PDA

View Full Version : The Live Music Thread

ShakeWell
02-06-2010, 08:05 PM
As in concertgoing. I like live music. There's much good indie rock in Milwaukee and many shows to which I go. Do you go to shows? If you do, you should tell us all about the bands you go to see and which ones suck live so we don't waste our money. And tell us about which ones are amazing live (GWAR) and must be witnessed live, even if you don't like their records.

To start, I'm going to see Cursive and the Alkaline Trio in Chicago in three weeks and I am goddamn excited.

gamin
02-06-2010, 08:16 PM
I do like seeing live music at a local bar or cafe. I have seen some good local acts, Tea Coazies being especially notable. I have never gone to any actual large concerts though, aside from a few Seattle Symphony performances with my family.

Sheana
02-06-2010, 08:35 PM
I haven't been to one in a few years, but I've seen multiple concerts, though generally of a Classic Rock variety:

Bruce Springsteen & The E. Street Band
The Who (like 4 times, 2 of them in London)
Robert Plant (opening act for The Who once)
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers / Bob Dylan double-header
Random old Irish man in a pub

The Who (what's left of them) are two of the most energetic and boisterous old men I have ever seen, even with Roger Daltrey's voice on the ropes. The fact that Zak Starkey is probably one of the best living drummers these days doesn't hurt them either. Definitely worth seeing at least once live, and the times I saw them in London (one in a very small club, the other in the gorgeous Royal Albert Hall) were goddamn amazing.

Dylan was...well, everything you've heard about Dylan's live performances of the past twenty years or so. Croaky, hard-to-hear lyrics, strange song choices, slightly inappropriate backing band drowning everything out, etc. I felt terrible about it, I wanted to stick it out, but my family left with a bunch of other people after several songs. Really the only good part was when he did a duet with Tom Petty on a couple Travelling Wilburys songs before his act (George Harrison had died a few months earlier).

Which reminds me, turns out Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers are kind of fantastic live! I figured they'd be good, but they were way good. They're actually tied with The Who's '04 London shows for my favorite concert attendance of all time. If you have the chance, go see 'em! It's well worth it! There's also nothing quite like hearing Tom Petty's voice in real life and realizing that this is a real thing.

I love the little shindigs and local moments, too. There's this Irish pub on the riverfront in Savannah, GA where I went to college (SCAD), and the little old actual-factual Irish owner liked to get up some nights with an acoustic guitar and perform all sorts of Irish and English folk songs. Really pretty and well done, very relaxting.

BEAT
02-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Bomb the music industry are in Orlando on the 15th.

I literally cannot wait. I'm pumped.

Little Sampson
02-06-2010, 09:05 PM
I don't go to a large number of concerts, but The Avett Brothers were fantastic if that's your type of thing.

I'll also say that I've heard many street musicians in New Orleans that are miles better than most "legit" live acts I've seen.

taidan
02-06-2010, 09:17 PM
I haven't gone to many shows, and I'm not really sure if I want to try harder. On one hand, I've missed out on some bands I would have loved to see, at a few venues close by. On the other hand, I've been to those places before, and the experience was so-so. One is incredibly small/filled with smoke (for clarity, I'm a smoker, and I still found it overwhelming), which made me wonder how long it would be until a fire broke out and we all died. The other was filled with the most annoying people who never quit talking during the entire show.

The best concerts I've been to have, sadly, been at Nissan Pavilion, because you get a seat and that's that. Nothing to distract you, but also no thrill.

I guess what I'm saying is I like the idea of the wild standing crowd at the local live show, but I'm too small and meek to revel in it.

mr_bungle700
02-06-2010, 10:12 PM
I went to so many live shows as a kid that I actually manged to burn myself out. I'd like to start up again someday though.

BodhiTraveller
02-06-2010, 11:24 PM
I enjoy live music, though I have less time to go than I used to. I always see Tea Leaf Green (http://www.tealeafgreen.com) when they are in town - they get thrown in with the jam bands, but they are much more like sometimes folksy piano rock, and put on an amazing live show.

Also the best live shows are always when I get the chance to go outside of Los Angeles. Apparently Angelino audiences are kind of sucky, and come to shows expecting to be given a good time rather than to have a good time.

- - -

Also, back when The Darkness was still together they were amazing fun live.

Bongo Bill
02-06-2010, 11:34 PM
On Thursday I saw Béla Fleck. This was amazing.

Kevin
02-06-2010, 11:36 PM
This is probably obvious if you're into live music, but: The Flaming Lips. I don't go to a lot of concerts, but I saw them at a park right near here last summer, and it was great. I already knew about the theatrics--the custom light equipment, the confetti, the balloons, Wayne Coyne walking on the audience in a big inflatable ball--but in person, it all added up to create this experience around the music that made things feel so much more... visceral, or something, than just listening to an album. I can still remember how they timed the strobe lights and confetti blasts in Pompeii am Gotterdammerung, and when I listen to the song now I'm a little sad that it's only music.

ravinoff
02-07-2010, 01:54 AM
Best live concerts I've ever seen:

1. Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
2. Joanna Newsom w/ the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra
3. The Secret Chiefs 3
4. Estradasphere
5. Battles
6. Faun Fables
7. Man or Astroman?
8. The Arcade Fire
9. Sufjan Stevens
10. Melt Banana

demonkoala
02-07-2010, 03:08 AM

Bela is a good man. I'm a huge fan of Victor Wooten, so I saw the Flecktones and a good time was had.

I saw Polysics for the third time tonight. Amazing show as always. I highly recommend them, and since they are on their last tour with their current (amazing) lineup in the US currently...you really ought to see them.

ravinoff
02-07-2010, 03:10 AM
I saw Polysics for the third time tonight. Amazing show as always. I highly recommend them, and since they are on their last tour with their current (amazing) lineup in the US currently...you really ought to see them.

The Polysics put on an exceptionally fun show.

mr_bungle700
02-07-2010, 06:09 AM
I think it's impossible to not have fun at a Polysics show.

They actually played at my high school once because my music teacher was friends with Jeff Coffin.

It was awesome.

Also, my brother has played with Victor Wooten, which would be awesome except for the fact that I wasn't there to see it/jam with them. So mostly it just makes me jealous of my brother.

Bergasa
02-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Concerts Bergasa has been to:

- Rush
- John Fogerty
- Sam Roberts
- Modest Mouse

They were all great live.

shivam
02-07-2010, 12:11 PM
i love love love live music, and tomorrow i'm going to see The Editors play.
I've seen Metallica like 6 times, REM about that, and a million other bands.

The Roots are freaking amazing live, as is Cake.

Calorie Mate
02-07-2010, 12:17 PM
I used to go to a lot of live shows, but...eh, I don't know. I like to support bands I really like, maybe buy a shirt or something, but I think I've out grown it. I'm much happier just listening to the band I want to hear at home and not having to stand for 3 hours of shittier bands I don't want to see.

I went to so many live shows as a kid that I actually manged to burn myself out. I'd like to start up again someday though.

Yeah, same here. You can only see so many small indie / punk rock / metal / hardcore bands play before the shows feel very same-y.

Best live concerts I've ever seen:

1. Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

Oh god they're terrifying.

shivam
02-07-2010, 12:22 PM
live shows are pretty much the only way i listen to music anymore.

ravinoff
02-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Oh god they're terrifying.
I'm not sure if you meant that as a compliment or a complaint but yeah, they put on a live show like no one else. Gotta love art-y experimental metal.

Kirin
02-07-2010, 01:41 PM
I'm dithering about whether to go see TMBG in Charlotte next month. It's a 2.5-hour drive each way on a weeknight (and I have work). Normally, I'd go (I've driven even farther to Ashevilee to see them before), but I just caught them in Raleigh last fall, and I don't know if the show's changed much since then, so I was leaning towards no. But now I find out that Jonathan Coulton is opening for them (I've never seen him live, and I've wanted to), so I'm back to undecided.

Marfy
02-07-2010, 01:47 PM
I love concerts but don't get to go to many because:

I don't share the same musical tastes as most of my friends (though sometimes, going to a show alone can be fun)
Most of my favorite bands are long broken up
I like to sit at shows because I'm short and have a bad back, which just leads to my friends calling me a pussy
...that's about it.

I did manage to see Jonathan Coulton and Paul & Storm for the second time here in Glasgow last year. It was very different than seeing them in Atlanta, especially during Paul & Storm's set; I guess they didn't come with JoCo the last time he was here, so the crowd was almost completely unfamiliar with them. Also, barely 100 people versus around 500.

Off the top of my head, I've seen AFI, Morrissey (once each), Tegan and Sara, Bright Eyes, Tilly and the Wall (all twice) and innumerable awful screamo bands at the local 18-and-under club circa 2003-2005.

ravinoff
02-07-2010, 03:23 PM
at the local 18-and-under club circa 2003-2005.

Was that club Swayze's? What an awful venue with horrible sound.

NevznachaY
02-08-2010, 06:19 AM
I see lots of gigs.

I went to see Peter, Bjorn and John on Thursday. They proved to be great musicians and were appropriately Swedish. And no one left after "Young Folks"!

Queen Possum
02-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Off the top of my head, I've seen AFI, Morrissey (once each), Tegan and Sara, Bright Eyes, Tilly and the Wall (all twice) and innumerable awful screamo bands at the local 18-and-under club circa 2003-2005.

Soooooo...we need to start going to shows when you get back to town.

My favorite live act at the moment is this little band out of Nashville called the Worsties. The first time I saw them, the lead singer came out on stage dressed up like she was leading a glam rock aerobics class, and, for the rest of the concert, lived up to the costume. Fortunately, they are BFF with a band in Atlanta and play here pretty regularly.

Ben Folds Five and the Foo Fighters probably put on the best concerts I have ever actually been to, tho. And say what you will about Billy Corgan, but the Pumpkins psuedo-reunion tour was pretty kick-ass.

Marfy
02-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Was that club Swayze's? What an awful venue with horrible sound.

Hahaha, holy shit. Yes, it was Swayze's. It's still open!

Violentvixen
02-09-2010, 09:04 AM
I am planning on seeing Muse in Portland in April (and this thread has reminded me that I haven't bought tickets yet), it'll be Lumber Baron's first time seeing them and my third. I saw them at Red Rocks (http://www.redrocksonline.com/) in Denver which is just a freaking amazing venue. I also saw them in Denver at some tiny dive years before when tickets were only $20 because no one knew who the hell they were.

Everclear is also damn fun. Another one I've seen multiple times (with multiple band members, ha). Lots of talking to the crowd, a good time.

Tom Petty was fun but such a freaking huge crowd it was kind of crazy. I definitely like smaller venues better overall.

Other ones... Death Cab for Cutie is a waste of time live as they haven't interacted with the crowd at all both times I've seen them, Decemberists do fantastic crowd interaction but I don't really like most of their music. Guster wasn't as amazing as I've heard, I was pretty disappointed in them. I saw Barenaked Ladies way back in the day which was fun as well but I don't like their music enough anymore to make it worth seeing.

shivam
02-09-2010, 11:38 AM
I saw The Editors last night, and they were absolutely outstanding. It was like seeing the natural progression of Joy Division and Depeche Mode with modern style. I'd see them again in a heartbeat.

Their opening band, The Antlers, however? Complete hipster douchbaggery. worst band i've ever seen live.

Schmidt
02-09-2010, 12:29 PM
5. Battles
8. The Arcade Fire
Jealous! Super jealous, because I think they both played at The Orange Peel in Asheville, but in both cases it was before I'd heard of the bands.

I saw The Smashing Pumpkins when they toured for MACHINA, which was arguably the worst time to see them, but they were my super favorite band of all time when I was in high school, and my parents hadn't let me see them on the Mellon Collie tour when I was a sophomore, so I took what I could get.

That was my second real "big concert" that made an impression and that I specifically went to cause hey, I want to see these people. I saw a bunch of crappy christian bands growing up with church that I certainly wouldn't count.

My first real concert was Collective Soul in a small little venue around here somewhere. I didn't live in the area at the time, so I don't remember where it was, but it was just a little upstairs room at a bar, and it was awesome. I can't remember the last time I listened to my old Collective Soul albums, but they're at least reasonably non-embarrassing to look back on, and being right there packed into a small room with them and then having the power go off in the building and they just kept singing, that makes a good impression.

I saw some bands at the summer festivals they used to do in Atlanta (On the Bricks, or something?), but I don't remember any of them but Nickle Creek, who weren't really my thing anyway. I remember they ended with a cover of Coldplay's Yellow, which was like boring squared.

But then! Ben Folds in what was basically Furman University's gym, that was awesome. He does put on a great show. And then I finally discovered The Orange Peel in Asheville, beginning with: And say what you will about Billy Corgan, but the Pumpkins psuedo-reunion tour was pretty kick-ass.Yes! Again, the Pumpkins were a favorite growing up, so when I heard they were playing nine nights in a row at a venue an hour and a half away, I was ready to go every night. Of course servers were overwhelmed and tickets went fast, but I managed to snag tickets for two nights back to back, and it was fantastic. And that's also what introduced me to The Orange Peel, which is a great venue for being small enough to make just about any concert awesome, but well known enough to pull some big acts. It kills me when I see the bands that played there before I knew about it: Arcade Fire, Battles, Mastodon, Queens of the Stone Age*, man, I'd have killed anyone here to be at one of those shows.

I did make it back to see The Squirrel Nut Zippers there last year, and it's right up there with my other favorites. They're such a charismatic band, and they're right there in your face, and then as they closed out the encore, they all just started grabbing their instruments and marched off the stage into the crowd and we all just danced around in circles. Marvelous.

I saw Tool at the Bi-Lo Center in Greenville, which has terrible sound. Tool's great, but it wasn't the best place to see them. Plus I was not prepared for Melt Banana, who opened for them. My ears are still ringing.

Saw The White Stripes in at the Myrtle Beach House of Blues, which was decent, but Jack was in kind of a bitchy mood. He was frustrated about something with his guitar and stopped a few songs halfway during the course of the evening.

Next up, Vampire Weekend at The Orange Peel in April. I'm psyched!

(*if you're being pedantic, QoTSA and Mastodon were both after Smashing Pumpkins, but I didn't find out about the QotSA concert till the day of, which was too late to make arrangements to get up there, and I hadn't quite decided I liked Mastodon yet when they came through. In the future, I'll take a chance with a band I'm on the fence on)

Queen Possum
02-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Yes! Again, the Pumpkins were a favorite growing up, so when I heard they were playing nine nights in a row at a venue an hour and a half away, I was ready to go every night. Of course servers were overwhelmed and tickets went fast, but I managed to snag tickets for two nights back to back, and it was fantastic. And that's also what introduced me to The Orange Peel, which is a great venue for being small enough to make just about any concert awesome, but well known enough to pull some big acts. It kills me when I see the bands that played there before I knew about it: Arcade Fire, Battles, Mastodon, Queens of the Stone Age*, man, I'd have killed anyone here to be at one of those shows.

Oh man, I tried so hard to get tickets to the residency. The Orange Peel is hands down my favorite venue.

But seeing them at the Fabulous Fox was still pretty great!

Schmidt
02-09-2010, 06:36 PM
I spent five hours in front of the computer the Sunday tickets were supposed to go on sale, refreshing as fast as possible till I finally got word that they were officially giving up on selling them that day, and then camped out at three different computers at work the following night to make sure I got tickets when they started selling again. I think I really would have gone up to about five nights in a row if I'd been able to get any more, but they sold out fast and I was lucky the tickets I did get were back to back nights.

I've never been to the Fox theater, but I've got friends that went to that show and said it was awesome. I think someone told me the Foo Fighters played there once and it was amazing too. They're up at the top of my list of bands I haven't heard live but would love to.

ShakeWell
02-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Also, back when The Darkness was still together they were amazing fun live.

Word. I saw them a couple of times, it was awesome.

This is probably obvious if you're into live music, but: The Flaming Lips.

My fiancee saw them at Bonneroo the summer before we got together and said it was fucking amazing.

10. Melt Banana

They just played with Melt Banana Light (read: themselves, except using synths instead of noisy guitars) in Madison, but I missed it. My best friend said he's not sure if Melt Banana or Melt Banana Light was better.

And say what you will about Billy Corgan, but the Pumpkins psuedo-reunion tour was pretty kick-ass.

I saw the anniversary show in Chicago last winter and holy crap! The encore was "We Only Come Out at Night" on kazoo!

Queen Possum
02-09-2010, 09:13 PM
OMG Bonnaroo lineup (http://bonnaroo.com/artists/2010.aspx), you magnificent bastard! You know I can't afford you!

I saw the anniversary show in Chicago last winter and holy crap! The encore was "We Only Come Out at Night" on kazoo!

When I saw them, they invited all the kids in the audience onstage (and there was a surprising number, including an baby in diapers who's dad just handed it to Billy), who they then attempted to lead in a sing-a-long of Rock On.

demonkoala
02-09-2010, 09:18 PM
They just played with Melt Banana Light (read: themselves, except using synths instead of noisy guitars) in Madison, but I missed it. My best friend said he's not sure if Melt Banana or Melt Banana Light was better.

One of my friends was just talking about their tour the other day and wishing he could go.
OMG Bonnaroo lineup (http://bonnaroo.com/artists/2010.aspx), you magnificent bastard! You know I can't afford you!

Personally, I'm psyched to go to SXSW this year. Once again, all for free.

BurningBeard
02-11-2010, 12:29 AM
Hm. Best shows I've seen? That would probably be Clutch at Headliners in Louisville, Gwar at the same place, and The Asylum Street Spankers at the Kentucky Center for the Arts. I don't know if anyone here is familiar with Clutch, but if you like your riffs meaty, groovy, and like a fuzzy bit of the blues fronted by a man who appears to be getting a pentacostal congregation into an uproar, then you'd love them. Much beer and much fun. Gwar is Gwar and I don't think I need to explain them.

The Spankers though are a total prize. They're entirely self-funded. They took out a friggin' business loan for 120k in '94 to do what they do. The frontwoman has like three kids and plays six instruments. They're all acoustic and it's kind of a mix of ragtime, bluegrass, and some goofy, off-color tunes all mishmashed together. Oh, and the upright bass player has a mohawk that is every bit of a foot tall. Just amazing live.

And, I'm going to see Porcupine Tree in Cincinatti this May. Those buggers never come over from the UK so I'm majorly thrilled.

Matchstick
02-11-2010, 01:16 AM
I don't know if anyone here is familiar with Clutch,

Oh, yes, we're familiar (at least Stephen and I). I suspected that that's where you userid came from.

And, I'm going to see Porcupine Tree in Cincinatti this May. Those buggers never come over from the UK so I'm majorly thrilled.

Actually, they come over regularly. I've seen them 4 times since In Absentia came out. They put on a great show.

taidan
02-11-2010, 06:45 AM
Their opening band, The Antlers, however? Complete hipster douchbaggery. worst band i've ever seen live.

Well of course - their name is animal related.

ShakeWell
02-12-2010, 12:24 AM
The Spankers though are a total prize. They're entirely self-funded. They took out a friggin' business loan for 120k in '94 to do what they do. The frontwoman has like three kids and plays six instruments. They're all acoustic and it's kind of a mix of ragtime, bluegrass, and some goofy, off-color tunes all mishmashed together. Oh, and the upright bass player has a mohawk that is every bit of a foot tall. Just amazing live.

My tattoo artist loves the fuck out of that band.

BEAT
02-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Last night I went to the Orlando show in Bomb the Music Industry's "iPod tour".

There's something beautiful perfect and pure about a room full of people aged 16-30 jumping and screaming and rocking out around a single man with a guitar and an Ipod. He played every song requested, including my own, and everybody danced and sang along to every single one. I think the mike spent more time getting passed around among fans more than it was on the stand.

I haven't had that much fun in ages.

ShakeWell
02-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Last night I went to the Orlando show in Bomb the Music Industry's "iPod tour".

There's something beautiful perfect and pure about a room full of people aged 16-30 jumping and screaming and rocking out around a single man with a guitar and an Ipod. He played every song requested, including my own, and everybody danced and sang along to every single one. I think the mike spent more time getting passed around among fans more than it was on the stand.

I haven't had that much fun in ages.

That sounds awesome.

Also, I went to White, Wrench, Conservatory's last show last weekend. It was sad, but awesome. My fiancee said she felt like she just saw three people get naked on stage (the bass player wasn't in the original lineup, so I guess he didn't have the outpouring of emotion). Considering one of my best friends is the guitar player, it was pretty emotional for me too.

Queen Possum
02-23-2010, 03:50 PM
I will be seeing Tegan and Sara in about 2 hours. I am very excited about this.

teg
02-23-2010, 04:16 PM
I am torn. I have never been to a concert before, but Metric is coming to the area and I can get a ticket pretty cheap and go with my friends.
On the other hand, I really shouldn't be spending any money at all right now and the things I have to save for are a lot more important to me.

HNNNNNNNNNNGGG

ShakeWell
03-02-2010, 12:50 AM
I saw the Alkaline Trio & Cursive last night. The Alkaline Trio played a cover of "Attitude" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RGuhgS9dDk) during their encore. It was awesome.

Matchstick
03-02-2010, 07:48 AM
I saw Silversun Pickups & Muse last night. I mainly went to see SSPU, who were awesome, but Muse tore the roof off the place and had an amazing stage show. Thoroughly entertaining.

ravinoff
03-02-2010, 08:17 AM
Joanna Newsom is playing here this month and Owen Pallett is playing next month.

I saw Newsom with the Atlanta Symphony two years or so ago and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Owen Pallett's Heartland is so far my favorite album of the year (calendar year) and ties for my favorite album of the year (last twelve months; it ties with the Flaming Lips' Embryonic).

So yeah, I am excited about upcoming concerts.

Kirin
05-05-2010, 11:10 AM
This thread was kind of hard to find. Anyway...

Last night I saw the Aquabats! I didn't really know much about them, but some friends were going so I tagged along. They were pretty awesome. I guess they're... cartoon superhero rock? I dunno. At one point they fought giant enemy crabs onstage, which was pretty fantastic.

There were also a couple openers. The Action Design wasn't anything particularly special but I dug them well enough. Might have bought a CD if the merch table wasn't mobbed later on, oh well. Then there was Koo Koo Kangaroo, which... hurt my brain. They're basically old kid's TV memes filtered through white-boy rap. I dunno, man. But they had us all doing a variant of the hokey pokey by the end of their set, so they must be doing something right.

Now I'm having trouble deciding what other concerts to go to in the next couple weeks, because for some reason everything is happening at once. Later this week The Protomen are mysteriously showing up at a local bar. I'm sorely tempted by the prospect of Megaman rock opera, but I think they're playing really late, so I dunno.

Then next week there's an Ok Go concert, which I'll probably pass on because I'm not sure I know enough of their music beyond their awesome videos to make buying tickets worth it. And then Jonothan Coulton, who I just saw opening for TMBG, but this is a full concert and he's never made it down here before. Hmmmm.

ShakeWell
05-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Last night I saw the Aquabats!

I don't care what anyone says, the Aquabats are awesome. I have a friend who's an Aqua-cadet. We went to a show in Chicago once and he wore a domino mask and a beanie and a cape. It was awesome.

Little Sampson
06-04-2010, 02:52 PM
I just bought tickets to see The National and Owen Pallett in Atlanta in October.

I am incredibly pumped.

Matchstick
06-24-2010, 08:36 PM
Last night, I went to see Silversun Pickups at Constitution Hall in DC. I'd previously seen them open for Muse, although I went to that show specifically to see SSPU. This time, they were the headliner and it was well worth it. The were obviously able to play a lot longer and the venue was much more appropriate for their music. They seemed genuinely happy and a bit flabbergasted at the size of the crowd.

I'd ended up with an extra ticket to the show since my buddy that was going to go bagged out on me. Byron from the forum (whom I had not previously met) helped me out by picking up my orphaned ticket and said he had a great time as well.

BodhiTraveller
06-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Question: Who here goes to see bands they don't know, because the cover is cheap and they just want to see a show, and how does it go?

I haven't gone to a concert in what is quickly becoming a year, because the bands I like a) haven't been coming to LA, b) come when I am swamped with work and I'm not a carefree student anymore, or c) broke up, like a bunch of hosers. As readers of this thread know, concerts are the best thing, and their lack in my life is impacting my level of contentment.

I'm thinking about just going to a cool venue and seeing whoever it is because, hey, its a show, and it will give me a chance to hear something new. For those in LA, I'm thinking about going to Hotel Cafe (http://www.hotelcafe.com/), because Trevor Garrod (http://www.myspace.com/trevorgarrod) played there when he was in town. Who here has gone to any `ol show, and what should I do for best results?

Kirin
09-20-2010, 08:52 AM
Resurrection for an unexpected concert! Apologies for the copypasta repost from my blog:

So I hadn't really paid much attention to Lady Gaga previously, since my usual reaction to the new pop hotness is *yawn*. But since C's dad is driving for her current tour, we had an opportunity to get free tickets to her Raleigh show, and I thought sure, it should at least be an interesting experience. So ok, I'm convinced now. Lady Gaga kicks ass.

She can definitely sing. She knows how to put on a spectacle of a show. At the same time, she seems pretty genuine, doing a lot of (at least somewhat) unscripted chatting with the audience in between extremely scripted production numbers. And she has enough breadth to branch out a bit from her usual dance pop, doing some "girl at the piano" stuff as well. Though since there has to be a twist, the piano did have a vortex of fire coming out of it. I approve of this twist.

And on top of all that, she's putting her money and influence where her mouth is on LGBTQ youth causes, which I approve of even more. Throughout the concert she kept reiterating a message of inclusiveness and self-acceptance that was great, and pretty refreshing compared to a lot of other stuff in the world of big commercial sexy pop music. Speaking of which, I also have to give an extra thumb up for anyone who's even slightly undermining the usual pablum being pumped out by the corporate music industry. Sure, she's making them tons of money now, but I doubt they planned on her. Anyone who can put on a show this aggressively *weird* and fill arenas has got to be doing something interesting.

gamin
09-28-2010, 12:59 AM
The Flaming Lips are amazing live. This may have been the best live performance I have ever seen a band do. Sensory overload! Flashing lights, lasers beamed out on disco balls, confetti, balloons, and a great stage presence honed by over 25 years of playing. Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti opened, and they sounded great live, played a good selection of old and new music.

TK Flash
09-28-2010, 01:45 AM
I totally saw Metallica last Sunday in Saitama Super Arena, and it was totally super.

shivam
09-28-2010, 01:48 AM
X Japan! Tomorrow!

ajr82
09-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Arcade Fire put on a pretty awesome show last week. It turns out that 8 people on stage can actually create a lot of noise! Who knew?

Moirae
09-28-2010, 11:21 AM
Explosions in the Sky. They just put on a show here in Baltimore a few weeks ago in an old abandoned church. It was over 100 degrees inside. We loved it.

mugenkokoro
09-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Ooh there is a live concert thread!

In August I saw Rush and Lady Gaga within three days of each other, which was awesome.

Rush played for three hours and completely blew me away...I've been actively exploring some of their other albums I had never heard before then, and it's been great (Power Windows has especially grabbed me after hearing them play Marathon at the show). It was also my first outdoor show (I saw it at the MN State Fair, and they started just as the sun set. Beautiful.

Lady Gaga lived up to the hype. She put on a fucking SHOW. I'm tempted to say it was more about the show/spectacle than the music, but most of the sound coming from the stage was from real people playing real instruments, and Lady Gaga actually singing. She had some moving speeches about gay rights and stuff too, which was great because I was there with my partner. LOTS of gays and fag hags in that building...I don't know if you can get much more different than Gaga's fanbase and Rush's fanbase.

I saw Ratatat a few weeks ago at First Ave, and they were great. I saw them in 08 as well, and I think I liked that show better, and seriously First Ave was too small of a venue for them. It was jam-packed in there, and I had to focus too much on the douchebags around me than just getting my groove on.

I really feel stupid for missing Flaming Lips when they played here last week. I hear nothing but good about their live show. I just didn't like Embryonic at all, and I'm terribly short on money, so I skipped it.

I am going to Hot Chip/LCD Soundsystem in October. It's gonna be awesome!

Kirin
09-28-2010, 12:50 PM
I don't know if you can get much more different than Gaga's fanbase and Rush's fanbase.

I am such a weirdo.

(Ok, I'm not really in the core fanbase for either one, but I can enjoy both.)

ShakeWell
09-28-2010, 11:39 PM
Holy shit, you guys, holy shit. I'm going to Riot Fest (http://riotfest.org/schedule/) in a week and a half (the 10/9 show at the Congress), and I just found out that Less Than Jake are going to play their best album (Losing Streak) from front to back. SQUEE!

Also, like seventeen other awesome punk, hardcore and ska bands are playing, including Anti-Flag, Snapcase, Pennywise and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, and it's going to be awesome and exhausting.

WOO!

shivam
09-29-2010, 01:53 AM
you know what was amazing? X Japan from the front row, that's fucking what.

taidan
09-29-2010, 06:33 AM
I went to see Rush for the third time.

This time was special though, because we got to take my g/f's father, who's been a fan for a good 30 years but never got to see them live. He had an absolute blast.

Voncaster
09-29-2010, 08:16 PM
I love live music, but I have cut back on my show going now that I'm older. Here are my favorites:

Pearl Jam - Unique set lists and a very low production value. Just a straight ahead rock band that give their all every time. Some writer described Pearl Jam as unironic arena rock. I would agree. My favorite band.

Rob Zombie A Rob Zombie show strikes me as an out of control party or horror themed fever dream. Rob bounces all over the stage while playing a show and does a good job of getting the crowd amped up. There is video showing hentai, exploitation flicks, horror and b-movie trash. Monsters come out and dance. The senses get overloaded and its great fun.

The Jayhawks - Another straight ahead rock band. The Jayhawks didn't strike me as anything special the first time I heard them. But repeated listens and shows revealed to me that they are expert song writers. They don't have many bad songs. A very solid, workman like band. They have great melodies and harmonies. I would recommend seeing the Jayhawks or Mark Olson & Gary Louris live if you get the chance.

Cloud Cult - A hippie rock band that sings about existential and spiritual themes. They are a real spectacle. The Cloud Cult have guitar, bass, drums, cello, violin, french horn and keyboards. Their music is made up of traditional and electronic sounds. They also have two painters as part of the band. The painters will paint a painting each show from scratch (in addition to singing harmonies). An awesome live experience.

Marilyn Manson, Tool and the Hold Steady are other great live bands.

ShakeWell
10-03-2010, 10:44 PM
I saw a band called Happy last night. They had two drummers. It was awesome.

ShakeWell
10-10-2010, 11:51 AM
I went to Riotfest in Chicago yesterday. It was eight hours of punk, hardcore and ska. It was totally awesome.

mablem8
10-10-2010, 02:58 PM
I've seen Video Games Live twice. That's about the extent of my concert experience. While the show is energetic, the audience is ultimately just sitting there. I hear there are some shows where the audience stands much of the time?

I did accompany a friend to a combination sermon/Christian concert his dad brought him to see in the former Trans World Dome way back when. We played Pokemon Red and Blue on the way there.

shivam
10-10-2010, 03:32 PM
i've never sat at a non-classical music concert. it doesn't make any kind of sense.

shivam
10-28-2010, 01:06 PM
So yesterday, SDMX, my wife and I went to see Boom Boom Satellites play at a tiny club called the Independent here in SF. There were maybe 100 people tops at the show, which was odd, since the last time i saw BBS, it was at summer sonic in tokyo, and there were 10,000 people.

The opening act was this amazing local instrumental trio that basically sounded like ladytron run through a commodore 64, called Good Luck at the Gun Fight (http://www.myspace.com/goodluckatthegunfight), and they were fantastic. Totally worth admission by themselves.

BBS got on stage, and i was front row. How front? if i leaned forward, i could have rested my arms on his guitar pedals. They're a techno/rock trio, and their drummer looked like the chick from Mirror's Edge, and played like a demon. It was a wall of sound, and blistering hot from the first song to the last. One of the best shows i've seen, and afterwards, the band shook hands with us in the front. Fucking fantastic gig.

mr_bungle700
10-28-2010, 06:44 PM
Boom Boom Satellites is the best they've ever been right now. I have no doubt that was a great show.

BEAT
10-28-2010, 09:04 PM
Random (http://megaran.com/) is coming to my town!

No way I'm missing that!

Kishi
11-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Der krossposten:

The Apples in Stereo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C66yhRwpt7s) were absolutely, mind-numbingly incredible last night. By the time they were through, my pelvis was ossified, and my brainpan was frothing over with endorphins. I felt as light as a feather but could barely stand up.

The opening act was Fol Chen, who also put on a great show, including a very pleasant surprise in the form of a cover of "Under Pressure (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3qVl8Gb2J4)."

mopinks
11-02-2010, 10:07 PM
everyone should go see Peelander Z (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2HYGDTORd8). everyone!! this was the wackiest live gig I've ever been a part of.

(I was actually there for TsuShiMaMiRe (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKv-12mHwU8), though. you should go see them too!!)

Kishi
11-02-2010, 10:16 PM
J was telling us about Peelander Z before the show started last night—specifically, he acted out this part of this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT0ZhOV6Bl8#t=2m22s).

Obviously, I cannot wait for a chance to see them.

BEAT
11-21-2010, 01:15 AM
So I saw Random Tonight! It was a whole lot of fun!

Krondor Krew (http://www.krondorkrew.com/) opened for him. They were a whole lot of fun too!

I may be dimly aware of the fact that my open enjoyment of this sort of thing is shameful, but that doesn't even come close to stopping me.

The Dread Cthulhu
11-21-2010, 01:18 PM
So last month I saw Brandon Flowers, he was very good. I'd only heard about half the album songs the day before, so that was a strange experience. "Na na na NA NA NA, NA NA NA, na n-LOVERS AND BROKEN HEARTS"

And earlier this week I saw Gorillaz. I was pretty much as far away from them as possible seated, which was a bad decision, but it was still a phenomenal concert. Noteworthy because Little Dragon and De La Soul were the warmups, and I realized they were De La Soul about the third time they went "WE ARE DE LA SOUl!" and after about the twentieth joke about how bad they were. We were that far away.

Also it turns out the crowd in Britain does not respond to De La Soul too well. "When we say HIGH we want y'all to say VIBRATION! HIGH!" "NO"

AJR
12-07-2010, 06:30 PM
I saw Gorillaz last night. Man, when De La Soul did that same High Vibration bit the crowd went crazy. They did an awesome job of getting people warmed up.

Fantastic show too. Just a whole lot of fun.

demonkoala
12-08-2010, 08:49 AM
I've always been curious about Gorillaz shows...

Just saw Blonde Redhead last week. Mainly played new songs which I didn't own (but I had heard it) so my girlfriend was a bit lost, but she got excited when they played Equus.

Bunch of crazy light bulbs (like those on the covers for Metric's Fantasies) and umbrellas and lights.

Kazu wore the crazy mask she has in the video for "Not Getting there."
The show was kind of like the video for "Here Somtimes."

Overall fun, trippy lights, glad I got there early and was super close!

demonkoala
04-29-2011, 12:33 AM
Man. Surely you guys have seen some live music in between my last post? (Even I have)

Just saw Anamanaguchi with Peelander-Z
First time I got to see a full set for Anamana, and I got to hear a bunch of songs I like, so I'm content.
Peelander show was crazy as always, and for their main three replacement, it got filled by members of Anamanaguchi and Octopus project. Madness. Pure madness. Every Peelander show I've seen is completely different but equally crazy.

My friends also said I won the mosh pit :cool:

Issun
05-14-2011, 02:11 AM
System of a Down put on a great show, as expected. The real surprise was the opener. If you ever get a chance to see Gogol Bordello live, do it. They are amazing.

demonkoala
05-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Saw Man man last week. I really love their recorded stuff, but I was completely surprised when I saw them live. I didn't expect that and didn't know what was going on, and it was music that I didn't know people would mosh to. I've never seen that venue get so crazy every before. Would need to see them live again to really understand that live experience.

System of a Down put on a great show, as expected. The real surprise was the opener. If you ever get a chance to see Gogol Bordello live, do it. They are amazing.
Gogol Bordello is all sorts of freakish amazing.

ajr82
05-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Seeing the Pixies in a full-on concert hall, playing all of Doolittle, plus the b-sides, and assorted other tracks, was the loudest thing I've ever experienced. Apparently the sound system in the symphony;s concert hall is pretty good, as are the acoustics!

Voncaster
07-31-2011, 08:14 PM
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd392/Voncaster/TalkingTime/cloudcult.jpg?t=1312165532

Cloud Cult
Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis, MN

If you have the opportunity to see Cloud Cult live, take it.

Shagohod
08-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Anymore I generally play more shows than I watch. Almost all the shows I go to are metal.

Good bands to see live:
Nile
Opeth
Cannibal Corpse
Slayer
Megadeth
Rush
GWAR is ok. I don't like their tunes so I couldn't get into them much. I like their style and panache though. Better when they are acting like space gods instead of doing hokey political humor.

Best live band: Rammstein. I have never seen them in person, but wish to hell I did. I have their whole library and even on the live dvds it is a whole experience. Especially Live Aus Berlin. The whole crowd knew every word to every song.

I saw Marilyn Manson at a live show a couple years ago and it wasn't good. He is too old to give his all and he had no real energy.

ShakeWell
12-26-2011, 10:32 PM
I saw Braid play their 600th show last week. It was with The Smoking Popes. It was fantastic, and Braid's encore was "The Chandelier Swing" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQdBQ9M_RbU) and "Milwaukee Sky Rocket." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPKfvcqCzzs)

demonkoala
08-25-2012, 03:38 PM
This appears to be in the wrong sub-forum.
Went to go see The Dirty Projectors with Wye Oak opening for them recently.
Never seen or heard of the latter till that day but I really enjoyed them and upon listening to recorded stuff, they were pretty sweet. Their audio setup was not the best though.
The projectors however sounded spot on amazing. I have seen them once before, briefly, about 3 years ago during sxsw and I was underwhelmed, but I love their new album and I thought I'd check it out. They harmonized mad well and I was really impressed. I recommend catching them at a venue near you!

Mint
08-27-2012, 09:23 AM
So far this year I've seen Grimes, Black Dice, Cults, and Retox. I have tickets to go see Animal Collective next month.

Wheels
10-03-2012, 10:14 AM
I love live music, but I have cut back on my show going now that I'm older. Here are my favorites:

Pearl Jam - Unique set lists and a very low production value. Just a straight ahead rock band that give their all every time. Some writer described Pearl Jam as unironic arena rock. I would agree. My favorite band.

Not only that, they also do official bootlegs so you can actually get a copy of the concert you went to.