PDA

View Full Version : Food Fun Club 1

Loki
01-25-2010, 11:04 AM
Food Fun Club 1
1/25-2/7

For the first ingredient there were several specifications I wanted to keep in mind: something that wasn't too exotic, was vegetarian, and was in season. What could fit these parameters and still produce a lot of interesting dishes?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/fresh-orange.gif

Why, the humble orange of course.

From fruit salads to marmalades to juliuses the orange has long been a staple of light, sweet dishes. But it need not be confined to jams and deserts. Consider, for example, the orange chicken.

Your goal for the next two weeks is to create a dish that embodies the courteous orange. It can be anything you want as long as orange is a main ingredient. Bonus points will be awarded for originality. Pictures are a must. Stories of successes and failures are recommended. And recipes are always nice.

Good luck and happy cooking.

Reinforcements
01-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Your goal for the next two weeks is to create a dish that embodies the courteous orange. It can be anything you want as long as orange is a main ingredient. Bonus points will be awarded for originality. Pictures are a must. Stories of successes and failures are recommended. And recipes are always nice.

Allez cuisine!
Fixed.

pence
01-25-2010, 11:23 AM
This is significantly less intimidating than natto.

Daikaiju
01-25-2010, 11:26 AM

What isn't?

Lucas
01-25-2010, 11:26 AM
This might be the excuse I've been looking for to candy some orange peel. Not very original, but delicious.

Loki
01-25-2010, 11:34 AM

You could make orange natto.

Silent Noise
01-25-2010, 11:44 AM
I made orange juice and then I added pomagranate juice to it, it tasted good.

Ethan
01-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Sometimes, when I buy a crate of clementines, and one of the clementines at the bottom was crushed in transit and has been seeping and slowly dying for weeks, I find that the whole crate smells like clementine natto when I get it home. That's pretty close to orange natto!

shivam
01-25-2010, 01:01 PM
ooh. alright, son, game's on.

SDMX
01-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Oh geez oh man, if I can get off my fat ass and actually get on this, I will fucking wreck you folks. Or we talking standard oranges, or is this challenge open to the mysterious blood variety as well?

Calorie Mate
01-25-2010, 01:16 PM
Are we going to vote and declare a winner, or...?

Violentvixen
01-25-2010, 01:18 PM
I am excited for this! Orange really does work for any course of any meal, so props on a great first choice.

Ample Vigour
01-25-2010, 01:20 PM
It's on, motherfuckers.

Loki
01-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Oh geez oh man, if I can get off my fat ass and actually get on this, I will fucking wreck you folks. Or we talking standard oranges, or is this challenge open to the mysterious blood variety as well?

Blood, Navel, Persian, and Valencia are all fine. Mandarin, Clementine, and Bergamot are not.

Reinforcements
01-25-2010, 01:46 PM
I have a dish in mind and it includes tangerines as well as oranges but I'm fuckin' doing it. I'm making it happen.

Dizzy
01-25-2010, 01:46 PM
Well I'll just go out and buy myself some chocolate oranges, put 'em on a pan, take pictures of them coming out of an oven... =P

Ethan
01-25-2010, 01:48 PM
I don't think we should declare a winner. If one person ends up doing something that towers above all else, we will react to it as such, but I think any kind of formalized competition spoils the ideal of just trying to get everyone to cook something they normally wouldn't have cooked. I wouldn't normally have had a mind to make a dinner using oranges this week, but now I do, so it's already a success.

But I definitely don't plan on tackling any of these ingredients with the mindset of making something super-innovative and spectacular that blows everyone's skirt up. That's not my style.

Stiv
01-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Oranges? I think that I just might do this.

spineshark
01-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Sweet, now I'll try to figure out something like the orange vinaigrette I had at a pizza restaurant a few months back.
This reminds me of a crazy idea I got a while ago, to make something with beets and blood oranges, for maximum staining potential. And hopefully, yellow tomatoes, because they are awesome.

Calorie Mate
01-25-2010, 02:31 PM
I don't think we should declare a winner. If one person ends up doing something that towers above all else, we will react to it as such, but I think any kind of formalized competition spoils the ideal of just trying to get everyone to cook something they normally wouldn't have cooked. I wouldn't normally have had a mind to make a dinner using oranges this week, but now I do, so it's already a success.

But I definitely don't plan on tackling any of these ingredients with the mindset of making something super-innovative and spectacular that blows everyone's skirt up. That's not my style.

I declare myself the winner of this and every subsequent Food Fun Club, then.

SDMX
01-25-2010, 02:44 PM
I declare myself the winner of this and every subsequent Food Fun Club, then.

You'll have to tear that trophy out of my cold dead heads, hombre. I'd love to get ideas for interesting dishes from this thread, but I plan to drop flavor bombs like the world has never seen.

Calorie Mate
01-25-2010, 02:48 PM
I'm actually a pretty bad cook, which is why I jumped at my chance to be declared winner for all time.

Ethan
01-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Just got back from the cutlery store. Microplane, bitches.

SDMX
01-25-2010, 03:45 PM
Just got back from the cutlery store. Microplane, bitches.

oh fuck it is so on =D

Pseudonym
01-25-2010, 08:01 PM
Oh, hey. I got oranges in my fridge. I should make something. But what? Hmmmm...

Bergasa
01-25-2010, 09:14 PM
I really like this idea. I don't cook very often, but I've been meaning to do more. This will give me incentive to at least do it once every two weeks now! Looking forward to everyone's orange creations.

Ethan
01-25-2010, 09:36 PM
I've got an idea that involves pork.

This statement pretty much applies to every aspect of my life at all times, so I'm not giving anything away.

SDMX
01-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Oh it's all coming together now...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/somniamagus/FoodPhotos/th_photo.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v87/somniamagus/FoodPhotos/?action=view&current=photo.jpg)

EDIT: Fuck, no it isn't. Changing tactics. This can still work, but I definitely borked the first run. DAMN YOU PECTIN.

Torgo
01-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Yes, I do think I shall be participating in this.

DemoWeasel
01-25-2010, 11:47 PM
I peeled an orange and then ate it.

The End

Red Hedgehog
01-26-2010, 12:08 AM
I'm going away this weekend through Tuesday and already bought my groceries for this week, but come Wednesday, I will join in the orange goodness.

Issun
01-26-2010, 03:32 AM
Someone figure out how to make Orange Juliuses, stat!

Kirin
01-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Oh, hey. I got oranges in my fridge. I should make something. But what? Hmmmm...

This, only we've actually been planning to use them for something, so we should actually get around to it soon. It's nothing at all complicated or terribly exciting but it ought to be delicious.

SDMX
01-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Someone figure out how to make Orange Juliuses, stat!

Ask and ye shall receive. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGsEwnGCJMA#t=07m03s)

Hey, apparently timestamp linking doesn't work in Feather. Lame. Start at 7:03 if you get sent to the beginning.

Issun
01-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Ask and ye shall receive. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGsEwnGCJMA#t=07m03s)

I may have to try that some time. I've looked at other recipes on the web, too. One thing they all have in common is that they come close.

First thing I do if I win the lottery is get an Orange Julius stand in my house. Frothy, citrusy-sweet, cold.... I want one! But... not badly enough to bus down to Seattle Center.

NevznachaY
01-27-2010, 06:08 AM
Pfft, I prefer apples

(I'll be totally doing something with poultry!)

Reinforcements
01-27-2010, 07:31 AM
Between this thread and the latest post on Bakespite, I really want a chocolate orange.

pence
01-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Alright, I got oranges, but for now they're just sitting in a basket being oranges.

Pseudonym
01-28-2010, 08:22 PM
I think I may break out the DC comics health food cookbook for this!

Violentvixen
01-28-2010, 08:23 PM
I went through my cookbooks and found a bunch of recipes! This weekend will be ingredient buying time.

shivam
01-29-2010, 12:01 AM
what sorts of oranges are you folks getting?

pence
01-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Lunchtime snacktime update, getting the easy stuff out of the way edition.

Extra orangey fruit salad

The fruit is stuff I bought yesterday, I used
2 oranges
1 banana
1 apple

and cut everything into bite sized pieces, mixing it together.

The sauce is all stuff I had handy, based on a recipe in my newb cookbook:

http://i45.tinypic.com/2cops90.jpg

1/8 cup honey
1/8 cup white cooking wine
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
A little ginger paste.

Stirred together in a saucepan and brought to a boil, then taken off the heat.

Poured the sauce over the fruit, tossed it again, covered it and let it sit in the fridge for 30 minutes while I ate lunch.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2z4boxw.jpg

I just tried some of it to see, and it came together pretty well! I think I need a more tart flavor, like strawberries, in there. Plus it's pretty boring-looking and colorless as-is. The oranges are definitely the stars of the show.

Kirin
01-31-2010, 05:32 PM
Ok, so it's not very complicated or exciting, but we made a double portion of this Chai of the Gods recipe (http://mornara.wordpress.com/2010/01/05/chai-of-the-gods/), with the orange/molasses variation at the bottom. Results were... mixed.

I'm not sure whether we just had way too big and juicy an orange, or if we didn't get the heating cycles quite right, but a huge amount of the milk ended up curdling. Now, this wasn't a total loss or anything - we just strained the results and the resulting hot drinks were indeed quite tasty. (I actually wasn't sure how much I liked it at first but it grew on me and I wanted more by the time I got to the end.

Meanwhile, I looked at what remained in the sieve and realized that it was more or less an extremely weird flavor of cottage cheese (or probably more accurately paneer). So I squeezed it out a bit and saved it in the fridge. A day later I've been poking at it and tasting it and I still can't decide whether it's compeltely revolting or kind of tasty. Possibly both!

Ethan
02-01-2010, 05:14 PM
I harbor no secrets, so I'll say that I'm hoping to prepare a slow-cooked pork shoulder with an orange saffron marinade this weekend. I'd like to do a sunchoke mash to go with it.

Now that I've posted it here, there's a greater chance that I will get off my ass and put this together.

Edit: Apparently this will be the commemorative dinner for my 1000th TT post. Finally, I have gone legit.

shivam
02-01-2010, 05:21 PM
so i bought oranges to do this, and ended up eating them =(

Dizzy
02-01-2010, 08:02 PM
You could have put whip cream on them and called it a dish.

Ethan
02-06-2010, 05:08 PM
I've made a marinade/simmer sauce out of the juice of 5 oranges, several strands of saffron, a few shakes of dried aleppo pepper, a few chopped shallots, a few tablespoons of ponzu sauce, some dried orange peel, and the zest of 2 oranges. I have a 3 pound pork loin roast local, from C&D farms sitting in this concoction, inside of a dutch oven, inside of my oven, at 325. This is not based on a recipe or anything, so I'm not sure how it will turn out. I have a feeling that I'll need to spoon out a bunch of the liquid manually before it's done. We'll see.

To get the orange juice, I used my brand new $3 wooden citrus reamer. Fun.

Matchstick
02-06-2010, 05:54 PM
I had an idea to make something, but the blizzard scuttled my plans. I think I'll still do it, but it will be later next week before I can get all the bits together, I think.

Ethan
02-06-2010, 07:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/GRXwy.jpg
The pork roast was from C&D farms, which is in Indiana. I gave it a head start by soaking it in some crappy reconstituted orange juice while I prepared the real marinade, which used juice squeezed from five oranges. That's why it appears a bit grey in this shot.

http://imgur.com/3yxUJ.jpg
Aleppo pepper is pretty tasty. I was just introduced to it by a friend. Should have used more. Other items in the marinade: ponzu sauce, shallots, saffron.

http://imgur.com/oO1bk.jpg
Marinating.

http://imgur.com/bUnXn.jpg
After the meat and the marinade (simmer sauce?) were in the dutch oven, I added a bit more fresh orange juice, some dried orange peel I found at my local Persian grocery, and lots of zest.

http://imgur.com/Za1IM.jpg
I cooked the roast, inside the dutch oven, for 2 hours or so at 325-350. About 2/3 of the way through the cooking, I poured off most of the liquid to let the meat brown a bit. It came out looking pretty nice.

http://imgur.com/ibJLH.jpg
I made some quick mashed potatoes to go with it. The pork came out pretty good, and was definitely filled with orange essence. The middle of the roast was a bit dry, but the fattier meat from the sides was excellent.

In retrospect, I should have added more heat, and I should not have had so much liquid in the dutch oven to begin with. It would have been better with more marinating time and a dryer cooking process. It also would have been better if I'd used a fattier cut like a shoulder (my original intention) or butt instead of a loin, and used a slow cooker (my original intention) instead of a dutch oven. I was forced to compromise due to circumstances beyond my control.

I have a ton of leftovers, so I'm thinking about cutting/pulling it into smaller bits and then re-simmering those to caramelize it a bit more.

Overall: middling success!

Reinforcements
02-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Hey, this thing! I meant to take more pictures and also meant to post this sooner, but WHATEVER. I made spinach and argula salad with orange slices, pomegranate seeds and citrus dressing. The main course was seared scallops over quinoa with a citrus glaze. The glaze didn't reduce quite as much as I wanted, but overall it was very good. Fortunately, despite how delicious they are both scallops and quinoa are very quick and easy! Honestly, the worst part of the cooking was juicing all those fruits. All together 4 oranges, 4 tangerines, and 1 lemon gave their lives for this meal.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac287/frankenchoky/IMG_0148.jpg

Ethan
02-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Nice color on the scallops.

Kyven
02-06-2010, 09:15 PM
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8277/img3221fp.jpg

I cheated a little on this. I had half a batch of cookie dough in the freezer from a couple weeks ago and only needed to add the orange zest.

1 stick butter
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
teaspoon salt (optional)
3 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup walnuts
The zest of 1 large orange (I used a Cara cara)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Beat together butter, shortening, and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla extract; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Slowly stir in oats, chocolate chips, walnuts, and orange zest. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Loki
02-09-2010, 08:25 AM
Well, that's two weeks. Looks like we got some nice dishes! Good job everybody. Not me though. My slow cooked orange chicken breasts dish didn't work out so well. I'd post pictures but the experience left a bitter (and bland) taste in my mouth. I blame the orange.

Also, the winner?

Shivam's "Just Eat Them Already!" by a landslide.

Violentvixen
02-09-2010, 08:52 AM
How would everyone feel about making food fun clubs a month long? I have a stack of recipes I want to do but only two weekends to buy/make stuff is just not enough. Two weeks sounded fine to me initially but this just flew by.

Alternatively, how would people feel about me posting the woulda/shoulda/coulda recipes? Some of them look really tasty.

NevznachaY
02-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Awww, but don't lock this thread. Puh-leaaase? I still want to contribute later (couldn't find the time last week).

Loki
02-09-2010, 09:00 AM
Yeah I wasn't going to start the club 2 one until next monday but if you guys want two more weeks we could do that too.

Pajaro Pete
02-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Hey if I were to make this would it count (http://thebittenword.typepad.com/thebittenword/2010/01/orangescented-bittersweet-chocolate-cake-with-candied-blood-orange-compote.html)? Or is it not orangey enough?

Loki
02-09-2010, 04:20 PM
I think that counts.

What does the peanut gallery think?

Ethan
02-09-2010, 05:22 PM
I'm not the leader of this outfit, but... as long as the chosen food suggestion inspires you to make something you wouldn't otherwise make, I feel like that should be considered enough. Like, if the topic is oranges and someone thinks, "oh, that reminds me, I've always wanted to make spicy clementine chutney", I think that's pretty alright. People may (and will) silently judge you as not being as bad a dude for deviating slightly from the theme, but at least it got you in the kitchen and gave you an excuse to do new shit.

*looks at link*

I don't see why that wouldn't count.

Matchstick
02-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Yeah I wasn't going to start the club 2 one until next monday but if you guys want two more weeks we could do that too.

I like the idea of a month long run. Perhaps we could have two running at a time, but stagger the starts every two weeks, so they'd change regularly, but we'd still have a good amount of time to make things happen.

Red Hedgehog
02-11-2010, 10:09 PM
I haven't been reading this thread, because I didn't want its entries to contaminate my ideas. Now that I've finally made my orange dish, I will read through it. In the meantime....

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you:

Orange/Indian Rubbed Pork Chops with Soy/Orange Glazed Green Beans and Garlic Mashed Potatoes

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/orange.jpg

Recipes:

Everything here was calibrated for three meals (so 3 pork chops, 3 servings of beans & potatoes)

Orange/Indian Rubbed Pork Chops

1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground orange peel
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp turmeric

Combine rub ingredient together and mix well. Spoon 1/2-1 tsp of rub onto pork chop. Massage it into the meat so that it coats the surface. Flip pork chop over and do the same thing to the back of it. Put pork chop into the refrigerator until ready to cook (letting it sit there for awhile allows the rub to seep in so that the meat absorbs the flavor).

Preheat oven to Broil. Rub freshly squeezed orange juice onto the top of a broiler pan (only need about a tablespoon). Place pork chop on broiler pan and put into oven so that pork chop is about 4 inches from heat source (second to top rack in my oven). Cook 6 minutes. Flip and cook 6-8 more minutes or until meat thermometer shows 160 degrees.

Soy/Orange Glazed Green Beans

1 tbsp olive oil
1 large vidalia onion, thinly sliced
1 lb fresh grean beans, trimmed
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
3 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice

Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and stir-fry one minute. Raise heat to medium-high. Add green beans and stir-fry one minute. Stir in water and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 12 minutes or until tender. Uncover and bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.

Garlic Mashed Potatoes

3 russet potatoes
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp butter
1/3 cup milk (room temperature)
4 cloves garlic

Rinse potatoes and slice into large chunks. Add to pot and barely cover with water. Add 4 cloves minced garlic. Add 1/2 tsp salt. Cook covered 20-30 minutes until potatoes are tender. Drain water. Mash potatoes. Add butter, remaining salt, and milk. Beat with fork or heavy whisk.

Comments:

The pork chop was perfect. The only thing I would change is I tried to get cute and used orange juice instead of oil on the broiler pan. There's a reason it's supposed to be greased and OJ is not an oil! Maybe a mix of oil and OJ?

The green beans tasted fine, but texture-wise were a slight disaster. I misread and used 2 1/2 cups water instead of 1/2 a cup. I tried draining it, but the damage was done and the beans and onions got a bit to mushy and never really got a glazed coating. I'm tempted to try a different method for glazing that doesn't involve significant submersion in water, but I should probably just try again with the right amount. I'm really trying to match the way a local restaurant does their soy glazed green beans which are crispy and delicious.

The garlic mashed potatoes are a staple and I felt not everything in the meal needed orange in it. That, in fact the savoryness of the garlic would complement the sweetness or the orange well. I actually hadn't made these in awhile, so I could remember if I added the garlic pre or post-boiling. I added it pre-boiling as included in the recipe here and the garlic flavor was much more subtle than usual - but still quite good. I guess it really depends how much you want the garlic to pervade them.

Overall, I give the meal 4/5 stars. Everything tasted good (the pork chop great!) and the the green beans weren't as disastrous as I thought they'd be.

spineshark
02-12-2010, 12:37 AM
I like the idea of a month long run. Perhaps we could have two running at a time, but stagger the starts every two weeks, so they'd change regularly, but we'd still have a good amount of time to make things happen.
This is a very good idea, and further, it allows for the Food Clubs to use a meat-y ingredient without having those of us who cook vegetarian be locked out.

Red Hedgehog
02-13-2010, 01:22 AM
Reading through the previous entries, I like how I was the only one who interpreted this as an iron-chef style "make a complete meal." :)

Matchstick
02-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Okay, I finally got around to making my fun club selection. I chose to make Crepes Suzette. It's one of my favorite desserts, but I've never tried to make it at home. Nor have I ever made crepes, so it's an adventure all around! I relied on my trusty copy of Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home for the recipe.

First, make some crepes:
http://www.arglebargle.com/mage/images/cs_crepe2.jpg

Then, a batch of orange butter (zest and juice of one whole orange, a stick and a half of butter and some sugar into the food processor):
http://www.arglebargle.com/mage/images/cs_butter.jpg

Chill for an hour or so, then dump the butter into a pan, caramelize and coat the crepes:
http://www.arglebargle.com/mage/images/cs_caramel.jpg http://www.arglebargle.com/mage/images/cs_caramel2.jpg

Add Cognac and Grand Marnier and light it up:
http://www.arglebargle.com/mage/images/cs_flambe.jpg http://www.arglebargle.com/mage/images/cs_flambe1.jpg

Plate it up and check to see what Max thinks:
http://www.arglebargle.com/mage/images/cs_finish.jpg

Verdict: not bad, but not spectacular. I confused the crepe recipe and the suzette recipe because I was going back and forth so much, so I used the wrong pan to make the crepes. They were fine, but too big, which caused problems when it came time to whip it all together. Also, I didn't flambe long enough, so the alcohol was more dominant than I'd like. I'll probably try again at some point, but I'll cut back a bit on the quantity of alcohol and I'll use a long spoon when I'm mixing during the flambe portion (ouch!).

Pajaro Pete
02-17-2010, 01:22 PM
http://www.arglebargle.com/mage/images/cs_finish.jpg

No one's going to do it? Really? It's going to fall on me? Fine.
I Can Haz Crepes Suzette?
There. It's done.

Parish
02-17-2010, 01:41 PM
So, like, this thread ended 10 days ago, right?

Matchstick
02-18-2010, 09:54 PM
So, like, this thread ended 10 days ago, right?

That was the original plan. We moved to make each club run for a month instead.

NevznachaY
02-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Grilled Chicken Breast With Orange-Whisky Jelly

The link (http://picasaweb.google.com/ivan.d.sorokin/Food_var?feat=directlink) to the whole album.

My first time making jelly! The recipe is my own as well.

The ingredients:
- blended whisky;
- brown sugar;
- ORANGES;
- water;
- gelatin;
- nutmeg;

Pics:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_IFQ2pctTES0/S4GVSHJbUrI/AAAAAAAAAtU/vD3hlMQul8k/s400/DSC_0032.JPG

Peeled the oranges, sliced the peels:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_IFQ2pctTES0/S4GVSo97j4I/AAAAAAAAAtY/hTLiJGcXx54/s400/DSC_0033.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_IFQ2pctTES0/S4GVTCYK3UI/AAAAAAAAAtc/A-Rft7IS45k/s400/DSC_0036.JPG

Boiled the peels in the syrup for about an hour to make candied peels:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_IFQ2pctTES0/S4GVV87rdSI/AAAAAAAAAtg/_GqjtdMGN0E/s400/DSC_0037.JPG

Squeezed the juice into the pot, added some pulp as well. You can see the dissolved gelatin in the upper right:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_IFQ2pctTES0/S4GVWL53LnI/AAAAAAAAAtk/ZAiJPzRBFzE/s400/DSC_0038.JPG

Added nutmeg and whisky, boiled for a short time. Added gelatin:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_IFQ2pctTES0/S4GVXi5SZ5I/AAAAAAAAAts/MC7RIPfuByk/s400/DSC_0040.JPG

Stirred, put into the refrigerator:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_IFQ2pctTES0/S4GVYexGerI/AAAAAAAAAt4/Qu69aINy4Fk/s400/DSC_0042.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_IFQ2pctTES0/S4GVYjn2R_I/AAAAAAAAAt8/MqeJab2S_2U/s400/DSC_0043.JPG

Left in the fridge for a day. Grilled a chicken breast, put it on a plate next to the jelly.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_IFQ2pctTES0/S4GVZ4sCciI/AAAAAAAAAuI/wOz4l8CMaXI/s400/DSC_0054.JPG

All in all - good stuff; really good. The jelly was a bit wobbly (not enough gelatine), and I guess I should have added more whisky (you could make the flavour out, but only just) - but those are minor complaints. I'm ashamed to admit this, but I'm a little bit proud.

(By the way, it works just as well as straight dessert.)

Violentvixen
02-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Whiskey jelly sounds awesome.

Pajaro Pete
02-21-2010, 09:28 PM
So, it's sort of like a jello shot? How did the peels taste?

NevznachaY
02-22-2010, 05:37 AM
So, it's sort of like a jello shot? How did the peels taste?

I've never had a jello shot, but the way I see it, it's a vehicle for the delivery of alcohol. Whereas, in this case, alcohol is only used for flavour.

The peels were great. It's pretty hard to spoil them - the most important part is adding enough sugar to the syrup to overcome the acidity.

Loki
02-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Great looking dishes everyone! Looks like this club was a success. Except for my dish which, while not a failure, was disappointing enough to swear me off oranges forever.

Go to hell, Orange!

FUN CLUB CONCLUDED.