PDA

View Full Version : Wii controls -- what works, what doesn't.

Andrew
06-06-2007, 08:39 PM
After finally getting to play Ghost Squad, I'm looking forward to the Wii version. I'm hoping that it's a nice price, though. Hopefully Resident Evil: UC offers a more substantial game than the typical arcade lightgun shooter, too.

However, ever since Soul Calibur 4 was announced--sans platforms, it seems like lots of people are coming out of the woodwork to say how the game should be adapted for wii, how well the controls will for it, etc.

I'd say...hold on. I don't think motion controls are a good fit for the genre. Plus, the only games on wii to really use that method of input, Mortal Kombat Armageddon, is lousy.

Pulling special moves off with motions isn't building a motion-controlled fighter, either. Combos, juggles, throw battles, etc. in a *real* fighter are going to demand more precision. Plus, there's too few buttons on the standard wii remote, and even with the nunchuck the button setup is iffy.

I wouldn't mind seeing more adventure-style games, sort of like Trauma Center.

P.S. JP could you smack Milky and tell him if he is going to review a game, review a game, not bash other fighting games he hates and discuss absolutely *nothing about how the game he reviews controls*?

Excitemike
06-06-2007, 08:46 PM
The controls for that Dragonball Z game were okay. Maybe someone will release an arcade stick for the Wii. (dare to dream)

Andrew
06-06-2007, 09:02 PM
360 is still lacking a good one, too.

There's probably a good GC joystick that could be used; pity it wouldn't be wireless.

I forgot about Dragon Ball Z, but that's not really what I'm driving at; would a *real* fighting game that people over age 13 would want to play work well with anything but standard controls?

VsRobot
06-06-2007, 09:25 PM
I liked that SNK vs Capcom game for the GCN that mapped special moves to the C-stick. It made it very accessible for folks like me who aren't really into fighters and just want to have fun. I can see a fighting game doing something similar on Wii, with standard motions that would trigger special moves for all the characters.

Eusis
06-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Bushido Blade MIGHT work (I'm not too optimistic after checking out Red Steel, but that was rushed), but I think expecting anything more traditional simply won't be the same. Amusingly, the Wii could be ideal for fighters anyway simply because of the CC, at least for those that don't want Joysticks for whatever reason.

Torgo
06-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Maybe someone will release an arcade stick for the Wii. (dare to dream)
I consider it an unspoken certainty with Neo-Geo games coming. Wii popularity+arcade games=profit! Limited production? Most likely. Prohibitively expensive? Possibly!

I would buy one. Two if, heaven forbid, I actually made friends again in this life to play games with face-to-face.

Andrew
06-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Neo geo games only used 4 buttons, and the Classic Controller seems like it should do for most people.

Not that I wouldn't like to see it

Torgo
06-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Keeping that in mind, the fact that most fighting games can be adapted serviceably to a controller hasn't kept sticks from coming out for just about every console out there.

Andrew
06-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Most other game consoles don't have a reputation (questionable as it may be) of being purchased and used by non-gamers who love minigame compilations.

Torgo
06-06-2007, 10:34 PM
That has nothing to do with anything. Eventually the Wii, primarily by means of the VC, will have a wealth of games best played with an arcade stick. Some manufacturer out there is going to put two and two together and figure those hardcore will gladly pay the price for one.

It's not like these things are produced for mass market consumption in the first place. They have always been made with a niche audience in mind.

Excitemike
06-06-2007, 10:45 PM
I actually have a GC arcade stick (well, it belongs to a buddy of mine but I think he forgot he lent it to me). It's a nice, sturdy Pelican with outs for PS2, XBOX and GC. A quick search shows a couple of different sticks were made for GC as well as adapters for PS2 controllers. The Wii is already much more successful than the GC so something has to come out sooner or later. (it would be nice to have something that plugs into the Wiimote, though)

I wonder what Smash Bros is like on an arcade stick...

alexb
06-06-2007, 10:51 PM
I work at a college library. Today, we had a guy from another library come and give us a presentation about the gaming parties he puts on at his library. He's evangelizing. Spreading the word. It gets the kids into the library. He hates running Halo 2 tourneys, but he likes the free form nights with DDR and Guitar Hero. He was very much a non gamer, but he wouldn't shut up about the Wii. Dude wouldn't shut up about Wii Sports. He bought a 60-inch HDTV (on a librarian's salary?) to better enjoy it. Looks like whatever it is they're doing is working.

Lumber Baron
06-06-2007, 11:10 PM
I actually have a GC arcade stick (well, it belongs to a buddy of mine but I think he forgot he lent it to me). It's a nice, sturdy Pelican with outs for PS2, XBOX and GC.
Own the same one. Good times...

I wonder what Smash Bros is like on an arcade stick...
Clunky.

Excitemike
06-06-2007, 11:14 PM
That makes sense to me. SSBM is the only game that doesn't make me want to throw my GC controller out the window.

Torgo
06-06-2007, 11:16 PM
What about Metriod Prime?

spineshark
06-07-2007, 01:04 AM
Bushido Blade MIGHT work (I'm not too optimistic after checking out Red Steel, but that was rushed), but I think expecting anything more traditional simply won't be the same. Amusingly, the Wii could be ideal for fighters anyway simply because of the CC, at least for those that don't want Joysticks for whatever reason. Bushido Blade sucked but I've made this joke for quite a while anyway. It was for a long time, the only first-person fighting game I'd heard of. Now I know about Maken X, too, which would presumably be hilarious (not the same genre though, I know, but sorta similar?). I don't know though, I don't own a Dreamcast and haven't actually played it. I mean, am I the only one who can smell Maken X-2?

Also the only Wii game I've played is Sports, which I wasn't so big on. So me speculating about potential is pretty silly. anyway.

Calorie Mate
06-07-2007, 08:33 PM
As Torgo said, I think it's only a matter of time until we see someone figuring out that a decent arcade stick for Wii would be awesome. I'm also hoping for Neo-Geo games here because I have 2 friends that I know would immediately go out and buy a Wii for if that happened.

Anyway, to get back to the thread title's topic...
WORKS:
- Aiming (the bow in Zelda, presumably Metroid Prime 3)
- simulating any sort of tool you would hold (Trauma Center)

DOESN'T WORK / IS DUMB:
- motion controls in a fighting game (as previously discussed)
- making use of the motion for no reason (shaking the controller to wake up Mario in SPM - seriously, it's the same as tapping a button)

I'm sure there are examples on both sides I'm forgetting right now, but to make up for that, I'll throw in the following:

BONUS - WHAT CALORIES MAN WANTS DONE WITH THE CONTROLLER:
- A 3D on-rails shooter, ala Panzer Dragoon or Sin and Punishment, with motion handled by the Nunchuk and aiming via the Wii Remote

Vahn16
06-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Something that doesn't work, but could if the developers focused on it, is boxing. Right now, all we've got is Wii Sports boxing, which isn't precise at all. You just flail your arms and hope something good happens. While the Wii controller itself could partially be the cause of this (technological limitations), I think a game that soley focused on boxing could work. It would probably have to be more like Punch-Out! than real boxing, but it would still be fun.

Deadguy2322
06-08-2007, 07:45 AM
Bushido Blade sucked but I've made this joke for quite a while anyway. It was for a long time, the only first-person fighting game I'd heard of. Now I know about Maken X, too, which would presumably be hilarious (not the same genre though, I know, but sorta similar?). I don't know though, I don't own a Dreamcast and haven't actually played it. I mean, am I the only one who can smell Maken X-2?

Wow, do you ever NOT have a clue with that.

1. Bushido Blade only had 1st-person as an optional mode, and the conventional 3rd-person mode was actually a very deep, realistic swordfight game.

2. If approached with the right mindset, a system-linked 2-player BB game could be quite the uniquely satisfying experience.

3. Maken X was NOT a fighting game, it was more like an FPS with bladed weapons. I have it, and it is fun, but flawed. The PS2 version of it was called Maken Shao, was 3rd-person, and didn't get released outside of Japan. From what I have been able to find out, the change fixed all the gameplay problems with Maken X.

I am so tired of Wii fanboys who want EVERY series to go to the Wii.

The Wii control is too limited to really do what most people are fantasizing about, and shoehorning gimmicks into a game is a sure-fire way to make it suck. I know three people who own Wiis, and of the three One already sold his because he hates mini-games and found the rest of the library to either be too short on content or play poorly due to the control being so "innovative" it got in the way (see Metal Slug Anthology's retarded grenade gesture), one doesn't play his and only keeps it because his wife is addicted to Wii bowling and the third had a defective unit that he sent back to Nintendo in December and just got it back a week ago, who plans to sell once he finishes Zelda, due to the limited library.

Once the gloss of the not-as-amazing-as-they'd-have-you-believe controller wears off, there isn't much there.

spineshark
06-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Wow, uhh, I didn't think anybody would take me so seriously. Admittedly, you pointed out some things I didn't know, thanks (as well as some things I did =/). But you're taking me the wrong way. I'm not a Wii fanboy and I was entirely unimpressed with Sports (I haven't played anything else but in store demos). My only real point was that I'd be really tickled to have something...you know, unexpected and different on the Wii, and while clunky first-person games aren't really a great idea, I'm not really getting thrilled over *another Mario and Metroid game!* Man, I'm such a hypocrite, haha.

Deadguy2322
06-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Shark, I wasn't speaking about you specifically, I'm just sick of these idiots screaming "Put X on the Wii!!!!! It would be the perfectest game EVAR with the remote!"

I think a game's developer should decide what they want the game to do, and build the best control scheme for it. The Wii is not capable of the degree of precision a serious fighting game requires.

Hell, if anybody wanted to know what Soul Calibur with Wii control would be like, just look at the Dragon Quest Sword TV Game from Japan.

I'd rather play my Soul games with my SC2 arcade sticks.