PDA

View Full Version : Comfort food

Brickroad
02-28-2010, 12:10 AM
I just had two really bad calls back to back. My wits are shaken and I kind of hate life.

You know what? That means it's cheeseburger time. Say what you will about McDonald's, but it always cheers me up. It's just so darn difficult to stay angry or upset during cheeseburger time!*

*See also: McNugget Time, Milkshake Time, McFlurry Time

cortbassist89
02-28-2010, 12:14 AM
Tony Stark and I agree, after any type of catastrophe, an American cheeseburger is the only solution for me. (tm)

Garrison
02-28-2010, 12:16 AM
Mashed Potatoes always do it for me. Not the "good" homemade kind, but the powdered stuff you find in boxes. It's all about the texture, the warmth, the blend of salt with just a little bit of pepper.

Pretzels are also great for when I'm having a bad day.

BodhiTraveller
02-28-2010, 12:39 AM
My fastfood comfort food is the Yoshinoya beef bowl, if only because so many locations are open twenty-four hours - when shit goes down in the wee hours of the night, it is time for a beef bowl.

Caution: may cause shit to go down the next morning.

DemoWeasel
02-28-2010, 12:41 AM
Kraft Macaroni & Cheese and sopa de fideo.

mm-mmm

Torgo
02-28-2010, 12:41 AM
Peanut butter toast.

Nerdy
02-28-2010, 02:18 AM
For some reason, either a bowl of Peanut Butter Crunch or Chex helps a lot when I'm upset.

Daikaiju
02-28-2010, 05:08 AM
Thin cut bone-in porkchops cooked almost dry, mashed potatoes with skin and kernel corn.
^__________^

Brickroad
02-28-2010, 05:15 AM
Mashed Potatoes always do it for me. Not the "good" homemade kind, but the powdered stuff you find in boxes. It's all about the texture, the warmth, the blend of salt with just a little bit of pepper.

There is nothing at all wrong with some instant 'taters, and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Daikaiju
02-28-2010, 05:18 AM
Plus there's so much variety with instant nowadays. From Betty Crocker's various flavored varieties to Ore-Ida's frozen potato cubes; zap, add milk and butter and mash!

Kirin
02-28-2010, 09:36 AM
I think I'm in the mac'n'cheese camp on this one. Something nice and cheddary.

Knight
02-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Some sort of fast food is usually my comfort food when I'm having a shitty day at work. I used to go and get Chipotle during my lunch hour, but I started eating lunch at home once I got married, so that stopped. Now I sneak off when I'm on my break and hit up Wendys for some jr. bacon cheeseburgers or spicy chicken nuggets, or I'll purposefully have a really light lunch at home and leave a little early to get some Wendys. It's mostly Wendy's because that's the closest fast food place I get to and back to work in 15 minutes. If traffic and signal lights and the drive-thru line were all perfect, then I could get McDonalds, but that's just too risky.

Dadgum Roi
02-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Barbecue from my late grandfather's favorite place. We used to go there all the time.

Collards and pepper sauce. I just had a big bowl, in fact wait just a sec y'all brb kthxbi

Austintatious
02-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Now I sneak off

I highly, highly recommend some communication with your spouse. I, for example, don't lie about my disgusting food habits, and hence my wife lets me indulge from time to time.

This whole light lunch at home scenario... it's like you're cheating on them with greasy fatty burgers. It doesn't have to be this way!

hypharse
02-28-2010, 05:52 PM
home-made nachos for me. Tostitos scoops + cheddar cheese + freshly sliced jalapenos (none of the canned crap) and stuck in the oven at 275 degrees for 6 minutes.

nimling
02-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Home-made fries are the best fries.
A heaping plate of rice is nice, too.

Marfy
02-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Tomato soup! I crave it every time I get a migraine, but invariably end up throwing it up from migraine-induced nausea. You know what's really unpleasant to throw up? Tomato soup.

BŁge
03-01-2010, 12:35 PM
You know what's really unpleasant to throw up? Tomato soup.

Apple cinnamon tea is worse.

NevznachaY
03-02-2010, 05:45 AM
What's the difference between "comfort food" and "homemade/homemade-style food"?

Dadgum Roi
03-02-2010, 06:27 AM
What's the difference between "comfort food" and "homemade/homemade-style food"?

They're often synonymous, but essentially, comfort food is something you eat because it, well, comforts you. You're eating it as much for psychological reasons as you are for taste. It's the gustatory equivalent of musical nostalgia.

Ethan
03-02-2010, 06:35 AM
My comfort foods are wide rice noodles, steamed shrimp dumplings, and daikon cake.

ChefCthulhu
03-02-2010, 06:42 AM
A simple Peanut butter sandwhich on white bread, Kraft Shells and Cheese, or Chik-fila sandwhich... all of them send me into bliss.. though the Chik-fila sandwhich is more like a crack addiction...

PapillonReel
03-02-2010, 06:45 AM
I like to enjoy a bowl of Chicken Noodle Soup from time to time. It soothes the nerves.

MetManMas
03-02-2010, 07:27 AM
A couple of my more recurring comfort foods are Flaming Hot Cheetos (love the flavor kick) and that Lipton Extra Noodle dry soup mix (sometimes mixed with V8), but Bertolli's pasta has been climbing that list as well. The Garlic Shrimp, Penne & Cherry Tomatoes pasta is one of my favorites so far, but they're all really damn good for frozen pasta in a bag.

NevznachaY
03-02-2010, 07:38 AM
They're often synonymous, but essentially, comfort food is something you eat because it, well, comforts you. You're eating it as much for psychological reasons as you are for taste. It's the gustatory equivalent of musical nostalgia.

I see. I kept seeing this phrase around the internet (I've never heard it in a conversation) and this distinction puzzled me.

Daikaiju
03-02-2010, 10:45 PM
...and daikon cake.

??????????????

Luana
03-02-2010, 10:56 PM
All of my comfort foods are Filipino dishes. There's nothing like sinigang (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinigang) and bibingka (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibingka) to make my worries vanish. My mother will call me sometimes and let me know she's starting to cook a batch of sinigang and what do you know? I'm at her doorstep as soon as the pot is ready.

Okay, I take that back. I must add deviled eggs to this list, but only because nobody I know eats them and whenever I'm around them, my eyes light up and oh man, did I just eat half that platter's worth of appetizers?

Comb Stranger
03-03-2010, 01:07 AM
I'm the guy who sucks, plus I got depression, so I eat comfort food pretty much always. My cabinet right now is full of Chef Boyardee Mini Ravioli and little else, and I'm drinking straight from a bottle of mountain dew.

Ethan
03-03-2010, 05:45 AM
??????????????

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CdF_nh1tEpw/R5nouv_iRbI/AAAAAAAACHo/dVX2O7LxLTY/s400/cooking+and+baking+52+114.jpg

It's dim sum food. My father was born in Hong Kong, and Chicago has a pretty big population of southern Chinese immigrants, so we ate this kind of food all the time all through my childhood.

Red Hedgehog
03-03-2010, 01:08 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CdF_nh1tEpw/R5nouv_iRbI/AAAAAAAACHo/dVX2O7LxLTY/s400/cooking+and+baking+52+114.jpg

It's dim sum food. My father was born in Hong Kong, and Chicago has a pretty big population of southern Chinese immigrants, so we ate this kind of food all the time all through my childhood.

You have just made me so hungry. Bastard.

Comb Stranger
03-03-2010, 03:40 PM
I take it back. Reubens. From the Dutch Eatery at Reading Terminal. Omigoshyouguys, so goooood.