PDA

View Full Version : Turning Lamesauce into Awesomesauce

Lady
02-02-2010, 08:03 PM
This thread is dedicated to upgrading foods. Going that extra block to brighten an entire meal.

For example, this evening, I had a dish of leftover store-bought chili (don't judge me!) Some old salsa, one burger king packet of ketchup, and a generous dash of red pepper powder later, I didn't feel like I was eating warmed over dog food anymore!

Cucumbers, while naturally delicious, can be improved by a slight (well, if they're not very good cucumbers, maybe a heavy) dash of salt. My dad says this is true for green apples, as well, but I love green apples as they are. Pears benefit, though.

also, it's amazing how much you can improve your basic breaded chicken patty by covering it with noodles and slathering it in red sauce and grated cheese. Voila! Chicken parmesan.

Dawnswalker
02-02-2010, 10:32 PM
I mentioned adding egg and veggies to instant noodles in another thread, and that's always delicious. I don't think it really adds much in the way of nutritional value though.

If you prepare your rice with a (very small) amount of butter or cooking oil, it adds a bit of flavour and keeps it from drying out and sticking to the pot.

Balrog
02-02-2010, 10:42 PM
I like putting onions and bell peppers on pretty much everything I can. I add it to a meal at least once a week.

DemoWeasel
02-02-2010, 11:44 PM
Louisiana sauce is good on so many things.

NevznachaY
02-03-2010, 01:30 AM
Red onions (diced and pan-fried) improve everything.

Kirin
02-03-2010, 08:24 AM
I like putting onions and bell peppers on pretty much everything I can. I add it to a meal at least once a week.

Earlier this week my wife and I took our standard oven-baked mac'n'cheese recipe and added a sauteed onion to the mix. Delicious.

Rosewood
02-03-2010, 02:43 PM
My mom would "doctor" canned baked beans by adding ketchup, brown sugar, and a tiny bit of yellow mustard. Some of the better brands already taste pretty good, but we were poor in those days and had to go with the cheap stuff.

shivam
02-03-2010, 03:16 PM
my grandmother used to make popcorn in a big wok, but she'd also add turmeric, chili powder, salt, and black pepper, and make it amazing.