PDA

View Full Version : Suspensions of Liquid and Food Particulate

Lady
01-24-2010, 12:02 AM
That is, slushies, smoothies, and milkshakes. And certain dressings, I guess. But mostly the former!

I made a strawberry milkshake just now :333 It was very thick. I make mine with a fork because 1) that's how my dad taught me 2) I don't have a blender. Azar once told me I was a heathen for doing it like this, but who's going to have delicious milkshakes when the power goes out and somebody has to eat up all the ice cream and milk? HUH?

I worked at a local place called Whatta-burger (note difference from Whataburger). I refused to let them train me anywhere else, so I made drinks and shakes all summer. I'd work saturday nights and be too tired to shower, and regret the next morning as I sat in church rubbing specks of shake mix off my arms. Also had shake mix all over my tennis shoes, but they were old anyway. Shortly after I quit, there was that nation-wide peanut butter scare, and they stopped stocking peanut butter, so no more chocopeanut butter milkshakes at whatta-burger anymore. Those were the best.

I also have a sad story about smoothies: Once upon a time, I had a bunch of coupons for $1 off smoothies at this place called Inta Juice. They gave you a card, and when you got your twelfth smoothie, you'd get a free one! I worked for nearly an entire year drinking smoothies until I had 11 slots filled on the card. Then I lost my wallet. Seriously, I was almost more upset about my lost progress on the damn free smoothie than losing $35, my driver's license, and student ID. (and now that I think about it, I realize where my library card and blood donor card went off to. damn wallet loser)

Oh man, and directly related to the wallet story is the Blue Coconut Cream Slush™. This girl I was talking to was all nuts about Blue Coconut Cream Slushes™, so I decided I'd see if she was onto something. It was happyhour at Sonic, so it wasn't too expensive, but that was the last time I ever saw my wallet. It was so frustating 'hey, I had this thing ten minutes ago at sonic'. Anyway, the slushie was actually kinda disappointing. I'd prefer a cherry limeade slush, I think.

Parish
01-24-2010, 01:15 AM
Speaking of Sonic and shakes, have you ever had one of their coconut cream pie shakes (not slushes)? They're amazing. I wondered how they could be so good, and then someone told me they're made with cream cheese. If true, that might be the single worst thing a person could put in their body this side of canned pig brains. And much tastier.

Brickroad
01-24-2010, 01:19 AM
Relevant. (http://scibbe.com/index.php/2009/02/19/because-im-just-crazy-enough-to-drink-something-like-this/)

KCar
01-24-2010, 06:15 AM
Man, I thought Liquid was grounded from Talking Time.

I had no idea who Food Particulate was.

Jeanie
01-24-2010, 06:39 AM
A blended Root Beer Float is the best milkshake ever.

Search your feelings. You know this to be true.

Paul le Fou
01-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Milkshakes are basically the best things. There was this place called Tommy's (I think) in Cleveland Heights that had great milkshakes (also meat pies and hummus and generally Tommy's was great). I had a root beer flavored one! Although that one was disappointing, but the rest were great.

Also, the green tea smoothies from Jamba Juice were fantastic.

Dadgum Roi
01-24-2010, 09:14 AM
There's a statewide burger chain called Cook Out here that has something like 50 different milkshakes, many made with fresh fruit. Watermelon milkshakes are great in the summer, and the banana pudding milkshake is pretty mean, too.

Kirin
01-24-2010, 01:38 PM
I just had a peanut-butter chocolate milkshake at an old-timey soda shoppe in Pittsboro yesterday and it was delicious.

I'm also fond of making smoothies out of some subset of yogurt, bananas, ice cream, raspberries, blackberries, juice, ice, and whatever. And actually, while fresh berries are the bestest, if they're out of season frozen berries make a good shortcut, being fruit and ice in one convenient package.

Posaune
01-24-2010, 04:11 PM
There's an indonesian restaurant in my hometown that makes this really good milkshake/slushy with condensed milk, avocado, ice, and coffee beans.

Silent Noise
01-24-2010, 06:15 PM
http://midlifegamer.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/metal-gear-solid-4-20050915072840184.jpg

LIQUID!
I am so sorry.

Lady
12-26-2010, 07:51 PM
Resurrecting this thread on the occasion of my wisdom teeth removal tomorrow!

I got a blender for Christmas, and Kishi and I picked up a lot of fruit today at the grocery store. I'm not sure how well these will all blend, but I have available for me
apples
oranges
carrots
cucumbers
avocado
tomatoes
grapefruit
strawberries
blackberries

I'm actually really interested in the vegetable side; I've always wanted to try carrot juice!

Ideas, suggestions? I think we have plenty of yogurt and honey around. Also, I've never blended anything, soo uh ?_?

Ethan
12-27-2010, 03:21 AM
The best shake:

•1.5 slightly overripe frozen bananas.
•milk
•a small dollop of peanut butter

Simple; perfect. You don't even need the peanut butter, really.

Also, Silent Noise has been banned for nearly a year and I still have a significantly lower posts-per-day average than he does. Jeez.

Bit
12-27-2010, 05:50 AM
Do you have any chocolate, Lady? Strawberry and Chocolate are soul mates!

Kirin
12-27-2010, 08:57 AM
Also, Silent Noise has been banned for nearly a year and I still have a significantly lower posts-per-day average than he does. Jeez.

Silent Noise was banned, huh? Guess I'm still succeeding in ignoring the right threads.

...except for the part where I've never seen that Bit avatar before, 'cause it is fantastic.

Sorry, sorry, topic. Um, this time of year I feel like you could probably get all the calories you need through eggnog alone...

Balrog
12-27-2010, 09:07 AM
I like those Jamocha shakes from Arby's :I

ASandoval
12-27-2010, 09:31 AM
Man, have you guys ever had a shake from Chik-Fil-A?

I know it's a fast food joint, but the shakes are on par with any restaurant. Seriously.

Yimothy
12-29-2010, 04:32 AM
I got a blender yesterday. Sadly, when I got it home I found it was broken, and the blades wouldn't spin! I got another blender today, and the train to milkshake city is now departing.

I fired up with a choc-nut-malt concoction: Milk, Horlicks powder, peanut M&Ms, and choc-chip ice cream. It was pretty good, even though my arteries straw kept getting blocked.

dangerhelvetica
12-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Here's what I imagined when I read the title of this thread:

http://i.imgur.com/zPzT9.jpg

Although I suppose calling small edible balls "food" is a bit generous.

Epithet
12-29-2010, 06:34 PM
The drink was marketed as a "texturally enhanced alternative beverage"

I love the descriptions they come up with for these weird food products. They can't bear to just call it a drink.

An avocado milkshake would be really strange. I wonder what it'd taste like, maybe sugary guacamole.

Mr. J
12-29-2010, 07:31 PM
An avocado milkshake would be really strange. I wonder what it'd taste like, maybe sugary guacamole.

Actually it would probably be very good. Avocados are super rich and creamy (when they're ripe). Avocado strawberry may actually be fairly decent.

Kishi
12-29-2010, 08:48 PM

If it were anything like an avocado smoothie (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?p=823773#post823773), it would be completely maddeningly euphoric.

Ethan
12-30-2010, 08:05 AM

They're very common here. Actually, they're pretty common in the States as well. Most Pan-Asian smoothie joints should offer an avocado freeze. Personally I find them a bit too thick.

Lady
01-10-2015, 03:00 PM
after a break for christmas, I am back on the blendie train (I'm too impatient to blend for a long time, so they're not really smooth, they have a lot of chew)

this time I tried kale for the vegetable base, and added grapefruit and kiwi fruit (as well as strawberry and so much delicious pineapple. In fact, the pineapple was so delicious I kind of kept eating it after I had added all I wanted into the cup). Then, sprinkle flax seeds on top, and since I had it left over from last night, filled it with green tea instead of water for the liquid. It's not nearly sweet enough, since 1) grapefruit and 2) unsweetened green tea, but I was really intrigued by the relationship between grapefruit and kiwi fruit. I kind of want to experiment more with them without the other flavors involved. I like the chew the kale has, though.

Büge
01-10-2015, 09:38 PM
I tend to have smoothies for breakfast these days. My usual recipe is banana, frozen blueberries, peanut butter, chia or hemp seed, spirulina powder, and fresh strawberries. Any suggestions to change it up? I've added avocado before and that made it very puddingy.

Solitayre
01-10-2015, 09:51 PM
I use ground flax seed and yogurt in my smoothies. If you can get those for a good price, try them.

Lady
01-11-2015, 10:53 PM
I was really intrigued by the relationship between grapefruit and kiwi fruit. I kind of want to experiment more with them without the other flavors involved.

tonight's was spinach, 1/8 grapefruit, 1.5 kiwi, couple of wedges of pineapple and strawberries with chia

Lady
05-19-2015, 09:30 PM
tried making mango lassi tonight. The flavor wasn't too bad, but I didn't really get it blended enough. It was still pretty chewy.

ghosttaster
05-20-2015, 10:35 AM
I guess this isn't really a suspension, but I made infused oil the other day for part of a sauce at my job.

EVOO infused with jalapeno, lemon and lime zest, and lemongrass, added to a mixture of rib stock, fish sauce, and lemon juice. Needs some tampering, but I'm workin' on it.

Shagohod
05-21-2015, 09:32 AM
A burger place here called Stufrageous has Fruity Pebbles as a mix-up option for their shakes. It's quite good.

ArugulaZ
06-03-2015, 11:13 PM
Wouldn't they get caught in the straw? Or do they get soggy enough that they'd fit?

Shagohod
06-04-2015, 09:39 AM
They use bigger straws. Kind of like Boba tea straws.

Droewyn
06-04-2015, 09:45 AM
Oh man, I want some boba tea now.

Does boba count for this thread? I should think it would count. It's just a very... unsubtle suspension.

Adam
06-04-2015, 04:23 PM
The best pearl tea place around here actually does suspensions of liquid and food particulate in which to put said pearls, so instead of boring milk tea with a squirt of sesame-tasting syrup, they give you a sesame seed smoothie.

S-so good!

Lady
06-21-2016, 07:41 PM
the advent of stone fruit season means that I am whipping out the blendies again.

I'm really curious to see whether I could make a passable peace salsa, assuming that I cubed half of it separately and added it back in after blending the rest. I made one tonight with peach and chard, and just thinking about adding tomato, onion, cilantro started making my mouth water.

Torzelbaum
06-21-2016, 08:20 PM
I'm really curious to see whether I could make a passable peace salsa, assuming that I cubed half of it separately and added it back in after blending the rest. I made one tonight with peach and chard, and just thinking about adding tomato, onion, cilantro started making my mouth water.Give peace salsa a chance. (Sorry...)

Lady
07-24-2016, 04:01 PM
The nice thing about stone fruits is that even if they're all wrinkly and squishy, they still blend up nice.

1 peach
~1/3 cup blueberries
1 mint leaves
juice from 1/3 lemon (I just squeezed until it was tangy enough to offset the sugar)
wates to thin to desired texture (1 short spurt from the sink)

delicious!