PDA

View Full Version : kit kat densetsu gaiden

shivam
02-10-2010, 01:13 AM
So i checked the mail today and discovered that one of my good friends from japan had mailed me a care package. and inside? This motherfucker:
http://japanesekat.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/dsc07902.jpg?w=450&h=337

I have no idea what it tastes like, and i'm terrified to find out!

for the uninitiated, it says choco and mango pudding, a mystifying combination

Paul le Fou
02-10-2010, 01:30 AM
I am going to take a picture of my friend's wall and catalog its entirety, then I will post it in this thread.

You will all be terrified.

(the most exotic one I've had so far is roasted sweet potato)

redstuff
02-10-2010, 01:46 AM
Japanese kit kats are amazing. The strangest one I've had (which isn't so strange really) is strawberry shortcake. My favorite - probably just plain old strawberry. It pains me that I've yet to find any places selling Japanese snacks in Seoul, but it's not exactly like I've looked that hard so far.

mopinks
02-10-2010, 01:47 AM
I mentioned it in another thread, but I found these guys over the weekend:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/ranchuu/kitkatgingerale.jpg

A++ would buy again

Chu
02-10-2010, 02:29 AM
Hey, I had one of those mango ones not too long ago! In my opinion, it was too sweet for me. I think my favorite "strange" flavor of Kit Kat bar so far has been the Royal Milk Tea kind. I hear the roasted yam one is good, too, but I haven't tried it yet.

Paul le Fou
02-10-2010, 02:40 AM
Royal milk tea was good. Ginger ale was weird. It was... fizzy. Also, if you thought that was unusual, I also had ramune flavor. Yeah.

mr_bungle700
02-10-2010, 04:47 AM
Japan's Kit Kat technology terrifies me.

Abominable K
02-10-2010, 05:57 AM
Just looking at these things made me go out and buy boring American Kit-Kats. You guys are gonna be the death of my teeth!

Marfy
02-10-2010, 06:25 AM
The UK has mint and maybe orange Kit Kat flavors? I really want to try them, but dieting, etc, etc. Interestingly, they're sold as biscuits for dunking into coffee and tea.

Violentvixen
02-10-2010, 09:10 AM

Matchstick
02-10-2010, 09:53 AM
I was fascinated by the idea of Ginger Ale Kit Kats when mopinks first posted about them. Then Paul had to say that they were fizzy and now I'm very put out that I can't try them.

Paul le Fou
02-10-2010, 10:34 AM
I just had a maple kitkat. The only other flavors they have right now are boring old strawberry and royal milk tea.

Pombar
02-10-2010, 11:13 AM
The UK has mint and maybe orange Kit Kat flavors? I really want to try them, but dieting, etc, etc. Interestingly, they're sold as biscuits for dunking into coffee and tea.No, they're not. Those flavours do exist, they're about what you'd expect, but they're marketed as lunchbox snacks. I don't think I've ever heard of someone dunking a kitkat. We have Chocolate Digestives and Rich Tea for that!

Paul le Fou
02-10-2010, 11:22 AM
And Tim Tams. Well, those are Australian, but you're all Commonwealth. pfah.

Did you know that there are people who have heard of and indeed eaten Tim Tams without knowing about tim tam slams? i.e. bite off the corners, drink through it like a straw, then jam it all into your gaping, dripping craw at once?!

ArugulaZ
02-10-2010, 11:59 AM
No, they're not. Those flavours do exist, they're about what you'd expect, but they're marketed as lunchbox snacks. I don't think I've ever heard of someone dunking a kitkat. We have Chocolate Digestives and Rich Tea for that!

Chocolate... Digestives? Man, you Brits take the fun out of everything.

Sheana
02-10-2010, 02:10 PM
They're cookies! Calling them biscuits and digestives sucks all the fun out of dessert!

Kit Kats are one of my all-time favorite candy bars, so the insane and apparently endless list of flavors they've got goin' in Japan is fascinating.

Kirin
02-10-2010, 02:32 PM
I'm particularly intrigued by the Yuzu Kosho flavor KitKat chronicled in Jeremy's latest Bakespite article. Citrus and hot pepper in dark chocolate? Yes, please!

Marfy
02-10-2010, 04:10 PM
No, they're not. Those flavours do exist, they're about what you'd expect, but they're marketed as lunchbox snacks. I don't think I've ever heard of someone dunking a kitkat. We have Chocolate Digestives and Rich Tea for that!

Huh. I just noticed that they're usually in the digestives section of most supermarkets I patronize, so I assumed that's how they're marketed here. (Dark) chocolate digestives and rich tea biscuits are pretty damn awesome, though.

Comb Stranger
02-10-2010, 05:46 PM
The azn omnistore behind my apartment carries just about everything japanese (including natto), but sadly, only American KitKats.

bdazzld
02-17-2010, 03:08 PM
banana has by far been the best, and I can't find it anywhere. Green tea was only okay.

redstuff
02-17-2010, 03:51 PM
The azn omnistore behind my apartment carries just about everything japanese (including natto), but sadly, only American KitKats.

For some reason I've found it's pretty hard to find these in NA. Boston didn't have any and the stores I checked in NY only had regular chocolate. The Pacific Mall in Toronto had JP Kit Kats with different flavors though.

mopinks
02-19-2010, 10:22 PM
my girlfriend, off on a SAN JOSE ADVENTURE, discovered a tiny treasure trove of Japanese KitKats! I told her to buy 'em all.

she couldn't read the labels on most of them, so it'll be a fun surprise when she comes home with octopus flavored KitKats or whatever. (I will, of course, eat the octopus KitKats.)

liquid
02-20-2010, 03:26 AM
Dare I?! (http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/product/10204-kit-kat-ginger-ale)

Matchstick
02-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Dare I?! (http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/product/10204-kit-kat-ginger-ale)

I did. They just arrived last night. I haven't cracked it open to try it yet, though.

Ethan
02-20-2010, 09:44 AM
They're on eBay as well.

Silent Noise
02-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Why is American chocolate so boring?

Alixsar
02-20-2010, 01:17 PM

And yet, like a Lovecraftian cosmic horror, I find myself somehow drawn to it.

I mentioned it in another thread, but I found these guys over the weekend:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/ranchuu/kitkatgingerale.jpg

A++ would buy again

I mean, it's fucking GINGER ALE KIT KATS WHATTTT

mopinks
02-20-2010, 06:50 PM
THE KITKAT HAUL:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/ranchuu/ktkt.jpg
roasted sweet potato, kinako ohagi, milk coffee, and *~sparkling~* strawberry!

nothing too weird, but I am excited about eating all of them.

Matchstick
02-20-2010, 09:48 PM
I haven't cracked it open to try it yet, though.

Okay, I've just tried it. I like it. It's not something I'd have all the time, but it's a very interesting taste sensation.

estragon
02-20-2010, 11:19 PM
I just ate the valentine's day themes raspberry and passionfruit kit-kat. It was pretty good, although I think the raspberry flavor could have been more subtle. I wanted more chocolatey and less fruity.

The box has a space on the back to write a message to the boy you are in love with or whatever.

Gredlen
02-20-2010, 11:23 PM
That makes me curious: How does Valentine's Day work there, if you're gay?

estragon
02-20-2010, 11:39 PM
That makes me curious: How does Valentine's Day work there, if you're gay?

Theoretically it's where girls give boys candy, so . . . well, you basically just have to make something up based on what you feel like doing. There's not really a settled thing to do.

In general though, the biggest romantic evening full of sex holiday here is Christmas eve, and Valentine's day is more like an excuse for high school girls to tell boys "I like you."

So, the cultural equivalent to the American feeling of "single on Valentine's day" is actually more like "single on Christmas Eve," since a lot of Valentine's Day's emphasis is on confessing love, whereas Christmas eve is about doing it with whoever you're already dating (or just eating fried chicken, if you have a family).

Gredlen
02-20-2010, 11:52 PM
Yeah, I was wondering how the whole Valentine's Day/White Day thing would work out, but I guess I can't be surprised that there isn't really a consensus on that.

I'm really glad you brought up Christmas Eve fried chicken. I don't think there will ever be a time when I am not amused by that.

Kirin
02-21-2010, 08:24 AM
raspberry and passionfruit kit-kat

Oh god, that sounds amazingly wonderful.

mopinks
02-22-2010, 12:32 AM
FLAVOR VERDICTS:

kinako ohagi: pretty good! it mostly tastes like a regular kitkat, but with little bits of crunchy things in the chocolate and a weird (but nice!) azuki aftertaste.

sparkling strawberry: it's strawberry! not much to say about it, but it's tasty. my girlfriend liked it a whole lot.

milk coffee: good coffee flavor, but I think it's a little too sweet, even for a kitkat.

roasted sweet potato: I would buy 100 bags of these. they are amazing.

Wolfgang
02-22-2010, 01:02 AM
I couldn't even find cool Kit Kat in the Japan Center in Japantown in San Francisco, and if you're supposed to be able to get them in America anywhere you'd think that would be the place. Grmff. I would really like to try this weird alien stuff.

Kirin
02-22-2010, 07:24 AM
In my experience the shops in the SF Japan Center have a very weird assortment of stuff. Some import things are easy to find there, but others not so much.

Paul le Fou
02-23-2010, 04:41 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/AshfieldGray/kitkatwall.jpg

My friend's kit-kat wall.

From top, left-to-right, row by row
~Some sort of special Azuki (red bean) - triple berry - plain, special box - plain - caramel macchiato

~oshirute (??) - Muscat of Alexandria - Apple - daigaku imo (roasted sweet potato with honey and sesame seeds) - Hokkaido Azuki

~White - "Ajiwai" strawberry - White chocolate & lemon (obscured by flash) - special sakura design from the post office (double-size box) - Jasmine tea

~Cookies - Cookies (appears lighter than the other) - upper: caramel pudding; lower: custard pudding - small ones across the double sized box: white peach, yellow peach, lemon vinegar

~Strawberry cheesecake (tall box) - Hokkaido potato - Hokkaido roasted corn on the cob - cherry

~Shinshuu Apple - Espresso coffee - Matcha (green tea) - Apple vinegar

~Below Espresso coffee is Matcha tiramisu, below that is regular tiramisu, across the lightswitch is Blueberry Cheesecake (vertical) and Royal Milk Tea, next to that is Rose, below milk tea is Ume (a Japanese plum) Soda

~Grape - Caramel Pudding - Ramune (the blue below ume soda) - Ito En (a name brand of carrot & fruit juice) - dark (not Japanese - can't find dark kit kats in Japan...)

~Ichimi (a chili pepper) - Azuki Sandwich - Kinako Ohagi (kinako is a peanut-butter-like soybean powder, ohagi are rice ball sweets) - Upper: Mango pudding, lower: roasted sweet potato (yaki-imo)

~Strawberry Cheesecake - Sports Drink (ok seriously what the fuck) - bitter orange

~(from Below Sports Drink) Ginger Ale - Sparkling Strawberry - Milk Coffee - (on the edge) purple sweet potato from Okinawa

~Soy Sauce - Ginger Ale - Raspberry & passion fruit - same flavor diff. box - Maple

I've also found at least one Kinako Matcha, but it was in bar form and for some reason she refuses to count those ones so she didn't hang it up. No idea what other ones have fallen a similar fate. I've also had plain strawberry in addition to the other weird strawberry ones up there.

There are also a ton of locally-made flavors too. Like in Uji and Kyoto you can get Uji Tea flavor, in Kobe I've seen Kobe Pudding flavor, etc. See also the Hokkaido potato and corn boxes above. So the total number of kit-kat flavors would increase pretty dramatically based on that, as well.

Also, she had orange and mint, two flavors that Britain has pretty regularly. My friend offered me a mint one, and I actually boggled because after looking at that wall for so long and being in Japan, mint-flavored seriously sounded really exotic. Once I held it in my hand and smelled and tasted it I realized that mint chocolate is not strange or rare and had to take some time to reflect on my mistakes. (Mint is one of the flavors that Japanese people mysteriously hate (I blame Shiso) - it's very hard to find. It had really been a while. Root beer, by the way, is another such flavor. It is difficult to find root beer.)

Violentvixen
02-23-2010, 07:13 AM
Well, if I go to Japan I know where all my money is going.

bdazzld
02-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Well, if I go to Japan I know where all my money is going.

Seconded.

Sheana
02-23-2010, 07:12 PM
I am seriously in awe of the sheer amount of flavors in general, let alone crazy ones, there are. Seriously, Japan, what the hell. Since I love Kit Kats so much I am definitely keeping my eyes peeled next time I see a Japanese specialty place.

estragon
02-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Everyone is clear on how most of these are seasonal, limited time only things, right? So, if you walked into, say, a supermarket or convenience store, there will probably at most be two, sometimes three flavors: regular and whatever the current seasonal flavor is.

In other words, that wall demonstrates serious long term commitment to Kit Kat consumption.

shivam
02-23-2010, 07:38 PM
japanese people dont do anything half assed. if you decide you're gonna be into a thing, by god, you're into it.

Paul le Fou
02-23-2010, 09:17 PM
But she's English!

But yeah, at any given time you'll be able to find 2-3 of these in stores. Like right now you can find maple in big bags, white in bar form, and raspberry pasison fruit in regular boxes (also, plain). They probably eventually repeat at times (note the many variations on strawberry for various strawberry seasons) but in general they're here then they're gone.

mopinks
02-23-2010, 09:56 PM
those with access to crazy kitkats are the ones truly living in hell, for their prized confections are ever a hair's breadth away from oblivion.

Marfy
02-24-2010, 03:31 PM
I got a pack of Kit Kat Senses at Tesco today. Hazelnut flavored, apparently, but it's pretty light. They're still super tasty though.

Chu
02-25-2010, 02:25 AM
It's true! Roasted potato Kit Kats ARE delicious!

Tomm Guycot
02-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Through a twist of fate I just had a sweet potato-kat dropped in my lap.

I will confirm their deliciousness.

Paul le Fou
03-08-2010, 03:14 AM
Sakura matcha was pretty good! sparkling strawberry, not so much.

Chu
03-08-2010, 05:30 AM
I loved the raspberry & passionfruit ones a lot more than I thought I would.

Chu
03-09-2010, 01:17 AM
Sakura matcha was pretty good!
I agree!

Violentvixen
05-01-2010, 11:17 PM
A coworker of mine went to Japan recently and I told her about the Kit Kats beforehand. She decided to get me some as a gift and since they went all over Japan she returned with six varieties! We got custard (bleah), green tea (mmm), raspberry passion fruit (also in the V-day note box), ginger ale (okay) and banana (eh).

Evidently her brother in law went nuts for the banana ones. He cleaned out three stores!

Oh, and we found the sweet potato ones at a store in Portland. Those are dangerous.

Paul le Fou
11-15-2010, 03:48 AM
http://imgur.com/yMeR0l.jpg

Well, planet earth, humankind, we've had a good run. It's been a pleasure. See you on the other side, eh?

Other recent flavors: salty caramel, aloe yogurt (note: aloe is a common yogurt flavor), some kinako, chestnut, caramel pudding. You know, the usual.

Grignr
11-15-2010, 05:27 AM
I have not found any import Kit-Kats in the Orlando area. I guess the Vietnamese only go in for Glico/Meiji products. Not even anything at EPCOT's Japan pavillion.

Anyone found these in Central Florida?

Chu
11-15-2010, 07:02 AM
I just saw those cheese ones in a food blog I read. I am intrigued, but not enough to buy a whole box. That's the problem from prevented me from sampling the blueberry ones I kept seeing in my local grocery store.

I have tried "adult sweetness" (http://japanesesnackreviews.blogspot.com/2010/09/adult-sweetness-kitkat.html) ones, though. They're pretty good!

Tomm Guycot
11-15-2010, 07:13 AM
I would like to say salted caramel Kit Kats are amazing.

Paul le Fou
11-15-2010, 08:17 AM
I just saw those cheese ones in a food blog I read. I am intrigued, but not enough to buy a whole box. That's the problem from prevented me from sampling the blueberry ones I kept seeing in my local grocery store.

The cheese ones are only 200 yen for a box of ten little bite-sized ones. It's worth it just for the sheer fucking bewilderment of opening a candy bar and smelling cheese.

mopinks
11-15-2010, 09:12 AM
the Nijiya Market in City of Industry let me down - the only Kit Kats they had were the bitter almond (already tried it!), semisweet (snore), and 'adult sweetness'. not thrilling at all!! I would've bought the cheese ones in a heartbeat because cheese and chocolate are great together what are you even talking about

(not exactly KITKAT-related, but I apparently can't find my favorite milk tea anywhere because the FDA cracked down and won't let anyone import it anymore! THIS IS BULLSHIT, MAN)

Kirin
11-15-2010, 09:22 AM
I apparently can't find my favorite milk tea anywhere because the FDA cracked down and won't let anyone import it anymore! THIS IS BULLSHIT, MAN)

Whut. Was it unpasteurized or something?

mopinks
11-15-2010, 10:04 AM
something like that, I assume! the closest I've gotten to an actual explanation was 'something something because of the milk'.

fugu13
11-15-2010, 12:12 PM
Was it Afternoon Milk Tea? For some reason our local asian grocer in Bloomington stopped carrying that, geeze, nearly a year ago, I guess? And while it was available on our first and second trips to Uwajimaya, it wasn't available on our last one (though I'm pretty sure they just sold out, since, I saw the space for it).

I can't find anything obvious in a few searches about a milk tea-related restriction, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. I'd suspect a tariff change or price raise from the distributor over outright ban, though.

mopinks
11-15-2010, 04:10 PM
yeah, it was totally Afternoon Milk Tea. I've had two nice ladies at two different Nijiyas in two different cities tell me the same FDA story now. all I can do is trust the nice ladies!!

the last time I found a bottle (in Los Angeles, back in September) it was the limited edition cream puff flavor and I chugged about a hundred of 'em. this is a painful loss!

Parish
11-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Oh my gaaaawwwwd new season new flavors

I need that fromage flavor badly. Time to go hunting!

Grignr
11-15-2010, 04:31 PM
You probably didn't want to drink melamine (http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/PublicHealthFocus/ucm179005.htm)anyway.

mopinks
11-15-2010, 04:43 PM
my Dutch friend is so mad that he can't get White Rabbit candy anymore. melamiiiiiine!!

Red Hedgehog
11-15-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm upset that the great Japanese food store near me (Sunrise Market) doesn't have any import kit-kats. In fact, their import candy selection is probably their worst part.

Parish
11-15-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm upset that the great Japanese food store near me (Sunrise Market) doesn't have any import kit-kats. In fact, their import candy selection is probably their worst part.

Wait, is that the one near St. Mark's? Dammit, I'm going to be in NYC next week and I was specifically planning to swing by there to hunt for rad candy.

Red Hedgehog
11-15-2010, 09:29 PM
Wait, is that the one near St. Mark's? Dammit, I'm going to be in NYC next week and I was specifically planning to swing by there to hunt for rad candy.

It is indeed. Their candy selection is small and not that appealing to me. But maybe you'll find something there? I usually just get things like curry, fish, eggplants, pickled stuff, shaved bonito, etc.

bdazzld
11-16-2010, 08:59 PM
I would like to say salted caramel Kit Kats are amazing.

when did you have that and why didn't I get to try it :-(

Daikaiju
11-20-2010, 02:05 PM
I saw Blueberry Kit Kats at Nekocon, but had to get the Giant Pocky for my mom.
Moms before noms.

fugu13
11-23-2010, 08:30 PM
I am happy to report that at least one store is managing to import Afternoon Milk Tea. Uwajimaya has refilled their stock, as we were happy to take advantage of when shopping for things like quail and chicken livers earlier today.

Comb Stranger
11-30-2010, 02:39 PM
when did you have that and why didn't I get to try it :-(

I love that you post just enough to catch his confectionary infidelity.

MCBanjoMike
11-30-2010, 02:57 PM
I was in Japan last week, but the seasonal Kit Kat selection was pretty disappointing. Petit Cheese was OK (and has a hilarious name), but the only easily-obtainable special flavor was, I think, dark chocolate. That's hardly special at all! Did manage to find a sweet potato Kit Kat chunky, which was nice, but overall it was much less exciting than last year.

Chu
11-30-2010, 06:34 PM
I bought a bag of brown sugar and kinako kit kats the other day and had high hopes. Unfortunately they tasted overwhelmingly of molasses, and that combined with the chocolate was just weird. I don't think I'll be eating any more of them.

Queen Possum
12-03-2010, 11:41 PM
So I only just found out about this whole Japanese Kit Kat thing. I am going to scour the Hong Kong Market/Super H Mart/the entire city of Chamblee post haste to try and find some because strawberry Kit Kat oh mah gaw.

mopinks
12-28-2010, 03:26 PM
scored a big bag of royal milk tea kitkats during my holiday trip to my homeland, and finally found actual milk tea in stores again! d o u b l e s c o r e!

also grabbed a box of the cheese-flavored kitkats online while I was ordering some christmas presents for my girlfriend and I'd have to classify them as pretty darn good.

sraymonds
05-30-2011, 12:24 AM
My brain can't justify 17 bucks for 8 mini bars of the green tea kit kats but my heart says to go for it. I'm so conflicted.

Parish
05-30-2011, 08:59 AM
My brain can't justify 17 bucks for 8 mini bars of the green tea kit kats but my heart says to go for it. I'm so conflicted.

Don't do it. They're not that good, not at all. Now, a bag of yuzu kosho Kit-Kats, on the other hand....

sraymonds
05-31-2011, 01:02 PM
I ordered two packages of the cheese Kit Kats. Might as well start somewhere.

SlimJimm
06-01-2011, 06:28 AM
Im sad that even living on base in Okinawa I have yet to find any crazy kit kat flavors.

Paul le Fou
06-02-2011, 07:40 AM
Man I couldn't get into the yuzu kosho, despite that being a flavor (in general) that I love.

Right now they're having an earthquake relief kit kat run, the zunda flavor, a sweet from up by Tohoku. 10 yen of each sale goes to relief funds. If that seems piddling, it is, but I guess it's the thought that counts???

Parish
06-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Man I couldn't get into the yuzu kosho, despite that being a flavor (in general) that I love.
Please send me your uneaten yuzu kosho bars thanks

sraymonds
06-02-2011, 01:26 PM
My cheese kit kat order was cancelled. :mad:

Paul le Fou
06-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Please send me your uneaten yuzu kosho bars thanks

Un?fortunately they're only available down in Kyushu. I only got to try them because my friend happened to go there for a week!

Actually, new flavors seem to have slowed to a crawl around here or stopped coming out entirely. At least, they have near us. My friend and I haven't seen anything new in the stores for many months besides this charity drive one that just came out.

Meditative_Zebra
06-14-2011, 04:24 PM
So a family friend recently visited Japan and I wound up with a small bounty of Kit Kats. But since I know nothing about deciphering these foreign hieroglyphs I thought someone here might be able to tell me what flavors these are.

http://i.imgur.com/nTlgX.jpg

Chu
06-14-2011, 04:44 PM
The green ones are green tea (matcha) and the orange ones are roasted green tea.

Meditative_Zebra
06-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Thanks!

Chu
06-15-2011, 03:20 AM
No problem! So how are they? I've had matcha ones before, but the best I've ever had were a combination of green tea and sakura.

Meditative_Zebra
06-17-2011, 09:35 AM
The matcha ones are quite good. The roasted green tea ones aren't quite as good, but are still quite an interesting taste. I'm going to save the last few that I have for a special occasion.

sraymonds
09-28-2011, 11:20 AM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/lsrsera/316552_10150464083286038_511636037_11075838_182253 2974_n.jpg

nom nom nom

shivam
02-09-2012, 05:34 PM
http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2012/02/02/how-did-kit-kat-became-king-of-candy-in-japan/?iref=obnetwork

CNN covers the japanese kit kat phenomenon.