PDA

View Full Version : Nasty Bits

Dadgum Roi
01-24-2010, 09:31 AM
In which we discuss cooking and eating the...more esoteric parts of animals.

Pig heads are one I'm curious about. Piggly Wiggly sells them split and cleaned for like $2.50 each, and they're huge. What could I do with this? Ditto pig's feet. I am completely clueless outside of pickling them, and I don't like pickled anything enough to do it myself. I may try grilling/slow-smoking some tomorrow.

Dizzy
01-24-2010, 11:56 AM
I would consider the fat of any animal nasty bits.

One time I had KFC and discovered the brain of a chicken in the meal.

Dadgum Roi
01-24-2010, 11:59 AM
I would consider the fat of any animal nasty bits.

Fat is wonderful. My wife and I were talking about this the other day. There's a show on one of the cable channels called BBQ Pitmasters, and one of the popular meats is brisket- but everyone trims all of the fat off(a brisket has a large pad of fat on the underside). I leave it on, so that when you slice the meat, there's a small rind of fat on the outside. Very flavorful.

Skin is also a form of fat, and is usually great to eat.

Dizzy
01-24-2010, 12:02 PM
But fat is all... mushy and rubbery. Eck! Maybe its my experience with pig fat that turned me off.

Ethan
01-24-2010, 12:06 PM
If the fat is rubbery, that just means it's underdone. Almost all parts of the animal can be turned into good food if you cook it right, including connective tissue.

Pho with soft tendon is best in life.

shivam
01-24-2010, 12:11 PM
pig head is a key componant in ramen broth.

Lady
01-24-2010, 12:23 PM
What is the stuff around the bone in ribs? Because that texture about made me gag, as delicious as it tasted.

Lucas
01-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Pig cheek can be pretty good slow-cooked. I've only had it from a whole pig pit roast though; no idea how to cook a pig's head individually.

Slow-smoking anything is never a bad idea, though.

Dadgum Roi
01-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Pig cheek can be pretty good slow-cooked. I've only had it from a whole pig pit roast though; no idea how to cook a pig's head individually.

Slow-smoking anything is never a bad idea, though.

Not being connected to the rest of the pig shouldn't affect how it cooks, though. I haven't had it at any pig pickings here because the heads are usually removed from barbecue pigs.

Dadgum Roi
01-24-2010, 01:05 PM
If the fat is rubbery, that just means it's underdone. Almost all parts of the animal can be turned into good food if you cook it right, including connective tissue.

Yeah, I cook brisket for 12-15 hours, so the fat is very melty by that point.

Dadgum Roi
01-24-2010, 01:20 PM
pig head is a key componant in ramen broth.

I'd probably have to drive an hour to Raleigh to hit up an Asian market for the stuff to make it with. I don't know why ours went out of business, there are a ton of Japanese and Koreans in this town.

FSS
01-24-2010, 02:36 PM
They sell chicken feet at a grocery store called Eurofresh. I've never had the guts to try them though.

NevznachaY
01-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Boiled cow tongue is an essential part of Russian cuisine.

Cow's brains as a dish are not so common anymore, but they were a significant part of 19th and early 20th century urban Russian culture.

Red Hedgehog
01-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Fish cheeks (specifically cod cheeks) are delicious.

Ethan
01-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Fish cheeks

So true. Fish cheeks are pretty much the reason why I prefer steamed fish to fried fish. When you fry it, the cheek meat basically atomizes into the friedness.