PDA

View Full Version : Spy Forum Mafia

Bongo Bill
02-18-2010, 08:27 PM
This game is different from the mafia game already in progress. Sort of. The basic rules are the same: alternate day and night phases, majority-voting lynch mobs, an informed few against the ignorant many, maybe a few twists thrown in.

However. This game will be very difficult and require considerable effort from all players, because the following restrictions are in place:

The game-playing thread may not be used for discussion or deliberation, only for voting and official updates from the game master (me!). Nor may any other thread be created for that purpose.
All private communication between players is absolutely verboten, unless it is not intended to have any relation to the game. Obviously, this is will be enforced using the honor system.
All conversation related to the game must take place somewhere on Talking Time. Per the above rules, it must happen solely in public threads as a subtle part of an ongoing recreational discussion.
All players must make at least one post on Talking Time per game day.
The evil team will not told each others' identities. They are only given secret, innocuous-looking code phrases, which they'll have to use creatively.
Each member of the evil team will identify their selection for each night's murder victim in a single private message to me - without any chance to consult their teammates in private. The one who received the most "votes" will be killed; in the event of a tie, I will decide randomly.
Good guys with special powers, if I elect to include any, can only activate their night power by including a particular innocuous-looking code phrase in one of their posts during the preceding game day.
At the start of the game, I might give you incomplete information about the game status, but I will tell you that it is incomplete if I do so.
Unless a majority of players insist otherwise, it is not permitted for any player to tick the "invisible mode" box in the Options screen of their user control panel while they are participants in the game.

Clearly, this is not a game for the weak of stomach. I think that these rules will heighten the paranoia associated with web-based mafia games. I can't be certain, as I've never run a game like this or even seen one played.

Post in this thread if you are interested.

dtsund
02-18-2010, 08:34 PM
The problem I see with this is that many of us only frequent certain threads, so unless the game is restricted to the hyper-active among us, too many hidden messages will go completely unseen by a lot of players. There could be a huge clandestine argument going in in some thread related to MegaTen, and I'd never even see it. I don't have time to read every thread.

Anyway, it'd also be too easy to do a 'see all posts by this person' and vgrep for repeated phrases to find out who has powers.

I think I'm out, sorry.

Bongo Bill
02-18-2010, 08:35 PM
The problem I see with this is that many of us only frequent certain threads, so unless the game is restricted to the hyper-active among us, too many hidden messages will go completely unseen by a lot of players.

I think I'm out, sorry.

I can limit it just to a particular subforum if you prefer. Alternatively, I can keep a listing of the threads that any player has posted in since the start of the game.

Dizzy
02-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Intriguing but nigh impossible for me. You'll be on you're toes in every thread every time you're on here. I can see only the most dedicated (maybe OCD) player doing this.

dtsund
02-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Bah, so much for editing my initial post in time.