PDA

View Full Version : Let's make pepper sauce

Pajaro Pete
01-30-2010, 11:02 PM
We have unanimously decided that spicy food is the best food (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=9332), so clearly we should learn how to make pepper sauce.

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww76/friedturnips/518554.jpg
No
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww76/friedturnips/pepper-sauce-sl-1831986-l.jpg
Yes

In its simplest form, pepper sauce requires three things: Peppers, Vinegar, and Bottles. That's it! A horribly obnoxious television personality might refer to it as "easy peasy" because really, y'all, it is just that simple.

¡precaución!
You may want to wear gloves when handling hot peppers, because they can and will burn your hands.

¡precaución!
That being said, do not touch your eyes. There's a reason pepper spray is a self defense device. If you have contacts, you should probably bust out your glasses instead.

First of all, you're going to need glass bottles. Old hot sauce bottles, liquor bottles, fancy bottles, it doesn't matter as long as they can be capped and they've been sterilized. Boil them if you have to.

There are a lot of vinegars out there, and I'm not sure what all would work. White and Apple Cider are the more common types, but I'm sure if you put your mind to it you can come up with something more creative. You'll need enough to fill the bottle, and a pot to boil it in.

What sort of peppers should you use? It doesn't matter as long as they're (A) Hot and (B) Fresh. They should be washed and patted dry, as well as destemed.

Some folks like to put carrots, onion and garlic in their sauce. If you decide to do this, you should saute them first until they're good and tender, and always remember that they're only meant to enhance the flavor: The peppers are still the star of the show, so don't add too much.

Now, actually making pepper sauce is an incredibly involved process, so pay attention:

Drop your cleaned peppers in the sterilized bottle. You may attempt to arrange them in a fancy, color-coordinated pattern. You might have an easier time if you've spent hours honing your skills by playing Tetris.
Boil vinegar for three to four minutes.
Add boiling vinegar to pepper bottle. It would greatly behoove you to use a funnel of sorts.
Tightly close the bottle, shake it a little bit to get rid of air bubbles.
Set the bottle in a dark place and let it set there for about a month.

And that's all. You should probably refrigerate your pepper sauce after you open it.

Ok Turnip, I've made some pepper sauce. Now... what do I do with it?

Whatever you want! Use it in chili, soups, salads, meat, leafy greens, godawful canned foods or premade meals... anything you can think of! The world is an oyster begging for a splash of pepper sauce!

Go forth Talking Tyrants and make kickass pepper sauce!

Brickroad
01-30-2010, 11:08 PM
But Turnip! What if I'm a total weiner that can't handle hot foods? What sorts of peppers would you recommend that are flavorful but won't make me cry like the pissant little sadsack I am?

Pajaro Pete
01-30-2010, 11:19 PM
In that case, once you've got the peppers in the bottle, what you're gonna wanna do is take a knife and slit your wrists because honestly there is no point in living if you can't enjoy the Spice.

idk, it depends on your heat tolerance. If you don't like hot stuff, pepper sauce may not be "for" you. And that's ok, there are plenty of other spices out in the world that aren't about the heat!

shivam
01-31-2010, 12:32 AM
what kind of vinegar?

Wolfgang
01-31-2010, 12:38 AM
But Turnip! What if I'm a total weiner that can't handle hot foods? What sorts of peppers would you recommend that are flavorful but won't make me cry like the pissant little sadsack I am?

Ketchup.

Torgo
01-31-2010, 12:44 AM
Jalapenos. I can't call myself the biggest fan of heat, but I love 'em. I used to buy 'em fresh on a regular basis, dice 'em, and put them in whatever.

Brickroad
01-31-2010, 12:47 AM
Jalapenos.

Eek, too spicy. But I'm thinking of trying my hand at this as an anniversary gift to the little woman, who loves this kind of stuff.

(Shh! Nobody tell her!)

shivam
01-31-2010, 12:49 AM
jalapenos are too spicy???
shit son, you might as well go with bell peppers then. or apples.

Dadgum Roi
01-31-2010, 05:50 AM
what kind of vinegar?

Apple cider vinegar is traditional. IIRC that's what Thomas Jefferson called for in his pepper sauce recipe. Nothing wrong with white vinegar for these purposes, either. I also like to use a mix of peppers.

Dadgum Roi
01-31-2010, 05:58 AM
And that's all. You should probably refrigerate your pepper sauce after you open it.

Eh? Making the sauce cold will reduce its flavorfulness(think cold vs. cool beer here) and there's nothing in it that will spoil.

spineshark
01-31-2010, 05:59 AM
If you absolutely need something really wussy, there's always, uhh, anaheims.

Epithet
01-31-2010, 09:27 AM
Hmm, this is a pretty cool thread. Nicely done! That aside, I love spicy things, but I never really cared for the really vinegary flavor of pepper sauces. In Tabasco at least, the vinegar almost overpowers the spicy taste.

TheSL
01-31-2010, 09:45 AM
OK, I'm totally bookmarking this and doing this once I get back from my trip to Chicago. I'll probably do two mixes, one with jalapenos/garlic and one with habaneros.

Daikaiju
01-31-2010, 02:45 PM
Brick! Try chipotle!

Dadgum Roi
01-31-2010, 02:54 PM
Brick! Try chipotle!

I doubt a dried pepper would work very well; I've never seen pepper sauce made that way, at any rate. The whole idea is for the juices and essence/etc. of the pepper to seep out and flavor the vinegar.

Brickroad
01-31-2010, 04:38 PM
We decided to split the difference by using mainly mild peppers but throwing a single habanero in for good measure. I figure as long as I don't use more than a drop of the stuff I should be okay!

(Or I'll die, and it'll be all Turnip's fault.)

MCBanjoMike
01-31-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm more interested in a spicy oil than I am in a vinegar sauce - could I do the same thing, but with olive oil instead of vinegar? If so, doesn anyone have any suggestions for oil and pepper types?

SDMX
01-31-2010, 05:20 PM
FOR THE WEAK:

Remember that the capsaicin in chilies is stored in the seeds and in the inner membrane of the pepper. You can always reduce how hot a chili is by removing these two elements during prep. Roasting is also a possibility.

Failing that? Man the fuck up.

Dadgum Roi
01-31-2010, 05:28 PM
FOR THE WEAK:
Remember that the capsaicin in chilies is stored in the seeds and in the inner membrane of the pepper. You can always reduce how hot a chili is by removing these two elements during prep. Roasting is also a possibility.

It's kind of a moot point with pepper sauce I think, because you put the peppers in whole.

Brickroad
01-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Failing that? Man the fuck up.

I'll... *gulp* try!

Also Peanut apparently bought two jalapeños while I wasn't looking so I have those to look forward to as well.

Is tolerance to heat something a person can build up over time? Because it's a trait I think would be worthwhile to develop, if possible.

Dadgum Roi
01-31-2010, 05:33 PM
Is tolerance to heat something a person can build up over time? Because it's a trait I think would be worthwhile to develop, if possible.

I'm pretty sure you can build up a "tolerance", yeah.

Mazian
01-31-2010, 06:52 PM
I'm more interested in a spicy oil than I am in a vinegar sauce - could I do the same thing, but with olive oil instead of vinegar? If so, doesn anyone have any suggestions for oil and pepper types?

Why yes! Furthermore, these extensive instructions (http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/006812.html) should put you on the right track.

Pajaro Pete
02-01-2010, 09:01 PM
It's kind of a moot point with pepper sauce I think, because you put the peppers in whole.

Some folks like to puree their pepper mix and bottle it that way. But I don't really like that because, like, when you use it, it changes the texture of the food. Also at that point I feel it ceases to be pepper sauce

Hmm, this is a pretty cool thread. Nicely done! That aside, I love spicy things, but I never really cared for the really vinegary flavor of pepper sauces. In Tabasco at least, the vinegar almost overpowers the spicy taste.

Really? I've never felt that tabasco was particularly vinegary. But you might try the olive oil-based sauce that Mazian posted.

Dadgum Roi
02-02-2010, 06:55 AM
Some folks like to puree their pepper mix and bottle it that way. But I don't really like that because, like, when you use it, it changes the texture of the food. Also at that point I feel it ceases to be pepper sauce

I've never heard of that. That sounds more like chow-chow.

Dadgum Roi
02-02-2010, 05:23 PM

I don't know why this didn't occur to me before, but chimichurri is basically what you're looking for.

Brickroad
02-03-2010, 04:11 AM
Argh, the bottle we bought is too narrow to fit the peppers we bought. Rather than slicing the peppers (which I'm to understand is a no-no?) we decided to make salad dressing instead and go searching for a wider bottle.

Dadgum Roi
02-03-2010, 06:19 AM
Argh, the bottle we bought is too narrow to fit the peppers we bought. Rather than slicing the peppers (which I'm to understand is a no-no?)

I wouldn't recommend it for you, because it will make the sauce hotter. If you do end up slicing them, make sure you don't let any seeds get into the bottle.

Brickroad
03-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Ours came out pretty awesome. We've been putting it on/in pretty much everything all week. We want to buy a much bigger jar and make more!

Thanks for the idea, Turnip.

taosterman
03-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Tried this with a mix of serrano, habanero and Fresno peppers. I had to slice them to fit, which I did before I read further down the thread, but I say BRING THE HEAT BITCHES!

(we'll see how that goes in a month when I'm crying like a baby)

TheSL
03-21-2010, 05:20 PM
So I tried to make some of this today, but I neglected to destem the peppers before putting them in. Is this going to ruin the sauce?

Dadgum Roi
03-21-2010, 05:21 PM
So I tried to make some of this today, but I neglected to destem the peppers before putting them in. Is this going to ruin the sauce?

I doubt that will really affect it. You could always take them out and de-stem them.