PDA

View Full Version : Drinking Time! Talking about Alcoholic Beverages

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Falselogic
01-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Inspired by the booze talk over in the Thread of Random Discontent

I myself prefer Ciders, especially Fox Barrel a Northern California Brewer... When I do drink beer though I prefer dark beers, stouts and such. I'm an avid consumer of Guinness but there are some others that I drink as well.

When it comes to wines for white it's usually a Chardonnay and red is either Pinot Noir or Syrah

and you?

Wolfgang
01-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Woodchuck Green Apple cider is exquisite. I usually like ales for beer - not a huge fan of the bitterness of stouts. Or alcohol in general, which is why I'm a Girl Drink Drunk, with a shot of Jaeger chased with an amaretto sour being a club favorite.

Falselogic
01-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Woodchuck Green Apple cider is exquisite. I usually like ales for beer - not a huge fan of the bitterness of stouts. Or alcohol in general, which is why I'm a Girl Drink Drunk, with a shot of Jaeger chased with an amaretto sour being a club favorite.

I'm quite fond of Amaretto myself though I usually just drink it with milk, soy or almond if I can get it. At bars I'm a a whiskey and ginger guy or highballs.

I've drank Woodchuck ciders but found them too sweet and not as flavorful as Fox Barrel, but then I don't know if you can find Fox Barrel outside of CA... There are a number of British Ciders that are good. Speaking of Ciders and Stouts a Snakebite is a great drink! Guinness Drought floated on top of cider

SDMX
01-20-2010, 01:56 PM
While only technically alcoholic, this (http://sugarbomber.com/city/other-cities/shakin-jesse/) is perhaps the most concentrated form of joy you can get without drugs.

Ales. Vodka, Scotch. Starting to get a taste for wine, which I'm sure will bankrupt me.

Dawnswalker
I'm not gonna lie, the talk in the other thread of how shitty Japanese beer is made me mentally deduct points from Japan in the "Places to Visit Someday" list.

Beers I like (not a complete list, obviously):

Kokanee
Stella Artois
Heineken
Newcastle (all varieties except dark)

Beers that are okay:

Sleeman's Honey Brown
Corona
Molson Canadian
Grolsh (This is the only one on the "okay" list I could find in the U.K.)

And if you're ever in Canada and you need to try a terrible, terrible beer, look for Le Fin Du Monde. It's the one with Satan paddling a canoe on the label!

Elfir
Orange vodka + orange juice + orange soda = pretty cool stuff bro

I drink like once or twice a year, so I'll now exit this thread...

Parish
01-20-2010, 02:15 PM
I don't drink much, but there are a few libations I cannot resist:

Good red wine. "Good" meaning neither sweet nor vinegary; I prefer my wine dry and earthy. Give me tannins or give me water!
A Pimm's cup. Almost no one makes these, so finding a good one is always a treat.
Tanqueray Rangpur and tonic with a wedge of lime.

Also, I had a cocktail the other night which was fantastic. It consisted of bourbon, vermouth, and bitters. Damn strong, though. I sipped at it slowly over the course of a huge, heavy, high-fat meal and it still knocked me for a loop. I assume this is because I never drink whiskey. I'd love to have it again sometime, but I don't know which specific bourbon and vermouth were involved, and that makes all the difference.

I have completely lost my taste for white wine and anything involving vodka, up to and including white russians.

Falselogic
01-20-2010, 02:27 PM
A Pimm's cup. Almost no one makes these, so finding a good one is always a treat.

I've never heard of this what is it? And talking about finding places that make drinks, I've learned that if you have to tell the Bartender how to make your drink you're better off ordering something else, and finding a better bar!

Alixsar
01-20-2010, 02:28 PM
I have completely lost my taste for white wine and anything involving vodka, up to and including white russians.

Oh that is...that is just a damn shame.

Anyway!

Beers:
- Basically any kind of New Belgium, but Fat Tire and 1554 stand out.
- Newcastle.
- Stella Artois.
- Sam Adams.
- Guiness.
- Boddington's.
- Heinenken (is that how you spell it?) and St. Pauli Girl are okay, but I generally speaking don't care for lagers. To me they taste like...imagine you go to put the trash out on trash day, and you pick up the bag and it's leaking. Like there was something wet in there and now it's dripping out of the bag after marinating in garbage for a while. Imagine someone took that water, ran it through a purifier, and then made beer out of it somehow. That's what lager tastes like to me. The actual taste is fine...it's just that after taste that lager has. I can't stand it. I remember someone brought some particularly shitty lager to a party once and I was chasing swigs of beer with shots just to kill the taste. I didn't chase every swig mind you; that's just insane. But the taste was so awful that I'd rather have burning in my throat than the aftertaste of this stuff.

So yeah. Fuck lagers.

Hard Stuff:
Whiskey and/or Scotch mostly. Pretty much any kind will do, but I have some favorites. J&B and Jameson's are probably my favorite/reasonably priced scotch/whiskey, but Maker's Mark and Johnny Walker are good too and in roughly the same price range. If I'm going for higher end stuff, Macallan/Glenlivet/Johnny Walker Green (or blue if I'm feeling like going broke) will get the job done. Rum is kind of gross, and vodka I can barely drink anymore after one particularly bad evening. Tequila is kind of gross too, but I'm seeing an old friend this weekend and they assure me that I just haven't been drinking the right stuff. So maybe I'll change my mind in a few days? Bourbon is amazing but I don't know a lot about it. I do know that I like Bulleit Bourbon and it's relatively cheap, so I get that a lot. If I need whiskey for mixed drinks, I usually go with Seagrams or Crown Royal or maaaayyyybbbbeee Jack Daniels or Jim Beam since those are cheap.

Drinking. It's Fun!™

Wolfgang
01-20-2010, 02:30 PM
It's no surprise that my favorite wine is ice wine, which is so sweet it tastes like slightly alcoholic grape jelly. They say it's a dessert wine, but I'll have it anytime. Plum wine's a close second.

I really, really love high-quality sake that tastes like nothing so much as water with a slight warmth in the aftertaste.

shivam
01-20-2010, 02:30 PM
i love sweet white wines, and really deep chianti style reds. man, just give me table wine from anywhere in italy, and we're good to go.

but my drink of choice? fruit brandy. Apricot if you've got it, pear and apple if you don't.

Falselogic
01-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Oh, just to throw in one more thing: Mead. Honey Wine is pretty damn good! Though I've found that it tastes better after its been chilled and given time to breath

Alixsar
01-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Oh shit I forgot wine. I don't know much about wine, but I do know this: if it's red, I will drink it/enjoy it. If it's white or pink or whatever the fuck, then it's terrible and I hate you for even suggesting it and you should feel bad. Champagne is good too but I know even less about that. I know that bad stuff gives you a wicked headache and that good stuff is good. That counts for something, right?

shivam
01-20-2010, 02:38 PM
oh alex, alex, alex. you and i are going to have to have an education day i see.

Dawnswalker
01-20-2010, 02:43 PM
The first (and only) time I tried sake was... interesting. We were watching Akira at the time, and apparently I got so pissed that I claimed to completely understand the ending. I don't remember it being a bad drink, but I haven't been able to look at it since, without feeling a bit ill.

(On a possibly related note: If you're watching Akira while drinking and someone at your party makes up an Akira Drinking Game, play with Coke instead.)

ringworm
01-20-2010, 03:09 PM
It's no surprise that my favorite wine is ice wine, which is so sweet it tastes like slightly alcoholic grape jelly. They say it's a dessert wine, but I'll have it anytime.
Sweet berry wine! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SEiMu3dGyY#t=4m30s)

Parish
01-20-2010, 03:22 PM
I've never heard of this what is it? And talking about finding places that make drinks, I've learned that if you have to tell the Bartender how to make your drink you're better off ordering something else, and finding a better bar!

Pimm's No. 1 is a British spiced gin. A Pimm's Cup is when you mix it with another beverage -- lemonade is popular, but I prefer hand-made ginger ale using bitters -- and garnish with a slice of cucumber. It is delicious. Unfortunately, most American bars don't stock Pimm's No. 1.

Also, I secretly still like white russians, but only on super rare occasions.

Also also! I love nigori sake to death. So good with sushi.

MCBanjoMike
01-20-2010, 03:27 PM
It's no surprise that my favorite wine is ice wine, which is so sweet it tastes like slightly alcoholic grape jelly. They say it's a dessert wine, but I'll have it anytime. Plum wine's a close second.

I have little to no interest in most wines, but I'm with you on the sweet wines. If you like icewines, try a bottle of Muscat - it's not quite as intensely syrupy, but it is very sweet and tasty.

Late at night, I have a tendency to make myself a sugary alcoholic beverage as a sort of dessert after dinner. Much of the time it winds up being Bailey's mixed with some milk, which I find completely delicious. I just wish the damn stuff wasn't so expensive. When the weather gets a little warmer, though, I migrate towards the G&T. Tanqueray is my gin of choice, but I certainly won't turn my nose up at Bombay Sapphire.

Ethan
01-20-2010, 03:37 PM
I was convinced for the longest time that I didn't like any drink involving hard alcohol except for apple juice with Polish zubrowka, and then I found myself in a social situation where someone offered me a glass of fine single malt Scotch. To be respectful, I accepted it. The doors burst open.

So, taste-wise, I kind of passed up all the affordable, sensible drinks and went straight to the top shelf, much to my financial detriment. My last bottle was a cask-strength 18-year Laphroaig. It's really something.

Another weird drink I discovered I like: port wine. I don't really have enough money to afford a truly excellent bottle-aged port, but I love a good wood-aged port (tawny or colheita). Port is extremely sweet, but it's more of a complex, fig-like sweetness than the Jolly Rancher sweetness of boxed wine or something.

Malort.

I have a feeling I might like gin-based cocktails. My mission: order a gimlet.

Parish
01-20-2010, 04:19 PM
I used to like Bailey's (with milk, like Mike), but then I read about how it's made -- it's basically an emulsion of cream and whiskey suspended in vegetable oil. Now all I can taste when I drink it is vegetable oil. I guess what I'm saying is that things that seem inexplicably delicious are best left a mystery.

MCBanjoMike
01-20-2010, 04:32 PM
I guess what I'm saying is that things that seem inexplicably delicious are best left a mystery.

Yes, I suppose they are. >:|

Falselogic
01-20-2010, 04:38 PM
I used to like Bailey's (with milk, like Mike), but then I read about how it's made -- it's basically an emulsion of cream and whiskey suspended in vegetable oil. Now all I can taste when I drink it is vegetable oil. I guess what I'm saying is that things that seem inexplicably delicious are best left a mystery.

Are all Irish Cream alcohols made that way?

upupdowndown
01-20-2010, 04:45 PM
Limoncello. So delicious when you keep it in the freezer and serve a small amount as an after-dinner apertif.

Ethan
01-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Welp, that's the end of me ever even considering drinking Bailey's.

Also, yes, limoncello. I had some the other night after a Neapolitan pizza. Exquisite.

Alixsar
01-20-2010, 05:12 PM
oh alex, alex, alex. you and i are going to have to have an education day i see.

Well I do have some brands I know I like. It's just that they're probably the kind of stuff wine experts scoff at so I saved myself the embarrassment. I'm rather partial to Australian stuff, actually. For whatever reason.

But yeah, only red. White wine is nasty.

Calorie Mate
01-20-2010, 05:26 PM
Red wine is better, but white has its place, too.

taosterman
01-20-2010, 05:32 PM
In the words of Rusty Venture, "Bartender! Another double Sidecar!"

Gwrrrk
01-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Dark beer and ales are my drink of choice.

Guinness and Kilkenny are pretty good. Rickards Red is another brand that i seem to remember really enjoy drinking.

Most other kinds I can think of are local to Ontario only (the one with the best name is called "10W30").

estragon
01-20-2010, 05:37 PM
I have a feeling I might like gin-based cocktails.

I love gin based cocktails. Once I've had a few beers, the gin and tonic is my go to drink for keeping a nice buzz for the rest of the evening.

(On the other hand, sake is my go to drink for getting blasted.)

Nobuyuki
01-20-2010, 05:42 PM
I'm not a wine person. No matter where it's from or how expensive it is it all tastes like ass to me. Pretty much the only time I drink wine is when other people are also drinking wine. White in particular is revolting. A drink shouldn't leave my mouth dry.

For beers, I tend to like darker. I love Guinness, but only from the tap. Guinness from the bottle just tastes like mud. Sam Adams is also usually good to me, so when I'm buying from the supermarket that's usually what I'll get. I also mentioned Yuengling in the other thread, which is pretty good. It mostly gets good marks from me for tasting okay and being $7-8 for a pitcher around here.

I've had enough bad experiences with various types of liquors that there aren't so many I can drink straight or unmasked without feeling sick. Enough time has passed since a particularly bad night with a gin bucket that I've got my taste back for gin, so gin and tonics tend to be my go to drink now. Vodka's out, which is a shame because I used to love white russians, and I've never been a fan of whiskey. I do have a taste for girly drinks, for better or worse, and I'm happy to order an appletini without hesitation.

Posaune
01-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Limoncello. So delicious when you keep it in the freezer and serve a small amount as an after-dinner apertif.

So, we're talkin' a digestif here?

Speaking of digestifs I should get some to help me feel like less of a big fatso after a big dinner.

Parish
01-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Yes, I suppose they are. >:|

Oh, maybe I should have spoilered that! Tee hee.

Are all Irish Cream alcohols made that way?

Any that's packaged, I would assume -- or at least any that uses real dairy product. (Why would anyone want one that doesn't!?) They have to be emulsified to prevent the cream from spoiling. I'd think that you could make a fresh irish cream liqueur without emulsifying it, but you'd also have to consume it right away.

ringworm
01-20-2010, 09:13 PM
As far as gin goes, if you like the taste of pine trees, you will love them. I love gin.

vaterite
01-20-2010, 09:37 PM
So, taste-wise, I kind of passed up all the affordable, sensible drinks and went straight to the top shelf, much to my financial detriment. My last bottle was a cask-strength 18-year Laphroaig. It's really something.

Laphroaig is my go to guy for peaty goodness. I don't think I've ever had the 18-year though. The great thing about cask-strength is that you water it down, so it's almost like the Whiskey was on sale, right? I'll keep telling myself that.

As far as gin goes, if you like the taste of pine trees, you will love them. I love gin.

Is there gin you can sip straight up? I have found the stuff I use to make gin and tonic is the least bearable alcohol I've ever tasted.

As for beers, I'm particularly partial to Dogfish head, because we're both from Delaware. Sixty minutes is good, but if you've got that extra half an hour go for the ninety. I also find that getting belgian style ales livens things up. They tend to have more vaired flavors and spices, and can be have complexity similar to wine. If you're ever in southeast Michigan, check out the Jolly Pumpkin. They're a small operation out of Dexter that does this very very right.

gamin
01-20-2010, 10:39 PM
Ever since I started studying Impressionism, I've been curious about absinthe. Now that it's legal in the US, does anyone know of a good brand?

shivam
01-20-2010, 10:41 PM
pernod is the way. i loves me some absinthe. but then, i love licorice.

Dizzy
01-20-2010, 10:51 PM
I used to think absinthe was cocaina mixed with alcohol. In a way Jagerbombs made up for that misconception and proved how awful such a drink would be.

Merus
01-20-2010, 10:59 PM
I actually can't stand most reds, I find them almost always too acidic, but I love me a good white wine. I think we can all agree that champagne (and thanks to Futurama, I can't help but pronouce it 'cham-pagin', although technically 'champagne' refers to the place it was made, and should properly be called a 'sparkling' wine) and rosé are excellent.

Dizzy
01-20-2010, 11:11 PM
I don't know who said it but if you go too cheap on wine (and most other drinks) you'll get burned. Drinks should always go down smoothly. Cheap wine is like acid. You may not know what quality even means until you pay top dollar. So next time try to buy the most expensive red wine you can get.

Anyone watch Wine Library TV (http://tv.winelibrary.com/)? I don't even like wine all that much but Gary's PASSION draws me in.

shivam
01-20-2010, 11:14 PM
I actually can't stand most reds, I find them almost always too acidic, but I love me a good white wine. I think we can all agree that champagne (and thanks to Futurama, I can't help but pronouce it 'cham-pagin', although technically 'champagne' refers to the place it was made, and should properly be called a 'sparkling' wine) and rosé are excellent.

i just don't like the carbonation.

Kirin
01-21-2010, 09:08 AM
I'm sure we've done this thread two or three times, but I suppose I'll chime in again with my love of girly drinks. Mudslides, Creamsicles, whatever - if it's full of fruit and/or chocolate and tastes like dessert I'm in. (Well, except I don't like cherry/almond flavors).

My little brother gave me a "make your own liqueuers at home" book for xmas that is excellent. I made some ginger-cinnamon liqueuer and holy crap is it good stuff. I'm pretty sure there's also a recipe for home-made Irish cream in there, which I may have to try now that Jeremy's doing his best to put us all off Bailey's...

Though lately I've been getting more into the fringes of beer, expanding beyond my beloved raspberry lambics into some chocolate or vanilla stouts.

Red Hedgehog
01-21-2010, 09:41 AM
Beers:

Really, anything so long as it's good. I probably like Ales the most, but a good Stout, Porter, Lager, Wheat beer, etc.

Wines:

I have a slight preference for whites to red, in that I like almost any variety of white while there are some red I don't like. Still, I just like wine in general. Unless it's too sweet. Ugh!

Liquor:

Whiskey, scotch, and bourbon are all great. Gin is probably my favorite mixer. Not a big fan of rum or vodka.

Odin
01-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Oh, just to throw in one more thing: Mead. Honey Wine is pretty damn good! Though I've found that it tastes better after its been chilled and given time to breath

Yes it is! Oliver Winery (http://www.oliverwinery.com/)'s Camelot Mead is all over Indiana, and good for the price. I've only had a couple other meads and they didn't do it for me like Oliver's does. I'm open to other mead suggestions, though.

Other alcohol talk to follow later, I'm going to go bake some cookies now. Did I mention this food forum is an awesome idea?

Nobuyuki
01-21-2010, 10:51 AM

Champagne refers specifically to sparkling wine made in the Champagne region. Sparkling wine refers to all other carbonated wine.

Also, spiced rum good, clear rum bad.

Calorie Mate
01-21-2010, 11:16 AM
I don't know who said it but if you go too cheap on wine (and most other drinks) you'll get burned. Drinks should always go down smoothly. Cheap wine is like acid. You may not know what quality even means until you pay top dollar. So next time try to buy the most expensive red wine you can get.

Is this a veiled criticism of Carlo Rossi and his jug of wine? For shame, Diz. For shame.

Ethan
01-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Drinks should always go down smoothly.

I'm going to disagree with this when it comes to fine scotch and bourbon. One of the great pleasures of those drinks is the intense fiery feeling you get when you breathe after taking a sip. It's not smooth or easy, but it's fantastic when you've acquired the taste. I find the smoother scotches to not be nearly as exciting.

Falselogic
01-21-2010, 11:55 AM
I love me some Belfast Car Bombs and Jagger Bombs! I only do them though when its time for some serious drinking

NevznachaY
01-22-2010, 08:21 AM
I love a drink! Listing all the things I like is too tiresome - but I'm gonna suggest that all the Jaegermeister lovers try other herb-based bitter liquors: specifically, Fernet Branca, Beherovka and Unicum.

I don't drink much, but there are a few libations I cannot resist:

Good red wine. "Good" meaning neither sweet nor vinegary; I prefer my wine dry and earthy. Give me tannins or give me water!
Tanqueray Rangpur and tonic with a wedge of lime.

I love this selection.

Another weird drink I discovered I like: port wine.

What's weird about port?

pernod is the way. i loves me some absinthe. but then, i love licorice.

Technically, Pernod isn't an absinthe, it's a pastis. An entirely different beast.

Ethan
01-22-2010, 08:39 AM
What's weird about port?

It's very weird for someone of my age and financial status. I only met three other people in my life who are under 40 and into port, and two of them don't count because they are a sommelier and his girlfriend. Most people I know dislike its sweetness and consider it an old man drink.

NevznachaY
01-22-2010, 08:41 AM
It's very weird for someone of my age and financial status. I only met three other people in my life who are under 40 and into port, and two of them don't count because they are a sommelier and his girlfriend. Most people I know dislike its sweetness and consider it an old man drink.

Well, in Portugal they swig it like it's juice. Like, all the Portuguese.

Ethan
01-22-2010, 08:42 AM
And this is why I must go to Portugal.

NevznachaY
01-22-2010, 08:55 AM
This thread reminds me that I need to buy a bottle of this:
http://blogg.visir.is/blommi/files/2009/05/brennivin.jpg

I miss it.

MCBanjoMike
02-05-2010, 09:22 AM
My girlfriend has been showing an interest in developing a taste for single-malt whisky in recent months. I'm going to visit her this weekend, so I'm going to surprise her with a bottle of Talisker 10-year. I'm so great! Too bad I think the stuff tastes like paint thinner, which means I won't be able to appreciate it with her.

We also recently found a Greek Muscat at the local SAQ which is both pretty tasty and also significantly cheaper than any of the other brands available around here. Hooray for Muscat! I should buy some more of that stuff.

Ethan
02-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Talisker is a great whisky. It has a nice balance that makes it a good fit for a new drinker of Scotch, but it has serious character, way more than a common first Scotch like Glenfiddich or Glenlivet. I've been meaning to pick up a bottle.

Torgo
02-05-2010, 10:29 AM
It's no surprise that my favorite wine is ice wine, which is so sweet it tastes like slightly alcoholic grape jelly. They say it's a dessert wine, but I'll have it anytime.
*knux*

I'm not a wine dude (I'm starting to dip my toes in once in a rare while), but ice wine is great. It's also absurdly expensive. The cheapest bottle I can find is twenty bucks, and that's very cheap for ice wine.

I'll have a beer if they're around, but since people around here only drink Heineken and I don't drink at home, 90% of my beer drinking ends up being that.

I have some vodka and some heavy cream that's going to spoil sooner then later. I am strongly considering picking up a bottle Kahlua and trying a White Russian.

Kirin
05-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Thread necro! I couldn't find any real "mixed drinks" thread, but this one will do, I guess. So, from last night:

Black Irishman: vodka, kahlua, coke, splash of guinness. Utterly bizarre, but actually pretty good.

bdazzld
05-19-2010, 12:27 PM
While only technically alcoholic, this (http://sugarbomber.com/city/other-cities/shakin-jesse/) is perhaps the most concentrated form of joy you can get without drugs.

Ales. Vodka, Scotch. Starting to get a taste for wine, which I'm sure will bankrupt me.

OOOOH that sounds so tasty :D

ajr82
05-31-2010, 08:38 PM
I spent way too much money stocking my liquor cabinet today. I picked up:

- Forty Creek Canadian whiskey: the best Canadian whiskey available
- Maker's Mark
- Cointreau
- Stolichnaya: Because I figure the Soviets knew their vodka
- Havana Club white: which is illegal for you Americans!
- Martini & Rossi sweet vermouth: because I already had dry
- Dr. McGillicuddy's peach schnapps

So many cocktails to try!

edit: because it's one thing I'm missing: what's a good, reasonably-priced tequila?

Meditative_Zebra
05-31-2010, 09:00 PM
I have some vodka and some heavy cream that's going to spoil sooner then later. I am strongly considering picking up a bottle Kahlua and trying a White Russian.

I'm not really much of a consumer of alcohol but I like me a white russian. Consider this my approval of your plan, for what it's worth.

cortbassist89
05-31-2010, 09:08 PM
My friend swears that White Russians with Kahlua taste like chocolate milk.

I want to know what he puts in his chocolate milk that makes it taste so damn awful.

I had some moonshine a couple weeks ago; that was pretty awesome.

ajr82
05-31-2010, 09:10 PM
My friend swears that White Russians with Kahlua taste like chocolate milk.

I want to know what he puts in his chocolate milk that makes it taste so damn awful.

I had some moonshine a couple weeks ago; that was pretty awesome.

I agree with your friend, I definitely get a chocolate milk vibe when I have a White Russian. Personally, I prefer Paralyzers to White Russians, though: fill a glass 3/4 full with Coke over ice, add 1 oz vodka and 1/2 ounce Kaluha, top with milk.

spineshark
05-31-2010, 10:16 PM
Stiv had some homemade Kahlua that he made White Russians with a few board games ago and it was soooooo good.

Nerdy
06-01-2010, 12:42 AM
I may not be 21 yet, but my mom used to be a bartender and she'd make her own drinks. Anybody interested in something new to try?

Ethan
06-01-2010, 07:54 AM
Yesterday I went to my Guatemalan (now ex-)neighbor's place for lunch and farewells. Starting at about 2:30 I had three cans of Modelo Especial, three shots of Bushmill's, one shot of Żołądkowa Gorzka, a nip of cask-strength Scotch, and about a shot's worth of a strange Dominican drink that had a photocopied label and was basically a bottle stuffed to the neck with various woodchips and herbs and filled with grain alcohol. And the remarkable thing is that I basically only got to the edge of tipsiness despite the eight drinks, because I was fed an insane amount of fantastic food. I skipped dinner.

MCBanjoMike
06-01-2010, 02:58 PM
So my in-laws make a yearly trip down south in the spring, usually to Mexico or Cuba, and every time they bring us back a bottle or rum. Often Cuban! Trouble is, neither me nor my girlfriend really likes rum. In fact, we're starting to accumulate quite a stockpile of the stuff in our liquor cabinet. What are some good mixes that we could make with the stuff? I tried making Pina Coladas once, since I know that I usually enjoy those, but the recipe that I tried made something pretty disgusting. I'd be open to other suggestions too, if anyone has any to offer. Something a bit more original than "and Coke" would be appreciated, mind you.

StriderDL
06-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Ok, so, some of you are going to go wtf?!!? at this one, BUT! A few weeks past, before a concert put on by The Protomen, my cousin and I hit up the Whiskey Tavern in downtown Manhattan. And we see this special, I forget the name exactly, but it was a shot of whiskey (Jameson) with a shot of regular or spicy pickle juice. Now, at first we scoffed at the very idea. I mean, c'mon, pickle juice? But then they gave us a complimentary shot. And it was pretty damn good. I don't think I need to describe the whiskey shot, but the follow up of pickle juice hits your palette like a briny sea of delicious. We followed them up with two more of the spicy variety.

StriderDL
06-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Double post for MCBanjoMike!

Try this!

Zombie (1 serving)
1/2 oz 151 proof rum
1 oz pineapple juice
1 oz orange juice
1/2 oz apricot brandy
1 tsp sugar
2 oz light rum
1 oz dark rum
1 oz lime juice

Be warned. It is called that for a reason. However, it is delicious.

MCBanjoMike
06-01-2010, 04:25 PM
That, uh, seems like a pretty powerful drink. But it also requires about 4 kinds of liquor, and I'm pretty sure that we don't have at least three of them. 151 proof rum?? Where the hell do you find that?

Can you recommend some substitutions to the recipe for those who are missing some key ingredients?

StriderDL
06-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Ah, I wasn't sure exactly what kinds of rum you had. Bacardi puts out a 151 proof rum, by the way. You can find it in any ol' liquor store. Good for Flaming Homer's.

I honestly couldn't tell you what to substitute, as I've only had them out at restaurants. I figured, hey, rum, Zombies have rum! Maybe try this instead?

Mai Tai
1 oz. Light Rum
1/2 oz. Simple Syrup
1/2 oz. Triple Sec
1 1/2 oz. Sweet & Sour mix
1 Cherry

I just tend to think fruity tropical drinks when rum is mentioned. To that end, I just ran a search and ended up with this (http://www.whattodrink.com/tropicalDrinks/). I admittedly am not an experienced mixologist.

EDIT: That being said, a simpler recipie, if you have dark rum, is a Dark 'n' Stormy. Ginger Beer and rum, whammo, spicy deliciousness.

Luana
06-01-2010, 05:23 PM
I may not be 21 yet, but my mom used to be a bartender and she'd make her own drinks. Anybody interested in something new to try?

Enlighten me, Alice! I'm pretty boring, pretty much just mixing things with ginger ale (Frangelico and ginger ale is my favorite so far) and drinking whiskey sours. I'm a sucker for a sweet drink, though, but like the unexpected as well.

EDIT: That being said, a simpler recipie, if you have dark rum, is a Dark 'n' Stormy. Ginger Beer and rum, whammo, spicy deliciousness.

I've got ginger soda in the fridge, but ginger beer sounds like it should go well with my Captain Morgan's Tattoo.

ajr82
06-01-2010, 06:54 PM
So my in-laws make a yearly trip down south in the spring, usually to Mexico or Cuba, and every time they bring us back a bottle or rum. Often Cuban! Trouble is, neither me nor my girlfriend really likes rum. In fact, we're starting to accumulate quite a stockpile of the stuff in our liquor cabinet. What are some good mixes that we could make with the stuff? I tried making Pina Coladas once, since I know that I usually enjoy those, but the recipe that I tried made something pretty disgusting. I'd be open to other suggestions too, if anyone has any to offer. Something a bit more original than "and Coke" would be appreciated, mind you.

The Daiquiri is a classic for a reason, and you can pretend that you're Ernest Hemingway when you drink it.

2 oz. white rum
1 oz. fresh lime juice
0.5 ounce syrup

Shake with ice.

Paul le Fou
06-02-2010, 06:21 AM
the Mai Tai is a drink for which there are a million totally different recipes. There is no one "mai tai." It's just "generic rum-based fruit drink."

The last ones I made had pineapple and orange juices, light and dark rum, plus some grenadine.

That is the original daquiri though. (Proportions always vary.) (and I've seen it with a bit of triple sec too.)

Kirin
06-17-2010, 01:06 PM
A newish Irish Pub in town makes a drink called the Black Irish, with Coke, Guiness, Kahlua, and Vodka. It's bizarrely tasty.

ASandoval
06-22-2010, 01:26 AM
I was thinking about something today and wanted to hear what you guys think. Bare with me, there's a little bit of a story here.

So neither me or my girlfriend are big on drinking. In high school I was actually rather against it, but I've since promoted myself to somewhat social drinker over the years. Generally I enjoy mixed drinks with a lot of flavor, but if I'm out with people I don't know, I generally get screwdrivers as my default (anything where I can barely taste the alcohol). As I start to move into my late 20s, I've started to understand what a social dynamic there is to drinking, and how it can play a major role in the way people think about you. My former game design teacher and now my boss once told me at a bar we went to after work that he was glad because, quote "I don't trust people I can't drink with." He was half buzzed at the time, so I didn't give it much thought.

At GDC this year, I'm hanging out at the IGDA (http://www.igda.org) party, mostly hanging out with people I already knew, which eventually ended up with me and my girlfriend hanging out with this guy from Britain. He was a great guy and on top of that, CEO of a company that started with iPhone games and were moving on to PS3 dev. After a while of chatting it up, he decided to buy us drinks. Now, we needed to be up early because we were volunteers for the conference, so we didn't intend to drink, but I didn't want to turn down his offer either. So at first, I just wanted to go with a soda... and he was very visibly disappointed (Brief aside, he then later started asking me if people just don't drink in America - he wasn't really familiar with my country at all). After that, we quickly changed our tune after that and got some drinks and ended up having a great time after that. When I told this story to my boss later, he told me that my general aversion to drinking was something I need to "get over".

So anyway! The long winded point I'm trying to make here, for both people who drink, don't drink and are somewhere in between like me, how do you feel about these sort of unwritten rules? Should I loosen up a bit more? It's not like I'm totally against drinking now, obviously, but is there a balancing point between what you're comfortable with and getting along with other drinkers?

Olli T
06-22-2010, 03:17 AM
So anyway! The long winded point I'm trying to make here, for both people who drink, don't drink and are somewhere in between like me, how do you feel about these sort of unwritten rules? Should I loosen up a bit more? It's not like I'm totally against drinking now, obviously, but is there a balancing point between what you're comfortable with and getting along with other drinkers?

It might not be fair, but that's how it goes, and it's a pretty important social aspect to many people. In most cases you can get away without losing any credibility by having just one drink and saying you can't have anymore because of XYZ (barring a really good reason like being on antibiotics or pregnant). NOTE: You don't have to finish the drink, you just have to accept it! If people dislike you because you're not getting smashed, they're not worth the trouble anyway.

Caveat: I'm from Finland, YMMV.

Paul le Fou
06-22-2010, 03:34 AM
That's basically total bullshit but it's something that, as you can see, you're going to run into regardless. A lot of people, especially businesspeople, just like to drink and really there is a strong social aspect to it. Getting disappointed or not trusting someone over not drinking is, like, childish? idiotic? but it happens. Depending on how much you want to look good to these people - in this case, professional contacts and comrades, so pretty good, as opposed to friends/casual acquaintances you can safely tell to go microwave their heads - you can either reject it or go with the flow.

First thing for confident social drinking: I'd find a solid drink or two you like and can stick with - the screwdriver works. Some people will look at some drinks differently than others ("Fruit juice, lol girl drink") but take no heed unless you're ordering like fuzzy navels. It also projects a more serious/professional air to get, say, a "regular" drink instead of a mai tai. If you hem and haw about what to drink you give yourself away as inexperienced. If you can waltz up to the bar, tell them your order without hesitating, you look like you know what you're doing - oh he's got a drink/he knows drinks well enough, he must be a drinker of at least some experience.

That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with switching up drinks, but again, they should be ones that you know. If you go up and order a gin&tonic to change up from a whiskey and coke, make it look like you did it because you were in the mood for a gin and tonic, not because you asked the bartender for ideas 'cause I dunno drinks, lol! (ALSO: don't mix drinks too much under any circumstance. You probably know this but it bears repeating.) Also you run the risk of getting something that you don't actually like the taste of, which will make you look like a huge noob.

Next, I'd find a good limit for yourself - like "I can't have more than X drinks if I need to (insert various activities here, be they "carry on a professional conversation" or "stand up by myself") and apply them as necessary. If you have your, say, two drinks, just tell them that you've hit your limit and you're done for the night. If you're drinking with a real manchild who's going to try pressuring/pouting you into another one, cut your limit down by one so you can gracefully and safely say "WELLL, ok, just one more" without selling yourself down the river. Remember that on average your body processes one drink per hour, so over a long night you can have a drink about every half hour and technically never get more than 2 drinks in your system on average. Water and fatty foods such as they have at bars will cut down and spread out the effects of alcohol. Carbonated beverages will actually make the effects worse.

This should get you to a point where you can order a drink or two and consume them while remaining safe and sociable and in control, all while projecting the image of someone who's comfortable drinking. And once you get it down, it will be because you are comfortable drinking.

This is probably way more/a completely different kind of thing than you wanted to hear. Oh well, already wrote it, can't not post it now.

Dawnswalker
06-22-2010, 03:25 PM
This is more of a "house party" solution than a "business party" solution for obvious reasons, but you could also take/order a single drink that you don't find too bad, drink it, but keep refilling it throughout the night with water/virgin juice to make it look like you're putting them away along with everyone else.

estragon
06-22-2010, 11:37 PM
NOTE: You don't have to finish the drink, you just have to accept it! If people dislike you because you're not getting smashed, they're not worth the trouble anyway.

I think this is important to remember.

Honestly, unless the person in question is driving home, then I probably wouldn't trust anyone who wouldn't drink a single beer either. Going out for drinks isn't necesssarily about getting plastered, it's about loosening up a bit. Unless you are drivign or have some kind of medical or religious issue, just accept one alcoholic drink to chill out a bit and everything will be fine.

Paul le Fou
06-23-2010, 02:10 AM
Since alcohol counts as recreational drug use, I wouldn't begrudge someone who chooses not to partake. I might think it's weird, but I couldn't bring myself to distrust them. That just doesn't make any goddamn sense to me.

ASandoval
06-23-2010, 09:29 AM
I'd like to think I'm pretty relaxed when I'm not drinking. I'm fairly laid back, perhaps too much for my own damn good. It really doesn't help that I just don't like the taste of alcohol, so I try to find things that hide it as much as possible.

estragon
06-23-2010, 10:24 AM
I'd like to think I'm pretty relaxed when I'm not drinking. I'm fairly laid back, perhaps too much for my own damn good. It really doesn't help that I just don't like the taste of alcohol, so I try to find things that hide it as much as possible.

And this is a really good reason to accept your friend's offer to buy you a drink and slowly nurse it for rest of the evening. It's not a good reason to ask for a soda instead, unless you're driving home or have some religious belief/medical condition. You don't have to chug it, but when someone offers to buy you a drink, it's polite to accept. A few sips of a gin fizz or whatever won't get you wasted, and it will put the person who initially wanted to buy you a drink at ease.

shivam
06-23-2010, 12:38 PM
wow. you're making it sound like people who don't drink are to be tied to a stake or something. My wife doesn't drink at all, and pretty much hates alcohol in general, because of some traumatic experiences and things. She's not at all religious nor does she have a medical issue, and if you were to offer her a drink, she'd politely refuse. Is that so wrong?

Calorie Mate
06-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Yeah, fuck anyone that wants to do me a nice thing and then gets their panties in a bunch because I don't like alcohol. If they're doing it to be nice, they can buy me a soda.

...I mean, not me, because I love my alcohol. But that's the right attitude to have.

Nodal
06-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Yeah, fuck anyone that wants to do me a nice thing and then gets their panties in a bunch because I don't like alcohol. If they're doing it to be nice, they can buy me a soda.

...I mean, not me, because I love my alcohol. But that's the right attitude to have.

Ethan
06-23-2010, 01:05 PM
A while ago in the thread about picky eating, Shivam, you said basically the same exact thing that estragon said, but about food instead of drink.

I understand that being pressured to drink alcoholic drinks can have a more pharmaceutical effect than being pressured to eat a food you find distasteful, especially if we're talking about an extreme example where somebody keeps trying to buy you shot after shot or something; but barring an actual medical condition, nursing a beer or a gin and tonic over the span of an hour to avoid creating social tension is the exact same thing as accepting a non-ideal food item in a similar social situation.

I think you just have to gauge the situation and strike a balance between your own comfort and the comfort of the people you're with. It's case-by-case. Sometimes it's okay to turn down a plate of food or an alcoholic drink. (It would be okay in my house for sure. I support my guests' right to have no taste.) But sometimes turning down a drink is an even more serious affront than going to the Shivam household and refusing the dinner you've made.

shivam
06-23-2010, 01:35 PM
i guess i just value them differently. alcohol can fuck you up, and can change your attitude and impair your mind. food generally doesn't. i view it as if someone casually offered me a joint-- i'd politely refuse, and move on with my day.

MCBanjoMike
06-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Let me tell you, in my girlfriend's French family you had best have a good reason if you don't want to drink. Not to say that you have to get shitfaced, but when everyone around you is drinking, it seems strange to have one person abstaining. Not that I'm saying this is an ideal situation (then again, I'm a picky eater and prefer not to have anything forced on me, be it food or drink), but it's just the way people are.

shivam
06-23-2010, 01:53 PM
i guess its just cultural differences. in my family, drinking is pretty verboten, but that's a combination of being really orthodox and coming from a state where prohibition is active. And my wife just doesn't like alcohol at all.

Ethan
06-23-2010, 02:59 PM
If you absolutely can't/won't drink alcohol as Heather won't, then I think an important tool in your social utility belt has to be a quick little white lie about how you're allergic to alcohol and will get sick if you are exposed to it at all. There is a big difference between "I can't drink" and "I won't drink with you", and some cultures would automatically assume you meant the latter unless you have explained.

But yeah, barring an absolute personal rule to avoid alcohol, I think nursing a drink beats out a little white lie. If you're drinking with them — however slowly — it's a symbol that you're willing to let your guard down with them and be real, and it will be repaid in warmth.

shivam
06-23-2010, 03:03 PM
for me, its not an issue. i'm ok with drinking socially, and tend to nurse the drink as mentioned above. but my wife's just not into that, and that's ok.

estragon
06-23-2010, 05:05 PM

This is not what I think. Let's look at the actual example in question.

I'm hanging out at the IGDA (http://www.igda.org) party, mostly hanging out with people I already knew, which eventually ended up with me and my girlfriend hanging out with this guy from Britain. He was a great guy and on top of that, CEO of a company that started with iPhone games and were moving on to PS3 dev. After a while of chatting it up, he decided to buy us drinks. Now, we needed to be up early because we were volunteers for the conference, so we didn't intend to drink, but I didn't want to turn down his offer either. So at first, I just wanted to go with a soda... and he was very visibly disappointed

If you "accept" someone's offer to buy you a drink, then order soda, you are basically lying to them. When someone offers to buy you drinks, it is probably because they want to drink alcohol with you, not because they are desperate to see any liquid go into your mouth.

The options in this situation are to decline in advance, which is okay, or to accept the drink and just nurse it so that the person can have the drinking partner they're looking for. He didn't want to buy someone a soda. He wanted to drink with someone. If he had known they were going to order soda, he probably would have tried to look for someone else to go get drinks with. If you want to accept the offer, accept the offer. You don't even have to drink!

It's just a matter of basic politeness.

I basically agree with this:

But yeah, barring an absolute personal rule to avoid alcohol, I think nursing a drink beats out a little white lie. If you're drinking with them — however slowly — it's a symbol that you're willing to let your guard down with them and be real, and it will be repaid in warmth.

Ethan
06-23-2010, 06:07 PM
To be clear, I do respect respect the wishes of someone who just doesn't drink as a rule. I was one of those people until age 24 (and I still won't get drunk, even now). But I think those people have to understand the cultural importance that drinking has to others, and develop a strategy for letting people down easy.

Earlier today I stood on my porch in stormy weather and enjoyed a glass of Scotch. It was nice.

estragon
06-23-2010, 06:43 PM
I think those people have to understand the cultural importance that drinking has to others, and develop a strategy for letting people down easy.

Yes yes yes. This.

Accepting someone's offer to buy you drinks and ordering a soda would be like accepting someone's invitation to hang out and play videogames with them at their house, but ignoring them when you get there by reading a book alone in their bathroom.

You shouldn't be suprised if someone is irritated with you in this situation. Drinking is an activity, and if you accept an invitation to get a drink with someone (and especially if you accept an invitation for someone else to buy you your drinks!), you're engaging in a kind of implicit social contract to engage in that activity together.

On the other hand, if medical/religious reasons or general principal keep you from engaging in the activity of drinking, you should be clear about that upfront, just like someone with a cripping fear of heights should make that clear upfront if a friend asks them to go climb a mountain together, because it's a big obstacle that will prevent you from fully engaging in that activity. If someone has a problem with that, they're obviously a dick, because there's nothing you can do about it.

Nodal
06-23-2010, 06:46 PM
You shouldn't be suprised if someone is irritated with you in this situation. Drinking is an activity, and if you accept an invitation to get a drink with someone (and especially if you accept an invitation for someone else to buy you your drinks!), you're engaging in a kind of implicit social contract to engage in that activity together.

So the only reason they wanted to share company with you was to get drunk? No thanks.

estragon
06-23-2010, 06:52 PM
So the only reason they wanted to share company with you was to get drunk? No thanks.

No. Not at all. Rather, they were looking for someone to engage in the activity of drinking with. There's a big difference between drinking and getting drunk.

Also, let's remember the situation we're talking about here: Someone has offered to buy you an alcoholic drink with their own money, which is not your money. As has been noted multiple times, the awkward situation could have been averted by accepting the gift graciously but taking it slowly.

On the other hand, if that's not an activity you want to engage in, then you should say no in advance, or make clear in advance that you'd like to hang out with them and appreciate their generosity, but can't drink right now.

Saying yes, but then ordering a soda at the bar is a bit weaselly, in my opinion. It's really a worst of both worlds solution to this situation.

ravinoff
06-23-2010, 07:06 PM

Getting drunk is not what this is about. This is about cultural rituals and protocol. In certain situations offering someone a drink has been deemed an appropriate cultural ritual, a gesture of some sort of connection. To some people refusing this is the same thing as if they offer you a handshake and you just kept your hands in your pockets.

Is this logical, no, but being able to respond to this without wholly offending those to who this matters is useful.

Ethan
06-24-2010, 05:51 PM
I made myself a Negroni (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negroni). I am a happy man.

taidan
06-25-2010, 10:24 AM
There's a big difference between drinking and getting drunk.

Needs to be repeated.

Bergasa
07-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Summer always brings out the drinker in me, but this summer I have begun investigating liquor more instead of just beer. My favourite mixed drink has always been the classic Dr. Pepper and rum; it tastes great, even at a 1:1 ratio (though I usually go with 1 rum to 2 soda).

I was at a party the other day and I was drinking straight vodka on ice, and everyone was like super freaked out. Is it really that uncommon to drink vodka straight? I don't mind the taste.

Kirin
07-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Most people who aren't Russian mix it with something, but hey, whatever floats your buzz.

(Now, infused vodkas... I made some ginger/cinnamon vodka at home that's great as a mixer but is also quite delicious on the rocks by itself. And you could drink them in an apertif glass straight... Hmm, come to think of it, I guess it's just having it straight in a bigger glass that comes off as kind of odd.)

Olli T
07-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Most people who aren't Russian mix it with something, but hey, whatever floats your buzz.

(Now, infused vodkas... I made some ginger/cinnamon vodka at home that's great as a mixer but is also quite delicious on the rocks by itself. And you could drink them in an apertif glass straight... Hmm, come to think of it, I guess it's just having it straight in a bigger glass that comes off as kind of odd.)

Care to share the recipe?

Kirin
07-09-2010, 09:56 AM
It came for a "make your own liqueurs" book, which is pretty great, but I think I kind of improvised. I don't have the details handy, but most of the simple ones are very similar: you put vodka in a jar, add your flavor ingredients (usually chopped/muddled/etc), seal it, and leave it in the pantry for a couple weeks (or more, again, depending). You might need to shake it periodically depending on the additions. Then, add some simple syrup (somewhere between equal parts and half as much as the vodka, depending on how sweet you want it) and let it sit for another couple weeks. Then strain out all the bits and you're done, though of course it will keep pretty much forever.

Ethan
07-12-2010, 08:14 PM
I've got a friend in the Czech Republic who paid me back for a favor by sending me some fresh, unfiltered pilsner from one of his favorite brewpubs there. It went straight from the tap into a resealable bottle into his parents' suitcase, and I had it a few days later. It had a big, refreshing, golden-field-of-grain taste with a strong but super-clean bitterness that didn't leave much aftertaste. Its deliciousness and easy drinkability made me understand how the Czechs drink so much of it, and why they don't really care about any styles of beer except pils.

Paul le Fou
07-13-2010, 03:11 AM
Summer always brings out the drinker in me, but this summer I have begun investigating liquor more instead of just beer. My favourite mixed drink has always been the classic Dr. Pepper and rum; it tastes great, even at a 1:1 ratio (though I usually go with 1 rum to 2 soda).

I was at a party the other day and I was drinking straight vodka on ice, and everyone was like super freaked out. Is it really that uncommon to drink vodka straight? I don't mind the taste.

a 1:1 ratio in a highball drink is really strong. It's at least double-strength.

Also vodka straight is pretty uncommon. Not weird, but uncommon. Russians do it a lot (it sounds like a stereotype, but then I bartended a party of Russian immigrants), and I always get kind of a yuppie vibe out of it too.

Olli T
07-13-2010, 03:54 AM
My mother once brought me a great bottle of limoncello from Heathrow. She doesn't drink herself, so she had amazingly good luck picking it out (or maybe she just picked an expensive brand). I tried it with sprite, tonic, russian mix and probably something else too and it was great every time. I'm sad that it's all gone :(

Ethan
07-14-2010, 09:48 PM
I just picked up a bottle of Amrut Fusion, a single-malt whisky from Bangalore made from Indian barley and Scottish peat. The booze reviewer Jim Murray just recently declared it his 3rd favorite whisky currently available in the world — a most unexpected honor for a young, relatively cheap whisky from way, way outside of whisky country. I tasted some. Quite good! It has a slight carbon bitterness that I've never tasted in a Scotch before. It makes me very curious to taste Kavalan, the new Taiwanese single malt whisky.

Edit: I've had some more of this, as have a couple of my roommates. We all now agree that this is a spectacular whisky.

Kirin
07-25-2010, 11:52 AM
Finally got around to starting another batch of home-made liqueur. Figured I should do something before blackberries go out of season. This one is super simple: equal parts vodka and fresh blackberries, add a little lemon peel, muddle everything well. Swirl occasionally for two weeks in a jar, then add another equal part simple syrup. Swirl occasionally another two weeks, then strain through cheesecloth.

So, should be time for berry alcohol deliciousness in about a month.

shivam
07-25-2010, 12:21 PM
i had some amazing absinthe last night. it was light and refreshing and tasted like a fresh bundle of anise seedpods taken straight off of the plant. god i love this stuff.

NevznachaY
07-30-2010, 03:58 AM
I'm all over wine-based cocktails in the past few weeks. You won't believe how fresh this thing the Spanish call "calimocho" tastes (red wine + cola on the rocks).

Marfy
07-30-2010, 07:43 AM
I came back from Scotland for a deep, deep love for cider, especially pear. While options are really limited here in the States and it's way more expensive (79p for a three liter bottle of store brand cider? SURE) I've slowly been introducing it to my friends. They're all really weirded out by the taste because "it looks like beer but it's really really not beer!" After a glass, though, I feel strongly that everyone has converted into cider drinkers.

So far I've had Woodchuck pear and raspberry flavours. The pear was almost a little better than my beloved Bulmers Pear, which I often have trouble finishing a bottle of because it's so heavy. The raspberry was surprisingly tart, pleasantly less sweet than the pear and very crisp. I also had a bit of my friend's Hornsby's Green Apple, which was really, really good. It was super flavourful and light.

I'm not sure if this belongs here, the beer thread or restaurant thread, but what the hell: Taco Mac is an ATL-area sports bar/psuedo-Mexican restaurant with a GREAT beer selection. Every month they have a different beer of the month, and on Thursdays at 5PM, give away a fancy glass if you order that beer. This month it was Sam Adams; now I have a really cool, $20 Sam Adams beer glass that I got for the price of a pint.

I'm a sucker for stupid collectible shit, and the glasses are so cool that it's worth eating there over another restaurant.

MCBanjoMike
07-30-2010, 12:02 PM
I've been on a big dessert wine kick lately, spurred on by the twin facts that beer has a lot more calories than wine and muscats are awesome. What helps is that I've found a Greek muscat called Muscat de Limnos which is not only very tasty, but also pretty cheap. Rather than paying $18-20 for a bottle (which I could easily finish by myself in 4 or 5 days), I can get the stuff for a little over ten bucks. It's not available in every liquor store around here, but if I find some I'll buy two or three bottles to compensate.

The ladyfriend and I were also pleased recently when we discovered that ume shu, a Japanese plum wine that we grew attached to on our trip there last year, can actually be purchased in Montreal! It's from Gekkeikan and, while probably not a particularly great ume shu, it pleases us immensely. $15 for a bottle is perhaps expensive compared to what we were paying in Tokyo, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than flying back there to get some more. Although we're doing that too, I guess.

maeby
07-30-2010, 02:24 PM
I usually just drink beer! My favorites are Bud/Bud Light, (can't really tell the difference), Heineken, Corona, Imperial... Yeah, most of the light lagers. I like white wine okay too, but I seldom get drinks or shots... Shots fuck me up too much. And drinks are too expensive. But if I can afford it, I like a white russian or a strawberry daiquiri :)

cortbassist89
07-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Jager (is that right?) tastes a bit like liquid candy; rum tasted a bit like nasty. Typically I go for tequila or vodka if it's available, or just knock back whatever cheap beer my cheap friends bought.

I need some suggestions for what to order for my first bar trip on my 21st birthday (just three months helllyeeeah)

Paul le Fou
08-01-2010, 08:36 AM
My friends and I are planning a party. At this party, people will line up (and take) seven shots in the colors of the rainbow.

Right now we're thinking:

Red - sloe gin or just some clear alcohol (plain or fruit flavored) with grenadine
Orange - OJ and triple sec
Yellow - My friend had a suggestion but I had no idea what she was talking about
Green - midori
Blue - blue curacao
Indigo - blue curacao and cranberry juice??
Violet - blackberry brandy? creme de cassis?

NevznachaY
08-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Pernod Ricard is yellow - although the French rarely drink it straight (and it becomes opalescent when you add water).

Ethan
08-01-2010, 09:47 AM
My friends and I are planning a party. At this party, people will line up (and take) seven shots in the colors of the rainbow.

Right now we're thinking:

Red - sloe gin or just some clear alcohol (plain or fruit flavored) with grenadine
Orange - OJ and triple sec
Yellow - My friend had a suggestion but I had no idea what she was talking about
Green - midori
Blue - blue curacao
Indigo - blue curacao and cranberry juice??
Violet - blackberry brandy? creme de cassis?

How about a double rainbow?

Steve
08-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Lots of interesting discussion regarding the various social dynamics of drinking. It's something that I've noticed myself; I was pretty much a tee-totaler through most of college, but started drinking in moderation my senior year when I could legally go hang out at bars with my friends. I realized at that point that the general American attitude seems to be that people will respect you if you don't drink (unless they're dicks), but will certainly be more comfortable around you if you do. The use of alcohol as a social lubricant usually doesn't actually have anything to do with intoxication - I have no idea how it works, but it does.

Of course, one of the main reasons that I started drinking in college was that the school I went to was a wet campus, and was also the alma mater of the founder of one of the more reputable local micro-breweries (http://www.saintarnold.com/). He cut the school pub a break on prices, so having good, cheap beer available was a plus.

These days, I tend to stick with the more regional beers - I have yet to taste a bad variety produced by St. Arnold, and Shiner Bock is a perfectly serviceable cheaper and more common alternative. When I was in grad school, I drank a lot of Yeungling, but that was mostly because it was about the cheapest available thing that isn't absolute swill. Also, I think that the New England winter nearly drove me to alcoholism, but that's a story for another time.

I'm actually having a fairly difficult time trying to keep a well-stocked liquor cabinet for entertaining, as I've never really been a connesuir regarding boozahol. My rule of thumb has been to keep around everything that you'd need for a Long Island Iced Tea and a bottle of decent whiskey, which should cover most of the more frequently-requested libations. I kind of depend on the internet for label recommendations, except where vodka is concerned - I work with a fair number of Russians, and they seem to favor Russian Standard, which they recently started selling in the local liquor stores (it's pretty good stuff, I'd say on par or a bit better than Stoli, and generally a shade cheaper; of course, I don't think the distillery exports the really good stuff). I've also developed a taste for Jim Beam black as one of the more palatable but still fairly cheap bourbons that I've run across.

Also, I can't decide if this site (http://www.thedrunkenmoogle.com/) is awesome or pathetic.

Sir Sly Ry
08-18-2010, 09:07 PM
So I've been a beer and whiskey man for a long time, but I'm trying to branch out. Trouble is I hate liquor that isn't whiskey. But I've recently tried a rum that is decent. Mount Gay. I can sip on that and not make a face. It's a start.

Marfy
08-18-2010, 09:50 PM
I was somewhat forcibly served a Brandy Alexander (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandy_Alexander) by a well-meaning grandmother. It was incredibly sweet which was fine by my sweet tooth but I can't imagine anyone with even the slightest aversion to sweet things linking it. Thankfully, though, despite being chock-full of dairy products and alcohol (two tastes that do not taste great together in my stomach) I didn't get revoltingly ill. So uh, I didn't really want it, but it was good and didn't make me sick so A+?

SlimJimm
08-18-2010, 10:05 PM
I have become a big fan of making Gin and Tonics in my room instead of just getting beer.

Sir Sly Ry
08-19-2010, 11:30 AM
One of my buddies does that. I haven't had a gin and tonic in.....eerrrrr.......
many years. I should try one again.

Kirin
08-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Also, I can't decide if this site (http://www.thedrunkenmoogle.com/) is awesome or pathetic.

I somehow missed this earlier, but I'm'a go with awesome.

I was somewhat forcibly served a Brandy Alexander (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandy_Alexander) by a well-meaning grandmother. It was incredibly sweet which was fine by my sweet tooth but I can't imagine anyone with even the slightest aversion to sweet things linking it.

I like sweet drinks. I may have to try this. I should keep it in mind to order at a bar sometime.

Paul le Fou
08-20-2010, 10:11 AM
Gin and tonic is my favorite summer drink bar none. It's so crisp and refreshing!

MCBanjoMike
08-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Gin and tonic is my favorite summer drink bar none. It's so crisp and refreshing!

Hells to the yes, my good man. I tend to go for Tanqueray with Schweppes or Canada Dry tonic water. I'd like to try it with Hendrick's some time, but that stuff's pretty pricey. Bombay Sapphire is a good alternative, too, but I don't put it up on a pedestal the way a lot of people seem to.

Steve
08-23-2010, 08:29 PM
So I've been a beer and whiskey man for a long time, but I'm trying to branch out. Trouble is I hate liquor that isn't whiskey.

I'm kind of in the same boat - there are several liquors that I enjoy as counterpoints to other flavors in cocktails, but not many that I can drink neat. Recently, though, I've sort of stumbled across the heretofore unknown concept of good tequila. I don't know a whole lot about it, so I can't give any real recommendations (so those who are more knowledgeable, please feel free to chime in here); but in general, go for 100% agave, and for something with a little age to it (reposados or anejos, with the latter having been aged longer). Since it's also aged in oak casks (Wikipedia informs me that used casks from whiskey distilleries are actually sometimes used), it picks up some woody overtones vaguely similar to whiskey, but the underlying agave flavor makes it a different beast altogether. Pretty good stuff.

Also a prime ingredient in the margarita, about the only summertime drink that I find competitive with the gin and tonic in terms of general refresherative capacity. I'm pretty fond of this variation in particular (http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=943697).

Ted
08-26-2010, 12:10 PM

I'll second this. A good GnT is hard to beat.

I'm also pretty fond of cider. Woodchuck's always okay, except it gets too sweet after the second one. The 802 and the current summer seasonal (it has a touch of blueberry) are my favorites. Strongbow is nice for a drier cider. I hear Magner's is the bomb but it's hard to find in the Mid-West.

A gallon of cider is happily fermenting on my kitchen counter as I type, singing the faint music of freshly-hydrated Rice Krispies. It's been turning out like a flat Strongbow, and since I'm just starting out I don't have any bottling equipment so I can't carbonate it. I just back-sweeten with a little apple juice and it goes down real smooth. It's easy to drink it too fast, though. X) A gallon of grog for around $7 isn't too shabby.

Any other homebrewers out there?

Kylie
08-27-2010, 02:04 AM
I've made a few ciders. Each batch has been better than the last, and I'm actually PROUD of the most recent.

I have been known to enjoy a Pimm's Cup now and again. They're pretty great non-winter beverages. It doesn't quite have the backbone I want in the colder months.

SlimJimm
09-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Ok im too lazy to look through a bunch of pages in this and the drunk thread so give me a quick answer. Whats a good bourbon to grab at the store? And dont name some $100 bottle or some crazy crap thats only available over the internets. Whats a good bourbon I can go and pick up at almost any store?

Knight
09-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Ok im too lazy to look through a bunch of pages in this and the drunk thread so give me a quick answer. Whats a good bourbon to grab at the store? And dont name some $100 bottle or some crazy crap thats only available over the internets. Whats a good bourbon I can go and pick up at almost any store?
Well if you want cheap but surprisingly drinkable, try Ten High. It's a bourbon whiskey blend, and you can get a liter for like $10.

McClain
09-10-2010, 05:54 PM

I like Woodford Reserve for a nice, middle-of-the-road bourbon. Also Wild Turkey's Rare Breed is a decent drink.

I've found that most "mainstream" brands' single-barrel or reserve label are decent.

taosterman
09-10-2010, 06:26 PM

I'm not certain of its national availability, but Bulleit is very good and generally runs at $20-$25.

Marfy
09-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Apparently my college does not have alcohol insurance, so now they can only serve us beer in cups, which amounts to like half a beer at a time???

Ethan
09-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Bulleit and Knob Creek seem to be the de facto answers to the bourbon question.

Odin
09-11-2010, 06:17 AM
I'm not certain of its national availability, but Bulleit is very good and generally runs at $20-$25.

QFT. I haven't had many bourbons, but Bulleit is my clear favorite.

SlimJimm
09-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the names, im going to see whats at the stores around here.

ajr82
10-01-2010, 08:10 PM
The fact that you serve a drink in a martini glass doesn't make it a martini!

edit: Also, I restocked my liquor cabinet today, and cognac is pretty damn tasty. Of course, I had to sample all my new bottles...

ajr82
10-01-2010, 09:18 PM
So what do people think of soju, the Korean equivalent of sake? Personally, I really enjoy it. It's partway between sake and vodka, which is in itself interesting from a cultural standpoint, but I also find it quite tasty.

Lady
10-01-2010, 09:28 PM
delicious wine is delicious when doing housecleaning at night.

I went to a "pints and pies" pizza place tonight, and the menu specifically said to ask them about the microbrews and seasonals they had in stock, so i did, and the guy gave me such a funny look ;_; "uhh, we don't have those"
"B-BUT!!!"

ajr82
10-01-2010, 09:40 PM
delicious wine is delicious when doing housecleaning at night.

I always feel a bit out of place among my tres sophisticated friends for preferring both beer and liquor to wine.

edit: Also, what should my next step in getting acquainted with Scotch be? I've already liked Teacher's (ironically enough, my dad's, who was a teacher) and Glenfiddich 12 y.o.)?

Lady
10-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Rosa di Bianca isn't so much wine as it is candy.

Ethan
10-02-2010, 09:36 PM
I always feel a bit out of place among my tres sophisticated friends for preferring both beer and liquor to wine.

edit: Also, what should my next step in getting acquainted with Scotch be? I've already liked Teacher's (ironically enough, my dad's, who was a teacher) and Glenfiddich 12 y.o.)?

In order from lightest-tasting to peatiest-tasing, I'd recommend Cragganmore 12, Highland Park 12, Talisker 10, and Laphroaig 10 as good choices for your second single.

Paul le Fou
10-03-2010, 07:36 AM
Our rainbow shots went pretty great! I'll post pictures when I get them.

Red: Raspberry liquer
Orange: Watermelon liqueur with some OJ
Yellow: Advocaat
Green: Midori
Blue: Blue Curacao
Indigo: Raspberry liquer with a dash of blue curacao
Violet: Parfait Amour (some... thing)

Some of them were rougher than others. The Blue Curacao was pretty harsh, Midori was so-so, and at first we tried cassis for indigo but it was like cough syrup. We got a pretty good reception all-around!

Ethan
10-03-2010, 09:05 AM
I was reading through earlier posts here, and I missed the discussion of gins. Gin & tonic isn't my favorite drink, but I love gimlets, and gin choice is almost more important for a gimlet than for G&T (due to tonic water having such a big taste). Hendrick's can be nice if I'm in a cucumber kind of mood, but in terms of straight-up dry gins with no really distinctive flavors, I've been surprised to find that I consistently like Beefeater the most in a gimlet — much more than Tanqueray (wimpy-tasting) or Bombay Sapphire (too much grain alcohol nose). Citadelle is also an interesting gin, with its bright citrus flavors.

I still haven't yet tried our humble host's favorite, Tanqueray Rangpur. I have a feeling it would be better in a G&T than a gimlet, though.

I would drink a Beefeater gimlet so hard right now.

Flint Ironstag
10-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Had about three jugs of Dos Equis and four shots of Patron Silver. Feeling very good right now. :D

Ethan
10-16-2010, 11:46 PM
I already mentioned this in the user photoalbum thread, but I bought a bottle of Highland Park 18, which cost me the equivalent of $75 here and would have been more like $90 (plus tax) in the States. I didn't expect to find this level of whisky here, since the Scotch selection of most liquor import shops is limited to blended brands and a couple of the more common "Glen–" malts, but I was wandering through the booze section of my local high-end (by Hanoi standards) supermarket, and there it was. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm expecting great things.

I wish I could find some of the peatier malts in the $40-60 range here, but I guess the Vietnamese are more into the honey-and-flowers flavor profile. Johnnie Walker Blue ($200+ a bottle) is everywhere, but Laphroaig 10 ($45 a bottle, and inescapable in the States) is nowhere to be found.

Other alcohol experiences here: cheap draught lager for 15-40˘ a pint, impressive Czech-style microbrew for about $1.75 a pint, and various Vietnamese brownish-reddish mystery liquors infused with scary and disgusting things for 50˘ a shot.

I can't even tell you how much I've been craving a good West Coast IPA.

Kirin
10-19-2010, 11:11 AM
So I've heard from various quarters that because I like dark beers (stouts, porters), perhaps I would like bourbon better than I like, say, rum or whiskey or gin. This seems worth investigating, as I'm not sure I've ever really had bourbon, and certainly not *good* bourbon.

So, does anyone have recommendations? Is there "starter" bourbon? Or bourbon that my like of stouts and porters would recommend? Looking for something not too expensive to start with, at least until I determine whether I'm more interested in the genre...

fugu13
10-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Sadly, I know little about bourbon. It is a flaw I keep meaning to remedy, but never getting around to. The only bourbon I drink with mild regularity is in b&b, and that's probably too sweet for you.

Since I also like stouts a lot, I was wondering what whisky you've tried? I wouldn't be surprised if something nice with a lot of peat tasted good to you (since that's the type of whisky I like). I'm a huge fan of Laphroaig Quarter Cask, for instance. Make sure you try your whisky different ways -- I like whisky a lot more, usually, with just a drop or two of water in a dram. That probably applies to bourbon, too, so I'm going to pretend this whole aside is on topic . . .

Kirin
10-19-2010, 11:47 AM
The only bourbon I drink with mild regularity is in b&b, and that's probably too sweet for you.

I doubt it! I quite like sweet drinks. Totally girly mixed drinks are aces. The first beers I could stand were fruit lambics. I got into dark beers by way of Young's Double Chocolate Stout. *now* I drink some less sweet dark beers, but it took me quite a while to get there.

I've tried a few whiskeys and/or scotches and I think I kind of liked some of them. Just not enough to say "yes, I'm going to spend a bunch of money to acquire more of this drink". I don't remember exactly which ones they were, though. I don't think I've had that Laphroaig Quarter, though, so maybe I'll give it a go if I happen to see it somewhere.

fugu13
10-19-2010, 12:12 PM
If you like sweet (and butterscotch), try a sip of the quarter cask like this:

Take a sip of really cold ice water, then a sip of the whisky, and roll it around on your tongue. It should taste like a really complex butterscotch.

If you like sweet, then you might try B&B (note: like whisky and other expensive drinks, I recommend trying in a bar, first; a good bar will have it). It is very tasty.

mopinks
10-19-2010, 02:37 PM
BevMo's glorious 5˘ wine sale includes plum wine!

we have so much plum wine.

Dizzy
10-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Kids are dropping like flies thanks to Four Loko (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_%28drink%29)! It is supposed to hold the alcohol content of six cans of beer in one can, plus enough caffeine to keep you drinking even more cans of Loko. Until you die.

I must try this!

Falselogic
10-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Kids are dropping like flies thanks to Four Loko (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_%28drink%29)! It is supposed to hold the alcohol content of six cans of beer in one can, plus enough caffeine to keep you drinking even more cans of Loko. Until you die.

I must try this!

You watching MSNBC too?

blitzchamp
10-28-2010, 06:42 PM

I must try this!

Really I had one and didn't even get a buzz. I thought it was weak and tasted really bitter.

Paul le Fou
10-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Really I had one and didn't even get a buzz. I thought it was weak-

It wasn't. They're like 11-12%, which is almost twice the strength of beer. That's basically the strength of wine. Except it's in a huge-ass can, and has caffeine which means you don't feel as drunk. Which is the whole problem in the first place!

Dizzy
10-28-2010, 10:26 PM
You watching MSNBC too?

The same time as you! I've synchronized my routines to yours. Why? Well, you'll find out some day.

Ethan
10-29-2010, 10:11 AM
A real man would wield single malt Scotch in one hand and a double shot of Cuban espresso in the other. None of this baby candy shit.

blitzchamp
11-02-2010, 05:25 PM

I must try this!

Really I had one and didn't even get a buzz. I thought it was weak and tasted really bitter.

It wasn't. They're like 11-12%, which is almost twice the strength of beer. That's basically the strength of wine. Except it's in a huge-ass can, and has caffeine which means you don't feel as drunk. Which is the whole problem in the first place!

SO I had one of these over the weekend at a Halloween Party and it did not end well lol. I don't know why last time it didn't do anything to me...but NEVER again.

Sven
11-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Give me some good cocktails to mix with Scotch (don't worry, I won't be using the good stuff... or Black Label, for that matter) - we're having guests on Saturday and I need options.

Paul le Fou
11-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Give me some good cocktails to mix with Scotch (don't worry, I won't be using the good stuff... or Black Label, for that matter) - we're having guests on Saturday and I need options.

Rob Roy - add sweet vermouth (some people like only a few drops, some people like 1 part vermouth to 2 parts scotch. Experiment!) and a cherry. (Yes, it is in fact a manhattan with scotch instead of whisky. Can also do it with an Old Fashioned, where you add bitters and muddle sugar and a cherry, then a splash of soda to top it all off.)

Rusty Nail - track down some Drambuie, a liqueur that's basically scotch with honey and herbs. 1 part of Drambuie to 2 or 3 parts scotch. It ultimately tastes like scotch, but sweeter and with some more floral/herbal flavors thrown in.

The Godfather - Scotch and Amaretto. Same proportions as the Rusty Nail, Scotch gets 2 to 3 times as much as the liqueur.

Those are most of the basic ones. You can also make a collins with scotch (or, basically, anything ever). 2 oz. of the alcohol in a tall glass, sweet and sour mix or if you're fancy, lemon juice and simple syrup (how is that fancier) and a cherry on top. Add soda or sprite to make a fizz!

Doing a google search on scotch cocktails also turned up a bunch of variations on the basics (add vermouth to the rusty nail, kahlua instead of amaretto, etc. etc.) and also some pretty crazy ones.

Falselogic
11-03-2010, 11:10 AM

I think you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to drink it as is. Maybe mix it with a little water or pour it on ice.

Ethan
11-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Shitty Scotch, like Johnnie Walker Red or something, tastes quite good with dry ginger ale.

taosterman
11-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Shitty Scotch, like Johnnie Walker Red or something, tastes quite good with dry ginger ale.

Same goes for shitty bourbon. One of the easier ways to get drunk I can think of.

Paul le Fou
11-05-2010, 12:34 AM
The same goes for any kind of alcohol - the better it is the less you find yourself wanting/needing to mix it. It's just that there is a far wider variety and penetration of scotches (and other whiskies) at the high end than at the low end, as opposed to other hard liquors. Scotch isn't in magical class where you shouldn't be mixing it because of some innate property. You just wouldn't tend to mix alcohol from a $50+ bottle with some cheap soda pop or orange juice, be that vodka or scotch or gin. You still could if you wanted to though, and you wouldn't be a sinner or anything. (Just, why would you spend so much to turn around and mask the flavor in a bottle that actually has flavor?) I've basically just never taken much stock in "doing it wrong" arguments for any kind of food or drink or alcohol. Eating and drinking should be about enjoyment, not rules.

teekun
11-05-2010, 12:36 AM
The same goes for any kind of alcohol - the better it is the less you find yourself wanting/needing to mix it.

Yeah, I think the first time I realized this was when I had Patron for the first time. The idea that tequila could be consumed without burning and requiring a chaser of some sort blew my mind.

Sven
11-05-2010, 10:32 AM
track down some Drambuie,

I'm offended at the suggestion that I didn't have some already. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm going to go with Godfathers, since I vaguely recall having those at some point in the distant past and liking them quite a bit.

Paul le Fou
11-07-2010, 06:17 AM
I'm offended at the suggestion that I didn't have some already. :)

Here's a guy who knows what's up.

SlimJimm
11-07-2010, 08:27 AM
OK Ive found out I cant drink Bourbon. That stuff is harsh and horrible. $20 wasted!

Paul le Fou
11-07-2010, 07:53 PM
OK Ive found out I cant drink Bourbon. That stuff is harsh and horrible. $20 wasted!

Well there's your problem!

The cheaper end of bourbon is usually only good for mixing (and it makes an excellent mixer). To drink it on its own you'll need to plunk down for a somewhat better bottle. Note: this doesn't have to be worth it for you. Although you may not even like it for mixing, because flavors and personal taste. Don't worry, you're not a bad person.

cortbassist89
11-07-2010, 07:58 PM
I had a red bull vodka at a pool hall last night for $5.

It wasn't bad but I did feel a bit gipped when I thought about the fact I could probably just buy some vodka and some red bull for a better per unit price deal.

SlimJimm
11-07-2010, 07:59 PM
That $20 Makers Mark was enough for me. Really, I would have hated it even more if I spent like $50 and ended up hating it.

Ethan
11-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Maker's is fine to drink with Coke I guess, but you should at least try some Knob Creek or something before you completely write bourbon off.

It's not necessary to spend $50 to get a seriously good bourbon in the States. You do have to spend around that much to get a good Scotch, but that's because Scotch comes from Scotland and the import costs are built into the price. Bourbon is a better deal because it comes from Kentucky.

Paul le Fou
11-08-2010, 12:52 AM

It wasn't bad but I did feel a bit gipped when I thought about the fact I could probably just buy some vodka and some red bull for a better per unit price deal.

Welcome to drinking in public. It's always more expensive. (Just like eating out at restaurants is!)

Kirin
11-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Yeah, mixed drinks in particular are always way more expensive than making the same thing yourself at home. A really good bartender can be worth it, though.

On the up-side, though, if you find a drink you really love while drinking out, you can probably mass produce it at home without going broke.

Sven
11-08-2010, 12:15 PM

Geez, never go drinking in Toronto or NY. That would've run you $8, minimum, closer to $10 in some places.

Luana
11-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Or at a hotel bar! My best friend and I ran up a tab that was about the same price as our room when I did my Wheel of Fortune thing, and we really didn't drink all that much.

Winter
11-09-2010, 12:34 PM
I discovered recently I have a taste for whiskey. I'm wanting to explore this some more.

What are some good starter whiskeys that I can get relatively cheaply? I've been drinking Seagram's so far, and I think it's time I moved up to something better.

Alixsar
11-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Bad work day = BAD

Add Rum + Coke + Hockey = Good day

But if the team loses...Suddenly, Bad Day Appears Again! The solution? Add more rum!

Alixsar
12-02-2010, 01:47 PM
YOU GUYS YOU GUYS

GUYS!!!

LOOK AT IT (http://missionmission.wordpress.com/2010/12/02/bulleit-and-coke-in-a-can/)

I want that so badly.

Parish
12-02-2010, 03:16 PM
So, I thought the bar I was at the other night had Pimm's on the shelf behind a bunch of other bottles, but it turned out to be some other liquor with a similar label. So the bartender wasn't able to make me a Pimm's cup, which is a shame, because I was in the mood for one. She improvised, though, and made me a negroni with Angostura bitters rather than Campari. It was a pretty good substitute! Much more bitter aftertaste and lacking the cucumber garnish, but otherwise quite respectable.

Krakenbrau
12-12-2010, 07:06 PM
YOU GUYS YOU GUYS

GUYS!!!

LOOK AT IT (http://missionmission.wordpress.com/2010/12/02/bulleit-and-coke-in-a-can/)

I want that so badly.

Oh man. So do I. Damn you England!

Jeanie
12-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Hey guys, the best holiday drink? Hot Chocolate and Peppermint Schnapps. Add some Marshmellows and/or Whipped cream for taste.

Lady
12-17-2010, 03:22 PM
But eggnog and rum!!

Paul le Fou
12-18-2010, 09:32 AM
But eggnog and rum!!

This is the correct answer. Although I still don't know whether I like dark/spiced rum or bourbon better for my egg nog. Decisions, decisions...

Anyway, I like frangelico or kahlua or amaretto better in my hot chocolate.

Jeanie
12-18-2010, 02:09 PM
But eggnog and rum!!

Ah, let me say this

Hot Chocolate = Tasty, Peppermint Schnapps = Tasty. Ergo Tasty + Tasty = 2x Tasty or Very Tasty

Rum = Yum, Eggnog = Bleh!. Yum! + Bleh! = Meh..

And Kahlua wouldn't be bad either, but I'd rather save that for White Russians. Especially if I am about to watch The Big Lebowski.

ajr82
12-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Eggnog + Apricot Brandy

Kirin
12-21-2010, 01:46 PM
So several pages ago I mentioned I really liked the Black Irishman made by a local pub around here, with Coky, Vodka, Kahlua, and Guiness. Well, I was just at a holiday party with my wife's family and introduced it to my father-in-law and his brother, to great acclaim. My poor aunt-in-law really has an uphill battle keeping the menfolk from getting too tipsy at parties now that the next generation has started really getting into alcohol.

blitzchamp
12-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Hey guys, the best holiday drink? Hot Chocolate and Peppermint Schnapps. Add some Marshmellows and/or Whipped cream for taste.

In my house it's Coquito, a Puerto Rican holiday drink. Sometimes it has eggnog in it, but we don't use that. It includes rum, coconut milk, coconut cream, sweet condensed milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.

Paul le Fou
12-21-2010, 05:50 PM
In my house it's Coquito, a Puerto Rican holiday drink. Sometimes it has eggnog in it, but we don't use that. It includes rum, coconut milk, coconut cream, sweet condensed milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.

Holy shit

SlimJimm
12-22-2010, 04:16 PM
So one gas station on base sells some of the "bum wines". I know they are all probably horrible, but I am still tempted to try one or give one to a friend.

Alixsar
12-22-2010, 04:26 PM
So I was at this fancy restaurant on Saturday and they had this thing that had Bailey's and coffee, and something called Tuaca. Now I had been wine tasting all day but it sounded good so I considered it. I ended up not getting it because I didn't know what Tuaca was.

Then on Monday at work (I work at a grocery store) I see that we sell Tuaca. It's a vanilla liqueur. So in other words, it was a vanilla Irish coffee.

Best idea ever. And biggest missed opportunity ever.

taosterman
12-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Then on Monday at work (I work at a grocery store) I see that we sell Tuaca. It's a vanilla liqueur. So in other words, it was a vanilla Irish coffee.

Best idea ever. And biggest missed opportunity ever.

You also gotta have some Irish whiskey in there for it to be an Irish coffee.

Paul le Fou
12-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Technically Irish cream is made with Irish whiskey! That counts!

And Alixsar you're acting like you can't, you know, buy some tuaca and make it yourself. You can have it all the time!

Kirin
12-26-2010, 12:31 PM
I didn't really want to double-post the photo, but this post (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=932562) over in the xmas loot thread is relevant to our interests over here.

SlimJimm
12-26-2010, 09:28 PM
I didn't really want to double-post the photo, but this post (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=932562) over in the xmas loot thread is relevant to our interests over here.

Holt shit, i want to buy some of those so bad now!

Cyrael
12-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Buying some Vodka for a friend today. Saw a really cool looking bottle of a brand called Effen. It was on sale for about $18 for a 750ml bottle.

Anyone had experience with the brand, or can recommend another good one?

Kirin
12-30-2010, 01:25 PM
So the other night I tried some of the alcoholic choco-raspberry whip cream on top of a mug of eggnog, and it was actually really tasty. Not surprisingly, mixing ameliorates the kick-your-teeth-in flavor native to the whip.

Lady
01-14-2011, 11:18 PM
I think I made the wimpiest margarita ever, but I got some grapefruit flavored Boone's Farm (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FBoone%2 527s_Farm&ei=8zkxTcefIsH_lgeAi8XRCg&usg=AFQjCNGLsLeMDHI1j65CTpa9q8jKJ1UxyQ&sig2=BepV-RqxP7Uui4bHnikQ8A) and blended it together with strawberries and a few ice cubes.

if only I had something to add into it!

Billy Mays Is AWESOME
01-17-2011, 11:07 PM
The other night I drank:

9 beers.
2 Evan Williams and Cokes
3 Slow Gin and Dr. Peppers
2 more Jack and Cokes
1 Rasberry juice and Vodka
2 glasses of Merlot

And I didn't throw up or even get queasy.

Am I a freak?

Kirin
01-18-2011, 02:44 PM
You're a very expensive date, at any rate.

Nodal
01-18-2011, 04:02 PM
You may be an alcoholic.

Posaune
01-18-2011, 05:53 PM
The other night I drank:

9 beers.
2 more Jack and Cokes
2 glasses of Merlot

And I didn't throw up or even get queasy.

Am I a freak?

Sometimes, but not often, you just get lucky.

And how long was this night? Jeez louise! So much.

Ethan
01-18-2011, 06:42 PM
The other night I drank:

9 beers.
2 more Jack and Cokes
2 glasses of Merlot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uvg-ug9CvE

Billy Mays Is AWESOME
01-19-2011, 12:50 AM
Sometimes, but not often, you just get lucky.

And how long was this night? Jeez louise! So much.

It was a Saturday, so I started drinking at home at about 4PM, pre-gamed with some beer and Evan Williams and all the other shit I drank at a bar when I went to see some local music. I didn't stop drinking until last call at about 2:30AM.

Posaune
01-19-2011, 01:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uvg-ug9CvE

Hahaha. I was thinking about that a couple hours ago when I was thought about the giant list again.

Paul le Fou
01-19-2011, 01:47 AM
~20 drinks over 10.5 hours isn't actually that much if they were spaced out more or less evenly. You never really had more than 2-3 drinks in your system since they work their way out about 1/hour.

Steve
01-22-2011, 02:40 PM
I discovered recently I have a taste for whiskey. I'm wanting to explore this some more.

What are some good starter whiskeys that I can get relatively cheaply? I've been drinking Seagram's so far, and I think it's time I moved up to something better.

What type of whiskey? I'm not exactly an expert, but my personal experience is as follows:

Bulleit is pretty decent bourbon, and can generally be had in the $20-$24 range, I think. Speyburn is one of the cheaper single-malt Scotches that you're going to be able to find (I seem to recall it being $30-ish, but it's been a while, so I could be wrong), and it's okay - not really great, but okay. I know even less about Irish and Canadian whiskey, so I'll just let those be.

For these sorts of questions, I've found that the Beverage Tasting Institute's website (http://www.tastings.com/) is a decent resource, at least as a starting point in the absence of personal recommendations.

EDIT: And of course, I'm replying to a post that was made like 3 months ago. Probably not terribly useful, but oh well.

Posaune
01-24-2011, 11:46 AM
~20 drinks over 10.5 hours isn't actually that much if they were spaced out more or less evenly. You never really had more than 2-3 drinks in your system since they work their way out about 1/hour.

I guess I just assumed it ramped up after it got dark out.

Lady
01-24-2011, 05:58 PM
A friend of mine recommends this (cherry) to go in your Coca Cola.
http://www.whiterockdistilleries.com/assets/images/brands/rums/jack.jpg

Anyone else familiar?

Posaune
01-25-2011, 12:21 AM
I want coconut rum now. I got a Bacardi coconut rum once during Halloween of 2008, but I can only seem to find Malibu, which sucks because I want to do a taste comparison.

Also, Bacardi's bottles look like this: http://www.crownwineandspirits.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=111&SEName=bacardi-coconut-rum&vid=185 which gives me the excuse to say coconut like co-co-nut.

foxflyer5
01-25-2011, 07:28 AM
i picked up a bottle of Yamazaki yesterday. a japanese single malt whiskey, but without all the peat flavor of a scotch. almost tasted like a hybrid of scotch/bourbon. would definitely purchase again.

http://gearpatrol.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/yamazaki.jpg

fugu13
01-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Oh, it's a scotch in everything but name (the process is entirely the scotch process, it just isn't made in Scotland). It fits right in with the sweeter speyside scotches.

Lady
01-25-2011, 10:50 PM
Get *5 credits* done in *one* session!! This study examines the effects of alcohol on behavior and cognition. If you over 21 years old and interested in participating, please contact the laboratory at [redacted] or [redacted]. Provide us with your name, telephone number, and a time that would be convenient for us to call. We will contact you as soon as possible to provide more information and to conduct a telephone screening. You will need to complete the telephone screening to determine eligibility for this study. You must be 21 or older and healthy to participate in this study, and willing to consume alcohol as a part of the study.

:cool:

Kirin
01-26-2011, 11:15 AM
So a friend linked me to this drink which sounds both terrifying and possibly awesome:

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/25/now-drinking-the-grilled-cheese-and-tomato-soup-martini/

Billy Mays Is AWESOME
01-26-2011, 02:52 PM
So colleges are giving course credits to get trashed now? That's fucking cool.

McClain
01-30-2011, 12:13 PM
I "invented" a drink: The Icy Nipple. Basically, it's a buttery nipple shot on the rocks: One short of Irish Cream, one shot of butterscotch Schnapps. Yummy.

Billy Mays Is AWESOME
01-30-2011, 12:16 PM
I had four cans of that 4-Loko stuff last night. I'm still alive somehow.

Lady
03-10-2011, 08:11 PM
margarita night with the car team is so much better when you don't have to worry about driving 8)

Paul le Fou
03-14-2011, 12:21 AM
You know what's even better than umeshu (plum wine (not actually a wine))?

Brown sugar umeshu.

Know what's even better than that?

Yuzu umeshu.

Mara
03-19-2011, 10:45 AM
I'm really not much of a drinker, but I did try Guinness as well as absinthe for the first time on St. Patrick's Day. Conclusion: Guinness is pretty good. Absinthe was odd, and I don't think I like it.

Further conclusion: Having to drive home drunken coworkers is no fun. Drink responsibly, kids. Especially in front of clients. Kthx.

shivam
03-19-2011, 01:09 PM
absinthe is SO GOOD if you do it right. none of this burnt sugar nonsense!

Red Silvers
03-19-2011, 10:58 PM
Ecto-Cooler for adults. (http://www.retrojunk.com/details_articles/2682/)

Kirin
03-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Aw, green food coloring is cheating (though... seems somehow appropriate in association with a cheesy product of the 80s, I admit). But you can make better green drinks with Midori or something. Heck, Midori and OJ might be tasty.

Lady
05-09-2011, 05:49 PM
DeKuyper Razzmatazz Schnapps + raspberry vodka + maybe some soda? (that's what it looked like, anyway) = YEAHHHH

it was candy sweet, but still alcoholic, which is exactly what i want in a drink.

Beefy Hits
05-10-2011, 07:38 AM
I like me some girly drinks.

Smirnov Ice a few weeks ago and at the bar, and just bought a 6 pack of Mike's Lemonaide on Sat.

Kirin
05-10-2011, 11:30 AM
DeKuyper Razzmatazz Schnapps + raspberry vodka + maybe some soda? (that's what it looked like, anyway) = YEAHHHH
it was candy sweet, but still alcoholic, which is exactly what i want in a drink.

Right up my alley. <3 raspberry.

StriderDL
05-10-2011, 01:07 PM
I picked up some mead recently on a whim. Makes for some nice sipping, probably would pair amazingly with some fruit after dinner.

Alixsar
05-17-2011, 03:11 PM
I like me some girly drinks.

Smirnov Ice a few weeks ago and at the bar, and just bought a 6 pack of Mike's Lemonaide on Sat.

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine bought Cherry Lime Smirnov Ice since it's apparently new and he wanted to try it. It was not bad, actually! Which is amazing because Smirnov Ice is balls.

upupdowndown
05-19-2011, 06:48 AM
Does anyone have problems with bartenders not knowing how to make favored drinks? My go-to cocktails are pretty old-school (Sidecar, Gin Gimlet) and I find myself having to do some on-the-fly bartender training more often than I'd like. If you know how to make a Flirtini but can't make a Sidecar or a Gimlet, something is wrong with you and/or your establishment.

Yes, this is also a sign that I am being taken to some crappy bars and restaurants.

ThornGhost
05-19-2011, 06:58 AM
I've sort of got this one drink I'm chasing around.

I took a wild hair once and decided to try a Singapore Sling based on the fact that Hunter S. Thompson was drinking one at the beginning of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Just to try it out, you know?

Anyway, no one will make this damn thing. I've long since given up caring that it was associated with HST, now it's sort of a personal quest of mine. It's a fairly complicated drink and WAY out of favor with the cool kids. Anytime I get somewhere with a well stocked bar I'll see if they can make it. A lot of times they can't.

The drink has some history behind it that's fairly entertaining. The original recipe was supposedly lost, but they cobbled it back together as close as they could manage. It originated in one specific hotel in Singapore, but it spread around after the creator died.

A lot of times you'll find people that will make what they think is a Sling, but it's really this stripped down imitation version. That's still pretty good, but it's not the real thing.

Falselogic
05-23-2011, 10:16 AM
I made a drink last night! It needs tweaking! Help me TalkingTime you're my only hope

grapefruit juice
pear hard cider
strawberries
ice

blend

It was a little too sour... but is real close to being a delicious drink... I either need to sweeten it (more strawberries) or make it less sour (sweeter grapefruits or less juice?)

Paul le Fou
05-23-2011, 11:55 PM
The easiest way to sweeten a cocktail is add some simple syrup (http://cocktails.about.com/od/mixology/r/simple_syrup.htm).

If you're not wild about pouring more sugar into a glass of fruit juice for some crazy reason, try a sweeter grapefruit to start if you think you're pretty close to where you want it to be. Beyond that, I'd recommend mixing in a sweeter juice to substitute for part of the grapefruit. I don't know what the pear cider tastes like so I can't say off the top of my head which one would suit it best, though. Orange is common, even with grapefruit, but don't know how it would match the rest; apple might match the pear a but clash with the rest. More strawberries might help as well but they also add a tartness of their own, and might not be enough to offset the sourness of a big honking glass of grapefruit juice.

ajr82
05-25-2011, 08:49 AM
I've sort of got this one drink I'm chasing around.

I took a wild hair once and decided to try a Singapore Sling based on the fact that Hunter S. Thompson was drinking one at the beginning of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Just to try it out, you know?

Anyway, no one will make this damn thing. I've long since given up caring that it was associated with HST, now it's sort of a personal quest of mine. It's a fairly complicated drink and WAY out of favor with the cool kids. Anytime I get somewhere with a well stocked bar I'll see if they can make it. A lot of times they can't.

The drink has some history behind it that's fairly entertaining. The original recipe was supposedly lost, but they cobbled it back together as close as they could manage. It originated in one specific hotel in Singapore, but it spread around after the creator died.

A lot of times you'll find people that will make what they think is a Sling, but it's really this stripped down imitation version. That's still pretty good, but it's not the real thing.

So what makes it difficult to find? The only ingredient in the IBA Version (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Sling) that seems a bit unusual is the Cherry Heering, and couldn't you just use any cherry brandy for that?

Paul le Fou
05-25-2011, 07:20 PM
A lot of bartenders don't know how to mix drinks more complicated than a rum and coke. I used to have fun ordering a Tom Collins (not a difficult drink at all) and watching them squirm. Also, impressing older people who said "Well, since you can't make a Tom Collins-" with "One Tom Collins coming up!" And one more for the road TOM COLLINS

ajr82
06-03-2011, 04:25 PM
It's time to purchase some more gin. Any particular recommendations? I've had Bombay Sapphire and Beefeater, but if there's a specialty brand I should try, I'd be glad to hear about it.

Ethan
06-04-2011, 02:39 AM
Citadelle gin is interesting. Very tart and citrusy.

Heron
06-04-2011, 03:18 AM
I like Tanqueray number 10 myself. The flavour is smooth, citrusy and delightful

Paul le Fou
06-04-2011, 04:14 AM
I really need to try more gins than the basic available ones. THAT SAID, I know gin snobs scoff at it, but I rather enjoy Tanqueray, and Bombay Sapphire is pretty good too. They're standards for a reason (lowest common denominator??). Beefeater is... acceptable. (REALLY want to try some hendricks and tonic with a cucumber garnish one of these days.)

Then again, one of my favorite whiskies for mixing is Seagram's Seven. It just goes so well with coke etc.

White Russians. Man, these were my first real drink, and they just never get old. Even when you make them with coffee flavored soymilk because you're lactose intolerant.

Kirin
06-05-2011, 01:17 PM
So there's this "Kraken" rum that seems to recently be gaining currency on the intertubes... or maybe just among a certain cadre of webcomic artists I happen to read. Anyone have any experience with it? Worth tracking down for a taste?

Insta-edit: Found their web site and am not exactly encouraged by the fact that it seems to be approximately 100% about brand building and 0% about the actual drink in question. Hmm.

fugu13
06-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Kraken's a decent dark spiced rum. Good for variety, not a regular part of my liquor cabinet.

taosterman
06-05-2011, 04:40 PM
It's time to purchase some more gin. Any particular recommendations? I've had Bombay Sapphire and Beefeater, but if there's a specialty brand I should try, I'd be glad to hear about it.

Martin Miller's has a map on the bottle, so, that one. Uh, and it's pretty good.

Knight
06-05-2011, 07:40 PM
I've had Kraken rum, but I don't have much to say about it. The only other rum I've had is Sailor Jerry, and I just mixed them with Dr. Pepper, so it was mostly the same to me, but I think I liked Kraken better. Plus, the bottle is pretty cool.

Lady
06-05-2011, 09:12 PM
White Russians. Man, these were my first real drink, and they just never get old. Even when you make them with coffee flavored soymilk because you're lactose intolerant.

getting my sip on with onna these this very moment

Kirin
12-25-2011, 09:39 AM
So my wife and I went and hung out at our local bar for Christmas Eve, and they had some amazing xmas special drinks.

I had the Gingerbread Man: vanilla vodka, Canton, coffee & pumpkin liqueur, cream. I'd never heard of Canton before, it's a ginger-flavored liqueur from France based on a recipe from China evidently. So tasty.

My wife had a Dark & Snowy: rum, vanilla-cinnamon syrup, ginger ale. Also really good.

Knight
01-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Dark and Snowy sounds kinda tasty.

My wife just made hot chocolate and put peppermint schnaps in it, and while I haven't tasted it, I think it smells awful.

Kirin
01-03-2012, 02:50 PM
I like my hot chocolate with Bailey's or Kalhua in, personally.

ajr82
01-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Keep your martini, there's no better cocktail than the Manhattan.

Alixsar
01-19-2012, 11:40 PM
Manhattans are the shit. I hate martinis, actually. They're nasty.

Paul le Fou
01-20-2012, 12:39 AM
Keep your martini, there's no better cocktail than the Manhattan.

Yes there is

it's the Old-Fashioned Manhattan.

Muddle a cherry, a dash of bitters, and some sugar at the bottom of the glass. Build your Manhattan on top of that - easy on the vermouth, cowboy! And that had best be bourbon you're using there - and then add a splash of soda.

NOW you're drinking with class.

ajr82
01-20-2012, 12:45 AM
Muddle the cherry? I wouldn't do that in an actual Old Fashioned, so I'm certainly not going to do it in a Manhattan.

I like my Manhattans with Canadian whisky or rye, and a 4/1 whisky-vermouth ratio.

Olli T
01-20-2012, 01:04 AM
I have a sudden craving for Limoncello and tonic.