PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning, it's the Breakfast Thread

BodhiTraveller
01-27-2010, 03:45 AM
As we all know, breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and the yardstick of civilization. A couple of months ago I abandoned the terrible habit of skipping breakfast and realized that breakfast was what was missing in my life. Even if I only have time for toast, I feel happier, more alert, and get more done.

What's breakfast to you?

Note: While it is accepted that breakfast for dinner is both an awesome breakfast and dinner, ITT we discuss the first meal of the day.

Pombar
01-27-2010, 05:44 AM
While we wait for the thread to migrate I'll admit that I try to have breakfast often, but too much of the time my in-bed mind will prioritise another half hour in bed over the time it takes to make anything worth getting out of bed for. But when I do achieve it, Bacon and Eggs (often in a fried egg sandwich) are the order of the day - with cold wholegrain cereal if I'm in a hurry or it's very early in the morning.

Violentvixen
01-27-2010, 09:00 AM
I voted pop-tart, waffle etc., but in reality it's a protein bar.

The main requirement is coffee, though.

Paul le Fou
01-27-2010, 09:15 AM
I will eat a piece of/some fruit, bread with butter or toast with peanut butter or perhaps a PBJ sandwich on toast, yogurt, a glass of juice or whatever soft drink I have in my fridge mostly to wash down my vitamin, or calorie mate/some energy/protein/balance foodbarproduct. Never all at once. Usually 1-2, 3 on a really good day, of the above. I want to eat more but I'm a horrible sleepy slackass in the morning and don't often leave myself time to eat a full breakfast.

taidan
01-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Every work morning, I cook up some eggs and throw them on a toasted bagel. I know I should mix up my morning diet, but it fills me up nicely each morning. I hate having breakfast and feeling hungry again a ways before lunch.

Ethan
01-27-2010, 09:19 AM
My ideal is local bacon, fresh baked bread, and a Julia Child omelette.

This should probably in the food forum.

Reinforcements
01-27-2010, 09:28 AM
That poll is one massive Sophie's Choice, and I refuse to be a part of it! Actually, my breakfast is pretty varied. Hot cereal, cold cereal, breakfast sandwiches (usually from Wawa), eggs (fried or scrambled), toast, hopefully always some fruit in there. This morning I made oatmeal (which is to say I put it in a crockpot last night, because slow-cooking scotch/irish/steel cut/pinhead oats are the ONLY CHOICE) with some maple syrup and pomegranate arils on there. And coffee. Always coffee.

Adrenaline
01-27-2010, 09:37 AM
Eggs are my favorite breakfast thing, and even when I was living away from home at school I'd get off my ass to make myself some at least once a week when I could.

ringworm
01-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Breakfast is by far my favorite meal. I love almost all breakfast foods. Sadly I am completely not a morning person and can never get up early enough to make myself breakfast, so it's usually just coffee for me.

KCar
01-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Lately, homemade muesli and coffee on a daily basis. Eggs and toast when I have more time. English Breakfast every month or two.

MCBanjoMike
01-27-2010, 10:31 AM
Two pieces of toast with peanut butter and a gladd of milk. Every lovin' day.

PapillonReel
01-27-2010, 10:33 AM
I voted cold cereal, but I don't mind a good bagel or English muffin now and then. Eggs are pretty great, too.

Red Hedgehog
01-27-2010, 10:42 AM
This poll is a Sophie's choice.

Cold cereal and fruit most weekdays. Occasionally that switches up for toast with butter and jam. On weekends, a breakfast sandwich (bacon, egg, cheese, tomato and avocado), omelet with at least two veggies in it, or french toast (made from challah and no other bread) with bananas, jam and syrup is the way.

JCDenton
01-27-2010, 10:45 AM
I enjoy breakfast foods greatly, but almost never during their intended time of consumption. The thought of eating makes me nauseous for several hours after waking up.

Calorie Mate
01-27-2010, 11:01 AM
It astounds me how many people I know that don't eat breakfast, or only do so occasionally. I do every damn day.

Wolfgang
01-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Steak and eggs/ And eggs and steak/ That's what you should have/ For breakfast

Reinforcements
01-27-2010, 11:38 AM
(made from challah and no other bread)
This guy, he knows what's up. Although any eggy bread is a good choice, and I'll forgive any kind of bread that's not some mass-market Wonderbread bullshit. Also I like pancakes, though mostly only if they have chocolate chips or blueberries or cranberries, and my breakfast meat of choice is scrapple.

Parish
01-27-2010, 12:18 PM
A granola bar and a Diet Coke, every day. Probably not the healthiest breakfast in the world, but it also hasn't killed me.

MCBanjoMike
01-27-2010, 12:19 PM
A granola bar and a Diet Coke, every day. Probably not the healthiest breakfast in the world, but it also hasn't killed me.

You start your day with Diet Coke? Lord a'mighty.

DemoWeasel
01-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Cold cereal.

Adrenaline
01-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Steak and eggs/ And eggs and steak/ That's what you should have/ For breakfast

Delicious!

pence
01-27-2010, 12:46 PM
I usually make eggs and toast, but sometimes go for instant oatmeal if I'm pressed for time.

Wolfgang
01-27-2010, 12:47 PM

It's got the caffeine of coffee without the sugar (if you use it). Plus, for people like me, it doesn't shred your stomach into bloody ribbons that you then expel violently. Which is a plus!

Parish
01-27-2010, 01:03 PM

It is a coffee substitute. Not sure what the issue is?

Dizzy
01-27-2010, 01:06 PM
It's got the caffeine of coffee without the sugar (if you use it). Plus, for people like me, it doesn't shred your stomach into bloody ribbons that you then expel violently. Which is a plus!

Just drink your coffee black, wussy.

Wolfgang
01-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Just drink your coffee black, wussy.

Then I can poop out my intestines and mail them to you.

Red Hedgehog
01-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Plus, for people like me, it doesn't shred your stomach into bloody ribbons that you then expel violently. Which is a plus!

Funny, for me this is what Diet Coke does!

It's not too weird for me, because it's what my mom drinks for her caffeine fix in the morning. I could never do it because the flavor is so harsh (though orange juice and coffee are arguably just as harsh - I'm just more used to them).

Dizzy
01-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Then I can poop out my intestines and mail them to you.

What? You don't do that in the adult world, I'm afraid. So you can't consume coffee? Are you handicapped? Heh!

Red Hedgehog
01-27-2010, 01:21 PM
Internet research reveals:

Coffee pH: 5.2-6.9
Orange juice pH: 3-4
Diet Coke pH: 3.39

So Diet Coke is worse than coffee but no worse than orange juice.

Wolfgang
01-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Are you handicapped? Heh!

Yes, I have to use a wheelchair after what happened the last time I drank coffee. Sob!

Actually, it really does suck, because I absolutely adore coffee. I'd drink it forever non-stop if I could. I miss it terribly.

Dizzy
01-27-2010, 01:27 PM

Orange juice could theoretically boil babies better than lava but it provides more nutrients. The other two only give you an adrenaline kick.

R.R. Bigman
01-27-2010, 01:35 PM
I am a kid's cereal man. The problem when I eat "adult" cereal like Chex or Mini Wheats is the cereal expands in my throat and on several occasions I've nearly choked to death.

Violentvixen
01-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Internet research reveals:

Coffee pH: 5.2-6.9
Orange juice pH: 3-4
Diet Coke pH: 3.39

Depends. The pH of your stomach is something like 1.2, so actually coffee is the most drastic change because it's the least acidic.

Wolfgang
01-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Depends. The pH of your stomach is something like 1.2, so actually coffee is the most drastic change because it's the least acidic.

THIS IS WHY I LOVE SCIENCE

Dawnswalker
01-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Toast, a vitamin, and some sort of drink, in no particular order. That's kind of like a continental breakfast, right?

Dizzy
01-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Wait, are vitamins good?

Dawnswalker
01-27-2010, 02:08 PM
They don't taste very good... But I'm not dead yet.

Dizzy
01-27-2010, 02:09 PM
I've heard they hamper your ability to extract essential nutrients from the food you already eat but then I've only heard.

Dadgum Roi
01-27-2010, 02:16 PM
I absolutely adore coffee. I'd drink it forever non-stop if I could. I miss it terribly.

MCBanjoMike
01-27-2010, 02:31 PM
It is a coffee substitute. Not sure what the issue is?

It was my gut reaction, based on three things:

1. The taste of Diet Coke is not something that I personally would want to process first thing in the morning on a regular basis.
2. The idea of starting the day off with a substance with no nutritional value at all bothers me. No, I don't drink coffee, either.
3. Aspartame gives me the willies.

NevznachaY
01-27-2010, 03:12 PM
I don't cook my breakfast (no time), but I can't leave home without it.
Requirements:
- juice;
- yoghurt;
- tea/coffee;
- something sweet;
- bread with cheese/salami or ham.

Phantoon
01-27-2010, 03:43 PM
I've voted for my favourite breakfast. If you're feeling a bit tired and emotional (ie hung over) nothing cures it like a full English breakfast. Old bean.

Generally I eat a bagel as I run to the car.

Seth Marati
01-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Oatmeal is technically warm cereal, right? Because that's what I eat and what I voted for. Irish oats are my favorite. I used to put in a banana and some other fruit (strawberries or a peach) to affect the texture and flavor, but I've been eating it plain for the last couple of months as part of my sugar detox efforts, and also because good fruit is harder to find during the winter. Maybe I'll go back to adding fruit in the spring.

Pseudonym
01-27-2010, 05:50 PM
When I wake up in the morning I have a cup of coffee. I might also have a plate of bacon if we have a package of the precooked stuff. Usually though, I tend to not get hungry until I get to work. If the train gets me to work like 20 minutes early I'll buy either a Coke or a machine coffee and a cherry and fancy danish if they have the type I like at the cafe.

Nobuyuki
01-27-2010, 06:05 PM
I'm lucky if I wake up with enough time to fully get dressed before leaving, so breakfast is whatever I can consume within a few seconds. I like to keep granola or fruit bars handy for that purpose, and a Coke Zero for caffeine/tastiness.

teekun
01-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Coffee and carbs every morning. Whether it be toast, or an english muffin, or whatever.

This morning, for example, I had a coffee before I left the house, and ate a blueberry bagel on my walk to the train. Good times.

blitzchamp
01-27-2010, 06:22 PM
I usually have a bagel with cream cheese and then have to run out the door before I'm late for class.

Nejt
01-27-2010, 06:59 PM
I eat a bowl of dry corn flakes and a half-filled glass of chilled tea, since I have a gym class 30 minutes after I eat anyway.

When I'm in Europe, though, my family and I and go to the nearest bakery to get some croissants! Tasty!

Matchstick
01-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Pancakes or waffles with link sausage is my ideal followed closely by eggs benedict (with filet instead of canadian bacon). Hot cereal is also delightful. Breakfast can be had at any time and is, in fact, even better late at night than in the morning.

Issun
01-27-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm usually hungry for either fruit and yogurt or a big eggs-and-bacony breakfast. Unfortunately, the former doesn't fill me up enough, and I never get up with enough time before work for the latter. So usually it's a big bowl of cereal. And coffee. I used to do energy drinks, but lately they make my intestines hate me for hours afterwards, so I stopped. As a result, I actually feel better and less grumpy, even if I haven't had enough sleep. Obviously, energy drinks are red bull poopy.

Balrog
01-27-2010, 10:01 PM
I normally just have a Dr. Pepper but if I go all out I'll have a Pop Tart, a breakfast burrito or some bacon and toast. I rarely eat breakfast though.

teekun
01-27-2010, 10:04 PM
I normally just have a Dr. Pepper but if I go all out I'll have a Pop Tart, a breakfast burrito or some bacon and toast. I rarely eat breakfast though.

Wow, if those are your regular breakfast options, you're probably better off not eating it.

Red Hedgehog
01-27-2010, 10:57 PM

Well, it's definitely true that acidic drinks are much worse for your teeth than they are your stomach. There's science to back that up.

But folk wisdom says acidic drinks and foods lead to heartburn/acid reflux. I can't find any science backing that up.

Phantoon
01-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Actually, bread and bagels are probably worse for your teeth than sugary drinks as the starch sticks in your teeth and slowly releases sugar over hours. Funny that people don't mention that.

Violentvixen
01-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Well, it's definitely true that acidic drinks are much worse for your teeth than they are your stomach. There's science to back that up.

But folk wisdom says acidic drinks and foods lead to heartburn/acid reflux. I can't find any science backing that up.

Oh, yeah, for the rest of your body it's bad. People just seemed to be talking about the stomach issues specifically.

I forget what the pH of saliva is but the esophagus is pretty close to neutral. Heartburn is actually your regurgitated stomach acid eating away at your esophagus.

Red Hedgehog
01-28-2010, 01:50 PM
I forget what the pH of saliva is but the esophagus is pretty close to neutral. Heartburn is actually your regurgitated stomach acid eating away at your esophagus.

Saliva is slightly alkaline. I remember this from 9th grade biology!

Adrenaline
01-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Why isn't this in the food board?

teg
01-28-2010, 09:05 PM
Lately I've been in love with making different breakfasts!
This week I've had cold cereal, oatmeal, a fried egg with toast, and I'm making an omelette tomorrow. Next is possibly either French Toast or something with sausages.