiches.

Ethan
01-13-2010, 08:49 PM
I eat at a restaurant for lunch every weekday, because I am an idiot who does not like his money. My usual combos are:

-Cuban sandwich with black bean soup or yuca chips
-huge plate of dolmas, falafel, and other Middle-Eastern delights from a restaurant located in the back of a jewelry store
-4 tacos plus free chips
-mediocre vegetable tempura udon or soba
-cheapo grilled chicken with pita and potato salad
-amazing, pricey, mostly-organic sandwich on a pretzel roll
-Chipotle, on rare occasion

I spend $5-8 per meal – let's say $7 average. $35 a week. $1820 a year. Adjust it down for vacation days and days when I end up eating for free, and it's probably more like $1500 a year I blow on largely unsatisfying lunchbreak meals. Ugh. (The Cuban sandwich place is actually one of the best restaurants in the whole city, so that is the exception.)

dwolfe
01-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Leftovers. Stir-frys, chili, stews. Can freeze some portions for later.

Otherwise, take some bags of frozen veggies into work and place in freezer. Nuke to thaw/cook and eat with whatever else you bring to make the meal healthier.

redstuff
01-13-2010, 10:51 PM
I just eat the lunch that my school provides us. (It's not free, but the fee is something like under 40 bucks a month so it's much cheaper than eating out. And easier, too).

ThornGhost
01-14-2010, 08:13 AM
I also do the sandwiches thing. My basic lunch consists of:

Sandwich on whole wheat bread
Sunchips
Fruit dish
and usually water.

That combo seems to hit a pretty nice filling/healthy/cost ratio for me, but I try and mix it up some to keep from getting bored. I'll vary the sandwich between, say turkey and peanut butter, get different flavors of Sunchips, and vary the fruit between fruit cups and fruity yogurt.

Marfy
01-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Yogurt and granola is really filling and delicious, and there are so many different flavors of granola and yogurt out there that it's pretty easy to keep things diverse. I like it for breakfast, but sometimes have it for lunch with a piece of fruit, and hummus and rice cakes or crackers or something.

On the energy bar front, have you ever tried Larabars? They're raw/organic/vegan/whatever and actually taste like food! Coconut cream pie is my favorite.

Reinforcements
01-14-2010, 08:21 AM
If I don't bring leftovers to work I generally get a Cliff Bar from the little snack area we have... plus maybe a granola bar, or maybe popcorn. Fortunately today I have leftover quinoa w/ shrimp I made!

Dadgum Roi
01-14-2010, 08:29 AM
My problem with making extra-large portions to reheat later in the week is that I always get tired of them. Or I need condiments that are a pain in the ass to remember to take.

Calorie Mate
01-14-2010, 10:30 AM
I love sandwitches, and their little dog too. Today I had a triple threat peanut butter, bananna and honey.

Oh man, that's one of the best sandwiches. You win.

Anyway, yeah, I love me some sandwiches. My standard lunch lately has been:
- PB&J sandwich
- air popped potato chips (seriously these things (http://www.popchips.com/) are like the best chips ever, AND I'm told they're healthy)
- some sort of fruit (apples generally)

Wolfgang
01-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Sandwiches, as far as the eye can see. I'm really loving it.

I love sandwiches.

Calorie Mate
01-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Magellan was the best character on Eureka's Castle because he loved peanut butter sandwiches, and so did (do) I.

The-Bavis
01-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Here's the way to approach this problem. Go buy frozen organic microwave lunches from companies like Amy's Organics. Feel all awesome about the money you're saving. Then when you get sick of that food, run the numbers and see that the frozen stuff is just as much as eating out so just eat out anyway.

Dadgum Roi
01-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Here's the way to approach this problem. Go buy frozen organic microwave lunches from companies like Amy's Organics. Feel all awesome about the money you're saving. Then when you get sick of that food, run the numbers and see that the frozen stuff is just as much as eating out so just eat out anyway.

Yeah, the first thing I was going to say is that frozen, organic, microwave, and lunch do not add up to low price. Kashi's entire business model is shrinkwrapping and freezing Mexican dog turds, throwing in a couple of plantain chips and calling it a Mayan Sunrise, then charging ten bucks for it.

Rosewood
01-14-2010, 12:46 PM
I lived with my folks for a few months in between a lease and moving in with my SO. My mom (who was nice enough to include me in the lunch sack thing along with my dad and brother) was awesome at putting together lunches that were different from each other even over the course of a couple weeks. Pita and hummus, normal sandwiches, fresh fruit, soup, dessert, yogurt, leftovers from yesterday.

This is a skill that I'd like to develop. All I can manage currently are a frozen entrée that cost two bucks and a fruit cup. :| Oh yeah, and we go to Subway once a week.

Red Hedgehog
01-14-2010, 02:25 PM

I don't know. $3 is still less than any reasonable meal I eat out would be. Heck, even $5 would save money over eating out.

I like sandwiches.

ajr82
01-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Usually, I bake one or two chicken breasts at the beginning of the week, then I slice the chicken and bring chicken wraps, usually topped with spinach and some sort of condiment. Favourites include:
- Deli-style spicy mustard
- Hot sauce
- Hot mayonnaise (with Frank's Red Hot or Sriracha mixed in)
- Horseradish mustard
- Applebee's onion peel dip (mix mayonnaise, ketchup, horseradish, black pepper, cayenne pepper and oregano)
- A nice honey-mustard-mayonnaise sauce

Seriously, spinach is so much tastier than lettuce.

Usually I top the wrap off with one or two apples or rarely another fruit, some sweet mushy food (pudding, applesauce or yogurt), and a Weight Watchers brand individual chocolate cake.

Plus some carrot sticks or celery to snack on during the day.

Torgo
01-14-2010, 07:39 PM
I eat at a restaurant for lunch every weekday, because I am an idiot who does not like his money.
This is me, but more because I simply detest being at my job so much any more that I refuse to be there if I don't have to be. I would bring lunch, but I have nowhere to go sit that is not work. At least, nowhere inside.

If my car had funtioning a/c I would simply go park it somewhere and relax there. Alas, it is not to be.

Violentvixen
01-14-2010, 07:45 PM
- air popped potato chips (seriously these things (http://www.popchips.com/) are like the best chips ever, AND I'm told they're healthy)

My friend works for that company! They're the best.

estragon
01-14-2010, 07:53 PM
One thing I really like about my current office is that they sell often delicious bento for 400 yen with a pretty wide ranging rotating menu. Today there were fried oysters.

Kashi's entire business model is shrinkwrapping and freezing Mexican dog turds, throwing in a couple of plantain chips and calling it a Mayan Sunrise, then charging ten bucks for it.

Also: Delicious cereal.

Dadgum Roi
01-15-2010, 06:23 AM
Heck, even $5 would save money over eating out.

Maybe in New York, but not in the rest of the country. I could get a burger, barbecue sandwich, or a few tacos, and a drink for under $5.

NevznachaY
01-15-2010, 07:37 AM
Maybe in New York, but not in the rest of the country. I could get a burger, barbecue sandwich, or a few tacos, and a drink for under $5.

Wow.

Dadgum Roi
01-15-2010, 07:42 AM
I should probably clarify that I meant any one of the three, plus a drink.

NevznachaY
01-15-2010, 07:51 AM
Oh. (I thought you meant "sandwich AND burger/tacos"; I guess the wording was a bit ambiguous).

ThornGhost
01-15-2010, 08:58 AM
One thing I really like about my current office is that they sell often delicious bento for 400 yen with a pretty wide ranging rotating menu. Today there were fried oysters.

Man, a commissary at work would be bad ass. Only when I was working at a big National Lab did I have access to a livable restaurant at work. It was great because they didn't try and make too much money off of the employees, and the prices were pretty reasonable.

Actually, I take that back, I did have another lunch-at-work experience. In college, my school ran a K-12 school on campus and for one semester I was a student worker there. I helped monitor the kids on the playground and at lunch, and was told I could eat in the school cafeteria while I watched them. School lunch is not very good, but very cheap.

Elfir
01-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Due to my braces, sandwiches aren't practical. The bread gets stuck and looks really gross unless I spend 10-15 minutes with a mirror and a cleaning impliment.

This week it's tunafish and roasted vegetable Ritz crackers. It's good if you ignore the mercury. And remember to bring a can opener.

I usually end up going to Panera multiple times per week. It's better than most of the fast food options around here but I'd like to bring lunch more often.

Really braces ruins a lot of options. Can't even eat baby carrots without risking disaster.

Lady
01-15-2010, 10:52 AM
I ran the numbers on my sandwiches, and they come out to about $9/wk. So much for eating out, unless it's less than $3 at the max (or I really want to)

Red Hedgehog
01-17-2010, 01:35 AM

I'm going to reverse that and so only in Carolina (or wherever you live). Every city I've lived in, the best you could get for $5 was generally pretty shitty. (Or far away. How I wished I worked near the taco carts when I lived in Salt Lake).

Lucas
01-17-2010, 01:54 AM
Being able to make a large, fresh lunch and have a light dinner in turn is one thing I will miss about unemployment. Pizza, hot pasta, fresh burritos with all homemade (or at least home prepared) ingredients, etc. Of course, I haven't been taking advantage of this ability lately - I skipped lunch and didn't even notice until six or so today - so perhaps I deserve to lose it.

Yes, perhaps I deserve to find a job and have to eat lousy sandwiches for lunch.

Dadgum Roi
01-17-2010, 06:30 AM
I'm going to reverse that and so only in Carolina (or wherever you live). Every city I've lived in, the best you could get for $5 was generally pretty shitty. (Or far away. How I wished I worked near the taco carts when I lived in Salt Lake).

Admittedly I haven't really been to large cities outside of the South as an adult, but you can't get some kind of hot sandwich and a drink for $5? Tacos are usually like $1 each.

If you go to somewhere like McD's and add in fries and shit, yeah, you're up above $5 pretty quickly.

estragon
01-17-2010, 06:59 AM
If you go to somewhere like McD's and add in fries and shit, yeah, you're up above $5 pretty quickly.

PROTIP: You don't actually need that soda.

Sets and value meals are a horrible trick to get you to waste money on sugar water.

KCar
01-17-2010, 08:49 AM
The only order I ever make at Mickey D's is two double cheese burgers.

It's the right amount of wrong.

Red Hedgehog
01-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Admittedly I haven't really been to large cities outside of the South as an adult, but you can't get some kind of hot sandwich and a drink for $5? Tacos are usually like $1 each.

Thinking about it a little more, in most cities you can get an above average core item (sandwich, burger, falafel, gyro, slice of pizza, etc.) for $4-$5, so you can make it work if you're content with water and no sides. Part of my issue is that I like to have bigger lunches and smaller dinners because it's healthier.

Tacos are one of the few foods that are good and still super cheap. I really need to check out the taco truck at 14th and 8th Avenue.

gamin
01-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Most entrees at a food court here (without any drinks) is at least $5, if not $6 or $7 after tax. There's a hot dog stand near my work that sells basic hot dogs for $3.50, but that's an awful lot for very little.

So I avoid ever going out for lunch if I can, even if it means not eating anything at all. Because really, even though I think I'm hungry at lunch, I've noticed that when I come home after work I feel exactly the same, regardless or whether I ate lunch or not. So I think it's just my body's expectation of lunch that makes me hungry more then anything else.

SEanEF
01-17-2010, 02:28 PM

The cheapest I can get a taco around me is $1.25. I think one place even charges $1.75. These are actual taco's, not fast food/restaurant ones. And most of the lunch trucks, when I was working, were run by asians so the asian choices were usually the better option.

When I was working, I managed to avoid sandwiches most of the time, not because I don't like them, but because I knew I'd get sick of them. Most of the time I did a combination of leftovers, some type of frozen thing once or twice a week (different items) and then something from fast food (never fries or soda, usually 4 bucks spend, max) once a week. The frozen thing could be anything from a costco chicken bake, pot pie, hot pocket, french bread pizza, lean cuisine entree or whatever I could find at a reasonable price that didn't look ridiculously horrible while I was shopping. Throw together something specific for lunch once a week. Managed to stave off boredom fairly well.

Violentvixen
01-17-2010, 04:52 PM

I remember that one place in Boulder used to have "$2 tacos for 2 hours" or something from 10-midnight on a weekday. The place would be packed and it quickly went up to $3.

The Subway $5 footlongs are probably the only thing I could do for $5, even the local super cheap Thai place is $6-8.

Dadgum Roi
01-17-2010, 05:57 PM
Thai is on the expensive side here. I spent $40 tonight(on take out). Two pad thais, a vegetable stir fry, and a beef satay appetizer.

Gredlen
01-17-2010, 08:57 PM
There's this place next to where I'm staying for the semester that has really cheap bento. I got one with scrambled eggs, half a hot dog, grilled salmon, two big scoops of rice, and a small salad for $4. It's awesome.

Of course, lunch anywhere else is easily over $7, especially since it's downtown Waikiki.

Torgo
01-17-2010, 10:14 PM
PROTIP: You don't actually need that soda.

Sets and value meals are a horrible trick to get you to waste money on sugar water.
This is beyond true. When people say, "You're paying for the cup," they're exaggerating, but not by much. They are, in fact, counting on your to order one. Bring your own water or whatever and simply order an item or two off the value menu. You're still giving Ronald your money, but your kind of screwing with his food cost percentage in the process.

You know, if you're into subtle ways of sticking it to the man, pyrrhic victories, and all that.

benjibot
01-18-2010, 12:36 PM
(The Cuban sandwich place is actually one of the best restaurants in the whole city, so that is the exception.)

Are you talking about 90 Miles? Because you are right about that. They opened one across the street from the wife's work not long ago.

Hummus is another good idea. You can make it in a matter of minutes and all of the ingredients are cheap. Plus if you make it yourself you can play around with the other flavors. I really ought to make more if it myself.

(I have this recipe for "Southern hummus" which uses black-eyed peas and peanut butter in lieu of the chickpeas and tahini.)

Trader Joe's has these great little noodle and rice boxes that sell for $1-$2. All of the noodles and rice are fresh-packed and not dehydrated. The curry box is pretty awesome.

blitzchamp
01-18-2010, 12:49 PM
I usually run late to school...so I end up buying something from the food court at my university, which doesn't have many good options (Moes: makes me feel sick everytime, Sbarro Pizza: so greasy that it will soak through the box they put it in and napkins can't wipe off the grease and Miso Sushi: bad rice and food posioning chances go up quite a bit there) or Burger King & Subway which are on a scattered part of campus.

Violentvixen
01-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Hummus is another good idea. You can make it in a matter of minutes and all of the ingredients are cheap. Plus if you make it yourself you can play around with the other flavors. I really ought to make more if it myself.

(I have this recipe for "Southern hummus" which uses black-eyed peas and peanut butter in lieu of the chickpeas and tahini.)

While I don't know about your Southern Hummus thing, making hummus seems like a really good idea. Any other recipes you'd recommend?

Dadgum Roi
01-18-2010, 01:27 PM

Do what?

I have had a butterbean hummus, though. Very good.

benjibot
01-19-2010, 10:26 AM
The southern hummus actually came out tasting pretty close to traditional chickpea and tahini hummus. It still had garlic and lemon juice so it was just a different way of coming at the same thing.

I'll dig up some recipes. Every cookbook we own has at least one or two I think.

Dadgum Roi
01-19-2010, 10:29 AM
I would be interested, especially as I have access to some badass local peanut butter.

http://shop.mfpnuts.com/

Nicholai
01-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Lunch:

Sandwich (wheat bread, meat, slice of cheese, mustard/miracle whip)
Fruit snacks
Sun chips/pretzels/other chip
Diet Dr. Pepper or normal if I need a sugar kick
small package of peanut butter crackers or an apple or string cheese

That's my lunch most every day and has been for years. Once or twice a month I get Subway which is the only place near work.

Luckily I don't get tired of sandwiches. Very rarely I'll have leftovers.

Dadgum Roi
01-19-2010, 12:20 PM
miracle whip

Reminds me...good condiments make a big difference on a sandwich.

I present to you all, Mayo of the Gods:

http://static.open.salon.com/files/dukes1245859234.gif

upupdowndown
01-19-2010, 08:47 PM
One trick I'll do sometimes is cook two big batches of white beans and black beans in tandem. While the beans are simmering in their separate pots, I'll saute up some onions and garlic and divide between the two pots. I then add some tomatoes to the white bean pot along with basil, oregano, and rosemary, making it an italian white bean stew. the black beans i'll add some oj and microwaved sweet potato chunks to along with plenty of cumin, chili powder, hot sauce, etc. Once i use an immersion blender on the black bean pot I've got brazilian black bean stew. I can then divvy up the two types of stew and freeze lunch size portions. since they taste so different, I can have stew two to four times a week and just supplement with sandwiches here or there.

this method takes a little forethought and you need to be available around the kitchen for the bulk of an afternoon, but it's a nice way to spend some time on the weekend, it's tasty, it's low fat, and it is CHEAP.

EDIT: holy god I cannot spell anymore

Lady
01-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Reminds me...good condiments make a big difference on a sandwich.

My dad used to make me miracle whip sandwiches when I was in preschool. No, I requested them. He must've been at a loss when I told him I stopped liking baloney. (does it count as bologna if it's sold by kraft?)

Violentvixen
01-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Interesting. I normally hate sweet potato but that really sounds tasty.

upupdowndown
01-19-2010, 09:48 PM

once you've blended the soup, most of the chunks of sweet potato go away and you're just left with a light sweetness in back of the taste of black beans and Latin spices.

do you hate sweet potatoes every which way but loose? Or do you just have really bad associations with candied yams? Roasting them peeled and chunked also works well - for the soup or just eating on their own. if you're super vehemently anti-sweet potato in any way, you could just up the OJ in the soup, and throw in some chunks of regular potato for texture.

benjibot
01-20-2010, 12:09 AM

What?! I don't get you.

We get it. You're from the South.

Dadgum Roi
01-20-2010, 04:17 AM
Duke's is Southern? I mean, exclusively?

Paul le Fou
01-20-2010, 05:53 AM
Man I'm really happy I work at a school. I get school lunch every day. Which is great because not only do I not have to think about what to eat/expend any effort on preparation, but it's also a semi-balanced remotely healthy meal, as opposed to the shit I would undoubtedly eat if left to my own devices (that is to say, dinner).

Also, while we don't have "regular" sweet potatoes here we do have satsuma imo, AKA sweet potatoes. And those are also pretty got-dang rad.

fff I love me some sweet potatoes.

Violentvixen
01-20-2010, 10:35 AM
do you hate sweet potatoes every which way but loose? Or do you just have really bad associations with candied yams? Roasting them peeled and chunked also works well - for the soup or just eating on their own. if you're super vehemently anti-sweet potato in any way, you could just up the OJ in the soup, and throw in some chunks of regular potato for texture.

It's too sweet, the texture is gross, etc. There's the occasional sweet potato chip I like but that's about it.

I'm realizing that most of the time I've had it it's been the dominant (or only) taste in the dish, and that might be the issue. I should try it out as a flavoring more often.

upupdowndown
01-20-2010, 04:44 PM
sweet potato trauma

Try the soup. I also like roasting sweet potato chunks, chilling them, and putting them in salads, but it sounds like that may be a little much for you.

estragon
01-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Today the bento menu at work was miso mackerel. It was fantastic.