PDA

View Full Version : Baboo Season 2: Idle Thumbs is back!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Calorie Mate
02-12-2010, 01:11 PM
I think this very much deserves its own thread. I'm so freakin' happy about this.

R.R. Bigman
02-12-2010, 01:19 PM
I remember people talking about that podcast. Who's in it?

pence
02-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Chris Remo, editor at large at Gamasutra
Jake Rodkin, community coordinator at Telltale Games
Steve Gaynor, designer at 2K Marin

Formerly:
Nick Breckon, community manager at Bethesda, former editor at Shacknews

I have no idea what it'd be like for someone going in fresh. I started listening around episode 10 and I was fine, but there are a lot of weird in-jokes related to wizaaaaards and bird noises and VIDEO GAMES! If you liked GFW Radio it really, really does pick up that torch and carry it forward into a world of bizarre Nintendo patents and playing Far Cry 2 in new and interesting ways. Plus whenever they talk about DOS gaming it makes me happy.

Zef
02-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Idle Thumbs is back!

http://www.the-weaving.com/images/temp/reneloco.gif

Yaaaaayyyy!

I have no idea what it'd be like for someone going in fresh. I started listening around episode 10 and I was fine, but there are a lot of weird in-jokes related to wizaaaaards and bird noises and VIDEO GAMES!

I came in late and then listened to earlier (but not so early) episodes, and even though I didn't understand where the running gags came from, I understood they were gags and I laughed along all the same :)

It says something about the show when I'll skip 1up YoursFour Guys 1up when they talk about stuff I know nothing about, like PC games (and, I'm sad to say, I skipped that ATB about Avernum too) but I never skipped a single Idle Thumbs ever since I subscribed, and I still plan to listen to previous episodes.

WIZAAA-AAAARD

Calorie Mate
02-12-2010, 01:30 PM
I have no idea what it'd be like for someone going in fresh. I started listening around episode 10 and I was fine, but there are a lot of weird in-jokes related to wizaaaaards and bird noises and VIDEO GAMES! If you liked GFW Radio it really, really does pick up that torch and carry it forward into a world of bizarre Nintendo patents and playing Far Cry 2 in new and interesting ways. Plus whenever they talk about DOS gaming it makes me happy.

I mean, I know they had at least a couple of "in jokes" going when I started, but it isn't like you'd be lost in a conversation - within one podcast, you'd understand why these weird guys are talking about wizards and puffins all the time. And, honestly, most of their recurring jokes don't stem from something - it was just as random the first time.

Anyway, it's a great podcast and everyone should listen to it.

Reinforcements
02-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Chris Remo, editor at large at Gamasutra
Jake "Video Games" Rodkin, community coordinator at Telltale Games
Steve "Hot Scoops" Gaynor, designer at 2K Marin
Fixed.

I am so freakin' excited about this guys. Baboo.

Gredlen
02-12-2010, 01:53 PM
I started from the beginning and by the time I caught up, it was over. I don't have any regrets because even though the previous episodes were full of old news, the discussion was almost always interesting/insightful/funny.

This time, though, I'm excited to be riding that horsebag from day one. I've got a long bus ride to look forward to tonight, so I'm saving this episode for that.

ajr82
02-12-2010, 02:04 PM
I only ever listened to a few of the old Idle Thumbs casts, but I'll give this a try. I really liked the episode I listened to where they talked about "Old Man Clancy's HAWWWWWW".

pence
02-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Ya gotta use the kid character to kill the snake.

They did make a good point: making a game out of Up where you inexplicably wander around slaying snakes is very strange

MCBanjoMike
02-12-2010, 03:04 PM
I wish I had this at work, because I would be listening to it right now.

Also, for anyone who is interested in the podcast but doesn't know where to start, I would highly recommend episode 13 of the original run, "Manipulated Through Time". It's hilarious and it doesn't really matter that it's a year old. In fact, most of the time the actual "news" is pretty secondary to the hilarity and the great conversations about game design.

It's so awesome that they're back.

pence
02-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Wow, queued up episode 13 and that's definitely the first episode I heard.

So there you have it, you can be just like me!

onimaruxlr
02-12-2010, 03:53 PM
spoilers: they acknoledge that it was GFW that created the bird noise

Posaune
02-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Yessss, now I can stop saving the last few podcasts of theirs that I have sitting on my iPod.

Gredlen
02-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Ya gotta use the kid character to kill the snake.

They did make a good point: making a game out of Up where you inexplicably wander around slaying snakes is very strange

No joke, I've had "Ya gotta use the kid to kill the snake" stuck in my head all day, for no apparent reason.

Except, of course, because video games.

Stiv
02-12-2010, 08:06 PM
The return of video games! I'm so excited for my drive to Seattle this weekend because it means that I'm going to get to listen to KIDL 98.7 "THE WIZARD" again.

I missed this cast (and blast) so bad.

Reinforcements
02-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Wow, queued up episode 13 and that's definitely the first episode I heard.

So there you have it, you can be just like me!
I think that's actually the only episode I don't like, because they spend like a half hour unfairly (in my opinion) dumping on Prince of Persia. And praising Tomb Raider Underworld which I then BOUGHT and it SUCKS.

Anyway, video games.

Adrenaline
02-13-2010, 08:03 AM
I didn't actually notice how much I missed this podcast until it came back.

reibeatall
02-13-2010, 11:41 AM
My favorite part was the "Two Hot Scoops" e-mail. I almost crashed my car while driving at that part.

Bird noises.
Wizarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd.
Horse bag.

Calorie Mate
02-13-2010, 12:58 PM
The return of video games! I'm so excited for my drive to Seattle this weekend because it means that I'm going to get to listen to KIDL 98.7 "THE WIZARD" again.

I missed this cast (and blast) so bad.

It's killing me, but I have a 5+ hour drive to Oregon on Tuesday, and I'm holding off until then. I can't freakin' wait.

cool onion
02-14-2010, 10:06 AM
the first episode i listened to was citizen killzone.

you can't give citizen kane a 7
everybody knows, just ask roger ebert
he would tell you that's a disgrace
citizen kane gets two thumbs up
and therefore so does killzone 2

teekun
02-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Holy crap it's back?!?

This is the best news.

Honestly, if someone was listening to this for the very first time, I'd say listen to episode 5 first, just so you can get the Wizard references out of the way, then check any of the others out. They're pretty much all fantastic.

Coinspinner
02-15-2010, 08:33 AM
Dwarf Fortress Talk for way to work and then Idle Thumbs for the way home. I so happy. It is a good Monday!

Edit: Yes, episode 5 and 13 are good listening that will help you make sense of the random in-jokes.

R.R. Bigman
02-15-2010, 11:52 AM
I listened to the latest episode last night, now I feel like a terrible person for being so late to the party. Of the back episodes, what are some of the best?

Calorie Mate
02-15-2010, 11:54 AM
All of them.

Gredlen
02-15-2010, 12:23 PM
I'd recommend at least listening to all the episodes with songs. The songs are listed on the main page, with the corresponding episode numbers, so it's easy to find those. Then, maybe the last 10 or so episodes. If you still want more after that, I'd just go chronologically. You could probably safely skip the podblasts, though.

MCBanjoMike
02-15-2010, 01:06 PM
I'd recommend at least listening to all the episodes with songs. The songs are listed on the main page, with the corresponding episode numbers, so it's easy to find those. Then, maybe the last 10 or so episodes. If you still want more after that, I'd just go chronologically. You could probably safely skip the podblasts, though.

YOU CANNOT SKIP THE "WITH JOE PESCI" PODBLAST. That has to be one of the funniest things those guys ever recorded.

Willm
02-15-2010, 01:08 PM
YOU CANNOT SKIP THE "WITH JOE PESCI" PODBLAST. That has to be one of the funniest things those guys ever recorded.

Truth.

Also, this weekend kind of sucked, but this news alone makes me feel pretty happy.

Meg
02-15-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm so happy they're back. You know, if it wasn't for Idle Thumbs, I would have never played Space Asshole. I loved the mocking of Heavy Rain even if I'm still going to try and play it seriously (the first time, anyway).

Gredlen
02-15-2010, 10:17 PM
This is what I ate today:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z317/Gredlen/Forum%20Stuff/Photos/0215101156-00-1.jpg

sraymonds
02-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Detective Cartahr Blake?

CARTAH BLAKE?

The-Bavis
02-16-2010, 10:23 AM
This is what I ate today:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z317/Gredlen/Forum%20Stuff/Photos/0215101156-00-1.jpg

I like what you're getting at there, but I also like the phrase, "Hunky Salsa!"

pence
02-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Detective Cartahr Blake?

CARTAH BLAKE?

My Heavy Rain demo experience was enhanced (some might say ruined gloriously) by constantly rewinding the canned animations. Watching the PI remove and replace his inhaler for a minute was surprisingly amusing. Maybe I should have let the nervous FBI detective trip and fall on his face while traversing the muddy hill, too.

Thank you, Idle Thumbs!

teekun
02-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Shame this isn't going to be a regular, weekly thing. Such a great episode, and it only served to remind me how much I love Idle Thumbs.

Lieutenant Cahtah Blake?

Adrenaline
02-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Irregularly scheduled Idle Thumbs is far better than no Idle Thumbs at all.

dwolfe
02-16-2010, 05:33 PM
For new listeners, going to their website and downloading all the Chris Remo songs is also a good way to get a feel for their humour.

estragon
02-16-2010, 06:26 PM
I just listened to this, and it was the best 4 guys talking podcast ever. I then downloaded the first 5 episodes for future use.

benjibot
02-16-2010, 06:33 PM
I listened to this podcast. I liked it!

teekun
02-16-2010, 08:15 PM
I just listened to this, and it was the best 4 guys talking podcast ever. I then downloaded the first 5 episodes for future use.

But there's only three!

estragon
02-16-2010, 08:19 PM
But there's only three!

Is this a joke that I don't get?

Because there's a lot more old stuff. In the first episode they talk about Mega Man 9 and Fallout 3.

AJR
02-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Itís a three person podcast silly.

Adrenaline
02-16-2010, 08:24 PM
There's only three guys talking.

Hey AJR what's the big idea

AJR
02-16-2010, 08:27 PM
I made that post purely to upstage you. Thatís just how I roll.

estragon
02-16-2010, 09:06 PM
Itís a three person podcast silly.

Well, sure, but the genre of the podcast is "4 guys talking." The actual number of guys is irrelevant. It's a bit outdated, like "doom clone," but it gets the point across.

teekun
02-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Well, sure, but the genre of the podcast is "4 guys talking." The actual number of guys is irrelevant. It's a bit outdated, like "doom clone," but it gets the point across.

Wow, I had no idea there was such a genre.

Merus
02-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Considering how quiet Jake "Video Games" Rodkin gets, often it's 2 guys talking, 1 guy interjecting.

estragon
02-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Wow, I had no idea there was such a genre.

There's a glut of them.

teekun
02-16-2010, 09:20 PM
There's a glut of them.

yeah I guess I didn't know there was an agreed name for it. I just group podcasts into "those ones where people talk" and "those ones where music gets played"

dwolfe
02-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Considering how quiet Jake "Video Games" Rodkin gets, often it's 2 guys talking, 1 guy interjecting.

As in 'inserting useful commentary'? Hell yeah!

Calorie Mate
02-17-2010, 12:46 AM
Somewhere around the time they were talking about GFW - which I'd been re-listening to earlier today - I had the biggest grin on my face ever and I realized that that was probably the happiest any single podcast will ever make me. It's all downhill from here, baby.

That's what makes it great.

benjibot
02-18-2010, 02:31 PM
I just noticed: someone in my apartment building has a wireless network named "Baboo!"

The-Bavis
02-18-2010, 03:00 PM
I just noticed: someone in my apartment building has a wireless network named "Baboo!"

You mean your new best friend?

pence
02-18-2010, 03:12 PM
If it's a WPA2 network, see if you can get in using a passphrase like 'hotscoops' or 'video_gaaaaaaaaaaaames'

Mr. Sensible
02-18-2010, 04:41 PM
The System Shock 2 discussion made me really happy. That game is still pretty playable and the sound design is amazing. It's good to know I can still count on Idle Thumbs for my ten-year-old PC game coverage. No, seriously!

I just realized the first episode of the original IT podcast went up on my birthday. More excellent podcasts should pay me tribute in this manner.

But when he does talk, it's usually hilarious or insightful. Remo needed to rein in his diatribes a bit on the old podcast, and it seemed like the talking ratios were more evenly distributed in this episode.

Stiv
02-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Two Hot Scoops is no Nick Breedon, but I'm glad this cast is back. It's just about the only thing that could have made me interested in the Heavy Rain demo.

Reinforcements
02-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Even more hot scoops over at Idle Thumbs!

I'm glad this "new" podcast is continuing promptly. I can certainly live with a bi-weekly schedule.

estragon
02-24-2010, 06:07 PM
I'm on episode 8 or so of the original Idle Thumbs, and I still love it.

In related news, I've spent a good portion of the past weeking bursting into laughter that probably makes me look like a crazy person in public situations (supermarket, bus stop, etc.).

Peach
03-03-2010, 04:03 PM
It's Christmas in March!

cool onion
03-15-2010, 05:01 PM
there's a new GDC conf grenade out, which reminds me that "conf grenade" is probably my favorite thing ever said.

sraymonds
03-15-2010, 05:12 PM
I want hear these guys talk about Deadly Premonition.

Calorie Mate
03-15-2010, 05:24 PM
You should send them a suggestion to do so at questions@idlethumbs.net .

Calorie Mate
03-30-2010, 02:23 PM
So they talked about beards on the latest episode. That, and the Deadly Premonition thing at the end of the Conf Grenade, has me falling in love all over again.

You're the best, Idle Thumbs.

R.R. Bigman
03-30-2010, 06:19 PM
They talk about Deadly Premonition in that one?

I knew I shouldn't have skipped it.

Reinforcements
03-30-2010, 08:37 PM
I got to meet Boost and Video Games at PAX this weekend! They're super cool and friendly and a good time was had by all.

Calorie Mate
03-31-2010, 10:40 AM
They talk about Deadly Premonition in that one?

I knew I shouldn't have skipped it.

Not really, they whistle the theme at the end of an episode and joke about it for 10 seconds. It was still pretty awesome, though!

...why the hell would you skip one?

I got to meet Boost and Video Games at PAX this weekend! They're super cool and friendly and a good time was had by all.

So jealous. Man, I live near them, I should just go, like, hang out. That would probably be creepy, huh?

MCBanjoMike
03-31-2010, 12:37 PM
...why the hell would you skip one?

Calorie Mate
03-31-2010, 12:50 PM
So I looked up Big Dog last night.

Oh sweet Jesus, it was more terrifying than I thought it would be.

Merus
03-31-2010, 03:47 PM
One of the things that really makes Idle Thumbs work (apart from how funny it is) is that they're all frequently playing the most interesting games, and they're generally pretty good at explaining why they're interesting. Most podcasts tend to draw from the same small reference pool.

Calorie Mate
03-31-2010, 04:19 PM
Agreed. GFW was kind of the same thing - they weren't always talking about the biggest games, but could be entertaining and interesting no matter what (perhaps moreso because of it). I also think the sheer volume of Chris Remo's gaming diet goes a long way.

Merus
03-31-2010, 04:21 PM
I feel like the PC platform is much more amenable to talking about really oddball experiments and interesting ideas than the consoles, and all three are PC gamers from way back.

Calorie Mate
03-31-2010, 04:32 PM
Definitely.

MCBanjoMike
03-31-2010, 05:28 PM
So I looked up Big Dog last night.

My friend works at the company that makes Big Dog - he even showed it to me one time! - so I sent him a link to the 'cast. Hopefully, he'll find it funny.

AJR
03-31-2010, 05:45 PM
I've spent the past ten minutes looking at big dog videos. That thing is unsettling to watch, but totally awesome. Itís hilarious just how spot on the parody video is too.

Calorie Mate
04-01-2010, 11:03 AM
It's that noise it makes more than anything. It's...unnerving.

ajr82
04-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Listening back over some of the old casts, I really think the Suckbox 360 email from Episode 37 was funnier than any of the emails Shawn Elliott ever read for heroes of the Web on GFW.

"Suckbox! SUCKBOX! CRAPBOX!"

Merus
04-02-2010, 11:29 AM
The Suckbox email was amazing, but it's when they start talking in unison that it really elevates itself.

Gredlen
04-13-2010, 08:51 PM
So, anyone who listened to the recent episode will remember Chris mentioning an interview with Jerry Bruckheimer. That went up on Gamasutra today. (http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27965/Interview_Jerry_Bruckheimer_on_Game_Development_Pr ince_of_Persia_Why_Movie_Games_Fail.php) Here is the best part:

There's generally a bit of a stigma against video game movies. Why do you think that game adaptations have traditionally been less critically successful than, say, book adaptations?

Jerry Bruckheimer: It's hard to say. It depends on who's involved with it and the approach they took. I had a journalist come in before you and ask the same question. He thought for a second and said, "Well, I don't think it's any harder than taking a theme park ride and turning that into a movie." He meant Pirates of the Caribbean.

R.R. Bigman
04-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Speaking of that episode, It seems the talk of "The Last Express" film (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178800) was right on the money.

"I would consume his train...based adventure."

Adrenaline
04-14-2010, 06:58 AM
So, anyone who listened to the recent episode will remember Chris mentioning an interview with Jerry Bruckheimer. That went up on Gamasutra today. (http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27965/Interview_Jerry_Bruckheimer_on_Game_Development_Pr ince_of_Persia_Why_Movie_Games_Fail.php) Here is the best part:

I fail to see what's remarkable about that at all.

estragon
04-14-2010, 07:05 AM
I fail to see what's remarkable about that at all.

The way he described it in the podcast was really funny. I was that crazy guy laughing out loud to myself while walking down the street during that section of the show. But it doesn't come across as all that funny the way he wrote the article.

Calorie Mate
04-14-2010, 10:04 AM
Speaking of that episode, It seems the talk of "The Last Express" film (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178800) was right on the money.

"I would consume his train...based adventure."

Ever since they first mentioned it, I've wanted to play that, but I have yet to get serious about it. Hmph.

Stiv
04-14-2010, 11:02 AM
I was that crazy guy laughing out loud to myself while walking down the street during that section of the show.

Did you get beat up?

Gredlen
04-14-2010, 12:00 PM
The way he described it in the podcast was really funny. I was that crazy guy laughing out loud to myself while walking down the street during that section of the show. But it doesn't come across as all that funny the way he wrote the article.

Yeah, the only reason it's funny in the article is because, after having listened to the podcast, you get a glimpse into what his thought process must've been like while writing that part.

Gredlen
04-18-2010, 12:19 PM
So for anyone who likes the game design discussions on (The) Idle Thumbs (Podcast), Steve Gaynor's blog (http://www.fullbright.blogspot.com/) is really great for that kind of stuff. He has links to the stuff that he (or other people) found most noteworthy on the site, under "The Immersion series" and "Highlighted Articles," but I found some of his other posts well worth reading as well (like his critique on Haunting Ground (http://fullbright.blogspot.com/2008/06/critique-haunting-ground.html)), so it's totally worth flipping through the archive for stuff that looks interesting*.

But that's not what I came here to say. This is:
Heh heh heh har harrrl rah heh heh huh HAH HAH HAHA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBxgAmdPQWg)

*magical

teekun
04-18-2010, 06:53 PM
One of the things that really makes Idle Thumbs work (apart from how funny it is) is that they're all frequently playing the most interesting games, and they're generally pretty good at explaining why they're interesting. Most podcasts tend to draw from the same small reference pool.

I think the other thing that's important here is that they base the podcasts around these games they're interested and not whatevers hot in the press at any given moment. I mean, I know the Farcry 2 thing is a big joke by now, but it's a great example of this. They were talking about what they thought was great about that game a year after its release, because they wanted to. Any other "game news" podcast wouldn't have bothered because they'd think it wasn't relevant anymore.

estragon
04-18-2010, 08:19 PM
Am I the only one who listened to the newest episode and wishes that they'd permanently replace Gaynor with Famous?

Gaynor is a nice guy and all with interesting things to say, but I think Famous is a much better fit for Remo and Rodkins' style.

Merus
04-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Am I the only one who listened to the newest episode and wishes that they'd permanently replace Gaynor with Famous?

Gaynor is a nice guy and all with interesting things to say, but I think Famous is a much better fit for Remo and Rodkins' style.
You're not, although I'd hate to lose Scoops because he always has something interesting magical to say, and I appreciate the thought-provoking more than the funny.

Mr. Sensible
04-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Hopefully Boost and Video Games can work out a more regular Scoops-Famous rotation schedule.

I love this podcast.

Calorie Mate
04-19-2010, 12:54 PM

I love Scoops - like Merus said, he's got a lot of, er, magical stuff to say - but I like Famous a lot, too. I want both.

ajr82
04-19-2010, 01:03 PM
I love Scoops - like Merus said, he's got a lot of, er, magical stuff to say - but I like Famous a lot, too. I want both.

Maybe, say, a weekly podcast that has Scoops one week and Famous the next? This is the best solution, and they should implement it immediately.

Peach
04-19-2010, 05:36 PM
I submit that JP Lebreton was the best guest the show ever had.

While I love this brave new Scoops-filled world plenty, the podcast was a bit more meaty in the Breckon era, simply because there were two people that played games for a living, rather than making them.

Boost does seem to play enough games for two people though, I guess. I don't know how he does it.

sraymonds
04-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Famous's enthusiasm for Red Dead Redemption is infectious!

Wait, it was Famous that was all moanin over what Remo was saying, right?

AJR
04-19-2010, 07:07 PM
That was Famous.

Calorie Mate
05-04-2010, 11:55 AM
It's totally bullshit when they put out an episode that isn't at least an hour and a half.

But hey, they talked at length about Life is Beautiful, so I can't complain.

Merus
05-04-2010, 12:12 PM
So according to the Idle Thumbs website, there may be a fifth castmember of Idle Thumbs in the near future.

Calorie Mate
05-04-2010, 12:18 PM
...whaaaaat?

Merus
05-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Sorry, it was actually Chris Remo's Twitter. See if you can pick out who's new. (http://www.chrisremo.com/crap/theidlethumbspodcast_lifeisbeautiful.mp3)

Peach
05-04-2010, 01:06 PM
A lady voice? On my Idle Thumbs?

Are you sure it's not just someone's girlfriend? I know Steve's talked about his in the past.

That was gold (gamegoldgoldgame), by the way.

ajr82
05-04-2010, 01:46 PM
A lady voice? On my Idle Thumbs?

Are you sure it's not just someone's girlfriend? I know Steve's talked about his in the past.

That was gold (gamegoldgoldgame), by the way.

Sure, but was it jeffgold gameblast coolgame, though?

MCBanjoMike
05-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Sure, but was it jeffgold gameblast coolgame, though?

[bee noises]

onimaruxlr
05-04-2010, 06:39 PM
is that Leigh Alexander???

She does work at Gamasutra with Boost, but...doesn't she live in New York?

Merus
05-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Apparently her name is Whitney Hills, she's a developer, and she's going to be a guest at some point. She might be Steve's girlfriend, but I doubt it; apparently she just moved to San Francisco.

Calorie Mate
06-12-2010, 12:48 PM
So did I get you excited by bumping up this thread? Well, too bad! I just wanted to say it's balls that this podcast has been on hiatus for so long. :(

MCBanjoMike
06-12-2010, 12:54 PM
So did I get you excited by bumping up this thread? Well, too bad! I just wanted to say it's balls that this podcast has been on hiatus for so long. :(

Man, we'd better get an E3 podblast or something soon. I'm dying, here!

Calorie Mate
06-12-2010, 01:11 PM
OH MAN I JUST LOOKED IT UP

Chris Remo's twitter from 12 hours ago: "Just Thumbed it up with @ja2ke @fullbright and @seanovanaman. Look for it Monday."

Woooooooo

Ostrich
06-12-2010, 03:25 PM
This is the best news since sliced baboo!

I will be watching my iGoogle page like a hawk on Monday.

Gredlen
06-14-2010, 02:12 AM
The new episode's up.

I haven't listened to it yet, but I think the news that Telltale's working on a Jurassic Park game makes Sean "Famous" Vanaman's Jeff Goldblum laugh from earlier episodes amazing. It was right there, all this time.

MCBanjoMike
06-14-2010, 06:04 AM
I haven't listened to it yet, but I think the news that Telltale's working on a Jurassic Park game makes Sean "Famous" Vanaman's Jeff Goldblum laugh from earlier episodes amazing. It was right there, all this time.

My god, all this time I thought it was just part of their obsession with all things Jeff Goldblum, when in fact it was actually a hidden, coded message!

Clever girl.

Calorie Mate
06-14-2010, 02:45 PM
I've only listened to half of it so far, but it's wonderful. They talk about e3 a little bit, but not much, which was nice.

The new episode's up.

Whaaaaaaaaat.

Stiv
06-14-2010, 04:04 PM
This cast makes me want to play Neptune's Pride so bad, you guys.

And Hearts of Iron 3. Fuck Nick.

MCBanjoMike
06-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Man, I listened to the first half of this cast today and it's one of the best ones they've done in a long time. I think they should keep recording as a foursome, the part where they had Castro as a CIA agent had me dying.

sraymonds
06-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Sean "Famous" "Bandanaman" Vanaman is wonderful.

This cast makes me want to play Neptune's Pride so bad, you guys.]

I'll try it if there are others that want to play.

Mr. Sensible
07-02-2010, 01:16 AM
God damn you guys I want a new episode right now. I'm listening to old random episodes, I'm jonesing so bad. Also catching up on backed-up Giant Bombcasts, but that's not really thread-appropriate, I guess.

Where is the baboo when we need it the most

Ostrich
07-02-2010, 06:29 AM
Sean "Famous" "Bandanaman" Vanaman is wonderful.

I kept hoping they would throw "Cool Hand" in there as well. I want his nickname to just get more and more ridiculous every time he is on the podcast.

Also, is it appropriate to post a link to someone else's formspring page? Either way, Chris Remo has one and his answers are an interesting read. I believe a link to it can probably be found somewhere on his twitter page if anyone is interested.

Reinforcements
07-14-2010, 08:27 AM
I was all ready to say something MEAN to Chris Remo via TWITTER for posting a thing to the Idle Thumbs podcast that wasn't a podcast... but it was an apology for no podcasts so I guess that's okay.

Also he said probably a new podcast this week! Hooray! Also they'll have a panel at PAX which is cool for some people I GUESS.

Adrenaline
07-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Also he said probably a new podcast this week! Hooray! Also they'll have a panel at PAX which is cool for some people I GUESS.

I'm sure they'll record it and put it online like everyone else.

Calorie Mate
07-14-2010, 11:26 AM
I was all ready to say something MEAN to Chris Remo via TWITTER for posting a thing to the Idle Thumbs podcast that wasn't a podcast... but it was an apology for no podcasts so I guess that's okay.

It's almost as annoying as seeing this thread pop up without a new episode to talk about!

Reinforcements
07-14-2010, 11:49 AM
It's almost as annoying as seeing this thread pop up without a new episode to talk about!
Mwa ha ha ha!

Gredlen
07-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Nick's going to be at the PAX panel.

Fuck Nick.

Calorie Mate
07-14-2010, 02:41 PM
It's weird to me that they have enough listeners to justify a panel.

reibeatall
07-14-2010, 02:42 PM
It's weird to me that they have enough listeners to justify a panel.

I know for certain that I'm gonna be there!

Calorie Mate
07-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Dude, get me a shirt or something. Maybe a lock of Jake's hair. Anything.

reibeatall
07-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Dude, get me a shirt or something. Maybe a lock of Jake's hair. Anything.

I should wear a Big Bird costume.

Calorie Mate
07-14-2010, 02:49 PM
I will give you $50 if you do that.

reibeatall
07-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Does that include costume rental?

Calorie Mate
07-14-2010, 03:13 PM
I will give you $50 after you wear a Big Bird costume to the IdleThumbs PAX thing. Whatever you want to put it towards is your own business, chief.

ajr82
07-15-2010, 08:08 AM
Hell, I'd be willing to chip in for that.

Reinforcements
07-15-2010, 08:37 AM
Better plan: spend the whole convention in a Big Bird costume and tell everyone you're cosplaying as Jake Rodkin.

MCBanjoMike
07-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Better plan: spend the whole convention in a Big Bird costume and tell everyone you're cosplaying as Jake Rodkin.

Any time anyone addresses you, simply respond "and I'm Jake Rodkin".

ajr82
07-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Any time anyone addresses you, simply respond "and I'm Jake Rodkin".

If they ask a follow up, you just answer "video games".

Reinforcements
07-16-2010, 05:46 AM
Video gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaames!

Stiv
07-16-2010, 12:35 PM
There is actually a store in town called "Video Game Wizard." I'm not sure how to feel about that.

Gredlen
07-16-2010, 12:43 PM
New episode today.

Video games.

Calorie Mate
07-16-2010, 01:07 PM
I hate that I'm at work right now.

ajr82
07-16-2010, 02:05 PM
There is actually a store in town called "Video Game Wizard." I'm not sure how to feel about that.

I'd feel like I need to take a picture of it and send it to them/post it on their forums.

Stiv
07-16-2010, 02:16 PM
I'd feel like I need to take a picture of it and send it to them/post it on their forums.

I've actually already used twitter to send idle thumbs a picture of the word 'WIZARD' scrawled above the urinal in the karaoke bar I go to.

But Video Game Wizard is even better. Everyone loves wizards.

Calorie Mate
07-16-2010, 04:48 PM
I hate that I'm at work right now.

Oh man I used the power of my space phone to listen to half of it. Hooray!

reibeatall
07-16-2010, 04:56 PM
Oh man I used the power of my space phone to listen to half of it. Hooray!

Ohh god you're right I can do this too. YESSSSSSSSSS

reibeatall
07-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Guys, what was that three word compound word they were talking about? I can't remember it and I don't remember where it was in the cast.

ajr82
07-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Guys, what was that three word compound word they were talking about? I can't remember it and I don't remember where it was in the cast.

I think it was "plainclothesman"

cool onion
07-20-2010, 12:50 AM
i re-listened to Jeff "Gone" Goldblum today and i can't figure out whether "you breed raptors?" turning into "Brad Rapstars" is funnier than "Jeffgold Gamegold Cool Coolgame" is funnier than Jake trying to say "he's the director of great stuff" is funnier than the Batman Begins trading card is funnier than the hyper-realistic firefighter game letter is funnier than the RE5 co-op partner story but holy crap that is the best episode of any podcast ever recorded.

ajr82
07-20-2010, 08:57 AM
i re-listened to Jeff "Gone" Goldblum today and i can't figure out whether "you breed raptors?" turning into "Brad Rapstars" is funnier than "Jeffgold Gamegold Cool Coolgame" is funnier than Jake trying to say "he's the director of great stuff" is funnier than the Batman Begins trading card is funnier than the hyper-realistic firefighter game letter is funnier than the RE5 co-op partner story but holy crap that is the best episode of any podcast ever recorded.

I was just re-listening to that one this morning as well! I don't know that I've ever heard them laugh as much as they did at "Dr. Jackstraw, the abnormal drug trafficker".

Calorie Mate
07-20-2010, 10:08 AM
I laughed at that part because Nich sent me that years before that episode aired. My gmail status from time to time is still Doctor Jackstraw, so I giggled like an idiot then.

But yeah, that probably is the best episode.

Adrenaline
07-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Oh thank god, it's only the 14th.

It's February!

MAX IDES

reibeatall
07-20-2010, 10:31 AM

The time in the Jeff Goldblum story where he says "Hey, we can steal Jeff Goldblum's shoes" almost killed me.

I was driving to Louisana with Morgan. She was sleeping and I was listening. As soon as he said that line, I started laughing so hard I swerved into oncoming traffic. She woke up and was upset.

Calorie Mate
07-20-2010, 10:47 AM
I forget if it was that episode or the last episode with Nick, but when they talked about running up to Jeff Goldblum and asking him to do the Jeff gold gold Jeff gold thing it slayed me.

R.R. Bigman
07-20-2010, 01:25 PM

Which episode is this?

cool onion
07-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Episode 43.

Phat
07-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Episode 43 - Jeff "GoneGoldGameGoldBlastCoolCool" Gamegold

Posaune
07-20-2010, 09:58 PM
I like the one where Jake goes on a rant about how doing anything on a PC is like blowing your brains out. Also, when they play that old "Video Games" song when Jake pipes in with the low "my" during the part of the song that goes like "play play play play play (my) video games". Is that from Lord of the Donks? Any nerd-os out there know?

cool onion
07-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Oh hey, a new episode of The Idle Thumbs Podcast on idlethumbs.net. I haven't listened to it but it does have Sean Vanaman which makes me happy. I'm glad he's becoming something of a regular, he fits really well.

Mr. Sensible
07-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Too bad Bandanaman says like three words in this episode. Is Sean becoming the new Nick Breckon?

cool onion
07-31-2010, 01:14 PM
If you want a reason to post a frown smiley, do like I did, and listen to the new Idle Thumbs!

Because seriously, :(

Calorie Mate
07-31-2010, 01:15 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

http://vrzhu.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451901a69e2010536515d33970b-800wi

http://inspectorgadget.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/despair.jpg

http://images.aperturefirst.org/20071201225445_20071120105720_20071120-0093-despair.jpg

R.R. Bigman
07-31-2010, 01:18 PM
What happened!? Are they quitting again? Did Famous die? Tell me what happened!

cool onion
07-31-2010, 01:33 PM
Chris gets job, Moving!!, Thumbs dead, child weep.....thumbs.....

onimaruxlr
07-31-2010, 02:37 PM
this proves my long standing theory that hot scoops the only non-evil member of the thumbs

Calorie Mate
07-31-2010, 03:24 PM
I'll never say the W-word ever again. NEVER FORGET

Calorie Mate
07-31-2010, 04:26 PM
Actually, this pretty much perfectly describes how I feel. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7NzBTRzCkg) (Just, uh, replace "Saruman" with "Chris Remo".)

ajr82
07-31-2010, 04:47 PM
This news ruined my long weekend for real.

Mr. Sensible
08-01-2010, 12:55 AM
Well, shit!

This might be a good time to expand my podcast horizons.

uphc
08-01-2010, 05:58 AM
Well, as they say on the Idle Thumbs forums, "Fuck Nick."

Now's the time to start leaving bourbon-fueled messages on 55-WHY-A-REMO asking, in the voice of Mario, "Why-a, Remo, Why-a?"

Now I'll just have to make a followup to my WarioWare DIY title ("Puffins: Let's Roll", in which you find the alpha puffin to provoke the whole improbability into attacking the CS Sunglasses terrorist before he can blow up DE_DUST), and I'm thinking now that it will be an unwinnable game: Countdown to Tears, in which you click the refresh button in your RSS reader over and over, and never get a new episode of The Idle Thumbs Podcast.

Source of "an improbability of puffins" (http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/241/_/Tufted_Puffin.aspx)

Totally unrelated, but Paul F. Tompkins just launched the Pod F. Tompkast.

Calorie Mate
08-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Well, shit!

There aren't any good ones out there. Lordy, how I have tried, but the sad truth is this was the last truly great one.

Besides, I'm not sure I can open my heart up to anyone ever again...

reibeatall
08-01-2010, 12:12 PM
There aren't any good ones out there. Lordy, how I have tried, but the sad truth is this was the last truly great one.

Besides, I'm not sure I can open my heart up to anyone ever again...

Idle Thumbs was the best, but I have found that The Giant Bombcast helps fill the GFW Radio and now Idle Thumbs shaped hole in my heart.

Calorie Mate
08-01-2010, 12:20 PM
It doesn't. Giant Bomb is good for summing up the week's news, but when it comes to really insightful talks mixed with craziness, it falls horribly short.

Mr. Sensible
08-01-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm still holding out hope for the Jake Rod-cast.

cool onion
08-01-2010, 03:14 PM
It doesn't. Giant Bomb is good for summing up the week's news, but when it comes to really insightful talks mixed with craziness, it falls horribly short.

Yeah. I love the Giant Bombcast (either it or the Irrational ones will probably be my favorites once Idle Thumbs is done), but it isn't as funny and has a very conventional base of interests and reference points. The Idle Thumbs approach of comparing everything to stuff like Far Cry 2 and The Last Express resonates with me much more than Giant Bomb's seemingly weekly "Guy A: [briefly describes third-person cover shooter] Guy B: So, it's Gears of War?" and "Guy A: [briefly describes sequel] Guy B: So, it's [name of series]?" Not that Giant Bomb and other podcasts don't have moments of insight and humor, but Idle Thumbs is the only podcast I know of that could fixate on a game of the stature and general perceived quality of a game like Far Cry 2 so much and use it as a reference from which to make so many good points, or talk about some weird/cool PC game and actually identify something cool or interesting about it and refer back to it in the future instead of going "hey I played weird/cool PC game" and describing it real quick and then never mentioning it again. There's just a way the Thumbs guy approach gaming that I really appreciate, and no podcast comes close to matching it.

Also, seriously, nobody else could pull off Jeffgold Gameblast Goldgame Coolgold.

Phat
08-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Totally unrelated, but Paul F. Tompkins just launched the Pod F. Tompkast.
WHERE IS IT

I CAN'T FIND IT

PT
08-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Yeah, the Bombcast isn't going to replace Thumbs for anyone in the context of video game discussion. I think the Bombcast works mostly as an entertainment podcast these days, as the game discussion/insight is basically zero at this point. It's a place for dorky nonsense and silly memes.

Nobody on the main staff (with the exception of Vinny, and he's often shouted down) likes anything but braindead shooters. Brad has StarCraft II, but it's almost hilarious(ly sad) to watch everyone else slowly back away claiming they suck at it and/or have no time to learn the game's mechanics. (On that note...seriously Jeff, stop being a pussy and finish Mega Man 9.) I also have no idea why they even pretend to like more mainstream console WRPGs when they won't give the time of day to anything else remotely complex.

I also think Giant Bomb has one of the stupidest online communities out there, as they are strictly sheep to the site's content. Don't talk about JRPGs or anything remotely complicated or they'll reply that it's boring. It was depressing to see feedback that Bombcast listeners were actually BORED about all the arcade talk the last two podcasts (concerning California Extreme and the later acquisition of machines). It was fascinating/funny to hear all the adventures of finding arcade owners, haggling them and discussing how to maintain working machines. It was the closest thing to Thumbs that the Bombcast has ever done.

Stiv
08-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Man. I haven't listened to the two latest episodes yet.

Talk about spoilers. How can I bring myself to let Idle Thumbs break my heart... again?

Gredlen
08-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Yeah, the Bombcast isn't going to replace Thumbs for anyone in the context of video game discussion. I think the Bombcast works mostly as an entertainment podcast these days, as the game discussion/insight is basically zero at this point. It's a place for dorky nonsense and silly memes.

I'm not going to say the Bombcast is in any way a replacement for Idle Thumbs, but calling them out on silly memes is ridiculous. They almost never make references to jokes from previous episodes, which, although funny, was a huge part of the humor in the first run of Idle Thumbs episodes. I definitely don't find nearly as much insight in the Bombcast, but saying game discussion is "zero" is utter nonsense.

Nobody on the main staff (with the exception of Vinny, and he's often shouted down) likes anything but braindead shooters. Brad has StarCraft II, but it's almost hilarious(ly sad) to watch everyone else slowly back away claiming they suck at it and/or have no time to learn the game's mechanics. (On that note...seriously Jeff, stop being a pussy and finish Mega Man 9.) I also have no idea why they even pretend to like more mainstream console WRPGs when they won't give the time of day to anything else remotely complex.

Uh, what? Is "braindead shooters" code for "everything except JRPGs"? Because I can't think of any other way in which your statement could be right. Most of the staff, as you already mentioned, loves arcade games. Jeff loves fighting games, Brad loves a lot of the bigger indie releases on XBLA and PSN (Limbo, Braid, flower, etc.), they've all played a lot of the TellTale games, most of them played a bunch of Dragon Age, Fable II, Mass Effect, and Fallout 3, and they very, very nearly made Batman: Arkham Asylum their game of the year.

Working backwards on their reviews list, there's DeathSpank (which Brad liked, even if Jeff was lukewarm on it), Hydro Thunder: Hurricane, Puzzle Quest 2, Sin & Punishment: Star Successor, RISK: Factions, ModNation Racers, Blur, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Picross 3D, Heavy Rain, etc.

Adrenaline
08-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Uh, what? Is "braindead shooters" code for "everything except JRPGs"?

Yes, we're on Talking Time.

I like the Bombcast a lot, it's the best weekly news podcast on the Internet. But Idle Thumbs was definitely something above and beyond that.

onimaruxlr
08-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Jeff Gerstmann only likes games with arcade origins and stuff that is really weird (Persona, 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand). He doesn't like anything else, from open world games, to JRPGs, to sports games, to ANYTHING ELSE. That motherfucker don't like ANYTHING, least of all helicopters.

It's part of why I like him. Makes him kind of useless as a meter by which to judge my potential enjoyment for a game, but his opinions are well thought out and interesting. And unlike Chris "Podcast Sinker" Remo and Nick "I hate casting pods" Breckin, GERSTMANN AND BOMBCAST SOLDIER ON

Mr. Sensible
08-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Jeff Gerstmann [...] It's part of why I like him.

Well, that and the fact he does the best funny voices on the show (i.e., reading Wii and DSi Shop press releases).

Merus
08-03-2010, 05:48 AM
Why did Idle Thumbs have to do an incredible episode and then announce they were wrapping it up? Bastards!

Calorie Mate
08-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Ah, so Remo was snatched up by Irrational Games. Just like Shawn Elliot, the last time a podcast broke my heart.

A few thoughts:

- I think I hate Irrational Games more than anything.

- I really want to know what the hell Ken Levine is doing now.

- ...maybe he's making a game about podcasting!

- God damn, that company should be able to make the best podcast there is now.

Gredlen
08-06-2010, 04:27 PM
My brain literally cannot handle the thought of Chris Remo and Shawn Elliot being on the same podcast.

Calorie Mate
08-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Look, I think Irrational should just hire the rest of Idle Thumbs and the old GFW crew and produce two podcasts. I'd pay for 'em.

reibeatall
08-06-2010, 04:33 PM
My brain literally cannot handle the thought of Chris Remo and Shawn Elliot being on the same podcast.

It's gonna happen. It has to happen.

onimaruxlr
08-06-2010, 04:34 PM
God damn, that company should be able to make the best podcast there is now.

Their podcast that Shawn Elliott produces is pretty good, if a bit sporadic. Definitely less patting-ourselves-on-the-back than most official game company podcasts I've listened to.

That being said, Irrational's new game now has to be good enough to justify a lack of Shawn Elliott podcasting AND the (second) death of Idle Thumbs. Never before have the odds been stacked so high against a developer.
:mad:

estragon
08-09-2010, 03:00 PM
New Idle Thumbs today!

reibeatall
08-09-2010, 03:04 PM
New Idle Thumbs today!

Like a knife in my heart.

estragon
08-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Like a knife in my heart.

Well, sure, but it's better to stick it and twist it in than to just watch it sit there on the countertop.

Reinforcements
08-09-2010, 04:09 PM
This is already a really good one too, and I'm only 45 minutes in.

Calorie Mate
08-09-2010, 05:25 PM
This is already a really good one too, and I'm only 30 minutes in.

reibeatall
08-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Guys

Idle Thumbs and Retronauts are on at the same time during PAX.

Adrenaline
08-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Go to Idle Thumbs, obviously.

reibeatall
08-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Go to Idle Thumbs, obviously.

That's sorta what I'm leaning towards.

Calorie Mate
08-13-2010, 04:20 PM
"Leaning towards"? This doesn't even seem like a debate to me.

onimaruxlr
08-13-2010, 04:31 PM
The possibly Final Idle Thumbs vs the annual Retronauts Pax thing? come onnnnnn

Stiv
08-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Idle Thumbs and Retronauts are on at the same time during PAX.

A kind and loving god would not make a man choose.

reibeatall
08-14-2010, 09:56 AM
A kind and loving god would not make a man choose.

This is why I'm a born-again atheist at this very moment.

Merus
08-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Man, what a great episode. There's really no other podcast that manages to do super-insightful and super-funny all at the same time. There will be a void.

I've been thinking a lot about the stuff they talk about at the end, about dialogue systems and the absence of certain themes, so it was nice to see some great discussion about it in this and the previous episode.

ajr82
08-26-2010, 07:54 PM
The last regular cast is now available.

Brer
08-27-2010, 09:26 PM
It saddens me that Idle Thumbs is over now, especially since it was basically my replacement PC-heavy podcast for GFW Podcast and its various progeny. In Idle Thumbs Alumni news, Nick Breckon is doing a podcast for Bethesda now, and the first episode of that (http://download.zenimax.com/bethblog/podcast/TheBethesdaPodcast_01.mp3) is up.

I'm sort of hoping that there will be a new podcast (or casts) from the other thumbs.

Peach
08-27-2010, 11:53 PM
It was a pretty alright send-off, though the end-of-episode material was a bit less nostalgic, and more scatological, than Ep. 50's. Between this episode and the GDC Conf' Grenade, though, I can't help but raise an eyebrow whenever they bring up Mel Gibson when they're talking about Aztecs.

ajr82
08-28-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm sort of hoping that there will be a new podcast (or casts) from the other thumbs.

I think the internet has pretty much told Chris Remo and Shawn Elliott that they need to do a podcast together, so I'm hopeful that might happen. I'd be willing to chip in to buy Scoops, Video Games and Famous some recording equipment so they can do a new podcast too.

cool onion
09-02-2010, 04:28 PM
i keep hoping if i never listen to the last non-PAX Idle Thumbs it never really ends and Chris will have more time to change his mind even though he's already moved to Boston. it isn't working.

reibeatall
09-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Let it be known that Weinhandler (http://www.amazon.com/Weinhandler-Wine-Cellar-Sellers-Card/dp/B001EPT3XK) is best played with Boost, Video Games, Famous, and I'm Nick Breckon.

Guys I played it with them.

Calorie Mate
09-06-2010, 12:21 PM
That...that's an actual game?

Also, extreme jealousy right here.

reibeatall
09-06-2010, 04:11 PM
That...that's an actual game?

Also, extreme jealousy right here.

I want to try and get to PAX East so we can heidle our vines again. Bredon asked me about a rematch.

Stiv
09-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Bredon asked me about a rematch.

It's not a true rematch unless I'm on his team again.

reibeatall
09-06-2010, 11:15 PM
It's not a true rematch unless I'm on his team again.

Team Jake featuring Not Steve and also The Spaff will take the challenge!

Of course I'm speaking for all three of us.

Calorie Mate
09-08-2010, 02:29 PM
I just listened to the PAX episode. Idle Thumbs is officially finished. :(

Ostrich
09-09-2010, 12:47 AM
I think I'm going to put off this last cast for a while, because I'm not quite ready to end one of the greatest podcasts I've ever listened to. I know it'll have to happen eventually, but in the meantime I need to find myself some new podcasts! I can't rely on the Geekbox and Retronauts alone!

ajr82
09-09-2010, 09:00 AM
I can't rely on...Retronauts alone!

Umm, yeah, about that....

Ostrich
09-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Umm, yeah, about that....

Are you referring to the infrequent updates? I know new episodes are few and far between, but it's still one of my favorite podcasts and one of the few RSS feeds I pay attention to on my iGoogle page. Or are the Retronauts ending, too? I haven't heard any news of that, but if it's true... :(

I think finding a new podcast will be easy enough because there are thousands out there, but the hard part is finding one that will make me want to keep coming back time and time again. Bonus points if they can make me want to go back and listen to past episodes from their archive multiple times, like Idle Thumbs did. I have a few of their episodes burned on some mp3 CDs I use in my car, and whenever I can find them it's still a great time popping them in and listening to the episode once more.

ajr82
09-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Or are the Retronauts ending, too? I haven't heard any news of that, but if it's true... :(

Here's Parish's post (http://www.gamespite.net/verbalspew/archives/entry_1664.php) from the front page, and here's (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=1826) the Retronauts thread, where it's being discussed.

Calorie Mate
09-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Man, you're going to make the Ostrich kill himself, ajr.

Ostrich
09-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Well how about that. It's strange how this piece of news has eluded me for so long, but there it is! It's down to the Geekbox, then!

...they're not ending too, are they?

Adrenaline
09-10-2010, 07:55 PM
No, but unfortunately it's a bad podcast.

Ostrich
09-10-2010, 10:02 PM
No, but unfortunately it's a bad podcast.

Which is why I'm so sad. :(

I've never thought of it as bad, but I do see where you coming from. It's one of the few podcasts I've grown accustomed to listening to though, and there's nothing I can really say to justify that other than agree that I need to find new listening material.

Adrenaline
09-10-2010, 10:38 PM
I don't know, I haven't listened in a while. I just remember thinking "Cool, a podcast about nerds discussing stuff I like", and then never agreeing with them on stuff.

Posaune
09-10-2010, 10:55 PM
I don't know, I haven't listened in a while. I just remember thinking "Cool, a podcast about nerds discussing stuff I like", and then never agreeing with them on stuff.

Haha, that's kind of how I feel about it, too.

Every 3 or 4 months I'll check and look if they have a guest or someone that I want to listen to and then download it. But usually it is stuff that I don't geek out about, find too geeky, or just disagree with. In the end it's just not for me.. Oh well!

Ostrich
09-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Haha, that's kind of how I feel about it, too.

Every 3 or 4 months I'll check and look if they have a guest or someone that I want to listen to and then download it. But usually it is stuff that I don't geek out about, find too geeky, or just disagree with. In the end it's just not for me.. Oh well!

Now that I think about it, I think this describes my feelings pretty well, too. I was listening to them somewhat consistently while there was still Lost discussion to be had (which wasn't long for me because I had only gotten into the series a month before the finale), but after that had passed I had no reason to listen to them save for a few times here and there. I think I ended up downloading this/last weeks episode because they put "Lost: New Man in Charge" in the show notes.

pence
09-10-2010, 11:51 PM
Jeff Green was on the Geekbox recently, so there's that. In fact, you can download pretty much any gaming podcast from the last few weeks and get a dose of Jeff Green, if you so desire; he's making the rounds.

Calorie Mate
09-23-2010, 11:20 PM
You guys should check out this video interview Giant Bomb did with Ken Levine (http://www.giantbomb.com/we-talk-to-ken-levine-about-bioshock-infinite/17-3261/), just because there's...a familiar face sitting next to Ken Levine the whole time. It's stupid that he doesn't say anything, though.

DANoWAR
09-24-2010, 01:15 AM
You guys should check out this video interview Giant Bomb did with Ken Levine (http://www.giantbomb.com/we-talk-to-ken-levine-about-bioshock-infinite/17-3261/), just because there's...a familiar face sitting next to Ken Levine the whole time. It's stupid that he doesn't say anything, though.

He doesn't look very comfortable. Did he ever go on camera before?

Adrenaline
09-24-2010, 07:40 AM
Would you go on camera with a head like that?

Merus
09-24-2010, 09:55 AM
He's been at Irrational for a month, he's totally in the "man I'm the new guy" phase.

Also, Ken Levine keeps reminding me of Ben Stiller with a beard.

Reinforcements
10-07-2010, 07:43 AM
Hey guys, Boost Remo is in a podcast with Ken Levine and Kieron Gillen! Check it out. (http://irrationalgames.com/insider/irrational-interviews-episode-3/)

AJR
10-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Ken Levine!

Kieron Gillen!

CASTING A POD WITH CHRIS REMO?

Aww yeah.

Calorie Mate
10-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Hey guys, Boost Remo is in a podcast with Ken Levine and Kieron Gillen! Check it out. (http://irrationalgames.com/insider/irrational-interviews-episode-3/)

But Shawn Elliot works there too! WHY ISN'T BOOST PODCASTING WITH SHAWN!?

Ostrich
10-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Is it worth checking out even if I don't play any Irrational games?

Aw, heck with it, the fact that Boost is in it already makes it worth checking out!

AJR
10-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Well, the last two interviews have been with comic book writers, so I donít think you have to know a lot. But honestly, even if you donít like Irrationalís games, I think pretty much every podcast theyíve made so far has been fantastic.

Adam
10-07-2010, 09:42 PM
I'm about halfway through the Kieron Gillen episode, and I'd like to warn others before going in that this isn't an interview with Kieron so much as it is a conversation between the three that repeatedly returns to "how this relates to Irrational's New Game Bioshock Infinite Which We're Working On Right Now."

I'm not saying it's a bad pod. It's interesting to hear how Levine approaches games and the way it has a conversation with Gillen's work in comics, but there have been a few awkwardly ham-handed moments where the conversation is steered straight into Bioshock when it didn't necessarily have to.

Merus
10-07-2010, 10:55 PM
I'm about halfway through the Kieron Gillen episode, and I'd like to warn others before going in that this isn't an interview with Kieron so much as it is a conversation between the three that repeatedly returns to "how this relates to Irrational's New Game Bioshock Infinite Which We're Working On Right Now."

I'm not saying it's a bad pod. It's interesting to hear how Levine approaches games and the way it has a conversation with Gillen's work in comics, but there have been a few awkwardly ham-handed moments where the conversation is steered straight into Bioshock when it didn't necessarily have to.
So how does awkwardly steering the conversation relate to Bioshock?

Ostrich
10-08-2010, 01:41 AM
Well, the last two interviews have been with comic book writers, so I donít think you have to know a lot. But honestly, even if you donít like Irrationalís games, I think pretty much every podcast theyíve made so far has been fantastic.

It's not that I don't like them, it's just that I haven't played that far into any of their games to claim to be a fan quite yet. I think I could definitely listen to some Bioshock talk, though!

cool onion
11-12-2010, 04:24 PM
I don't know if this merits a thread bump or even a post really but Steve Gaynor is moving to Boston to work at Irrational. Now if someone would just point out that they need a Senior Big Bird Doppleganger, video game podcasts could be good again....

Maybe one day....

Calorie Mate
11-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Damn it, I wanted to be the one to bump with this news and give everyone a heart attack!

But yeah, good for him, he deserves to be on the "A" team. And yes, he now lives near and works with Boost Remo, so here's hopin'...

Merus
11-12-2010, 05:03 PM
This is Irrational Thumbs Episode 1, and I'm Chris Remo;
I'm Steve Gaynor;
and I'm Ken Levine.

(Shaun Elliot would be good in a pinch, too.)

Calorie Mate
11-12-2010, 05:08 PM
But I'm imagining that intro starting out in Videogame's voice! :(

Ostrich
11-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Now if someone would just point out that they need a Senior Big Bird Doppleganger, video game podcasts could be good again....

Maybe one day....

What we really need to do is cook up an evil plan where we physically relocate the entire Telltale Games office building to Boston using some kind of building moving device (I'm thinking Superman).

That way Video Games and Famous will have no choice but to move to Boston, and the Idle Thumbs Podcast will return once again! How could this plan possibly fail?

Calorie Mate
11-22-2010, 06:52 PM
You guys should definitely check out this Giant Bomb Quick Look about Poker Night at the Inventory. (http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ex-poker-night-at-the-inventory/17-3526/)

Adrenaline
11-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Yeah, Telltale is Idle Thumbs West and now Irrational is Idle Thumbs East.

And Bethesda is Idle Thumbs: Breckon.

Posaune
11-23-2010, 12:20 AM
Fuck Nick.

Calorie Mate
11-23-2010, 10:21 AM
All I know is, this pretty much proves I'll listen to any of them talk about anything.

Reinforcements
03-05-2011, 06:52 AM
GUYS.

YOU GUYS.

THERE'S A NEW CONF GRENADE OUT!

!!!

cool onion
03-05-2011, 08:28 AM
I didn't see that post before making my post in the other thread but I'm glad we both agreed independently that "!!!" was the correct response.

Mr. Sensible
03-05-2011, 12:16 PM
I'm downloading this as soon as I get home.

LONG LIVE THE THUMBS

Calorie Mate
03-05-2011, 12:32 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Serephine
03-05-2011, 09:10 PM
GUYS.

YOU GUYS.

THERE'S A NEW CONF GRENADE OUT!

!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I AM SO GLAD I DID NOT REMOVE THAT FEED FROM ITUNES!

Mr. Sensible
03-06-2011, 10:32 PM
There was also a bonus Boost Remo guest appearance on the first GDC Bombcast (http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast/?podcast_id=215) last week. Listen closely to catch an off-mike shout from Video Games Rodkin!

liquid
03-07-2011, 05:58 AM
Finally, I get to hear what the Idle Thumbs crew thinks of all the sweet new games, such as Far Cry 2.

Calorie Mate
03-07-2011, 09:06 AM
There was also a bonus Boost Remo guest appearance on the first GDC Bombcast (http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast/?podcast_id=215) last week. Listen closely to catch an off-mike shout from Video Games Rodkin!

If this is Part 1 of their massive Bombcast, then Remo sings Space Asshole at some point, and then Videogames Rodkin and Famous Vanaman join the podcast for the second half. It's great stuff.

I don't want to be one of "those" guys, but hearing all these journalists together really highlights why I like Chris Remo so much. The observations he makes, the type of stuff he tried out, etc. were very different (in a good way).

Karzac
03-07-2011, 09:16 AM
So I'm still making my way through the archives (I'm on episode 10 I think). Should I listen to this new one now, or wait until I'm caught up (which will be in a long, long time)?

Reinforcements
03-07-2011, 10:14 AM
So I'm still making my way through the archives (I'm on episode 10 I think). Should I listen to this new one now, or wait until I'm caught up (which will be in a long, long time)?
You could listen to it now if you really want to hear some GDC 2011 impressions and talks about upcoming games like Nidhogg and B.U.T.T.O.N. Otherwise you might as well just go in order.

Serephine
03-07-2011, 10:32 AM
You could listen to it now if you really want to hear some GDC 2011 impressions and talks about upcoming games like Nidhogg and B.U.T.T.O.N. Otherwise you might as well just go in order.

Agreed. They do a good job of not devolving into in jokes for the GDC podcast, so if you really want to hear GDC stuff listen to it, but you might not have as high appreciation for what they have to say without knowing their positions.

To go along with what Calorie said, the reason people are such big damn fans of the show is that they mix exceptional insight into the making of games as well as really understanding what it is about video games that makes them an Important art form with completely inane ridiculously hilarious bullshit between friends. There's so much more to the show than WIZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD, baboo, puffins, and horsebags, and all of those things are basically shorthand for the internet fellatio I just gave the show.

Mr. Sensible
03-07-2011, 11:25 AM
If this is Part 1 of their massive Bombcast, then Remo sings Space Asshole at some point, and then Videogames Rodkin and Famous Vanaman join the podcast for the second half. It's great stuff.

Guess I should listen to the second half of that episode, then!

ajr82
03-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Chrome demons are the new puffins.

cool onion
03-10-2011, 10:05 AM
GUYS.

YOU GUYS.

THERE'S A ANOTHER NEW CONF GRENADE OUT!

!!!