PDA

View Full Version : We All Scream For It: The Ice Cream Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Dawnswalker
02-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Because we have threads for every other component of a balanced diet.

Personally, I'm an ice cream superfan. Chocolate, butterscotch ripple, strawberry, banana, pistachio. I love them all! But I do have some Deep Thoughts to share.

I used to hate vanilla ice cream due to years of eating bland, dry, gooey "vanilla." Then one day, I was introduced to true, hand-made, made-with-real-vanilla-beans Vanilla ice cream, and it was like tasting a miracle.

I also used to like the Marble Slab-style of sticking random crap that is not ice cream into ice cream, until I realized that the more "mixins" it all had, the less ice cream there actually was. I still do appreciate their actual ice cream when it is mixin-free.

Rosencrantz
02-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Cookies and creme with real Oreos, please.

Dizzy
02-02-2010, 10:31 PM
I like cookies and cream ice cream best.

Otherwise I'm a fan of vanilla.

Mmm! I'm gonna go have some ice cream right now. You want some ice cream? You don't eat it, do ya, right? What are ya, one of those fitness freaks, huh? Go fuck yourself.

Bit
02-02-2010, 10:32 PM
I'M CRAVING STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM SO BADLY.

Dawnswalker
02-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Those "ice milk" people are just kidding themselves anyway.

Balrog
02-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Cookies 'n Cream is a close second right behind Cinnamon ice cream from Marble Slab/Cold Stone Creamery.

PapillonReel
02-02-2010, 10:57 PM

This is the correct answer.

shivam
02-02-2010, 11:08 PM
cookies and cream, or butter pecan. these are truisms.

redstuff
02-02-2010, 11:16 PM
The best ice cream I've ever had was in Spain of all places. The region where I studied was famous for its dairy products.

I usually just go for vanilla or a fruity flavor (like orange or rasperry).

Merus
02-02-2010, 11:19 PM
There used to be an ice custard place near where I lived in Canberra that was great. They'd tip it upside down so you could see it was solid.

I had a look at Baskin Robbins the other day, and it seems like about 29 of their 32 flavours are chocolate, or have chocolate mixed in.

Brickroad
02-02-2010, 11:59 PM
You just can't beat the beautiful simplicity of a bowl of plain vanilla ice cream.

Silent Noise
02-03-2010, 12:05 AM
Peppermint is one, caramel is the other.

shivam
02-03-2010, 12:08 AM
also, any of you will bow down before Cardamom Rose, one of the specialties of Ici in berkeley, a talking time favorite.

DemoWeasel
02-03-2010, 12:15 AM
I like frozen yogurt! =D

I... I'll leave now =(

ArugulaZ
02-03-2010, 12:26 AM
Those "ice milk" people are just kidding themselves anyway.

"Unflavored for me!"

My personal favorite ice creams are peppermint stick (a special birthday treat) and mint chocolate chip. Ice cream and mint just seem to go together for some reason... the bite of the mint is balanced by the smoothness of the cream and vice versa. Honorable mentions go to lemon chiffon/custard, chocolate raspberry cup, and this kickass Breyer's ice cream with toffee bits in it. DAMN Breyer's has improved over the last thirty years.

Some terrible ice creams I've had include cotton candy (keep this unfrozen plz k thx), spumoni (WHAT THE HELL IS THIS CRAP?! It's like the Neopolitan from hell!), and most anything with real fruit chunks in it. Gag!

Frozen treats I like: fudge bars, creamsicles, crunch bars, drumsticks, Jell-O brand pudding pops, and the little mint-flavored Christmas trees they sell over the holidays. Hell, I love 'em all.

Silent Noise
02-03-2010, 12:28 AM
I like frozen yogurt! =D

I... I'll leave now =(

Nah, it's cool.

Sheana
02-03-2010, 12:35 AM
I'm extremely fond of Coldstone, especially the Cake Batter variety.

For "normal" ice cream there's cookies & cream (but only if it's made with Oreo), and that delicious hazelnut concoction Haagen Daz has been putting out lately.

Sanagi
02-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Cookies and cream is perfect in small servings where it's a mouth-pleasing treat. For a big bowl of ice cream my old standby is mint chocolate chip.

NevznachaY
02-03-2010, 02:02 AM
Let's talk brands!

I L-O-V-E Moevenpick.

Alixsar
02-03-2010, 02:04 AM

I like cookies and cream ice cream best.

Otherwise I'm a fan of vanilla.

also, any of you will bow down before Cardamom Rose, one of the specialties of Ici in berkeley, a talking time favorite.

Thread complete.

Brickroad
02-03-2010, 02:30 AM
"Unflavored for me!"

Sweet cream is fabulous. We served at at the Coldstone rip-off I worked at throughout high school, and I never understood why you couldn't buy it at the grocery store. Part of the reason I'm so in love with vanilla is because it's as close to sweet cream as you can reliably get.

Can this be the milkshake thread too? Because milkshakes are the reason ice cream was invented. Over the years I have transformed pretty much every palatable substance (plus a few less palatable ones) in my kitchen into a milkshake.

Wolfgang
02-03-2010, 03:25 AM
Chubby Hubby. Those damn geniuses and their chocolate-covered peanut butter-filled pretzels in French vanilla...

So: chunks or no? I'm predicting this forum is overwhelmingly anti-chunk, but (maybe because) I love 'em. More flavors and surprises!

Paul le Fou
02-03-2010, 07:19 AM
Cinnamon and Pumpkin are the twin kings that reign o'er all they survey in the land of ice cream.

I'm also really partial to red bean, black sesame, and my town's specialty black bean.

Kirin
02-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Our local dairy once made a Cookies and Cream out of Peanut Butter ice cream, and it was utterly awesome.

Speaking of which, local dairy ice cream is the best. If any of y'all are within spitting distance of actual cows, try to find some.

As for store-bought, I'm a fan of B&J's Half Baked. Cookie dough and brownies? Yes please.

I'm a little bitter about Cold Stone because when they moved into my town they put a local place that did more or less the same sort of thing out of business, and the local place was awesome because in addition to the usuals they would sometimes make flavors with Bailey's or Kahlua or Guiness.

mopinks
02-03-2010, 09:08 AM
this little family-owned ice cream shop near South Coast Plaza makes licorice ice cream. it is one of the most magical things I have ever tasted.

Loki
02-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Amaretto with chunks of black cherry. Nothing else comes close.

Calorie Mate
02-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Peanut butter anything is the best in ice cream.

Of course, you could replace the word "ice cream" in that sentence and it would probably still be true.

Guy
02-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Chubby Hubby. Those damn geniuses and their chocolate-covered peanut butter-filled pretzels in French vanilla...

Absolutely. They sell it in the student convenience store at the nearby dorm, but I can't buy it because when I do I eat it in one sitting.

I am a big supporter of peanut butter in ice cream, and Cold Stone's Peanut Butter Cup Perfection is my favorite thing. If I ever kill a man, it will be the dessert of my last meal.

Matchstick
02-03-2010, 05:05 PM
http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/s/e/1/americone_dream_large.jpg

Falselogic
02-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Like many of the other upstanding folks here my fav is cookies n' cream!

When I need something fancier I go here:

http://www.whereisedwardcullen.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Mission-to-Marzipan.jpg

Oh, Gawd it's so good!

Dizzy
02-03-2010, 05:16 PM
I'M CRAVING STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM SO BADLY.

I'M HAVING STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE ICE CREAM GLOM GLOM GLOM

Dawnswalker
02-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Can this be the milkshake thread too? Because milkshakes are the reason ice cream was invented. Over the years I have transformed pretty much every palatable substance (plus a few less palatable ones) in my kitchen into a milkshake.

Milkshakes are a-ok, since they are made with ice cream!

And now I'm reminded that I haven't used the milkshake maker in a long time, and we bought chocolate syrup a while ago...

So: chunks or no? I'm predicting this forum is overwhelmingly anti-chunk, but (maybe because) I love 'em. More flavors and surprises!

My Ben and Jerry's flavour of choice is "Chunky Monkey." Sure, it has chunks, but underneath all that is a really good store-bought banana ice cream!

And while I'm mostly anti-chunk, I can dig them if the chunks are there to add flavour, instead of screw me out of ice creamy value. When I want ice cream, I want ice cream, you know?

Tomm Guycot
02-03-2010, 05:29 PM
this little family-owned ice cream shop near South Coast Plaza makes licorice ice cream. it is one of the most magical things I have ever tasted.

How close are we talkin?

DemoWeasel
02-03-2010, 05:30 PM
I can never eat ice cream in a cone; it always ends up a gigantic mess, so I get my ice cream and frozen yogurt in cups and eat with a spoon.

As for a favorite flavor, I'd have to say chocolate chip cookie dough! It's pretty delicious for Thrifty ice cream.

mopinks
02-03-2010, 05:55 PM
How close are we talkin?

pretty darn close! (http://www.yelp.com/map/hans-homemade-ice-cream-santa-ana-2)

mannnnnn I really need to find a way to get over there while I'm in THE OC this weekend.

taosterman
02-03-2010, 06:40 PM
http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/s/e/1/americone_dream_large.jpg

I was quickly scrolling down the thread to pimp this creation of pure wonder, but you beat me to it. GUYS IT'S SO FUCKING AMAZING I CAN'T EVEN DESCRIBE IT.

Sheana
02-03-2010, 07:48 PM
As for a favorite flavor, I'd have to say chocolate chip cookie dough!

Eff me how did I forget about this. Ice cream with chocolate chip cookie dough in it is amazing and delicious and I get it whenever possible. It's truly a major favorite of mine. Probably because I love cookie dough so much in general, when I make cookies I tend to prefer the dough stage..

Merus
02-03-2010, 08:17 PM
I feel the need to introduce you guys to hokey pokey ice cream. The New Zealanders invented; it's closest to honeycomb icecream with honeycomb chunks, but it's really something else.

Also, this should be the spider thread. I love spiders! I like Vanilla Coke precisely because it tastes a bit like a coke spider.

Bit
02-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Probably because I love cookie dough so much in general, when I make cookies I tend to prefer the dough stage..
Me, too. I'll eat bowls of just cookie dough.

Coinspinner
02-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Vanilla. If I really want some other flavor I can just mix it in.

Kirin
02-04-2010, 08:00 AM
Also, this should be the spider thread. I love spiders! I like Vanilla Coke precisely because it tastes a bit like a coke spider.

Okay, from context this has got to be some sort of Aussie slang for a float. Please tell me it is.

Speaking of floats, I got one from a bar in Raleigh that was vanilla ice cream in Young's Double Chocolate Stout, and it was deelicious.

ArugulaZ
02-04-2010, 03:47 PM
For a very brief period America had a fascination with pop rocks ice cream. I didn't think it was a very good combination, though... pop rocks will rock the hell out of your mouth when fresh but after buried under frozen milk for a week they just lose their potency.

You know what they should make? Pocky ice cream. Cover the little sticks completely in chocolate so they don't get soggy. I would so totally eat that.

Dawnswalker
02-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I remember the pop rocks craze. I think it ended when Baskin Robbins got sued over a kid going to the hospital after eating Shrek-flavoured ice cream (with pop rocks.)

Which proves either the evil of putting pop rocks in ice cream, or the evil of Shrek.

Merus
02-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Okay, from context this has got to be some sort of Aussie slang for a float. Please tell me it is.

It depends. Is a float ice-cream + soft drink (or 'soda')? If so, haven't you noticed that the ice-cream doesn't really float?

spineshark
02-04-2010, 05:07 PM
It depends. Is a float ice-cream + soft drink (or 'soda')? If so, haven't you noticed that the ice-cream doesn't really float?
So?

Also, the best Ben & Jerry's flavors are Turtle Soup and Pistachio. My favorite thing in general though is to take Vanilla ice cream and put lots of cinnamon in it.

bdazzld
02-04-2010, 05:10 PM

It does though!!! Just takes the right soda vs ice cream balance :D

banana ice cream is delicious, and out right now are the Dreyer's Girl Scout cookie flavors (available in light)!!! <3 Samoa's and can't find anymore: Tagalogs, I'm certain I missed out on a great thing :(

Dawnswalker
02-04-2010, 05:12 PM

Yeah, but it doesn't "spider" either. That's not even a verb!

ArugulaZ
02-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Does "spider" refer to the way the soda works its way through the ice cream in long, spider-like veins? It's the only way I can make sense of the term.

Merus
02-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Does "spider" refer to the way the soda works its way through the ice cream in long, spider-like veins? It's the only way I can make sense of the term.
Apparently it refers to the foam working its way through the ice-cream.

Apparently you can do beer spiders. I think I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Ghost from Spelunker
02-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Don't let the agents of Big Chocolate fool you, chocolate does NOT have to be in every flavor. One time I got some honey + chocolate chunks ice cream and it made me ill.

And be sure to get all ice cream in a cone - it won't go into a landfill, making it green TM.

Daikaiju
02-05-2010, 05:48 AM
Edy's once made this York Peppermint Pattie flavor. It was mini-patties mixed into the most sublime peppermint ice cream. I would buy that ice crema without anything mixed in if I could. So refreshing.

Also I'm a sucker for any coffee based flavors.

Kirin
02-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in another thread, but soft-serve Green Tea ice cream is totally awesome. Especially on a hot summer day in Kyoto, but whatever. Also, Haagen Dasz makes a boss Green Tea flavor, and I wish they'd actually sell it in the states. For some reason HD is big in Japan.

adamzap
02-05-2010, 08:47 AM
My favorite is Blue Bell's Banana Pudding ice cream.

If it is available in your area, give it a try.

http://expressionsandinsights.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/blue_bell-banana-pudding2.jpg

Blue Bell's Homeade Vanilla is runner up.

Cookies and Cream with for reals oreos is great too, of course.

Sheana
02-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Oreo ice cream sandwiches used to be big, sloppy glorious messes of deliciousness, but then Breyers chickened out and changed it to these little hard discs with plain light vanilla bricks between them. It just ain't the same.

Wolfgang
02-05-2010, 04:00 PM

In Australia, they put ice cream on spiders. This is common knowledge. The cold puts them in a kind of hibernation, or stasis, so they may be safely eaten without the eater having to fear being bitten. Of course, this doesn't neutralize the spider's venom, which is why millions of Australians die from poisonous spiders every year.

Were you aware of it?!

Seth Marati
02-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Edit: Bad idea.

Grignr
02-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Publix Chocolate Trinity ice cream.

It's chocolate ice cream with swirls of chocolate and hunks of chocolate.

It's really good on top of brownies.

estragon
02-05-2010, 06:24 PM
It's usually only available around Christmas, but I love some good peppermint ice cream.

I'm talking about the pink stuff here, not that green "mint chocolate chip" nonsense that's available all year round, while peppermint is sealed away for some tragic reason.

ajr82
02-06-2010, 06:27 PM
The worst thing that can happen with a float is if you make it with ice cream that's especially cheap or that has been thawed and re-frozen too many times. While floating in the soda, the cream starts to separate from the ice, and you wind up with the equivalent of "snow with cream" floating in your drink.

It's still tasty, of course, but that's not what you wanted when you made it.

Alchemist4
02-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Cake batter ice cream is delicious and nutritious....well maybe not nutritious

Dawnswalker
02-07-2010, 11:15 PM
The worst thing that can happen with a float is if you make it with ice cream that's especially cheap or that has been thawed and re-frozen too many times. While floating in the soda, the cream starts to separate from the ice, and you wind up with the equivalent of "snow with cream" floating in your drink.

It's still tasty, of course, but that's not what you wanted when you made it.

I find that ice cream's just no good at all for anything if I let it thaw and then refreeze. Even the better brands just can't take that kind of punishment.

And when it happens to cheap vanilla, it looks absolutely disgusting.

Merus
02-08-2010, 10:07 PM
I am sorry to report the results of my beer spider experiment: the beer and icecream don't mix in any appreciable way, and what little foam is created from the icecream is overwhelmed by the natural foam of the beer.

I would hesitate to call it a failure, as it's still beer and then icecream and there is no world in which that is a failure, but it's not really a success either.

Red Hedgehog
02-09-2010, 01:10 AM
I am sorry to report the results of my beer spider experiment: the beer and icecream don't mix in any appreciable way, and what little foam is created from the icecream is overwhelmed by the natural foam of the beer.

I would hesitate to call it a failure, as it's still beer and then icecream and there is no world in which that is a failure, but it's not really a success either.

Yeah, I've tried to do beer floats on a couple of occasions and it never quite works out right. Best I've done was an Oatmeal Stout with vanilla ice cream.

Brickroad
02-09-2010, 02:49 AM
Go full hog and make a beer milkshake. Floats are so half-assed.

(I actually love floats.)

Merus
02-09-2010, 03:09 AM

(I actually love floats.)
That requires a blender, which I don't have. I'll probably need to get one at some point.

spineshark
02-09-2010, 03:18 AM
Go full hog and make a beer milkshake.
This is what I have to do on my birthday.

Nobuyuki
02-09-2010, 03:22 AM
Green tea ice cream is so good but, at least around here, it's incredibly difficult to find.

mopinks
02-09-2010, 03:29 AM
my favorite Japanese restaurant back home added black sesame ice cream to their menu! I've had the flavor before and I love it, but their version was just a little bit more mind-blowing than most.

Brickroad
02-09-2010, 04:02 AM
Green tea ice cream is so good but, at least around here, it's incredibly difficult to find.

I've never found green tea ice cream but I have (surprise!) made a green tea milkshake before. It... kind of didn't taste like anything, because the flavor of the tea wasn't strong enough to overcome the flavor of the vanilla.

Of course, I just upended some tea into the blender. Maybe there's a better way to get more flavor out of it.

NevznachaY
02-09-2010, 05:02 AM
I've never found green tea ice cream but I have (surprise!) made a green tea milkshake before. It... kind of didn't taste like anything, because the flavor of the tea wasn't strong enough to overcome the flavor of the vanilla.

Of course, I just upended some tea into the blender. Maybe there's a better way to get more flavor out of it.

Was it powdered? Because that's the one to use.

Paul le Fou
02-09-2010, 06:14 AM
Rum Raisin. Secret best ice cream flavor?!

Brickroad
02-09-2010, 06:29 AM
Rum Raisin. Secret best ice cream flavor?!

This happened on two totally separate occasions: a mother brings her kids in for ice cream, tells them to order whatever they want, and then goes off to the bathroom (or whatever). A few minutes later she comes up to the cash register FURIOUS that we sold one of her kids rum ice cream.

In other words, stupid is breeding.

Marfy
02-09-2010, 08:15 AM
Publix Chocolate Trinity ice cream.

It's chocolate ice cream with swirls of chocolate and hunks of chocolate.

It's really good on top of brownies.

Man, when I worked at Publix people would flip their shit if we were out of that more than any other product. Publix's peppermint something or other ice cream is really really good - peppermint ice cream with little chunks of hard peppermint candy. I think they sell it year round? Maybe just at Christmas.

Here in the UK there is a magical creation known as the Flake 99. It is a Cadbury Flake stuck into a vanilla ice cream cone. It's so so so so good. There's also Flake ice cream but I've never tried it because there is no reason to eat any ice cream other than the Flake 99.

Red Hedgehog
02-09-2010, 01:31 PM

How would one do that? The issue with making a beer milkshake is getting the ratio of beer to milk and ice cream correct which seems like it would take a lot of trial and error. Also, I'm not sure how well blended something carbonated like beer would work. With a beer float, you just chuck ice cream into beer. Mmm... now I want one.

Brickroad
02-10-2010, 03:27 AM
The way I'd do it is to make kind of a hybrid milkshake/soda. We'd make our soda base by blending simple syrup and soda water with whatever flavor the person wanted, then float a scoop of that flavor on top. Substitute beer for the soda to make your base and you might be in good shape.

It'd take a few tries to get everything proportioned correctly, but the beauty of a milkshake (or anything near enough) is that you cannot mess it up. What, you fucked up and now I have a scoop of ice cream floating in a glass of chocolate soda? You monster!

(I don't like beer so I won't be trying this. Sorry!)

mopinks
07-18-2010, 09:53 PM
I mentioned Hans' licorice ice cream in this thread half a year ago! a few days ago, I finally got to eat it again!
http://zamora.zamomo.com/blog/hans1.jpg
it's the besttttttt.

Kishi
07-19-2010, 12:01 AM
Mochi ice cream: it's good!

I've only had red bean flavor (and red bean anything is lovely) but I have a feeling the others work similarly.

mopinks
07-19-2010, 12:43 AM
I had some mochi gelato in Little Tokyo last week and it was okay.

the next day, some friends took us to a place specializing in mochi gelato (http://www.yelp.com/biz/mochilato-fullerton) and it was much more okay!

Kishi
07-19-2010, 12:47 AM
That place is about forty minutes from me, and Hans' is about twenty-five. You're making this way too easy!

ArugulaZ
07-19-2010, 01:28 AM
Ooooh! I hate it when people tell me about treats I know I'll never have! The minute I read about the Flake, I went over to Wikipedia to find out just what the hell a Flake is. The minute after that, I went to eBay to see if anybody was selling them. They're five dollars for four bars, with an extra five dollars for shipping, by the way. That's a pretty hefty price to satisfy one's curiosity, and doubtless a long time to wait for them to arrive from Britain too.

So I guess the question is this... can you fake a Flake? Will melting a Cadbury bar and letting it drizzle into ribbons on wax paper give you roughly the same experience?

Marfy
07-19-2010, 04:09 AM
There are a number of online shops that deal in British goods - here's one. (http://www.englishteastore.com/cnd001.html) I believe the bars are also sold in Canada, by British Cadbury not crappy American Cabury.

And no, I don't think that would quite work, alas.

Daikaiju
07-19-2010, 06:13 PM
Sorry to chime in late, but if i recall Ben & Jerry put out a ice recipie book that included a beer sorbet.

Ah. Here it is (http://www.amazon.com/Jerrys-Homemade-Cream-Dessert-Book/dp/0894803123/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279584735&sr=8-1).

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51fWZvB6UGL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Lady
07-19-2010, 08:09 PM
as long as it's pistachio.

Aquadeo
07-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Just because no one else has mentioned it, I'll cast a vote for Tiger Tiger: Orange ice cream with licorice stripes. Besides, it's the only ice cream named after a William Blake poem.

mopinks
07-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Tiger Tiger: Orange ice cream with licorice stripes.

I'd never heard of this before and now I'm angry that I can't have it!

THANKS A LOT, JERK

Elfir
07-21-2010, 07:40 AM
I'm trying to shift over to frozen yogurt (I forget why, actually - some book said I should though) and am loving the Eddy's fudge brownie frozen yogurt. The cookies-and-cream offering is terrible though. No Oreos were harmed in the making of THAT.

I used a coupon (http://www.myfoxdc.com/generic/contests/cold-stone-coupon)for Coldstone Creamery last weekend for strawberry ice cream with brownie mix-in. Fabulous. Usually I get one of their mint-based combinations.

Read about this morning and want to try: Banana-only ice cream (http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/tips-techniques/stepbystep-instructions-for-oneingredient-ice-cream-097170). Freeze cut up banana 2-3 hours, stick it in a food processor and see it magically transform into ice cream-like consistancy. Unfortunately I don't have a food processor at present (and apparently a blender doesn't really do the trick).

Kylie
07-21-2010, 09:50 AM
I made something like the banana-only ice cream the other day, but introduced a little cream and agave nectar to the food processor and ooooohhhhhh my godddddddd

Paul le Fou
07-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Licorice ice cream OH MY GOD.

I want that!

I want it so bad.

figcube
08-18-2010, 12:00 AM
Thrifty Ice cream is the best. I love their chocolate chip and mint chip. It's so chippy. It's the best thing about living in Gridley.

Kirin
08-18-2010, 11:27 AM
New ice cream &c shop opened in town. I tried their green tea frozen yogurt and got raspberries on top. It was good, though it doesn't hold a candle to green tea ice cream purchased in Japan, not surprisingly.

Pseudonym
08-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Tonight I had homemade peach-mango ice cream with fresh blackberries on top!

shivam
08-22-2010, 12:22 AM
i made the base for vanilla icecream today. it's going to rock with the peach pie i'm making tomorrow.

Dawnswalker
08-30-2010, 11:29 PM
So, the other day I learned of the existence of Moose Tracks ice cream (vanilla ice cream + fudge + peanut butter cups = yay!)

I had some tonight, and my delight was tempered by the fact that whatever kind of fudge they use, it's the saltiest goddamn fudge in the world.

Paul le Fou
08-31-2010, 09:01 AM
Baskin Robbins opened up a branch in my town.

It is dangerous.

(31% off on the 31st of the month!)

Cyrael
08-31-2010, 11:11 AM
So we have one of the best Ice Cream places here in the Salt Lake area:

You pick a cream base (from low fat to incredibly NOT low fat), flavors to put in (common stuff like fruit, chocolate, cake batter and a bunch of weird things), any mix-in stuff you would want...

And then they flash freeze it with Liquid Nitrogen!

Apparently because it freezes so quickly you don't get fully formed ice crystals or something... The end result is incredibly smooth, flavorful ice cream. A former University Chemist started it as a side project and it has really taken off for him.

And to top it all off, it's quite a bit cheaper than Coldstone size for size.

In fact, I am going RIGHT NOW to get some chocolate cake batter ice cream with almonds.

Kirin
08-31-2010, 12:29 PM
That sounds utterly awesome, Cyrael, and I want one.

Meanwhile, this could go in the alcohol thread, but it also goes here and this thread was bumped, so:

I recently finished a batch of home-made blackberry liqueur. The other night I poured some of it over some Stonyfield Farms Vanilla Chai ice cream. That was pretty much the best dessert ever.

cartman414
08-31-2010, 02:11 PM

It is dangerous.

All or participating? I could sure go for some Wild 'n' Reckless.

Paul le Fou
08-31-2010, 02:46 PM
All or participating? I could sure go for some Wild 'n' Reckless.

No idea.

Also, it's in Japan. I don't know if they do it in America.

They play up the Thirty-One thing here. In fact, most people just call the store "Thirty-one." I am not sure how many people would actually recognize the name Baskin Robbins.

SpoonyBardOL
08-31-2010, 03:13 PM
So, the other day I learned of the existence of Moose Tracks ice cream (vanilla ice cream + fudge + peanut butter cups = yay!)

I had some tonight, and my delight was tempered by the fact that whatever kind of fudge they use, it's the saltiest goddamn fudge in the world.

Hey I've had that, though up here they call it 'Udderly Divine'.

Same basic composition, but the fudge isn't all that salty.

Daikaiju
09-02-2010, 02:10 PM
In PA we have a slowly growing chain called Bruster's (http://www.brusters.com/). They have a Key Lime Ice Cream with bits of graham cracker crust... So perfectly sweet and tart.

EDIT: ...and now they've partnered with Nathan's. I'm getting fatter thinking about it

Kishi
09-04-2010, 07:48 PM
I mentioned Hans' licorice ice cream in this thread half a year ago! a few days ago, I finally got to eat it again!
http://zamora.zamomo.com/blog/hans1.jpg
it's the besttttttt.

That place is about forty minutes from me, and Hans' is about twenty-five. You're making this way too easy!

THEREFORE:

http://www.snowy-day.net/grokyou/photic/20100904-001sj.jpg

And to go:

http://www.snowy-day.net/grokyou/photic/20100904-002sj.jpg

Pumpkin milkshake.

http://www.snowy-day.net/grokyou/metroid/theoperation.png

Ethan
09-04-2010, 07:55 PM
I would kill someone for that licorice ice cream cone.

MCBanjoMike
09-05-2010, 11:14 AM
I am eating dulce de leche ice cream from Havra aux Glaces right now. It is very good.

mopinks
09-05-2010, 08:44 PM
THEREFORE:

http://www.snowy-day.net/grokyou/photic/20100904-001sj.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/ranchuu/yeah.gif

redstuff
09-05-2010, 09:09 PM

It is dangerous.

Baskin Robbins branches are *everywhere* in Korea. There are like more than 3 in my city alone and I live in a small-ish suburb of Seoul. There are also parts of Seoul I go to that have several on the same street.

Chu
09-06-2010, 03:31 AM
There's a Baskin Robbins at a station not far from where I live. I go there sometimes to visit the import store in a nearby shopping mall (and it's also where I saw the Pokemon movie). However, I've never gone inside the Baskin Robbins. Perhaps I should investigate it while the weather is appropriate for ice cream times. Do Japanese Baskin Robbins have unique flavors?

Also, I'm not sure if Coolish (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3014/2523603292_bac6b4ec78.jpg?v=0) really counts as ice cream, but it's great stuff.

Paul le Fou
09-08-2010, 12:27 AM
There's a Baskin Robbins at a station not far from where I live. I go there sometimes to visit the import store in a nearby shopping mall (and it's also where I saw the Pokemon movie). However, I've never gone inside the Baskin Robbins. Perhaps I should investigate it while the weather is appropriate for ice cream times. Do Japanese Baskin Robbins have unique flavors?

I'm not familiar with the whole array of American flavors, but they do have things like Azuki and Green Tea, so they definitely do change the lineup to some degree. The rest of it seems pretty standard... they could easily be American flavors too, but I don't know whether Cream Soda or Popping Shower or Midnight Trick (God I hope I'm remembering that wrong) are available anywhere else.

If you mean generally unique like you can't find it anywhere else, then yeah. There was a good Melon and Banana one that just ended with the seasonal shift, and I don't know that I'd find Mont Blanc in an American store... but I could be wrong.

Walliard
09-08-2010, 05:45 PM
I made homemade sorbet this week without any specialized equipment.

I'm considering never buying ice cream again.

caviar.n.cigarettes
03-21-2011, 08:36 PM
[QUOTE=Merus;671661]I feel the need to introduce you guys to hokey pokey ice cream. The New Zealanders invented; it's closest to honeycomb icecream with honeycomb chunks, but it's really something else.

Also, this should be the spider thread. I love spiders! I like Vanilla Coke precisely because it tastes a bit like a coke spider.[/QU I LOVE HOKEY POKEY ICE CREAM. One of the things I miss most about living in NZ. Craving it so bad now!

Ghost from Spelunker
05-22-2011, 11:14 AM
I think I hate Ben & Jerrys ice cream. No matter what flavor I try, the ice cream always tastes like chalk and all the clever themed flavor chunks taste like plastic.

Daikaiju
05-25-2011, 01:47 PM
THIS JUST IN,

Ghost from Spelunker has no tongue!

Our prayers are with him.

Shagohod
05-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Häagen-Dazs is supreme as far as grocery store ice cream goes. Accept no substitutes!

I would much rather have gelato than ice cream. Is gelato discussion permissible in this thread?

taosterman
05-25-2011, 10:07 PM
I think I hate Ben & Jerrys ice cream. No matter what flavor I try, the ice cream always tastes like chalk and all the clever themed flavor chunks taste like plastic.

I'm pretty sure you must be posting from a mirror universe.

Torzelbaum
05-27-2011, 03:15 AM
So we have one of the best Ice Cream places here in the Salt Lake area: [...] they flash freeze it with Liquid Nitrogen!

Apparently because it freezes so quickly you don't get fully formed ice crystals or something... The end result is incredibly smooth, flavorful ice cream.Generally, the longer it takes for water to freeze the larger the resulting ice crystals will be. Large ice crystals in ice cream make the texture grainy. In general, faster freezing means smaller ice crystals and creamier texture. Edy's / Dreyer's Slow-Churned uses a process to make smaller ice crystals but I don't think they use liquid Nitrogen.

Uh... I'm not affiliated with that company but I did learn about their method from Popular Science (or Discover) magazine. And tried the ice cream, which is pretty damn creamy.

Wolfgang
05-27-2011, 12:26 PM

How can ice cream taste like chalk? It's not a chalky substance, it's a creamy one. It's in the name!

Paul le Fou
05-29-2011, 02:50 AM
Gelato is totally fair game! Turns out there's a gelato place at the onsen near my school. My friends and I got some after our trip there yesterday. It was great!

They had yuzu and deko mikan (orange), which I got. Milk caramel's really good, a blueberry "cheesecake" flavor, black sesame, mango, and more. Tiramisu, of course. They even had black bean, our local specialty. Totally rad.

Wolfgang
05-29-2011, 11:34 AM
We got Cold Stone yesterday! Chocolate ice cream with peanut butter, chocolate syrup and Reesee Cups mixed in, and served in one of those chocolate dipped waffle cones. Cause if you're gonna go there you may as well do it up right!

ArugulaZ
05-29-2011, 12:00 PM

Now in all fairness, that company just got bought out by Unibomber- er, Unilever- so the recipes may have changed. It's a huge European food corporation and quality isn't exactly job one for them.

My experience with Ben and Jerry's has been a little shaky myself. The first thing I ever had from them was an overpriced ice cream bar that tasted like it had been in the freezer for too long... it was gritty and ucky, with a chocolate shell you had to drill through to get at the ice cream inside. The pints were much better, but also expensive and overloaded with ingredients. It's the same reason I hate Cold Stone Creamery with a passion... you ask for some add-ins, they roll a fist-sized scoop of ice cream in twenty miles of gummy bears.

Kishi
05-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Dessert at The Stinking Rose (http://www.thestinkingrose.com/about.htm) last night was garlic ice cream with caramel molé.

Merciful heavens—somehow, it works.

Wolfgang
05-29-2011, 05:19 PM
I like ice cream as a binder that holds other kinds of candies, cookies and sauces together as a new type of frozen confection treat. I don't get how people could NOT like that.

ARUGULA.

Dawnswalker
05-30-2011, 12:51 AM
I'd noticed that the price of Ben and Jerry's recently jumped a fair bit, but I just figured it was because food in general was more expensive. I didn't know they'd been bought out, but that would explain a lot.

In any case, their ice cream bars have always been an afterthought to the actual ice cream.

ArugulaZ
05-30-2011, 02:30 AM
Okay, the Unilever buyout happened over a decade ago. For some reason I thought it had been much more recent. My apologies for the confusion.

I like ice cream as a binder that holds other kinds of candies, cookies and sauces together as a new type of frozen confection treat. I don't get how people could NOT like that.

ARUGULA.

Me, I like a little ice cream with my ice cream. Extra ingredients can add texture and depth to a frozen treat, but it can be taken too far. Ice cream is supposed to be smooth and creamy, the ultimate comfort food. When you dump a pound of toffee bits, chocolate syrup, and peanut butter into the mix, ice cream loses those qualities. It also leaves your mouth dry and sticky rather than refreshed, which is no fun on a hot summer day and even less so if there's some distance between you and the nearest water fountain.

Personally, I prefer a ratio of 75% cream to 25% add-ins, at the very most. I also like to build a cone with the rich, ingredient heavy-flavor(s) on the top and a palate cleanser at the bottom. Citrus flavors work well for that purpose, and sherbet even more so, although mint can work in a pinch.

One thing I've found refreshing on a hot summer day is a slush/ice cream mix, either with the ice cream floating in the middle of the slush or with the two blended together. It's got an incredibly clean finish and it doesn't tack up your mouth at all, since the ice cream is generally consumed before the slush.

Kishi
05-30-2011, 02:57 AM
The only thing I combine with ice cream at Cold Stone is more ice cream. My favorite thing to get there is a cake batter and mint milkshake.

Wolfgang
05-30-2011, 03:04 AM
So nerds like plain, smooth, no-frills iced cream. Noted. I guess it hurts their delicate tongues and teeth? Or possibly because the excitement of unseen frozen chunks makes them nervous. Who knows?

</troll>

The only thing I can say in (real, not trolling) response is that I'm not a minority, as Cold Stone and Ben & Jerry's wouldn't be nearly as popular as they are if people didn't like their mixins.

Paul le Fou
05-30-2011, 03:10 AM
I like stuff in my ice cream, in general, but I find that coldstone's mixes tend to be excessive. You don't need equal amounts of ice cream and filling! Certainly not more filling! Just a little bit goes a long way!

mopinks
05-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Dessert at The Stinking Rose (http://www.thestinkingrose.com/about.htm) last night was garlic ice cream with caramel molé.

Merciful heavens—somehow, it works.

I've passed by that place a hundred times but never actually eaten there and I have never been sadder about that fact than I am right now.

Daikaiju
05-30-2011, 09:21 PM
I like stuff in my ice cream, in general, but I find that coldstone's mixes tend to be excessive. You don't need equal amounts of ice cream and filling! Certainly not more filling! Just a little bit goes a long way!

Also, what you pay for versus what you get, well... No wonder the one near my job closed and is being replaced by a Yogurt Land. For the same money for a large shake you could walk across the lot to the Dairy Queen Grill'n'Chill and get something 3 times bigger.

ArugulaZ
05-30-2011, 09:59 PM
The Dairy Queen in turn is more expensive than just buying ice cream from a grocery store. Here, a large Moolatte costs $4.75. That's almost enough to get you a carton of ice cream at a store, which is good for several servings.

Kishi
05-30-2011, 11:11 PM
I've passed by that place a hundred times but never actually eaten there and I have never been sadder about that fact than I am right now.

Aside from the ice cream, the garlic-roasted prime rib (with certified USDA Prime beef) is probably the most delicious thing anyone will ever taste.

Shagohod
06-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Maggie Moo's is probably the best ice cream place I have ever eaten from. The one where I used to live closed down though :(.

That was back in Kansas though. Since I moved to AZ I just get gelato. Or Haagen-dasz

Kishi
06-01-2011, 07:38 PM
I've bought Lady many an ice cream from Maggie Moo's. I only regret I've yet to try their ridiculous-looking (http://www.maggiemoos.com/menu/pizza.aspx) "ice cream pizza."

Ethan
06-02-2011, 01:17 AM
In Hanoi there is an ice cream called Fanny's. It's really good. I just had a single-serving tub of mint chocolate chip.

Brickroad
06-02-2011, 01:30 AM
I'm in the mood for a ridiculous milkshake. I get off work in four hours. Any suggestions?

Paul le Fou
06-02-2011, 07:42 AM
In Hanoi there is an ice cream called Fanny's. It's really good. I just had a single-serving tub of mint chocolate chip.

We had this in Saigon too. It's super-expensive by Vietnamese but still really cheap by tourist standards. And the concoctions they make, holy shit. They have some truly ridiculous over-the-top awesome parfaits, ice cream cocktails, and so on. I am not ashamed to admit that we got two each. (We also had a lot of dong to blow through on our last day.) I paid for it later, in full, but it was worth it.

mr_bungle700
06-02-2011, 10:02 AM
I'm in the mood for a ridiculous milkshake. I get off work in four hours. Any suggestions?

It's too late now, but:

Donut Milkshake

Wolfgang
06-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Fanny's.

teeheeheeheeheeheehee

teeheeteeteeheeheeheetee

Daikaiju
06-03-2011, 05:46 AM
teeheeheeheeheeheehee

teeheeteeteeheeheeheetee

. . .

"hindquarters"

Red Hedgehog
06-03-2011, 03:18 PM
As I posted on twitter/facebook

Just had my first big gay experience. It was tasty!

I also could have added that it was thick, white, creamy, and salty.

http://www.biggayicecreamtruck.com/

Delicious and worth a try if you're in New York. He does really great things with soft serve. Girlfriend and I had the Salty Pimp (Vanilla ice cream with Sea Salt and Dulce de Leche, dipped in chocolate) which was amazing and the Gobbler (Sundae with whipped cream, pumpkin butter, and crushed graham crackers) which was very good.

eternaljwh
07-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Boylan's Root Beer + Wilcoxson's Vanilla is extremely delicious. Mug root beer appears to be a comparable substitute.

mopinks
07-07-2011, 04:35 PM
I need to get me an ice cream maker so I can bust out some homemade black sesame ice cream, because I'm sure as hell never going to find it in any store around here and it is just the raddest~

upupdowndown
07-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Our favorite fancy restaurant in our neighborhood makes their own ice creams to pair with their desserts. My favs that I've had from there are foie gras ice cream and Guinness ice cream. There's also a very good gelato place at the farmer's market that makes a great salty caramel, as well as Cap'n Crunch gelato.

Büge
07-08-2011, 08:56 AM
foie gras ice cream

Those poor geese. :(

Shagohod
07-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Cap'n Crunch gelato.

Whoooa!

upupdowndown
07-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Whoooa!

It is a must (http://www.dojogelato.com/)for ice cream pilgrims making a stopover in Cincinnati.

Daikaiju
07-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Turkey Hill has added a Lady Liberty Mint. It's like mint chip, except the mint is stronger and it has a ribbon of chocolate cookie crumb throughout. GO GET IT.

Kirin
07-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Our favorite fancy restaurant in our neighborhood makes their own ice creams to pair with their desserts. My favs that I've had from there are foie gras ice cream and Guinness ice cream. There's also a very good gelato place at the farmer's market that makes a great salty caramel, as well as Cap'n Crunch gelato.

The locally-owned Cold-Stone-like shop that used to be in my town had Guinness ice cream and it was amazing. Occasionally they would make some other alcoholic flavors, some of them quite strong. Sadly they went out of business when an *actual* Cold Stone moved into a better location nearby.

Lady
07-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Did anyone not from Arkansas or Mississippi or Tennessee ever have Yarnell's ice cream?

It was in the news that they were closing their Searcy, AR creamery, and that's so damn sad :( It was pretty good ice cream, and they were my only semi-consistent source of pistachio ;.;

In other news, Graham Central Station
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-J61vRdralMI/TjDtBidCvxI/AAAAAAAAAlo/3BKVk8_bMxc/s800/IMAG0408.jpg
See that? on the right? I'm pretty sure those are graham cracker berries. My goodness! (http://www.handelsicecream.com/)

Shagohod
07-28-2011, 11:44 PM
Going to Sub-Zero with the woman tomorrow! It is one of those liquid nitrogen ice cream places. I had it once before and it was fuckin' great. I implore everyone to try it if possible!

Lady
07-30-2011, 12:08 AM
Mochi ice cream: it's good!

I've only had red bean flavor (and red bean anything is lovely) but I have a feeling the others work similarly.

I had some mochi gelato in Little Tokyo last week and it was okay.

creme brulee, almond paste, green tea, and pistachio mochilato
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kirin
07-30-2011, 12:43 PM
I recently had some mango mochi that was pretty darn good.

Shagohod
09-14-2011, 10:47 AM
I just found out that there is an actual Hagen-Dazs store near my home! I can get it at wal mart anytime, but it isn't the same!

Also, Breyer's makes ridiculously great vanilla for being one of the cheaper brands. I got a carton of Caramel Swirl and the vanilla ice cream is just as good as the caramel

Kirin
09-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Breyer's has always had awesome vanilla - they were the go-to brand for Real Actual Vanilla Beans, years and years before "natural" and "organic" became marketing buzzwords.

Shagohod
10-13-2011, 10:13 AM
Can someone tell me the difference between vanilla, french vanilla, vanilla bean and any other sort of vanilla?

Edit: nevermind, I looked it up. (http://www.google.com/m/url?ei=YQ6XTuinH4XZiQKLvQE&q=http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-vanilla-and-french-vanilla.htm&ved=0CB4QFjAD&usg=AFQjCNEs0OK4aGTQ7AtWS2pfiKpAHEa-bw) Interesting!

Daikaiju
10-14-2011, 06:04 AM
Don't forget Philadelphia style!

Sheana
10-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Speaking of Breyer's, something I noticed recently. I was looking at some of their more 'far out' flavors, the ones with all sorts of mix-ins and things, and noticed that they're labeled as 'frozen dairy dessert' instead of ice cream.

What on earth have they done to the stuff to make it not actually ice cream anymore??

Sarcasmorator
10-14-2011, 05:17 PM
There's a legal definition for ice cream, and products marked like that don't meet it. They may use whey instead of/in addition to cream, and thickeners and stuff — you can't call it ice cream unless it contains a certain amount of the real stuff.

More here (http://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/edible-innovations/ice-cream.htm). The money bit:

Not just any frozen treat can be called ice cream. In fact, the U.S. Department of Agriculture has specific rules that define what can and can't be labeled "ice cream." To bear the "Meets USDA Ingredient Standard for Ice Cream" stamp, it has to contain at least 10 percent milk fat, and a minimum of six percent non-fat milk solids. A gallon has to weigh at least 4.5 pounds.

Basically, it's similar to when you see something like "processed cheese food" or "juice drink" — they're all terms that tell you it's not genuine ice cream or cheese or 100% juice, but a product that's been cut with other stuff.

Kishi
12-15-2011, 11:16 PM
Imagine a smooth sweet potato casserole, with frothy marshmallows and all, which is ice cold and fully drinkable. That is the sensation instilled by the sweet potato shake at The Counter (http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-counter-el-segundo).

Kishi
01-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Talkin' Coke floats.

1. Start with some cane sugar-based MexiCoke™ and Handel's ice cream (certified by National Geographic as the best in the world (http://handelsicecream.com/inthenews/10BestEverythink.htm)).

http://i.imgur.com/XpQ8j.jpg

2. Get the ice cream in there.

http://i.imgur.com/yBQz9.jpg

3. Pour some Coke on that razzmatazz.

http://i.imgur.com/lbR0u.jpg

4. Stir it up, make it all nice and frothy.

http://i.imgur.com/TW1y0.jpg

5. Adjust the Coke-to-cream ratio to taste. Congratulations!

http://i.imgur.com/z0Xp3.jpg

Shagohod
06-06-2012, 01:57 PM
I bow to a new god.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j130/geekwithfriends/oatmealcookiechunk.jpg

Daikaiju
06-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Just wondering, does anyone remember Frusen Glädjé? I miss them.

Kirin
07-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Lately we've been getting this gelato/sorbetto at our local market called "Talenti". It is delicious. The milk chocolate and the raspberry are good, but the stand-outs are the double dark chocolate and the salted caramel. Also it comes in these nice plastic jars with screw-top lids that are totally reusable for all kinds of stuff; we've kept like a half dozen.

Sheana
07-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Hah, what a coincidence! I've recently discovered Talenti myself, and kept & washed the jar for future use as well. Good stuff!

Guy
07-01-2012, 05:55 PM
I forgot we had this thread!

I recently got a job as a soda jerk at Leopold's here in Savannah. It's a pretty big deal around these parts for three reasons: 1.) The owner is a movie producer named Stratton Leopold, who produced movies like Mission Impossible III and Baron Munchausen. When I started he had just finished working on the new Parker movie with Jason Statham. 2.) It was apparently named the number 5 ice cream parlor in the world in the Toronto Sun last year, and 3.) Their ice cream is delicious. I get a free single scoop each time I work and 50% off on most dishes. One of my favorite flavors is Chocolate Chewies and Cream; it's basically a cookies'n'cream type deal which instead of cookies uses chewies, a sort of fudge pecan brownie-cookie thing that used to be popular in Savannah in the 20s but now we're the only ones who make them. It's a pretty sweet job!

You can also get milkshakes made using any flavor of ice cream available. Today before I left I ordered one made with half Peanut Butter Chippy (peanut butter ice cream with chocolate chips) and chocolate, and it was exactly as delicious as I thought it would be.

Aylor
07-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Recently, at least over here in El Mexico, we've had strangely named franchises of frozen yoghurt ice cream pop up all over the place like bubbles in a freshly applied, preferably expensive screen protector, I wonder why that is, especially since they all seem to be exactly the same, with the same flavors and sometiems even the same self service model, not that I'm complaining, mind you, but it's quite odd to see all these just pop up overnight, I wonder if this is also the case elsewhere.

Adam
07-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Recently, at least over here in El Mexico, we've had strangely named franchises of frozen yoghurt ice cream pop up all over the place like bubbles in a freshly applied, preferably expensive screen protector, I wonder why that is, especially since they all seem to be exactly the same, with the same flavors and sometiems even the same self service model, not that I'm complaining, mind you, but it's quite odd to see all these just pop up overnight, I wonder if this is also the case elsewhere.

Yep. As of a few years ago, at least in Greater California.

Lady
07-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Lately we've been getting this gelato/sorbetto at our local market called "Talenti". It is delicious. The milk chocolate and the raspberry are good, but the stand-outs are the double dark chocolate and the salted caramel. Also it comes in these nice plastic jars with screw-top lids that are totally reusable for all kinds of stuff; we've kept like a half dozen.

I saw this in the grocery store a few years back and tried the pistachio... I thought it was awful. I did like the jar though

Serephine
07-02-2012, 05:05 AM
I wasn't terribly impressed with the Talenti blood orange or raspberry, but now I'm sad it didn't occur to me to hang on to the containers because they were in fact pretty handy.

Daikaiju
07-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Cripes. What are they packing the stuff in, the UberJar? Picture please!

Kirin
07-02-2012, 11:39 AM
It's just a nice plastic jar, but hey, if you're buying ice cream anyway it's basically a nice plastic jar for free; may as well make good use of it.

http://i.imgur.com/gXoPw.jpg

Also, looking up pics online has made me intensely jealous of some of the flavors I haven't seen show up locally yet.

Sheana
07-27-2012, 07:59 PM
I discovered something terrible and wonderful: you can make homemade ice cream without a special ice cream maker with with like 2-3 ingredients super easy. You basically just beat some heavy whipping cream till soft peaks form, fold in some condensed milk and a bit of vanilla, then freeze for six-plus hours.

The result: very rich and sweet but very delicious vanilla ice cream. I'm sure you can add various ingredients to make other flavors, too. Eat in small amounts and enjoy!

Jeanie
07-28-2012, 02:17 PM
The other day I bought some Hudsonville Orange Cream Swirl (http://hudsonvilleicecream.com/flavors/limited-edition/orange-cream-swirl/) and it was really good. Then I had the idea to buy some Sunkiss Orange Soda and make a float with it.

That was amazing!

Kirin
07-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Along the lines of Sheana's suggestion, we recently made a recipe for "ice-cream" sandwiches where the filling is basically vanilla pudding, cool whip, and mini chocolate chips mixed together. Then you dollop it between graham crackers and freeze. Pretty tasty, though next time I wouldn't do it with the not-quite-sweet-enough hippy organic graham crackers we had from the co-op.

Dawnswalker
07-29-2012, 11:48 PM
The other day I bought some Hudsonville Orange Cream Swirl (http://hudsonvilleicecream.com/flavors/limited-edition/orange-cream-swirl/) and it was really good. Then I had the idea to buy some Sunkiss Orange Soda and make a float with it.

That was amazing!

I must try this.

Except with locally-available alternatives, unless someone has a really, really cold box they can spare for shipping.

dhawks
07-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Made lime and basil sorbet sweetened with agave nectar. It is quite tart, but has a nice refreshing flavor. Probably works better as a palate cleanser than as a full-fledged dessert. It was super easy to make, though...so I'd do it again.

ArugulaZ
07-30-2012, 07:15 PM

That was amazing!

Tried it on your recommendation. Damn, that's the orangest orange that ever oranged an orange.

Falselogic
08-06-2012, 02:04 PM
I tried Ben& Jerry's Late Night Snack over the weekend, the Jimmy Fallon flavor. It was.. Okay? The chocolate fudge covered potato thingies seem more like rice puff than anything else. The salty caramel swirl though is good.

Daikaiju
08-06-2012, 02:10 PM
So DQ is selling Orange Julius now? 1985 is BACK!

Kishi
03-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Has Big Ice Cream started adding something to their product in recent years to make it easier to scoop? I hadn't actually come home with a tub in years and years, and I remember it being like chiseling rock at first; now it comes apart so easily it feels perpetually half-melted.

Falselogic
03-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Has Big Ice Cream started adding something to their product in recent years to make it easier to scoop? I hadn't actually come home with a tub in years and years, and I remember it being like chiseling rock at first; now it comes apart so easily it feels perpetually half-melted.

more seaweed than ever before!

Lumber Baron
03-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Safeway has, for probably some time now, baklava ice cream in pint sizes. It's probably the best store-bought ice cream I've had. It's got walnuts and little phylo dough bits and the honey has a nice sharp taste to it. And it's store brand. I'm into it.

http://i.imgur.com/wqA8CgU.jpg

Teaspoon
03-11-2013, 08:08 PM
I recently tried this odd product that advertised itself as vegan almond "frozen dessert". It was actually not bad, both the mouthfeel and the flavour were more or less correct (it helps that almond isn't all that common a flavour for ice cream anyway).

Shagohod
05-20-2013, 10:40 PM
Tillamook Caramel Butter Pecan ice cream is fucking awesome.

upupdowndown
06-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Mr. LRLR requested that I make him some ice cream for his impending birthday, and per his suggestion I'm making hot cinnamon spice tea ice cream. I've prepped everything, now the custard is cooling in the fridge while the ice cream maker cylinder freezes overnight.

I also made some caramel sauce while I was at it.

shivam
06-14-2013, 06:27 PM
I turned a whole crate of manila mangos into sorbet yesterday. Pretty fucking great, though it would have only improved with cream.

Paul le Fou
06-15-2013, 02:23 AM
Mr. LRLR requested that I make him some ice cream for his impending birthday, and per his suggestion I'm making hot cinnamon spice tea ice cream. I've prepped everything, now the custard is cooling in the fridge while the ice cream maker cylinder freezes overnight.

I also made some caramel sauce while I was at it.

I have an erection, and it's your fault.

Alixsar
06-15-2013, 12:06 PM
Safeway has, for probably some time now, baklava ice cream in pint sizes. It's probably the best store-bought ice cream I've had. It's got walnuts and little phylo dough bits and the honey has a nice sharp taste to it. And it's store brand. I'm into it.

http://i.imgur.com/wqA8CgU.jpg

Way LttP but...and I know this is unreliable since I work for them, but a lot of the Safeway brand is stuff is pretty good. They make knock-off Girl Scout cookies that are like samoas and thin mints and they're almost as good and as good as the originals, respectively.

Teaspoon
06-15-2013, 07:06 PM
But does Safeway make a product that includes Girl Scout cookies in a tasty, tasty ready-made mix with actual ice cream? Well, does it?

Torgo
06-15-2013, 07:34 PM
...and I know this is unreliable since I work for them, but a lot of the Safeway brand is stuff is pretty good.
Corporate shill.

But no a lot of safeway's private label stuff is pretty decent.

Teaspoon
08-16-2013, 08:28 PM
I tried an ice cream that advertised bits of brownies in it. Therefore here I am warning you all it's actually pretty nasty, because it's just ice cream with small chunks of brownie-flavoured soggy bits, which is not the ideal texture for brownies.

In retrospect that should have been well obvious.

figcube
09-03-2013, 09:37 PM
I just discovered French Vanilla mixed with orange soda. Tastes exactly like those orange creamsicles.

Rascally Badger
09-03-2013, 10:56 PM
I purchased some delicious rainbow sherbet and apparently set it next to the freezer instead of inside it. This was a very disappointing mistake.

Daikaiju
09-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Looks like your hopes of a rainbow delight...
:cool:
were dashed.

narcodis
09-09-2013, 10:41 AM
My wife made me a chocolate malt last night. Super good!

Paul le Fou
09-10-2013, 03:47 PM
I had a salted pistachio and bacon milkshake with bulleit bourbon.

It was sooooo goooood.

taosterman
09-13-2013, 09:37 AM
I had a salted pistachio and bacon milkshake with bulleit bourbon.

It was sooooo goooood.

That's a lot of savory in that there sweet. I approve.

Paul le Fou
09-17-2013, 09:29 PM
On another day I had a vanilla bean apple pie milkshake.

with bacon.

and also bourbon.

It, too, was soooooo gooooood.

Rufferto
05-04-2014, 07:05 PM
It turns out ice cream is super easy to make if you have an ice cream maker. The ice cream base is only like four ingredients, and so assuming you cook it correctly, the quality of the ingredients you use really determines the quality of the ice cream. I made some salted caramel ice cream, and while it's not as good as the the store bought version (http://www.yelp.com/biz/bi-rite-creamery-san-francisco), it's still pretty good ice cream for relatively little work.

Teaspoon
05-04-2014, 07:11 PM
Anyone else tried making it by rolling a tin back and forth?

Tedious, but enjoyable.

Falselogic
05-04-2014, 07:24 PM
Burnt Almond Icecream.

All I'm going to say.

It's the best. And now? Now its gone forever....

LBD_Nytetrayn
05-05-2014, 03:20 AM
It turns out ice cream is super easy to make if you have an ice cream maker.

Fancy that. ;)

upupdowndown
05-05-2014, 08:08 AM
after going two weeks without dessert or sugar (eating mostly paleo right now for weight loss), I had some ice cream on Saturday for my birthday from our beloved local soft-serve place.

It... it tasted too sweet. Have I ruined my taste buds forever ;_;

The Raider Dr. Jones
05-05-2014, 08:35 AM
There's a fancy local ice-cream joint here that does a couple flavors I like specifically because they aren't overly sweet. The best one is probably their Vietnamese coffee flavor.

John
05-05-2014, 09:00 AM
We went out to my parent's house the other day, and came back with a bowl of fresh blackberries and two flats of peaches. In addition to some awesome cobblers, these got turned into sorbets. The peach one turned out good, but a little on the sweet side, and the blackberry one had a nice tartness. The best option was to put a scoop of each in a bowl and get both tastes in each bite.

Matchstick
05-12-2014, 07:45 PM
Man, I need to get off of my ass and make some more of the recipes in my Jeni's cookbook now that the warm weather is upon us. I made uber chocolate before. Something fruity, maybe...

Paul le Fou
05-13-2014, 12:58 AM
I went to Baskin Robbins and there were only 20 flavors

WHAT FUCKERY IS THIS

Büge
05-13-2014, 07:01 AM
Maybe they rotate the flavours, so you have to keep coming back.

Paul le Fou
05-13-2014, 10:21 PM
No! They rotate flavors seasonally but they always have 31! Except a full third of them were missing! Empty cartons in the freezer, blank spaces on the signboard!

It was like walking into Detroit suburb, or the pit of civility.

Wolfgang
05-14-2014, 06:30 AM
I hate Baskin Robbins. It's like eating frozen dirt. All crystalline and crumbly. Blechhh. Go to Baskin Robbins and you get what you deserve.

upupdowndown
05-14-2014, 07:31 AM
I hate Baskin Robbins. It's like eating frozen dirt. All crystalline and crumbly. Blechhh. Go to Baskin Robbins and you get what you deserve.

I've only been into one in my life, when I was on vacation. No BRs in Cincinnati because Graeter's (http://www.graeters.com/) is omnipresent (and some of the best ice cream in the country).

of course, Jeni's (http://jenisicecreams.com/) to the north of us in Columbus is even better.

Wolfgang
05-14-2014, 07:33 AM
Did you like BR or do you (rightly!) agree that it is a flavorless mess

Sprite
05-14-2014, 07:33 AM
The Big Gay Ice Cream Truck better be back this Summer in NYC because I want a Godzilla cone* so much. They've got a couple stores but for some reason they only sell that cone in the truck, and sometimes they can't do the truck.

*Soft-serve ice cream rolled in crushed wasabi peas. That probably sounds weird but I love it.

upupdowndown
05-14-2014, 07:34 AM
Did you like BR or do you (rightly!) agree that it is a flavorless mess

I was seven at the time so I was easily impressed that they had a Lemon flavor

Wolfgang
05-14-2014, 07:36 AM
The Big Gay Ice Cream Truck better be back this Summer in NYC because I want a Godzilla cone* so much. They've got a couple stores but for some reason they only sell that cone in the truck, and sometimes they can't do the truck.

*Soft-serve ice cream rolled in crushed wasabi peas. That probably sounds weird but I love it.

Ehh, the Salty Pimp is the best anyways, though the Bea Arthur is the best name/concept pairing.

Bunk Moreland
05-14-2014, 08:31 AM
Graeter's is so damn good I have to have some when I go visit in August. Hopefully at a Red's game, even if it's overpriced.

31 is like the only real ice cream place around here, but at least in Japan the quality is a lot higher.

Paul le Fou
05-15-2014, 06:23 AM
at least in Japan the quality is a lot higher.

Yeah, BR here has some really good stuff. McDonald's is similarly way better (read: edible, not disgusting, actual food) here.

John
05-15-2014, 09:46 AM
We went out to my parent's house the other day, and came back with a bowl of fresh blackberries and two flats of peaches. In addition to some awesome cobblers, these got turned into sorbets. The peach one turned out good, but a little on the sweet side, and the blackberry one had a nice tartness. The best option was to put a scoop of each in a bowl and get both tastes in each bite.

Got a new shipment in, and this time my wife put both peaches and blackberries into the mix. Winner winner! Also, putting a couple scoops into a blender with rum and a splash of St. Germain makes a really nice frozen cocktail.

Red Hedgehog
05-15-2014, 12:37 PM
Ehh, the Salty Pimp is the best anyways, though the Bea Arthur is the best name/concept pairing.

Yes, those are my two favorite big gay ice cream offerings as well. Though I have yet to try the Godzilla...

Wolfgang
05-15-2014, 07:44 PM
Yes, those are my two favorite big gay ice cream offerings as well. Though I have yet to try the Godzilla...

I like the Godzilla more than the Bea Arthur (Sprite is right when he says it's definitely worth tracking down) but less than the Salty Pimp.

Asema
05-15-2014, 08:51 PM
Can anyone point me to good waffle cone offerings? I didn't get the chance to try Cold Stone Creamery's before they closed up here, and there are a few "frozen yogurt" cone offerings here that are good enough but not amazing.

Mightyblue
05-15-2014, 09:21 PM
Well, the waffle cone will be denser, and have a slightly sweeter flavor profile than a regular cone, if that makes a difference.

But get em chocolate (well, hot fudge) dipped if you can, makes it so much better, and prevents the ice cream from making the cone soggy.

Rufferto
05-16-2014, 12:33 AM
I made Philadelphia style orange creamsicle ice cream. Yes, it tastes as good as it sounds.

Rufferto
05-16-2014, 12:51 AM
While I'm on the creamsicle note, I'd just like to mention that Helados paletas are really, really, good and are only a dollar. They have this strawberry creamsicle flavor that's strawberry ice on the outside and the inside is some weird special vanilla ice cream that's almost taffy-like in texture. For some reason, this flavor is basically impossible to find in stores. You'll almost always see the standard flavors of mango, strawberry (both the strawberry fruit bar and and the strawberry ice cream), cookies and cream (which is excellent), pecans, and like, rice, but never this strawberry creamsicle flavor. Where the hell are my gatdang ice cream pops.

Sprite
05-16-2014, 10:09 AM
I like the Godzilla more than the Bea Arthur (Sprite is right when he says it's definitely worth tracking down) but less than the Salty Pimp.
This is clearly a matter we can only solve with a Big Gay Meetup.

Wolfgang
05-16-2014, 02:57 PM
in-freaking-deed

with bonus mario kart 8

Bunk Moreland
05-16-2014, 04:24 PM
I don't know if this is something you can find commonly enough in like bigger supermarkets/Asian markets in the US now, but when I was living in this town in Ibaraki, one store had Thai coconut ice cream. It was really good and didn't taste like coconut, but it had a different texture from regular ice cream. Totally recommended at least once, because the flavors are great and the different texture can give you a new perspective on ice cream.

Paul le Fou
05-18-2014, 04:28 AM
I had sugarcane and salt cookie at Blue Seal in Okinawa

Do we have Blue Seal in America? I know it's originally American but I've only ever seen its like ice cream sandwiches and Popsicles in truck stops and not actual ice cream much less a store.

Red Hedgehog
05-18-2014, 03:31 PM
This is clearly a matter we can only solve with a Big Gay Meetup.

They have a store front as well (though it's definitely nicer to grab a cone and sit in Union Square)

Bunk Moreland
05-18-2014, 04:04 PM
I had sugarcane and salt cookie at Blue Seal in Okinawa

Do we have Blue Seal in America? I know it's originally American but I've only ever seen its like ice cream sandwiches and Popsicles in truck stops and not actual ice cream much less a store.

I was gonna confirm seeing this at a Wal-mart before, but then I realized that was Blue Bunny.

Sprite
05-19-2014, 11:38 AM
They have a store front as well (though it's definitely nicer to grab a cone and sit in Union Square)
Their stores are wonderful and I like to visit them, but they do not offer the Godzilla cone, and thus are inferior experiences for me.

Paul le Fou
05-20-2014, 08:31 PM
I had single malt (yes, whiskey) gelato and it was famtazderfullent. It was very very good.

Bunk Moreland
05-28-2014, 08:07 AM
I had an ice coffee Garigari-kun this morning (I bought it last night but it melted in the bag on the way home, so I let it re-freeze). It's totally the best way to do ice coffee.

Issun
07-18-2014, 04:53 PM
http://i.imgur.com/DvSwOMo.jpg

:eek:

Daikaiju
07-20-2014, 08:13 AM
Issun has shown us The Way.

Droewyn
07-20-2014, 09:41 AM
Just remember to bake progressively smaller cookies.

ArugulaZ
07-21-2014, 05:52 PM
I discovered a really tasty ice cream flavor, Summer Celebration, by the Hudsonville Ice Cream company. It combines vanilla ice cream with strawberry and blueberry (!) sherbets for a taste that's as explosively delicious as it is patriotic. The only downside is that it does pretty weird things to your bowel movements. Since when does red, white, and blue make green?

Galadrome
07-21-2014, 07:16 PM
I discovered a really tasty ice cream flavor, Summer Celebration, by the Hudsonville Ice Cream company. It combines vanilla ice cream with strawberry and blueberry (!) sherbets for a taste that's as explosively delicious as it is patriotic. The only downside is that it does pretty weird things to your bowel movements. Since when does red, white, and blue make green?

That might have been all of the arugula you ate...

Jeanie
07-21-2014, 08:08 PM

I've seen that, I've wanted to try that, but I still have a carton each of Orange Creme and Creamy Cappuccino sitting in my freezer.

Have you seen the new flavor Hudsonville revealed today? Vanilla ice creme with marshmallow swirls, graham cracker chunks, and chocolate flakes.

estragon
07-21-2014, 08:38 PM
Q:
Since when does red, white, and blue make green?

A:
milk, sugar, water, corn syrup, cream, skim milk, whey, blueberries, citric acid, raspberry juice concentrate, raspberry puree, mono and diglycerides, guar gum, nautral flavors, carob bean gum, blueberry juice concentrate, karaya gum, red 40, cellulose gum, blue 1, disodium phosphate, polysorbate 80, xanthan gum, annatto (color), pectin, carrageenan, vanillin.

ArugulaZ
07-21-2014, 08:44 PM
That might have been all of the arugula you ate...

Har de har har!

I've seen that, I've wanted to try that, but I still have a carton each of Orange Creme and Creamy Cappuccino sitting in my freezer.

Have you seen the new flavor Hudsonville revealed today? Vanilla ice creme with marshmallow swirls, graham cracker chunks, and chocolate flakes.

I haven't seen it, but it's on their web site. Winter Campfire sounds like something they might sit on for a few months. I'd try it, though. Seems pretty S'mores-like judging from the ingredients.

Torzelbaum
07-21-2014, 10:36 PM
So blue 1 means green 2?

Daikaiju
08-06-2014, 06:47 PM
Heavenly Hash is ok, but I definitely prefer Rocky Road. I'll take individual marshmallows over that swirl anyday.

Daikaiju
09-06-2014, 07:42 PM
Mom had me drive her to the UConn Dairy Bar for her birthday, for ice cream.

Worth it.

taosterman
07-31-2015, 05:21 AM
Amused to find out that Canada has a Barenaked Ladies-themed flavor of Ben & Jerry's:

http://i.imgur.com/PMyBkQl.png

Sadly, none of these million flavors are Chickity China the Chinese Chicken, or cocaine.

Daikaiju
08-02-2015, 03:21 PM
If that's Canadian Ben & Jerry's, where the mandatory maple leaf logo?

JBear
08-04-2015, 10:21 AM
There was raspberry cheesecake ice cream on sale at the grocery store this week, so I bought a tub on a whim. My entire life to this point has been wasted.

Rivers
08-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Now that I own a working freezer, I can finally buy ice cream again! I've been craving some Dreyer's Edy's Cookies & Cream for so long.

Mara
08-14-2015, 01:14 PM
^ This was totally me a couple of months ago when I got a working fridge/freezer after over 6 months. So this happened.

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n561/marazilla/IMG_7028_zpsmtkb8ujf.jpg

Since uudd introduced me to Graeter's ice cream when we hung out in Cincinnati, it's been my preferred drug of choice. :D

Daikaiju
08-14-2015, 05:16 PM
I see a disturbing lack of fudgesicles.

Lucas
08-24-2015, 12:20 PM
As it turns out I do not have the self-control needed to eat gelato responsibly.

zephyrus
08-24-2015, 12:44 PM
As it turns out I do not have the self-control needed to eat gelato responsibly.
Likewise.