PDA

View Full Version : Food Fun Club 2: Meat

Loki
02-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Food Fun Club 2 Meat Selection
2/22-3/22

The idea of staggering two fun clubs a month is a good one. Starting today is the meat club and in two weeks the vegi club will begin.

My wife used to be a vegetarian but has come around to a few meats. Chicken, turkey, bacon, and pepperoni primarily. Anything else she won't go near. Worse, she won't eat any chicken if it's on the bone. And on top of that she doesn't like dark meat. This leaves me in the bind when it comes to planning meals. Really my only choice is the boneless, skinless chicken breast, the most bland and tasteless part of the chicken.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/can-i-boil-boneless-skinless-chicke.jpg

Your task is to take this boring piece of flesh and turn it into something wondrous. Then I will steal your idea and serve it for dinner. You have a month.

Allez cuisine!

Ethan
02-22-2010, 12:17 PM
So we're dealing not just with meat, but specifically with a boring cut of meat made un-boring, yes?

Ample Vigour
02-22-2010, 12:18 PM
So we're dealing not just with meat, but specifically with a boring cut of meat made un-boring, yes?

Specifically the boneless, skinless chicken breast; aka the sugar-free bubblegum of flesh.

Dadgum Roi
02-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Apparently! :(

spineshark
02-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Specifically the boneless, skinless chicken breast; aka the sugar-free bubblegum of flesh.
Which actually makes a generic, ominous "meat" title kind of apt, don't you think?

Violentvixen
02-22-2010, 12:50 PM
What, you guys afraid of a challenge?

I have a casserole that will OWN YOUR SOUL.

Ethan
02-22-2010, 12:55 PM
I accept this challenge, but I think it has to be said that preferring meat that is processed to carry the fewest possible reminders of the animal it came from makes your wife the worst meat eater, especially if her original rationale for vegetarianism had anything at all to do with her love of animals. Any way you look at it – in terms of taste, health, treatment of animals, socioeconomics, political implications, whatever – it is better to eat animal products that make the fewest possible stops from natural living situation to your kitchen. It's not just that boneless, skinless, packaged chicken breasts taste bland; it's that they, and the industry that created them, have done a great part in corrupting the American food industry and destroying the American diet. So what I'm saying is, you should follow the thread and become inspired to prepare chicken breast in all sorts of delicious ways, and you should trade this chicken breast to your wife in exchange for forcing her to read some Michael Pollan and learn her mistake.

</dirty liberal>

Dadgum Roi
02-22-2010, 01:30 PM
I'm kind of torn between food snobbery and not wanting to celebrate something that's, well, bad and thinking that in some ways this is the modern American version of peasant food- making cheap, undesirable things tasty.

Pajaro Pete
02-22-2010, 01:35 PM
What, you guys afraid of a challenge?

I have a casserole that will OWN YOUR SOUL.

Oh yeah?! Well I'll be bringing in the double meat. Oh yeah, I'm going there. What then? What then? actually i don't know what to make i just wanted to use double meat before anyone else did

making cheap, undesirable things tasty.

That... that is the very foundation of southern cuisine compadre. I really expected you of all people to know better.

Dadgum Roi
02-22-2010, 01:41 PM
That... that is the very foundation of southern cuisine compadre. I really expected you of all people to know better.

I know, I think you misread my post. I was saying that perhaps the boneless, skinless chicken breast is sort of a modern chitlin.

Knight
02-22-2010, 02:08 PM
I love boneless, skinless chicken breast. I don't really like dark meat, and bones just get in the way. Eating chicken wings is just a pain in the ass. But anyway, my wife makes a pretty simple meal out of it, just trim the fat and cut the breasts into strips, then marinade them in some store bought marinade (I forget the flavor) and cook them in the oven. I think she also adds asparagus (I think, I fucking hate vegetables and I only eat that with it because it's soaked in sauce and I can't taste how nasty it is) towards the end and serves it with sliced peaches from a jar. I'll ask her for the actual recipe when I get home.

Balrog
02-22-2010, 02:19 PM
I cook with boneless, skinless chicken breast all the time. Ya'll a bunch a haters.

Knight
02-22-2010, 02:24 PM
I cook with boneless, skinless chicken breast all the time. Ya'll a bunch a haters.
*fist bump*

NevznachaY
02-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Now I'm tempted to repost my Orange Fun Club submission, ha.

Knight
02-22-2010, 05:43 PM
OK, here it is. Asparagus and peaches are optional.

Ingredients
A pack of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
A bottle of Lawry's Sesame Ginger Marinade
Some fresh asparagus
A jar of sliced Dole peaches

Trim the fat and cut the chicken breasts into 1 inch thick strips

Marinate them in Lawry's Sesame Ginger Marinade for 30-60 minutes, turning the chicken over halfway through it

Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees

Cut the asparagus in half, keeping the top halves

Dump the chicken strips and the marinade in a baking dish, arranging them in a single layer (Also add the aparagus tips if you're using them, they can go on top or between the strips)

Bake for 15-20 minutes

Serve with sliced peaches

Pseudonym
02-23-2010, 10:31 AM
A big 'ol bag of frozen boneless chicken breasts is a kitchen staple in my house. My mom can do so much with them. I'm quite fond of her chicken parmesan! Maybe I can get my act together for this fun club, as I didn't manage to make anything for the last one.

Red Hedgehog
02-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Once again, I am a hater who shares destro and Grant's views.

I mean really, could we have a more generic meat suggestion?

But I'll probably participate just because it is so easy to make a dish with it.

Mr. J
02-23-2010, 04:16 PM
Hmm, I've got a great recipe for this with Italian dressing and lemon pepper. The trick is to get it crunchy without drying it out.

Kirin
02-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Say, I don't suppose Quorn naked cutlets (http://www.quorn.us//cmpage.aspx?pageid=478&productid=143) would count for this thread? They're about the closest not-actually-meat thing I've seen to a boneless, skinless chicken breast, and we use 'em all the time.

Ethan
02-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Do it. I assume whatever treatment you choose for them would be applicable to chicken as well.

I'm thinking about a couple different methods. I'd like to do slow-cooked pork seasoned with achiote paste, so I might use the chicken as a test run for a homemade paste (but broiled, not slow-cooked). I'd also like to try braising the chicken with shallots in a red wine sauce. And I'd also like to try adding some kind of outside animal fat to the chicken, like rendered bacon fat or possibly lard, to restore some of the richness you lose by removing the skin.

Just found out that my local meat farmer does boneless, skinless breasts. That will give me a much tastier and less wrong-feeling starting point than the standard grocery store fare. I'm hyped.

Stephen
02-27-2010, 01:07 AM
I feel compelled to post in this thread, so I will make a chicken dish! My dad had a heart attack almost 14 years ago* and chicken breast is just about the only meat he eats on a regular basis. Experience will be the key to my success.

*Holy crap, I can't believe it was that long ago.

Duck Lips
02-27-2010, 01:37 PM
I am a fan of dark meat, and skin- where all the flavor is. But I do have one recipe that makes this bubblegum flesh ridiculously delish!

Split boneless chicken breasts down the middle so you have a top and bottom half (to stuff)

In a pan use, olive oil to saute fresh garlic, chopped onions and spinach & seasonings- I add a little rosemary, oregano and Cavendar's greek. Add a package of ricotta cheese to veggies and mix well. This is your stuffing.

Stuff the chicken breasts.

Wrap the breasts in applewood bacon.

Bake at 350 for 30-45 min or until done.

SIMPLE, FILLING, & effing tasty!

Pajaro Pete
03-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Here's my submission!!!
Spoiled Chicken Breast

Remove chicken breast from package, transfer to Ziploc® bag. Return chicken breast to meat compartment of refrigerator and forget about it for one week.

StrawberryChrist
03-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Here's my submission!!!
Spoiled Chicken Breast

Remove chicken breast from package, transfer to Ziploc® bag. Return chicken breast to meat compartment of refrigerator and forget about it for one week.

I'm not sure how you came to acquire my family's top-secret chicken recipes (you crook,) but my father made this and his classic Iced Chicken a staple of every family dinner when I was a teenager. Iced Chicken entails leaving a package of chicken in the freezer for five months or until chicken is a single solid, unbreakable cube. Thaw completely before cooking and your meat will have a pleasantly soggy, chewing-gum-like texture. The family recipe uses a whole lotta salt and pepper, and can almost be rendered palatable with gratuitous Heinz 57 or A1 Bold steak sauce (though the cats still won't eat it.)
You wouldn't believe how much pepper.

The sub-grade chik-fil-a kiosks you find at university campuses offer a comparable dish, but the true Iced Chicken experience is dependent upon finding a Waffle House in a state of Crisis.

My dad would kill me if I gave away the secret Penicillium to his internationally renowned Spoiled Reuben, but let's just say if you've got some meat lying around that looks and smells like roast beef but is most definitely not roast beef then all you have to do is match it with properly aged rye bread. You'll know when your bread is properly aged because you can shave with it. Bonus points if it looks like (but is not) marble rye.

Fry 'em up in the grease from half a stick of butter and add thousand island dressing if you want to get dressing all over your fingers because the bread is basically paper-thin shards of buttery, moldy pumice at this point. No sauerkraut is used because nobody has figured out a way to make sauerkraut go bad, and because sauerkraut might hinder the sandwich in its intended purpose of afflicting the lucky gourmet who dines upon it with scurvy.

In all seriousness though, this skinless boneless chicken breast nonsense is only edible when it is quite fresh. Personal tastes differ but if I picked up the chicken at the grocery store two days ago, it's already too old for me. Some people can eat unfrozen meat but my stance is that if you're putting meat in the freezer then you might as well be throwing it away. You have bought too much meat and are therefore a bad person. Iced Chicken is best not used except in a soup or smothered in sauce in some kind of apology of a pasta dish.

Anyway chicken! Is quite boring. My lack-of-better ideas recipe involves frying the lumpo'meat in a skillet with a bit of olive oil and not very much salt and black pepper. If you want to go crazy with seasoning, that's where onion and garlic powders will come in. This is a sad meal and should not be attempted if you have a grill, because good chicken comes from a grill. When you are making cuisine from outer space chicken can be used to bring it back down to Earth. Chicken is the little island of not-pain in a searing sea of curry. It's the part of your pad thai that doesn't make you sneeze. It's the part of chicken salad that... can be... identified.

As far as the taste and morality receptors in my brain are concerned, turkey is just plain better. I can't stand duck, though. Duck tastes like what I imagine people to taste like.
People will eventually get over chicken when antibiotic-resistant factory-raised birds start harboring some kind of T-Virus and millions of humans die or turn into zombie/chicken biomonsters as a result. And then reptiles will become the new chicken! Alligator is delicious y'all

Ethan
03-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Though this isn't a major operation by any means, I just rubbed down a couple breast filets with a blackening spice rub from my farmers' market and a bit of olive oil, and broiled them fast. They didn't turn out half bad. The thinner of the two filets came out much better, because I could cook it completely through without overcooking the parts that are closer to the surface.

So I guess one of the keys here is intense heat and a short cooking time. I put some of the chicken back in the broiler for a bit, and it's clear that these things dry out extremely easily.

I had a spare breast filet, and it is now sitting in a ziploc bag in my fridge along with two strips of bacon and a little bit of maple syrup. I have no idea how that will end up tasting, but we'll see.

Ethan
03-05-2010, 09:00 AM
I broiled and ate the maple bacon chicken breast. It tasted alright. The sweetness was pleasant, and the parts that were right underneath the bacon were tasty (it wasn't 100% wrapped). It's nothing I would try again, though, and not good enough for me to be satisfied with my showing in this FC. I picked up the spices needed for achiote paste a few days ago.

Violentvixen
03-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Note: this originally started out as this recipe (http://www.recipezaar.com/Spinach-Chicken-Pie-354898) but I've changed a lot of it over the years. One of the nicest things about this is how easily you can adapt it. We change around the spinach/chicken ratios often and I rarely make it in a 13x9 pan.

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2.5 lbs chicken
3 (10oz) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1.5 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
0.5 teaspoon nutmeg
0.5 teaspoon red pepper flakes
8 oz feta cheese, crumbled
4 eggs
1 tablespoon chopped oregano
Box of phyllo dough

Melt butter (I microwave it in a small dish for ~30 seconds)

Heat oven to 375. Coat a 13x9 inch baking pan with cooking spray or butter.

Add chicken and cook 8 minutes (until no longer pink) stirring often.

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo62/annumd/DSCN4506.jpg

Add spinach, salt, pepper, nutmeg and red pepper flakes. Cook 5 minutes and make sure everything is mixed well.

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo62/annumd/DSCN4511.jpg

Transfer to large bowl, quickly stir in cheese, eggs and oregano. Stir until well-mixed.

Place three sheets of phyllo dough in the bottom of the pan, you may have to trim the dough to make it fit well. Spread half of the chicken and spinach mixture over the top. I recommend not trying to collect all the liquid in the bowl as this can make the casserole too moist. Place another three sheets on top of this, then another layer of chicken and spinach, top with another three sheets. Cut three holes across the top. (This step will vary by pan size).

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo62/annumd/DSCN4519.jpg

Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes until top is browned.

Om nom nom nom.

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo62/annumd/DSCN4521.jpg

Daikaiju
03-21-2010, 02:27 PM
I don't know why, but this thread reminds me of Stove Top's Chicken Bake dinners. they were so simple and easy. then Betty Crocker debuted a more complicated version and the product disappeared.

Damn you, Betty!

NevznachaY
03-21-2010, 04:33 PM
Sour Cream'd Chicken

This is an extremely easy (and very satisfactory) recipe. In fact, it's probably the first thing I learned to cook.

Ingredients:

- chicken breast;
- rice;
- sour cream (30%);
- salt;
- black pepper (I didn't use it this time - just didn't feel like it).

I used sunflower oil, but this isn't important (it adds this specific aroma). The choice of rice, on the other hand, is essential: use basmati, preferably mixed with wild rice.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_IFQ2pctTES0/S6aY4yU1U-I/AAAAAAAAAzo/13QB_BlQclw/s400/DSC_0046.JPG

You can see that those are small chunks - but this sauce works just as well with the whole breast. It's important for the meat to be very soft - so fry it for just a couple of minutes (to let it release the juices).

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_IFQ2pctTES0/S6aY5VcJLFI/AAAAAAAAAzs/oshpMuHse2Y/s400/DSC_0052.JPG

Don't be shy with the sour cream!

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_IFQ2pctTES0/S6aY50YLDEI/AAAAAAAAAzw/jcsVLgwb3Ik/s400/DSC_0055.JPG

Braise the meat to let the sauce get thicker (and more heterogeneous). It should be pinkish in colour. (STEAMY PICTURE)

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_IFQ2pctTES0/S6aY6Fsst8I/AAAAAAAAAz0/S_R1vtrnGhU/s400/DSC_0057.JPG

Add the rice (boiled al dente with a generous helping of salt) to the mixture.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_IFQ2pctTES0/S6aY6jS-A2I/AAAAAAAAAz4/3KeNVbKqYqc/s400/DSC_0061.JPG

Ta-dah.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_IFQ2pctTES0/S6aY66YTZ3I/AAAAAAAAAz8/Zwtp0cNK26k/s400/DSC_0062.JPG

Matchstick
03-21-2010, 06:07 PM
That sounds delicious, NevznachaY.

NevznachaY
03-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks!

Reinforcements
03-24-2010, 09:51 PM
Hey, I participated! No pictures I'm afraid, but I made a recipe for slow-cooker barbeque pulled chicken I found. I think I used a low proporition of chicken to sauce, so it came out a little like chicken chili, but it was good! I bet on the right bun with melted cheese and fried jalapenos it would be fantastic.

Recipe here (http://ellysaysopa.com/2010/03/08/slowcooker-pulled-chicken/).

Violentvixen
03-25-2010, 07:47 AM
Hey, I participated! No pictures I'm afraid, but I made a recipe for slow-cooker barbeque pulled chicken I found. I think I used a low proporition of chicken to sauce, so it came out a little like chicken chili, but it was good! I bet on the right bun with melted cheese and fried jalapenos it would be fantastic.

Recipe here (http://ellysaysopa.com/2010/03/08/slowcooker-pulled-chicken/).

I am going to try this because I had a MASSIVE Crockpot fail when I tried to use it for the first time. Mostly due to crappy ingredients, but I was still sad.

Kirin
03-30-2010, 08:01 AM
Oh, hey, I just remembered that someone said earlier I should go ahead and post fake-chicken-breast things in here as well (using Quorn cutlets, see link on previous page), and we just did one of those last night.

Fake chicken breast salad:

Grill/fry the Quorn cutlets 'til they're hot and browned on the outside, slice into strips, set aside.
Rip up a head of red lettuce (or whatever leafy things you like best).
Thinly slice an english cucumber.
Crumble some delicious chevre from the farmer's market (or whatever tasty goat cheese you can find).
Make some chive vinaigrette* ahead, or pick some other tasty dressing.
Toss everything together and enjoy.

Simple, but a good, light meal.

*Supplemental: Chive vinaigrette

We have a couple chive plants in the garden, and in addition to delicious chive leaves (for potatoes or nachos or what have you), they periodically produce a ton of purple flowers. Rip off all the flowers before they dry out and stuff 'em in a wine bottle. Fill the empty space in the bottle with good vinegar. Let sit in the fridge forever.

Later, take an empty salad dressing bottle. Add one part chive vinegar solution (strained) to two parts decent olive oil. Toss in some ground mustard and lemon juice. Maybe a little balsamic for extra flavor. Shake vigorously. The shake again every time you use it, because it separates like instantaneously.

NevznachaY
03-30-2010, 08:23 AM
I may sound like a massive dick for pointing this out, but the new Fun Club should have started over a week ago.

Ethan
03-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Nobody has posted an entry for the celeriac FC yet (and I'm not sure anybody will, besides me), but yes, this chicken breast FC has run its course.

The chive vinegar sounds interesting.

NevznachaY
03-30-2010, 11:29 PM
Nobody has posted an entry for the celeriac FC yet (and I'm not sure anybody will, besides me)

I'm planning to.

bdazzld
04-27-2010, 04:12 PM
OH MY GOSH! (know I am behind, but just wanted to share :-p)

So, Kirkland has a Chipotle Lime marinade, delish!

Take chicken breast, using kitchen scissors cut two breast pieces into smaller pieces, say fajita sized.

Take quart or gallon size ziploc bag, add in chicken.

Add in marinade, extra lime juice, little extra chipotle if you like heat.

Massage the meat around a bit in the bag.

Marinade over night at least.

Take this and toss it, plus some red onion into a pan, add a little more lime, a dash of cinnamon, cook in pan on medium-high heat until chicken is cooked through.

That's the chicken part. The rest of the preparation is sort of up to you, but what I did was:

Flour tortillas, warmed in the oven on the warm setting.

Fat-free refried beans heated in the pan, with reduced fat cheese melted in.

Side of fresh pico di gallo (sp?)lettuce, any other possible burrito/soft taco options.

Add fixings as you will, enjoy delicious tropical southwestern flavored chicken burrito/tacos.

Matchstick
04-27-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm way behind as well, but I blame Real Life (tm). Maybe I'll get something done this weekend.