PDA

View Full Version : Tasty Crustaceans?

StrawberryChrist
02-17-2010, 06:45 PM
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/03/images/050302_lobster.jpg

LOBSTER!!
http://www.jorbanco.com/lobster.jpg

They and their smaller cousins the crawdad, the crayfish, the crawfish, the crawdaddy, the clawglip and the cray supercomputer are all irreproachably delicious.
But man, do they give me the jibblies. They're like giant armored amphibious cockroaches that can sort of hurt you. You can never really tell if they're dead or not. And remember the lobsterdudes in x-com 2? They were mean and that whole game was evil.
Anyway this thread is all about the thrill of eating boiled-alive-a-few-seconds-ago Lovecraftian horrors. go

Loki
02-17-2010, 06:49 PM
I had boiled lobster for the first time this last summer. It's guts were everywhere.

It was the most delicious meal I couldn't look at.

Thinaran
02-17-2010, 06:50 PM
And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you: They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination. Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

mopinks
02-17-2010, 07:03 PM
I like lobster okay, but shrimp? oh my god shrimp.

I will eat 100000 shrimp.

Dizzy
02-17-2010, 07:45 PM
Me too mopinks.

I kill a communist for fun, but for a bucket of shrimp and cocktail sauce? I'm gonna carve him up real nice.

StrawberryChrist
02-17-2010, 08:06 PM
I like lobster okay, but shrimp? oh my god shrimp.

I will eat 100000 shrimp.

(there are)all sorts of ways to cook and eat shrimp. shrimp kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, shrimp cocktail...
You can bake it: Millionaire Stuffed Shrimp, Alabama-Style Shrimp Bake, Bubba's Beer-Broiled Shrimp, Shrimp Pizza Wedges, etc.
You can barbecue it: Lime-Barbecued Shrimp, Grilled Orange Shrimp Salad, and a couple of others.
You can boil it: Spicy Shrimp Dip, Real Smooth Shrimp Butter, Mighty Nice Shrimp Cheese Ball, Lt. Dan's Lemon Shrimp, Smiley Face Shrimp, Oriental Shrimp Salad, Shrimp and Cheese Omelet, and plenty more.
You can fry it: Crispy Sweet-and-Sour Shrimp, Coconut Fried Shrimp, Walnut Fried Shrimp, Mama Blue's Shrimp Patties, and a few others.
You can saute it: Shrimp Hot Brown, New Year's Steak 'n' Shrimp, Shrimp Flambe (with White Wine Sauce and Hollandaise Sauce!), Shrimp and Refried Rice, Sizzlin' Szechuan Shrimp, etc.
Goes real good with: Old-Fashioned Sweet Coleslaw, Bubba's Cocktail Sauce, Delta Dunkin' Sauce, Cracklin' Cornbread, Southern Hush Puppies, and one or two other things.

- Virginia Allain (retired librarian)
from an amazon review of a certain gimmicky cookbook.

Kirin
02-18-2010, 08:53 AM
I love love love love love me some crustaceans. Mmm, good. So tasty, I don't care that they look like giant nightmare bugs.

When I was growing up, I'd always ask for lobster dinner on my birthday.

I had some crab pizza in Baltimore and it was delicious.

At least once a year or so, I try to go to somplace where I can get a ridiculous amount of crack-your-own crablegs and spend like two hours eating them.

Fresh cocktail shrimp with a nice sauce are so good. (Canned, not so much.)

I get shrimp about half the time I'm at any sort of Americanized south asian restaurant - shrimp pad thai, shrimp fried rice, shrimp masala, sweet and sour shrimp, etc.

sraymonds
02-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Y'all are making me hungry for lobster and crawfish

Nobuyuki
02-18-2010, 09:36 AM
I keep trying it but I can't get into shellfish. Meat shouldn't be that sweet. Also, having worked in the kitchen I can say shellfish are both aggrivating and disgusting to prep.

All of this is balanced by the fact that coconut shrimp is so good, so I'd call it a draw.

ThornGhost
02-18-2010, 12:12 PM
I recently ate at a Bonefish Grill and tried their "Bang Bang Shrimp" and man they were sooo good.

Gwrrrk
02-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Oh god.
The one food group that I have a hard time eating.

Pajaro Pete
02-18-2010, 01:08 PM
They're basically the cockroaches of the sea.

But oh sweet Jesus they're good cockroaches.

Sheana
02-18-2010, 01:27 PM
It was the most delicious meal I couldn't look at.

This is my biggest problem with lobser & crab. Unless the meat's been seperated out for me already, or it's just the tail/claws, I have great trouble eating it. Having all its guts right there or the shiny black eyes looking at me unblinkingly can really kill an appetite. I'm so damn squeamish.

That being said, I love crustaceans. Crab! Shrimp! Lobster! All of it is delicious and I want more! They are ugly as hell and take some work to get into but the tastiness, oh man.

ArugulaZ
02-18-2010, 02:01 PM
I'm ambivalent about crustaceans, to be honest. While I do like shrimp (especially the cocktail and fried varieties) I had a bad experience with lobster that made me swear off the stuff forever. Let's just say that scene from Futurama where Richard Nixon calls Zoidberg "the red lobster that won't ruin your dinner!" has special resonance with me.

Also, I agree with Sheana about eating anything with the eyes still attached. Creeps me right out. There was a Chinese buffet (since closed) with crayfish- I think they called them "baby lobsters"- which the proprietors served whole, head and all. They could have tasted like sweet ambrosia for all I know but all I remember were those damn beady eyes.

Pajaro Pete
02-18-2010, 02:07 PM
B-but crawfish are awesome. Just pop the head off the sucker and suck out the nummy insides.

Dawnswalker
02-18-2010, 02:58 PM
Lobsters are good as long as they are fresh out of the pot, but yeah, it really is possible to eat near-infinite amounts of shrimp before you realize what the hell you are doing.

Grignr
02-18-2010, 03:37 PM
I like shrimp best taste-wise, which is good because they're also the best meat-to-peel-time ratio.

Am I the only one who peels off the hard tail fins before cooking them?

Sven
02-18-2010, 04:27 PM
I have to sneak my seafood consumption in over lunches these days due to Kelly's allergy.

But beyond the obvious, my favourite is quite odd - crab salad made with imitation crab. If I ever had to go into competitive eating, that would totally be my event.

Red Hedgehog
02-20-2010, 03:18 PM
I love 'em all. Lobster is probably my favorite, though the only reason I would rank snow crab below it is because of the work involved.

I think I've finally gotten over my distaste of cleaning crab (where you start by knocking the crab's head off). But doing such a violent action to end the life of an animal really bothered me. Now I just realize that it's what's required to clean them since you can't just drop 'em in a pot like lobster. I still don't particularly like, but now because it's extra work.

Shrimp is pretty good too, but it's so overexposed that you have to work to find good stuff.

dangerhelvetica
02-20-2010, 06:12 PM
Let's just say that scene from Futurama where Richard Nixon calls Zoidberg "the red lobster that won't ruin your dinner!" has special resonance with me.

I suggest a nice lobster Zoidberg. I mean, Doctor Neuberg. I mean, Doctor Zoidberg.

Ghost from Spelunker
02-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Shrimp? I love shrimp! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI2ZJCLmAUQ)

ravinoff
02-21-2010, 04:17 AM
Crustaceans are awesome and tasty. One of my favorite nearby restaurants has lobster, shrimp and goat-cheese enchiladas that are amazing.

David Foster Wallace's Gourmet Magazine article (http://www.gourmet.com/magazine/2000s/2004/08/consider_the_lobster) on the Maine Lobster Festival, Consider the Lobster, is very much worth reading. Partially because just about everything DFW has written is worth reading but mostly because its an excellent essay about lobster and ethics.

"The name “lobster” comes from the Old English loppestre, which is thought to be a corrupt form of the Latin word for locust combined with the Old English loppe, which meant spider."

"...watching people slap canal-zone mosquitoes as they eat deep-fried Twinkies and watch Professor Paddywhack, on six-foot stilts in a raincoat with plastic lobsters protruding from all directions on springs, terrify their children."

"Chitinous arthropods grow by molting, rather the way people have to buy bigger clothes as they age and gain weight."

"Time-thrifty cooks sometimes microwave them alive (usually after poking several extra vent holes in the carapace, which is a precaution most shellfish-microwavers learn about the hard way)."

"I have to acknowledge that (a) I have an obvious selfish interest in this belief, since I like to eat certain kinds of animals and want to be able to keep doing it, and (b) I have not succeeded in working out any sort of personal ethical system in which the belief is truly defensible instead of just selfishly convenient."

"Is it significant that “lobster,” “fish,” and “chicken” are our culture’s words for both the animal and the meat, whereas most mammals seem to require euphemisms like “beef” and “pork” that help us separate the meat we eat from the living creature the meat once was? Is this evidence that some kind of deep unease about eating higher animals is endemic enough to show up in English usage, but that the unease diminishes as we move out of the mammalian order? (And is “lamb”/“lamb” the counterexample that sinks the whole theory, or are there special, biblico-historical reasons for that equivalence?)"

Googleshng
02-21-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm always confused by the people who FREAK OUT when they see a whole lobster on a plate, mainly because I have absolutely no familiarity with any alternate serving methods. I mean, in my personal experience?

Pre-processed: Someone at a restaurant brings you a nice bright red boiled bug-fish on a platter, with a tub of drawn butter, a tiny fork, a nutcracker, and possibly a bib featuring a cartoony lobster. Sometimes one of the claws will have been removed and used in a bisque. This is total BS and you should never get lobster at that restaurant again. Otherwise, begin cracking open claws and tail with nutcracker, pulling meat out with the tiny fork, dunking it in the butter, and enjoy. Optionally: Proceed to suck what little meat can be found out of the legs, antennae, mouth-bits, eyestalks, etc.

Eating it at home: Here are some live lobsters. Someone at the grocery store/fish market has been kind enough to put rubber bands around their claws and place them in a paper bag for you. If you have small children or pets (and of course a clean floor), you may wish to let them roam free across the floor for a bit. Eventually, you drop them into a large pot of boiling water, and clamp the lit down until the thrashing and squealing sounds stop. You can avoid the thrashing by holding/arranging the lobsters head-down, causing them to pass out before being boiled alive, but the suffering enhances the flavor. Once boiling is finished and lobsters have gone from black or blue to bright red, serve as above.

Totally from scratch: Make a wooden box. Tie a rope to the box. Weigh down the box. Put some chicken in the box. Put the box in the ocean. Come back the next day. Pull up a box full of lobsters. Ponder how stupid lobsters are that they will crawl into a box without a plan of how to get back to the opening after they eat that weird alien meat in there, particularly with all the other lobsters already stuck in there. Take box home. Remove lobsters. Optionally put lobsters in a fish tank and feed them cornmeal for a while so their digestive system has less nasty bottomfeeder garbage in it when you cook them. Proceed as above with lobsters and put box in water again for next time. Alternatively: Sell lobsters at really unreasonable price for the effort involved.

So... in the rest of the country, it works how? Someone in a kitchen you never enter does all this for you and you just get a pile of chopped up tail and claw meat neatly arranged on a plate or something?

Eirikr
02-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Finally, a place to put this picture I took a couple summers ago:

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/3/31815/1277631-crabs.jpg

It's making my mouth water right now.

shivam
02-21-2010, 12:39 PM
My dad tells me a story about how he sent a client a lobster once back when we were based out of massachusetts. The client, not in new england, opened the box, saw a green lobster, and threw it away, thinking it was bad. That night, the lobster got out of the trash and was running around his kitchen. Dude had never seen a live lobster before, so thought that they were always bright red =)

NevznachaY
02-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Crawfish are underrated. They are eaten by the bucket in Southern Russia.

Kylie
02-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Oh hell yes.

The appropriate unit of measurement for consumption of boiled crawfish is "by the cauldron", and for steamed Blue Crabs encrusted with nasty Old Bay is "by the table."

Dizzy
02-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Crawfish are underrated. They are eaten by the bucket in Southern Russia.

The fishermen who collect them (?) must be heroes then.

Wolfgang
02-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Oh, gross

NevznachaY
02-24-2010, 01:57 PM
The fishermen who collect them (?) must be heroes then.

Pardon?

Eirikr
02-24-2010, 03:47 PM
nasty Old Bay

Old Bay is my tongue's religion, and it will not stand for this hate speech!

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/3/31815/1283237-the_crabs_and_old_bay.jpg

*hugs* See, crabs love to be steamed with it! I've never had this lemon and herb variant though, so it could very well be nasty.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/3/31815/1283238-crabs.jpg

Now THIS is how you use Old Bay -- excessively. It's only thoughtful to send off our cancerous friends on their final voyage with a delicious blanket of appreciation.

Dizzy
02-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Pardon?

I mean if the people love crawfish that much then the people who get them must be heroes.

NevznachaY
02-24-2010, 05:14 PM
It's not like you need bare hands. There are farms and special traps, you know.

(By the way, I've just realized that the word I needed was "crayfish". Confusing).

EDIT: found this on Wiki. Such a cutie.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/09/Crayfisch_Astacus_astacus.jpg

Matchstick
02-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Old Bay is my tongue's religion, and it will not stand for this hate speech!

Agreed. Old Bay is awesome. Occasionally, I'll even indulge in Herr's old bay flavored chips.

As far as crustaceans are concerned, I've not run into any I don't like. The most delightful meal I've had was a Lobster Tagliatelle in Reykjavik. Little teeny lobster tails in a lobster cream sauce.

Kylie
02-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Oh no no no, clearly I have been misunderstood. Steamed crabs with nasty old bay are amazing, and are to be eaten by the table-full, especially if otherwise-unpalatable cheap beer is available alongside. But I do have a problem with my fellow Baltimoreans and their inability to determine the difference between the taste of crab, and that of Old Bay. I know restaurants that have gone under because they didn't use copious OB in their crab cakes, and gained a reputation, therefore, for "not using real crab".

People in this city are idiots.

Idiots with delicious, delicious steamed crabs. With old bay, yes.

Destil
02-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Back when I was a kid my grandparents would host an annual clam bake on the 4th of July. They got a pair of massive steel trash cans and filled them to the brim with fresh lobster, clams, shrimp and all sorts of other goodness. Then pour in some water and light a fire underneath. It was always fantastic.

Eirikr
02-25-2010, 12:32 AM
Oh no no no, clearly I have been misunderstood. Steamed crabs with nasty old bay are amazing, and are to be eaten by the table-full, especially if otherwise-unpalatable cheap beer is available alongside. But I do have a problem with my fellow Baltimoreans and their inability to determine the difference between the taste of crab, and that of Old Bay. I know restaurants that have gone under because they didn't use copious OB in their crab cakes, and gained a reputation, therefore, for "not using real crab".

People in this city are idiots.

Idiots with delicious, delicious steamed crabs. With old bay, yes.

Ah, I get you. The stupidity doesn't surprise me at all. I can't deny though that I would be disappointed if I had some steamed crabs without Old Bay or some Chesapeake Bay spice analog. The taste between the two is so indelibly linked that no wonder those hapless hons think crabs spontaneously generate the spice.

My own personal heresy is that as much as I love my Maryland Gulf of Mexico Blue Crabs, I've never been a fan of crab cakes or soft shell crabs.

taidan
02-25-2010, 06:31 AM
Finally, a place to put this picture I took a couple summers ago:

crab pic

It's making my mouth water right now.

That reminds me of the crab festival from last summer that sold out before I could get tickets. It would have been my first!

I know restaurants that have gone under because they didn't use copious OB in their crab cakes, and gained a reputation, therefore, for "not using real crab".

This may be handy when talking to a few people i know.

Dadgum Roi
02-25-2010, 06:34 AM
My own personal heresy is that as much as I love my Maryland Gulf of Mexico Blue Crabs, I've never been a fan of crab cakes or soft shell crabs.

Soft shell crabs are something you really have to eat while they're in season locally. Here in NC, that would be about mid-May.

Kirin
02-25-2010, 07:44 AM
Now THIS is how you use Old Bay -- excessively. It's only thoughtful to send off our cancerous friends on their final voyage with a delicious blanket of appreciation.

Jesus, I look at that and my fingers start stinging from the inevitability of getting spices under my fingernails and in every tiny cut from the edge of a cracked shell.

Don't get me wrong, I can enjoy Old Bay (especially in a nice crabcake), but I'm also a fan of just taking straight crab and dipping it in way too much butter.

Kylie
02-25-2010, 07:59 AM
Butter and Old Bay?

(like seriously for serious. This combination is also really really kind to wings and do not ask how I found out.)

By eating a couple dozen.

StrawberryChrist
02-25-2010, 01:40 PM
It's not like you need bare hands. There are farms and special traps, you know.

(By the way, I've just realized that the word I needed was "crayfish". Confusing).

The English language hasn't really worked that out yet. "Crawfish" and "Crayfish" are equally acceptable in the US, "Crawdad" is probably acceptable as well but makes you sound like a hick.

It gets more confusing in the English-speaking countries of the southern hemisphere, where "crayfish" is just another type of saltwater lobster. In the US a "cray" or "craw" anything refers to a freshwater crustacean, as far as I know.

Kirin
02-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Yeah, the thing is in most of the US any time you get something like that from the ocean, it's probably a Maine lobster, and if you see something smaller it probably came out of a river or lake. I know there exist plenty of other varieties of ocean-dwelling lobster-shaped crustaceans, but they're just not seen commonly at the dinner table here.

And the crayfish/crawfish/crawdaddy distinctions tend to depend more on regional dialect than the actual species of what's being served.

Chasmang
04-20-2010, 12:37 AM
Crawfish are great but you NEED sausage, corn, and potatoes with it if you actually want the meal to end with you satisfied.

Dizzy
04-20-2010, 12:48 AM
This thread reminds me how much seafood is G-d, and that if I could I'd be on a cruise ship all day wrecking the oceanic ecosystem with my appetite. I especially like the creamy, delectable crab casserole served at crappy Chinese buffets.

(Squids and octopuses I would eat alive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv_OxuZzIxY), if necessary. I love them so.)

nunix
04-20-2010, 07:55 AM
ITT: Dizzy turns out to be a shark!!

Daikaiju
04-20-2010, 07:12 PM
I will not turn down a plate of fried oysters. No sir.

ravinoff
04-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Last night I was gifted with a nice sized bag of leftover crawfish that had been boiled live a couple hours prior.

After shelling a whole bunch of them I cooked some whole wheat spaghetti, then added to that the crawfish meat, a sauteed onion, some extra virgin olive oil and a healthy amount of freshly grated parmesan. The plan being to go simple to not take away from the delicious meat that was the highlight of the dish.

It was wonderful. It had enough crawfish in it that you could have tailmeat on the end of almost every forkful of spaghetti.

Kirin
04-27-2010, 08:30 AM
That sounds devine, ravinoff. Now I want some.

NevznachaY
04-27-2010, 01:49 PM
I will not turn down a plate of fried oysters. No sir.

[science nerd]Not crustaceans![/science nerd]

bdazzld
04-27-2010, 03:57 PM
They're basically the spiders/cockroaches of the sea.

But oh sweet Jesus they're good spiders/cockroaches.

bdazzld
04-27-2010, 03:58 PM
(Squids and octopuses I would eat alive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv_OxuZzIxY), if necessary. I love them so.)

Oooooh my. Yes please lol.

Kylie
04-29-2010, 07:40 AM
There are basically no eatin' crawfish where I am. This is sad.

This weekend is a trip to new orleans.

It will be CRAWFISH AND NOTHING ELSE.

Do not crush my dreams by telling me they are not in season. I will have them.

Red Hedgehog
04-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Lobster season has begun!

Daikaiju
05-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Be vewy vewy qweit, Red Hedgehog is huntin' Wobsters.

Bit
05-04-2010, 03:33 AM
I feel the same as Sebastian.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m285/fofonda/disney/fishfood.jpg

Dadgum Roi
05-04-2010, 06:23 AM
Lobster season has begun!

Blue crab/softshell crab season has begun!

I had a basket of steamed blue crabs last week, and it was glorious. The best part is the roe. On the other hand, you can eat the legs of a softshell, but on the whole, I've got to go with roe.

Kylie
05-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Despite adoring blue crabs like nobody's business, even (especially) covered with ridiculous Old Bay and accompanied by the cheapest beer available, I have never ever managed to cultivate an appreciation for softshells. I think it's a texture thing. :(

Kirin
05-05-2010, 10:57 AM
I've cut my gums eating softshell before. It didn't exactly endear them to me.

Dadgum Roi
05-05-2010, 11:12 AM
I've cut my gums eating softshell before. It didn't exactly endear them to me.

How the hell do you manage that?