PDA

View Full Version : Mafia: The forum game

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36]

Taeryn
04-13-2017, 11:43 AM
I'm willing to try either one. I honestly wouldn't care if the game was a hot mess and fell apart. I play to win, but I've never cared if I win or lose.

I promise I won't metagame.
(this is a metagame ploy to ensure I don't have to do any analysis in an eventual game)

Johnny Unusual
04-14-2017, 06:14 AM
I'd give it a go. Both sound interesting.

Ample Vigour
04-14-2017, 05:31 PM
Who was it we sent to that bizarre multi-forum mafia tournament? The competition thread had like 10,000 posts in an hour.

aturtledoesbite
04-14-2017, 06:48 PM
Who was it we sent to that bizarre multi-forum mafia tournament? The competition thread had like 10,000 posts in an hour.

Guild.

Falselogic
04-14-2017, 09:34 PM
I think Eden was there too but representing a different forum. Those people couldn't handle our game. They killed him and then Banned him before the end of first day I think.

Egarwaen
04-15-2017, 10:14 AM
I think Eden was there too but representing a different forum. Those people couldn't handle our game. They killed him and then Banned him before the end of first day I think.

To... Make sure he couldn't return as a Mafia Vampire?

Umby
04-15-2017, 10:40 AM
It wasn't a wooden stake, so no promises there!

gahitsu
04-15-2017, 11:16 AM
Guild.

Which one? (Eden or Guild, I mean.)

aturtledoesbite
04-15-2017, 11:49 AM
Which one? (Eden or Guild, I mean.)

As False said, Eden was there representing another group; Guild represented us.

Or was this a joke about Eden also posting like 3000 Mafia posts a minute, in which case, fair point. :P

Umby
04-15-2017, 12:08 PM
I mean, I've played real life mafia with Eden for a long time, and that's more or less how he plays in real life, too.

...of course, he's also spot on with most of his reads, so I don't mind it!

botticus
04-15-2017, 05:31 PM
Last edited by aturtledoesbite; Yesterday at 08:49 PM. Reason: You practically answered yourself in your own post.

LOL achieved.

Solitayre
04-18-2017, 08:53 AM
The lyrics to Blind Guardian's 'Sacred Worlds' sound like they're describing a really high-stakes mafia game.

Falselogic
04-18-2017, 10:28 AM
Do I make a voting thread? Is there legit interest?

aturtledoesbite
04-18-2017, 03:04 PM
Do I make a voting thread? Is there legit interest?

i think the answer to the second question can be determined by the results of the first

if we don't have enough votes to actually run a game, then we can let the voting thread die, though at this point, you might as well put up the two games we have

Gerad
04-18-2017, 03:29 PM
i think the answer to the second question can be determined by the results of the first

if we don't have enough votes to actually run a game, then we can let the voting thread die, though at this point, you might as well put up the two games we have

I'll throw in a vanilla-ish micromafia proposal as well. Expect the setup to be similar to this (http://www.talking-time.net/showthread.php?t=15747). Flavor TBD later.

aturtledoesbite
04-18-2017, 10:39 PM
Expect the setup to be similar to this (http://www.talking-time.net/showthread.php?t=15747).

That was a fun memory. I actually didn't remember much of anything about the game, and when I glanced over the OP's player list, I only really saw how it had ended on day 3 and didn't pay attention to who or how.

I'd even forgotten about my role until I got to the point where I revealed. Good job, me.

Yimothy
04-19-2017, 06:37 AM
I'm up to page four of that thread now and I gotta say that I miss mafia, and more particularly I miss playing it with you all. Thanks for the good times.

That said I don't see myself having time to play like ever again. Maybe when my kids are older.

aturtledoesbite
04-20-2017, 07:51 PM
OKAY LET'S VOTE (http://talking-time.net/showthread.php?t=19058)

Egarwaen
04-20-2017, 08:29 PM
OKAY LET'S VOTE (http://talking-time.net/showthread.php?t=19058)

No! The line is "It's Voting Time"!

Falselogic
04-21-2017, 02:30 PM
Come on people vote! Let's play some mafia!

Falselogic
05-17-2017, 06:45 PM
I think that went rather well! Anyone up for more?

Johnny Unusual
05-17-2017, 07:03 PM
Sure.

Mogri
05-17-2017, 07:05 PM
I'd play. Could run, but would rather not.

Gerad
05-17-2017, 08:14 PM
I'd play. Could run, but would rather not.

I'd run one! Pretty vanilla, maybe the micromafia set? I'm happy to run whatever though.

Thinking of making an actual rule out of you can't suspect anyone based on what they've done in past games (not that it was at all a problem in this one, just something people dislike in general). I can vote Falselogic with no reason at all stated, I can vote Falselogic and say I think he sounds like he's lying, but I can't vote Falselogic and say that he never tries when he town but now he's trying so kill him. Maybe a warning for first offense and then forced silence other than voting for a day, something like that?

What do you guys think?

Falselogic
05-17-2017, 08:27 PM
I'd run one! Pretty vanilla, maybe the micromafia set? I'm happy to run whatever though.

Thinking of making an actual rule out of you can't suspect anyone based on what they've done in past games (not that it was at all a problem in this one, just something people dislike in general). I can vote Falselogic with no reason at all stated, I can vote Falselogic and say I think he sounds like he's lying, but I can't vote Falselogic and say that he never tries when he town but now he's trying so kill him. Maybe a warning for first offense and then forced silence other than voting for a day, something like that?

What do you guys think?

I'd support it.

aturtledoesbite
05-17-2017, 08:28 PM
i would just like to go on record to say

my suspicion of false last game was not because he was acting different than his meta in prior games, but because it seemed very "un-Flawgic" in general

Falselogic
05-17-2017, 08:32 PM
i would just like to go on record to say

my suspicion of false last game was not because he was acting different than his meta in prior games, but because it seemed very "un-Flawgic" in general

That's a meta-argument turtle.

Gerad
05-17-2017, 08:36 PM
That's a meta-argument turtle.

It's a meta-meta-argument!

Alpha Werewolf
05-18-2017, 02:02 AM
I don't really see how you can enforce that kind of rule. Especially considering the reverse case, where your *defense* is meta-based, which is not disallowed under these rules. Take this case:

Me: "Rufferto is acting in a way that makes no sense for a townie to act in so I vote Rufferto"
Rufferto: "But I do act that way as town. I just did last game! In the exact same way!"
Me: "Well I'm not allowed to allow meta considerations to impact my vote so I'm just going to ignore your defense."

It also seems like a prime situation for players going "Hang on! That vote was clearly meta based but was still counted! Therefore this lynch is illegitimate and shouldn't have happened!".

That said, if the concept is that the mod retains discretion to not count votes but also to not give a shit about players asking them to not count votes, I ca accept that.

Falselogic
05-18-2017, 02:08 AM
I don't really see how you can enforce that kind of rule. Especially considering the reverse case, where your *defense* is meta-based, which is not disallowed under these rules. Take this case:

Me: "Rufferto is acting in a way that makes no sense for a townie to act in so I vote Rufferto"
Rufferto: "But I do act that way as town. I just did last game! In the exact same way!"
Me: "Well I'm not allowed to allow meta considerations to impact my vote so I'm just going to ignore your defense."

It also seems like a prime situation for players going "Hang on! That vote was clearly meta based but was still counted! Therefore this lynch is illegitimate and shouldn't have happened!".

That said, if the concept is that the mod retains discretion to not count votes but also to not give a shit about players asking them to not count votes, I ca accept that.

Im okay with disqualifying any action made based on a meta argument.

Alpha Werewolf
05-18-2017, 02:13 AM
Im okay with disqualifying any action made based on a meta argument.

Yeah, I totally get that! I'm just saying it's going to be both a. really difficult to enforce, and b. open to "abuse" by a determined player.

Basically it's potentially really hard on the mod and it has to be taken into consideration.

aturtledoesbite
05-18-2017, 02:33 AM
frankly

i don't think mafia works as well in a vacuum

Taeryn
05-18-2017, 06:28 AM
the thing I think should not be allowed is:
- always lynch "x" player first
its basically telling one player they aren't allowed to play the game. Its unfriendly. Plus its just bad strategy by the town.

I'm willing to try a game where meta is literally not allowed, but I don't want to be the person who has to make that determination. It sounds difficult to enforce. But hey, one of the things I like about mafia here is we try all kinds of different set ups.

Gerad
05-18-2017, 08:52 AM

My plan would be to just penalize people if they make that kind of argument about other. Defense of self I don't really care about. And it doesn't really matter to me what the vote is actually based on, more that they don't use that type of reasoning to justify it in-thread.

Solitayre
05-18-2017, 11:36 AM

What do you guys think?

Unenforceable. And probably not necessary.

Also, I would never play in a game that had such a rule.

Falselogic
05-18-2017, 11:41 AM

okay

Gerad
05-18-2017, 12:15 PM

I thought you weren't playing because you hated the metagame?

Solitayre
05-18-2017, 01:30 PM
If Solitayre and Gerad are both playing, and Solitayre thinks Gerad is acting like he did as mafia in a previous game, what does Solitayre do now?

He either has to pretend he doesn't suspect Gerad and not make a case even if it turns out Gerad was mafia, or make something up to cover for his real suspicions. You can't disallow meta reads, you can only forbid players to act on them, or force players to disguise them, both of which to me, sounds onerous and not fun.

Falselogic
05-18-2017, 05:48 PM
If Solitayre and Gerad are both playing, and Solitayre thinks Gerad is acting like he did as mafia in a previous game, what does Solitayre do now?

He either has to pretend he doesn't suspect Gerad and not make a case even if it turns out Gerad was mafia, or make something up to cover for his real suspicions. You can't disallow meta reads, you can only forbid players to act on them, or force players to disguise them, both of which to me, sounds onerous and not fun.

Go on something other than his gut which is notoriously wrong and only exists because of confirmation bias and remembering the hits and forgetting the misses.

JBear
05-19-2017, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I like the intent behind this change, but I too think that's it's not really practical. In Mafia as in all things, I like being me, and it seems kind of awkward to ask other people to ignore that. To my mind, the only way that you take the meta out of mafia is that anonyMafia that Dizzy was clamouring for for years. And even then, I bet everyone starts pretending to be other people and making jokes about the meta.

ETA: At a basic level, Mafia is about identifying changes in behavior based upon hidden roles. It doesn't seem fair to tell people that they need to identify changes without citing a person's normal behavior as a baseline.

Destil
05-19-2017, 11:50 AM

For what it's worth these are my own thoughts on this topic, word for word.

Gerad
05-19-2017, 01:24 PM
OK. Being that there's more enthusiasm to kill this proposal than there seems to be to actually play mafia, forget it.

muteKi
05-19-2017, 01:27 PM
perhaps I could just join this game of mafia

since I've never played a mafia before nobody will know if I'm lying or telling the truth

Alpha Werewolf
05-19-2017, 01:52 PM
How about we do something Really Bloody Stupid.

This has been basically pitched way *way* back, and it ought to be a quick and silly game, so howsabout:

Twitter Mafia

Standard mafia rules except:
1. Days are 48 hours. Nights are 24 hours.
2. Posts must conform to Twitter Rules:
2a. Only the following posts are allowed: Posts with 140 or less characters, OR, Posts with up to 4 images, but not both in the same post.
2b. Players may only quote one other post in their posts using the QUOTE BBcode. Quote pyramids count as 1 quote. Quotes do not count for the word or image restriction.
2c. Players who try to screw with this system by for instance posting images of long posts may be reprimanded at the mod's discretion.
2d. No posting twice in a row, or any reason.

Roles:
I'm not sure actually. This seems like it'd work best as a small game, but there's plenty of extremely silly powers I *could* think up for it. Regardless, I'm going to just suggest a fairly vanilla setup - say, Mafia have one Saboteur ("Roleblocker") while town have a Doctor and a Cop, assuming roughly 12 players? If a lot of players sign up I'm sure I can think up enough Silly Shit for this setup. I'd love some input on this!

Johnny Unusual
05-19-2017, 02:21 PM
I got real excited when I thought that said "Twister Mafia".

JBear
05-19-2017, 02:26 PM
I got real excited when I thought that said "Twister Mafia".
Right Foot -> Mouth

Alpha Werewolf
05-19-2017, 02:33 PM
Edited that post to add the critical posting rule I forgot -

2d. No posting twice in a row, or any reason.

aturtledoesbite
05-19-2017, 03:06 PM
I'm up for Twitter Mafia, but I'm curious.

What's the penalty for not following one/more of those rules?

Alpha Werewolf
05-19-2017, 03:19 PM
I'd probably warn on the first offense and forcibly eject from the game on the second, unless it seemed like the rule was broken on purpose in which case I'd eject instantly

Eject as in "lightning suddenly strikes and kills *player* . Carry on."

Solitayre
11-14-2017, 09:06 AM
*dusts off this thread*

Hello? Is this thing on? Anybody there? Would anybody play if I ran a game?

What number are we even up to now?

Gerad
11-14-2017, 09:07 AM
I'd play, but I won't have a ton of time to spend on it. I think I'm done proposing games after the reaction I got last time.

aturtledoesbite
11-14-2017, 10:00 AM
i'll play

JBear
11-14-2017, 11:58 AM
I would probably play.

Taeryn
11-14-2017, 12:35 PM
assuming it would start after thanksgiving, I would play.

Solitayre
11-14-2017, 12:53 PM
Waiting until after Thanksgiving would be fine with me.

How's some Zelda flavor sound?

JBear
11-14-2017, 12:55 PM
Xmv0ypGJFnQ

aturtledoesbite
11-14-2017, 01:16 PM
only if the game starts by offscreening link's death and zelda has gets to be the hero

Falselogic
11-14-2017, 03:48 PM
I'd play, but I won't have a ton of time to spend on it. I think I'm done proposing games after the reaction I got last time.

What reaction? And who reacted? All the mafia players are gone or banned. There's like four of us.

Gerad
11-14-2017, 07:16 PM
It's on this page and the previous. Not a big deal but personally frustrating.

Agree, there's not much interest left. Micros are probably the best we can hope for.

Mogri
11-14-2017, 08:00 PM
Would anybody play if I ran a game?

https://media0.giphy.com/media/6qmOIwxEJnt96/giphy-downsized.gif

Falselogic
11-14-2017, 11:28 PM
It's on this page and the previous. Not a big deal but personally frustrating.

Agree, there's not much interest left. Micros are probably the best we can hope for.

All ban anyone who complains about a game you nominate or run.

Johnny Unusual
11-16-2017, 06:59 PM
I'm up for whatever.

Solitayre
11-17-2017, 07:05 AM
So I'm counting five people. We'd need 8-9 to play.

Falselogic
11-17-2017, 07:57 AM
So I'm counting five people. We'd need 8-9 to play.

Im counting 7:

Gerad
Jbear
Turtle
Taeyrn
Falselogic
Mogri
Johnny

Solitayre
11-17-2017, 08:00 AM
I can't count. You haven't actually said you wanted to play though!

Falselogic
11-17-2017, 08:01 AM

you should always assume I am playing mafia unless I specifically say I am not playing it.

Falselogic
11-17-2017, 08:01 AM

lynch Solitayre It's clear he's trying to throw the game here.

JBear
11-17-2017, 08:04 AM
you should always assume I am playing mafia unless I specifically say I am not playing it.
That would explain the hostility.

Solitayre
11-17-2017, 08:07 AM
I'd vote FL but he's only this aggressive when he's a power role.

Damnit, I was hoping maybe I'd forgotten the meta....

Falselogic
11-17-2017, 08:12 AM

Damnit, I was hoping maybe I'd forgotten the meta....

It's funny you say that because I completely have including my own style of play...

JBear
11-17-2017, 08:13 AM
I mean, he is a mod, so that checks out...

Gerad
11-17-2017, 08:23 AM
If he talks a lot, lynch him. If he's really quiet, lynch him.

EZ game.

Solitayre
11-17-2017, 08:48 AM
Anyway, two more players would be ideal. Not planning to start until next weekend so no rush.

I'll write up a formal pitch either tonight or tomorrow.

Solitayre
11-27-2017, 11:04 AM
We're still below the minimum we'd need to get this going, though we're close.