PDA

View Full Version : Musicians unite!

Crazy Larry
08-24-2007, 03:04 PM
So, anyone else here play any instruments (for the record, no, playing Guitar Hero doesn't make you a musician)? I've been playing bass for close to eight years now. Unfortunately, I don't have the skills to show for all that time I put into it. Probably comes from never playing in a band. I also picked up a guitar last Christmas and have been tooling away at it. I predict that in about twenty years I'll have the skills to make my power-thrash metal band a reality.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc238/crazylarry_photo/40600107.jpg
My very first instrument. It actually sounds pretty good for a budget beginners instrument. Note the totally bitchin rope strap. Doesn't have quite the style factor of the gold chain I used to have on it, but also is a lot easier on the shoulders.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc238/crazylarry_photo/40600111.jpg
My pride and joy, an Ibanez Soundgear. Really seems to be made for more of a funkier style than what I play, but it's super easy to play, and has a nice variety. Probably would do better on better equipment too.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc238/crazylarry_photo/40600116.jpg
A Jackson Warrior, it's actually more comfortable than it looks. Not a great guitar, but enough for someone like me.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc238/crazylarry_photo/40600120.jpg
And my other equipment. Bass amp on bottom, guitar amp on top. Not really that satisfied with either, although they work perfectly fine for my needs. The bass amp would be great, but the sound gets distorted at higher volumes, and even maxed out a decent drum sound will drown it out. The distortion on my guitar amp is a bit weak, but I suppose that a few pedals could fix that.

Sanagi
08-24-2007, 07:15 PM
For what it's worth, I'm probably the best steel drum player in Alaska. I've been wanting to start playing drum kit as well, since there'd be more opportunities to get gigs on that ability. Oh yeah, and I spend many of my nights and early mornings tweaking scores in Logic.

I can manage Guitar Hero but I'm useless with an actual guitar.

Mightyblue
08-25-2007, 12:53 AM
Does voice count? I sang in a choir for about six years or so. Went from Alto to Tenor to deep, deep Baritone.

Vahn16
08-25-2007, 03:41 AM
I once played the alto saxaphone in my middle school band. Now I don't want to say I was excellent... because that would not be bragging, it would be lying. Fun fact: my class was so bad, the band teacher actually retired after we graduated from the school. Good times.

mr_bungle700
08-25-2007, 05:18 AM
I've been playing the drums since I was eight and had formal drum training from the age of ten until the end of high school. I was the percussion section leader for both my middle school and high school bands, participated in jazz bands, pep bands, honors bands and regular old garage bands, and won several awards. My middle school even made up an award for me when I graduated, giving me a plaque for outstanding contributions to the music program.

So yeah, I used to be a pretty good drummer. I should have gone on to study music in college, but I decided to take a more "practical" route and have regretted it ever since. I still play, but I need to get back in college if I'm ever going to be as good as I'm supposed to.

Oh, and in a weird contrast to Vahn16's story, the class of musicians I grew up with through middle school and high school was so good that our middle school music teacher had a mental breakdown when we went to high school and our high school music teacher retired after everyone graduated. We left nothing but despair in our wake, apparently.

JCDenton
08-25-2007, 01:42 PM
I played violin for 5 years and hated every minute of it. I sucked and never practiced, but managed to do alright grade-wise despite that. What was crazy was that my good friend and stand partner was the best player in the orchestra, so I got to be second chair.

spineshark
08-25-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm on my 14th year of piano. I have strong innate musical talent but I'm really lazy so I'm pretty good but not great.

I played violin for almost nine years before deciding it really wasn't enjoyable to me. I'm also an extremely undedicated guitar player-I don't even know any full songs.

Calorie Mate
08-29-2007, 03:17 PM
I've always wanted to learn to play guitar, but never got around to it. I've been especially interested in bass, and have been considering it more and more as of late. Can anyone recommend a good, cheap bass to pick up (and a good way to learn how to play, maybe)? I don't want to drop a ton of cash on it, as I'm assuming the quality won't matter to much to me unless I get decent at it (which might be a few years down the line at least).

ringworm
08-29-2007, 03:32 PM
I played trumpet, bass, and piano in high school. I was really into band and stuff, but decided going into college I didn't quite have the talent required to keep doing it seriously and needed the time to focus on school (read: Starcraft).

I did try to play bass in a couple of bands in college but was never very serious about it, and decided to sell my equipment off. I also had a (forest green) Ibanez Soundgear, and I loved that thing. I had a couple of Peavey amps, one big one and one really tiny one for a practice space.

I still have my trumpets, all 3 of them. I have a really old Conn trumpet I used for Jazz with the lacquer stripped off, something about a lacquerless trumpet was always really cool to me. I have a silver horn I used mostly for crap like Marching Band and Pep Band. It was a pretty shitty horn, but I could use it and not care about its condition. Finally, I have a Bach Stradivarius Trumpet that I used for more serious settings like recitals and concert/orchestra music. It is an amazing horn, but I always kinda felt uncomfortable playing it, probably because I was always so worried about damaging it.

I also have a Yamaha Flugelhorn. Flugelhorns, if you aren't aware, kick ass. I didn't get a chance to play it much in public, but I loved when I got to play it, especially in mellow jazz pieces.

Crazy Larry
08-29-2007, 04:44 PM
I've always wanted to learn to play guitar, but never got around to it. I've been especially interested in bass, and have been considering it more and more as of late. Can anyone recommend a good, cheap bass to pick up (and a good way to learn how to play, maybe)? I don't want to drop a ton of cash on it, as I'm assuming the quality won't matter to much to me unless I get decent at it (which might be a few years down the line at least).

Well, as for what type of bass to pick up as a beginner, nothing fancy is needed. That said, I'd recommend staying away from the starter kits that come with an amp and other stuff prepackaged with the instrument. Granted, that's what I started on and it did okay by me, but it's pretty easy to get ripped off on those, and if you happen to be a fast learner you'll quickly outgrow it. I'd recommend putting down about $500 total to start out. It might sound like a lot starting off, but, look at it this way - you're less likely to be put off of playing by having inferior equipment, and the extra monetary investment will be that much more incentive to stick with it. I'd put $200 each on the amp and the bass. Ibanez and Fender both make some decent low end equipment. Then pick up the other oddities you'll need, like a tuner, cords, maybe a metronome, and so on.

As for learning, it really does help to take lessons. If that's a bit more than you'd want to invest into learning to play though, I'm sure I could scrounge up a decent guide for learning.

Calorie Mate
08-29-2007, 05:21 PM
Well, as for what type of bass to pick up as a beginner, nothing fancy is needed. That said, I'd recommend staying away from the starter kits that come with an amp and other stuff prepackaged with the instrument. Granted, that's what I started on and it did okay by me, but it's pretty easy to get ripped off on those, and if you happen to be a fast learner you'll quickly outgrow it. I'd recommend putting down about $500 total to start out. It might sound like a lot starting off, but, look at it this way - you're less likely to be put off of playing by having inferior equipment, and the extra monetary investment will be that much more incentive to stick with it. I'd put $200 each on the amp and the bass. Ibanez and Fender both make some decent low end equipment. Then pick up the other oddities you'll need, like a tuner, cords, maybe a metronome, and so on.

As for learning, it really does help to take lessons. If that's a bit more than you'd want to invest into learning to play though, I'm sure I could scrounge up a decent guide for learning.

Actually, I would like to take lessons...I just haven't looked into where to do that / how to fit it into my schedule yet.

mr_bungle700
08-29-2007, 09:47 PM
Finally, I have a Bach Stradivarius Trumpet that I used for more serious settings like recitals and concert/orchestra music. It is an amazing horn, but I always kinda felt uncomfortable playing it, probably because I was always so worried about damaging it.

Man, I'd be afraid to pick it up, let alone play it. You probably paid more for that than I've ever invested in an entire drum kit.

Schmidt
08-29-2007, 09:50 PM
Alright, I understand Guitar Hero not counting. What if I plan on buying Ubisoft's Jam Sessions? It may have been the coolest thing I played at PAX.

LancerDragoon
08-30-2007, 03:38 AM
I just started playing the guitar about a year ago, when a friend of mine taught me how to. I've been trying to learn for a long time, but that was when I actually managed to get a decent chunk of lessons down and actually practiced enough to play some simple song.

Right now I have an electric guitar from Yamaha, it came as a package with cheap amps and everything. I think I still suck, considering that I can't do barre chords shaped like, uh, I dunno, if you understand tab notations, it would look something like this: x13331

Also, I think I'm decent with the drums, but nothing exceptional, since I can't seem to keep a steady rhythm.

Crazy Larry
08-30-2007, 12:15 PM
I think I still suck, considering that I can't do barre chords shaped like, uh, I dunno, if you understand tab notations, it would look something like this: x13331

Oh man, I hate barre chords. Actually, I'm pretty poor with chords in general, but I guess that comes from starting bass before guitar.

MCBanjoMike
08-30-2007, 12:52 PM
They don't call me MCBanjo (http://www.timike.com/Audio/Tom%20Billy%20Sample.mp3)Mike for nothing (http://www.timike.com/music.html).

ringworm
08-30-2007, 12:54 PM
Man, I'd be afraid to pick it up, let alone play it. You probably paid more for that than I've ever invested in an entire drum kit.
I'd comment on it more, but honestly? I'm just glad someone knows what it is. That means you understand the extreme paranoia I lived with for most of my junior and senior years of High School.

LancerDragoon
09-01-2007, 09:56 AM
Oh man, I hate barre chords. Actually, I'm pretty poor with chords in general, but I guess that comes from starting bass before guitar.

I totally understand where you're coming from, seeing as I can't do a decent lick without mangling my guitar strings. I wish mastering the guitar is as easy as reading about it...

You know, I've always wondered how them guitarists manage to make their guitar sound a little fuzzy. I love that effect.

wumpwoast
09-01-2007, 10:10 AM
I write and play piano, recording songs on my little home studio setup -- a Clavinova piano, two Shure SM57s, a condenser vocal mic and a dynamic vocal mic. Everything else is software synths and samples, but I try and take it pretty far.

My homepage has some decent songs (http://boil.afraid.org/music/micah).

tungwene
09-01-2007, 12:07 PM
I started learning piano when I was 6 and played it for 5 years but got tired of it. I was in choir all through middle and high school. The choir I was in was really good and actually performed at Carnegie Hall once but I didn't go because the performance conflicted with our Science Olympiad State tournament. I'm on one of the choir's CDs (https://www.indiana.edu/%7Emrktpl/pages/item.php?id=1) and I can make out my own voice on it but that's 'cause I know what I sound like.

Shagohod
11-05-2007, 11:09 PM
I totally understand where you're coming from, seeing as I can't do a decent lick without mangling my guitar strings. I wish mastering the guitar is as easy as reading about it...

You know, I've always wondered how them guitarists manage to make their guitar sound a little fuzzy. I love that effect.

it's called get a pedal.....like if you want the old bluesy warm fuzz then i would recommend the pedal called a muff. plus blues generally has the tone switch set to the neck and the tone knob turned down. if you want metal distortion then it's the opposite. you put the tone switch to the body and turn the tone up. i used to play trumpet through middle school but i sucked at it. then i started playing bass and eventually guitar in 8th grade. my advice is to learn easy songs and do the boring exercises that are tedious but useful. especially on drums......and bar chords aren't that bad. you just gotta build up your finger strength and coordination a bit

Balrog
11-06-2007, 08:45 AM
Everyone (myself excluded) here should contribute to a song...a Talking Time anthem of sorts.

valhalladeath
11-06-2007, 09:35 AM
I play saxophone, clarinet, flute, and a little piano. I was selected to our all-state band 3 years running back in high school and was one of the 4 outstanding jazz instrumentalists at our state jazz championships. Also won a Downbeat/Shure Microphone award for outstanding vocalist at a collegiate jazz festival as well. In the last 10-15 years, I have sung lead vocals in a prog-rock band called Tribe, and played my saxophone in a blues band called the Tobasco Cats. I don't sing so much anymore since the multiple throat surgeries I've had over the last three years have wreaked havoc on my vocal chords. I'm hoping to start up a jazz quintet to play around our area with some friends of mine, but it is just in the planning process right now.

Violentvixen
11-06-2007, 10:28 AM
I played clarinet in elementary school for about four years. I took piano lessons for about three. I only remember how to play maybe an octave on the clarinet, but I can pick out most basic songs on the piano.

I've tried to learn guitar over the last two years, but a lack of time has prevented me from really getting anywhere. It's great fun, though.

Kirin
11-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Hmm, I just answered nearly this same thread in the Everything forum (recap: seriously practiced piano for 12 years, trumpet for 6; still decent enough on keyboard to sight-read a huge collection of video game sheet music), but since we're talking about instruments here, I'll expand...

I still have a Bach trumpet from my late HS orchestra years, and I have a decent weighted-key electric piano. But the exciting thing I just picked up is a genuine Hammond M3 electric organ. This is the real deal, dating from the 1950's, with vacuum tubes and tone wheels and everything. Now I just need to get the damn thing working. A new power connection and oil weren't sufficient - the starter motor just won't get going - so further research is required.

Abominable K
11-06-2007, 08:23 PM
I picked up electric guitar about 3 years ago. I loved it so much I'm now a music major. The only problem is outside of rock music, I'm garbage. As a southpaw, I learned to play right-handed, which leads to severe picking problems due to coordination (in practical application I compensate with judicious use of hammer-ons and pull-offs, but that don't fly in lessons). I picked up pretty easily on music theory though

Master-J
01-18-2009, 06:41 PM
I've been playing the saxophone since 6th grade (I'm now a high school Senior).

Fun fact: my class was so bad, the band teacher actually retired after we graduated from the school. Good times.

I too had a (somewhat) similar situation: my high school's band teacher was so bad that I and all of the other good musicians left before our Junior years; the man was fired just after we left.

Dizzy
01-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Violin, clarinet, saxophone and guitar during my childhood. I had enough after that.

Almost every school band plays out of tune.

Master-J
01-18-2009, 10:15 PM

Yup: either the entire band will suck, or there'll be a group of people who don't care about music and never practice, but insist on "playing" an instrument anyways.

Sanagi
01-19-2009, 03:02 AM
Violin, clarinet, saxophone and guitar during my childhood. I had enough after that.

"Oh, this is a God-awful band! I know, I’ll get the parents to listen to this. Then maybe they’ll kill 'em!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fi7Y6MFWns)

UnChocolate
01-19-2009, 04:45 AM
Violin for 14(?) years, piano for around the same amount of time. I'm pretty good at both, but I've been slacking a lot on the piano since I can't exactly carry the thing around with me.

Sanagi
01-20-2009, 11:07 PM
It's unfortunate that the amount of fun you can have with an instrument tends to increase with size.

cortbassist89
08-15-2010, 09:05 PM
Thread revival! Ahoy!

Would anyone be interested in a Talking Time collaboration band?

I play rhythm guitar and could do some singing, if pressed against my will.

I'm assuming it would involve some home recording and file sharing? I'm not sure exactly what to expect, if anyone else even finds it a worthwhile idea.

Queen Possum
08-15-2010, 09:58 PM
I was a fairly good trumpeter (read: 1st chair for most of middle and high school). Probably should've stuck with it into college, but marching band is a different, slightly terrifying animal on the college level.

Edit: Way to miss the thread bump. Whoops.

Sanagi
08-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Thread revival! Ahoy!

Would anyone be interested in a Talking Time collaboration band?

I play rhythm guitar and could do some singing, if pressed against my will.

I'm assuming it would involve some home recording and file sharing? I'm not sure exactly what to expect, if anyone else even finds it a worthwhile idea.
Tentatively yes, since I never seem to get around to doing any recording even for my own projects anymore.

I've made some progress since this thread's first life. I can play ukulele decently, and that's translated to a bit of guitar aptitude (http://www.archive.org/details/SulkInMoonlight), too.

ravinoff
08-19-2010, 02:45 PM
I played viola for around six years, I was never that great but had rather nice sounding vibrato.

I have a small number of very neat synthesizers from the '80s and '90s (Kurzweil k2500sx, Yamaha FS1R, Yamaha TX-81Z, Ensoniq ESQ-M, Ensoniq EPS). I enjoy these but most of my accomplishments with them consist of making neat weird noises, as apposed to any kind of proper composition or song making.

Steve
08-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Not actually relevant, but:

I've always taken kind of an interest in music. I played trumpet in junior high and high school in the school marching/concert/jazz bands and even a couple of crappy ska bands that various combinations of my friends tried to start. Played guitar a little, but never terribly well. Late in high school and in college I tried picking up a few other instruments that I could steal/borrow from people (bass, trombone, recorder, piano, a little bit of accordion), but never really worked at any of them enough to be able to do anything more than play a few songs by ear.

When I didn't have time to practice consistently any more, I started getting into composition - even took a few classes in it in college. Haven't really messed around with it much since then, now that I don't have access to educationally-licensed notation/composition software. Anyone know of any decent freeware applications for that? My musical skills, which were never terribly impressive to begin with, have atrophied to the point of non-existence, so there's no way that I could contribute to any sort of collaborative effort now, but it's something that I'd like to get back into. Maybe try to go whole hog with the holistic approach, writing/playing/recording my own stuff.

cortbassist89
08-20-2010, 02:14 AM
Powertab isn't bad if you don't mind making midi's, and know your way around a guitar.

I'm sure there's bound to be better stuff out there though, but I don't know any of it.

Loki
06-27-2012, 05:13 PM
I bought a ukulele. :3 I'm one step closer to being wrestling champion of the world.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q604/Epithreat/LAL2/LiveALive025.png

Also, this topic is in the wrong thread.

Sanagi
06-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Ukuleles are trendy but they deserve it. Ukuleles are awesome and they're a gateway drug to stringed instruments in general. Anyone can play them, they're cheap(just get one that stays in tune), and there's a lot of room to grow as your skills improve, especially if you try out alternate tunings.

Belmont
10-12-2012, 01:16 AM
This seems like as good of a place to put this than any:

Is anyone here a composer, know of anyone who is, or could I be pointed in the general direction of where I could find myself one? I'm looking to contract one for a videogame.

Sanagi
10-13-2012, 02:50 AM
This seems like as good of a place to put this than any:

Is anyone here a composer, know of anyone who is, or could I be pointed in the general direction of where I could find myself one? I'm looking to contract one for a videogame.
I haven't done it as a job, but I do compose (http://archive.org/details/IrrationalPlanet_09) in my spare time.